Author Topic: Homemade Christmas 2013  (Read 68955 times)

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
Re: Homemade Christmas 2013
« Reply #150 on: November 11, 2013, 10:30:58 AM »
Is there anyone making jewelry? I'm trying to make some faux pearl bracelets and lanyards for co-workers I like but I don't know what I need like right now I'm just knotting the ends and they look horrible. I got a few lobster clasps but how to keep the beads from coming off?

I also bought 2 skeins of softee chunkee yarn and am trying that arm knitting later today :D

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2013, 12:34:30 PM »
I don't make jewelry, but I've seen crimp beads used by friends.  They also swear by Fire Mountain - there are some how to videos and such here.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:36:03 PM by geekette »

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #152 on: November 11, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »
I don't make jewelry, but I've seen crimp beads used by friends.  They also swear by Fire Mountain - there are some how to videos and such here.
Thanks! :D

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: November 11, 2013, 06:45:10 PM »
Is there anyone making jewelry? I'm trying to make some faux pearl bracelets and lanyards for co-workers I like but I don't know what I need like right now I'm just knotting the ends and they look horrible. I got a few lobster clasps but how to keep the beads from coming off?

I also bought 2 skeins of softee chunkee yarn and am trying that arm knitting later today :D

If the clasps are attached properly the beads shouldn't come off... But yes, I'm making jewellery (in fact today I'm wearing a bracelet that I made myself!) and I've found that google is my best friend. There are loads of tutorials, especially on youtube :-)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2013, 05:47:15 AM »
This all sounds like a ton of fun, so I'm in! I may buy a couple of presents, but for the majority they'll be handmade. I'm thinking crocheted ornaments, shortbread, Xmas cards with thoughtful letters :) Better get started!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »
I would love to do this.  Not sure I have time. I'd like to make jewelry for my nieces, some crocheted finger puppets for my toddler, and I dunno for the hubby and big boy.  Socks?  I mean, I'm in So Cal, they don't need scarves.

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2013, 08:17:56 PM »
Any ideas for my partner? I can't think of anything. 35 yo female, if that helps.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »
Any ideas for my partner? I can't think of anything. 35 yo female, if that helps.

Jewelry, knitted scarves, chocolates and truffles and candy, soaps, lotion, bath bombs and bath salts...  Women are much easier than men!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2013, 10:16:55 AM »
One of those jpegs that's getting passed around - Stop saying I'm so hard to shop for.  Surely you know where the liquor store is…

But it depends on the person in question.  In my group, consumables - (good) chocolate, (good) beer, fav liquor, something related to a hobby (but get input from someone else who does that same hobby).  Or experiences - cooking class (for both of you), weekend at a B&B, if that's in your budget.

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2013, 04:18:28 PM »
As a 35 yo mom, I have to admit that it's hard to think of things specifically for me that aren't related to housework! I would love a new frying pan and a stick vacuum, but those aren't really holiday gifts (although, this year they might be, because we're not buying much of anything except groceries these days)

But now that I think of it, there are a few handmade or homemade things I would love: A photobook of the last year, a thoughtful ornament (maybe with my son's hand or footprint), a framed family photo, a video interview of my spouse asking my son some fun questions or even questions like "what makes your mom special?" etc (like that semi-viral video that went around about how moms view themselves and how their kids view them. Did you see it? Tearjerker!)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2013, 10:36:27 PM »
So today I got crafty!  You have to understand with a FT job and two kids (one only 16 months old), yeah, that doesn't happen.  Plus I'm sick, haven't slept in a few days, and my husband just got back from a business trip.

First, I made a Tee Pee Bag as an exchange gift in my quilting group.  It's a beginner project and it took me 1 hr and 30 minutes.  1 hour and 15 minutes to clean off the kitchen table, pull out my fabric, find my zipper foot for my sewing machine, and look up instructions on line on how to install it. 

15 minutes to make the actual bag.

Then I decided to try some jewelry for my nieces.  I made a crocheted/ beaded necklace, took about 30 minutes after I looked up how to do it on-line.  I don't have much in the way of jewelry supplies besides beads and clasps, so I had to wing it (I used nylon thread as the base).  It turned out well!

I'm really inspired by The Prudent Homemaker and her Gift a Day series.

