Author Topic: Happiness challenge  (Read 165565 times)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
Re: Happiness challenge
« Reply #1450 on: October 14, 2022, 04:54:51 AM »
The weather has been gorgeous this week.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1451 on: October 14, 2022, 11:41:21 AM »
I LOVE having a voting station in my condo complex.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1452 on: October 14, 2022, 05:50:16 PM »
1) We’re planning our summer vacation and selected dates to visit the cottage for summer 2023.
2) Out of curiosity, I looked up cottages for rent in our resort. Cottages that are half the size of ours, and not waterfront, are going for over $300/night. A cottage the size of ours would easily cost double (since ours has over 1000sf living space and is waterfront). It would’ve cost us $14,000+ to stay for three weeks in a comparable cottage.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #1453 on: October 14, 2022, 05:51:54 PM »
An errand, which was attempted but thwarted yesterday, was completed today. Overcoming obstacles, yay!

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1454 on: October 14, 2022, 06:10:20 PM »
Today my two older children were cleaning their room, so my third child was sad he had no one to play with. I hugged him and told him I would take him out hiking while his brothers cleaned.

He immediately became happy and excited, and we went out to the woods. He stared in amazement at all the colors of the trees changing and ran and smiled like the 7 year old boy he is. He found a nice stick and started playing with it as we walked, using it to brush the leaves off the trail. He found some truly huge leaves the size of my face to take home and show his mom.

As we came to the start of the trail he neatly positioned his stick on the ground and said: "I hope another boy can find the stick someday and have fun also!". I told him " me too son, me too. I hope everyone can find their stick someday".

Sometimes if I let go of all my worries, and stress, and thoughts and anxieties, and simply walk through the woods noticing the beauty of nature, I can see why my 7 year old son gets so excited by simply walking through the woods.

The only way for me to get to that point though isn't to remember what it is like to be a 7 year old. It is to forget what it is like to be a 36 year old. The stick is already there. I just have to pick up all the leaves covering it up these days.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1455 on: October 15, 2022, 04:45:41 PM »
Ate the leftovers that I saved for myself.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1456 on: October 15, 2022, 07:06:31 PM »
@curious_george - loved that!

It was a more mellow day (friend driving to soccer games) & I really enjoyed the time to myself. I got a lot done, but I also just tried to enjoy each moment as it came, which is unusual for us on a weekend. We have two teens, and they are packed with activities.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1457 on: October 15, 2022, 08:30:32 PM »
A day that seemed like it could feel complicated ended up going really smoothly.
Work, dermatologist, voting....all was easy and pleasant. The happiness of ease.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1458 on: October 15, 2022, 11:23:57 PM »
A day that seemed like it could feel complicated ended up going really smoothly.
Work, dermatologist, voting....all was easy and pleasant. The happiness of ease.

I love it when things are easy. :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1459 on: October 16, 2022, 10:54:37 PM »
Expected to be slightly bored at a hobby event held at a winery. It's not my hobby, it's BF's hobby. Plus, I don't like wine. I went to get some fresh air, stretch my legs and spend some time with him. But there was an unexpected live band and the event was different than expectations. It was a really fun time!

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1460 on: October 17, 2022, 01:23:35 AM »
We're going home today! We've had a nice visit to the ILs, but I am DONE and want my own bed.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1461 on: October 17, 2022, 09:36:05 PM »
Hooray @MarcherLady ! It's always soooo nice to return to one's own nest.

Today, BF helped me complete an annoying* chore. Dropping off something with a Craigslist person, there is always a risk that it will go badly, so I was happy to have his companionship.

*His description of the chore.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #1462 on: October 27, 2022, 04:28:19 AM »
Finished night shifts (7in a row) yesterday and now I am off for 14 nights.
Today I have to myself and tomorrow our DD will come home for a week of fall break

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1463 on: October 27, 2022, 04:42:48 AM »
On Tuesday the bus starts collecting people from the international airport again. This will save me at least an hour on my way home. Door to door eta now 34 hours.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1464 on: October 27, 2022, 10:48:24 AM »

I love it when things are easy. :)

me too!

