Author Topic: Homemade Christmas 2013  (Read 68964 times)

MelodysMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Homemade Christmas 2013
« on: July 25, 2013, 09:48:24 PM »
Instead of getting into the shopping frenzy this year I am now starting work on projects for gifts.  I think something made with love and by hand will have much more meaning than a mall trinket.  I have already started knitting a scarf for my son, and I will have to think of other gifts I can make for my family.  For the annual dept Christmas party I will make some baked goods or jams for the "white elephant" gifts we always exchange.

Anyone else want to join me?

Cottonwood28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Homemade Christmas 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 09:52:27 PM »
We may not get to that point this year but we are dialing back a lot. Our plan is to greatly limit gifts, use craigslist and consignment, and make grandparent/parent/etc. gifts. So I can join you for about half, which is a huge improvement for us!

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:52:55 PM »
I'm in!
Knitting & sewing & crocheting are on the docket for fall.  Spending the summer pickling & making preserves.
Was thinking of doing homemade bread or cake mixes to go with the preserves come Christmastime.

kt

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 01:18:28 AM »
i usually get my extended family biscuits or chocolates so i'm in for them. cake/preserves/something along those lines would go down well i'm sure. but i don't really like christmas planning before the end of september (birthday), seems too soon!

MelodysMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 07:27:20 AM »
It is very early, but I am a slow knitter.  If I don't start now I will not be done in time.  :)

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 07:29:30 AM »
I'm in for this - I did it last year for the most part.  Food and crafts can be made in bulk and doled out as needed :-)

I really like the mug recipe idea, except in little mason jars.  I think that would be really cute.
Last year I did hot chocolate mix, and scarves for a few people before that.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 07:33:48 AM »
We may not get to that point this year but we are dialing back a lot. Our plan is to greatly limit gifts, use craigslist and consignment, and make grandparent/parent/etc. gifts. So I can join you for about half, which is a huge improvement for us!

This is me too!

Riceman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
My wife and I had $10 Christmas a few years ago--that was the limit we could spend on each other.  It was fun trying to squeeze the best gifts out of the money.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 11:52:41 AM »
I'm in! My goal will be to use up some craft supplies I have lying around to make these gifts, or at least some of them. I have ideas for crocheting blankets and making homemade cooking mixes or bath salts.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »
I'm in!  I have tons of yarn stashed away, and I recently invested about $30 in some basic canning supplies with an eye towards making some homemade jams to give out.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 08:31:43 PM »
Last year we scaled back a ton and also funded gifts solely from eBay and Craigslist sales. Will likely do that again this year.

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 05:00:03 PM »
Good idea to get an early start! I want to get my mom a nice keyboard so she can learn the piano but will keep an eye out on CL for it.  I have limoncello, grapefruit-cello, limecello, and vanilla fig rum in process of infusing for bottling and gifting.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
Good idea to get an early start! I want to get my mom a nice keyboard so she can learn the piano but will keep an eye out on CL for it.  I have limoncello, grapefruit-cello, limecello, and vanilla fig rum in process of infusing for bottling and gifting.

The home made -cellos are such a good idea!!  Do you have any good recipes?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 07:46:04 PM »
I made cakes in jars one time. People liked them.

I'm planning on making enormous batches of homemade granola and giving those away. My mom mostly wants photos, so I'll make her an album.

For SO, I am making some art--the shape of the state where we met cut out in cool-looking paper. I'll make it look good and frame it. I got the idea from Young House Love.

It might end up looking a bit like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=younghouselove+state+paper+cutout&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=Ew_7Ufn3BJi84AOy4YGQAQ&biw=1038&bih=421&sei=Ow_7UbbLKIjB4AOj8YCgDg#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=GwmD8Q83NFSimM%3A%3BLjWYB4q3Spx3GM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi39.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fe170%252FKttyracer%252FStateArt_6_zps057da7ba.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ftwoeverydaydivas.com%252Ftag%252Fart%252F%3B800%3B794

tomatoprincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »
Second on the -cello recipes!

kt

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 11:14:53 AM »
fruit in the freezer. now just looking at jars. is it worth buying 4x the number of jars i need this year to get them for half the price or less? i could try selling spares on ebay with pick-up only.