Now it's off to bed.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2013, 11:15:37 PM »
One of those jpegs that's getting passed around - Stop saying I'm so hard to shop for.  Surely you know where the liquor store is…

My girlfriend showed me that one just the other day! I think half of her wanted to share a laugh, and the other half was telling me to get my ass to the liquor store to buy some more wine.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2013, 07:15:30 AM »
My sister and I are going to ask a cousin (who my parents love and who has a small graphic design business) to design a couple logos for them, which we are going to use to make pads of paper, something they seem to go through quickly.  My dad makes beer so his will be a logog for a pub, as soon as we come up with a name, and they love to entertain (and my mom to cook), so hers will likely be a fake Bed and Breakfast with their last name.

I love this idea so much, I am stealing it!  (Hope that's OK.)  My sister is a recently-graduated graphic designer who would probably (hopefully) have a lot of fun with this project.  Thanks for the idea!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2013, 12:07:03 PM »
My sister and I are going to ask a cousin (who my parents love and who has a small graphic design business) to design a couple logos for them, which we are going to use to make pads of paper, something they seem to go through quickly.  My dad makes beer so his will be a logog for a pub, as soon as we come up with a name, and they love to entertain (and my mom to cook), so hers will likely be a fake Bed and Breakfast with their last name.

I love this idea so much, I am stealing it!  (Hope that's OK.)  My sister is a recently-graduated graphic designer who would probably (hopefully) have a lot of fun with this project.  Thanks for the idea!

We are also going to do notecards as my mom still sends a lot of hand-written letters.  We're actually trying to come up with other items we can slap the logo onto.  Notepads, notecards, a computer file of the graphic (which my dad might find use for), but what else?

Coasters are a possibility, as they do a great deal of entertaining. 

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »
Here is my first try at making the felt ornaments! It *looks* homemade, so no one's going to doubt that I put love and care into it :) Hopefully that will save it from the fact that it's not perfect and Pinterest-worthy ;)

IDK why it's upside-down and IDK how to fix it. Sorry!

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2013, 06:37:58 PM »
The ornament looks very cute!!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2013, 06:41:29 PM »
Yesterday I made earrings and bracelets with pearls bought via etsy. Such a low cost, easy and gorgeous Christmas present! I am pleased.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2013, 09:44:01 PM »
I'm not sure about the rest of us, but youngest in our extended family will get gifts - I knit a sweater for my 10 month old great niece. 

http://ravel.me/geekette/x0k4q

No, it's not itchy!

I like the idea of logo stuff for adults (if I can figure out what to put on them). 

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2013, 10:50:55 PM »
Yesterday I made earrings and bracelets with pearls bought via etsy. Such a low cost, easy and gorgeous Christmas present! I am pleased.

Pictures please? And which etsy store you got the pearls? Thanks!

I have made a scarf for my mother-in-law and myself using the arm knitting method. I plan to make 2 more for my friends at work.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2013, 07:44:56 PM »
The etsy shop was called "Loose Pearl", if you search for that in etsy you should find it. The seller is in China so shipping isn't super fast (i.e. order now if you're trying to make Christmas presents) but they're the best I've found for genuine freshwater pearls. Pearls are smaller than you think when you're judging them on mm size and pictures, so go for 7mm+ if you can. One strand is two bracelets, or a bracelet and a LOT of pairs of earrings. A necklace would need at least two strands. So in terms of cost, earrings are the way to go to keep it lean, but a bracelet shouldn't set you back more than about $3 of materials anyway.

If you haven't made jewellery before and need help with findings, instructions etc then let me know and I'll PM you :-)

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »
OMG gorgeous! :)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2013, 11:09:49 PM »
Oh, they are lovely! Here's one of the shapes I'm crocheting to give to grandparents for Christmas as tree ornaments. I just got a voucher in the mail for a craft store, so I'm going to make use of that and see if I can get most presents/supplies from there in one trip (voucher is $140 of stuff for $100).

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2013, 12:15:42 AM »
OMG gorgeous! :)

Thanks!

Oh, they are lovely! Here's one of the shapes I'm crocheting to give to grandparents for Christmas as tree ornaments. I just got a voucher in the mail for a craft store, so I'm going to make use of that and see if I can get most presents/supplies from there in one trip (voucher is $140 of stuff for $100).

