Author Topic: Hella cheap-ass May!  (Read 23327 times)

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
Hella cheap-ass May!
« on: April 24, 2017, 06:31:48 AM »
Starting the gauntlet thread because I need one. Who is with me?

The rules:
1 be mindful and careful with every dollar
2 spend less
3 don't let money make you miserable or stressed

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
Re: Hella cheap-ass May!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 06:40:40 AM »
In April I:

-Bought an amazing new house
-Had the whole new house re-wired to make it not a death trap
-Moved to said house
-Fixed up many small things in the new house
-Paid off the last of the mortgage on the old house
-Fixed up the old house
-Rented out the old house
-Lived with my long-term, disabling illness that prevents me from working or doing much of anything
-Fed my kids far too much take-out to get us through that crazy month

I used up all of my savings and put several thousands on my HELOC. It was worth it because of the new income stream from the old house, but I am in the hole and I hate that. So May needs to be incredibly cheap. Eating almost entirely from the freezer, not going out, considering each purchase very carefully.
This gauntlet will keep me accountable and aware.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:04:29 AM »
I tried to do Uber Frugal April and stuff happened (fridge died) and it didn't feel very frugal. So, I will try again! I need to chill on the spending because I am going on a much needed vacation in July. Here are my guidelines:

no alcohol
minimal restaurants; suggest other options for hanging out with friends
no coffee/snack purchases at work
move money saved to travel fund so it doesn't melt away mysteriously in June

Good luck to us!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 02:43:33 PM »
I think I should join because I am having a spendy April - Hubs works all the time during tax season and I buy stuff when he is not around.  And I am planning all kinds of reno projects because I have no one to talk to and that is what I do.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »
Oh god yes I need this. Maybe things will feel less tight once husband actually gets his raise, and we get a full paycheck (he gets paid once monthly) be we switched most of my earnings to going to my 401k. That, plus doctor's expenses, and grocery spending creeping up (doing some food eliminations to check for sensitivities has inched up the bill) mean that I'll be lucky if April ends as a net zero month for the checking account.

Foreseeable challenges:
-Bills of unknown cost for various lab tests may come in
-Additional doctor's visits, and possibly associated meds
-Possibly another Vet trip for the dog

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 03:01:01 PM »
Yay! I logged on to start this thread and now I don't have to...we need a super frugal May badly! Thank you snacky!

The Good
1. May is a 3 paycheck month for us so we should be able to get back on track.
2. We still have zero credit card debt! (a record for us after paying off last fall)
3. Our deer damaged car has been fixed.
4. Tax sinking fund (due in December) is fully funded (paying 1/12th in per month so no more fall surprises).

The Bad
1. Our recent trip to a meeting in Europe was fantastic and somewhat frugal but we're $500 in the hole from it (or will be once we get the reimbursement).
2. Our homeschool sinking fund is behind (won't need money until July so we have a bit to catch up!).
3. AC is out in other vehicle. May be able to fix it under warranty.

May Goals
1. No restaurants! We really need to get through a month without eating out (for morale if nothing else). This will require a lot of pre-planning for days we are in town during meal times.
2. Under $600 for groceries ($100 under budget). Stretch goal: under $500. Super stretch: $400 or under. Must not be artificially low due to deferred spending.
3. No miscellaneous spending. Exceptions might be granted for: kid shorts (need to inventory to see if we can get by), running shoes for me (might defer until June or July...not critical yet), and/or kid shoes (if they outgrow their sandals).
4. Keep the AC off as long as possible. This is key to us not getting way off over the summer. Our electric rates will double from May 15 until September 15.

I can't think of anything else right now but would like to come up with other ideas how to squeeze a bit more savings out of our May budget.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 05:07:53 PM »
I'm in. Only exception is possibly moving forward on bathroom remodel issues due to ancient tiles (cracked) and likely cracked shower pan.

