Author Topic: Homemade Christmas - 2017 Edition!  (Read 55172 times)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Homemade Christmas - 2017 Edition!
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2017, 09:23:23 AM »
I'm thinking about making foam-core mounted photographs for some people. Yesterday I made a DIY thread about homemade Mixtiles and went out, got everything I needed, and made 3 of them yesterday of the 16 prints I made. I'll make more tonight. I think making a set of 3-4 for each person would be a nice and thoughtful gift. I'd just have to find good photos to use for them. Is something personal like that not a good gift idea? I was thinking it was easy for people with kids and pets but maybe home decorations are too personal to gift.

They cost about $3.50/ea to make.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
Re: Homemade Christmas - 2017 Edition!
« Reply #201 on: September 21, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »
I, personally, would love to receive a gift like this -- especially if the pictures were of me with the person who made the gift for me, or of my pets!

I'm thinking about making foam-core mounted photographs for some people. Yesterday I made a DIY thread about homemade Mixtiles and went out, got everything I needed, and made 3 of them yesterday of the 16 prints I made. I'll make more tonight. I think making a set of 3-4 for each person would be a nice and thoughtful gift. I'd just have to find good photos to use for them. Is something personal like that not a good gift idea? I was thinking it was easy for people with kids and pets but maybe home decorations are too personal to gift.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: September 21, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »
A couple of years ago, I got two unpainted wooden Advent calendars for the price of one. I painted one and it came out beautiful.  I am going to paint another one midnight blue with golden stars, angels, etc. for my brother-in-law's family.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #203 on: September 21, 2017, 06:04:14 PM »

If you know your recipient well enough, I don't think it's too personal at all.  I would think it was a great gift!  However, I do know some people don't like to receive any decor, or even handmade, items, so I'd keep that in mind.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: September 30, 2017, 06:22:32 PM »
Ok guys now it seems like the time of year to get rolling on Christmas gifts!  Also I want to take some photos of my family for our holiday cards.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #205 on: October 01, 2017, 06:26:37 AM »
Yesterday I finally sat down with my SO to make a list of who we need gifts for and who will get what.  I made a batch of brandied pears, which will make gifts for a few people, and today I'll  be making a batch of poached plums in rum syrup for a few more.  We need to acquire some materials for the rest of the gifts, but now at least we have a list of what we need.  Progress!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #206 on: October 09, 2017, 10:19:14 PM »
Christmas 2017 - 10 weeks away???
Hmm - I guess a list is a good start:) Then I'll have a look at my pinterest account for inspiration and join the secret pinterest account for even more inspiration.

So here goes nothing - my preliminary list:

A gift for five couples - all are foodies. Keep at $10 or under. Anything goes - food-chocolate-scents-air fresheners.
A gift for a couple in their late thirties - who have everything - he's a foodie, she would go for something classy - like lavender sachets or similar (laundry additive - fancy healthy snacks.
A gift for a young couple - early twenties - possibly jewelry and chocolate related.
A gift for my SIL - chocolate related - and/or ready made food, so she doesn't have to cook - she'll appreciate that.
A gift for a dear friend and hubby - not a foodie - garden gift or beauty or goat milk soap - she mentioned she liked fig scrub......maybe a bag with a photo of her 65 Mustang - meant to do that last year, but didn't.
A gift for a friend and her daughter - I'll make jewelry for the daughter - possibly Tia Maria style liqueur....
A gift for two couples - one not foodies - possibly soup in a jar for one - garden gift for another - jewelry?

Rum cake???
 I have a pan with six mini bundt cake forms - I could do rum cake - using an old Bacardi recipe with brown sugar and nuts for topping and old fashioned icing, marbled cake with chocolate glaze, blueberry with lemon icing, vanilla with vanilla-raspberry swirl icing, lemon with lemon icing.

Maybe something with peanut butter or pistachios or Nutella or cashews for about five of the guys???

I made killer french coconut confection from a very old recipe last year, if I can find that recipe again... - not entirely easy to do, but oh so so worth it.

