Author Topic: Healthy Choices 2020  (Read 18551 times)

PacificaFog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Healthy Choices 2020
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2020, 08:46:05 PM »
Regarding meditation apps - try Insight Timer.   There are thousands of free guided meditations. I just do a search for what I’m looking for - like “morning wake-up” or “anxiety” and then try several until I find one I like.  It’s great and very user friendly for beginners.  You can upgrade for courses and such, but I haven’t needed to yet.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2020, 12:07:24 AM »
Insight Timer is an excellent free app for meditation.

I have overarching health and fitness goals for 2020, but two specific ones that I hope will help are to mindfully, intentionally increase soluble fiber in my diet.  The other is to engage a personal trainer to help set up and stick to a well-rounded fitness regimen.

I think if I consistently do these two things I can impact my health positively.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2020, 09:43:55 AM »
I've gone to bed at 9:30pm every night this past week! That's probably the first time ever.
It's good timing too, because my toddler is waking up at 4-4:30am with teething. I'm not dragging through my day despite the early wakeups. I feel pretty good.

I also flossed 2x daily the whole week and put sunscreen on my hands whenever I was in the car, simply because I put the floss by my toothbrush and the sunscreen in the car.

I will continue to wash my face before reading in the evening and get my side hustle done before anything else. And check in here anytime I go to bed (or try to talk myself into going to bed) later than 9:30pm. I'll also do periodic progress updates.

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2020, 08:33:29 AM »
I'm in.

I don't like to set up too many goals at a time, so here is my breakdown of current and potential future goals.

Currently:

• meditate daily (I just started using the Ten Percent Happier app and love it. The podcast is excellent too.)
• cut out alcohol completely. I have joined the Give Up Hooch thread here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/give-up-the-hooch-booze-free-for-as-long-as-you-please!
• sleep better. My main reason for giving up alcohol is to test out if it was affecting my sleep and anxiety levels. I have always been an anxious person and as a mild drinker I think it may have exacerbated the issue.
• more weightlifting and yoga - 3-4x a week

Future goals:

• experiment with cutting coffee (for now I am down to 1 strong cup/day)
• experiment with cutting sugar
• learn how to bake gluten free (especially sourdough)
• learn how to make bitters and alcohol free herbal tonics
• experiment with fermented drinks like kombucha and shrubs

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2020, 08:50:08 AM »
I have now done 3 workouts - I am walking barefoot on our treadmill while watching netflix.  Monday Wednesday and Friday.  I don't want to over do it and get my knees all sore.  I also have issues with bones in my toes.  I have found being barefoot allows my feet to totally spread out and get tired.  Hopefully before my knees get hurt.  I am doing forty minutes at a faster than comfortable walking pace until the last 15 minutes.  I am perspiring and winded by the end.  It takes me about 20 minutes to get my breath back.

I am also making some music every day and almost every day I have painted or done some sort of art making.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2020, 11:19:44 AM »
Welcome, @Mmm_Donuts! I love spacing out your goals. Once something becomes a habit, it will take up a lot less real estate in your brain and make room for other things.

@Frugal Lizard, that sounds great! Love that you're thinking about injury prevention and making time for creativity, too!

@Luz, awesome job on the sleep! It's much easier now that my kids are older but I still find that going to bed early is great insurance against them getting up early and stomping around.

I've been doing pretty well at getting to bed close to 10 and spending some time reading a hard-copy book before bed (helps me wind down).

Tried meditating but setting aside the time was doing more harm than good, so I think I'm gonna drop it. I have almost-daily walks and bike rides that offer time to reflect in a way that maybe works better for me anyway.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2020, 12:03:31 PM »
Had a good talk with DH this week about why we were having so much trouble keeping the screens-off time and lights-out time we had picked (I actually had him pick the times, in the hope of more buy-in).  I was frequently closing my computer and switching to a book well before him, and having to remind him when he tried to show me something that it was past screens-off time.  Same for lights-out, I would get up from reading 15-20 mins before and get ready for bed, get a glass of water, set up things for morning, and come to bed, only to have to remind him that it is lights out time and then he would want to finish the chapter before going and getting ready, and we actually go to bed half an hour after the proper time.

