Author Topic: Healthy 2014  (Read 17342 times)

summersundries

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Healthy 2014
« on: November 29, 2013, 05:03:46 PM »
I know MMM is usually more about money but I also know it's about healthy lifestyle.  I figured I'd start this thread for anyone looking to mustachio their physique in 2014, with sweat and tears (of joy hopefully).

So I have set myself a personal goal of losing 70 pounds by December 2014.  Since I'm starting right now, I figure I'll have approx. 56 weeks to lose 60-70 pounds, so it's really achievable goal.  I weighed 205 pounds to start and currently weigh 195 pounds.  I'd like to get to 125 or 135 (since this the high end of the normal range for my height). When I get closer to my goal I'll just see when I look healthy and let it stop there.  So don't worry, no extreme diets or overexercise.  If I look and feel healthy and strong I'll stop, even if the weight is 137 or 140, or whatever.  I just want to be fit and have the energy to do the things I love.

I actually started 2 months ago, unofficially just trying to eat less fake food, and joined a gym.  Making a modest effort it I've lost 10 pounds in that 2 months.  But I am now inspired to throw down the gauntlet and go mustachian on this mother!  Who knows, maybe I'll even finish early.

Anyone want in?

Freeme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Healthy 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:59:25 PM »
I'm in, have about 100 lbs to lose that would be about 2 lbs per week. I am just getting started I currently have a very stressful job that I may leave at the beginning of fall next year. Ideally I would like to work 4 more year before FI but may not make it that long. My health goals are just as important as my FI goals. I've let my sedentary stressful job get the best of my health. I will have to weight myself tomorrow as I am not even sure my weight right now. It's not really my weight as much as my health I'm looking to regain.

summersundries

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 06:48:37 AM »
Yeah Freeme, I also have a very high stress job.  I also do a lot of on call work after the work day is done, so I can't even go home and relax completely.
So I've set myself minigoals along the way.  The first goal is going to be: deal with one stressful day or emergency without food or zoning out in front of the computer. 

Really this is going to be a lifestyle change goal, which is why I gave it a year.  I could lose a ton of weight really fast with extreme diets or whatever, but I won't keep doing it forever.  I know people who had great results cutting out carbs for example.  But I can't picture never eating carbs again, that's completely unsustainable.  Also I'd more focused on cutting out X, than improving mental and physical health.

I figure it's not rocket science.  I'm eating less and moving more.  And it's working! There's a madtv skit I love that says the same thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKs0oEIVOck

Freeme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 10:23:46 AM »
Very funny video. I decided not to weigh myself because that is just a product of my lifestyle and that is where the changes need to be made. I always think I'm doing these things but in reality if I was I would not be in this shape. I just finished reading the post about acknowledging that you suck and I say I do in this part of my life. I allowed a sedatary job make me weaker and fatter every year until I am now in this position.

Here is my plan it is as simple as the eat less, move more idea. Did I move every day (walk, bike, work in yard and so on). Was my diet each day real whole foods. If I'm tired do I need sleep or do I need to move?

Since my job is stressful and on a computer all day what makes a difference for me is getting outside in some fresh air. So really planning in as much outdoor activity as possible. I live in California so can really enjoy the outdoors all the time.  Also planning some time for my mind just to be quiet. So much of my job is in my head and at times it is difficult to turn it off.

Today I will walk outside, grocery store, play poker tonight so all bases are covered.
Food, fun, fitness.

Serve&Volley88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »
I've been doing the 7 Minute Workout lately. Here's some background: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/

An article in the May-June issue of the American College of Sports Medicine’s Health & Fitness Journal does just that. In 12 exercises deploying only body weight, a chair and a wall, it fulfills the latest mandates for high-intensity effort, which essentially combines a long run and a visit to the weight room into about seven minutes of steady discomfort — all of it based on science.

“There’s very good evidence” that high-intensity interval training provides “many of the fitness benefits of prolonged endurance training but in much less time,” says Chris Jordan, the director of exercise physiology at the Human Performance Institute in Orlando, Fla., and co-author of the new article.

The app is great: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.minhphan.android.seven&hl=en

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 01:03:27 PM »
I'll join in- my weight is ok but my muscle mass has really decreased. I want to work out three times a week doing both strength and flexibility training. I've gotten so tight and I'm totally recovered from ACL surgery now so I can really start to work again. It's just hard to be motivated about working out at home, especially in a tiny apartment. I usually take classes, but I'm trying to trim my budget right now so I need to develop a good home routine this year.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 02:02:06 PM »

I am in! I have gained 60 lbs in 4 years after getting married. I would love to go back to my pre-marriage weight even though I thought I was fat then.

