Author Topic: Hella cheap-ass May!  (Read 23358 times)

centwise

• Stubble
Re: Hella cheap-ass May!
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »
Hi Westtoeast,

Goals:
- No eating out (easy)
- 50 per week groceries
- No Amazon randoms (excluding planned vitamin purchase)
- No clothing (tricky with summer coming, and disliking all my dresses)

I can relate to the "need" for the occasional fabulous summer dress. I know that you don't want the temptation, but if you find that you really need a shopping fix, scrounge up a $5 bill and head for the Goodwill! So many people seem to buy resort wear while travelling, and then donate it practically unworn. Goodwill is the source of all my summer faves.

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2017, 12:13:50 AM »
Hi everyone!

I would like to join this gauntlet! My Goals for may are the following:

• stay within my grocery Budget of 550,00 EUR (includes beverages and eating out). It is not low but still a challenge for us. Room for improvement!
  • Use the Train for my commute 10x this month (I have a monthly pass that is subsided by my employer and only costs me 38,00 EUR). Makes me save on gas but takes longer to use public transportation
  • No other spending exept those items if a good Price Comes up
    • Storage item for balcony
    • 1 pair of jeans for me (I only have one left)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:27:46 AM by GermanStache »

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2017, 04:54:28 AM »
Hi Westtoeast,

Goals:
- No eating out (easy)
- 50 per week groceries
- No Amazon randoms (excluding planned vitamin purchase)
- No clothing (tricky with summer coming, and disliking all my dresses)

I can relate to the "need" for the occasional fabulous summer dress. I know that you don't want the temptation, but if you find that you really need a shopping fix, scrounge up a $5 bill and head for the Goodwill! So many people seem to buy resort wear while travelling, and then donate it practically unworn. Goodwill is the source of all my summer faves.

Thanks! Yeah, maybe I should do this as a prevention measure... spending 5 now at Goodwill may prevent a total collapse of spending 50 online or at Loft!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2017, 10:01:42 AM »
Welcome, Germanstache!

Hi everyone!

I would like to join this gauntlet! My Goals for may are the following...

My main reason for being ultra-frugal in May/June is so that I can pay for travel to your "neck of the woods" in July!

Good luck finding a great price for a pair of jeans. What's the thrift-shop or used-clothing scene like in Germany?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:01:08 PM by centwise »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2017, 10:08:18 AM »
I'm off to a poor start. I forgot about a $60 Paypal exchange. Car insurance was due on the first. My boss wanted coffee, and I caved without any thought. I bought groceries.

Blahhhhh.

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2017, 12:29:38 PM »
@centwise: wow, where are you heading too?
EBay here is strong and Goodwill is getiting better. However since I am a plus sitze there is usually not much choice.. And I prefer to try on the clothes before buying them so that cuts out eBay....

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »

May 1: $1075 regular fixed expenses
May 2: $20 groceries and household items
May 3: $11.50 groceries

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2017, 01:23:24 PM »
Spending so far:
5/1
Mortgage payment, Charitable contribution, Husband's jui jitsu fee all came out on the first and are fixed
Health spending: $70 doctor co-pay, $13.50 pharmacy, $19.95 on amazon for purchase related to these
Gas: $20.32 to commuter car

5/2: $10.49 skin cream for DH
5/3: $22.84 grocery, $41.66 grocery, $7.10 gift for friends who got engaged

Food spending isn't starting off great, obviously, but I'm hoping it slows down. We'll see, since we still have 2 weeks of whole30.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2017, 08:01:31 PM »
Yesterday I spent 1020+139 on rent and health insurance
Today I spent $19.30 on food. I also paid some bills, but that is last month's spending, and online money, so doesn't count.
Today I spent $6 on food. While terrible, May is still less spendy then the second half of April. Hoping to be at hella cheap by the end of the month.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2017, 09:22:23 PM »
01 - 07 MAY
Rent:            $1075
Auto Insurance:  $217.98
Coffee:          $4.35
Gift:            $60.00
Groceries:       $45.72
Patreon:         $76.92
Professional:    $71.05 
Comcast:         $xx
====================
Week Total       $1551.02

Definitely not hella cheap, but the only actual indulgence is the coffee. All groceries were purchased off a list, so I'm not sneaking anything under the guise of combined billing, either. No snacking for this double thumb owner!