After the chat, we agreed that it isn't working for him to go to bed the same time every day, but it is working for me (I feel much more rested now than before we started), so we are moving the evening computer and reading time downstairs.  It is not as comfortable or warm, but this way I can keep track of time and go to bed when I need to, without nagging or interrupting his flow.  We'll try this for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2020, 01:09:52 PM »
The last few nights I've waited to do my wash face/brush teeth routine until the last thing before I go to bed. I've still turned in at 9:30pm, but it takes much more motivation and I don't like to count on motivation alone because it's inconsistent. So I'm going to focus on doing the routine before reading the next few nights.

@La Bibliotecaria Feroz, I've never had the discipline to meditate in the traditional sense, but writing is my way to empty my mind/get centered. And then once my mind is empty, I try to list things I'm grateful for that fill my mind in a good way. I read an article on WebMD that listed the following as further ways to quiet one's mind: breathe, exercise, listen to music, get out in nature, hang out with a pet, garden, and do a creative activity like color/knit/throw pottery/cook, among other things. I thought it was a really practical and doable list.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2020, 06:20:32 AM »
Had a good talk with DH this week about why we were having so much trouble keeping the screens-off time and lights-out time we had picked (I actually had him pick the times, in the hope of more buy-in).  I was frequently closing my computer and switching to a book well before him, and having to remind him when he tried to show me something that it was past screens-off time.  Same for lights-out, I would get up from reading 15-20 mins before and get ready for bed, get a glass of water, set up things for morning, and come to bed, only to have to remind him that it is lights out time and then he would want to finish the chapter before going and getting ready, and we actually go to bed half an hour after the proper time.

After the chat, we agreed that it isn't working for him to go to bed the same time every day, but it is working for me (I feel much more rested now than before we started), so we are moving the evening computer and reading time downstairs.  It is not as comfortable or warm, but this way I can keep track of time and go to bed when I need to, without nagging or interrupting his flow.  We'll try this for a few weeks and see how it goes.

My DH often wants to stay up longer than I do. Then I just go to bed before him and when he comes, he tries to be really quiet. That works well most of the time, especially when I have managed to fall asleep when he comes.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2020, 08:20:13 AM »
This year is “eliminate deep fried foods and reduce sugar”.   Now almost 30 days into it and the effects are showing... more energy... digestive issues gone... lost 5lbs with no other effort.  The worst thing was giving up fried chicken and seafoods (wings, shrimp, tenders, etc)... The best thing is enjoying more superfood alternatives that help all the health numbers like BP and cholesterol... (good nuts vs chips,  no fried appetizers in restaurants, fresh tortillas vs tortilla chips at texmex).   Darned medical science was right.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2020, 10:08:23 AM »

My DH often wants to stay up longer than I do. Then I just go to bed before him and when he comes, he tries to be really quiet. That works well most of the time, especially when I have managed to fall asleep when he comes.

Yes, that way is much better.  Before, DH was reading in bed until he was tired, so I couldn't turn the lights out and go to sleep without interrupting and making him leave.  In the few days we've been reading downstairs instead, I've been going to bed before him, it works just fine, and he hasn't woken me up when he does come to bed.  Much better for both of us!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2020, 10:52:40 PM »
To reduce stress, I'm aiming to have a less packed schedule. Today I successfully moved a regular appointment from a normally busy day day to a completely open day! Now I just need to be sure not to fill that newly opened time...

Stress reduction fail!  Turned out the "open day" was actually not open and I'd double booked myself.  Oopsie.  However, it was worked out, and it also prompted me to track my calendar in a new way that might work even better.  The last week of Jan is about nailing down the Feb calendar (as much as possible). Progress, not perfection.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2020, 07:39:45 AM »
I have now done four work outs and today I am supposed to do another one but my neck and back are in so much pain.  I am going to switch to a walk outside and some stretching to see if I can't get rid of the tightness everywhere. 