I've been doing the 7 Minute Workout lately. Here's some background: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/

An article in the May-June issue of the American College of Sports Medicine’s Health & Fitness Journal does just that. In 12 exercises deploying only body weight, a chair and a wall, it fulfills the latest mandates for high-intensity effort, which essentially combines a long run and a visit to the weight room into about seven minutes of steady discomfort — all of it based on science.

“There’s very good evidence” that high-intensity interval training provides “many of the fitness benefits of prolonged endurance training but in much less time,” says Chris Jordan, the director of exercise physiology at the Human Performance Institute in Orlando, Fla., and co-author of the new article.

The app is great: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.minhphan.android.seven&hl=en

Do you do warm up before the 7-minute workout? How long?

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 11:35:23 AM »
I've been working on losing weight and keeping it off.  I gave myself excuses recently, like the stress from buying a house, the stress from my job being unstable on contract which was renewed every 3 months.  Now those issues are gone and I have no excuses.  I'm quitting my car and riding to work every day.  I'd also like to get back to my pre-marriage weight of 75kg, right now I'm 100kg, so about 55 pounds.  If I lose half a kilo a week I can achieve this by the end of the year.

ashley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »
I've got the healthy eating part down. I just need to start moving more. I stopped jogging 6 months ago and have felt noticeably worse ever since. I haven't gained any weight, but my body definitely looks different. I don't like it. I always kind of hated jogging, but I need to find some activity I don't dread.

mariarose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 11:17:44 AM »
I'm in.  I know about nutrition, and my job is quite physical.  Portion size is my downfall. I have 75 pounds to release!  We can do this!

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 03:27:55 PM »
I've got the healthy eating part down. I just need to start moving more. I stopped jogging 6 months ago and have felt noticeably worse ever since. I haven't gained any weight, but my body definitely looks different. I don't like it. I always kind of hated jogging, but I need to find some activity I don't dread.

Ashley, have you tried Audiobooks? I'm an addicted reader and I've done everything I can to associate books with physical activity (in my case it's long distance walking but I don't see why it couldn't also work for other physical activity).

These days I spend the hour long walk to and from work with a book and I enjoy it a lot more.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »
Ashley, have you tried Audiobooks? I'm an addicted reader and I've done everything I can to associate books with physical activity (in my case it's long distance walking but I don't see why it couldn't also work for other physical activity).

These days I spend the hour long walk to and from work with a book and I enjoy it a lot more.

+1 I have audio books and podcasts going through a lot of exercise, whether it's washing dishes, running, or walking. The time flies when you're engrossed.  Harry Potter as read by Jim Dale can get me through absolutely anything.

ZugZug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 02:38:14 PM »
I'm In. I need to lose about 100 lbs. Been active again for a little over a month. Just joined a crossfit gym too to turn it up some!

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 03:44:27 PM »
My goal for January is to cook more. Twice a week I'll make something in the crockpot that could be lunch and dinner for the next couple of days. I have a day off every 2 days so this works out. I have tried making bulk food but it gets forgotten and goes bad and wasted. I'll concentrate on making the main dish and think of different sides. Hope this works!

How's everyone doing so far?

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 05:43:05 PM »
I was going for "just eat food" today (nothing processed) and my grilled cheese sandwich breakfast and dinner snack of a plate of chips and top the tater says I didn't do too hot on that one.  Thankfully the chips/dip were the only real garbage I had today!

My goal for January is to do at least 2 minutes of body-weight exercises a day - easy peasy, right?  I was bored earlier and did some pushups so today is alright on that score.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 05:44:54 PM by manner »

ZugZug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 07:26:19 AM »
I think the hardest thing for me will be self control at my pt job. I'm good most of the day but I work at a pizza shop a few days a week. And eating prior to going in doesn't always work. I just signed up for a month at a crossfit gym tho so hopefully that'll help keep me motivated. Good luck everyone I'll keep u posted

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 11:30:28 AM »
I'm in too. I want to lose about 20 lbs that I have put on since starting my sedentary job 5 years ago. I need to probably eat about 2/3 of the portions I am eating now, and find something to get myself active that I don't hate. My husband goes to the gym and I can go with him for free, but I really despise it. I'll have to just suck it up and go until I think of something better.

mikaty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 06:19:18 AM »
I'm in on the Healthy 2014 but my first goal ignores weight completely.  I'll try keep my diet in check but that's not my focus. 