I'll be back once I have a better idea as to what I want to go for - then I need a schedule.
 Jewelry can be made well ahead, but I need to find out how long that Tia Maria style liqueur is good for. Maybe three or more bottles?
Soaps or anything scented can all be started now.
I certainly want to do the shopping bag with the photo of her antique Mustang. Possibly make her a bird bath from thrifted glass?

The jewelry gifts may not cost me anything, since I have a nice stash of gemstones and beads as well. Possibly three necklace and earring sets.
I do like the mini bundt cakes idea, but I'll have to research wrapping and transportation - since that could be a problem. Mushed cake would not be attractive:)

Rum balls??? - not sure that I have a good recipe - how long do they keep? Container? The ball jars in that antique french blue look great and they are not too large either. Also, the dollar store had pretty sealed jars, like antique cut glass, candy jars - small ones, I could do a set of three which would look fancy...

Looking forward to doing this - although I've shied away from anything homemade in the past for fear that my gifts might not be enjoyed as much. But, I've dabbled a bit here and there, so hopefully I have a good grip on what might be well received.

... and while I'm at it - who has a killer caramel - soft caramel - recipe - idea? I love caramel... :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: October 09, 2017, 10:32:22 PM »
I recently made this blackberry liqueur and it was delicious and easy. Just in case anyone is looking for an easy crowd-pleasing alcoholic gift!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #208 on: October 09, 2017, 11:12:31 PM »
Posting to trawl through later for ideas for neighbour gifts. Edible gifts are ideal but on one side there is a family including 3 gym junkies who don't eat carbs or sugar (they got spiced nuts last year).

I read a book recently where someone had a rosemary bush trimmed in the shape of a xmas tree. I hadn't seen that before but I figured (ok this is a very long term plan) that if I could propagate some rosemary bushes, at some point I would have a handy gift ready. Likewise chillis with the red fruit and a bit of xmassy sparkle added could be good.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2017, 05:04:58 AM »
Rosy, I've been making these caramels for a few years and they're always well received. Just leave out the bourbon and dial way back on the salt for normal caramels.

I've got three stained glass crosses made with help from a friend for DH's extended family who I never know what to get for.

Knitting:
A pair of house socks for my best friend - started last week and almost 25% complete
A beanie for my brother's girlfriend - the Koolhaas pattern is my go-to but I've got my brother subtly asking questions to find out what color and if she'd prefer something plainer
A Daniel Tiger sweater for my son - just a simple red hoodie with a trolley patch stitched on.

I've recently become intrigued by the concept of bento bags, and am thinking of sewing some up with the Christmas fabric I have stashed to use as reusable gift bags. Last year I did furoshiki style wrapping with Christmas fabric for gifts within my family (so I could get the fabric back to reuse).

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: October 10, 2017, 06:41:52 AM »
Apparently I'm the food-producer in the family, which is weird.  I'm guessing I'm just the one who enjoys it the most.  I've recently gotten requests for:

- Reece's Peanut Butter cup banana bread
- Jam
- Homemade rosemary and garlic bread
- Kolach (I actually don't know how to make this, but she "has a recipe" for me, lol)
- Shortbread
- Sugar cookies
- Tiramisu (which I also don't know how to make, so I guess I get to experiment)
- Liverwurst
- Muddy Buddies/puppy chow for everyone

So, everyone in my immediate family is getting food :)  Easy enough for me!  It is a good plan, honestly, because my aunt and uncle live in a little house with no room for extra tchotchkes, my parents have lived in the same house for 25 years and need nothing, my mother-in-law is trying to downsize so she can move, and my sister and sister-in-law live in bedrooms in other people's houses.  Now if only I could get them to give me consumables for gifts too...

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2017, 06:59:15 AM »
I'm making 3 pairs of flannel pyama pants as gifts today. One will be for myself :D The others for my partner and a friend who's coming over at Christmas. We are planning to watch Netflix in our pyamas.