In particular I won't buy:
More clothes
Restaurant meals
Gifts (make anything that I need to gift)

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 07:52:32 PM »
So in. We are spending a lot on some desperately needed renovations and tree work that I can't do myself, and so everything else needs to be a bare minimum. I'm bringing down the hammer for a couple of months, and the rest of the family knows it. Mongoose, thanks for the reminder about the 3-paycheck month; I think June will be my first one since we switched. Then again, maybe we switched last year, I don't remember. Anyway, that will make things a little better, cash flow-wise.

Goals:
$500 groceries
Reduce at least my share of alcohol spend by half
$0 clothing
$0 coffee shops, fast food, restaurants
$0 other house projects
$0 yard work/landscaping (already should have everything I need)
$0 garden (won't be around to take care of it in July, so just lettuce this year)
Use existing Amazon/MC gift cards for any absolutely necessary purchases
Sell some stuff on eBay
Cash in change jar
Cash out Paypal, UPromise, iBotta money
Re-deposit poker cash

Going through Mint to look for any categories I missed
Cancel HBO Now
$0 books
$0 craft supplies
Cancel DS Spotify account
$0 nails, massages, etc.
Cancel recurring political donation
$100 fitness equipment (required for DD hiking trip)

We'll see how it goes.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 06:12:41 AM »
First grocery spend: $30.71

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 04:42:12 PM »
Love the name!!!!!

I want to clean out and defrost our chest freezer soon so I am trying to get DH to buy fewer groceries. That is an uphill battle. I want to get him to at least try to do a pantry/freezer challenge with me (only buy produce and milk for one month).

Also all of my garden spending is done for the year except for $10 or so in seedlings (tomatoes and peppers). I will wait on these until later in May so I don't have frost kill them all like last year.

I might go ahead and snag some used summer maternity clothes if I can find some decent ones cheap. This makes more sense than waiting until I need them and having to buy new. This is also the time to browse yard sales for clothes for DS.

We have one trip planned to visit relatives mid May. I plan to pack a picnic for the way there instead of eating fast food. We will probably still get fast food on the way back though.  We might also eat at restaurants once or twice while we are there. The gas will be the biggest expense.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 05:44:53 PM »
I'm in!  April was a total bloodbath of spending for us, including a car, so we need a really cheeep month to get back on track.  Our challenges will be:  Grocery spending.  I'm just finishing up the Whole30, and let me tell you that is an expensive way to eat!  We need to dial down the grocery spend big time.  Will aim for no restaurant eating either.   We spent nothing on clothes or shoes January through March, but then this week I had to buy a pair of kids shoes.  Looking for another zero spend month in May for clothes. 

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 07:56:52 AM »
I'm in! We tried to do a spending fast in April and failed miserably, because everything died: Computer broke down, we had to replace the washing machine, we had to make some repairs on our car, etc. etc. So yeah, basically we saved nothing in April. On the upside: we also didn't touch our previous savings to replace/repair those things.

For this month we have 2k  left and I want to make those last. Will be a bit of a challenge, because we need more than 60% of that for rent, insurance, gas, etc. And after that we still have to buy food. To make things more interesting, we have some social events this month as well. So... we'll see how that goes.
The goal:

- No eating out in May
- 60 euro grocery budget per week
- Not buying anything, apart from groceries. So: no magazines, no knickknacks, no decorations, no books, no nothing.

I'll try real hard to not touch our savings this month! Extra interesting, at the end of May we get all sorts of bonuses (extra yearly paycheck, which is like an extra salary. Tax refund. etc.) We could make a huge step forward with our savings, if we make it on those 2000 euros in May.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 08:13:50 AM »
I'll join, but it'll be tough because I'm going out of the country at the end of May. Already paid with credit card points but we will still eat out and such...

April was actually pretty good, should be under $1350 at the end of the month for rent and everything. Could have been a lot less, I did pay for a year of contact lenses and a 5 year membership for eye exams at America's best.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 03:42:59 PM »

I'm in! April was expensive with a couple trips, trying to make up for it in May. Goal: No eating out at all - Zero dollars. I'll get going by doing some food-prep this weekend, and i'll try to make a couple small lasagnas to be used as well. It should be doable.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 03:48:52 PM »
April was our most expensive month this year so far so we need a super, hella cheap-ass May.
Goal is to try and get all non-required spending as close to zero as possible.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 03:49:38 PM »
Possibly. April was pretty expensive.