I've been suffering from chronic lower back pain (I'm only 29 that's a really bad sign) for the past year.  Have finally made peace with the expense and am working with a bio-kineticist to get some relief - luckily my medical plan actually pays about 3/4 of this from a benefit category that I've never used before - unfortunately it still costs me about $20 per week.  Although I'm sure being seriously overweight is a contributing factor the bio hasn't even mentioned it.  We're working on core strength, improving flexibility and muscle balance (apparently my left glute barely even functions), as well as stengthening ankles, knees and hips (apparently major contributors to my bad posture).  The pain has prevented me from doing many physical activities and my while my husband is very understanding I'm sure he thinks I'm just being lazy.  Once I'm pain free it might be easier to lose weight and improve my fitness again.

Another thing I'd like to try is walking/cycling to work - but I'm terrified - don't know if I'll ever get over the fear.  Basically I don't feel safe doing either.  Maybe I need to find a job closer to home...

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 06:31:16 AM »
I read an article in the Wash Post by a famous cartoonist. He does acknowledge why would anyone want to listen to a cartoonist regarding diet and exercise. His advice, though, was outstanding.

In sum, he advises not to use willpower to lose weight. Studies have shown we only have so much willpower. Instead, he says, create systems:

"It’s easy to spot the people who are trying to use willpower instead of knowledge to get healthier. They tend to say things like this:

My goal is to lose 10 pounds.

In my experience, the fittest people have systems, not goals, unless they are training for something specific. A sensible system is to continuously learn more about the science of diet and the methods for making healthy food taste great. With that system, weight management will feel automatic. Goals aren’t needed."

FWIW.

Happy healthy 2014!

TKE Super Dave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 08:02:09 AM »
I'm down to do this challenge, especially now I've been given the okay by my doctor to work out again. I hit 201lbs recently and that's the heaviest I've ever been in my lifetime. A year and a half ago I had gotten on a health kick and had gotten down to 174lbs but then I herniated my disc (ironically doing it while working out). My doctor told me I had to stop working out for it to heal, unfortunately that took a year and a half. I want to get back to the 174lb again, then if I can get to 165lbs which is about the medium for someone my height.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 08:30:25 AM »
I recently scored in the "Excellent" category on our annual health assessment for insurance. My goals for 2014 are losing the fat I've still got, mainly in glute area.

My max weight about 5-6 years ago was 300lbs. I got it as low as 205 this fall, but starting biking to work and doing endurance training (currently up to 30 mile loops) and promptly gained 15 pounds of almost all muscle. I weigh myself every week but I also keep an eye on body fat, overall well-being, et cetera. Weight is only one part of the dynamic!

For those losing weight but looking at long term control, first cut out the low hanging fruit (sweets, junk food, empty calories like soda). Then work on portion control BEFORE totally overhauling a diet (e.g., doing something drastic like Atkins/paleo/etc). That's what really worked for me and after the first year of dramatic weight loss (~60 lbs in one year), I've never weighed more than 230, even when I was a lazy ass.

With my frame size, I will probably stay around 215-220 even in perfect condition. I've got maybe 20lbs left of fat on my frame, but could easily add that back in muscle mass. I'm built like an American football player and doubt I could every healthfully weigh less than 190, unless I had weak, weak muscles.

ZugZug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 10:31:12 AM »
How's everyone doing so far? My crossfit classes are killing me but I like it so far. I hit a roadblock this weekend and ate like Crap but I'm back to normal so far this week. Trying to eat mostly paleo. It's tough but I feel better overall and it's only been a couple weeks

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 10:30:13 PM »
Here I am so far this year.  Starting to get a downward trend but need to kick it up a notch.  From 100Kg to 99.7Kg in two weeks, gotta pick up the pace if I want to hit 0.5Kg a week.
http://opendiet.net/graph/ohyonghao

StPaulCityGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »
I'll join in- my weight is ok but my muscle mass has really decreased. I want to work out three times a week doing both strength and flexibility training. I've gotten so tight and I'm totally recovered from ACL surgery now so I can really start to work again. It's just hard to be motivated about working out at home, especially in a tiny apartment. I usually take classes, but I'm trying to trim my budget right now so I need to develop a good home routine this year.

