Author Topic: Homemade Christmas - 2017 Edition!  (Read 55236 times)

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
Re: Homemade Christmas - 2017 Edition!
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2017, 09:26:47 PM »
Posting to follow! I bought a sewing machine at the thrift store and want to learn how to use it. Any beginner-friendly sewing projects that make good gifts?

Simple tote bags.

Double sided receiving blankets--take two pieces of flannel/other soft material, right sides together, sew 1" seam around the edge, leaving a hole to push fabric through.  Turn right side out through the hole, then sew another seam about 1/2" around the edge, folding the fabric from the hole under and stitching closed as you go.  Flannel really frays when washed, so you want a good seam allowance.  When doing these blankets, I don't wash the flannel first.  You don't have to stitch in the middle, but you could if you wanted.  My machine has some fancy stitches, so I use those for the outer edge.

PJ pants (I purchase patterns from JoAnne's when they go on sale).

Pillowcases

Stocking

Gift bag (basically a pillowcase with a drawstring)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2017, 10:13:17 AM »
I want to jump on the vanilla extract bandwagon! What do you guys bottle them in? I'd imagine jars are kind of hard to pour out of, should I look for bottles on AliExpress or something where shipping time doesn't matter this far out?

I've had my eye on soapmaking for some time and think I will give that a shot too. I can make Oatmeal Stout soaps for the men and maybe green-eyed bentonite or goat's milk and honey for the ladies. Ideas appreciated!

I'd like to also make a sugar scrub to go with the soaps, I'll have to look up recipes.

I guess my first step is to figure out recipes and containers! I'd like to print sleeves for the soaps and find jars for the scrubs and vanilla extract. 😊

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
I want to jump on the vanilla extract bandwagon! What do you guys bottle them in? I'd imagine jars are kind of hard to pour out of, should I look for bottles on AliExpress or something where shipping time doesn't matter this far out?

I've had my eye on soapmaking for some time and think I will give that a shot too. I can make Oatmeal Stout soaps for the men and maybe green-eyed bentonite or goat's milk and honey for the ladies. Ideas appreciated!

I'd like to also make a sugar scrub to go with the soaps, I'll have to look up recipes.

I guess my first step is to figure out recipes and containers! I'd like to print sleeves for the soaps and find jars for the scrubs and vanilla extract. 😊

You can wait on final containers for the vanilla until close the holidays.  I bought a couple of cases from the local glass bottle company but only bc we were making a lot of herbal medicines at the time.  I think Amazon has some pretty good deals for small quantities or just save up interesting small jars/ask friends/ go to thrift stores......  I then used a cricut to make a pretty label for them last time.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »

Many moons ago someone on a Homemade Christmas thread suggested Specialty Bottles: http://www.specialtybottle.com/ They are great! The only thing I would suggest is what you need for packaging BEFORE you start sopiing or you will see many uses for all the packaging and end up not having to buy any for years *cough* which is not a bad thing, per se....  But yeah, cobalt blue containers with a fancy looking label make everything look super professional. I had an aunt *gush* over a sugar scrub I made and then argued with me when I tried to tell her I didn't buy it :)

Loving everyone's project shares! Those felt food and felt blocks are AWESOME!

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »

Many moons ago someone on a Homemade Christmas thread suggested Specialty Bottles: http://www.specialtybottle.com/ They are great! The only thing I would suggest is what you need for packaging BEFORE you start sopiing or you will see many uses for all the packaging and end up not having to buy any for years *cough* which is not a bad thing, per se....  But yeah, cobalt blue containers with a fancy looking label make everything look super professional. I had an aunt *gush* over a sugar scrub I made and then argued with me when I tried to tell her I didn't buy it :)

Do you happen to still have the recipe for the sugar scrub??

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: May 05, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »

Do you happen to still have the recipe for the sugar scrub??

Ohh it was a few years ago, I'll have to dig through my notes (if I kept them, I've moved a couple of times since) It is basically just a carrier oil combo (Almond, apricot, jojoba, whatever you want to use) The very cheapest would be grapeseed oil as it is light and absorbs well and is neutral in colour and smell, Sugar, a few drops of essential oil* and whatever mix-ins you want. I went with lavender oil and ground up vanilla bean. You basically add your dry ingredients into the bowl and add enough carrier oil to make it moist and scoopable.

