Author Topic: Healthy Choices: 2019 edition  (Read 21036 times)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
Re: Healthy Choices: 2019 edition
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2019, 05:39:49 AM »
Yesterday afternoon I let myself take a nap and go to bed early, instead of pushing to get something done around the house.  May do the same tonight if this headache doesn't subside by then.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2019, 08:07:26 AM »
Sleep is still a work in progress. The last two weeks, I've been doing much better at getting ready for bed at the prescribed time and getting into bed soon after. It feels like a treat to be in bed early enough to read a little before I go to sleep. The only drawback is I'm about as good at putting the book down as I am about putting the phone down....But I've been consistently getting 7-7.5 hours of sleep on work nights which is frankly a miracle for me.

While I do celebrate that progress, it's still not where I need to be. Yesterday I forgot to set my alarm. I woke up 3 hours after I was supposed to, and only because my wife woke me up wondering why I was still home (she's on a later schedule than I am). Good thing my job is flexible!! Obviously my body is telling me I'm still not getting enough sleep.

Yesterday I felt well rested but groggy, and couldn't fall asleep very well last night. So now I'm tired today. Still trying to find that sweet spot where I'm not chronically tired, but I'm tired enough to go to bed at the end of the day.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2019, 10:50:58 PM »
zygote, keep at it! You seem to be making progress. Can you ease back a little, just for a bit, on the idea of progress? I find that if I can "coast" at a particular level for a short time, it makes leveling up later easier.

Also, thanks for reviving the thread. I've been looking for it!

Sleep is going just OK. I'm not quite where I want to be, but my life is mostly working, so I'll take it for now. Of more urgency is food cravings that need to be quashed. Somehow on 4th of July, the sugar monster within was awakened. Tonight's health class reminded me that  25 grams of fiber is a good goal to shoot for, so I've made that a goal in my app and can start to replace chocolate calories with fiber rich foods.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2019, 05:52:45 AM »
Re-committing to good sleep habits this month - my DH and I have both been having trouble getting enough sleep recently.  I think it's a combination of the heat, and being lax about turning off the screens at least 30 min before bed.  I've usually been more dedicated to the latter than DH, but it's very hard to read when he's watching videos on his laptop in bed.  I just automatically watch with him, which of course violates the no screens rule.  Need to get better about asking him to turn it off - without being a nag, I hope.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2019, 09:35:24 AM »
Thanks for that, @oneday. I'll see if I can enjoy coasting in this current stage of actually getting into bed at a reasonable time and reading a little.

As for fiber, did you know pure cacao powder is actually very high in fiber? ;) Throw it into a smoothie with some raspberries and you can trick your body into feeling like you've had ice cream when it's actually healthy and full of fiber.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2019, 02:44:10 PM »
Spent today focusing on low difficulty, low priority tasks that were on my to-do list for way too long.  Mostly unpacking, tidying, and putting away in rooms that we haven't finished moving into, plus a few surfaces that tend to be our dumping ground.  I always vaguely remember that I feel better when surfaces are clear and clean with everything put away, but actually doing it is such a relief!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2019, 11:47:33 PM »
Raeina, I know what you mean about clear surfaces. I'm moving, and as I pack layers of stuff, there's a level of stuff that leaves clear surfaces  but functional household that just feels nice.

Reporting on the goal of fiber. Found that the app was not giving me credit for any fiber in my roasted veggies! So it's skewed low. Even if I add in few grams for that, I'm in the 15-20 range.  Decent, but still work to be done to get up to 25 grams/day. Chugging along in the right direction, at least.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2019, 01:59:47 AM »
My focus for the next month is going to be getting out of the office to the trees at least once a day.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2019, 01:04:22 PM »
@Raenia, oh, I love me some clear surfaces. Crowded counters make everything seem less manageable.

@oneday, I have also had trouble with apps not giving me credit for the potassium in yogurt, things like that. They just don't know everything. Good luck with adding fiber!

@mspym, that's so smart! I try to do this, too, although today it is 94 degrees, so maybe a day to skip! I did ride my bike to work and there is a tree-lined stretch. It's good for ya.