If you have a DVD player and a library card, you can borrow different fitness videos from the library. You can also watch different ones via Netflix or Amazon.com if you have those services. You could also probably find cheap or even free ones on Craigslist, too.  I've worked out at home for years just switching up my videos from time to time to keep from getting bored. If you can find used hand weights (PowerBlock and/or SportBlocks are nice because they are compact) and maybe a bench (not crucial, just nice to have) you're all set! I lost 15 lbs just using Leslie Sanstone (sp?) Walk The Weight Off videos before I started running outside and lost even more. I've been able to maintain my weight loss by counting calories (boring, yes, effective, absolutely), bike commuting (only 6 miles RT but it counts), and walking or biking for any errands I can. I also jog from time to time, but not as much as I used to because, like I said, I get bored with the same routines. I live in Minnesota so winters are LONG and COLD and I have to keep up a variety of indoor and outdoor activities but, as they say, that is the spice of life!

Good luck to everyone on this challenge! You can do it!!

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 08:41:31 AM »
I'm in! 2014 is planned to be an exciting year.

Last known weight before starting was 240 lbs which @ 6'4 leaves me a good 30-50 lb available to lose. At this point, the actual weight is irrelevant. It's the cardio and money savings that I'm interested in.

My two major goals for 2014 are:
1. Ride the bike to work every day possible (28 mi. RT)
 a. Costco run with the car 1 per month.
 b. Bike repairs which warrant driving the bike to the bike shop.
2. Bike more total miles than I drive the car.

Every weekend also entails a 100 mi. RT (car, jeez) up to LA to see the gf, so there is already a limitation of only 24 wimp out days max for the year to meet condition 2. Regardless, the fitness will be grossly present in 2014, and I for one am excited at the adventure ahead.

Challenge accepted!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 08:06:58 AM »
I'm in. I'm really good in the strength department because of the physical aspects of my job and the fact that I really like lifting heavy weights. Where I fall flat on my ass is every other aspect of fitness (cardio, mobility, and flexibility). I could also stand to lose 25-30lbs. My goal to begin with will be 30 minutes of cardio every morning followed by 30 minutes of stretching and mobility work. I will continue my strength program as is 4 nights a week. Then I will work on portion control. I'm sure some of my heavy lifts will suffer but it's not like I'm ever going to the Olympics anyway.

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »
I'm in. My first mini-goal is to get below 200. I could start to lose about 80 pounds, but I'll start small. For me, the biggest problem is stress eating/lack of planning.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 06:49:46 PM »
Going pretty good so far. Ran two miles this morning and did 50 burpees afterward. Pretty sure my blood is pure bacon grease cause my heart was trying to explode. Didn't get much stretching in due to my SLOW 2 mile time. Which brings up a question I have for you runners. How do you keep your lungs from burning like crazy when running in the cold? Or do I just need to get in better shape?

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 07:14:19 PM »
I am participating in a no-weigh February to keep myself from going crazy. Challenge this week is no fast food and reducing portion size. I have been working on drinking one gallon of water a day, and no diet soda!

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 07:41:22 PM »
I'm currently taking a free course at COURSERA.org called Nutrition, Health, and Lifestyle: Issues and Insights from Vanderbilt professor Jamie Pope.

There is a lot of good information and advice on the discussion boards for the class.

You don't have to complete all of the assignments and you can learn at your own pace. I like the videos. They're broken up into short clips to make it easier to watch.

I am kinda a health nut, and I must say, I'm learning a lot.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 07:23:18 AM »
Going pretty good so far. Ran two miles this morning and did 50 burpees afterward. Pretty sure my blood is pure bacon grease cause my heart was trying to explode. Didn't get much stretching in due to my SLOW 2 mile time. Which brings up a question I have for you runners. How do you keep your lungs from burning like crazy when running in the cold? Or do I just need to get in better shape?

It sounds like you're sucking a lot of wind, so you may need to slow down and build your aerobic base.  How cold of weather?  If it's getting down to zero F, I'll run with a scarf or something over my mouth until I get warmed up.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 09:02:30 AM »
I think it was around 7 degrees. It was a pretty big eye opener to how far my cardio has slipped. I used to belong to a group that trained for amature mma fights. Although I never fought myself I would do the same conditioning and training as the guys getting ready for fights. I'm sure my heavy clothes and holiday weight didn't help matters either. Hopefully it comes back quickly

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »
I haven't been meeting my goal at all but I am on a downward trend.  I've gone from 100kg to just under 99kg in a months time.  Not exactly an achievement to boast about but it is in the right direction.  Using OpenDiet I have been able to track my trend and see that I am currently running a deficit of about 500 Calories a day.  You can check my progress out at http://opendiet.net/graph/ohyonghao.  We're still working on getting the numbers on the bottom to work in metric.