I still owe $39.99, for internet. And I have a social engagement tomorrow, for which I've budgeted $10. More ominously, my car has a service appointment on Monday. And sadly, the beast has a history of sucking money down its tailpipe, never to be seen again.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2017, 06:22:18 AM »
No spending besides mortgage and bills so far.
5/1: Mortgage (PITI)-$2041, Water Bill (April Usage)-$69.05,
5/2: Gas Bill (April Usage)- $26.16, Auto Ins.-$69.23
5/3: Nothin'
Total = $2,205.87 ($1,764.14 if you don't count the principal part of the mortgage).
I love everything about my house and neighborhood but dayumm that mortgage payment is pricey :\

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2017, 07:41:33 AM »
I am almost halfway through my May and doing pretty good (I run to the 23rd of the month) My groceries are exactly where they should be. I have eaten out a few times to the tune of $100 but they were some unusual social events that I really didn't want to miss and budgeted for. I have even spent some money on renovations and am still within my budget!

Despite still being long term sick and missing some work (unpaid) I have met my first debt payment goal for the year on schedule and I am confident that I will end this year with almost half as much debt as I currently have - again right on schedule! I just keep thinking what an accomplishment it will be to be debt free in two years even while being sick and not making as much money as normal. Some days that thought is really the only thing pushing me forward.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
Today I spent $19.30 on food. I also paid some bills, but that is last month's spending, and online money, so doesn't count.
Today I spent $6 on food. While terrible, May is still less spendy then the second half of April. Hoping to be at hella cheap by the end of the month.
$12 on food
And someone broke a $200 piece of equipment at work. Going in armed with tools Saturday morning. The tools can be used either to repair the equipment, or to bludgeon the someone.

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2017, 04:53:55 AM »
Despite still being long term sick and missing some work (unpaid) I have met my first debt payment goal for the year on schedule and I am confident that I will end this year with almost half as much debt as I currently have - again right on schedule! I just keep thinking what an accomplishment it will be to be debt free in two years even while being sick and not making as much money as normal. Some days that thought is really the only thing pushing me forward.

This is awesome! Congrats!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2017, 11:21:56 AM »
Starting the gauntlet thread because I need one. Who is with me?

The rules:
1 be mindful and careful with every dollar
2 spend less
3 don't let money make you miserable or stressed

Well, then - let the challenge begin - after a super expensive April-planned vacation and a visit from Germany plus spending half my annual clothes budget and paying off my (interest free) totally indulgent jewelry purchases. Yup - I binged and I'm feeling the pinch:)

Reigning it all in ...
No extras of any kind for May
Dreaming up ways to save and make money

So far today
- transferred money into my Holiday Club Account to take full advantage of the 2% interest up to $4000 - done.
- transferred roughly $80 (rewards points to my regular savings account:)
- made $35 on a photography sale - money sent to my savings account:)
- looking at finding a credit card and/or a bank account bonus - must be at least $200 or better
- found, yes found a scratch off ticket while cleaning - yeah, $2 win. Guessing it must have been a birthday gift to Mr. R. that he ignored like he does all the lottery related things - me, I love the idea of winning big or small:)

TONIGHT:  Making homemade tomato sauce with tomatoes and basil, parsley, peppers and garlic chives and oregano. Everything harvested fresh from my garden.

Next week:
I plan on updating my website in the hopes of generating more photography sales. This will most likely turn into a month long project.
Looking for BOGO Starbucks Espresso and a $1 or $2 off my other favorite coffee.

For the rest of the month:

1. Will hover for coupons and deals to help with the food budget ...
Will let Mr. R. know - no more food purchases until we cleared out the freezer and half the pantry.

2. Will dedicate a couple of hours daily to earn a few bucks on mturk and on Prolific too while I'm at it - to add to my savings.

3. Will take full advantage of the peppers and tomatoes ripening in my garden.
4. Trying out a new tea mix this weekend - spearmint and lemon verbena. Keeping them separate for now, since I love both flavors on their own and I'm not certain how they will taste together.

5. The only good thing I managed to do in April was harvesting a lot of orange mint for tea. In my defense, we were on tour or out of town almost the entire month.
 This weekend, I plan on harvesting a ton of different herbs and mints - including mojito mint (nothing like a Mojito to make Florida's heat bearable).