I will also do a lot of cooking, but for our guests, not as gifts. In my country, gift-giving at Christmas isn't that big of a deal as it seems to be in the US, luckily.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #212 on: October 11, 2017, 05:08:43 PM »
Rosy, I've been making these caramels for a few years and they're always well received. Just leave out the bourbon and dial way back on the salt for normal caramels.

I've got three stained glass crosses made with help from a friend for DH's extended family who I never know what to get for.

Knitting:
A pair of house socks for my best friend - started last week and almost 25% complete
A beanie for my brother's girlfriend - the Koolhaas pattern is my go-to but I've got my brother subtly asking questions to find out what color and if she'd prefer something plainer
A Daniel Tiger sweater for my son - just a simple red hoodie with a trolley patch stitched on.

I've recently become intrigued by the concept of bento bags, and am thinking of sewing some up with the Christmas fabric I have stashed to use as reusable gift bags. Last year I did furoshiki style wrapping with Christmas fabric for gifts within my family (so I could get the fabric back to reuse).

Oh my - thank you ever so much froogle poodle:)! Sweet-salty-boozy, why YES please. I'll try a coffee liqueur and dark rum instead of the bourbon - just for fun and of course plenty non-alcoholic salty and non-salty caramels too.
Giving that a trial run this weekend - yes, ma'am:)

You know I like the idea of using Christmas fabric to wrap or make a bag - I'm not good at sewing, but I think I could handle that. If I just stitched it together and then used pinking shears instead of doing a nice corner sewing job - maybe attach some jingle bells? and use a pretty ribbon instead of sewing a proper threaded band?
Maybe make a couple of placemats?
Then again, the caramels might look prettier in a box or a fancy glass jar...

If I did a trio or mix of something - say three different mini bundt cakes and three kinds of "adult" chocolates or confections - maybe rum balls - caramels - ?
I think it will be fun doing a creative presentation.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #213 on: October 15, 2017, 12:29:36 PM »
Is mid-October way too late to be planning to do an all homemade Christmsas?! Eep.

Feeling very inspired, and looking forward to getting access to the Pinterest board. My ideas:

Dad: Healthy food trio (he's recently vegan-ish) - spiced nuts + apple rings + chocolate covered espresso beans
Mom: Jam trio (plum, orange marmalade, maybe raspberry?) + jar of granola that she loves (http://www.badgirldiy.com/2016/10/30/the-best-ever-granola/)
Brother: Homemade Kahlua, or if I can get my knitting game strong enough in time - a toque (beanie for you non-Canadians!)
Husband: "Man-Bombs" = manly bath bombs! Going to try to find some fun flavour/scent combos. (http://abeautifulmess.com/2015/03/homemade-bath-bombs.html)
Father-in-Law: Homemade Kahlua?
Mother-in-Law & Sister-in-Law: Soap + sugar scrub + moisturizer combo? A girlfriend made this for me years ago, and spraypainted the top of small mason jar lids gold, and glued gold-painted animal figurines on top. It was very cute (and pretty) to have these little jars with gold giraffes, hippos, etc on top)
Brother-in-Law: "Man-Bombs"
5-year-old Nephew: Hidden toy soaps? http://homemadeforelle.com/homemade-soap-kids-hidden-toys/
2-year-old Niece: Pom-pom scarf http://sheepandstitch.com/shop/the-baby-pom-scarf-pattern/
Grandma: Jam trio + jar of granola

For work and for the friends that stop by I'll have extras of the jams and snacks, plus I'll do some baking.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #214 on: October 15, 2017, 12:51:53 PM »
I sewed up the first pair of pyama pants today! It was easy to do and really fast. The only problem i have is that they take a little more fabric than I thought they would - 2,2 yards instead of the 2 I calculated, so I'm ending up more than half a yard short if I want to make 3. I'm trying to find some more of this fabric, or a different fabric all together for the last pair now.

