Author Topic: Homemade Christmas 2016  (Read 39165 times)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Homemade Christmas 2016
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2016, 08:43:58 AM »
What do you use for insulation for the hot pads? I am thinking of making some, and wonder if there is a specific batting or other material I should use.

Thanks!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2016, 09:43:50 AM »
I'm just using several layers of scraps of polyester quilt batting until I think it's thick enough.  More stitching through it makes it less heat resistant.  I think there may be less flammable options. And there are flame resistant fabrics that are recommended for this kind of project, but I've never gone there. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 09:49:49 AM by PMG »

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2016, 11:05:27 AM »
The big challenge of homemade gifts for me is that if I'll be spending time on making something, I want it to be nice, and that often means that the supplies are costly.  I try to think ahead and to monitor the thrift stores for wool, the fabric store remnants rack, etc.

Someone asked about ideas for kids.  Here are some of my successes:

Capes/cloaks: sometimes felt for a medieval look, sometimes satin for a royal look, sometimes gauze for a fairy look.

Knight's outfit (this was a collaboration with my dad, and a huge hit that was played with for years):  Shield cut out of thin plywood and painted, leather straps attached with nuts and bolts.  Chainmail made of loosely knitted garter stitch grey yarn.  Surcoat of fleece with applique on chest (matching the design on the shield). Sword made of PVC covered with pipe insulating foam, spray painted silver.

Bow and arrows: PVC bow (notched ends for the string, drawn into a curve by the tightness of the string), dowel arrows with foam balls on the end.  Only good for people with a field, because these shoot far!

Marshmallow guns made of PVC, spray painted, plus a bag of mini marshmallows.  This was a big hit with the recipients, not so much with the grandmother they were staying with, who kept finding marshmallows on her rugs.

Sleeping bag for their dolls.  SUPER easy: just a rectangle of fleece folded over and sewn along one edge.

Custom-made apron.

Hair scrunchies and decorated barrettes.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2016, 12:07:50 PM »
The big challenge of homemade gifts for me is that if I'll be spending time on making something, I want it to be nice, and that often means that the supplies are costly.  I try to think ahead and to monitor the thrift stores for wool, the fabric store remnants rack, etc.

Someone asked about ideas for kids.  Here are some of my successes:

Capes/cloaks: sometimes felt for a medieval look, sometimes satin for a royal look, sometimes gauze for a fairy look.

Knight's outfit (this was a collaboration with my dad, and a huge hit that was played with for years):  Shield cut out of thin plywood and painted, leather straps attached with nuts and bolts.  Chainmail made of loosely knitted garter stitch grey yarn.  Surcoat of fleece with applique on chest (matching the design on the shield). Sword made of PVC covered with pipe insulating foam, spray painted silver.

Bow and arrows: PVC bow (notched ends for the string, drawn into a curve by the tightness of the string), dowel arrows with foam balls on the end.  Only good for people with a field, because these shoot far!

Marshmallow guns made of PVC, spray painted, plus a bag of mini marshmallows.  This was a big hit with the recipients, not so much with the grandmother they were staying with, who kept finding marshmallows on her rugs.

Sleeping bag for their dolls.  SUPER easy: just a rectangle of fleece folded over and sewn along one edge.

Custom-made apron.

Hair scrunchies and decorated barrettes.

I am taking notes. That knight's costume, specifically, is brilliant. But you must have somehow sensed the pretty flannel fabric that I've got cut out on the sewing table for capes for my daughter and my niece. ;)

Other things I've made that have been well-recieved and played with:

Wood blocks (like, buy a 2x2, and cut into squares and rectangles with a hacksaw, sand by hand). It's surprising, but my toddler plays with these WAY more than with the Megabloks we had - we wound up selling those. For something nicer, you can paint patterns or letters or shapes onto the sides.

Wood rattles and teething rings for the very very little.

*Tip: if you're handy with woodworking, Ana White's website has a lot of patterns for small toys that are made from scrap wood. My daughter LOVES the little cars we made her out of scrap pieces of 1x4s and some wheels.

Paper dolls and clothing made out of felt (so the pieces stick together a bit).

Doll's crib (well, find a super battered one at the recycling center or garage sale, paint, make bedding). I had found one for 1$, so.