I have been doing a lot of cooking and now our fridge is full of leftovers.  I love the feeling of not having to worry about food.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2020, 12:26:39 AM »
I have now done four work outs and today I am supposed to do another one but my neck and back are in so much pain.  I am going to switch to a walk outside and some stretching to see if I can't get rid of the tightness everywhere. 

I have been doing a lot of cooking and now our fridge is full of leftovers.  I love the feeling of not having to worry about food.

A lot of pain is a sign to take a break and heal first.

Could you be do8ng something wrong with the exercises? Or maybe doung them without warming up?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2020, 12:28:42 AM »
Today I started with a HIIT program. Found out that I can't do burpies the way you are supposed to. But never mind, I just crawl into the position. At least my heart rate went up a lot.

I hope that this program will improve my fitness while we don't have the weather to train outside.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2020, 12:44:47 AM »
@Linea_Norway If you want variety, you might try a tabata workout.  I found it to be fun and hard-hitting.

Operation Stress Reduction Through Obsessive Planning Of My Calendar is working well.  I had hoped to have February's schedule nailed down by now, but there are a few open questions that won't be answered until the weekend.  Once that info is available, I'll be able to decide what to do on each day.  Currently only Saturdays schedules are nailed down.

The next healthy choice will be to start my at-home physical therapy exercises again.  Hmm, this should be on the calendar!!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2020, 12:53:12 AM »
@Linea_Norway If you want variety, you might try a tabata workout.  I found it to be fun and hard-hitting.

Operation Stress Reduction Through Obsessive Planning Of My Calendar is working well.  I had hoped to have February's schedule nailed down by now, but there are a few open questions that won't be answered until the weekend.  Once that info is available, I'll be able to decide what to do on each day.  Currently only Saturdays schedules are nailed down.

The next healthy choice will be to start my at-home physical therapy exercises again.  Hmm, this should be on the calendar!!!

My HIIT program is quite diverse. If I look at Tabata exercises, I see overlap. Also the time intervals are similar. Today I did high knees for 20 sec, squats for 20 sec and sort of burpies for 20 sec, 1 minute rest and repeat twice. The rest of the program has also different exercises.

Calender planning is a good idea. I also love having a calender with a good overview of obligations/trips. It shouldn't be too crowded on the calender.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:51:17 AM by Linea_Norway »

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2020, 01:49:26 PM »
2+ weeks of going to bed at 9:30pm (one night at 9:40pm, because my partner had a few last minute things he wanted to tell me). I could probably stand to go to bed at 9pm since the toddler is up at 4am with teething. But I think 9:30pm is a more doable goal and hopefully the teething will end soon.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2020, 02:17:51 PM »
Today I started with a HIIT program. Found out that I can't do burpies the way you are supposed to. But never mind, I just crawl into the position. At least my heart rate went up a lot.

I hope that this program will improve my fitness while we don't have the weather to train outside.
Long ago and far away I started doing burpees, and I couldn't come close to a real one.

I would get down with my hands on the ground, step back one foot at a time, skip the pushup part, step back in one foot at a time, and stand up (no jump).

Still really hard.  Still a great workout!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2020, 03:20:43 PM »
Today I took the first step toward my goal to get caught up on medical appointments - I scheduled an eye exam.  They were unfortunately booked up for February, but I've got an appointment for the first week of March.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2020, 03:53:11 PM »
Today I took the first step toward my goal to get caught up on medical appointments - I scheduled an eye exam.  They were unfortunately booked up for February, but I've got an appointment for the first week of March.

Awesome job!

My husband and I are considering whether to have fertility treatment or not, so this is a super fraught time for my mental health. Trying to be chill and kind to myself.

Also, it is MY BIRTHDAY. I ate vegetables for an afternoon snack. In between also consuming like every delicious thing I can think of, including both Starbucks and hot cocoa coffee and a leftover sesame bun. It is glorious.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2020, 11:29:21 PM »
Feliz cumpleaños, Señora Feroz!