My youngest brother is moving out around Christmas, so I'm thinking of making something for his new place. I'm still deciding what I'll make.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #215 on: October 16, 2017, 11:54:43 AM »
I've been thinking of trying to pickle Daikon Radish, and have found a number of recipes online, but I thought I'd check here first to see if anyone has a tried and true recipe? 

I LOVE pickled radish and it's the perfect complement to spicy food (especially Asian), so I think it would be a great gift to friends who LOVE spicy food. 

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2017, 09:39:01 PM »
I'm thinking of making "simmer pots" with fancy labels and dried ingredients.

Like this, sort of:http://www.nestofposies-blog.com/2014/11/christmas-jar-mulling-spices/

Apparently bulk "mulling spices" are about $7 a lb, and contain orange peel, cloves, cinnamon and most spices.

If I use dried orange slices (DIY) and pine sprigs, my only question is how well the fresh cranberries keep.

Does anyone know how well fresh cranberries keep out of the fridge, or if something like this would be OK out of the fridge for a few days?

I've also thought about selling some at holiday craft fairs, but I wonder if I'd have to separately baggie the cranberries inside the jar and give it a "lifespan" in the fridge.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: October 16, 2017, 10:51:03 PM »

Like this, sort of:http://www.nestofposies-blog.com/2014/11/christmas-jar-mulling-spices/

Apparently bulk "mulling spices" are about $7 a lb, and contain orange peel, cloves, cinnamon and most spices.

If I use dried orange slices (DIY) and pine sprigs, my only question is how well the fresh cranberries keep.

Does anyone know how well fresh cranberries keep out of the fridge, or if something like this would be OK out of the fridge for a few days?

I've also thought about selling some at holiday craft fairs, but I wonder if I'd have to separately baggie the cranberries inside the jar and give it a "lifespan" in the fridge.

Use dried cranberries maybe? Would it work?

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #218 on: October 16, 2017, 11:32:36 PM »

Use dried cranberries maybe? Would it work?

I think it would SMELL fine, but the visuals aren't as great as fresh pine/cranberries.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2017, 05:58:49 AM »

Cranberries should be fine on the counter for a few days.  I'd think they'd last about as long as the pine before starting to turn (depending what kind of pine you use, I guess) - fresh ingredients are never going to last that long, but they should be good for a few days, as long as you inspect them for soft spots, etc before adding them in.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #220 on: October 18, 2017, 06:55:31 PM »
I'm not hand making my entire Christmas... but I have almost 20 work gifts and a handful of friend that I want to make things for:

Sugar scrubs
Herbs in recycled containers
Banana bread
Shortbread
Maybe rum balls

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #221 on: October 19, 2017, 01:05:39 PM »
We started a batch of Christmas Ale this weekend -- using hops we grew. We'll bottle this in Grolsch-type bottles with a fancy label and gift it to friends and neighbors -- always a hit.

So far I've made some zippered pouches out of fancy fabric and filled them with useful desk items (band-aids, lip balm, nail file, breath freshener, etc.) for a couple of friends. I knit my MIL a pair of slippers. I was shopping with another friend and she was oohing and ahhing over these fancy patchwork and lace hearts, so I made her a couple of those. I'm going to make some jewelry for my MIL and a couple of other friends, and several food gifts. My husband and I are taking a big trip to Alaska next June and have agreed to only exchange stockings this year, so I'm still trying to think of a few little things to go in his stocking -- and something for my FIL, who wants or needs nothing. I have a good supply of homemade jams to hand out to our mail carrier, choir director, etc. I usually give an assortment and they have always been well received.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2017, 02:19:08 AM »
finished.  Made a block print and attached calendar pages to it, like an old timely hardware store calendar.  It's pretty cool, but was a really low cost gift. I'm traveling, so left them all with a sibling to hide them under the tree.  Will be a surprise for most of the rest of the fam.  It's a small gift so I guess the surprise will add weight to it.

18 gifts. My only expense was a roll of plain dollar tree paper to wrap them. I cut snowflake name tags out of scrap paper. And supplies for the rest were on hand, left over from previous projects.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #223 on: November 03, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »
Oh, I really like the calendar idea!

