Author Topic: Homemade Christmas (and other holidays)- 2018 Edition  (Read 11155 times)

ChandraNH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Homemade Christmas (and other holidays)- 2018 Edition
« on: August 07, 2018, 08:21:25 AM »
Didn't see a 2018 thread started yet, so here goes:

What are you making for the holidays this year?

Prior threads:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/homemade-christmas-2013/

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/homemade-christmas-2014-edition!!/

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/homemade-christmas-2015-edition!!/

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/homemade-christmas-2016/

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/homemade-christmas-2017-edition!/

Sister:  I'm pickling a bunch of okra today and canning some homemade bloody mary mix tomorrow and will use those two, along with booze and maybe pickled green beans, in a bloody mary basket for my sister and brother in law (she's also getting a subscription to YNAB).

Mom:  Raspberry lemonade jam and green tomato and hot pepper pickles I canned last night, plus whatever else I wind up canning this summer.  I think I'll put together some homemade bath oils, soaps, scrubs, along with a photography class as she's finally fully retiring this year at age 68 and will need something to do.

MIL/FIL: Raspberry lemonade jam, green tomato and hot pepper pickles and whatever else I can.

What's on your list?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:23:00 AM by ChandraNH »

ChandraNH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Homemade Christmas (and other holidays)- 2018 Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 08:24:49 AM »
Forgot something:

FIL:  He and I are the only two who love fruitcake, so I'm making fruitcake for us this Christmas and probably need to get started soaking the fruit so it's ready. 

I think I'll also make some gingerbread cake for him.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »
Homemade gifts are going to be mostly on DH this year.  He's finally gotten access to a wood shop to work in, and he's going to make wood cutting boards and/or coasters for almost everyone.  For a few people who don't need those, I'll come up with something edible.  Maybe brandied pears again, those were popular last year.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »
This is inspiring! Last year, I knitted scarves out of fancy yarn for both parents (mom’s was silk lace weight, dad’s was a wool/cashmere blend). I think it’s my MIL’s turn to receive a scarf: something super-soft in cranberry red.

Husband brews beer and wine, we both can fruits and veggies, and I love to bake so I think there will be many food gifts this year.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 09:44:34 AM »
I'm just getting started for this year.  I do a combo of sewn gifts, knit gifts, and food gifts, so I'm definitely behind.

Joann's 75th anniversary sale is going on, and they have a bunch of holiday fabric for $1.50 and $1.75 a yard.  I'm going to pick some up to make reusable gift bags and our matching Christmas pajamas.

Here are my projects and their status:

Scarf for DW - half finished
Matching family PJs - need to buy fabric
Gift bags - some are sewn already, need more fabric
Letter beanbags for DD - Cut out and ready to sew
Hot sauce for teachers - peppers are growing in the garden
Layered mason jar soup mix for teachers - the split peas and red lentils require a trip to the Indian market, I have the other beans already
Buckeyes for FIL - need to be made in December

Need to figure out what I'm doing for MIL, my mom, and my son who will be almost 2.

ChandraNH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 12:26:09 PM »
Ooh hot sauce is a great idea.  we have tabasco peppers ripening now and can likely get a few bottles out of that.

Also my mom has a ton of pecan trees in her yard, so I may gather a bunch and make pralines.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »
Good timing, great idea. PTF!

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 04:21:34 AM »
This thread so inspired me last year! I ended up having a great time making coasters with fancy paper and mod pod for my girls (and the obligatory “first try” set for myself!) :)

I also generally make a foodstuff, and last year was spiced nuts; I made sweet batches but also savory ones for diabetic friends/relatives last year.

This year I’ve started early with a cross stitch piece for my daughter. Looking forward to following this thread for other creative ideas.

Thanks for sharing!

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 04:38:26 AM »
I'm thrilled to see this thread. I've knitted up an infinity scarf for my best friend - funny backstory on that. She gave me a bag of lovely yarn and asked if I would make her one (since she couldn't figure it out), and gift it to her for Christmas. So I looked on YouTube and found an excellent video. Bonus: she gave me so much yarn that I made matching infinity scarves for her daughters. :)

Still to work on: cross stitch project for my sister, and cross stitch ornaments for the kids.