For adults, I've recently been making beeswax candles (Ikea votive holders left over from our wedding, thick wick at 3$, 2lb block of beeswax from the local honey producer at 12$, made 15 small candles total). They're accompanying mid-sized jars of local buckwheat honey, and are the gift of choice for our close friends and for my husband's grandparents and great-aunt. Total cost of each of those gifts is 7$CAD, including the nice wrapping to make it a schmancy gift set.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2016, 02:25:41 PM »
I'm getting in on this, and just hope I'm not too late for everything I have planned. I'm making various extracts for my mom and sisters (vanilla, mint, lemon and almond specifically), and also making each one an apron (from this pattern: http://sewliberated.com/products/emmeline-apron-sewing-pattern). Not sure what to do for my dad or brother-in-law. I'm also making flannel pjs for my step daughters and husband. I'm also going to try to do a painting for my husband. Hopefully it doesn't turn out too terrible..

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2016, 02:33:55 PM »
Lots of great ideas! Anyone have progress to report?

Hubs and I have spent the morning casting lego Candles and forming bowls out of old records. We figure if we can get a couple of elements for the gift baskets we want to make done each weekend we should be in good shape and will take care of most of our gifts.

I'm excited that we were able to use up a lot of our scrap wax and tiny pieces that are no good for rolled candles.

Still to make:
 - Cat treats
 - Dog Treats
 - Popcorn seasonings
 - Duck prosciutto - This might be a pipe dream for this year but would like to try.
 - Aromatherapy shower pucks
 - Lip Chap

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2016, 02:37:45 PM »
Saw a recipe (Alton Brown) for aged eggnog and I might give that a try.
I made that last year and it was so good!  I've been intending to get it started for this year, but I haven't bought the ingredients yet.  The sooner you make it, the better it will be come Christmas.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2016, 03:27:32 PM »
One of my closest friends has a set of house rules handwritten in her kitchen.

I bought a cheap frame and designed a proper print of them. I will run off a large print at work, so total cost is $10.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2016, 03:16:42 PM »

Updating my list as I pluga way at it. Anyone else working on Christmas presents this weekend?

Lots of great ideas! Anyone have progress to report?

Hubs and I have spent the morning casting lego Candles and forming bowls out of old records. We figure if we can get a couple of elements for the gift baskets we want to make done each weekend we should be in good shape and will take care of most of our gifts.

I'm excited that we were able to use up a lot of our scrap wax and tiny pieces that are no good for rolled candles.

Still to make:
 - Cat treats
 - Dog Treats
 - Popcorn seasonings - Made a test batch of BBQ seasoning today. Surprisingly BBQ like! Also, have some siracha dehydrating. If it works we'll make that into popcorn seasoning too. Might try a sour cream and onion flavour as well.
 - Duck prosciutto - This might be a pipe dream for this year but would like to try.
 - Aromatherapy shower pucks - Will be made after we finish making candles as we are using the same molds. working on more candles today.
 - Lip Chap

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2016, 05:00:21 PM »
Updating my list as I pluga way at it. Anyone else working on Christmas presents this weekend?

Sort of? I realized that the DIY train table wasn't going to work out to be any cheaper than just buying one that actually has more storage than my idea, but I'm thinking of doing a DIY water table (Youtube link instead that will probably end up being a Christmas gift just due to timing.

I did buy two large glass jars to make limoncello. I need to buy vodka and start the first two batches. I will need to buy smaller glass vessels to serve as the individual serving containers but I can put that off for a few weeks yet.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2016, 05:01:42 PM »
Just finished glass garden stakes for my friend.  The glass was from the free bin at my local supplier, and the stakes are actually carpet runner rods we got for free.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2016, 06:27:48 PM »
Shinplaster, those are beautiful!!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2016, 06:30:44 PM »
I'm germinating seeds for tomato and zucchini plants for a few people who I know will appreciate them. Thinking about trying lavender cuttings, too.

My MIL mentioned recently that she adores lemon curd and that HER late MIL used to make it for her as a gift. Challenge accepted!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2016, 08:05:40 PM »
Shinplaster, those are beautiful!!

Thanks - I am just learning how to do glasswork, so am pleased that they at least look like flowers.  : D     And funny, the deck in the background is now all covered in snow.  It has been a very weird couple of days.  18C yesterday, and all summery, leaves still on the trees, and boom!  Snow tonight. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:09:17 PM by Shinplaster »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2016, 03:32:34 AM »
It's now a month since I made a batch of vanilla (using rum as a base).