Operation: SRTOPOMC* is turning out to be more difficult than anticipated.  The trouble is deciding which of my "elective" activities to do on any given day (analysis paralysis).  Tomorrow I shall run, as I kind of miss doing that, and also inflate the tires of my bike so there is no barrier to a short bike ride.  Maybe taking it one day at a time will work better than planning out the whole month.

*Stress Reduction Through Obsessive Planning Of My Calendar

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2020, 02:21:06 AM »
Also, it is MY BIRTHDAY. I ate vegetables for an afternoon snack. In between also consuming like every delicious thing I can think of, including both Starbucks and hot cocoa coffee and a leftover sesame bun. It is glorious.
That sounds pretty delightful. Happy belated birthday!

On topic: I am struggling to keep up with my movement in the office plan. I keep forgetting. I'm currently working on a new routine for some work stuff so I think I'll have to add it in to that routine at some fixed times until it becomes a proper habit.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2020, 06:03:52 AM »

Happy birthday!  I hope you had a lovely relaxing day.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2020, 01:57:16 PM »
Happy birthday, @La Bibliotecaria Feroz!

I went to bed at 9:40pm last night and 9:35pm a few nights before.
I waited until the last thing to wash my face.
I'll be focusing again on washing my face before reading.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2020, 02:45:25 PM »
Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone!

I went to the doctor yesterday. New doc I haven't seen before. She referred me to bladder class, which is apparently a thing, and suggested I have a pneumonia vaccine because I have a touch of asthma (normally they give it at 65, and I am 39).

I let them poke me with the vaccine. Yay wellness. I have good intentions about taking the bladder class as the issue is becoming distressing to me... but whether I will or not remains to be seen!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2020, 12:39:23 AM »
Operation: SRTOPOMC* is turning out to be more difficult than anticipated.  The trouble is deciding which of my "elective" activities to do on any given day (analysis paralysis).  Tomorrow I shall run, as I kind of miss doing that, and also inflate the tires of my bike so there is no barrier to a short bike ride.  Maybe taking it one day at a time will work better than planning out the whole month.

After going back & forth with how to carry out Operation: SRTOPOMC, I've settled on a middle ground, where certain things are scheduled ahead of time and then on other days I decide on that particular day to do something, or nothing.  Seems to be working for the moment, so I'll stick to that.

The other healthy choice I've been working on is hydration.  This month my goal is to drink 8 8-oz cups (or 4 16-oz bottles) of water per day.  Have achieved that a few times, yay.  Today I found my clicking owl shaped counter, which should make it easier to track and a bit of fun, too.  Gonna keep that thing handy.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2020, 05:15:50 AM »

I went to the doctor yesterday. New doc I haven't seen before. She referred me to bladder class, which is apparently a thing, and suggested I have a pneumonia vaccine because I have a touch of asthma (normally they give it at 65, and I am 39).

I let them poke me with the vaccine. Yay wellness. I have good intentions about taking the bladder class as the issue is becoming distressing to me... but whether I will or not remains to be seen!

What's the rationale for not taking the class?

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2020, 06:45:36 AM »
I've made it almost a month and a half brushing and flossing every night, yay!  Such a simple thing, but it's satisfying to have such a long streak of success, and it's so good for me!

I was inspired by others on this thread to make myself a dermatology appointment for a baseline skin check, so thanks for that :)  It's next Wednesday.  I don't think she'll find anything worrying, but I'm glad to get it out of the way sooner rather than later.

Meditation is intermittent, but I'm working on it.  I do like it so far, so I'm glad I'm trying. 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2020, 07:12:22 AM »
So I have been to:

Dentist - two old fillings removed and new ones in.  It was a long stint in the chair - nearly 100 minutes.  My back teeth need a whack of freezing to get to numbness but this dentist was really great and totally believed me.  And the one hiccup was just as she was starting to fill, she thought she saw another crack.  And went back in with the drill and sure enough it was a crack and then that whole corner of my tooth broke off.  So the filling is way bigger. And it is the hardest place to work in my mouth.  My jaw was so sore for almost a week. But the good news is that it has been caught in time and I am good to go for a while yet.  Root canal avoided. 