I've been happy to see this thread reviving! I have been up and down a little on the healthy choices. I was down to one cup of coffee a day and briefly cut out wine, but then I found out the reason I can't get pregnant isn't (AFAIK) me (which I assumed because I'm 38), but the other half of the equation.

So I have not been so motivated to skip that extra cup of coffee or the wine with dinner, BUT I am still taking good care of myself. The Boy and I starting trying to eat salmon every week (ideally twice), which we've been doing pretty faithfully, and upping our fruits and vegetables. I was probably only getting 3-4 servings and he was only getting one or two. Delicious and healthful.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: August 21, 2019, 08:23:22 AM »
Took a sick day today.  I'm not really sick, just really tired, but I wanted to get some extra sleep.  Totally worth it, I feel much better now, and I'll be able to have a quiet day and maybe get a few chores done.  Or just read, if I want to.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2019, 04:28:52 PM »
@La Bibliotecaria Feroz I made a new recipe, I'm getting 2g of fiber for each serving now, so that's great.  But need to actually eat the veggies!

Yesterday, I ate no fruit or veggies of any kind...it was moving day and it was hectic.  But, back on track today, at 14g after lunch, so will be in the right range after dinner.  I'll have to sit down once everything's unpacked and strategize, as my current eating plan is just not *quite* adequate on the fiber front.

And sleep.  Been having trouble getting to sleep and staying that way.  I'm hoping it's just the disruption of the move, so hope to be able to report that I'm back on track soon.  Good sleep is just so foundational to a well-run life, I've found.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: August 24, 2019, 08:54:47 PM »
Sleep...so nice. I've been walking a tight rope between sleep and exercise. Only time I can run due to the heat is very early. And work tends to run into the evening (self-employed so cutting hours cuts pay). It's a fine line. I did drop caffeine most days which helps. But I really wish for a more sane schedule for sleep. Getting up at 5 isn't very much fun and leaves me feeling sluggish.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: August 25, 2019, 06:40:55 PM »
@Mongoose , can you siesta?

Moving has been intense and disorderly, I've been stressing myself trying to impose order on the process.  Because disorder disturbs me and it's been affecting sleep.  But, got a good 6 hours last night and will go down early tonight most likely.  Returning to the work week routine will probably be a good thing.

Veggies consumption has been up and down, but that should stabilize in the work week routine as well, even if not at goal.

I feel like I'm hanging on to sanity by my fingernails.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2019, 05:42:08 PM »
I am reinvigorating this thread to talk about my coffee consumption. I was doing so well over the summer. I was down to one small cup a day. Then I went back to two. Lately... it has often been three or four. The Boy has been faithfully popping every supplement I give him and a couple of prescriptions from the reproductive endocrinologist; I should do my part. Also, all that flavored creamer is not good for me.

Yesterday was four. Today was three--it was going to be two, but I am getting over a cold and couldn't do it. Tomorrow needs to be two. Two should be plenty!

On the plus side of the spectrum, I was feeling starved for exercise this morning so I did a little! I did some Turkish Get Ups because I never have time when I'm at the gym lifting to do abs, and I know I need to sometimes, and then I rode my bike to work even though it was cold and gross. It felt good.

How has everyone else been doing? Sleeping? Eating fruits and vegetables?

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2019, 06:54:18 PM »
I love this thread so thanks for reviving :) I believe you can do it on the coffee!

My most recent healthy choice has been to radically cut down on household meat consumption and almost entirely cut out dairy. I'm feeling really good! Both Ofpym and I have been losing some weight! My weird skin condition is clearing up! [it's the dairy, I have alwasy known it's the dairy, I have still been eating way too much cheese for someone who can't digest lactose]

Also I have started doing meditation on the train on my way into work. It sets my day up better than when I fritter around on youtube and the forum.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2019, 02:51:22 PM »
I love this thread so thanks for reviving :) I believe you can do it on the coffee!