This past week or so I just haven't been feeling as hungry.  I brought lunch to work yesterday but left without eating it (put it in the fridge, I'll have it today).  I prepared my two week stash of snacks I bring to work, this time using a scale, and found that I've cut about 100 Calories from each bag, hopefully this works out to me not making up for it by finding more to eat elsewhere.

I'm also on the 100 Pushups, 200 Situps thread and have gotten into my second week; the first couple days were sore muscles but after last nights workout I don't feel any soreness.  My goal this month is to keep doing the 100 Pushups, 200 Situps routine, and ride to work every day.  My stretch goal is to make it to our HOA's gym twice a week to do some extra exercise or running on the treadmill.

I signed up for a 5k in June and hope to be able to run it in 30 minutes.  I figure I have 4 months to get in shape for the 5k.  After this month I'll continue the habits I've built and add in jogging outside hopefully two or three times a week, first just going for endurance.  I'll see how I'm doing at the end of March to decide how April will go.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 09:10:11 PM »
How's everyone doing? I joined a dietbet because nothing motivates me more than money. Currently avoiding bread, sugar and fast food.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 06:53:55 AM »
Doing pretty good on the cardio side of things. My diet is getting better but still not where I want it. Anybody have any suggestions for a 3 o'clock snack. I do my workout at 4:30 so it needs to be light but filling enough I don't raid the fridge right after my workout

ZugZug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 07:54:50 AM »
Doing pretty good on the cardio side of things. My diet is getting better but still not where I want it. Anybody have any suggestions for a 3 o'clock snack. I do my workout at 4:30 so it needs to be light but filling enough I don't raid the fridge right after my workout

Bananas and it almonds work well for me

ZugZug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 07:57:36 AM »
Just checking in. I'm down about another 10-15 lbs since this challenge started. 30 since December. Noticing that although my workouts are good my diet is the biggest factor so far. Hope everyone else is doing well!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 10:17:37 AM »
I like peanut butter with an apple or banana.  A handful of nuts if I'm being lazy. 

TKE Super Dave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 12:41:16 PM »
I'm not doing to well I'm actually up 5lbs since I posted. Last week and this week I've been getting my running in when I can. Fucking snow, has kept me from running outside or making it to the apartment complex's treadmill. The one good this is my diet is doing much better this week, so that's good news.

I also just cleaned out/decluttering my guest bedroom so I can begin using the exercise machine my friends gave me when I moved out of their house, so that should help with my strength concerns. On top of that I've been keeping an eye out on craigslist for some dumbbells to use.

So overall not a good start but definitely getting better.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 03:11:33 PM »
Finally got onto a good downward trend.  The trend graph shows I'm running a calorie deficit of about 750 calories a day for this month, but this last week is more around 1000.  That should translate to a pound lost every three days or so.

There's a book available for free online called The Hackers Diet.  It goes at dieting from an engineering perspective.  The big thing that got me was realizing how little exercise does for losing weight when compared to eating.  For an example, the cheeseburger I had for lunch yesterday lists itself at 600 calories.  Running for 36 minutes on the treadmill last night showed that I burned about 500 calories.  In other words, the 600 calories from the cheeseburger would require around 43 minutes of running to burn off.  From another perspective you could just eat 600 calories fewer and do something else with your 43 minutes which would have been used running.

You can check out my weight chart in my signature to see how the diet has been working.  The curvy blue line is the trend, and the green is my actual weight.  What's great about it is although the last two days my weight has gone up slightly the overall trend is still heading down.  I just hope tomorrow the weight sheds itself so I don't get any more red on my chart.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »
I'll have to try the fruits and nuts at 3:00. My biggest problem is by 5:00 when I get home I'm starving. And it's never good things I crave. It's always pizza or some other greasy salty food.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 08:00:19 PM »
I'll have to try the fruits and nuts at 3:00. My biggest problem is by 5:00 when I get home I'm starving. And it's never good things I crave. It's always pizza or some other greasy salty food.