Doctor - waiting for a referral to dermatologist.  Family Dr. does not like the freckle by my eye.  She is less concerned about the four on my shoulders.  I need to follow up with the dermatologist as they should have called me already.

Eye Doctor - new prescription - my readers aren't strong enough but my distance are too strong.  We talked about getting a special set of glasses for computer work.  I sit back from my screen because I use 2 - 22" for CAD work.  But then I also can't see text on my desk.  I realized last week I was getting a sore neck from looking down over my readers to see the bottom of the screen.  Apparently a specially calculated lens for my prescription can be calculated by measuring from my eye to the edges of each screen when in my typical seating position.  And then get a bifocal lens in the bottom for reading close up text.  I just have to get someone to take the measurements and call them in.  I have a nearly new old distance set of glasses with large frames so I think I am going to get new lenses for them that will live on my desk.  Hopefully this will resolve my neck and headache issues.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2020, 11:25:44 AM »

What's the rationale for not taking the class?

There is not one. It is just a question of will i get around to making it happen. I probably will. I am generally a very compliant patient. But I've been missing a lot of work for little things lately AND my grandfather just died, so it may not be immediate.

Good job @chaskavitch and @Frugal Lizard! The new glasses sound very promising.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2020, 12:11:19 AM »
Well, I thought I was finally starting to get the whole regular flossing really going well, too. I was supposed to go to the dentist for a check-up and cleaning in January but ended up cancelling because I got two big, very painful coldsores on the same lip two days before the appointment. I loathe coldsores so much. Appointment was moved to last week.

As it turns out, that was probably a good thing because two weeks ago, while flossing, I managed to do something that made it impossible to get between two teeth with the floss again. One of those teeth has a very big, very old (like probably about 30 years old) filling so I thought perhaps a piece of that had broken off. Turns out, the adjoining tooth decided it wanted a cavity and it was a piece of that tooth that had broken off. And those two teeth are beside the one the dentist has been keeping an eye on for the last couple of years anyway. So I get to go back and have three inlays done at the same time. Which is to say, Frugal Lizard, that you have my fullest sympathies. Jaw pain after long dental procedures is yucky. Anything dental is really. And the bills that come with it always just feel like adding insult to injury.

On the plus side, current me is very, very glad that past me signed up for supplementary dental insurance a few years ago.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2020, 07:23:57 AM »
@Moonwaves  Now that I am fully recovered but the memory of the searing pain suddenly shooting through my head when eating something delish is still fresh enough to determine it was worth it.  I have some dental coverage but since it is re-reimbursed, I get the full on effect immediately before leaving the office.  And then a happy surprise direct deposit to my bank account a couple of days later.

Having gone many years without dental benefits, I remain grateful for whatever....

I used the treadmill last night until my legs were jelly.  Since it is in our basement, I use it bare foot.   I decided just go by time and not do any of the programs.  I have it set pretty slow for walking but have it inclined fairly steep.  I want to be able to hike and my knees and toes and ankles are not really up to running yet.  I get sweaty and tired and need to sit down after but then I am fine.  So I think it is good enough.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2020, 03:42:24 PM »
I am sorry about the teeth, @Moonwaves and @Frugal Lizard! Such ouch!

I seem to have been very fragile this year. I have been sick/or injured what seems like almost nonstop. The new thing is an ankle injury. I have no idea what I did to it. It just started up yesterday and I didn't immediately rest it--as I should have done--and it is worse today. And I biked to work like a goofball and have to bike home.