*If you are using EO's stay away from any citruses that are Photosensitive or make sure you buy ones that have the terpenes removed.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2017, 05:42:27 PM »

I guess my first step is to figure out recipes and containers! I'd like to print sleeves for the soaps and find jars for the scrubs and vanilla extract.

Wow, thanks so much for that website! I'm looking at it now and it's perfect. So I guess at this point I'm trying to figure out how to be the most frugal with this - limiting and re-using different ingredients. I'm going to start on the vanilla extract in June so that it's got plenty of time to get where it needs to be by December 25, and then I'm thinking I can just put 1/2 or 1/4 of a bean (split and halved) into each of 10 bottles for decoration, and then dry out and powder the rest of the beans for a sugar scrub / soap? Hmm.

This is going to be my first Christmas doing primarily hand-made, and I'm definitely appreciating the planning that goes into this! I had no idea.

I've already decided I'm making 10 bottles of vanilla extract, 12 jars of peppermint-sugar scrub, and have the bottles/labels/jars/decorations planned for those. I'm trying to organize a "theme" so that the gifts don't feel too piecemeal. I'm in the process of planning a vanilla (maybe vanilla-mint?) handmade soap and/or lotion bars that I could put some of the vanilla bean powder into once the extract is ready, but then the vanilla extract kind of seems out of place.

Any ideas as to how I should tie that in? Or should I keep that as maybe a separate gift type and pair it with candied almonds/pecans and other goodies?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 07:09:19 PM by lexde »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: May 06, 2017, 09:19:15 AM »
I've already decided I'm making 10 bottles of vanilla extract, 12 jars of peppermint-sugar scrub, and have the bottles/labels/jars/decorations planned for those. I'm trying to organize a "theme" so that the gifts don't feel too piecemeal. I'm in the process of planning a vanilla (maybe vanilla-mint?) handmade soap and/or lotion bars that I could put some of the vanilla bean powder into once the extract is ready, but then the vanilla extract kind of seems out of place.

Any ideas as to how I should tie that in? Or should I keep that as maybe a separate gift type and pair it with candied almonds/pecans and other goodies?

Sounds to me Like Vanilla is your theme :) You could customize it a couple of different ways depending on what aspects of Vanilla (or it's history or facts) you want to use.

This is a fun one: "Because vanilla has always been so valuable, it has a long history of robbery and intrigue. In Madagascar, vanilla rustling has been a major problem when the price for vanilla is at a cyclic high. Growers brand the individual beans with pins or a knife when they are green and the marks remain after the beans are dried. Whenever someone suspects that their beans are stolen, they can determine by the distinctive tattoo whether or not the beans are theirs."
http://www.vanillaqueen.com/facts-about-vanilla/

You could play up the rarity aspect or the luxury or what some of the traits of the scent are and used for. You could incorporate the extract by including a recipe for a Vanilla Panacotta or something else that would be awesome but perishable so wouldn't work as part of the basket. If you have someone who is into soda or cocktails, pair it with a bottle of coke and a recipe for a Vanilla rum and coke. Or you can get fancy, do it in a smaller bottle add another complimentary flavoring or two and make a Vanilla "bitters". It would go father AND seem more fancy-pants.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2017, 08:20:16 PM »

Sounds to me Like Vanilla is your theme :) You could customize it a couple of different ways depending on what aspects of Vanilla (or it's history or facts) you want to use.

This is a fun one: "Because vanilla has always been so valuable, it has a long history of robbery and intrigue. In Madagascar, vanilla rustling has been a major problem when the price for vanilla is at a cyclic high. Growers brand the individual beans with pins or a knife when they are green and the marks remain after the beans are dried. Whenever someone suspects that their beans are stolen, they can determine by the distinctive tattoo whether or not the beans are theirs."
http://www.vanillaqueen.com/facts-about-vanilla/

You could play up the rarity aspect or the luxury or what some of the traits of the scent are and used for. You could incorporate the extract by including a recipe for a Vanilla Panacotta or something else that would be awesome but perishable so wouldn't work as part of the basket. If you have someone who is into soda or cocktails, pair it with a bottle of coke and a recipe for a Vanilla rum and coke. Or you can get fancy, do it in a smaller bottle add another complimentary flavoring or two and make a Vanilla "bitters". It would go father AND seem more fancy-pants.

That's really clever! Thanks so much!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2017, 12:55:08 PM »
Well, they are not for xmas, but I did just make a couple of placemats like this for the kids.  Thought someone else might like the idea too. 