Any chance you have a link for the pattern? I love those and I'm pretty keen on crochet generally :-)

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2013, 12:47:58 AM »
I normally don't give Christmas gifts beyond possibly baking. My family did not do a lot of gifting for christmas after we were no longer small children, beyond giving  cash. As an adult I didn't have any money at first and we still didn't do gifting. After reading the thread this week I am thinking about doing some mango infused alcohol trying out dried and fresh mango to give some as gifts to my bf's family. I won't be seeing my family for the holidays. Kinda unsure about the gifting because I don't know them enough to know what they would like, but I know alcohol will go over well, and I will probably bake some cookies/sweets for the kids.
I'm not sure how much I am going to spend on rum or vodka yet, it will probably cost me a bit but I will take it out of my alcohol budget instead. It will be a little more unique.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:02:12 AM by Tempe »

TGod

• Stubble
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2013, 10:06:25 AM »
Kids projects for grandparents idea...our trial run just finished drying (took 5 days). My boys made sun catchers for their grandparents using white glue (that turns clear) and those cheap glass 1/2 marbles from the dollar store. They made a design using yogurt container lids with the glass and then we dumped LOTS of glue on them and let them dry. I tested one out this morning and they look pretty cool.
Great home-made gift from the kids I think.

CupcakeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »
I normally don't give Christmas gifts beyond possibly baking. My family did not do a lot of gifting for christmas after we were no longer small children, beyond giving  cash. As an adult I didn't have any money at first and we still didn't do gifting. After reading the thread this week I am thinking about doing some mango infused alcohol trying out dried and fresh mango to give some as gifts to my bf's family. I won't be seeing my family for the holidays. Kinda unsure about the gifting because I don't know them enough to know what they would like, but I know alcohol will go over well, and I will probably bake some cookies/sweets for the kids.
I'm not sure how much I am going to spend on rum or vodka yet, it will probably cost me a bit but I will take it out of my alcohol budget instead. It will be a little more unique.

Just an FYI - if you're going to give infused alcohol gifts you should start as soon as possible. They require a fair amount of "sitting" time. For example, my Limoncello recipe takes about 8 weeks.

CupcakeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »
I'm in the process of making a gift for my DH right now, and I love the idea so I thought I'd share here. :)

He is very into amateur photography and he took a ton of pictures on our vacation this past summer, so I'm going to choose one of the best and frame it for him.

I bought a large 32"x40" framed print (of a picture I don't care about) for $12 from a moving sale this past week. The frame is fairly dinged up, but I filled in the gouges with wood putty and sanded it smooth, and I'll spray paint it an oil-rubbed bronze color. It came with one mat that I can re-use, and I will buy two more mats from Michael's and cut them myself. And then I will order a large print of the picture I want and frame it all up!

There's definitely cost involved in this, but getting a picture professionally matted and framed is ridiculously expensive. My DIY version will look great and cost far, far less. Plus it'll be made with love, and that's priceless. ;)

I feel like this idea would work on a much smaller scale for less money as well. Buy a cheap frame, clean it up if it needs it, cut the mats yourself, and get some kind of inexpensive art/picture to go in it.

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2013, 12:18:55 PM »
Here's one of the shapes I'm crocheting to give to grandparents for Christmas as tree ornaments. I just got a voucher in the mail for a craft store, so I'm going to make use of that and see if I can get most presents/supplies from there in one trip (voucher is $140 of stuff for $100).

Very nice! I wish I could crochet, or this would be on my list for next year. I love snowflake ornaments :)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2013, 03:41:28 PM »
Here's one of the shapes I'm crocheting to give to grandparents for Christmas as tree ornaments. I just got a voucher in the mail for a craft store, so I'm going to make use of that and see if I can get most presents/supplies from there in one trip (voucher is $140 of stuff for $100).

Very nice! I wish I could crochet, or this would be on my list for next year. I love snowflake ornaments :)

Since we don't get snow, I'm wary of making too many actual snow flakes :) the pattern is here:http://jellywares.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/jelly-xmas-star-tutorial.html?m=1

Be aware it's written in american terms, so you'll need to translate. I will be retyping it later for myself. I also added a line of dc (american sc) around the edge in the contrasting colour. And now I'm feeling confused about the terms so I better go and rewrite it...