Still steeping. Husband still dubious. :D

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2016, 01:41:39 PM »
Homemade vanilla is so good. I refuse to buy imitation. Just isn't the same.

----

I just finished up a batch of 6 hot mats. I need to gather everything I've made into the same place and start assembling gifts. I may be done with the sewing part.

I also made a canvas laundry bag for my SO's birthday, not Christmas, but I thought it might be a good idea to share. I used the dimensions he requested but it's similar to this one.
http://www.designlovefest.com/2014/04/make-it-56/

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2016, 02:29:52 PM »
I've just started on my first attempts at homemade soap and lotion bars. So far it's going well! You can do some pretty easy but impressive-looking stuff if you just have a nice mold or two. I'm starting with melt and pour soap because it seems a lot easier, but I'd really like to get into cold process eventually. I love to cook, and this feels like sort of an extension of that. Never would have occurred to me to try it if I hadn't read about it here. Thanks!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »
I've just started on my first attempts at homemade soap and lotion bars. So far it's going well! You can do some pretty easy but impressive-looking stuff if you just have a nice mold or two. I'm starting with melt and pour soap because it seems a lot easier, but I'd really like to get into cold process eventually. I love to cook, and this feels like sort of an extension of that. Never would have occurred to me to try it if I hadn't read about it here. Thanks!

Recipe for homemade lotion bars, please!

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2016, 05:12:59 PM »

Recipe for homemade lotion bars, please!

I looked around online and a lot of sites said basically this:

Equal parts of: oil (coconut, olive, etc.), shea or cocoa butter, beeswax
Essential oil (20 drops if using 3/4 cup each above, 15 drops if 1/2 cup each)

Melt oil, butter, and wax on stovetop or in 15-20 second bursts in the microwave in a glass container. Add essential oil and pour into molds.

So I used 2oz. (by weight) each of beeswax, shea butter, and almond oil, plus a few drops of lavender essential oil. That was enough to make 3 small bars. They don't smell lavender-y enough (which is okay... I'd rather underdo it than overdo it), but they look and feel great! Add a nice label and shrink-wrap with a heat gun and basic grocery store plastic wrap, and they look darn near store-bought!

I got a lot of my supplies from brambleberry.com (thanks to someone who mentioned the site here). There are also a lot of molds on Amazon. Soapqueen.com and soapqueentv on youtube have a lot of great tips. La Fille de la Mer, also on Youtube, has some great videos made in her workshop in Quebec.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2016, 05:25:31 PM »
Thanks!

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2016, 06:43:32 PM »
I made lotion bars today too! I scented mine with peppermint oil and put them in heart-shaped molds. I'm putting them in heart-shaped tins I bought on eBay. The tins were about $2.75 each and all the bar ingredients were stuff I had left over from making these a couple years ago -- which I originally purchased from Brambleberry, so another shout out for them.

I finished the print-and-play game (Dead of Night) that I was making for my husband, and two of the three fleece blankets I'm making. Still need to do some jewelry for various folks.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2016, 03:19:35 PM »
Just finished putting together some tea mixes in tiny Mason jars with cute handwritten labels on top. Lavender lemongrass mint green tea, chai, lavender chamomile (can you tell I have a recipient who loves all things lavender?!). I got the ingredients from either my garden or the local Asian supermarket (cheap!), and it was fun to put everything together. My kitchen smells great! I'm "taste testing" a mug of the chai now. :-) Thank you to whoever mentioned the tea idea! It's another item that seems fancy and high-end but totally isn't.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2016, 07:40:50 PM »
I have finished two out of the three aprons I am making for my mom and sisters. I've also finished (I think) a painting I'm doing for my husband. One apron and four pairs of PJs left. (Hopefully the PJs will be easy...)

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2016, 01:34:54 AM »
I'm almost finished with a fleece bathrobe for my son.  I got some Luxe fleece at JoAnn Fabrics, and it is so soft I just want to pet it.  It's not cheap, but I was able to get it at 60% off, then with an extra 25% off.  He's a big kid, so a lot of bathrobes are too short in the arms, etc, so I wouldn't find anything long enough, with the same quality, for less than I'm making it.  I'll probably use the scraps to make him a pair of pj shorts and me a pillowcase.