Looking forward to getting ideas. :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 05:37:01 AM »
PTF. Need to start planning for this Christmas!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 11:53:37 AM »
I'm not sure what I'll do this year.  My dad will get some homemade pie crust mix, as usual (gave it to him once and he's requested it as a gift ever since).  Last year I made all the guys pot holders and skillet handle pot holders (they all cook, everyone uses cast iron), and all the girls got small purses/bags.  Past years I've done dog treats, vanilla, oatmeal smoothie mix, stuff like that.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 06:36:10 AM »
Oh man. I'm so glad I scanned this thread. I would never have thought about making homemade hot sauce and that is a genius idea!  Does anyone know if it freezes well? The hot peppers are the only thing that is growing like mad in my garden this year and I'd love to use some of them up.

I did make 12 jars of strawberry jam in June that I am keeping in the freezer until December when I'll give them to coworkers with a simple holiday ornament. I just have to find a creative way of making them look gift-worthy. I'm thinking a small bit of fabric and cute coord around the top but need to see what I already have vs. what I need to pick up between now and then.  This is the first time ever I'll be giving a homemade food-item and I'm very excited about it. One girl from my office does homemade doggie treats for the dog owners and another does homemade salsa every year. I really like the homemade touch.

I really like to do a small something for my coworkers each year to let them know how much I appreciate working with them and I am so happy to have something sorted out so far in advance this time. It's a huge relief. Since my husband and I only exchange like one thing for the holidays, and the two sons are 19 and 20 now, it should be an easy holiday gifting year. (they really only want money, chocolate, and maybe a few gift cards to places they like to eat).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 06:43:20 AM by Need2Save »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 07:21:40 AM »
Made holiday sugar cookies decorated with red and green icing last year which turned out beautifully, so I may do the same again this year. Since most locals in China don't own an oven, homemade cookies are a special treat. I also made a gingerbread house last year which turned out very nicely. Homemade gingerbread houses are also a rare treat, and I think the staff will enjoy it.

JustInStarting

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 05:49:52 AM »
Homemade soap, and may be cookies. I have to start another batch of soap soon  to make sure that they are well cured before Christmas.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 08:35:53 PM »
I think I'm going to make this for my 2 year old.  Just the Mr. Potatohead set, not the whole quiet book:

http://jocelynandjason.blogspot.com/2011/11/mr-potato-head-quiet-book-pages-10-11.html

It's 9:30 right now and I'm trying to decide if I gather my chi to do some crafting right now.   I might just knit for a bit, or Google up some more gift ideas for my mom and MIL.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 06:54:26 AM »
Last year I made a lot of dill pickles, raspberry jalapeno jam, rosemary garlic bread, and some rolled kolach bread.  I always feel like I should be getting people more permanent things, but then I remember that *I* don't want permanent things either, and maybe food items are the best choice after all.  I'm always glad for this Christmas thread for more ideas, though!

So far the only permanent thing on my Christmas list for me is more beeswax paper to replace waxed paper for food storage.

ChandraNH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 11:22:43 AM »
I'm one of those odd people who love getting homemade things for Christmas, versus another dust-collector that I have to remember to take out of storage when the gift-giver comes over.

Don't know if hot sauce can be frozen, but if you're up for it find some fermented hot sauce recipes, I think those will keep out of the freezer and without canning techniques.

Saw a neat gift idea on reddit, a cheeseboard set without the cheese.  The poster made spiced nuts, a couple of jams, homemade crackers, dried fruit I think and paired them up nicely in a gift box with recommendations for cheeses to go with the items.  You could even throw in a gift card for a local cheese shop and you have a great gift for someone who likes to entertain.

got a bunch of melons at the farmer's market this weekend so I'm making melon jam for the first time and that will go in my husband's stocking.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »
Like @ChandraNH said, many hot sauce recipes can keep in just a clean bottle.  Any vinegar-based hot sauce will keep outside the fridge, and same for the fermented ones.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 06:38:10 AM »
@SimpleCycle , @ChandraNH , thanks for the hot sauce idea!  My sister and sister-in-law both love hot sauce, and we're growing jalapeno and habanero peppers this year, so I have somewhere to start!  My sister is on a super strict diet for bodybuilding, so hot sauce is a much better plan than jam or sweet bread :)

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 07:28:31 AM »
PTF

We've done vanilla extract in the past with rave reviews, so will probably check on my supply and make more if needed.  I've gotten away from baked goods because my extended family just didn't seem very appreciative. So last year they got nothing from us (which they were all fine with). Grandma has decided to retire from hosting Christmas, so that side of my family will not be getting together anymore.