Sweet Betsy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
fruit in the freezer. now just looking at jars. is it worth buying 4x the number of jars i need this year to get them for half the price or less? i could try selling spares on ebay with pick-up only.

Where are you finding jars at half price?  I desperately need more canning jars.

kt

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 12:52:09 PM »
place on amazon but i'm in the uk. looking at 8oz jars with lids, rather than clip-top rubber-seal canning jars (though ikea do a good price on those compared to most places).
only need 15 or so this year but the best price is for 72 and i'm sure i'd use them or be able to pass them on to my mum or others.

caligulala

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 06:33:33 PM »
I have a ton of buttons I need to use somehow. Maybe I'll sew them onto shapes for cute Christmas ornaments or something. Heart, star, maybe a tree? I'm not very crafty but I can sew on a lot of buttons.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 08:39:50 PM »
Button ideas on Pinterest!  I'm sure there are plenty more, but wow, there are some ideas out there, that's for sure.

caligulala

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 02:38:08 PM »
Yeah, I totally geeked out for about 15 minutes looking at buttons projects on pinterest last night! I think I've got enough to keep me busy.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »
I'm in! I knit a bunch of gifts last year. And this is the time I should start knitting for Christmas so this is a great reminder.

Haven't figured out what I'm making besides the ones I didn't finish last year...

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 09:10:18 PM »
I'm In! Actually I've been burying my head in the sand at the thought of Christmas as we great up for our DIY wedding in Sept.

Here are my plans to keep me accountable:

1. Custom essential oil perfumes for all our female friends and family
2. Creating a "Star Gate" version of Settlers of Catan for my sister - depending on how in depth we go, this might not be done this year for Christmas but definitely for her birthday in June.

We try to do one over the top homemade gift a year. Last year was a painted wooden chest that housed 5 different perfumes representing the different temples from "Zelda Ocarina of Time" hubby programmed a chip to recreate the sound of the chest opening and in front of each perfume is a button that when pressed played the ocarina song from each temple in 8-bit and made the light tubing hidden in the chest change color.

3.Hoping to get some food gifts made. thinking about flavored salts, granola and whatever we have time to can.

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 09:10:58 PM »
I hope folks share pictures of the gifts they are working on.

As a former jewelry designer I always end up giving necklaces/earrings to family members. I will also probably try and make some more shutterfly photo books.  I made one for my in-laws for their vow renewal and they loved it and it cost a $1 because I had a coupon.

I am always stuck on what to give guys.  Any thoughts on creative things I can make for the men in my life? 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 09:25:43 PM »
I hope folks share pictures of the gifts they are working on.

As a former jewelry designer I always end up giving necklaces/earrings to family members. I will also probably try and make some more shutterfly photo books.  I made one for my in-laws for their vow renewal and they loved it and it cost a $1 because I had a coupon.

I am always stuck on what to give guys.  Any thoughts on creative things I can make for the men in my life?

Would you happen to know of any good resources for learning jewelry design? My SIL makes some great stuff, she is taking some courses through university. Unfortunately, not an option where I live but something I would love to get into.

Great idea on the photobooks! I have a whole bunch of photos sitting on my computer for my mom and in-laws I haven't had a chance to do anything with.

I always struggle with guy presents too. I have found food works, especially if you happen to know what kind of treats they like. I'm also going to pluck up the courage and try to make some soap this year and plan on making a couple of batches with "manly" smells

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 09:51:44 PM »
Would you happen to know of any good resources for learning jewelry design? My SIL makes some great stuff, she is taking some courses through university. Unfortunately, not an option where I live but something I would love to get into.

Great idea on the photobooks! I have a whole bunch of photos sitting on my computer for my mom and in-laws I haven't had a chance to do anything with.

I always struggle with guy presents too. I have found food works, especially if you happen to know what kind of treats they like. I'm also going to pluck up the courage and try to make some soap this year and plan on making a couple of batches with "manly" smells

I really only worked in wire wrapping and some polymer clay.  Never got into metalsmithing.  I used to enjoy going to Barnes and Noble's and would look at the handmade jewelry magazines such as Bead & Button and Beadstyle.  Check out the jewelry making section at the book store too.  In many cases, I thought most of the designs were not too contemporary so I would try to learn the key skills and then go online and check out the jewelry designs at companies like the Sundance Catalog or Neiman Marcus to get inspiration.