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 03:55:27 AM »
Subbing. Need to do this!

pattycakepdx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »
I need to join this too! My husband and I planned on Uber Frugal April, but it just completely got away from us and it's been our most expensive month of the year so far. If we really reign it in for May and June, we should be able to throw some extra money at his students loans and hopefully knock one of them out completely in June (originally it seemed like this would be happen in August)!

Hopefully we can keep on better track for May!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 05:21:06 AM »
I'm in, April was super spendy for me and it was mostly me going over the budget unnecessarily.

I start my May on April 23rd because I follow my CC statement month - one week in and I am doing excellent!

I'm hoping to cut down on my regular budget this month and actually end up with a bit of a surplus i can redirect to some house and yard improvements I need to make.  I also need a haircut this month which will add a bit to my expenses.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:04:46 PM by LindseyC »

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 06:04:45 AM »
In! I dropped off the face of the April thread due to overspending by a few hundred on my U.K. travels. This was more of a budgeting issue than a spending issue because I just failed to account for all the little expenses that creep in (like entry fees). I'm traveling in late June again so I need this month.

Goals:
- No eating out (easy)
- 50 per week groceries
- No Amazon randoms (excluding planned vitamin purchase)
- No clothing (tricky with summer coming, and disliking all my dresses)

Total Spend Goal: (excluding rent and bus pass and student loans): $400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 06:24:55 AM »
In preparation for my financial diet I'm taking the car for an oil change today. If I wait until next week I'll have to count it as Aril spending. Strategic!

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 06:40:17 AM »
I'm planning to go on a wanton shopping adventure this weekend. May goals are to take all the money I've been spending on con ed, and not spend it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 07:54:17 AM »
I just posted my horse-related shopping confessions in the April thread.  So yeah, spending >> income for April.  Boo.

I have some work travel the second half of the month, but should be able to bring a cooler of food and minimize eating out. 

Vehicles need oil changes, and I'll probably do two riding lessons. 

WinterSkies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »
I'm in to give this a try. April turned very spendy for us, as we had to replace a vehicle (had an insurance pay-out on the old one ), and decided to upgrade a little bit in the process.  Got a great deal, but still are out a lot more money than we planned.  I'd like to rein in spending for May to try and make some of that up!

Goals:
- lower alcohol spending (DH has an expensive craft beer habit, so I may just give up my budget entirely this month)
- lower grocery spending (still amazed that we spend over $800/month on 2 adults and 2 preschoolers)
- only 1 eating out "treat."  Sometimes we get lazy, but we set ourselves a goal of once/month, so I want to stick to it
- House stuff: only spend on things we really need (e.g. materials for fence, composter).  No random stuff/furniture purchases (DH is addicted to Ikea).

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 09:21:14 AM »
Goals:
- lower alcohol spending (DH has an expensive craft beer habit, so I may just give up my budget entirely this month)
- lower grocery spending (still amazed that we spend over $800/month on 2 adults and 2 preschoolers)
- only 1 eating out "treat."  Sometimes we get lazy, but we set ourselves a goal of once/month, so I want to stick to it
- House stuff: only spend on things we really need (e.g. materials for fence, composter).  No random stuff/furniture purchases (DH is addicted to Ikea).

I get the impression from this post that you don't have a spending problem, per se, as a lack of shared goals/being on the same spending priorities page problem. I know from experience that getting your finances in order and trying to do it all yourself when you are part of a two-person team is counter productive at best and causes a lot of resentment.

Instead of you sacrificing things to artificially lower the overall spend, or to compensate for husband's spending, is there a way you could focus more on getting on the same page together this month?

Seems like there is a lot of room in the grocery budget as well (Speaking as a fellow Canuck) Good luck!

