Author Topic: I'm starting to juice everyday. Anyone want to join me?  (Read 5347 times)

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm starting to juice everyday. Anyone want to join me?
« on: April 07, 2016, 01:45:53 PM »
Yesterday, I started juicing again.  After many starts and stops, I'm determined to juice everyday.  Does anyone want to join me? 

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I'm starting to juice everyday. Anyone want to join me?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 02:25:37 PM »
I will absolutely join you. I mean...you're inviting us to your place in Montana...yes?

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 02:42:28 PM »
I dunno, how do you plan on dealing with the 'roid rage? And the acne?? ;)

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 03:58:01 PM »
I will absolutely join you. I mean...you're inviting us to your place in Montana...yes?

Ha ha! Sorry it's going to have to be an individual effort! :) However, I'm happy to give good recipes!  My new one I'm doing is:
1 large beet with greens
3 to 4 carrots
2 peeled oranges

Juice together. 

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 03:59:16 PM »

I think you will be fine on one juice a day! :)

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 09:38:17 PM »
Any recommendations for a modestly priced juicer?  (As in <$100)

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 09:56:55 PM »
Any recommendations for a modestly priced juicer?  (As in <$100)

Hi there!  A Jack Lalanne Juicer works great.  Check out Craigslist and bargain with them because most people use juicer a couple of times and then stores it away.  You could get one easily for $30 or under.  I have a Breville. 

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 05:12:25 AM »
I may have to dust off my juicer and join you.  Maybe, I will get things set this weekend and be ready to start next week or maybe just start this Sunday. 

I am one of those people that used it a few times and stored it.  My kitchen space is limited and it makes such a mess but I am determined to use it.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 09:43:01 AM »
so. not to sound like a judgey mcjudgerson- but why are you juicing and isn't it fairly unmustacian to waste the fruit itself?

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 09:48:34 AM »
I may have to dust off my juicer and join you.  Maybe, I will get things set this weekend and be ready to start next week or maybe just start this Sunday. 

I am one of those people that used it a few times and stored it.  My kitchen space is limited and it makes such a mess but I am determined to use it.
\

Great!  Dust it off and let's do it.  It is a pain to clean, but now I clean it immediately after using and it makes it so much easier.  I also put all the scraps in my garden - no waste!  I'll post recipes I really like. 

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 09:55:33 AM »

Not to mention the additional cost of estrogen blockers

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 10:01:56 AM »
so. not to sound like a judgey mcjudgerson- but why are you juicing and isn't it fairly unmustacian to waste the fruit itself?

Judgments are allowed! :)  When you juice, it's the fastest way to get nutrients to your body.  Watch the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead."  You will not believe the transformation in 60 days of Joe Cross.

I'm actually doing primarily vegetables 80% and 20% fruit.  I'm also using mostly organic produce on a budget of $50 per week including cleaning supplies and personal products.  I'm blogging about it.  So far, I made it through week one!  Juicing also makes sure you don't throw away produce.  When something is getting old I make sure to juice it so it doesn't go bad.  When you juice on a regular basis, it's AMAZING how you feel.  I make sure also I juice greens with the vegetables.  (By the way, one of the best greens you can use is dandelion greens.  I just so happen to have an entire yard full of these edible weeds - freshly picked and organic. Ha ha! You can't get much more MMM than that!)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »

Judgments are allowed! :)  When you juice, it's the fastest way to get nutrients to your body.  Watch the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead."  You will not believe the transformation in 60 days of Joe Cross.

He also conveniently sells juicers! Imagine that!

Juicing Is Bad for You and the Earth

I've never been sold on the whole juicing idea.  You use a ton of fruit and veggies to make one glass, you lose out on the fiber content (unless blending vs juicing), and you end up essentially drinking sugar water.  I feel great most everyday and have lots of energy.  I've never blended a drink for health reasons in my life.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 10:42:02 AM »
it seems like an absurd waste of food to me quite frankly.
And- you lose about half the nutrients that you are looking to get when you juice vs consuming them so while I think it's a great way to get extra stuff in there if you have a hard time- I'm still a firm believer in eating what you need. I've never seen the end gain from juicing.  Again- wasting fruit and vegetables seems- very un-MMM to me.