We bottled the Christmas Ale this morning -- most of it in our collection of Grolsch bottles. All that's left is to  make a fancy label. It looks and tastes fabulous.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #224 on: November 04, 2017, 07:13:29 PM »
finished.  Made a block print and attached calendar pages to it, like an old timely hardware store calendar.  It's pretty cool, but was a really low cost gift. I'm traveling, so left them all with a sibling to hide them under the tree.  Will be a surprise for most of the rest of the fam.  It's a small gift so I guess the surprise will add weight to it.

18 gifts. My only expense was a roll of plain dollar tree paper to wrap them. I cut snowflake name tags out of scrap paper. And supplies for the rest were on hand, left over from previous projects.

Do you have pictures? I love this idea!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: November 05, 2017, 07:43:00 AM »

Do you have pictures? I love this idea!

No photos. Sorry Mbot.  Maintaining anonymity on these forums.  My art is too revealing. 

I can give a little more of a walk through.

I used a heavy cotton paper roughly 12 inches wide by 15 inches long.

I registered it so that my 8.5x11 block print was centered L-R and 2 inches down on the page.  After drying I scored and folded the top 1.5 inches of paper toward the back and glued it down to prevent sagging. Punched a hole for hanging (reinforced some holes with packing tape hidden on the back, punching after taping.

Calendar pages are stapled under the print.  I formatted each month to print 4x11, two to a page of regular sized landscape printer paper.  This made it really cheap to print, but it looked less like a standard size. This fit my stapler so I didn't need a long arm.  You could use any size and staple from the sides vertically, but I wanted the staples horizontal.

It would be easy to use a family photo or kid's drawing, slap it on poster board and add calendar pages. 

I wanted something that played between practical and fine art.  Each one I made is an original print, signed and numbered.  But they are casual.  My family will enjoy these, but not be obligated to keep a piece that might not fit their aesthetic.

Calendars have been my thing the past couple years. The older generation loves to have something so practical be something personal, and they always need a new one each year!  My siblings are all digital, have never used a paper calendar, but I know they are going to be into this quaint but modern take on it, with no strings attached to the gift.  They are also inexpensive to mail and about the right time investment for me. 

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #226 on: November 05, 2017, 08:03:11 AM »
A friend asked me to make items for a table for a bazaar she is running.  I'm not interested in selling my stuff at all, but agreed to help her out.  I will make some tote bags, some reusable gift bags, little zippered coin purses and small zippered bags, pot holders, skillet handle pot holders, etc.  I'm using "fun" fabrics with Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, Nerds (the candy), frogs, etc, rather than Christmas fabric.  Whatever I have left after the bazaar will likely end up going to family as gifts. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #227 on: November 05, 2017, 02:19:05 PM »
Update:
Made a little bit of progress...

1. Found two cool, fancy, red velvet lined Christmas baskets at the thrift store for $3.99 each and discovered I had a third, a plain gold basket suitable for re-gifting, once I spray it with glitter white/gold.

At the discount store, I found a white china bowl with gold antler handles perfect for packaging up baked goods and/or rum balls. Adding in some fun Christmas kitchen towels and one of my gifts and nice presentation is done!
(I know it will match her china and decor)

2. Still dealing with outdoor projects, so I doubt much will happen before the 15th of Nov - trying to have my studio work area set up by then, so I can start making the two, perhaps more, jewelry gifts. I don't like to be rushed when I design my jewelry, but I checked to see that I have everything, except I may need to pick up a couple of different closures-depending.

3. It will definitely not all be homemade, but I was happy to find some exquisite, quality scented candles at Marshal's at a good price. Scented candles and sweets are always appreciated by 80% of my friends and family. So there will be baking and caramels and rum balls for everyone along with the candles.
The other 20% is a little tougher to find appropriate gifts for.