WinterSkies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 09:35:02 AM »

I get the impression from this post that you don't have a spending problem, per se, as a lack of shared goals/being on the same spending priorities page problem. I know from experience that getting your finances in order and trying to do it all yourself when you are part of a two-person team is counter productive at best and causes a lot of resentment.

Instead of you sacrificing things to artificially lower the overall spend, or to compensate for husband's spending, is there a way you could focus more on getting on the same page together this month?

Seems like there is a lot of room in the grocery budget as well (Speaking as a fellow Canuck) Good luck!

Not a huge spending problem, I agree.  DH is a little less committed to mustachian ideals, but we're both on the same page for the most part.  I hesitate to ask him to cut his beer budget too much as he really doesn't spend much on anything else.  As for Ikea, he seems to think that having more office furniture will make us more organized.  I think we just have too much stuff.  So, there's that to work out between us :)

The groceries are tough!  I will add that diapers are included in that total (day care unfortunately won't do cloth).  Thankfully, the wee girl is 2.5, so we're very close to the end of that cost.  We eat well, but not in a fancypants way.  It's crazy.  I only started tracking expenses in January, so it was a huge surprise to me.. though living in the frozen prairies means you only have so many options for fruit and veg 8 months of the year!

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
Winterskies, have you looked at making a composter out of pallets? There are good online directions and it's free!

I live in your general vicinity, it looks like, and have been averaging$10/ day for groceries for three people. No diapers, though. I bet you can get the grocery costs down.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »
So in! March was ugly and April was a bit better but need to give the spending a reboot.  Need to get DH on board.  He's usually up for it but I have to get him engaged early, he takes the lead from me on eating out etc. Eating out is one of our huge variable categories and I do most of the cooking and shopping so if that doesn't happen, we eat out! 

Goal: Only one restaurant meal this month...date night!
I do need to get all my garden plants but I love my veggies so I am just going to buy the actual quantities I need, not overbuy and give away like most years.

WinterSkies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 11:08:32 AM »
Winterskies, have you looked at making a composter out of pallets? There are good online directions and it's free!

I live in your general vicinity, it looks like, and have been averaging$10/ day for groceries for three people. No diapers, though. I bet you can get the grocery costs down.

I'm hesitant to use pallets, due to contamination issues (don't know what's been stored on them/leaked onto them).  That being said, we're going to build the composter ourselves using new material, so while it won't be free, it's certainly less costly than one of those plastic ones :) 

The grocery costs are the big challenge - you're right, we can do it.  I just need a plan for how.  Once we get our gardens put in and producing, it will help.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 12:00:42 PM »

I'm hesitant to use pallets, due to contamination issues (don't know what's been stored on them/leaked onto them).  That being said, we're going to build the composter ourselves using new material, so while it won't be free, it's certainly less costly than one of those plastic ones :) 

The grocery costs are the big challenge - you're right, we can do it.  I just need a plan for how.  Once we get our gardens put in and producing, it will help.

Do you want a ton of helpful links? Heck, I'll just post them now, in case anyone else can use them. These are all things I've found useful on the grocery front. We went from $1500/mon food spending 2 years ago, to about 500/month now.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/i-need-help-from-fellow-frugal-healthy-eaters-groceries-are-killing-us!/
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/the-ultimate-mustachian-food-guide/
http://www.budgetbytes.com/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/29/killing-your-1000-grocery-bill/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/08/23/grocery-shopping-with-your-middle-finger/
http://www.frugalwoods.com/2014/04/26/frugalize-your-groceries/
http://www.frugalwoods.com/2015/07/20/six-things-we-never-buy-at-the-grocery-store/
http://www.frugalwoods.com/2017/01/18/our-complete-guide-to-frugal-healthy-eating/

WinterSkies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 03:34:28 PM »
Thank you for posting the links!  I will have to digest all of the info over the weekend :)   

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »
Thank you for posting the links!  I will have to digest all of the info over the weekend :)   

It's been 2 years and I'm STILL digesting, haha. Come to think of it, I should look over all the links again =P

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2017, 06:01:07 AM »
April was the first month we managed a 50 % savings rate, and it was not a particular frugal month. There are several large bills scheduled for May (taxes owed from last year, and some online clothes purchases), so unless we tighten the belts, next month will not leave much surplus for the savings accounts.

