Author Topic: I'm quitting smoking  (Read 5215 times)

thisisjeopardy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm quitting smoking
« on: June 14, 2016, 03:07:37 PM »
$14/pack where I live. It has now officially been 24h. Thanks to reading up stuff at whyquit, and, reading the posts and forums here, I feel I can do this and am motivated by saving money.

Anyone with me?

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
Re: I'm quitting smoking
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 04:39:52 PM »
Congratulations on 24 hours, you can totally do this! $14/pack is obscene; you'll save scads of money (not to mention the health benefits, which in turn ALSO will save you scads of money).

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »
I quit smoking 2 years ago come this October. LOVED smoking, really looked forward to it most times, really, really didn't want to quit.

The money savings was a big part of it, but honestly the health aspects are what really powered me through. I'd just lost my dad the year before to an unrelated to smoking lung condition, and seeing how he struggled in the end gasping for air and the absolute terror when his oxygen wasn't helping really made me think about how awful it would be to end up with something similar - he'd told me the feeling really was the most awful he'd ever experienced - not being able to catch your breath and unable to move without feeling like you're suffocating constantly sounds just plain hell on earth to me.

I am so, so happy I quit. I feel sooooooo much better. I forgot what it was like to not get coughing fits all the time, I can smell and taste so much more than when I smoked, and my stamina and ability to exercise without collapsing in a heap is just exponentially better. And bonus - I don't need to constantly freak out about running out of smokes, or take a smoke break at awkward moments, or get antsy when I am stuck someplace like an airport for hours.

I did quit using nicotine replacement therapy - both gum and patch - and used LOTS behavioral tricks like using a small golf pencil to twiddle with (it felt the same weight as a cig), a straw to suck on, and things like drinking a glass of ice water really fast or sticking my head in the freezer and do some deep breathing (for some reason, frosty air inhaled fast helped simulate the shock of inhaling smoke). But there's lots of other suggestions on the WhyQuit site.

I also downloaded an app (ButtOut) for my phone and obsessed over that when I was in the early days.

Good luck!! You are doing a great thing for yourself so stay strong!! :D

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 05:01:33 PM »
This is the single biggest, best thing you can do for yourself.

It's good for everyone else too, but you are far and away the biggest beneficiary.  It's like you just gave future you the bestest. present. ever.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 12:40:37 AM »
$14/pack where I live. It has now officially been 24h. Thanks to reading up stuff at whyquit, and, reading the posts and forums here, I feel I can do this and am motivated by saving money.

Anyone with me?

Good luck! I hope this goes well for ya.

thisisjeopardy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 10:18:42 AM »
1 day, 18.5 hours since any nicotine. I used to do the replacement stuff but it just prolongs it.. no vapes, gum, nothing. According to my app I have not smoked 25 cigs and saved $17. My biggest test is Thursday night because pub trivia, it's my 'bowling night' so to speak, where the wife doesn't wait up for me, usually smoked a good half a pack and had 5-6 beers over an evening.

Instead of worrying about that, I will think about the hours I went without nicotine and the next hour I won't either, and add on to it :)

Thanks for the responses!

margarita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »
Congratulations ThisisJeopardy and to Frankies Girl.

I quit smoking for the last time 19 years ago. 

I still remember about 20 + years ago when I had on extra weight and was a smoker my doctor told me he was more concerned about the smoking than the extra pounds.

When I was a smoker, when I took a deep breath I felt a pain in my chest.   
After quitting I coughed up brown shit for days. 
All I know is I can never ever have a drag or I could be back there again. 

Hang in there when the going gets tough.  When you really stressed that will be the test.
You can do it! 

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 01:36:53 PM »
I'm not a smoker but wanted to just offer some encouragement. DH was when we were in high school and is so glad he quit. Sticking out the withdrawal is totally badass!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 01:38:13 PM »
Keep going!

You can also get free cessation assistance from most health plans. Counseling, medication, etc. Quit lines can help too. Do what works for you.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 01:53:30 PM »
1 day, 18.5 hours since any nicotine. I used to do the replacement stuff but it just prolongs it.. no vapes, gum, nothing. According to my app I have not smoked 25 cigs and saved $17. My biggest test is Thursday night because pub trivia, it's my 'bowling night' so to speak, where the wife doesn't wait up for me, usually smoked a good half a pack and had 5-6 beers over an evening.