I'm working on a quilt for my parents with my sister and sister-in-law, but we won't have it done before this Christmas.  We've knocked out about half the blocks, and if we can get together in the spring to lay it out, I should have enough time to hand quilt it before next Christmas.

In past year I've done picture frames, extracts, chia seed/oatmeal smoothie powder, dessert in a mason jar, lotion bars, candles, dog treats (always a big hit), etc.  I think next year I'll aim for hot pads and maybe learn how to carve some mixing spoons.
Not sure what I'll do for the rest of the family, if anything.  Some years we exchange small homemade items, some years we might not. 

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2016, 09:23:17 PM »
I finished and bottled the strawberry jam! Now I have strawberry jam, tangelo marmalade, and spicy tomato chutney.
Next: start fruit mince marinating, for later baking into mince pies.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2016, 07:43:51 PM »
DH is using a laser cutter to make Christmas ornaments for our siblings and a Cnc machine to cut out a lawn ornament for his parents and a tray table for my parents.  I'll post pics once they are done.  I think we will spend $150 in materials.  The tables for my parents alone would probably cost that much in a store.  In previous years we've spent $300-400 to buy gifts for everyone and I think the gifts we give this year will be nicer.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2016, 07:52:14 AM »
DH is using a laser cutter to make Christmas ornaments for our siblings and a Cnc machine to cut out a lawn ornament for his parents and a tray table for my parents.  I'll post pics once they are done.  I think we will spend $150 in materials.  The tables for my parents alone would probably cost that much in a store.  In previous years we've spent $300-400 to buy gifts for everyone and I think the gifts we give this year will be nicer.

That sounds very cool! I look forward to see pictures.

I'm about halfway done with the socks I'm knitting for my dad, but have not made a whole lot of other progress on my other projects.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2016, 10:22:04 PM »
There are so many ideas. Endless! Personal and thoughtful beats expensive for many people, even if they don't realize it when they're asking for things they might like :). I think they key is focusing on what you do best - I am one of the most creative members of my family, so they love when I make them art work, floral arrangements, etc. It's fun for me, and things they don't feel like they have the talent to make themselves. I usually also volunteer to wrap Christmas presents for the whole family, because I enjoy it, do it well, and the rest of the fam sees it as a horrible chore. I'm also the one to always decorate/set the table for holidays, and so forth. You might think of something a loved one views as a chore, that you love, and can give that labor as a gift. For example, if someone loves Christmas decoration but hates hanging the lights on their home, or even hires someone to do it, you could volunteer to take that on for them. There are many other things I couldn't do, that others might be talented at (like woodworking to build them a table or something truly useful). Just shine at what you do best! A little love and elbow grease towards a gift goes a mighty long way.

I think you're right about doing what you're best at. A few Christmases ago I made handmade gifts that were things like hand salve and other ointment/lotion/bath types of things.  The recipients were gracious but I don't think they really liked them and I don't think they really got used. Last year, I made all food items and everyone was thrilled. I have a reputation in my family for being a great cook so they perceived the gifts as awesome because they were made by the great cook. To me they were easy, good, but easy.  But to them, awesome, because it is stuff that is not easy for them. Plus, I enjoyed making the food gifts much more than the body stuff. So yeah, stick to your strengths!

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2016, 11:53:59 PM »
Has anyone made vanilla essence using something other than vodka? Do you think gin would work, or does it have too much flavour?

I don't tink Gin would work since it is more herbaceous flavored, where vanilla is a warming spice. I have used black strap molasses rum which was awesome! Any rum would work.
I've made it with bourbon and it is my fave way to extract. Made apple brandy as a gift this year.

I'm a little late answering this one, but I used a bottle of lovely artisan gin to make vanilla. (I chose to stop drinking alcohol and couldn't bear to waste the bottle of gin) The resulting vanill was... weird. Good with rhubarb or very simple cakes or shortbread, but you couldn't use too much. The gin is just too overpowering. With such a distinct flavour it's not great for making vanilla.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2016, 01:03:12 PM »
I've decided to make some new pajama pants for my husband for Christmas. He has a favorite pair that has been patched and mended many times. I'll use those to make a pattern for a new set. I've done a lot of sewing over the last few years but this will be my first foray into sewing clothing. If it goes well I think I'll make a matching set of pants for our toddler.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #130 on: November 27, 2016, 06:28:52 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what to make for this year.  I'm kind of kicking myself for using up too many ideas on one year last year!