6. One of my favs - Orange mint for tea - drying in my kitchen/dining window right now.

7. Haven't tried the electric drying rack I picked up at Aldi last year - we'll see how it does with tomatoes, I'd love to grind some into tomato powder and see if I can use it for my own dried soup base....

Heck, I may even look into doing a mystery shop or two to bring in some extra dollars this month and/or next month, depending on what I find.

Above all, I will hang out on MMM a lot to keep me grounded in the saving mentality and maybe pick up a tip or two from all you talented people on MMM.

Will update to let you all know how it goes. Oh and wish me luck - I'm car shopping:) That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!

GOOD LUCK with all your May endeavors everyone!:)

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »

May 5: $20 groceries, $25 gas

$848.5 remaining.

I'm rounding up so the numbers are prettier and I end up with secretly lower spending, by a couple of dollars. Tricksy!

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2017, 12:33:53 PM »
Ok, Week One recap time! I am not including rent, utilities, bus pass or student loan payments in these numbers so that I can get a clear view of just my flexible spending.

May 1: $10 (Udemy course on super sale-- to help with my freelancing writing)
May 2: $2.75 (Uber); $27 (Keds sneakers)
May 3: $12 (Uber); $75 (groceries); $20 (ingredients for b-day cake for friend w/ gluten and dairy allergies)
May 4: $92 (language guide, travel guide, maps, travel cooking pot, face serum) FROM TRAVEL FUND, NOT MONTHLY SPEND
May 5: $20 (pizza party I owed one of the student clubs I run)
May 6: 0
May 7 (anticipated): 0

Current Total: $140
Goal: $400 ($260 remaining)

Yeah, this does not look great so far. I feel I have some explaining to do, haha. First, I have a travel fund that I used for the Amazon order of things for my upcoming trip. Not thrilled about the spend, but I'm going to Japan and will feel much better with these language and travel guides in my purse. I'm not including this spend in my current total. The big Uber cost is getting to a painting class that is tricky by public transport (the class was a birthday gift). I got held up at work that day and needed to Uber to make it in time-- I need to be more organized next week. I see the sneakers as a pretty unavoidable cost. I walk a lot in the summer and my sneakers just never last more than a year or so. I also haven't had luck finding sneakers second hand (boots are easy to find because they are sturdy, but sneakers just get icky). The grocery spend is really ridiculous. Here's what happened-- I was able to get a ride to Whole Foods, which I took because I needed a few specialty items, and then I just caved to the convenience of buying the other food items I needed for the week there. I will NOT do this again this month-- Trader Joe's only from here on out.

I think my spending has been pretty frontloaded, but with upcoming travel things just always seem to pop up. I'm really trying to limit this but I get nervous about being unprepared. I may do a "practice pack" this weekend to see what I actually already have and comfort myself.

If anyone wants to provide face slaps for any of this spending, feel free!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2017, 03:31:58 PM »
Spending so far:
Phone:13
Medical supplies:103-will be reimbursed from FSA
Printer ink:65- cheaper in bulk, should last a long time
Electricity-172- I have vampires, need to get around to slaying them with my kill a watt
Target-52 (got 64lbs of cat food-mega sale, 2 clearance baby sheets, loaf of bread, clearance donuts, some dog chews, and an expanding file folder)

=405

Also I paid the garbage bill for the year this month $371( pay 12 months, get 13th month free)- just going to count these things in the month they come up, there is always something like this

Upcoming Known Expenses:
Mortgage 1589 (542 principal, 718 interest, 329 tax and insurance)
Spousal mystery fund:1000- he gets 500 out of each paycheck - he buys most of our groceries, household supplies, parts, gas, and oil for the cars/mower, his phone bill, other odds and ends
Internet:57
Netflix:9

=2655

Total =3431 (2889 if I don't count mortgage principal)- and that's if I don't spend any more this month

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2017, 05:57:51 AM »

$12 on food
And someone broke a $200 piece of equipment at work. Going in armed with tools Saturday morning. The tools can be used either to repair the equipment, or to bludgeon the someone.
May 5 $3 on food
May 6 $135 on food and party supplies. So much to carry. It is a party for 10, so in my culture, that means cooking and nibbles for 35, and included purchasing extra plastic ware to send home leftovers. Also stuff for loot bags. I love parties.
May 7 - taking 11 people bowling (one can't come to lunch). I booked it at half price, so $90.