May is filled with national holidays, ice cream, eating out, and travelling to see family and friends. Still, it should be possible to do all that on a budget.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2017, 09:10:33 AM »
I'm in . . . I decided to take the first part of the year off from tracking expenses. Don't think I went too overboard, but I need to get back to tracking.

I went to a festival this weekend and bought a couple of things I don't really need in the name of supporting the arts. That's the grand finale for April . . . onto cheap ass May!

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »
I'm in too! We will write down _every_ expense this month, as we will update our budgets. Challenge this month: need to repair exhaust pipe on car (argh I hate combustion engines). Positive note: There will be serious eBay activity to get rid of stuff.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2017, 01:49:50 PM »
April went great, but I'm still trying to establish a realistic baseline. I was waaay under for groceries, but I don't think it's sustainable--especially with farmers markets opening up in May.

Spending limits
Groceries: $150
Office food: $25
Starbucks: $10
Eating out/snacks: $30
Supplies: $20
Other: $110

Additional:
Don't by crap for the cat other than food. She has enough toys she doesn't play with and enough treats for years.
Don't buy anything that isn't a replacement.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »
Ok, I'm ready to tackle May!  The first 4 months of the year, I've managed to stay under my $2000 budget.  I'd like to continue that this month, despite having a few yearly bills come up.  (This month = renter's insurance.)

My goals for May:

- no eating out alone (exception = potential celebration outing if I end up getting the raise I asked for)
- really double down on eating from the pantry (and especially the freezer) to get things cleared out before summer produce starts up again
- continue being thoughtful about any other purchases

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2017, 05:32:41 PM »
Here go's May!

My goal is to spend nothing above my standard overhead, plus the necessity of groceries. Here's the blank tracker:

01 - 07 MAY
Rent:            $xx
Auto Insurance:  $xx
Charity 1:       $xx
Patreon:         $xx
Comcast:         $xx
====================
Week Total       $XX

08 - 14 MAY
Audible:         $xx
====================
Week Total       $XX

15 - 21 MAY
Gym:             $xx
Charity 2 & 3:   $xx
====================
Week Total       $XX

22 - 28 MAY
AT&T:            $xx
Charity 4, 5, 6: $xx
Hulu:            $xx
====================
Week Total       $XX

29 - 31 MAY
no overhead
====================
Week Total       $XX

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 08:05:29 AM »
Welp, I already failed. I panic bought a carry-on sized luggage because I'm going out of the country this month!! I have not been out of the country for 18 years.

I have never actually purchased luggage of any kind (not even a duffel bag!) but that still doesn't justify me spending $52 on something brand new when Goodwill has plenty of sets (though ugly and old fashioned). But it's time to stop borrowing people's suitcases every year. At least I won't need another for 10 years or more.

Total:

May 1: Rent $515
           Uber $6.58 (friend missed her train and it was my fault so I had to get her back to my place until we rebooked something)
           Luggage $52.53

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 08:17:19 AM »
Yep, let's kick this thing off! We nearly failed on impulse purchases last night when we went to pick up a pick up a prescription for me and found a local pinot on sale ($4 off!). We had it in hand, but the lines were insanely long (we couldn't buy it at the pharmacy counter, but had already paid for the med). So we put it down and left.

Spending so far:
5/1
Mortgage payment, Charitable contribution, Husband's jui jitsu fee all came out on the first and are fixed
Health spending: $70 doctor co-pay, $13.50 pharmacy, $19.95 on amazon for purchase related to these
Gas: $20.32 to commuter car

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 09:31:53 AM »
I'm joining, because I need to; April was a month of me falling back into stupid old spending habits. (I'm still learning and changing my old behaviors.)