Had an electrician come by yesterday (securing one is hard enough)  *bonus was that the problem we needed help with was no problem for him and he managed to get the job done quickly. Satisfying!

I've been observing some anxiety rising up recently so started keeping a Done list where I track all the miniscule things I accomplish and hence, can't feel like my days are 'unproductive'. While I understand that getting-things-done isn't the goal of life, sometimes I like looking back at all these tiny things and it helps me feel effective (especially since I'm more of a creative than a master of efficiency)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1465 on: October 27, 2022, 07:36:48 PM »
On Tuesday the bus starts collecting people from the international airport again. This will save me at least an hour on my way home.

Yay!

Door to door eta now 34 hours.

Yay?

I've been observing some anxiety rising up recently so started keeping a Done list where I track all the miniscule things I accomplish and hence, can't feel like my days are 'unproductive'.

I did this for years and it was effective.

Today's happiness is opening the blinds and letting the sun warm the house. Soon, it will be too cold for this to be effective, but it's enjoyable while it lasts.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1466 on: October 28, 2022, 10:47:45 PM »
After persistently adding money to our investment account every month, and patiently waiting, our investment account balance is finally higher than its last peak in December 2021.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1467 on: October 29, 2022, 06:39:58 PM »
Hey, @Freedomin5 that's a great milestone!

My happiness today was trying a new coffee shop. It's not going to be in my usual rotation, but nice to finally try it. The last two tries it was closed.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1468 on: November 07, 2022, 07:18:59 AM »
Hiking

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1469 on: November 07, 2022, 05:20:42 PM »
My mother gave me a vintage, black wool coat with a lambskin collar--claiming she could never wear it in the country.

Today was cold and blustery so I layered the somewhat elegant, vintage coat over some winter sportswear and went for a 9km tromp. It was funny how different it felt. I ran into a friend who was wearing a rather dapper outfit and when my partner came up to us, even he commented how uncharactisterally stylish we were both looking for a casual, chilly walk around town.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 06:44:28 PM by Serendip »

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1470 on: November 07, 2022, 06:36:46 PM »
Creatine has given me way more physical and mental energy than I expected. I wish I knew about this stuff years ago.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1471 on: November 07, 2022, 07:10:31 PM »
Creatine has given me way more physical and mental energy than I expected. I wish I knew about this stuff years ago.

Careful. There is a massive creatine shortage at the moment, which means a much higher probability of contamination with cheap active ingredients.

Supplements are generally unregulated and almost never tested, and when they are, all sorts of shit can be found in them, like chinese basement lab versions of pharmaceuticals.

I'm *extremely* wary of supplements that are in a global shortage.

If you're feeling a major burst of energy, there's a more than non-zero chance that your powder is contaminated with stimulants.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1472 on: November 07, 2022, 07:24:25 PM »

Careful. There is a massive creatine shortage at the moment, which means a much higher probability of contamination with cheap active ingredients.

Supplements are generally unregulated and almost never tested, and when they are, all sorts of shit can be found in them, like chinese basement lab versions of pharmaceuticals.

If you're feeling a major burst of energy, there's a more than non-zero chance that your powder is contaminated with stimulants.

Noted.

There was no initial burst of energy. It took 2-3 days for it start to take effect and has ramped up from there. I can run farther, lift weights longer, and have more mental energy.

This makes me wonder if there are any third party certification programs available or something for supplements.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1473 on: November 07, 2022, 11:28:39 PM »
On a walk today with BF, he admitted he was low on energy and motivation and wouldn't have gone on the walk if I hadn't prompted him. *I* wouldn't have gone on the walk if our history didn't include daily lunchtime walks, largely initiated by him. Felt good to be the one initiating the healthy habit for a change :)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1474 on: November 08, 2022, 06:24:58 AM »

Noted.