Running total=1434 - already way above my monthly planned spending. $150 left in my monthly cushion

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2017, 08:28:41 AM »
Goals:
$500 groceries
Reduce at least my share of alcohol spend by half
$0 clothing
$0 coffee shops, fast food, restaurants
$0 other house projects
$0 yard work/landscaping (already should have everything I need)
$0 garden (won't be around to take care of it in July, so just lettuce this year)
Use existing Amazon/MC gift cards for any absolutely necessary purchases
Sell some stuff on eBay
Cash in change jar
Cash out Paypal, UPromise, iBotta money
Re-deposit poker cash

Going through Mint to look for any categories I missed
Cancel HBO Now
$0 books
$0 craft supplies
Cancel DS Spotify account
$0 nails, massages, etc.
Cancel recurring political donation
$100 fitness equipment (required for DD hiking trip)

We'll see how it goes.
It's going pretty well so far. The cashouts from various accounts are in flight, and the poker cash is back in the bank. I stocked up on enough quality inexpensive beer and wine to get us through the month (when combined with reduced consumption). DW did have a coffee out and a restaurant meal at a work event, but kept it reasonable. She even borrowed a book from the library instead of buying it on Kindle -- yay!

We will be paying for DD's blowout and I think one other thing for her prom, but she will pay for anything else. Her date is picking up the ticket, so it's not unreasonable for us to pay for something.

Edit: Canceled the HBO and political subscriptions before the May payments. Asked DD to check with friend re: hiking equipment. DW said I was "not totally unreasonable, just moderately unreasonable." Progress!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:00:33 PM by Well Respected Man »

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2017, 09:09:17 AM »

$848.5 remaining.

May 6: $13 for fun

$835 remaining.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
This month is already going a bit... well, tits-up. Lots of medical spending, with labs coming do. I'm going to have to follow up on one of them too, since insurance only covered like $15 of a $300 lab bill, and I really feel like they should have covered all of it =\ Grocery spending is also staying high. Our jump rope we use in our home gym broke, so we ordered a replacement. Just a lot adding up that can't be avoided or delayed. Ugh.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2017, 12:14:39 PM »
This month is already going a bit... well, tits-up. Lots of medical spending, with labs coming do. I'm going to have to follow up on one of them too, since insurance only covered like $15 of a $300 lab bill, and I really feel like they should have covered all of it =\ Grocery spending is also staying high. Our jump rope we use in our home gym broke, so we ordered a replacement. Just a lot adding up that can't be avoided or delayed. Ugh.

Ugh, indeed. Follow-up with insurance companies is the worst. I have a bill that is probably right, but it is in code, so I have no idea if they are scamming us and the insurance company, or what. I'm going to follow up on it, though. You'll be making $285 for an hour's work, not a bad rate.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »

Ugh, indeed. Follow-up with insurance companies is the worst. I have a bill that is probably right, but it is in code, so I have no idea if they are scamming us and the insurance company, or what. I'm going to follow up on it, though. You'll be making $285 for an hour's work, not a bad rate.

Yeah, I'll definitely be following up. It just gives me a ton of anxiety to deal with all this. I am terrible at phone calls, and insurance, in particular, haha. You would think I'd be used to it since I do this stuff all the time for my patients, but nooooo. Still sucks, still makes me anxious. It doesn't help that I feel like I barely understand how insurance works. =\ I read lots of guides, but the knowledge/jargon is like water in cupped hands- it all trickles out again. So I feel like I need to do a refresher course before every phone call, and even still I end up sounding like a total idiot.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2017, 04:21:04 PM »
Well, it's been a week, and not the cheapest-ass, but could have been worse.

The good: I have bought no clothes or shoes for anyone. Yay!

I managed to only eat out once so far (on 5May, a tradition and we got cheap but delicious tortilla soup and had a blast, so I feel no guilt.) Otherwise, we have been eating in.

The bad: The shephound needs to be dewormed, which is ridiculous at our vet, but I shopped around online and found very cheap medicine. How can the exact same thing be $60 at the vet, $38 at petco, and <$17 with free shipping from online?