It can be a big time/money suck if you are not careful.

Good idea on the soaps - keep us informed of the recipes you use. 

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 07:30:54 AM »
Just an FYI - LivingSocial has a free code for a 20 page Shutterfly book for new customers (it is under the section - shop deals on their website).  I think you just have to pay shipping - which I believe runs $8 dollars.  I created one for my in-laws (as I mentioned above) and they really loved it. Would make a nice gift for the holidays.

CupcakeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »
This is a great idea!! I'm totally in.

For my parents/inlaws: photobooks and calendars with pictures of the kids. There is no gift they like better. I keep an eye out for coupons from the various online sites that do this - shutterfly/snapfish/etc.  I realize this one isn't exactly a homemade gift, but it fits the spirit of what I like to give.

For my 4 year old son: I'm making him an angry birds game with plushie/rice filled birds, pigs made out of cans, and crates/obstacles made out of spray-painted pvc pipe. I'm also making him a buzz lightyear costume - if I can't get it made in time for Halloween, it'll be for Christmas. :)

For my husband: I ordered a large variety of beer coasters off of ebay. I'm going to mod-podge them together and mount them underneath a round glass coffee table that he has in our game room.  I will also update the metal base of the table with new spray paint, etc.

For my 2 yo niece: I'm making her a princess costume.

My sister and I have an agreement where we don't buy each other gifts for christmas and birthdays. Instead, when we see each other, we go out to a nice restaurant together with just the two of us (no kids, no spouses).

For all extended family: this year we're making herb infused oils/vinegar for the adults. This website has great deals on glass bottles/containers in a huge variety of shapes: http://www.specialtybottle.com/

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 03:22:13 PM »
For all extended family: this year we're making herb infused oils/vinegar for the adults. This website has great deals on glass bottles/containers in a huge variety of shapes: http://www.specialtybottle.com/

Oh dear, I don't know if I should say you saved the day or lead me down a very dark path :P

These prices are way, way cheaper then I can get in Canada, and doing Aromatherapy I am forever running out of bottles...and I happen to be going to the States at the end of the month...

I think I'll go with thank you, it will save me loads of money:)

CupcakeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 03:23:39 PM »
A few ideas for gifts for guys that I've given in the past:

- Valet trays made out of leather or wood

- Etched beer mugs and/or shot glasses. Last year I picked up several mismatched glass beer mugs at a thrift store and I used glass etching cream to etch the house sigils for some of the Game of Thrones houses. Those were quite popular :)

- Terrarium

- Food! *cellos, salsas, beef jerky

I like the manly soap idea, though I have never made soap before so it'll be something new to try. :)

CupcakeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »

Oh dear, I don't know if I should say you saved the day or lead me down a very dark path :P

These prices are way, way cheaper then I can get in Canada, and doing Aromatherapy I am forever running out of bottles...and I happen to be going to the States at the end of the month...

I think I'll go with thank you, it will save me loads of money:)

I'm sorry, and you're welcome. :)

Becky O

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »
I did this last year! I made jarred mixes: cookies, brownies, hot chocolate, chai tea (everyone's favorite), spices, even laundry detergent!

I fully intend to do the same this year, as well as welcome any new ideas! I am IN!!

CupcakeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 04:23:26 PM »
Another food idea that I've done several times before is home made chex party mix. People always love it and it's quite inexpensive and easy to make.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »

What major city are you near?  There may be some folks or facilities in your area that provide classes that I might be able to recommend.

In the US, we have community colleges that offer low-cost adult continuing education courses.  I've gotten some great (and very affordable) training going that route.  I've attached a photo of a pendant that I made this year.

http://www.ganoksin.com has a very useful set of articles, how-to videos, and helpful email group. 
http://www.grainsofglass.com will give you some help learning how to enamel (which is a really cool jewelry art).
http://www.enamelistsociety.org/ is a professional group for enamelists, many of whom are jewelers.