Instead of worrying about that, I will think about the hours I went without nicotine and the next hour I won't either, and add on to it :)

Dude. You may need to rethink going out to places that you drink/smoke at for a while. Exposing yourself to that environment when you're in the beginning stages of quitting - especially being around other smokers - is just a recipe for failure. You're an addict. You are going around second hand smoke and reactivating the nicotine craving if you breathe in any of that, and additionally, drinking while trying to quit is going to SUCK SOOOO MUCH because alcohol lowers your resolve.

I stayed away from places and activities I used to do when I smoked for a good 6 months and actually ended up stopping some hangouts because it was too annoying to go there after quitting. But I can't even imaging trying to do this without nicotine replacement and white knuckling it through a smoke/drinking night.

Seriously. Don't do it. Give it a pass for a while and find a replacement activity until you're much farther down the path. This is very dangerous and fool-hardy.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 04:32:08 PM »

Dude. You may need to rethink going out to places that you drink/smoke at for a while. Exposing yourself to that environment when you're in the beginning stages of quitting - especially being around other smokers - is just a recipe for failure. You're an addict. You are going around second hand smoke and reactivating the nicotine craving if you breathe in any of that, and additionally, drinking while trying to quit is going to SUCK SOOOO MUCH because alcohol lowers your resolve.

I stayed away from places and activities I used to do when I smoked for a good 6 months and actually ended up stopping some hangouts because it was too annoying to go there after quitting. But I can't even imaging trying to do this without nicotine replacement and white knuckling it through a smoke/drinking night.

Seriously. Don't do it. Give it a pass for a while and find a replacement activity until you're much farther down the path. This is very dangerous and fool-hardy.

I agree with every word here. (Cold turkey for the last time 24 years ago, and part of the reason that time took is I changed my habits.)

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 05:30:31 PM »
You are super badass for taking this on. There's very little on earth more addicting than nicotine and I salute you for this undertaking. Kill it!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 09:35:20 PM »
Quit 11 years ago trying everything under the sun. It took me a year of quitting for it to stick. If you mess up don't let it derail you just keep quitting again and again and it will stick! You can do this! Honestly it's one of my proudest accomplishments.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 09:56:16 PM »
I've been there (quit 6 years ago after 17 years of smoking).

You can do this, and you will eventually look back at this moment as the single best decision you ever made.

Stick with it...tough it out... and eventually that switch will go off in your head and you'll suddenly never want to smoke again.

Good luck.
Congratulations... and just like it is with everything that involves long time lines (like retirement), remember:

"A year from now you'll wish you started today."

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 10:16:11 PM »
Much like the money mindset of "today, I no longer finance" quitting smoking is the same mindset.  I smoked for ~20 years.  I tried the cut down method, the patch method, the wellbutrin method.  What worked for me was just stopping. 

Actually what happened was a road trip.  This month last year I went from Fort Worth to Colorado Springs.  I filled up with gas here and headed north.  Dammit, no smokes.  I figured I would stop when the car needed to.  Damn thing gets 44 on the highway.  Rolled all day.  Got to Colorado Springs with no problem and was tired, so I went to bed.   Woke up the next morning and thought "yesterday wasn't so bad, how far can I take it?"  Have not smoked since.  Well, that's a lie. I've hit the hookah three times with some good bourbon. 

projekt

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 02:52:41 PM »
I agree cold turkey is the best way. I quit cold turkey after reading "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking".

For a while I would get cravings. I would go outside and enjoy the fresh air in deep breaths, thinking how much more awesome fresh air is than smoking. I still like the smell of tobacco, but it doesn't make me miss smoking. Life is so much better without.

mynewchoice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 01:24:29 AM »
How are you doing with not smoking?

I recently resumed this bad habit after having quit for awhile, and need to drop it again.  I have always been what I would consider a social smoker, although the social setting is work.  I have never smoked at home or around my wife and kids, and only smoke at work.  When my job recently changed and became more stressful, I found myself back outside with all of my smoking friends at the office.  Now that I have found MMM, I am kicking myself just as much for the money being burned as I am for the health issues that come with smoking.  It is crazy as I can take a vacation and not want to smoke once, but as soon as I get back to work I am instantly craving it--all the more reason to FIRE!