The ugly: DS injured his foot . . . treatment + copays were $100+. We also went to the eye doctor, and 2 of us need new prescriptions. DS got to pick out his first pair ever, which cost me $80 but they seem quite nice and he'll wear every day (thank you insurance). I do not have insurance that covers glasses for me and they wanted $450 just for putting lenses in my existing frames, so I decided to try a pair from Zenni. Frames that I think will be okay were only $10, but the lenses were $40 because I need progressives. I resisted buying more than one style. I did cave and get DS some prescription sunglasses as well, but he gave me most of the money which was all of the money he had in the world (I paid a little extra to get him polarized lenses.) The jury is still out on whether or not this will work out . . . 

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:45:05 PM by Zamboni »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »
01 - 07 MAY
Rent:            $1075
Auto Insurance:  $217.98
Patreon:         $76.92
Professional:    $71.05
Groceries:       $67.37
Gift:            $60.00
Health:          $54.95
Comcast:         $39.99
Coffee:          $4.35
====================
Week Total       $1667.61

I'm calling the first 7 days officially closed. I still have ~$140 in overhead remaining for May, plus groceries, plus whatever monstrous amount the car ends up costing. Too bad it's such an adorable little fucker, because its also an expensive little fucker. 

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2017, 09:23:18 AM »

5/5: $7.23-Chipotle (My sister is an AU on my card and uses it every now and then), $19.31-Beer for a Cinco De Mayo party we were invited to.
5/6: $9.96-Groceries (Bacon, Eggs, Creamer and Potatoes)
5/7: $75.62-Groceries (Stocked up on 2.97/lb sirloin, stocked up on a few ingredients for skillet meals), $56.09-Gas for both cars.
Total = $2,354.79.14 ( $1,913.06 if you don't count the principal part of the mortgage).

Beer was a little expensive on Cinco de Mayo because we found two 6 packs from our friends brewery in stores for the first time.  We have had many free beers from his brewery so we decided we could pay a little more than we would normally on beer to support him.  We even won a free bottle of Tequila at the party in a raffle which we will drink next weekend.  Other than that the only purchases were groceries and a charge my sister made so I'm pretty happy with our first week.  We have a lot of food so we should be able to make it through the rest of month with only minimal fruit and veggie purchases.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2017, 05:59:28 PM »
plus whatever monstrous amount the car ends up costing. Too bad it's such an adorable little fucker, because its also an expensive little fucker.

The monstrous little fucker only cost $208. Colour me astonished and delighted. 'Course, I need 4 new tires in the near future, but I can cash flow that next month.

Whoop!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2017, 06:18:28 PM »
I am joining this thread a little late due to the terrible crimes against frugality I have committed during the first week of May. I need this to keep popping up in my unread replies as a reminder! I was planning for a little extra spend because I had friends visiting, but it got out of hand. I went out and did money-spending things seven out of the last nine nights - financial highlowlights include a $90 theater ticket, a $50 bar bill, five sit-down restaurant meals and multiple taxis. :-/

I am terrible at phone calls, and insurance, in particular, haha. You would think I'd be used to it since I do this stuff all the time for my patients, but nooooo. Still sucks, still makes me anxious. It doesn't help that I feel like I barely understand how insurance works. =\ I read lots of guides, but the knowledge/jargon is like water in cupped hands- it all trickles out again. So I feel like I need to do a refresher course before every phone call, and even still I end up sounding like a total idiot.

It helps me (psychologically) to remind myself in situations like this that folks like us are way above the average consumer in terms of understanding things like medicine, finance, insurance, etc. even if we aren't experts. You're not SUPPOSED to be an insurance expert and they don't expect you to be. That's why they hire armies of customer service reps to answer your questions on the phone. No one can know everything about everything, y'know? Don't worry that you sound dumb. They probably enjoy your "I have a genuine question/am confused and will listen carefully to your answer" call way more than all of the apoplectic people calling up to scream at them or cry and beg because they can't pay for the bill they just got in the mail.

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2017, 11:30:40 AM »
I'm joining, because I need to; April was a month of me falling back into stupid old spending habits. (I'm still learning and changing my old behaviors.)

So: May!
Keep on pace to payoff credit cards by end of August
Sock away money for the big savings goal of house down payment
Make Memorial Day trip to visit friends as frugal as possible (i.e., bring snacks so I don't give airports more of my $$, I don't need souvenirs, etc.)