There are other regional and city groups out there, too, but I would have to know what general area you're located in.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 09:52:53 PM »
Beautiful Pendant! Thanks for all the links, Swordguy, I'll spend some time checking them out.

I'm about a two hour drive (each way) outside of Prince George, BC. I would be interested in doing say a weekend class or something along that lines, but the universities here only offer evening classes, which is just not practical with that long of a drive.

I have been trying to find someone willing to come to our community to offer classes for years (You'd think as the Manager of the Art Centre, I would have some luck) We are just a little too out of the way to make it feasible for many people.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 10:59:06 PM »
Warning: I'm typing this under the influence of ambien so I make no promises as to clarity or really anything.  That being said, I'm thinking of these:

My mom - gift cert to pedicure. Not a homemade one either. Easier that way. She's very consumeristic.  Could do homemade soap or lotion in addition.
My dad - could do coffee or gift cert for hair cut at his barber.
Both- a photo book of the family and their grand kids
FIL- coffee pods for Keurig, homemade creamer of some kind, book
MIL- hand made cloth napkins, photo book, something else like homemade body wash or soap, book

Kids- we may shift to buying shares of stock along with a related physical item gift based upon each of their interests. Example, American Girl Doll or the company that creates my boy's favorite video games.

Did any of that make any sense whatsoever?

Gin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 12:06:58 AM »
I am making homemade vanilla extract for teachers, aunts, parents, sisters, friends,neighbors, etc.  i went a wee bit over board when buying vanilla beans and made 4 qts, whoops.  Once the vanilla is made I will use the leftover beans to make vanilla sugar.   

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 08:21:07 AM »
I am making homemade vanilla extract for teachers, aunts, parents, sisters, friends,neighbors, etc.  i went a wee bit over board when buying vanilla beans and made 4 qts, whoops.  Once the vanilla is made I will use the leftover beans to make vanilla sugar.

That sounds lovely.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 12:16:49 PM »

What kind of container do you put the extract in?  Thanks!

Gin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 01:39:42 PM »

What kind of container do you put the extract in?  Thanks!

I am going to put them in dark amber glass jars 2 oz. for my rarely cook friends, 4 oz. regular, 8 oz. super cooking friends.  There was a site that I now can't find but it had cheap glass bottles similar to what was posted earlier in the thread.  The vanilla sugar I will proably put in pint canning jars. 

For those interested super easy to make.  You buy vanilla beans I bought mine on sale at Olive Nation.  You need good quality vanilla bean.  You buy cheap vodka.  Pour vodka in qt. canning jars and add 20 vanilla beans that you cut lenghtwise almost to the end.  Make sure beans are covered.  Store in dark place, shake it up periodically, store for 4-6 months.  The longer the stronger.  Mine will be pretty strong so I recommend using half the amount that is called for in a recipe.  I use directions from heavenlyhomemaker.com.  She will list when go on sale or offer code discounts.  Hope this helps.

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
I didn't originally post the citrus-cello post, but I have made some excellent limoncello in the past.

You need:
2 bottles 100 proof vodka (Smirnoff is fine and somewhat cheap)
20 lemons (or an equivalent amount of other citrus: lime, tangerine, whatever you've got)
5 cups sugar/5 cups water
Glass vessel (old sun tea jars are excellent and can usually be found at Goodwill for $3 or so)

Wash lemons to get any wax off of them and peel them. Try and get as little pith (the white stuff) as possible. Put the peels in the glass jar with one bottle of vodka. Let sit in a dark place for 40 days. Heat the sugar and water on the stove to make a syrup, then let it cool. Add it to the lemon/vodka mix, along with another bottle of vodka. Let sit in a dark place for 40 more days. Bottle and enjoy!