I'd like to add to- if you eat a balanced diet- you get all the nutrients you need- ultimately nutrients are such a small part of your diet you really don't need to go out of your way to get them. The food industry has tainted us into believing EVERY THING we eat must be enriched anf fortified.   Our minimum daily basic nutrient needs can practically be met with a box of cereal and a glass of milk- most people should focus on their macro splits rather than "extra nutrients"  I couldn't even tell you the last time I looked at my nutrient break down.

Regarding the movie it is my understanding that's awfully hard on your body to maintain for any length of time and the results are extremely temporary (regarding the movie)

I want to say I remember someone told me about a few studies regarding the benefits of physically chewing food vs just drinking- like it releases enzymes that help your body process the nutrients- but quite frankly I'm reaching way back and I don't have any evidence for that and I"m limited on my work computer. SO- take that with a hefty dose of table salt.

Eh- i'm all about making improvements- but juicing seems like such an extreme waste to me. but- if it makes you happy - who am I to judge.

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 11:13:45 AM »
it seems like an absurd waste of food to me quite frankly.
And- you lose about half the nutrients that you are looking to get when you juice vs consuming them so while I think it's a great way to get extra stuff in there if you have a hard time- I'm still a firm believer in eating what you need. I've never seen the end gain from juicing.  Again- wasting fruit and vegetables seems- very un-MMM to me.

I'd like to add to- if you eat a balanced diet- you get all the nutrients you need- ultimately nutrients are such a small part of your diet you really don't need to go out of your way to get them. The food industry has tainted us into believing EVERY THING we eat must be enriched anf fortified.   Our minimum daily basic nutrient needs can practically be met with a box of cereal and a glass of milk- most people should focus on their macro splits rather than "extra nutrients"  I couldn't even tell you the last time I looked at my nutrient break down.

Regarding the movie it is my understanding that's awfully hard on your body to maintain for any length of time and the results are extremely temporary (regarding the movie)

I want to say I remember someone told me about a few studies regarding the benefits of physically chewing food vs just drinking- like it releases enzymes that help your body process the nutrients- but quite frankly I'm reaching way back and I don't have any evidence for that and I"m limited on my work computer. SO- take that with a hefty dose of table salt.

Eh- i'm all about making improvements- but juicing seems like such an extreme waste to me. but- if it makes you happy - who am I to judge.

I also think strictly juicing would be hard on a body, that is why I'm just adding 1-2 juices per day and having meals. (But if you're really sick you have to go to extreme measures to get well.)  To me it's not wasting the vegetables and fruit if you consume them.  Most people don't eat enough vegetables or fruit so it's an easy way to get your nutrients that are fresh and unaltered. I always say to people try it and see if it works for you.  If not, that's fine too.  When I juice I feel better.  I also lost three pounds this week, so I'm a happy clam. 

What was very un-MMM is how I used to be.  I would buy produce with the intention of making healthy meals and get too busy and instead buy take-out and then throw all the rotten produce away.  Now I'm making sure EVERYTHING gets used, because you're right - wasting food is ridiculous. 

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 11:39:40 AM »
Another vote for not wasting the skin and flesh of the fruit. I imagine there's more nutrients there, besides the obvious fiber.

cyndre4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 10:41:04 AM »
I've been juicing for about three weeks now. For the nice folks commenting that it's wasteful: There are lots of things you can do with the pulp! You can compost it, use it in baking, etc.
I, too, felt that it was kind of ridiculous. Then I tried mostly juice and sensible raw fruits/veggies/oils for about a week. I'm a generally healthy person, and I honestly couldn't believe the difference. Seriously, guys, the energy and general sense of vibrancy are not to be believed! I've backed it down to about one juice/day. I'm using cucumbers, celery, fresh herbs when they're cheap, carrots and apples. Nothing fancy, and it works out to about $2/juice.
Another thought: I really like roasted beets, but sometimes I just don't have the time. Ok, I almost never have the time. I can juice a whole beet, and the total time is about 45 seconds, including time to cut off most of the skin (this particular veggie doesn't juice the skin well).
I feel like I'm supercharging my food by getting several extra servings of veggies I wouldn't normally eat every day. As a side benefit, I've lost lots of weight and don't feel like 'grazing' all the time. To me, this means I might have been a bit nutritionally deficient is a couple of areas. Now I just feel satisfied, and it feels wonderful!
So for folks who are curious, I'd suggest asking your friends and family to borrow a juicer for a couple of weeks. You can jam just about anything in there, especially produce that was about to go bad anyway... Who hasn't had salad fixings about to go off, then got invited somewhere with friends?