Maybe you'll be less likely to cheat if you have something healthy and quick. Bulk prepare on the weekend and portion out for the week.

We had a lazy pizza habit that we kicked by having easier options at home. Lazy for the win!

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 06:07:27 PM »
I'll second that. When I don't plan, lazy wins out. When I plan, I eat the healthy food.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 07:02:57 PM »

Maybe you'll be less likely to cheat if you have something healthy and quick. Bulk prepare on the weekend and portion out for the week.

We had a lazy pizza habit that we kicked by having easier options at home. Lazy for the win!

That's what I started doing.  My snack isn't all that healthy, but it's only about 200 Calories.  A mix of cheesy cracker mix, cheeze-its, and Salsa Verde Doritos.  I prepare two weeks at a time and bring one bag a day to work.  Recently I lowered the amount (was much higher than 200 Calories) of each I put in it and haven't noticed a difference in hunger.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2014, 10:46:31 AM »
I was going to daily body-weight exercises; that only lasted until the school semester started.  Instead, I walk 1 mile from a bus stop to my office (instead of waiting for a second bus) and then walk the mile back again in the evening, twice a week.  Feels nice to stretch my legs! I get in probably as much walking on the other days at another university where I am a student but it's more broken up.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2014, 12:24:55 PM »
Chicken is on sale at Albertson's right now 99c/lb and the bagged spinach is 2for $3 am going there later to buy some and make something for lunches. I've been using the deli ham from Costco as a wrap.

mikaty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2014, 06:55:31 AM »
So far I have quit chocolates, fruit juice, fries and chips (in any shape or flavour).  I figured if I can give up one unhealthy habit every week then by the end of 2014 I should be pretty healthy.  This week I'm giving up on any food at the office which I didn't bring in myself; occasional free pizza and birthday cake is not helping... In addition I need to pick up a healthy habit every week - or at this point every other week.  Right now the healthy habits are in the form of slowly adding more exercise to my routine.  In the past I've done too much too quickly and then I lose momentum too quickly.  I now have a core workout that I can do 4 days a week and additional stretches for the other 3 days.  I would like to add more cardio to that during this week.  But the good news is that my back pain is so much better than it was before, so at least the workouts are working...

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2014, 07:02:38 AM »
I have been trying to gradually phase out added sugar and sweetener in my diet.  One of the toughest areas has been that I'm a big coffee drinker and I used to add a TON of sugar or sweetener to my coffee.  Over time I've been easing back on that and for the past week I've finally gotten to where I can enjoy a cup of coffee with nothing more than a splash of unsweetened almond milk.  It doesn't seem like much, but it feels big to me.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2014, 07:17:33 AM »
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with back pain. I know when I was in really great shape a few years ago I never had any. After I quit working out it came back. I've seen the chiropractic and he says it's from tight hamstrings and a lack of core strength for me. (Also being 6'6" doesn't help). It's amazed me how quick the pain has went away just by stretching regular and doing squats, sit-ups, and back extensions.
P.s. My wife is now on board and we decided to do a 30 day paleo challenge. Which means avoiding eating out, all meals home cooked paleo, and no alcohol. We've been attempting to eat paleo for a couple years now but pizza is just to good. I'll start a new thread later in the week since we plan to start Sunday when Sam gets back from her conference, and I don't want to hijack this thread lol
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:20:47 AM by Hedge_87 »

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »
I am in.  I would like to lose about 60 lbs over the next two years.  I gave up wheat for the first six weeks of the year and had loads of energy and moved two belt holes, then slipped and am getting back on track now.

I have been doing Pilates three times a week for six months and that is having a similar effect on me to weightlifting: toning my muscles, slimming my torso and arms and giving me lots of strength. 

I plan to bike every day in April even if it is for 15 minutes.  So this week I am going to get on my bike for the first time in years.  I think three times this week and then a slow increase will be doable.  I have had a history of overdoing it when I start to exercise so now I am more cautious.  Biking was my favourite thing to do in the world until I left college and I am psyched to enjoy it again.

One of my downfalls is not being prepared for days when I really have no energy to make dinner and feeling put off by the food I have in the freezer.  So I am planning to have tastier food available to eat quickly.  I will see what I can find in the way of ideas.   Instead of just vegetable soups I want to have things with cheese and bacon and so on.

So this week: off wheat and most flour; start biking; prep and freeze something yummy.

Thanks for this thread!