Lemon curd is also a good use for excess lemon juice. I don't have a recommended recipe for lemon curd, I'm sure a good one can be found through Googling.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 11:17:04 PM »
^ there is a yummy looking recipe for lemon curd in Canning for a New Generation, haven't made it but it looks pretty straightforward.  has to be kept refrigerated though, so not good for mailing to people.
I started knitting a hat the other day and will probably finish it in a few days.  Going to knit some booties for my friends' new babies for Christmas, anyone have a good, easy kniting pattern for booties? 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 07:11:31 AM »
There's a pattern in one of the Stitch and Bitch books for booties, IIRC. They are tiny. They were not 100% practical but everyone gasped when they were opened at a baby shower, so I felt pretty good about that. ;-)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2013, 07:22:38 AM »
PS: I would like to make a photo book too. Do you make them online or do you print the photos and put them in a book? If you use an online service, could you recommend one to me? I used to use ofoto and that got bought by Kodak Gallery, I think.

CupcakeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2013, 07:41:39 AM »
PS: I would like to make a photo book too. Do you make them online or do you print the photos and put them in a book? If you use an online service, could you recommend one to me? I used to use ofoto and that got bought by Kodak Gallery, I think.

I usually use Shutterfly because I like the way the books turn out, and because they almost always have coupons available. :) (Don't buy a book there unless you have a 30% or 40% off coupon, often available right on their site.)

What you do is first choose all of the photos that you would like to include, plus a few extras, and then you'll upload them to their site. Then you'll choose a layout option for each page and drag your pictures to each picture square. They have layouts that range from a single picture per page to multiple pictures in a collage (in different arrangements). It's pretty intuitive when you start to use it, although the number of options can be overwhelming. Good luck!

ETA: I didn't answer your question, but the answer was obviously "online" for me. :) Printing out the photos and putting them in a book feels too much like scrap-booking to me, and I know that I would want to buy a bunch of accessories and tools that would be rarely used. So for me, online is far cheaper and faster.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:46:17 AM by CupcakeStache »

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2013, 07:47:11 AM »

I usually use Shutterfly because I like the way the books turn out, and because they almost always have coupons available. :) (Don't buy a book there unless you have a 30% or 40% off coupon, often available right on their site.)

What you do is first choose all of the photos that you would like to include, plus a few extras, and then you'll upload them to their site. Then you'll choose a layout option for each page and drag your pictures to each picture square. They have layouts that range from a single picture per page to multiple pictures in a collage (in different arrangements). It's pretty intuitive when you start to use it, although the number of options can be overwhelming. Good luck!

ETA: I didn't answer your question, but the answer was obviously "online" for me. :) Printing out the photos and putting them in a book feels too much like scrap-booking to me, and I know that I would want to buy a bunch of accessories and tools that would be rarely used. So for me, online is far cheaper and faster.

Thanks! My friend told me she started to make books of photos of her family. I want to do the same, and I think they would also make excellent presents for the grandparents!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
^ there is a yummy looking recipe for lemon curd in Canning for a New Generation, haven't made it but it looks pretty straightforward.  has to be kept refrigerated though, so not good for mailing to people.
I started knitting a hat the other day and will probably finish it in a few days.  Going to knit some booties for my friends' new babies for Christmas, anyone have a good, easy kniting pattern for booties?

Yarn Harlot's Cutest Booties Pattern.  If you're a knitter and not yet a member of Ravelry, JOIN!  It's free, and there is so much info there.  There are lots of free bootie patterns, too, but these look like they'd actually stay on (and I'm a big fan of the Yarn Harlot).

Splendid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2013, 01:25:22 PM »
- Etched beer mugs and/or shot glasses. Last year I picked up several mismatched glass beer mugs at a thrift store and I used glass etching cream to etch the house sigils for some of the Game of Thrones houses. Those were quite popular :)

I love this idea! I never realized you could do this at home. I think etched glasses are going to be everyone's Christmas gift this year. Maybe fill them with their favorite candy, wrap them up, and done.  Thanks for the idea!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2013, 04:24:21 PM »
If you happen to have a dremel tool, you can etch with that as well, works well for super detailed work and cheaper then the cream:)

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2013, 11:03:06 PM »
There's a pattern in one of the Stitch and Bitch books for booties, IIRC. They are tiny. They were not 100% practical but everyone gasped when they were opened at a baby shower, so I felt pretty good about that. ;-)
Excellent, thanks!  They have some of the stitch n bitch books at my library, hooray!