The ones in the picture aren't mine---I'm a beginner in sewing so let's just say mine are not the prettiest.  I just stitched the outlines right on the placemat fabric because cutting out the shapes on other fabric and stitching the edges of the cut outs was too difficult for me. 

I guess I need to make a couple more for the DH and I....just because. 

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2017, 04:59:09 PM »
Well, they are not for xmas, but I did just make a couple of placemats like this for the kids.  Thought someone else might like the idea too. 

The ones in the picture aren't mine---I'm a beginner in sewing so let's just say mine are not the prettiest.  I just stitched the outlines right on the placemat fabric because cutting out the shapes on other fabric and stitching the edges of the cut outs was too difficult for me. 

Those are SUPER cute!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2017, 05:45:24 PM »

Those are cute.

If you want to try the cut outs...  You can use fusible interfacing (like wonder-under).  It has paper on one side where you can draw your design--it's see-through enough that if you have a light box or use a window, you can put a drawing underneath and trace it.  Then you iron the glue side to the wrong side of the fabric you want to cut.  Cut the fabric and paper to the shape you drew.  Peel off paper and iron to your background fabric.  It will be stuck together nicely and you can then stitch around it (you could use a straight stitch just inside the cut fabric, or you could zig-zag stitch around the edge).  The fusible interfacing makes it much easier since it will hold everything in place for you. 

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2017, 09:46:49 AM »

If you want to try the cut outs...  You can use fusible interfacing (like wonder-under).  It has paper on one side where you can draw your design--it's see-through enough that if you have a light box or use a window, you can put a drawing underneath and trace it.  Then you iron the glue side to the wrong side of the fabric you want to cut.  Cut the fabric and paper to the shape you drew.  Peel off paper and iron to your background fabric.  It will be stuck together nicely and you can then stitch around it (you could use a straight stitch just inside the cut fabric, or you could zig-zag stitch around the edge).  The fusible interfacing makes it much easier since it will hold everything in place for you.

Thanks Sparky.  I actually tried to make them cut outs first and as I tried to zig-zag the edges they got all buckled and ugly bc I wasn't using interfacing.  I've used it once on the-most-complicated-dress-ever that I am still trying to finish for my daughter and kinda guessed that's what I should have done.  Though I have my doubts that I could do it!  I ended up deciding that the kids were just going to spill stuff all over these anyway, so "okay" would be good enough.  I'll know to harass you with questions though when I pick back up that dress.  :-)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2017, 11:16:26 AM »

Thanks Sparky.  I actually tried to make them cut outs first and as I tried to zig-zag the edges they got all buckled and ugly bc I wasn't using interfacing.  I've used it once on the-most-complicated-dress-ever that I am still trying to finish for my daughter and kinda guessed that's what I should have done.  Though I have my doubts that I could do it!  I ended up deciding that the kids were just going to spill stuff all over these anyway, so "okay" would be good enough.  I'll know to harass you with questions though when I pick back up that dress.  :-)

You could use fabric paint - and then zip-zag or use another stitch around the painted shapes.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2017, 08:51:29 PM »
My online source for vanilla beans:  https://saffron.com/

My team at work is 50/50 male and female, and includes a diabetic and a vegetarian.  My gift solution was a selection of homemade herb/salt blends in cute canning jars.  Not sure yet what I'm going to make this Christmas!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2017, 04:02:16 PM »
Made watercolor and ink paintings for my mom for Christmas.  Framed them the other day! 

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2017, 05:22:43 PM »
Made watercolor and ink paintings for my mom for Christmas.  Framed them the other day!

Quite beautiful!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2017, 05:34:37 PM »
Those are lovely, alewpanda!!

I have a friend who does stained glass and is teaching me enough to make some pieces for DH's extended family. I never have any idea what to make them since I don't know them very well, but they always send gifts for us. Here's a photo of a cross for his grandma - getting close to being ready for foil and solder!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2017, 07:58:48 PM »
I started some more vanilla beans in vodka today. I really need to find a cheap source for beans ... vanilla was $27 at Costco the other day (Canada).
How long do you plan on leaving yours in the vodka? I just started some yesterday as well! And yeah, vanilla beans are definitely costly.

I find that I can start using it after 3 months ... but its still quite boozy. After 6 months, its the same as Costco vanilla, except better tasting.

I broke down and bought some Amazon vanilla beans this week. When they get here, I'll go buy some more vodka and get it going in the back of my cupboard. I bake a lot and I'm having to use my boozy vanilla already.