I'm having trouble finding my motivation this year. Good thing I've still got a few months.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 11:38:29 AM »
One of my favorite threads!
So far I've made a jewelry roll for my best friend, travel sets for my two editors (3 cloth charging cord keepers that fasten with velcro and a matching zip pouch for earbuds, in a matching zipper bag suitable for toiletries), and some of the cord keepers in a different fabric for my husband's stocking. I'm planning to knit leg warmers for my elderly FIL, who because of nerve damage suffers from chronic coldness in his lower legs. I've also canned various jams and salsa, some of which will be gifted.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 01:56:01 PM »
I have done natural stone tiles in the past and they are still used by everyone that I gave them to.

I am trying to get back into crocheting (as a stress reducer) and I am thinking some simple wash cloth sets with craft soaps would be pretty good little gives.  We will see if I can figure that out in time for the holidays.

If you can't tell, I am really just posting so that this thread keeps popping up for me!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 03:14:45 PM »
PTF. I love doing homemade things (do some number of homemade gifts every year) but it can be hard to figure out What To Make. I end up doing candies and dog treats every year, and usually some amount of yarn-crafted item, but I'm starting to stymy myself and need some new ideas.

I really like the cheeseboard sans cheese idea -- I may snag that for my boyfriend's dad.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 04:22:30 PM »
I'd like to join!

So far, I'm making these things:
- cross stitched gift for a friend
- PJ pants for us + visitors (total of 4) - this is a new tradition I started last year and was a big success.
- matching dog / cat collars. Made them from the fabric scraps of the pants, were also received very well.

I need to come up with a LOT more things.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 04:58:16 PM »
The chessboard sounds like a great idea for my Dad. Thanks for sharing!I

@Mntgrl  the translate sound interesting to me, would you share the instructions?

Last year I made lunchbags with wax material that were a success and I made notice boards out of pieces of wood ( kitchen cupboard front pieces) that I can always find very  cheap(2-3 €) in Ikeas Fundgrube. They usually have a " framed" look and I use self adhesive Velcro ( from Aldi) to attach small laminated cards.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 07:04:18 PM »
I have done natural stone tiles in the past and they are still used by everyone that I gave them to.

I am trying to get back into crocheting (as a stress reducer) and I am thinking some simple wash cloth sets with craft soaps would be pretty good little gives.  We will see if I can figure that out in time for the holidays.

If you can't tell, I am really just posting so that this thread keeps popping up for me!

I was given a gift something like this once -  a "spa in a jar"* - handknit washcloth in white cotton, bath salts, homemade soap, a natural clay mask, a homemade "massage tart" and a tea candle in a pretty mason jar.   A Christmas napkin with a poinsettia replaced the canning lid (the canning ring held it on and the poinsettia was centered), so it was very seasonal.

*Literally, it had a pretty label that said SPA in a Jar.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 07:31:42 PM »
I love handmade gifts for people who appreciate them 😀

In the past I've made towels that hang on your oven/fridge handle, soaps, book clutch purse (take a book's guts out, cover in fabric and add a zipper, it was really cute).

This year we're traveling for Christmas, everyone is meeting in a fun destination. I wanted to do vanilla, but since it's a liquid it would be inconvenient for the receivers to take on their flights home.

I sew, so I'm into ideas that are sewn. Maybe infinity scarves? They're quick. Or cute bags but those aren't great for the men.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 08:41:19 PM »
The chessboard sounds like a great idea for my Dad. Thanks for sharing!I

@Mntgrl  the translate sound interesting to me, would you share the instructions?

Here are the instructions for the cord keepers -- super useful and easy to make: http://leafytreetopspot.blogspot.com/2013/05/tutorial-diy-cord-keeper-from-fabric.html

This is the instructions for the earbud pouch: https://www.erinerickson.com/2011/11/circle-zip-earbud-pouch-tutorial/

And this is the jewelry roll: https://www.marthastewart.com/1528028/quilted-jewelry-roll

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2018, 11:49:18 PM »
Mtngrl, thanks for sharing, I will make some for family and I think these will also be great for the Christmas fair at my kids Steiner School.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2018, 12:14:12 PM »
Decided on some crocheted mittens for MIL.  It's a fun to crochet pattern so far!

Made six jars of peach jam.  Two will go to my mom, who loves peaches.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 12:05:03 PM »
I had a little extra time this week and used it to make some gifts. A pair of pj pants for my husband, this adorable owl pincushion for my MIL (who collects all things owl) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n687pnKi6oM and flour sack dish towels with funny sayings (also for my MIL). The towels look fabulous and were so easy! I decided what I wanted them to say (One says Life is Short -- Lick the Bowl and the others says My Kitchen was clean last week -- sorry you missed it.) I looked at ideas on Pinterest, then made up an 8 1/2 X 11 poster using Canva, printed it out, laid the flour sack towel over the paper and traced the design with a Super Fine Line Sharpie marker -- then colored in with a Fine Point Sharpie. I let the marker dry, then starched and ironed the towels -- they look awesome and two towels took less than an hour. I bought a four-pack of towels at Target ages ago for a few dollars.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2018, 02:38:39 PM »
I decided on giving everyone smoked salt this year.  Bought a big jug of coarse sea salt, and will use mostly mesquite to give it a super smokey flavor.