4. Ordering a set of canvas shopping bags in three sizes to be printed with my photo of my friend's 1965 turquoise Mustang. Can't wait to see how that will turn out. It is from my own photography website, so I will get a discount, thankfully - since that is rather pricey, but I think the end result will be worth it. She takes her bags to Saturday market etc...

5. Found two serene, grey Buddha head planters for only $5.99, which I will plant with herbs (maybe lemon balm for tea or a spiky zebra grass for show). Maybe I'll add in new garden gloves and a couple of seed packets or a new windchime. We are all garden buddies, so I know that gloves, seeds and wind chimes are always welcome.

6. The third gift basket is also practically done, except for the baking - set of Christmas towels (her old ones are wearing out), found several brand new mystery books at the local thrift store for one dollar each-her favorite read:), a frozen casserole - she hates to cook:), but I love to cook:) and a bottle of Bailey's - decorated in a Christmas theme.
Pinterest had some amazing ideas, can't wait to give it a try - I love decoupage projects mixed with other art media.

Great ideas and some very talented people on this thread - enjoy the season:)
Each holiday season only comes around once in your lifetime...

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #228 on: November 20, 2017, 08:06:47 AM »
We worked on some gifts this past weekend. My husband bottled the Christmas Ale he brewed. The portion we plan to give as gifts is in Grolsch-style bottles. He added some labels he designed.

I made rosemary-peppermint shaving lotion for my FIL and hubby. I also made some therapeutic bath tablets (think bath fizzies that look like giant alka-seltzers, made with Epsom salts and essential oils.) These are going to my FIL and one of my best friends, both of whom really struggle with arthritis pain. I know my FIL takes baths instead of showers, so I'm hoping popping a couple of these in the bath will be soothing. (These exactly fit in a Pringles can, which we don't usually eat, but we do like them, so I'm going to buy a couple cans, empty out the chips for us, then cover the cans in Christmas paper, stick a bow on top and call it good.)

My FIL is particularly difficult to shop for -- at 86 he doesn't need anything, and has a lifetime supply of clothes. Two years ago we gave him a Kindle, which he does enjoy, so we'll add an Amazon GC to his gift for more books.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #229 on: November 20, 2017, 08:14:47 AM »
Mtngirl - can you share the shaving lotion recipe.

I have rosemary, mint, lavender, and  lemon balm and am always looking for ways to use them.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #230 on: November 20, 2017, 11:28:05 AM »

I have rosemary, mint, lavender, and  lemon balm and am always looking for ways to use them.

I used the recipe at this site -- really easy and it came out great -- http://foodformyfamily.com/manic-organic/rosemary-mint-shaving-cream-homemade-gift-ideas

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #231 on: November 20, 2017, 12:14:31 PM »
I have two pairs of homemade pyama pants, I finished up a pile of quilted potholders made from mostly scraps and I'm working on a cross stitched picture for a friend. I am looking for fabric to make more pants, but flannel and fleece are hard to find around here, especially if you want a print fabric instead of a solid colour.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #232 on: November 20, 2017, 03:11:16 PM »

I used the recipe at this site -- really easy and it came out great -- http://foodformyfamily.com/manic-organic/rosemary-mint-shaving-cream-homemade-gift-ideas
e

Thanks!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #233 on: November 20, 2017, 04:30:25 PM »
Got the stained glass ornaments done finally.  I did a dinosaur for grandson, a Bearded Collie for DS, and a tree made out of different types of clear glass for DIL.  I use the ornaments as gift tags - everyone knows which one is theirs because I try and make them personal.   Also made 2 plant stakes for my Mom - a rose, and a sort of generic yellow flower.  (can't post photos because the site is refusing to upload!).

I think I will make the cinnamon almonds again - those seemed to go over well last year.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #234 on: November 20, 2017, 05:05:22 PM »
I'll be traveling to stay with my family for almost three weeks this year, which means any food gifts either cannot require refrigeration or have to be made covertly in the house of the people they are for... Which is a shame, because I have a flourishing basil plant and homemade pesto sounded like a great idea. Unfortunately I don't trust it at room temp on a plane ride, nor do I particularly want to go through security with it.