BUT. I did take these steps:
-Wore tennis shoes to work, because no one here actually cares.
-Did not take after-lunch walk. Substituted sitting on enclosed patio. It was like 38F but very sunny, so I was warm enough in a jacket with hot coffee and no gloves (because reading).
-Elevated foot for about 20 minutes on break. We have a long bench in the breakroom and I lay down on it with my head on a sweater and my foot on a table. No one commented or asked why. We are a strange workplace.
-Had husband purchase frozen peas and Ace bandage so I can ice and compress (alternately, not at same time) when I get home.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2020, 03:30:06 PM »
I developed pneumonia at 44 and thought I was going to die. 2 weeks out of work and then gradually going to work more hours every day. Took a month to be full time. I insisted on the pneumonia shot and 20 years later got it again.  So worth it. A month ago I started to slowly lose weight and am now down 10 lbs.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2020, 08:00:01 AM »
I am sorry about the teeth, @Moonwaves and @Frugal Lizard! Such ouch!

I seem to have been very fragile this year. I have been sick/or injured what seems like almost nonstop. The new thing is an ankle injury. I have no idea what I did to it. It just started up yesterday and I didn't immediately rest it--as I should have done--and it is worse today. And I biked to work like a goofball and have to bike home.

BUT. I did take these steps:
-Wore tennis shoes to work, because no one here actually cares.
-Did not take after-lunch walk. Substituted sitting on enclosed patio. It was like 38F but very sunny, so I was warm enough in a jacket with hot coffee and no gloves (because reading).
-Elevated foot for about 20 minutes on break. We have a long bench in the breakroom and I lay down on it with my head on a sweater and my foot on a table. No one commented or asked why. We are a strange workplace.
-Had husband purchase frozen peas and Ace bandage so I can ice and compress (alternately, not at same time) when I get home.

I feel like this is one of the best parts of living in Colorado.  On Thursday or Friday, my 3.5 year old wanted to go swing in shorts, a long sleeved shirt, and cowboy boots.  I was like "dude, it's 40 degrees out, you sure?", but the sun made it AMAZING out, and he was totally fine until some clouds got in the way. 

I'm glad you got to enjoy your outdoor time, even if you didn't get to take a walk.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2020, 01:59:20 PM »
Ankle is still a little sore. Boo.

Today is the day I drank green tea after lunch instead of more coffee. I am hoping this will reduce my anxiety, help with my bladder issues, and generally be healthier, while not totally depriving me of a caffeine boost :-).

A guy came and fixed our adjustable shared workstations today! I have this desk shoved waaaay  down so that my tiny legs can reach the floor. And the other desk we'll be able to use as a standing desk again. Woo hoo!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2020, 02:58:39 PM »
Did some weights this morning! This makes it twice this week. I am *finally* recovering from Sprain #2 and feel like I can do something more than rehab exercises. I am not pushing myself for anything other than turning up right now.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2020, 11:12:06 AM »
Just left a message at the cancercare centre for a mammogram.  Ever since I turned 50 they have been sending me notices to get screened so I guess I will get that done.

Have not heard anything from the referral to a dermatologist - so I will follow up on that too!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2020, 12:03:30 PM »
In the last 10ish or so days since I posted, I've gone to bed past 9:30pm four times (9:45 x 2, 10 and 10:30). I want to make sure to check in with any times I don't go to bed early, in order to troubleshoot what's going on.

Last night I went to a play with friends and got to bed at 10:30pm.
A few nights before that I stayed up talking to my husband until 10pm. I try to spend ~30 minutes every night catching up with him. If it's the last thing I do before bed, it always goes over. He's a man of few words when it comes to most things. But anything related to his field he'll go on and on about. It's great to hear what's on his mind, but better to hear what's on his mind before 9:30pm.
The third and fourth late bedtimes were evenings when I didn't do my computer work and read for a few hours instead. Usually I do my computer stuff, wash my face, then read. But since I skipped the computer, I decided to start reading and pause halfway in order to wash up. But it was too hard to pull away. So I did my bed routine around 9:30pm, which pushed it all back a bit.