Hope you're still going strong!

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 06:32:31 AM »
Not sure if this is for everyone but I found a drastic cut back on drinking really helped. The banning of smoking in bars really helped for me as well. Not working in restaurants also helped, you get a five minute break and sucking on a cigarette really helps de-stress.

I became a social smoker for a long time and still try a cigarette about once a year now. I almost puke when I take a drag so that's good.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:01:58 PM by human »

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 06:39:27 AM »
Speaking as a nurse on the cardiac floor of our hospital, I'd say the only thing worse than smoking is diabetes for cutting health short. Not ALL of my patients smoke, sometimes it's just genetics, but a lot of them sure do. And the smokers are the ones we see back again after surgery a few months later for another go-around.
Best of luck! Keep on posting here with updates, even if you fall out occasionally.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 07:02:06 AM »
I quit seventeen years ago after 20 years (started at 13, sad to say).  What helped me was cutting down a drinking straw to cigarette size and drawing on it when I got a craving--I was surprised by how well it worked.  Good luck!

projekt

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 04:08:22 PM »
Get the book I mentioned. It really works.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 08:35:52 PM »

Congratulations and respect to you sir.

My Dad was a man with a lot of self discipline, but his one weak spot was smoking. He paid with his life, dead of Lung Cancer aged 69.

I smoked a few years when I was young but I came to my senses and quit (30 years ago). Even just a few years of habit was hard to break. Addiction comes quickly.

Remember two things. When you are craving, it will pass. When the craving leaves, it will return. So be prepared for that. Eventually, the cravings are weaker, fewer, and far between.

You also might want to avoid alcohol and caffeine for a while. The alcohol is a trigger and a destroyer of judgment and self control. Caffeine is a trigger and it can make you so edgy that you crave the calming effect of nicotine.

Simple _Socrates

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 02:02:25 AM »
I smoked 20 a day for 15 years or more, Easy way to stop smoking book mentioned by projekt is definitely the way to go, by the time you finish the book you'll have quit already without even realising you've quit. No withdrawal symptoms or anxiety. In fact it was so ridiculously easy that I stupidly started  smoking again a few years ago on holiday. It wasn't until this second time round that I realised how super addictive nicotine is. I can't describe my absolute horror at what I had done to myself as when I tried to stop it was nearly impossible. Luckily I had kept this book and reread it and again I was able to quit, lucky escape I can tell you.

thisisjeopardy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 10:23:57 AM »
still hanging in there, been a complete recluse, nearly agoraphobic, but still going strong!

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2016, 01:48:22 PM »
still hanging in there, been a complete recluse, nearly agoraphobic, but still going strong!

Keep going.  Do whatever it takes to stay strong.  It's so worth it.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2016, 01:56:52 PM »
I smoked 20 a day for 15 years or more, Easy way to stop smoking book mentioned by projekt is definitely the way to go, by the time you finish the book you'll have quit already without even realising you've quit. No withdrawal symptoms or anxiety. In fact it was so ridiculously easy that I stupidly started  smoking again a few years ago on holiday. It wasn't until this second time round that I realised how super addictive nicotine is. I can't describe my absolute horror at what I had done to myself as when I tried to stop it was nearly impossible. Luckily I had kept this book and reread it and again I was able to quit, lucky escape I can tell you.

There's also a version of that book for people who feel they drink too much. I was at that point a couple years ago, having trouble moderating myself when I drank, and the book was quite helpful in offering some perspective. After reading it, I was actually able to go back to much healthier levels (e.g. 1-2 drinks 2-3 days/week), with surprisingly little effort. The book does advocate total abstention, but I didn't find that step necessary. That said, I have felt like I've been downing a bit too much beer recently, which is bad for my mood, health, and bank account. Might be time for a reread and/or Sober September pledge.

Hang in there, the payoff of healthy living is more than worth any temporary discomfort in getting there!

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2016, 03:58:17 PM »
Just sending thoughts of encouragement. I quit over Lent this year and I feel great.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!