There was no initial burst of energy. It took 2-3 days for it start to take effect and has ramped up from there. I can run farther, lift weights longer, and have more mental energy.

This makes me wonder if there are any third party certification programs available or something for supplements.

Welcome to a new sinkhole of research. I think you will enjoy learning about the cluster fuck that is the supplement world.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1475 on: November 10, 2022, 04:13:38 PM »
A friend of mine send me a 45second video of the view from her window while she practiced piano..
She is uncomfortable playing in front of people so this is part of her 'exposure therapy' to embrace the challenge & inevitable mistakes. I felt honoured to listen to it and it was lovely.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1476 on: November 10, 2022, 10:05:16 PM »
Aww, @Serendip it's sweet that you can help her :)

TIL that rolled oats don't need to be cooked. Just soaking in boiling water for a few minutes is enough. Since I don't have a dishwasher, I don't have to get both a pot and a bowl dirty for breakfast. I suspect this will make me happy for multiple days.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1477 on: November 11, 2022, 01:40:45 AM »
I am very very happy to read the following news today:

Chinese health authorities on Friday eased some of the country's heavy COVID-19 curbs, including shortening by two days quarantine times for close contacts of cases and inbound travellers, and Ends Flight Suspensions.

No more flight suspensions = more flights = not having to pay $5000 for a round trip ticket home next summer

elderflower100

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1478 on: November 11, 2022, 08:19:33 AM »
Took my 14 yo pup out for his daily the other day and he was romping and running about in the snow like a young pup, and his red boots stayed on! He loves the snow and it was fun to see him so happy and energized.

@curious_george your woodlands adventure with your son made me feel happy!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1479 on: November 16, 2022, 08:25:02 PM »
My life hasn't been great lately and yesterday kind of sucked (demented mother went nuts at a doctor's appointment and ended up in ER for no good reason; daughter went to urgent care with suspected broken arm) but I had a sandwich generation kind of happiness in that I actually got to clean our bathrooms in the morning before things went sideways.  Now they are not gross!  Now when I go in to the bathroom, instead of seeing one more thing to do, I feel like I have a moment of peace.

I lost my credit card in the store today and was panicking because I was also late to pick up kids from school; but then I remembered that they had an after school program today and so I turned around, went back to the store, and found that a Good Samaritan had brought the card to the  customer service desk. And I wasn't late for pickup, I was early. Yayyy!!!

I'm also in bed two hours earlier than I usually am, and there doesn't seem to be any pressing work to keep me up. I took some cough syrup for my cough and it's making me pleasantly sleepy. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1480 on: November 17, 2022, 12:52:17 AM »
@Poundwise I am happy for you getting some moments of peace during your hectic time.

Today I was happy for no discernable reason.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1481 on: November 19, 2022, 06:30:08 AM »
Downloading maps for a hike with friends

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1482 on: November 19, 2022, 09:19:57 AM »

TIL that rolled oats don't need to be cooked. Just soaking in boiling water for a few minutes is enough. Since I don't have a dishwasher, I don't have to get both a pot and a bowl dirty for breakfast. I suspect this will make me happy for multiple days.
For ten years, DH ate oatmeal for breakfast every work day. I found a small, deep, heavy bowl. I'd dump the oats in at night, add water and place it in the microwave. In the morning (4:45am, to be exact), I'd push a button and presto, oatmeal! The bowl stayed warm, so it was easy to wash. Lather,, rinse, repeat.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1483 on: November 19, 2022, 08:08:29 PM »

For ten years, DH ate oatmeal for breakfast every work day. I found a small, deep, heavy bowl. I'd dump the oats in at night, add water and place it in the microwave. In the morning (4:45am, to be exact), I'd push a button and presto, oatmeal! The bowl stayed warm, so it was easy to wash. Lather,, rinse, repeat.

Great hack! Hot breakfast is great in the winter. I wondered: what is the difference between the rolled oats in the instant packets and the rolled oats in the bag of "regular" oatmeal? Turns out, not much.