My most recent healthy choice has been to radically cut down on household meat consumption and almost entirely cut out dairy. I'm feeling really good! Both Ofpym and I have been losing some weight! My weird skin condition is clearing up! [it's the dairy, I have alwasy known it's the dairy, I have still been eating way too much cheese for someone who can't digest lactose]

Also I have started doing meditation on the train on my way into work. It sets my day up better than when I fritter around on youtube and the forum.

Good job cutting down on the dairy and meat! That's hard to do but so important. I've been trying to get the Boy to do less beef cooking and more poultry and beans. (He has been making tacos with a mix of ground turkey and lentils, for instance.)

Meditation sounds great, too! I arrive at work feeling better when I have been riding my bike (quasi-meditative) than driving my car pushing radio buttons.

So far, so good. I drank my second cup, put the mug in the dishwasher, and didn't make more--if someone wants PM coffee, they can make some, but sometimes it goes to waste if you make it too late and no one in the break room wanted any at that time. I feel really tired but am managing this by getting up out of my chair a ridiculous, borderline unprofessional amount!

I haven't been sleeping all week but hopefully less coffee and being off pseudophedrine for the first time in days will help.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2019, 03:19:17 PM »
I have trained myself to find herbal tea or even hot water as satisfying as coffee in the afternoon. Mostly I want a hot drink and a reason to move around and if I drink caffeine after 2pm then I cannot sleep at all. Sometime I leave the office and walk around the block at 3pm instead of having a snack or drink.

I used to ride to work and then they changed offices so now I ride my bike to the train station. Both are better than sitting in a car!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2019, 04:25:45 PM »
LBF, thanks for bringing this back. I'd forgotten all about my finger goal.

Everything has gone off the rails since my move three months ago, so time to reign myself back in. Starting with veggie consumption.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2019, 04:42:59 PM »
LBF, thanks for bringing this back. I'd forgotten all about my finger goal.

Everything has gone off the rails since my move three months ago, so time to reign myself back in. Starting with veggie consumption.

Welcome back, @oneday! Moves are SO disruptive, aren't they? It changes your whole routine and then getting back into one is so hard. I had trouble getting into a gym routine when I moved back in March. Good luck! Hopefully you will come back tomorrow or the next day and you will have eaten a nice fresh vegetable.

I am pleased to report that I have limited myself to 2 cups of coffee a day since my post here. I also got out for a walk today even though it was super cold and cloudy and I had to walk down a hill in several inches of snow. Very invigorating.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: December 01, 2019, 08:13:48 PM »
Good job keeping it to 2 cups this week, woo!  The walking will hopefully help with your sleep, too.

Lunch yesterday was veggie soup, and Mom's husband showed me how he makes it, so I can do it too (probably).  Taught Mom to make roasted veggies, so that was included in dinner.  Progress!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2019, 10:48:44 PM »
Good job keeping it to 2 cups this week, woo!  The walking will hopefully help with your sleep, too.

Lunch yesterday was veggie soup, and Mom's husband showed me how he makes it, so I can do it too (probably).  Taught Mom to make roasted veggies, so that was included in dinner.  Progress!

Ooh, roasted veggies and veggie soup... winter comfort food.

At this time of the month I always sleep poorly and have bad dreams, so I popped a little benadryl last night. Tonight hopefully the hot bath and reduced caffeine will suffice:-).

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #171 on: December 03, 2019, 11:45:15 PM »
More winter comfort food to come: tomorrow is a repeat of the butternut squash soup recipe that was a hit last time.  In the mean time, having to scrounge around for veggies.  It takes so much planning!

Up late today to finish up some work from home: I chose to go to the dentist during the busy time of month, then I chose to hang with friends this evening even though the work was not done.  At least I didn't "lose" the time to random internet browsing.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2020, 06:41:36 PM »
Will there be a 2020 edition? I'm hoping to work on a few health goals this year, and this thread seems to be the best fit for that. I need some accountability in order to make consistent progress!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2020, 02:00:44 PM »
Will there be a 2020 edition? I'm hoping to work on a few health goals this year, and this thread seems to be the best fit for that. I need some accountability in order to make consistent progress!

Let's do it, @Luz! It is here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/healthy-choices-2020/#new