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »
I've been juicing for about three weeks now. For the nice folks commenting that it's wasteful: There are lots of things you can do with the pulp! You can compost it, use it in baking, etc.
I, too, felt that it was kind of ridiculous. Then I tried mostly juice and sensible raw fruits/veggies/oils for about a week. I'm a generally healthy person, and I honestly couldn't believe the difference. Seriously, guys, the energy and general sense of vibrancy are not to be believed! I've backed it down to about one juice/day. I'm using cucumbers, celery, fresh herbs when they're cheap, carrots and apples. Nothing fancy, and it works out to about $2/juice.
Another thought: I really like roasted beets, but sometimes I just don't have the time. Ok, I almost never have the time. I can juice a whole beet, and the total time is about 45 seconds, including time to cut off most of the skin (this particular veggie doesn't juice the skin well).
I feel like I'm supercharging my food by getting several extra servings of veggies I wouldn't normally eat every day. As a side benefit, I've lost lots of weight and don't feel like 'grazing' all the time. To me, this means I might have been a bit nutritionally deficient is a couple of areas. Now I just feel satisfied, and it feels wonderful!
So for folks who are curious, I'd suggest asking your friends and family to borrow a juicer for a couple of weeks. You can jam just about anything in there, especially produce that was about to go bad anyway... Who hasn't had salad fixings about to go off, then got invited somewhere with friends?

Thank you cyndre4 for commenting!  It is so true how easily juicing cuts the cravings for bad foods!  Most people think juicing is mostly fruits - but that is too much sugar without the fiber.  Juicing vegetables with a little fruit (I use apples, lemons and limes as my 20% fruit most of the time.)  I just had a bunch of organic produce going bad - there was no way I was going to be able to eat it all, but I drank it.  If you haven't tried it, it's really does energize you because it's giving you the raw micronutrients you need. 

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 07:00:14 PM »

But still, why not make a smoothie rather than juice? No need for another appliance, no need to find a separate use for the pulp, more nutrients, etc.

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 08:39:43 PM »

But still, why not make a smoothie rather than juice? No need for another appliance, no need to find a separate use for the pulp, more nutrients, etc.

Matthew for fruit I do smoothies.  A "vegetable smoothie" would be extremely thick because of the fiber in things like carrots and celery and trust me - I wouldn't make them.  I don't juice much fruit except lemons, limes and apples to add flavor to the veggie juice.  I do fruit smoothies all the time and I add greens to them. 

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 09:27:20 PM »
Matthew for fruit I do smoothies.  A "vegetable smoothie" would be extremely thick because of the fiber in things like carrots and celery and trust me - I wouldn't make them.  I don't juice much fruit except lemons, limes and apples to add flavor to the veggie juice.  I do fruit smoothies all the time and I add greens to them. 

Interesting, thanks for explaining. I haven't tried root vegetables in my smoothies, just kale/spinach. But I will give it a try tomorrow and maybe water it down to compensate. I have a needlessly powerful blender that might do the trick!

cyndre4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 08:34:01 AM »
I totally tried smoothies at first! And for exactly your reasons: Why not get all of the veggie/fruit goodness, buying another appliance is wasteful, what on earth will I do with the pulp, etc.
And it. Was. Awful. Most juice folks recommend an 80/20 veggie to fruit ratio, or you're basically drinking a candy bar... You're removing the pulp and fiber that slows down absorption, so too much fruit will spike your blood sugar like bejezus. Can you imagine what a big glass of blended kale/beet/carrot/apple might be like? I was chewing the damn thing for hours! And it tasted _terrible_!
In my case, I went to the local salvation army and bought a brand new, in box juicer for $20. It seems like an appliance that lots of folks have, so I'll bet you can borrow one from someone you know to see if you even like it. Something like this is certainly not for everyone, but, again, one glass of juice a day is what I'm doing. The satiation levels are amazing! Getting a giant dose of micronutrients feels great, is quite inexpensive, and you can always juice stuff that's either in season (cheap), or about to go bad in your fridge anyway.