Author Topic: How to Get Married  (Read 5074 times)

FIBy30

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to Get Married
« on: June 29, 2015, 01:29:43 PM »
I thought I would share this with all of you!  http://www.katu.com/news/local/A-very-Portland-wedding-308566151.html

This was my wife's idea and it was how we decided to get married.  We just got back from our honeymoon (week long backpacking trip in Canada) and are still happily married ;)  If anybody else has some cool wedding stories that are non traditional feel free to share!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
Re: How to Get Married
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 01:54:56 PM »
Congratulations on the wedding.

Great idea!!!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »
I'm not married myself, but I do have something to contribute. This actually has nothing to do with the wedding itself but the timing of it all.

I recommended to a friend of mine that she and her fiance get legally married this year despite planning a wedding for next year. Her fiance makes about $100k, which is solidly in the 25% bracket (close to the start of the 28% bracket actually assuming no traditional retirement account contributions). She on the other hand is a student making nothing.
By getting legally married this year, they will still end up in the 25% tax bracket but all of the money is taxed at a lower rate because the tax brackets are wider and they won't be as deep into the 25% bracket. I calculated the tax savings as several thousand dollars (don't remember the exact figures).

Of course, there are non financial considerations to take into account before doing this. Also, some couples will be subject to the "marriage penalty." But it can make sense for some couples.

Gretamom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 08:56:31 PM »
My husband and I got married in Las Vegas. Paid Cash. Still happily married 15 years & 3 kids later.

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 01:55:39 PM »
Courthouse. Less than $200 for marriage license, dress, rings, and parking meter.

Oh, and congrats!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:18:17 PM by iknowiyam »

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 02:01:51 PM »
Congratulations!  Looks like a wonderful wedding!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 02:47:38 PM »
How fun! Congrats!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »
Too cool!  You kids will be married a very long time!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 02:54:44 PM »
MMM himself tweeted about it earlier today.

Potterquilter

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 03:45:13 AM »
Fun!

Married 39 years now, after starting with a JP in the courthouse. The wedding is not the important part, it's the marriage. 

May yours be long and happy.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 04:04:40 AM »
Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do
I'm just crazy, all for the love of you
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you'll look sweet
Upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two

(May be wrong, as I did this from memory) - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLlF-fkC2Os

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 07:01:42 AM »
I'm not married myself, but I do have something to contribute. This actually has nothing to do with the wedding itself but the timing of it all.

I recommended to a friend of mine that she and her fiance get legally married this year despite planning a wedding for next year. Her fiance makes about $100k, which is solidly in the 25% bracket (close to the start of the 28% bracket actually assuming no traditional retirement account contributions). She on the other hand is a student making nothing.
By getting legally married this year, they will still end up in the 25% tax bracket but all of the money is taxed at a lower rate because the tax brackets are wider and they won't be as deep into the 25% bracket. I calculated the tax savings as several thousand dollars (don't remember the exact figures).

Of course, there are non financial considerations to take into account before doing this. Also, some couples will be subject to the "marriage penalty." But it can make sense for some couples.

While we had been talking marriage for a year or two, this was a big impetus for us tying the knot this April. I'll be on a stipend for at least another year, so the disparity in our incomes puts us in the marriage bonus BIG TIME. It's unlikely that we'll ever be close enough to be in the penalty, either.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 07:19:36 AM by midweststache »

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 07:17:19 AM »
Backyard BBQ for us - DH's uncle got ordained and did the ceremony, and it was simple/beautiful/perfect. Absolutely love your idea - congratulations on starting your marriage by doing things exactly your way! LLAP.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 08:41:16 AM »

While we had been talking marriage for a year or two, this was a big impetus for us tying the knot this April. I'll be on a stipend for at least another year, so the disparity in our incomes puts us in the marriage bonus BIG TIME. It's unlikely that we'll ever be close enough to be in the penalty, either.

Even if a couple faced a marriage penalty, I would never recommend putting off marriage, at least not for long. The non-financial benefits such as visitation rights at hospitals, spousal coverage of health insurance, and many more are far more important than the tax implications.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 12:21:23 PM »

I, er, "heard that a friend" filed jointly with his fiance for a year or two before actually getting married for this reason. (The IRS either didn't notice or didn't have a problem with it.)

Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do
I'm just crazy, all for the love of you
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you'll look sweet
Upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two

(May be wrong, as I did this from memory) - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLlF-fkC2Os

I've been wanting a tandem bike for a while now, but now I kind of want one like this. Thanks a lot, Mrs. tempting-to-hedonic-adaptation!

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 07:22:33 PM »
Congratulations! That looked amazing!

We married in my parents' backyard with a home-made dress and food made by my mother, sister, and their friends. It was fairly inexpensive and very enjoyable.

My cousins had a small ceremony in a mountain hut that everyone hiked up to. The reception included the food that was hiked in. That was pretty cool!