Last year, I gave homemade vanilla extract, limoncello, butterscotch sauce and candied nuts. Why didn't I just pick one and giver everyone that?  Then I'd be set for a few more years.  Oh, well.

Here are some links, in case it would help anyone:

Vanilla, I got guidance from here https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/01/make-your-own-vanilla-extract/ and here http://www.nwedible.com/vanilla-extract/

Butterscotch sauce: https://smittenkitchen.com/2009/12/ridiculously-easy-butterscotch-sauce/

Limoncello:  http://limoncelloquest.com/limoncello-articles/how-to-make-limoncello

Nuts:  http://damndelicious.net/2013/10/30/cinnamon-sugar-candied-nuts/

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: November 27, 2016, 06:34:09 PM »
Lemon curd

Blueberry jam or other jam

Toffee

Peppermint bark

Banana bread

Cookies

Kahlua

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »
Freckles - I might make that butterscotch sauce! Thank you for sharing!

I have an easier cinnamon candied nut recipe (with no egg white, so better for my particular family with its food allergies) if you'd like me to share that?

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2016, 10:50:37 PM »
It's probably a better recipe. I remember this was a little clumpy.  Tasted good, but I would be happy to try a different one.

You should do the butterscotch sauce! It is easy and really delicious.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2016, 05:09:22 AM »
I made the first batch of this Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate mix this weekend: http://www.seededatthetable.com/2011/12/22/salted-caramel-hot-chocolate-mix/. I found the recipe on a previous Handmade Christmas thread and wanted to re-post it. DH felt it wasn't very caramel-y but he likes the overwhelmingly sweet coffee shop holiday drinks. I thought it was perfect!

icegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2016, 07:27:45 AM »
This Christmas I am making:

For my brother/father in law/best friend:

Saltet Caramel Sauce

Bacon Jam

Brownies

Caramel Corn

Truffles

For my mother in law:

Hand knitted sweater (also her 60th birthday present)

For my nephew:

Wood blocks in fun colors

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2016, 07:29:49 AM »
I see nuts mentioned above, and I realized I should share this recipe! Sweet, smoky almonds that are super easy to make. I'm going to make a few bags or jars of them to give as stocking stuffers. I've made them for myself before, and family members who have tried them have really liked them.

http://thevegan8.com/2012/10/24/sweet-mesquite-almonds/

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2016, 08:13:05 AM »
I made the first batch of this Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate mix this weekend: http://www.seededatthetable.com/2011/12/22/salted-caramel-hot-chocolate-mix/. I found the recipe on a previous Handmade Christmas thread and wanted to re-post it. DH felt it wasn't very caramel-y but he likes the overwhelmingly sweet coffee shop holiday drinks. I thought it was perfect!

Yay! Glad you liked it! Yeah, it is more of a traditional old school caramel, it definitely wouldn't measure up in terms of sweet overload that a commercial sticky caramel sauce would. I'm glad you found the recipe and reposted, I had someone ask about it the other day and I couldn't for the life of me remember where the recipe was!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2016, 12:49:09 PM »
This arrived in my inbox today, so I thought I'd share.  I've made many recipes from Smitten Kitchen over the years and have rarely been disappointed.  I'm thinking about peppermint hot fudge sauce and the coffee toffee.  And then I'm remembering my resolve to just make one thing and not use up all ideas in one year!  Hmmm...

Scroll down to the Put A Ribbon On It section:

http://us10.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f07178f792cf265906ce71917&id=53a75edd68&e=21d3318ef9

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2016, 11:46:50 AM »
Someone posted a recipe for sugar/cinnamon almonds last year - maybe Serpentstooth?  I never got around to making them last year, so tried it today.  Oh my, I will be making more of those to give as small gifts.  Yum!  I'll tweak the recipe a bit - I think increasing the amount of almonds to sugar mix will make them a little less 'crusty', but otherwise, these taste so good.  And so easy!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2016, 12:23:06 PM »
I made those almonds last year and they were excellent!  I brought them to the office if i recall correctly. 

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »
Two posts about delicious almonds and zero recipe links.  The shame!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2016, 03:18:16 PM »
Two posts about delicious almonds and zero recipe links.  The shame!

I concur!!