I might also make and can a specialty mustard.  Not sure about that yet.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2018, 02:40:18 PM »
That owl pincushion is darling!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2018, 02:02:15 PM »
I'm making my 4-year-old a fleece blanket, and probably a bracelet or something. Last year I made apricot liqeur and limoncello, which were big hits. I may do something similar this year, although I'm also trying to talk my family into limiting gift exchanging among the adults, and those probably aren't great gifts for kids. ;)

Homemade bath bombs would probably fun for my niece and young female cousins.  I have some molds already. Do boys (age 4) generally like bath bombs?

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 06:46:40 PM »
Last year’s thread inspired me. I told our families in advance that we planned on only giving homemade consumables for Xmas like candles and cookies, they could reciprocate however they liked, but were not making any Xmas lists for anyone as we had everything we needed. (But in a manner I hope came off nicer/more grateful.) It was pretty successful in reducing the Xmas clutter. Although, I think it helped that I’ve also been trying to avoid “things” for the last few years, talking about Marie Kondo and minimalism year round.  F1: oh look at this, wouldn’t that be nice. Me: yes, but we don’t have a lot of room and you know I’m trying to reduce our stuff. F1: (eye roll) oh yes, your minimalism (said as if a dirty word). I find minimalism a great excuse for frugality in general.

DH and I ended up making candles, soap, cookies (pumpkin snickerdoodle, molasses, and banana pecan shortbreads), peanut butter cups, and kaluhua last year. I think it saved us minimal money when adding up materials, but we didn’t plan out that far in advance. More importantly it saved a ton of stress trying figure out what to give everyone and to think up appropriate/varying priced wishlist items to give three sets of parents. (Parents who always demand wishlists and were very displeased Xmas 2016 when I did the unthinkable and made one list for all three.) Plus, something about making gifts put me in the Xmas spirit, more so than I had been since a young kid. So huge thank you to everyone posting ideas on last year’s thread!

The Kaluhua and peanut butter cups went over the best, so I’m doubling those and dropping the molasses cookies. I’m also dropping the candles and soaps and plan on trying out another non-cookie food item. I’m thinking freezer jam or the hot sauce and and brandied pears ideas sound great too! Starting the Kaluhua this weekend. DH got vodka on sale last weekend :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2018, 07:44:09 PM »
Mtngrl - love that earbud pouch - thanks for the instructions. Somehow seeing that project sparked ideas all around.

There will be homemade cookies again this year. No idea yet what else - it's too early to get in the X-mas spirit:)

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2018, 09:23:44 PM »
I've been trying to make batches of things when the mood strikes me, so that I'm ready for any gifting. I currently have loads of home-made soaps, and two kinds of homemade jam, and some dried morel mushrooms that I'm thinking about making into a risotto-in-a-jar type gift.

But, TBH, I'm not feeling Christmassy this year so am tempted to skip the $1000+ it will cost us to fly to my husband's family (it's their year) and go to a cabin with our dog instead.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2018, 07:13:14 AM »
Since we're meeting the whole of my husband's family (well his mom's side, approximately 30 people) for a destination holiday I need something plane friendly (for us and the recipients) and inexpensive.

I think I am going to make Christmas ornaments.  The 2013 thread inspired me. I have a bunch of green fabric scraps from another project this year so I might so scrappy Christmas tree ornaments. I'm off on Friday and might do a trial. Though I'm really liked the reindeer ones I saw on the 2013 thread, I'd have to buy supplies for those.

Then for his mom and grandma, I think I will make infinity scarves with little pockets like this one: http://chasecoco.blogspot.com/2018/10/infinity-scarf-with-pocket-tutorial.html

Not sure yet about the men...

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2018, 01:50:25 PM »
@Peachtea the Kahlua is a great idea! Do you use vanilla beans or extract? If you use beans, do you have any suggestions for where to buy them inexpensively?

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2018, 06:37:32 PM »
We used imitation vanilla extract because we couldn’t find cheap beans or extract. It was less than $2 on Amazon. Since it turned out really good last year, we’re doing the same this year. Although the internet says it is much better if you use beans. I think we found a recipe using real extract and then doubled the amount with the imitation.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2018, 07:15:26 PM »
Thanks for the reminder and all the great ideas!