KID: "Mom, these cookies are reeealllly good!"

ME: "Mmmm-hmmmm"

Haven't checked this thread for a while but this is just gold!

I found the same when I made vanilla with rum. After three months it was just vanilla-flavoured rum. Had to wait six months.

Lepetitange3

« Reply #169 on: July 02, 2017, 08:13:17 PM »
Posting to follow.  Definitely going to jump on the sewing bandwagon.  I'm thinking maybe grill aprons for men?  Has anyone ever tried those?  There's a lot of grilling by the males here abouts.

Bella78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: July 03, 2017, 07:13:01 AM »
I plan on doing homemade Christmas gifts.  I havent yet decided what to make.

Last year I made everyone knitted wash cloths and soap, strawberry wine jelly, and salted caramel hot chocolate mix.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2017, 09:04:40 PM »
I'm making progress on the quilt for my parents.  I ended up making all but about 10 of the blocks myself, but at least I got them done.  I am waiting for one piece of fabric, and then I'll add a section for us "kids".  I have two small sections that represent the 6 grandkids already.  Hopefully I'll be able to get it sandwiched next week and start quilting soon.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2017, 09:07:46 PM »
SCOTTIE DOG, ^^

FrugalAussie

• Stubble
« Reply #173 on: July 04, 2017, 07:46:27 PM »
Thanks everyone for the fantastic ideas.  I'm going to make the Lemoncello and start collecting tea bags to make something like this http://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Tea-Bag-Wreath.html.

Now all the kids are grown and there are no grandchildren as yet we do a Chris Kringle for gift giving among the family. Out young adult kids are starting out so we don't want them to feel they need to spend lots of money on presents. Everyone buys/makes a gift to the value of no more than $20, suitable for anyone. Thrifted gifts allowed.  We play a game where gifts can be stolen, it's good fun. Appreciated gifts have included: homemade bread boards (made by my DH, supply is low so he'll get busy making some more), house plants (kids now living out of home really loved these), movie tickets, herb vinegars/oils, icecream sauces eg. salted caramel.

We are travelling next month to visit friends and family 'over East' (East coast of Australia) so I've started making thank you gifts.  The orange wholegrain mustard turned out great.  It's made from whole mustard seeds, very easy to make. I used a recipe from a cookbook but Jamie Oliver has a recipe, made with Beer which sounds tasty http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/uncategorised-recipes/wholegrain-mustard/ Beware, this has a powerful taste, very delicious, nothing like the commercial supermarket brands IMHO. I'll also make Lime Marmalade with limes "from Grandad's tree" so special.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: July 04, 2017, 10:17:30 PM »
SCOTTIE DOG, ^^

Yes :) but, in this case, it's representing miniature schnauzers, lol.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2017, 06:53:49 AM »
SCOTTIE DOG, ^^

Yes :) but, in this case, it's representing miniature schnauzers, lol.

Them too! Very cute.

FrugalAussie

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2017, 10:29:45 PM »
This is one of the wooden boards my partners makes.  We use one for olives, cheese and crackers. They have always been very gratefully received. The bowls I brought yesterday $1.40 each. One present ready for gift giving!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:43:14 PM by FrugalAussie »

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #177 on: July 06, 2017, 05:42:23 PM »
Saw these in Vogue and thought folks here may be interested. Reported for use in pedicures.

Pink Himalayan Salt Foot Soak
2 T pink Himalayan salt
1 drop cypress essential oil
1 drop tea tree essential oil
1 tsp. Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Soap
Tub of warm water
Directions: Mix ingredients until equally distributed. Soak feet 15 minutes, or until skin plumps and softens.

Coconut Oil Foot Scrub
1/4 cup sea salt
1/2 T Dr. Bronner’s soap
3 T organic fractionated coconut oil
2 drops peppermint oil (or any essential oil)
Directions: Mix ingredients into a rough, uniform paste. Apply to entire foot and ankle area, and massage gently for 10 minutes, concentrating on heels and balls of feet. Rinse off with warm water.

Wild Orange and Coconut Oil Moisturizer
1 part organic fractionated coconut oil
1 part organic aloe vera gel
1 drop wild orange essential oil
Directions: Mix ingredients in a glass jar with lid. Coat foot liberally with oil treatment and massage for five minutes or longer.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #178 on: July 06, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »
I'm in. I did it last year, but only left myself three months. I pulled it off (mostly), but it was a tight one.