Today's happiness was talking to BF about something that was hard for me to say, even though it's objectively kind of a trivial thing. For me, it's a loaded topic somehow. Anyway, did the thing and think that was really heathy both for our relationship and me personally. Yay!

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1484 on: November 20, 2022, 06:52:21 AM »
Hiking with friends

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1485 on: November 20, 2022, 11:52:42 AM »
Got in a (weekend) early morning workout, and felt amazing afterward. So. Sweaty. All the endorphins.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1486 on: November 22, 2022, 12:28:27 AM »
Seeing my kitty in the window make a dash for the door as I walked up the front steps

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1487 on: November 22, 2022, 03:35:19 AM »
Aw, @oneday, that's so cute!

My house is now a lot, OK, let's be honest, a bit cleaner than it was, and it has made me feel better. (Who'd have guessed it, right?)

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1488 on: November 22, 2022, 06:25:49 AM »
Aw, @oneday, that's so cute!

My house is now a lot, OK, let's be honest, a bit cleaner than it was, and it has made me feel better. (Who'd have guessed it, right?)

I will second this. I am off work this week and find myself cleaning the house, which makes me a lot happier than you would think. :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1489 on: November 22, 2022, 01:42:10 PM »
Another great workout. I was in a real funk yesterday, as I was trying to have a "rest" day. I need to find a way to improve my mood on lower activity workout days, while still giving my body a break.

Other happiness moments: high school soccer is kicking off, and I'm excited to see my old (parent) friends, and watch the kids. Love the energy at the school, especially since COVID was a real reminder of how much the kids need that time together. So very happy for each sports season that happens, and every day of in person learning (& socialization)!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1490 on: November 23, 2022, 10:08:05 PM »
Finally planning a trip outside of the city...after three long years of no travel. Hoping to see friends that we have not seen in person since 2019.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1491 on: November 24, 2022, 12:06:41 AM »
Finally planning a trip outside of the city...after three long years of no travel. Hoping to see friends that we have not seen in person since 2019.
Safe travels!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1492 on: November 24, 2022, 11:29:29 AM »
Family holiday celebration today. Get to see some folks who I haven't seen since the beforetimes! ☺️

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1493 on: November 24, 2022, 11:31:12 AM »
Ran a turkey trot with my husband & kids this am. Grateful we are all healthy enough to do the run together. And, double bonus points for my 16 y.o., who graciously waited for me near the finish line, to cheer me on. (I was the last one to finish. I can't compete with the teens. ;-))

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1494 on: November 25, 2022, 09:24:36 PM »
Mom's cat, who was hissing at me yesterday, purred for me today.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #1495 on: November 26, 2022, 01:57:48 PM »
The color of this 10 bean mix and cool weather so I can start batch cooking again.

last year for thanksgiving my sister cooked a honey baked ham. As they were cleaning up and about to throw out the bone with a bunch of meat on it I snagged it before they could toss it.

They looked at me like I was crazy and made fun of me but it made the best ham and bean soup I have ever had.

This year they made TWO hams! So now I have 2 ham bones and 3.5 lbs of ham that are being made into amazing soup instead of going to the rubbish bin.

Total yield will be 38 20oz servings!

And bonus the house is toasty warm and it smells great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1496 on: November 26, 2022, 04:45:09 PM »
Unexpected nice weather, and a walk in a new area

@the_fixer make my tomorrow, and send me some ham bean soup 😁

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1497 on: November 26, 2022, 09:37:19 PM »
Mom's cat, who was hissing at me yesterday, purred for me today.

that's always a nice moment isn't it?!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1498 on: November 26, 2022, 09:39:02 PM »
Yesterday a coworker mentioned to me that I was singing as I was walking into work..I had no idea what she was talking about and she said 'you are so happy that you don't even realize that you are happy'. And that was at the start of a big shift, so that was nice..

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1499 on: November 27, 2022, 01:46:26 PM »
Scheduled dinner with an old friend. Listened to a stimulating podcast.