lcg377

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #179 on: December 04, 2013, 05:17:49 PM »
My husband is a home-brewer, and I found this wooden six-pack holder idea online! I just finished it last night, and I'm really excited about it, so I'm sharing it here rather than blowing the surprise. Oh, and I made it entirely from stuff that was already lying around the basement. :)

http://beer.wonderhowto.com/how-to/carry-your-beer-style-with-these-diy-wooden-six-pack-holders-0140286/

engineerjourney

• Bristles
« Reply #180 on: December 04, 2013, 07:59:52 PM »
I am making origami flowers to put in vases for all the females in my and my husbands close family... so 6 bunches of them.  I just started a couple days ago but I am not worried since I made all the bouquets for my wedding out of origami flowers... over 250 of them :-)  I will update with pictures when I am done with one of them.  If anyone wants tips on how to do 6 bridesmaid bouquets and 1 bride bouquet for only $50 let me know :-)  It takes a lot of paper folding but they will last forever!  I am hoping to do something with my flower talent one day, have several ideas..

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #181 on: December 04, 2013, 08:04:53 PM »
I always give the gift of nothing. My family has way too much crap in their homes, and I refuse to contribute.

Bah! Humbug!

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: December 04, 2013, 09:38:14 PM »
I always give the gift of nothing. My family has way too much crap in their homes, and I refuse to contribute.

Bah! Humbug!
Haha, I have nothing against your solution! But there's always perishables if you want to give a non cluttery gift... Some condiments from Korea would make me sooooooo happy if I was your family!

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #183 on: December 04, 2013, 09:45:45 PM »

Bah! Humbug!
Haha, I have nothing against your solution! But there's always perishables if you want to give a non cluttery gift... Some condiments from Korea would make me sooooooo happy if I was your family!

My family isn't very adventurous when it comes to eating. My grandfather wouldn't touch any of the snacks I sent before. So nope! Nothing for everybody!

engineerjourney

• Bristles
« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2013, 03:37:43 PM »
The first picture is the bouquet I made for my wedding.  For xmas I am trying for more like the second picture in terms of size, so more like 20 flowers for each person instead of 70.  I already have 30 flowers made and plan on hitting up the dollar store for some cheap vases. 

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2013, 11:19:34 PM »

Bah! Humbug!
I'm giving my family (2 parents, 2 brothers, 4 kids) and 2 friends a donation to charity :) My brother's 4 kids have way too much stuff, and this is nicer. And it's smaller for me to travel with :P

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2013, 12:28:06 PM »
The first picture is the bouquet I made for my wedding.  For xmas I am trying for more like the second picture in terms of size, so more like 20 flowers for each person instead of 70.  I already have 30 flowers made and plan on hitting up the dollar store for some cheap vases.

Stunning work! Definitely share an how-to if and when you have some time.

I'm making infused booze for my husband (cranberry liqueur, akvavit) and for a girlfriend (spiced pumpkin liqueur), and I am also working on a couple of rather large frames for him. There will be salted bourbon caramels for many. That's where my talents stop I'm afraid...

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #187 on: December 06, 2013, 04:50:38 PM »
My husband is a home-brewer, and I found this wooden six-pack holder idea online! I just finished it last night, and I'm really excited about it, so I'm sharing it here rather than blowing the surprise. Oh, and I made it entirely from stuff that was already lying around the basement. :)

http://beer.wonderhowto.com/how-to/carry-your-beer-style-with-these-diy-wooden-six-pack-holders-0140286/

Your project reminds me of something that my husband the homebrewer did recently.  He wanted some cases in which to store his bottled beer.  An elderly neighbor has a complete workshop.  My husband bought plywood and other supplies and together the two made some lovely cases. 

lcg377

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #188 on: December 07, 2013, 02:09:26 PM »
Ooooh! Worsted Skeins, now I know what to make for his birthday this spring! Although, I guess I will have to buy some of the materials this time. :)

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2013, 08:47:47 AM »
Ooooh! Worsted Skeins, now I know what to make for his birthday this spring! Although, I guess I will have to buy some of the materials this time. :)

My husband spent about $25 for the materials needed.  The inserts are removable particle board.  You could use these boxes for other storage too.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »
For my DD and niece, I am decorating cigar boxes. On the inside will be some pretty stamped cream-colored cards with parts of stories. One might say, "Tell me about the time when you first hiked a mountain..." The rest of the story won't be filled in. The idea is that the child will ask the adult relative the next time they see them.

I just sent notes to some relatives asking them to include stories for the kids. Hopefully, the relatives I ask will provide the story prompts. If they lived close, I would have the relative write their own card. Since everyone is spread out, I am going to write them based on what folks email me and then put the name of the person on the card.