I'm still not sure what I want to do this year yet. I lean towards food items, because then it isn't something someone has to store and keep forever (or give away), so I was thinking maybe jar soup mixes. I was also thinking of making something like this:  http://www.craftideas.info/html/wood_burned_ornaments_f.html We have a ton of trees, and I think we have a wood burner somewhere, so this could be cool.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2017, 12:42:43 AM »
I think I'm going to steal your homemade peanut butter cups idea. Easy, and everyone will love it!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #180 on: July 12, 2017, 02:23:53 AM »
The clock turned out great, I'm sure the recipient will love it!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #181 on: July 12, 2017, 02:28:20 AM »
I just finished the quilt top a few minutes ago.  That thing is a beast!  90" x 108". 

I'm still debating whether last weekend was mustachian, or completely not, but I don't really care...  I found a Viking Husqvarna mega quilter, complete with a frame (so that I can use it similar to how you would a long arm machine, just without all the throat space of a long arm).  It was a good deal, and they are great machines.  I was also ready to upgrade, so timing and price both worked out.  I'll need to practice with it before I can use it on this quilt, but I'm now pretty confident I'll be able to finish before Christmas.  I'll still hand quilt portions of it, but the towering task of quilting my first queen sized quilt is a little less towering now.  The machine will definitely get a workout over the next several years!

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #182 on: July 13, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »
I'm in! Here's my tentative list:

Parents: Embroidery Project + Donation Card
Inlaws: Embroidery Project + Restaurant Gift Card
Grandparents, Uncles and Aunts, Cousins: Photo Card
Friends: Photo Card & Homemade Salsa 
Co-Workers: Baked Goods (I make huge batches for me and DH to take to work)

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2017, 01:23:37 PM »
BTW, does anyone have good recommendations on ordering labels for homemade canned goods like salsas, pickles, and hot sauces? I am not crafty (other than embroidery) and am worried it will look like garbage if I try to DIY.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2017, 01:40:30 PM »
What about sheets of labels from an office supply place like Staples that you then run through your printer with a template of the font that you could find online?

Or if you have a friend who has decent handwriting or hand-lettering skills, could you trade them a jar or two of your canned goods in exchange for writing up your labels?

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2017, 01:58:22 PM »
BTW, does anyone have good recommendations on ordering labels for homemade canned goods like salsas, pickles, and hot sauces? I am not crafty (other than embroidery) and am worried it will look like garbage if I try to DIY.

Have you done a search on Pinterest for "free printable canning labels"? That should turn up lots of options for designs and hopefully you can find something you like.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #186 on: July 15, 2017, 03:49:31 PM »
So I took a soap making class today....i think I now have some soap to gift! And here I didn't think i'd make any progress on gifts while traveling. 

Also for labels, I had bought one of those stamper/puncher do-thingies at Tuesday Morning on super clearance. So I just used a regular large label, punched out a pretty border on it and then tried to nicely write "homemade rum vanilla" or something. 

Bella78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #187 on: July 16, 2017, 08:28:55 AM »
I think I am going to make edible gifts.  At this point, I'm thinking of making truffles (though I like the peanut butter cups idea) and maple strawberry sauce.  We have grape vines and blackberry bushes so I might also make grape jelly or blackberry jam.

I also like the idea of making some quilted pot holders, but haven't decided if I am going to do that.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #188 on: July 17, 2017, 09:22:17 AM »
Thinking off adding beeswax cloth food wraps to my list.  Has anyone tried making them before?  Did you like them?  I figure they would pair nicely with my homemade vanilla and strawberry jam that's currently on my gift list.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: July 18, 2017, 06:57:20 AM »
Bracken_Joy posted a recipe for homemade, room-temperature stable, pseudo-bouillon cubes over in the Moustachian People Problems (just for fun) forum, and I think I might make them for my mom (and myself).  I have an infinite supply of frozen chicken carcasses, and also some grass-fed beef soup bones, and I'm kind of tired of storing jars and jars and jars of bone broth in my freezer - it's taking up space that I could use for a pig!

http://nourishedkitchen.com/homemade-bouillon-portable-soup/

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »
I just finished the quilt top a few minutes ago.  That thing is a beast!  90" x 108". 