I've been buying cinnamon almonds out of the bulk bins and they are cheaper per oz than the regular almonds.  How much is cinnamon weight?!  What would be the cost break down of making my own... and if I made my own would I just eat more of them and spend more money?!  oh the dilemma. 

I usually buy just a scoop or so and toss some raisins in the bag later and keep it in my backpack for a snack on long days.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2016, 03:28:13 PM »
Haha. OK - this is the recipe I used:

http://damndelicious.net/?s=candied+nuts&submit=%EF%80%82

If you want a little less of a crust, decrease the sugar/cinnamon a bit I think, or increase the amount of almonds.  I did not use pecans, just the almonds.
I also cooked them a little longer than the recipe recommends - about 45 minutes instead of 30.  YMMV, depending on your oven.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2016, 06:32:57 PM »
I made Spiced Apple Cider Mix for some friends and neighbours today. I put it in jars
and used the printable on the website on the front of the jar. They turned out better than expected! Cost was minimal and I'm using repurposed jars.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2016, 06:42:30 PM »
Three aprons made, one for my mom and each of my sisters. Two pairs of PJ pants made, one for each of my step-daughters, and 1.75 pairs of flannel shorts for my husband (one isn't quite done yet...) I've decided to make chocolate dipped pretzel rods and festive short bread cookies for my dad and brother in law. Those will need to be made closer to Christmas though.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2016, 06:51:08 PM »
I have a 2/3 finished crocheted afghan that was supposed to be a gift for my dad years ago.  I'm trying to motivate myself to finish it for this year.  I already won't get it done for his birthday next week.
Update:  I've been crafty!

I finished the afghan for Dad's bday/Christmas:

This afghan has a story:  9+ years ago, as I was heading to a job in Afghanistan, my dad said (as dads do), "Wouldn't it be neat if you made an afghan in Afghan-istan?"  I decided I would do just that, and give it to him on my return.  I got about 2/3 done before I came home, but then put it in a closet where it sat for 8+ years.  It is now finished, and I'm very happy to have a gift for one of my most difficult-to-gift relatives.

In addition, I've made some play food for my 2.5 year old niece:

I was watching movies at a friends house while working on part of this.  When asked, "what are you making?" I replied simply, "A sandwich."  Later another friend said, "I have what may be a silly question, but are you making ... bread?"  Yes!  And I was so happy it was recognizable by someone with no context to what I was making.

My girlfriends and I have an ornament yankee-swap each year, and I often craft something.  This year I cut up some beverage cans to make stars:

I still have some crafting to do for my niece (a felt board book) and a gift for the swap with my crochet group (still undecided).

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2016, 08:22:29 PM »
That's really clever!  I love that felt sandwich!

I make earrings for all my female friends and relatives which are always a big hit.

Unfortunately I have so many male relatives and they are so hard to craft for (and shop for).
I think it will have to be homemade food/goodies since I can't think of anything else. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2016, 08:33:08 PM »
I have a 2/3 finished crocheted afghan that was supposed to be a gift for my dad years ago.  I'm trying to motivate myself to finish it for this year.  I already won't get it done for his birthday next week.

This afghan has a story:  9+ years ago, as I was heading to a job in Afghanistan, my dad said (as dads do), "Wouldn't it be neat if you made an afghan in Afghan-istan?"  I decided I would do just that, and give it to him on my return.  I got about 2/3 done before I came home, but then put it in a closet where it sat for 8+ years.  It is now finished, and I'm very happy to have a gift for one of my most difficult-to-gift relatives.

In addition, I've made some play food for my 2.5 year old niece:

I was watching movies at a friends house while working on part of this.  When asked, "what are you making?" I replied simply, "A sandwich."  Later another friend said, "I have what may be a silly question, but are you making ... bread?"  Yes!  And I was so happy it was recognizable by someone with no context to what I was making.

My girlfriends and I have an ornament yankee-swap each year, and I often craft something.  This year I cut up some beverage cans to make stars:

I still have some crafting to do for my niece (a felt board book) and a gift for the swap with my crochet group (still undecided).

Phenomenal!

I'm still giggling at 'Are you making a sandwich?' :D

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2016, 09:17:45 PM »

Awesome! I'm curious, what do you do with the yarn ends when you switch colors? Do you just snip them off and weave them in, or somehow leave the ends attached and then pick them up later?