So far I have only 3 gifts planned:
FIL - a crochet blanket
Neighbors - Homemade bread

Mr D and I need to talk about what everyone else is getting. 

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2018, 08:53:38 AM »
We used imitation vanilla extract because we couldn’t find cheap beans or extract. It was less than $2 on Amazon. Since it turned out really good last year, we’re doing the same this year. Although the internet says it is much better if you use beans. I think we found a recipe using real extract and then doubled the amount with the imitation.
Thanks! I have a big Costco bottle of real extract so I think I'll use that.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 11:22:07 AM »
Plans:

Mom: an array of framed photos (need to sneakily acquire one of her dog that died this past year)
BF's dad: cheeseboard without the cheese idea from here (going to make a bunch of homemade mustards, as he loves mustard)

Dad: repair some slippers I'd made him + maybe some home-knit socks??
Bestie: homemade candy (probably apple cider caramels) + a donation to charity??

BF's mom: ??? I have zero clue right now. BF's mom seems to be more of an experience person.
BF: ??? (symbol of Sarenrae? is this when I finally teach myself some very basic metal working?)

I think everybody else gets homemade candies/cookies.

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2018, 04:11:54 PM »
I'm in! I mean, I'm always in, since knitting is one of my main hobbies year-round, and I typically start working on Christmas gifts around July. To keep this additionally frugal I'm trying to only use yarn that I already have (which is....a lot).
  • Mom, Dad, Brother-in-Law, Family Friend: knitted socks (already done!!)
  • Work Friend: knitted cowl (in progress)
  • Friends' Babies (2): knitted toys, TBD. There are just so many cute patterns out there it's really hard to choose.
  • Grandmother: ?? She already has everything, and I made her socks last year, so maybe a nice warm pair of felted slippers? Those tend to be a big hit and they'll keep her cold feet warm and cozy all winter long.
And in the non-knitted category:

I'm excited to see what you all will be making! Maybe I'll get inspired :)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2018, 03:37:48 AM »
Posting for accountability: my bf is away for the next 6 hours. I need to sew him his gift today while I can use the large living room table instead of the small sewing desk upstairs. Hopefully I'll have enough time to wrap it up and hide it before he gets home. He nearly found the fabric last week, but he won't open a wrapped up gift if he happens to find it.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2018, 08:15:22 PM »
Posting for accountability: my bf is away for the next 6 hours. I need to sew him his gift today while I can use the large living room table instead of the small sewing desk upstairs. Hopefully I'll have enough time to wrap it up and hide it before he gets home. He nearly found the fabric last week, but he won't open a wrapped up gift if he happens to find it.

Ha. My husband walked in on me while I was cutting out a pair of pajama pants for him at our table. I literally threw my body across everything and shouted. "Turn around! Don't look!"

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2018, 08:31:29 PM »
following for inspiration

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2018, 07:55:55 PM »
I'm considering gifting Christmas-y...

1) Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti drizzled with white chocolate
2) Cranberry White Chocolate Fudge Bark -- I looked up a few recipes, and bark is easier to make than fudge.

That should do for all of DH's coworkers, all of my coworkers, DD's classmates and teachers, and family friends. A little Christmas basket of fudge and/or biscotti. I'm thinking of buying little cellophane bags to individually wrap the fudge. I have lots of left over ribbon to make the packaging pretty.

Now I just need to find a good recipe.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 01:15:48 AM by Freedomin5 »

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2018, 09:53:49 AM »
Recipes for barks are really easy -- technique is a little more complex, because you have to temper the chocolate if you want a really high quality bark. The basic recipe is:

1. Melt chopped chocolate in double boiler/in glass bowl set over boiling pot of water; add a bit of extract if you're using any to flavor the chocolate (e.g. for peppermint bark I usually use .25 tsp of peppermint extract for a pound of chocolate).
2. Temper chocolate.
3. Spread chocolate on wax paper set on a cookie sheet or other hard, even surface.
4. Sprinkle your add-ins on top.
5. Cool.

Tempering chocolate's not hard, it's just annoying time-consuming. However, it will give your bark that glossy surface and wonderful snap!

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2018, 12:09:56 PM »
I have decided on scrappy Christmas tree ornaments for everyone in DH's family that we will see for Xmas and they are in progress! I am thinking one ornament per "family unit." I have 5 finished and another 8 cut out and ready to be finished.

Frugal win: I had all of the supplies needed left over from various other sewing projects except for some star buttons I ordered from Etsy to sew to the points.