I'm still debating whether last weekend was mustachian, or completely not, but I don't really care...  I found a Viking Husqvarna mega quilter, complete with a frame (so that I can use it similar to how you would a long arm machine, just without all the throat space of a long arm).  It was a good deal, and they are great machines.  I was also ready to upgrade, so timing and price both worked out.  I'll need to practice with it before I can use it on this quilt, but I'm now pretty confident I'll be able to finish before Christmas.  I'll still hand quilt portions of it, but the towering task of quilting my first queen sized quilt is a little less towering now.  The machine will definitely get a workout over the next several years!

Good quality sewing machines last a lifetime and that's definitely Mustachian! Plus, if you are a good quilter that's a skill that could earn you money, if you want to. If you buy all new fabrics, then quilting is not super frugal, but if you can turn down the heat because of it then it's a good investment! I have started to make practical daily-use quilts from used fabrics, but a heritage project like this is worth buying new fabrics for. It's absolutely wonderful and I'm sure the recipient of the gift will be really happy with it.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2017, 11:16:40 AM »
I harvested a bunch of mint from my garden yesterday and started some mint extract. I tried to do this last year, and it didn't really work. Hopefully this year, it'll work better. I also took a saw into our woods and cut down a tree branch that I want to slice into disks to make Christmas ornaments from. I'm going to wait for DH to get back from a trip before I attempt to use the table saw, however.

TabbyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »
Got two fruit cordials started on their 'brewing' yesterday.  Starting to run low on our supply of cheap vodka.

Would you mind sharing the recipe/directions used? Will they be stored in the freezer, or did you find a good shelf-safe one? I really want to try this but all the directions I've found say to store in the fridge for a few weeks or the freezer for 6 months, which is tricky for a gift and for not having any freezer space. I'm guessing "don't get sued" is a factor in saying it needs to be in the fridge/freezer but I'm still hesitant to go out on a limb.

Snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2017, 08:12:20 AM »
I'm in!

Although, it feels a bit like cheating, since previous years I have just given charity donations in a card to really drive home the idea that I would like them to give me the same, if they have to give me anything.

SO's mother is getting spruce shoot syrup. That stuff is liquid gold. We only have the one bottle, because I was living with a friend during the shoot season and left most of the bottles with her as a thank you gift, but next year we'll make loads more. I did not understand syrup on pancakes until we made this. Amazing.

Another frugal friend is planning on hosting a truffle-making evening before the season hits, and we also have some baking planned. Plus I am sending out one of those mails about "I'd rather not get anything, but if you feel like you have to get me something, please do something homemade, don't spend a minute in malls on my behalf."

TabbyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2017, 01:26:44 PM »
Thanks, Drole!

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: August 27, 2017, 01:46:06 PM »
I have made a small amount of progress on this. We had a tree come down on our house (thankfully no damage and we got the power company to take it off the roof for free), but I used it to my advantage. I picked out several appropriately sized branches and had my husband show me how to use his table saw. I now have 60 neat looking wooden disks drying in my dehydrator. I'm going to paint them as Christmas ornaments to give as gifts!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2017, 05:20:10 AM »
I have ordered flannel fabric to make flannel pyama pants for ourselves and the friend who's visiting. We always spend Christmas lying on the sofa and watching Netflix, so this seemed like the perfect gift. Last year we were so immersed in a movie we forgot to go to church .... but this year we'll do gifts and traditionally we wait with the gift giving until after church on Christmas Eve, so I'm sure we won't forget to go.

We don't normally give gifts at Christmas, but this year we will. The visiting friend is an extremely generous person who always helps us out without wanting anything in return. She's managing on a very low income. We want to put a pile of gifts for her under the Christmas tree to spoil her. We are still staying mustachian: we won't give random expensive stuff, but mostly homemade, frugal things that I know she'll appreciate. We have a lot more money so we could shower her with luxury things from the shop but we'd all feel awkward.

FrugalAussie

• Stubble
« Reply #198 on: September 17, 2017, 05:23:45 PM »
Seville Oranges are in season here.  We were gifted a couple of kilos so made a double recipe of Seville Marmalade.  15 jars of assorted sizes, total cost $6. We'll use these as gifts throughout the year and at Christmas for English grandad who loves it.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2017, 06:51:11 PM »
So, I need to make:

18 cards
5 boxes chocolate bark
2 'home sweet home' cross-stitch patterns, framed
3 big bottles coffee liqueur
8 batches cookies (for DH and I to take to work)

That should take care of my Christmas gifts, aside from whatever I get for DH! I think I'll start gathering the materials (bottles, paper for labels) now and start on the cross-stitch this coming weekend!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!