Over the weekend I got too excited about getting pretty green things to plant, so local nurseries reaped the benefit from my excitability. My budget, however... I'll be saving up a bit less for expected car repairs than I'd planned. I didn't add to my debt, and I'm meeting all my other savings goals, but I'm super frustrated with my lack of spending control, nonetheless.

That said, knowing I have this thread for accountability did help me quash further spending urges.  Thanks, MMM community!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2017, 07:15:15 AM »
Spending so far:
Phone:13
Medical supplies:103-will be reimbursed from FSA
Printer ink:65- cheaper in bulk, should last a long time
Electricity-172- I have vampires, need to get around to slaying them with my kill a watt
Target-52 (got 64lbs of cat food-mega sale, 2 clearance baby sheets, loaf of bread, clearance donuts, some dog chews, and an expanding file folder)

=405

Also I paid the garbage bill for the year this month $371( pay 12 months, get 13th month free)- just going to count these things in the month they come up, there is always something like this

Upcoming Known Expenses:
Mortgage 1589 (542 principal, 718 interest, 329 tax and insurance)
Spousal mystery fund:1000- he gets 500 out of each paycheck - he buys most of our groceries, household supplies, parts, gas, and oil for the cars/mower, his phone bill, other odds and ends
Internet:57
Netflix:9

=2655

Total =3431 (2889 if I don't count mortgage principal)- and that's if I don't spend any more this month

I forgot to include health insurance in my spending: $274 for the month: Family of 3, we are on the top tier plan this year due to pregnancy. Not counting FSA contribution because I will count that as spending when I use it.

Half of the mortgage, health insurance, and spousal mystery fund got paid out of my paycheck yesterday: already counted.

Also I spent $10 yesterday on tomato and pepper seedlings (I am terrible at starting seeds). While I was there I resisted buying annual flowers and a new faucet.

Revised total = 3715 (3173 without mortgage principal): I look like a big spendypants compared to most of you.

Today 5/16: I  hit modify instead of quote by mistake, hope it is not confusing
Target : $14 after coupons and rebates  (ibotta, checkout 51, mobisave) - I got 16 rolls of brand name paper towels, 16 cans of beans,  16 single serve fruit cups, and one package of baby wipes

Aldi: $20-fruit, veg, eggs, bread

I am not really sure how to count rebate apps when I track spending. Mint logs it as income when I cash out, but I prefer to think of it as decreased spending, similar to using a coupon. My husband and I get rebates for each other all the time so that messes with the totals.

. This brings my monthly spend to 3749 (3207)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:49:21 PM by MrsWolfeRN »

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2017, 07:40:00 AM »
Well, my May spending has already exceeded my total April spending already 10 days in. Thanks to an annual vet checkup, a weighted blanket purchase, and a skydiving ticket/rental car for a trip at the end of the month. These added up to $530...and I try to spend under $1300 or so with rent and everything else. Could be worse but definitely not uber frugal. At least the flights and Airbnb were paid for with Chase points so it's still going to be a cheap trip all things considered.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2017, 08:06:12 AM »
Hey buddies. Way to go! 1/3 of the way done the month!
May is turning out to be surprisingly expensive for a bunch of people. Don't look back. Figure out how to minimize damage by keeping costs down for the weeks that remain!

May 9: $50 for kid's school, $43 groceries.

$742 remaining.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2017, 08:15:26 AM »

$12 on food
May 5 $3 on food
May 6 $135 on food and party supplies. So much to carry. It is a party for 10, so in my culture, that means cooking and nibbles for 35, and included purchasing extra plastic ware to send home leftovers. Also stuff for loot bags. I love parties.
May 7 - taking 11 people bowling (one can't come to lunch). I booked it at half price, so $90.

