Author Topic: Has anybody tried this before?  (Read 7275 times)

Tacosrocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Stop looking at my personal text, gosh
Has anybody tried this before?
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »
I have 1 piece of Ghirardelli chocolate, 1 beer and 1 ounce of rum. I will not consume them. I will see them every day and be reminded of all the lost potential. I will not need to buy more because there is already some at home.

Has anyone tried something like this before? I don't think it works for anything that doesn't need constant replacing (like food) but I feel like I it will get me through the beer and chocolate withdraw!

Thegoblinchief

Re: Has anybody tried this before?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 03:27:50 PM »
I would eat them and then be like "damn, that was tasty!" ;)

Better to not buy them at all, IMO.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 03:48:02 PM »
I was half expecting some story about mixing all three items together and not feeling very good hours later.

No, wouldn't work for me. I could avoid buying more, but not avoid eating those existing items separately.

Tacosrocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 05:34:33 PM »
LOL I know, exciting title, less interesting content. Muwahaha. Anyway, I feel like keeping the last bit around is... I can't really explain it =/ but I feel like it really help for some reason o.o I was just wondering if anybody else had this weird feeling about something similar.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 08:15:01 PM »
LOL I know, exciting title, less interesting content. Muwahaha. Anyway, I feel like keeping the last bit around is... I can't really explain it =/ but I feel like it really help for some reason o.o I was just wondering if anybody else had this weird feeling about something similar.

Some former smokers do a similar thing, keeping their last pack/cigarette around as a reminder. If the reminder helps, awesome.

Tacosrocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »

Some former smokers do a similar thing, keeping their last pack/cigarette around as a reminder. If the reminder helps, awesome.

It's not exactly about being reminded.... but maybe.. feeling like you're not lacking it when you see it at the store maybe? I can't figure it out!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:14:27 PM »
I have friends that would raid my cupboard and take care of any traces of chocolate..:)

Frank

charmonkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 09:27:50 AM »
I do this!

I keep a soda in my fridge at work that I refuse to drink.

It just sits there.  It means I don't have to go buy more, and everyday it tells me I've made it one more day without caving to the craving.

jordanread

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 04:36:43 PM »

It's not exactly about being reminded.... but maybe.. feeling like you're not lacking it when you see it at the store maybe? I can't figure it out!
I think it's the awareness of it. Habits have a tendency to take place (or at least the worst ones of mine) almost mindlessly.
Also, the challenge of it is kind of crazy. When I quit smoking last time, I placed a single cigarette in the car (from the mirror), at home (by the back door), and at work (on the desk).

Tacosrocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 05:26:40 AM »
Well they say half the battle is admitting you have a problem, maybe you just need to remind yourself of the problem consistently to keep winning that half of the battle.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 08:39:40 AM »
This is a very interesting idea! I may try it.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 12:50:32 PM »
No way i don't touch it! I gotta keep it out of the house! Hell of alot stronger than me!! Good luck and let us know how you do!

MinimalistMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »
Ha Ha . . Yes, yes, yes! You have described something I am also experiencing and discovered quite by accident.

I really enjoy all kinds of chocolate and spend way too much on food in general (another post, another time). About two months ago, I brought home two bags of really good chocolate that were on sale. Totally delicious, yet after a few weeks, I am still not able to make a dent in the first bag!

There is something about opening up the pantry, seeing them and having no desire to indulge. This has even impacted food shopping trips. No complaints :-)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 04:30:03 PM »
Ummm this is the complete opposite to what I do. I tend to think…mmm I've got the chocolate,  or whatever else is desirable, don't want to waste it, I'll just finish it off and won't buy anymore. Then of course, its on special or I'm hungry when I do the shopping and I buy some more. Rinse repeat.   Of course this method works well on food  you don't like, so you don't waste them.

I fail regularly at losing weight, so I'll  have to try it. Interesting. Maybe a combination of "I've got it, so I don't need more" and "lets see how long I can keep this."     Intuitively I think it will be playing with fire, but I can't do any worse than I'm doing so here goes. I did hear of a reformed alcoholic who used to go to the pub every day on the way home and had a single glass of soft drink so he knew he had really licked the habit.

Tacosrocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »
I'm really happy that other people are doing/discovering this! It's such a weird thing lol.

UPDATE:

OK, I got invited to a party and got a $15 bottle of rum because I don't like going to parties and drinking without bringing something too =/

But here's the interesting observation on that:

I still don't want to drink the one ounce I have left in the other bottle, but I do want to drink the over half full one (next challenge: save it for parties lol)

So I don't know what it is about having just that one more hit left (like the one piece of chocolate on my nightstand). I tend to eat a lot of something at once, so maybe the one bite just isn't worth it lol.

I do think being reminded that you have a problem is part of the reason it works. Any ideas for how to do this with non-consumables?

Maybe don't wear that new shirt or pair of shoes at all, ever. So you don't go clothing shopping. Ding! That might be the answer for unnecessary habits like that. Don't use what you have so you don't get more. Maybe?

Tacosrocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »
I have friends that would raid my cupboard and take care of any traces of chocolate..:)

Frank

Hide it in your house somewhere so only you know where it is X3 <-- smiley face

Ummm this is the complete opposite to what I do. I tend to think…mmm I've got the chocolate,  or whatever else is desirable, don't want to waste it, I'll just finish it off and won't buy anymore. Then of course, its on special or I'm hungry when I do the shopping and I buy some more. Rinse repeat.   Of course this method works well on food  you don't like, so you don't waste them.

I fail regularly at losing weight, so I'll  have to try it. Interesting. Maybe a combination of "I've got it, so I don't need more" and "lets see how long I can keep this."     Intuitively I think it will be playing with fire, but I can't do any worse than I'm doing so here goes. I did hear of a reformed alcoholic who used to go to the pub every day on the way home and had a single glass of soft drink so he knew he had really licked the habit.

Knowing you already have some paired with being reminded all the time that you have a problem is why I think it works (since admitting you have a problem is half the battle, you constantly win that half the battle you're half way there), I wouldn't be able to do it with a full bag of chocolate or this full bottle of rum, it's only working for me with 1 more thing left. I can't quite describe what's so motivating about that =/

I will warn you, I've been temped at the store with chocolate (bags of Garadeli chocolate cost less than $2 because of where I work). I haven't gotten any since I started this (woo hoo!) But, at home, I am not tempted to eat the one I have left and it has contributed to not buying more by making me more mindful, so I think we're getting somewhere!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 06:42:56 PM »
I have a five year old unopened can of Copenhagen in my work truck that I see everyday. I used to buy them by the roll and got down to the last can in the roll and said no more. It's amazing how even after five years when somebody opens a can around me my mouth still waters.

Tacosrocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 07:19:26 PM »
I have a five year old unopened can of Copenhagen in my work truck that I see everyday. I used to buy them by the roll and got down to the last can in the roll and said no more. It's amazing how even after five years when somebody opens a can around me my mouth still waters.

Yep, I think the hard part for most people is that, when they try to better themselves they don't understand why their old cravings never go away. Maybe it's for chocolate or to procrastinate, whatever. It probably WILL never go away so it becomes not about being someone with out them, but being someone who doesn't cave in to them.

Am I on any type of right track here?

tomq04

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »
Well they say half the battle is admitting you have a problem, maybe you just need to remind yourself of the problem consistently to keep winning that half of the battle.

interesting, i like to ponder my problems over chocolate, rum and beer!

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 04:23:42 PM »
I think it's about learning your triggers.

If your trigger to buy chocolate etc is that you have none left, then by keeping some at home, you don't trip that switch.

Sounds like you're also creating a complementary trigger - "Oh no, I can't eat the last piece because then I won't have any for... whenever".

I say if it's working for you, then go with that, no matter why it's working.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 04:26:29 PM »
No, that particular technique wouldn't work for me, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for someone else.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 06:53:58 PM »
I think for me it's because I'm really stuborn. Having it right there in front of me so close "taunting me" and knowing that I am stronger than the psychological and chemical urges is the best way for me to quit. I hope one day I don't crave it anymore and I can throw the can away but until then I'll keep my little reminder that I can do it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!