I do plan to help a lot with meal prep while I'm there, which will be a gift of its own to my mom. I've also thought of jars of pre-mixed mug cookie materials - add butter and egg, no measuring necessary. I'd love to do homemade candles but I think that will have to wait until next year. Dad and brothers are harder. And my sister has already cornered the market on family knitted/crocheted/fabric gifts!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #235 on: November 27, 2017, 07:44:10 AM »
I just finished up my first batch of Raspberry Rhubarb Jalapeno jam.  I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it set well, at least.  I still have a lot to do, but now I've got jam and pickles done, so it is a good start :)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #236 on: November 27, 2017, 02:30:13 PM »
I'm gifting two x couple friends that don't have gardens a tomato plant with a marigold and nasturtiums planted on the edge. I just used old plastic pots I had and the seeds and seedlings cost cents. It's not at all gifty looking but I think they'll like it - we don't formally exchange gifts between the adults. I'm going to get a mini watering can to go with it to involve their kids. I might sound like Scrooge but last year the kids got so many presents from their large extended families and there was barely a thank you for ours that got lost in the piles and piles of plastic stuff so I'm not going to bother with specific kid stuff this year. I won't see them close to the actual day anyway.

Other couple friends who have black thumbs and no kids are getting tiny succulents in a pot. Impossible to kill. Got the succulents free from the garden and the pot was free on the side of the road. I might give the same to my neighbours. One side is brand new and I want to start off on the right foot with xmas gift expectations (homemade & low cost!)

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: November 28, 2017, 06:26:05 AM »
Ack, is it too late to start??

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #238 on: November 28, 2017, 09:12:01 AM »

Never!

Our Advent calendars have been an adventure. We originally started with the idea of bags, becuase my family has the traditional Danish advent calendars with little loops. After doing three sets we decided there was no way we were going to all that work in packaging the bags - So I have several hundred muslin bags to do something with (damn cheap bulk rate) so I'm thinking mulling spices, bath teas...ummm anyone got some good ideas?

Hubs designed and crafted tea boxes and they are pretty cute.  We created descriptions and quotes for each Tea. Hubs went to a huge amount of work creating a spreadsheet and figuring out which tea would be best for which day depending on if it was a workday or if it would be a good mid-week pick me up and such. We have given out one set so far and the response has been awesome so we'll see how everyone else likes them.

Although, this was a huge project and we are way behind on everything else we wanted to get done, so crunch time!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: November 28, 2017, 11:10:01 AM »

Never!

Our Advent calendars have been an adventure. We originally started with the idea of bags, becuase my family has the traditional Danish advent calendars with little loops. After doing three sets we decided there was no way we were going to all that work in packaging the bags - So I have several hundred muslin bags to do something with (damn cheap bulk rate) so I'm thinking mulling spices, bath teas...ummm anyone got some good ideas?

Hubs designed and crafted tea boxes and they are pretty cute.  We created descriptions and quotes for each Tea. Hubs went to a huge amount of work creating a spreadsheet and figuring out which tea would be best for which day depending on if it was a workday or if it would be a good mid-week pick me up and such. We have given out one set so far and the response has been awesome so we'll see how everyone else likes them.

Although, this was a huge project and we are way behind on everything else we wanted to get done, so crunch time!

Agreed, never too late to start, KBecks, though you should adjust your expectations accordingly! ;-)

Does it count if something I'm giving is homemade by someone else?  Bought some hot pepper jelly at my old church's Christmas bazaar.  My friend and her mother are two of the main organizers (and makers of things!) so I like to support them.  It was a bit pricey, because I got there after the loose jars had already sold, so I had to buy the little sets packaged up with plates and bowls and holiday frippery.  I had to pay the higher price, but I got them to open up the sets and just give me the jam - I didn't really want everything else!  Anyway, the jam, plus a smallish box of chocolates each (bought on sale and/or unashamedly re-gifted), will go into gifts for the 4 main volunteer leaders at my church.  I'm also planning to make a loaf of onion bread for each of them.  A quick bread (non-yeast), easy to mix up one big batch and bake in disposable loaf pans.  These were a big hit a few years back, a little savoury to break up all the sweets people get at this time of year.  So I guess you could say there's a bit of a savoury/sweet theme going on.