The knitter

• Stubble
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2013, 07:11:25 PM »
Found these neat Barbie doll knit dresses via Pinterest.

Knitting some right now for my nieces.

http://www.stickatillbarbie.se/Sida%20951-1000.html

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2013, 07:17:10 PM »
What a great idea!

Fletch

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2013, 08:54:42 PM »
This is from a super not frugal home decor blog, but I would have loved homemade gifts like this as a kid:
http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com/2013/12/diy-childrens-flannel-story-board.html#more

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #194 on: December 13, 2013, 08:13:07 AM »
I'm joining in. Been planning this for several weeks.

I am making:
--salted caramel hot cocoa mix: http://www.seededatthetable.com/2011/12/22/salted-caramel-hot-chocolate-mix

--malted milk hot cocoa mix: http://www.thekitchn.com/hot-and-milky-malted-cocoa-fro-1-97615

--flavored butter

--Peppermint patties for my Mom since she love chocolate and peppermint

Logistics-wise, since I am flying to another state for the holidays, I will be traveling with the hot cocoa mixes in double-bagged ziplock bags. Once I get to my destination, I will buy some mason jars and package everything for giving. I will also make the flavored butter once I get to my destination.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2013, 08:25:04 AM »
This is from a super not frugal home decor blog, but I would have loved homemade gifts like this as a kid:
http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com/2013/12/diy-childrens-flannel-story-board.html#more

It reminds me of the travel books my mom made for each of us when we were little.  It kept us quiet for many hours on car trips to visit families.  I remember there was an abacus with beads, "hair" to braid, a ladybug that unzipped open with little ladybugs inside, felt characters to pull out like that storyboard, shapes to match and button to each other, and so much more.

CupcakeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #196 on: December 15, 2013, 08:56:51 PM »
I forgot to take pictures of this, unfortunately - but I made a bunch of "Christmas Potpourri" kits for my husband's extended family. (I backed out of my previous plan for infused olive oil and vinegar because I wanted something less expensive.) They aren't ready to let go of gift-giving for adults yet, and there are a lot of aunts and uncles and cousins. The one good thing is that a lot of them have been in the habit (as have we) of making inexpensive home-made gifts for everyone.

For the Christmas potpourri gifts, I packaged up an orange, a lemon, several cinnamon sticks, a tablespoon of cloves, a few bay leaves, and half a cup of fresh cranberries in a clear cellophane bag. I created pretty labels with instructions to quarter the fruit, add the other ingredients and cover with water, then simmer in a pot. It makes your house smell very nice and Christmas-y. It was quite inexpensive, because the oranges and lemons came from trees in our yard, and I ordered cinnamon sticks and cloves from amazon (10x cheaper than buying them at the store).

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #197 on: December 15, 2013, 10:28:10 PM »
DIY vanilla extract question:

So I started homemade vanilla a couple months ago, and I think it might be ready to bottle into gifts.  For those who make it, do you strain off the vanilla pods and seeds or leave them?  I read that if the pod isn't constantly covered with the extract it can get moldy or otherwise nasty.  The people I'm giving them to don't drink and won't be able to add more vodka to the bottle.  I think what I'd like to do is strain off the pods, but leave the seeds to continue to impart more flavor.  What do you think? 

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2013, 09:14:12 AM »
I leave mine in.  Have never had an issue with mold, and I'm in coastal California.   I think it is pretty with the pods, and I do think the flavor is better.  Have been making my own vanilla for years.  Just make sure you use only alcohol (don't add water) and you should be good.

I have added fresh vodka after it's been mostly used up, given it a few weeks, and used again with excellent results.  Have also made some with bourbon that was very good.

Made several of these for Christmas gifts this year.  Very inexpensive, useful, and people love them!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2013, 11:20:30 AM »
I sometimes give my homemade curry dip mix for Christmas.  I got the recipe from a friend 30 years ago, and have no idea where he got it.

Mix equal parts curry powder, celery seed (whole), onion powder, and garlic powder.  Put in a pretty little jar with instructions:  One heaping tablespoon mixed into a cup of Miracle Whip. Add a 1/4 cup of sugar (or equivalent), a tablespoon of vinegar and a dash of hot sauce or horseradish (if desired).

It's one of the only ways I enjoy a veggie platter, but I've known people to dip all sorts of things in it.