I'm fine with staying up late for an event once in awhile.
Even if I don't do my usual evening rhythm, I will make it a point to wash my face the second to last thing I do.
I'll try to also connect with my husband either right when we put the toddler to bed or right when he gets home from his evening classes. In order that there's a bit more time buffer there.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2020, 03:33:12 AM »
I was away for a long choir weekend that involved more walking than I usually do. Telling everyone there was a good chance I'd be getting taxis most of the time this year seems to have done the trick of convincing me to try walking instead. My head is such a strange place - I never know what it's going to do. I genuinely thought I'd be getting taxis most of the time. In the end, I only did that once and walked every other time (walking between concert hall and hotel and between hotel and various restaurants - so four or six 20 to 30 minute walks every day for four days). Slowly, but I did it.

I also took some anti-inflammatories on Saturday and between that and the walking and going aqua-jogging in the afternoon (so proud of myself for finding the swimming pool and doing it instead of just going back to the hotel for a lie-down), my hip is feeling so much better than it has for weeks. Definitely going to try and get go to the pool at least once more this week.

Really need to focus on healthy food this week. I keep having a good week (or two) followed by a terrible week (or two). Since I was away at the weekend, it's too easy to let it stray into being a terrible week just because I'm unorganised. So, I'm going to take some time at lunch to do quick meal plan for the rest of this week and will call in to the shops this evening on the way home from work.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2020, 09:18:48 AM »
I got on the scale this morning.  My new healthy choice is going to be to write down everything I eat for the next month.

I am getting a mammogram tomorrow.  Apparently it will take about 20 minutes.

Thursday I have an appointment with the trauma therapist I saw eight times last spring.  I am just not sure what we will be talking about.  Maybe I don't need a trauma specialist; maybe just a regular" too much grief and narcissistic family members type" counselor.  But I felt immensely better just having the appointment on my calendar.

Next week I am paying for a skin mapping with a dermatologist (175$).  Never heard back from the family doctor for a referral.  I went ahead and booked it online without a referral.

Yesterday I took all my spare glasses frames to the optician for my new prescription.  She is turning an old distance pair into a special computer glasses with a little straight bifocal for my new stronger reader prescription in the very bottom of the lens. The optometrist had me measure the distance between my eyes and my two side by side large computer screens.  Apparently this will help improve my productivity and save my neck.  They will live on my desk.  Next she is adding a bifocal lens to my sunglasses.  I could barely use them because I kept needing to read things with them.  And my distance prescription is so much less than it was when I got them made 8 years ago.  Since they are dark sunglasses, she is not going to make them progressives but instead a bifocal.  This way I can save some money and more of the lens is my exact distance prescription. Some old glasses are getting new straight reading prescription. They will live in the kitchen and dining room for cooking and reading the paper.  I also went through the discount bin and found a pair of frames for 49$ that will be fine for another set of readers that can live by the bed.  I am hoping this makes reading more enjoyable again because I am thinking of giving up Netflix, Facebook and Twitter for Lent.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2020, 12:53:41 PM »
@Moonwaves, I just got over a hip injury, too! I did a bunch of hip bridges and some side lunges as strengthening exercises, adjusted my ergonomics at work, and reset my weightlifting form and it seems to be all better. (Oh, and skipped a workout because also I had a sinus infection.) It REALLY hurt, though! So glad you are on the mend!

Today I drank 2-3 cups of coffee (one was a travel mug...) because I am working 9am to 8 pm. But other days, I have been really good about having just the morning cup when I get to work, and then green tea after lunch.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2020, 12:13:03 PM »
I have been tracking my food intake for five days now.  I have not been eating enough veg recently.
I have been to a dermatologist for skin mapping.  I have no skin cancer.  Dr. was concerned about how dry my feet are.  I now have a fancy cream and a promise that if I use this cream every night for two weeks my cracked heels will be healed and walking will not hurt so much.  He was surprised that I could actually walk on them.  I thought I was doing great this year because they haven't been bleeding.  I also have some cream for my back.  I woke up at 3:55 itchy this morning.  Today is going to be a long day but not having skin cancer beside my right eye has lifted a worry from my shoulders.
I had the mammogram last week - and whoa - does that ever hurt.  Cancer care Ontario would like me to do that every year until I am 74.  NFW.  Maybe third year.  I will talk to my family doctor about the risk factors.  But the top two risk factors - Female - check, over 50, check, I can't do anything about. 
I am hoping my glasses come in soon.  I am really noticing the difficulty reading.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2020, 12:43:26 PM »
I've made it almost a month and a half brushing and flossing every night, yay!  Such a simple thing, but it's satisfying to have such a long streak of success, and it's so good for me!