edited to add - swick, you don't make jewellery, do you?  Because little muslin bags sound perfect for packaging a quick pair of earrings, which are quick and easy to make.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2017, 08:36:28 AM »
Got this great email today - toilet paper wrappers => fancy gift bows. Life changing. Sorry for terrible link.

https://au.whogivesacrap.org/pages/naughty-and-nice-crafting?utm_campaign=XMAS_CraftReminder_NonXMASPurchasers_yp60days+%28P3TP8K%29&utm_medium=email&_ke=amFuZS50eWxlckBpaW5ldC5uZXQuYXU%3D&utm_source=Who+Gives+a+Crap+Australia

I'm now envious of Australian toilet paper that comes in fancy paper wrappers. Ours is either in white paper or plastic.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #242 on: November 30, 2017, 08:39:26 AM »
This weekend I made a necklace for the woman who is like my adopted grandmother. I have a lot of pretty beads I've collected over the years, so this was easy and I know she will enjoy it.

I am making a bunch of bookmarks to go in books we are gifting my husband's parents, and some for us as well. One of our dogs likes to steal bookmarks and tear them up, so we are always in need.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2017, 01:05:40 PM »
Used this mulling spice (not an affiliate link, is a Canadian amazon link for any Canadians out there)  + some small craft store baggies + homemade dried lemons to make "simmer pot potpourri." The lemons are more for additional bulk in the bag than to add any real scent.

It smells VERY nice when simmered in a pot of boiling water... about 2 teaspoons to a tablespoon each time... and I've already given two as small gifts. I left out the cranberries for now.

The local gift store sells small cheesecloth-wrapped bundles of mulling spice, so I'm also going to try doing some with gift tags at a craft sale tomorrow - we'll see if it sells any that way. If not it makes more nice gifts!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: December 15, 2017, 08:57:12 AM »
I'm 3/4ths of the way through knitting these fingerless gloves for a wonderful older lady who does a lot of volunteer work. They are very fast!
http://www.artqualia.com/patterns/Swirling%20Gauntlets.pdf

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #245 on: December 18, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »
I am taking over the stocking stuffer role from my MIL this year.  Everyone will get bags of Snowman poop, the women are getting monogrammed Redneck Yeti's and the men are getting toilet paper (they all have different sayings).  Plus lottery tickets (my SIL is buying) and candy and cookies.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #246 on: December 19, 2017, 06:10:08 AM »
DD and I made lavender and rose scented soaps for her teachers. Her class got a gingerbread house to share and gingerbread cookies with homemade icing to decorate as a class activity.

There are some great gingerbread cookie recipes on allrecipes.com.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #247 on: December 19, 2017, 01:12:58 PM »
I made 5 little zipper pouches, using supplies I had on hand, for teacher gifts. I added a $10 gc in each to a local coffee shop, but next year I think I'll just put cheap candy inside. For the preschool teachers (who I know really well, as opposed to the public school teachers), I made Japanese knot bag wine totes and put a bottle in each (4).
That was the extent of my homemade gifts this year, and pretty much the extent of our gifting besides our own kids.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: December 22, 2017, 09:56:06 PM »
https://draxe.com/homemade-deodorant/

I made little pots of this for some of my adult children's stockings. I've been using it myself for a year and love it! I also made a HUGE batch of granola to give as gifts. It started with 32 cups of oats, 8 cups of coconut etc etc.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #249 on: December 22, 2017, 10:57:38 PM »
I decided to make all the guys a set of hot pads, choosing fabrics that matched their interests (logs, sailboats, and Star Wars), and made little bag/mini purses for the gals.  The guys like to cook, and we all use cast iron, so the hot pads should go over well (the skinny one is for skillets).