Running total=1434 - already way above my monthly planned spending. $150 left in my monthly cushion
May 9 - $50 on my transit card = $1485. About to do laundry...and I need to load that card too. I'll do $25, bringing me to an exorbitant $1510.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
5/5: $7.23-Chipotle (My sister is an AU on my card and uses it every now and then), $19.31-Beer for a Cinco De Mayo party we were invited to.
5/6: $9.96-Groceries (Bacon, Eggs, Creamer and Potatoes)
5/7: $75.62-Groceries (Stocked up on 2.97/lb sirloin, stocked up on a few ingredients for skillet meals), $56.09-Gas for both cars.
5/9: $51.57-Walmart & Amazon (cat food, cat litter, & a cheesecloth for cauliflower pizza)
Total = $2,425.65 ($1,983.92 if you don't count the principal part of the mortgage).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2017, 01:36:59 PM »
What the hell is with me and buying bicycles during Uber Frugal month challenges? Last time I did one, I bought MY bike. Now this month, we bought my husband a bike, haha. I mean, it'll be good in the long run. Just ridiculous timing I guess.

Well, we're doing fine with the eating out and no coffee out, but we've had to buy some clothes and are still spending more on groceries than I'd like and healthcare spending is still bonkers. Sigh.

Goal this month might just be the same as last month- to have the budget balance =( I mean, we have money that comes out for retirement that isn't counted, but I still like overage!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2017, 05:26:13 AM »
I've been struggling.   I broke down and bought two shirts for work.  First clothing for me in over six months, but -- ugh.  Doing it in an uber-frugal month sucks.  And I bought a replacement camera for ours that had a bad scratch on the lens. It needed to be done, but still -- ugh.    Also -- I had temporarily forgotten that our DD has a birthday in May (oops) -- so I had neglected to factor that in to my hella cheapass month budget.   I bought her some oil paints. (Man those are expensive).   No regrets on that one, though . . . 

Food wise we are doing well.  No off-template food, and no eating out.  Though DD says she would like to pick up a pizza this weekend for her birthday dinner, so I will probably cave on that one.   She is a fantastic kid, and almost never asks for anything.   

Trying to get back on the wagon and finish out the rest of the month strong.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2017, 07:10:23 AM »
Doing OK over here, not great.

Our water heater shit the bed and we had to have the water to the entire house off due to a faulty shut-off at the water heater, so we paid whatever the first plumber who could come out and get it fixed that day wanted.  Plus he did a few other needed plumbing jobs while here,  so  that was an unplanned $2,122.  Ugh.

$296 on vet expenses for one horse; expecting another ~$100 vet bill for the horse that's out at training.

Pet food and supplies - $174 so far; probably another $50  to go for the month.

Groceries - $127; I should be able to stay under $300, but have $350 budgeted

Gas - $58 due to a 250 mile round trip to see horse at the trainer's

Other than that, I've paid utilities and an overdue car oil change. 

No spend on restaurants, entertainment or stuff so far this month.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »
AC stopped working.  After many hours of troubleshooting, DH and neighbor decided that it needs more refrigerant.  Its gonna cost ~$250-$400 for the AC guy to come and refill it (depending on how much we need).  This is happening tomorrow.  I was really excited to stay under 3K spending this month but with our current total at $2425 and still having gas, some bills, and some groceries for the month I don't think that is gonna happen.  pout.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »
Ok, I just lost this challenge. Unexpected bill of 300 makes May not so hella cheap.

Yesterday morning I left for work on time as usual, soon I notice the Battery light turn on. -"Hummm, I'll just stop by the mechanic on my lunch break". A few more miles the Heat light turns on. -"Oh oh.". I pulled over and open the hood: A kitten immediately jumped out of there, crossed the road and disappeared into the ditch. I kept inspecting the engine while it cooled down; my plan was to drive to the next gas station and add some water to the radiator... then I saw it: Another cat/kitten got trapped in the belt. It was obviously dead, and his carcass was jamming the whole think. I tried to remove it out with my ice-scrapper, but no luck.

Tow and mechanic bill: 305 (also got a oil change) ... and this folks is what an emergency fund is for.

I felt super bad about the whole thing (still do), on my way back from work I even stopped and tried to locate the surviving one but I failed.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:03:33 AM by Eporedia »

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2017, 08:11:49 PM »
Oh wow, Eporedia. That is terrible.

By the power vested in me as the OP of this challenge I declare you not a cheapass May failure.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2017, 03:45:08 AM »
Another cat/kitten got trapped in the belt. It was obviously dead, and his carcass was jamming the whole think. I tried to remove it out with my ice-scrapper, but no luck.

So sorry, Eporedia. That is awful.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2017, 08:07:47 AM »

Snacky and Trifele: thank you for the kind words.

