Author Topic: Sneak Up On Health January 2020 Challenge  (Read 1094 times)

Moustachienne

• Bristles
Sneak Up On Health January 2020 Challenge
« on: December 30, 2019, 01:16:03 PM »
I've had a lot of success in losing weight, building muscle, and lowering blood sugar levels by making very small changes and keeping them up over time, now three years and counting.  The last couple of weeks have knocked me off my routines and while it's been fun, time to reset the basics!  Anyone else like a stealth challenge?  Changes so small your Inner Rebel and Outer Sloth don't even notice?

Here's the challenge starting January 1:
1) walk outside for 30 minutes every day*
2) do 10 abdominal crunches every day

That's it! If you want to do more, great, but the goal for this challenge is met at 30 minutes/10 crunches per day.   

I'll post my results every week or so until the end of January and hope others join in too.  Keep it simple, keep it going!

*I live in a rainy Pacific Coast city so my worst case weather scenario is getting very wet. If you have to fight blizzards and wind chill, indoor walking or other substitutes gladly accepted.  We're not being martyrs here!  Just keep moving.

Heading out in the rain to walk right now!

Moustachienne

• Bristles
Re: Sneak Up On Health January 2020 Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 03:24:56 PM »
So although this challenge didn't resonate with anyone else, it's been good for me.  :)  Posting to keep myself accountable! 

The daily walking has been fairly easy as it's building on a pretty well established habit of almost daily walking.  Often I just need to extend the route I was already taking to swim, run errands, etc.  Making it a daily thing has meant I make sure to seize on breaks between rain storms to get out.

The crunches are a new thing for me and have been harder to remember.  Mostly I end up doing them just before bed - or even getting out of bed to get them done!  I've increased the crunches minimum from 10 to 15 as 10 was too easy.  Trying not to push up beyond 20 though as the whole point of this is to keep things easy and under the radar.  Daily consistency is hard enough.

Jan 1 - Walked 45 min; 10 crunches
Jan 2 - Walked 40 min; 15 crunches
Jan 3 - Walked 40 min; 15 crunches
Jan 4 - Walked 30 min; 20 crunches

Best of luck to anyone else trying to "not break the chain" on a behaviour change!