Author Topic: I'm Throwing More Gauntlets Than I've Got Hands  (Read 3899 times)

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
I'm Throwing More Gauntlets Than I've Got Hands
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:02:24 AM »
Hello Mustachians. I like financial freedom, badassity, and I've once sported a pretty wild mustache, so I feel right at home.

I'm currently working on a personal challenge with another mustachian to turbo drive a lot of aspects of our life. She's pretty amazing and already has the edge on me in several respects.. she introduced me to this forum as well.

But I'm going to throw down a few gauntlets so that I can be the target of encouragement and acclaim at success or of teasing /  public shaming at failure.

Financial:

I'm already saving into a pension plan & company stock with every paycheque (company matching funds! woo), but my target is to live off my 1st paycheque each month.. with the 2nd paycheque dedicated totally to debt reduction (credit cards, student loans) and savings/investment.

My pension is totally locked in, so if I want to start generating more income I need to top up on RRSPs, fill up my TFSA, and start leading a more frugal lifestyle. The 50% goal should help. Mostly I want the debt gone gone gone. I'll probably be getting a promotion next month which should help.

Freelance:

I'm working on Ramit Sethi's Earn 1K program and starting to brainstorm on some ideas for freelance income on top of my full time job. I'm having a bit of difficulty coming up with something that would be the exact right fit, but really working on beta testing some freelance ideas over the coming months will be a useful one. Of course the more income I make, the easier the financial portion above is and the closer I am to location independence which is my ultimate goal.

Fitness:

The other thing that's important for me to work on is my fitness. I've got a good constitution (I've walked 800 km across Spain, etc), but I'm not in great shape. My goal is to make my ideal weight (83 kg, around 15% body fat) by the time Burning Man comes around which is in the last week of August.

To make this goal I'm planning on signing up for Systema classes (Russian fighting style they teach the Spetsnaz special forces in Russian), biking, signing up for the Spartan Race to motivate me, and doing weight training with Russian kettlebells.

Three gauntlets.. let's do this 2013!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
Re: I'm Throwing More Gauntlets Than I've Got Hands
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 01:05:37 PM »
Awesome! Your enthusiasm is contagious! I've read the E1K materials and also struggled with finding an idea that was right for me. I did the spreadsheet and came up with 30-40 ideas, but none of them passed the "free time" bar (i.e. my new venture would be more interesting than the current things I do in my limited free time).

I'd be interested to hear what you come up with as far as business ideas go!

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 01:23:07 PM »
It's definitely the trickiest part for sure, but in fairness to Ramit, I haven't spent the time / energy I promised when taking the course towards it. Need to buckle down.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »
hm just out of curiosity could you post a link to this earn 1k item? What I've seen online look like phishing scams to me :S

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 02:34:09 PM »
Earn 1K is a course on freelancing that Ramit Sethi developed. It's about building your own freelance business to the point where you can make (target) $1000 on the side.

I've already used some of the strategies to earn one of my friends a 45% increase in her hourly rate. But she's a professional yoga teacher with 13 years experience.. I'd be starting something new. I really like the course, but of course I'd recommend people check it out for themselves. Ramit has a ton of free material of his on his websites.

He's not offering any magic solutions - just applicable concepts on getting your own freelance business (he's not giving you specific ideas- real estate, etc) up and running. I'd read his book and had a lot of success with the concepts and used tons of his free material before taking the plunge. I'm not naturally business minded so it's been a real eye opener for me.

http://earn1k.com/

I'm not trying to promote it, but it's a course I'm going through. Check out the free materials and decide if it seems worthwhile for yourself. Though I'm happy to provide feedback on how the techniques have worked for me.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »
My Mom just visited which killed my Paleo eating for the first few days, but otherwise I feel pretty on track.

startingover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »
Thanks!  I will check this site out.  I have been baking bread and will try recipes for bagels and pita pockets.  I was thinking of using my new day off (I work 4/10's now) to bake and try to sell to my coworkers.  I'm a teacher.  I'm hoping to make a little extra to pay off debt.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 11:17:46 AM »
Took a total slacker day, breaking the mold in the way Mr. Money Moustache did with his spend 1000 self-challenge.

Feel more motivated than ever.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!