As for the challenge itself I should not complain - I see others that had bigger unexpected bills, such as Horsepoor and Marielle.

Today before leaving I opened the hood and looked around - just in case.

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2017, 08:34:08 AM »
Ok, I just lost this challenge. Unexpected bill of 300 makes May not so hella cheap.

Yesterday morning I left for work on time as usual, soon I notice the Battery light turn on. -"Hummm, I'll just stop by the mechanic on my lunch break". A few more miles the Heat light turns on. -"Oh oh.". I pulled over and open the hood: A kitten immediately jumped out of there, crossed the road and disappeared into the ditch. I kept inspecting the engine while it cooled down; my plan was to drive to the next gas station and add some water to the radiator... then I saw it: Another cat/kitten got trapped in the belt. It was obviously dead, and his carcass was jamming the whole think. I tried to remove it out with my ice-scrapper, but no luck.

Tow and mechanic bill: 305 (also got a oil change) ... and this folks is what an emergency fund is for.

I felt super bad about the whole thing (still do), on my way back from work I even stopped and tried to locate the surviving one but I failed.

Oh, that's awful. I'm so sorry.

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2017, 08:37:17 AM »
I've had some undisciplined spending this month (I should never walk into a plant nursery and expect to only buy the one thing I came for)...but I've also kicked ass on not eating out. It's been leftovers and homemade food far more often, and my "restaurants" budget is in good shape. Unsurprisingly, I've also lost a smidge of weight the past couple of weeks because I've cut back on the restaurant food.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2017, 07:33:13 PM »

$12 on food
May 5 $3 on food

May 9 - $50 on my transit card = $1485. About to do laundry...and I need to load that card too. I'll do $25, bringing me to an exorbitant $1510.
$7 Thursday on witchy teas (but if I'd bought in bags, like I normally do, it would be $20 or more)
$7 on medical expenses today.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2017, 08:34:49 PM »
look away, friends. I'm sucking at this.

May 9: $50 for kid's school, $43 groceries.
May 11: $29 household stuff, $110 shoes. Impulse purchase. I suck.
May 12: $16 took kids to see guardians of the galaxy. So fun!

$587 remaining. Tomorrow I will spend again. Train wreck happening.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2017, 08:38:58 AM »
So far so good - no surprises - no dining out or other shopping by me - Mr. R. is the original Mustachian so he is never a threat to our budget.

Been harvesting the garden's bounty, (tomatoes, peppers, herbs) making sauces, soups, salsas or just chopping fresh pepper and sticking it in the freezer. Easy-tasty and feels good to grow my own.
Didn't tackle the mints yet for tea - I want to experiment in small batches mixing different flavor mints. My Lemon Verbena is doing so well, I want it to grow more while I check the internet to see if I can freeze it whole? and see what else I could use it for besides fish and pork and tea.

Considering putting a couple of items up on Craig's list for sale.
Need to get to work on my side gigs, but I'm not really too motivated.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2017, 09:41:12 AM »

Snacky and Trifele: thank you for the kind words.

As for the challenge itself I should not complain - I see others that had bigger unexpected bills, such as Horsepoor and Marielle.

Today before leaving I opened the hood and looked around - just in case.

Sorry about the kittens, how terrible. :(

Yeah, unexpected expenses like that aren't cause to bow out, but rather should be motivation to buckle down harder on the things you can control to help mitigate the damage.

I indulged in a trip to WholePaycheck yesterday since I was downtown for a work meeting, but managed to keep the purchases fairly reasonable.  Came home and made a huge pot of soup using lentils and home-canned tomatoes and soup base, and made garlic bread to go with it out of leftover hoagie rolls.  Currently at $180/$350 for groceries.

FIreSurfer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2017, 05:00:45 PM »
Oh dear-
I have a friend with a cat named Schroedinger.  Similar situation - friend figured it out while on the highway, didn't know if the kitten was going to make it until he could pull over.  Kitten made through with a scare, and my friend got a pet and a great nerdy story to tell.

Just sent my wife the MINT update, which reminded me of this thread so update as of halfway:
Groceries: $110 of $280
Restaurants: $109 of $240

Besides an unexpected $30 for allergy meds for my sneezy wife, we are on track......and that's including an early Mother's Day Dinner Out!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!