So: May!
Keep on pace to payoff credit cards by end of August
Sock away money for the big savings goal of house down payment
Make Memorial Day trip to visit friends as frugal as possible (i.e., bring snacks so I don't give airports more of my $$, I don't need souvenirs, etc.)

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »
One day down and $0 spent! I have to get groceries today so going to go into that with a meal plan for the week to keep things under control.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2017, 11:29:08 AM »
Just refining my personal goals for this cheap ass month:

- $0 for off-plan food (not on the weekly shopping list)
- $0 eating out
- $0 clothes
- No driving other than to work or kids' activities
- Will allow $45 for one family trip to a baseball game.  Baseball has to come first.  :)

1.5 days down and so far, so good.  Nothing spent. 

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »
First grocery spend: $30.71

Second grocery spend last week got us to $149. I need some things again today...restock some staples plus milk and veggies.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2017, 12:35:16 PM »
Yesterday I spent $1050* on the mortgage, property taxes, student loan, etc.
Today I spent$20 on groceries and household stuff. I have $930 left for the month.

*$1050 almost to the penny, which pleased my cold, numbers-loving heart.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2017, 01:05:15 PM »
Yesterday I spent 1020+139 on rent and health insurance
Today I spent $19.30 on food. I also paid some bills, but that is last month's spending, and online money, so doesn't count.

FIreSurfer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2017, 04:12:20 PM »
I'm all in!!
April went over with little brother's prom outfit (kids these days!) and too many family birthday dinners out (can't let one's mother pay for her own birthday dinner!!!)

Goals:
ACTUALLY keep to the grocery budget ($280 per month/2 people/but in New York City......)
ACTUALLY keep to the restaurant budget......
ACTUALLY not let money stress me out......(good call OP!!)

IF we can do this and nothing else comes up.....I calculate I can put an extra(!) $500 in the FIRE Vanguard account this month.....

LET THE CHEAP ASS GAMES BEGIN!! 

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2017, 05:03:22 PM »
In again, because April wasn't as good as I hoped.

Goals:

1) Eliminate eating out at night for convenience
  - I need to plan dinners MUCH more efficiently for this to happen
2) Sell things that need to be gotten rid of
  - Right now we have an older BOB stroller that didn't fit our carseat (so we bought a new one instead, to my everlasting shame) and a ring that I've had literally for 15 years and never worn.  Doesn't sell on Craigslist, so I'll have to be brave and find a pawn shop to get any money at all.
3) Keep our grocery bill under $400 (budgeted $450)
  - This could be difficult because we have family coming in for sis-in-law's undergrad graduation, and because baby turns 1 on June 3, and we'll probably have a BBQ that we'll need to buy food for. 
  - Strategy: moar veggies, less meat.  We need to eat more vegetables anyway, and we have some leftover roasts in the freezer from a quarter cow we bought last year.
4) Don't buy any more clothes for myself!
  - I'm still trying to get back in shape from baby.  MOST of my clothes fit, but I've lost a lot of muscle due to disuse, so they don't fit the same, or as well, as they used to.
  - Solution: Work out and build up those quads!  Yay!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2017, 06:45:09 PM »
Second grocery spend last week got us to $149. I need some things again today...restock some staples plus milk and veggies.

Restocked the pantry...obtained milk and veggies and yogurt and eggs. Should be good for a week at least on everything. Spent $111... Part of this is because I'm buying replacements for staples as we use them. $11 however was a totally unnecessary premade gluten free chocolate layer cake. It was the only impulse buy at least.

Total grocery spend: $260
Grocery budget: $700

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2017, 08:59:03 PM »
I'm in! Thanks for the thread. I had a spendy April! Groceries for holiday guests and restaurant meals with same; attended a pricy charitable event; bought shoes and a purse (practical ones, on sale, that will last a long time -- but still, $$$) and a whack of home maintenance. I'm planning to travel in July so it's time for Hella Cheap-Ass May and June!!

I haven't got much of a plan, other than trying to be focused and diligent, but here's what I have so far:
No restaurant meals
Eat what's in the house
     Food in the freezer, dried beans, home-made bread, etc.
Don't buy stuff!