I was inspired by others on this thread to make myself a dermatology appointment for a baseline skin check, so thanks for that :)  It's next Wednesday.  I don't think she'll find anything worrying, but I'm glad to get it out of the way sooner rather than later.

Meditation is intermittent, but I'm working on it.  I do like it so far, so I'm glad I'm trying.

They removed two moles on my thigh during the appointment.  One of them came back as having some abnormal cells, so I'm scheduled next Wednesday for further excision.  I didn't get a lot of info over the phone when they called with the results, because my 3 year old was trying to tell me something.  I need to call back and get some more detail, and ask for pricing.  I have a HDHP - it cost $125 for the baseline exam, $95 each for "surgery" to remove the moles, and the biopsy rounded it up to like $450 total.  I mean, removing precancerous cells is absolutely more important than having my HSA full, but I'd still like to be prepared.

I'm still on top of flossing my teeth, woo!

I've also been trying to get at least 500g of fruits/veggies/plants a day.  That is way more difficult than I expected, but I'm trying, and it's going ok.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2020, 02:41:23 PM »
@chaskavitch, I hope it's nothing serious!

I have been wondering about my HSA, too, because apparently the market is down? I don't pay much attention but that much has infiltrated my consciousness. If I want to take some out,* I am not sure if it has to come out of the invested amount.

*I expect to be spending several thousand on fertility treatment and am not sure whether I should cash flow it or use HSA dollars--which would essentially wind up being transferred to other things.

@Frugal Lizard--does anyone eat enough vegetables?? I am trying to do better but damn, the recommendation is for a LOT of veggies! Good luck!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2020, 08:22:50 AM »
After going back & forth with how to carry out Operation: SRTOPOMC*, I've settled on a middle ground, where certain things are scheduled ahead of time and then on other days I decide on that particular day to do something, or nothing.  Seems to be working for the moment, so I'll stick to that.

The other healthy choice I've been working on is hydration.  This month my goal is to drink 8 8-oz cups (or 4 16-oz bottles) of water per day.  Have achieved that a few times, yay.  Today I found my clicking owl shaped counter, which should make it easier to track and a bit of fun, too.  Gonna keep that thing handy.

Both these things seemed to be kinda working, then I went on a 2-week road trip.  I'm here to re-commit.

And also to add a bit about mapping out food intake better.  I've been eating a small breakfast (OK), but then not being hungry & not eating for hours & hours, at which point I eat everything in sight, and not much of that is veggies. When I work in an office, it's easy to follow a more sane eating routine, so I'm going to try to emulate that at home.

Edit: Frugal Lizard, if it helps, the American Cancer Society recommends fewer mammograms:
https://www.cancer.org/healthy/find-cancer-early/cancer-screening-guidelines/american-cancer-society-guidelines-for-the-early-detection-of-cancer.html
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:27:13 AM by oneday »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2020, 09:18:04 AM »
@oneday - interesting.  Cancercare Ontario only starts recommending yearly screenings at 50.  I have been skipping them until now. (53)  I could guiltlessly switched to the US standards next year if I do the scan for my 54th birthday....Still seems like a lot squishing.  But my armpit only hurt for a day and a half.  I think I am going to work on lowering all the risk factors I can control....

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2020, 10:06:56 AM »
Lowering the risk factors within your control seems like a great strategy!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2020, 12:33:30 PM »
Vegan-ish is still working out for me, but I need to find a new breakfast because food fatigue is real. (I should probably call it WFPB because it's not from ethical reasons of animal welfare but more from lactose intolerance + climate change abatement reasons but vegan-ish is a lot fewer syllables and easier to understand)