Author Topic: Happiness challenge  (Read 165529 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: Happiness challenge
« Reply #850 on: September 17, 2021, 01:40:00 AM »
@lazycow's day sounds ideal.

Today's happiness is the return of click and collect to the libraries!

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #851 on: September 17, 2021, 03:28:07 AM »
Thinks are a bit bleak in my head today - I think I need a break from the news for a while - but reading everyone's happiness updates has helped, so thank you all.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #852 on: September 17, 2021, 03:31:35 AM »
Glorious day today weather-wise — 25C and sunny with just a bit of a breeze. I got my 10k steps in while DD played at the playground with several of her neighborhood friends.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #853 on: September 17, 2021, 04:42:27 AM »
Visited an old friend and her husband in another city.  We all went on a walk sponsored by a local museum focusing on a prominent local architect.  She gifted me with five moon cakes, warm from the oven, to celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #854 on: September 17, 2021, 09:04:44 AM »
Finally accomplished an alpine hike that has been on my 'hiking wish-list' for years. It was a cold, clear, brilliant day and my friend & I were in great spirits.

In contrast today it is absolutely pouring rain, so I feel like we snuck that in on one of the last perfect hiking days before snow arrives in the mountains (there was a dusting which created a sparkling effect all morning)

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #855 on: September 17, 2021, 10:15:16 AM »
A rather silly happiness today:

I used to love Green Giant corn tots, but they were discontinued. I cleaned out the garage freezer last night in preparation to recycle it, and found a bag of them that I didn't know we had. I was worried they'd be freezer burned, but I just made some, and they're just as delicious as ever!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #856 on: September 17, 2021, 08:20:49 PM »
Went for a long walk with a friend this morning. It was just what I needed.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #857 on: September 17, 2021, 09:55:25 PM »
Walked to the grocery store with BF. He initially had asked, "who will drive?" But I said I'd prefer to walk, and he said he'd actually prefer that too. I love that we support each other in being slightly more active & slightly less damaging to the environment!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #858 on: September 18, 2021, 03:24:34 AM »
5 AM bike ride this morning — it was so quiet and peaceful, even though I was riding in a city with a population of 30 million. Once DD and DH woke up, we went on a family bike ride by the river.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #859 on: September 18, 2021, 03:58:23 PM »
Sister called unexpectedly and we had a nice chat

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #860 on: September 18, 2021, 04:16:23 PM »
Making dinner, with a lot of ingredients from the garden. A chimichurri sauce (parsley, oregano, cilantro, jalapenos) & a caprese salad (tomatoes, basil).

My 14 y.o's son's first "job" (ref'ing a soccer game). It was very cool to see him out on his own, excited to earn some money.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #861 on: September 18, 2021, 08:47:38 PM »
I made some vegan soup with miscellaneous ingredients I had on hand - a small butternut squash, some leftover canned pumpkin, frozen corn, a carrot, an onion, cashew milk, and seasonings - which turned out way better than I expected.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #862 on: September 19, 2021, 03:05:37 AM »
Hubs is away visiting his parents, I am having a lovely, lazy weekend. Knitting, reading, catching up on some TV. I slept in til 9 two days running and it was glorious!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #863 on: September 19, 2021, 08:41:50 AM »
@MarcherLady - that sounds fabulous!

I have two teen boys (near 15 & 16). They've always gotten along well, but COVID & staying home together for 18+ months really changed that (plus, maybe just general age). Yesterday for the first time in so long, they played a game together & had a great time. They were laughing & giggling & generally full of shenanigans when I went to bed. It made me so happy.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #864 on: September 19, 2021, 11:48:02 AM »
More happiness yesterday: I'd invited BF along to what is becoming my normal Saturday morning rounds: library and coffee shop. He initially said yes, but when the time came to leave the house 1.5 hours later, he'd changed his mind. This was no problem, because I hadn't adjusted my plans in any way to accommodate him.

This is personal growth. In the past, I would have made some compromises on my plans specifically to include others, then be disappointed when they weren't as committed to *my* plan and bowed out. So. Happiness on two levels: the activity itself, and the maturity in handling the circumstances!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #865 on: September 19, 2021, 05:53:17 PM »
Some friends are feeling upset about the quick change of weather we are experiencing where I live (temperatures have dropped substantially) and I've realized that I have no problem with it. Still getting outside but bringing along rain gear & an umbrella.

In fact, I am relishing the cool grey days. Soup weather!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #866 on: September 19, 2021, 07:25:08 PM »
@oneday high fives for progress

Today's happiness is my new dress is exactly what I was hoping for PLUS it's made from upcycled materials - a linen duvet cover & a pair of laces from a discarded pair of shoes.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #867 on: September 19, 2021, 10:26:27 PM »
@Serendip I love soup!

@mspym high five back atcha for the dress!

Today's happiness-in-a-vignette was starting a new knitting project and learning 2 new techniques for the starting bit. And using yarn that's been patiently sitting around waiting for it's turn to be turned into a project :)

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #868 on: September 21, 2021, 08:38:45 AM »
Went for a spontaneous late season bike ride… one of those hey what do you want to do today days where you just pick a route and it turns into an epic ride.

Along our journey we passed through a town holding a farmers market and scored lunch to eat along our ride.

Amazing weather, sitting by the lake all by ourselves eating a fresh lunch with the best palisade peaches I have ever had with my favorite person.

Looking forward to retirement so we can have more spontaneous days like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #869 on: September 23, 2021, 02:29:13 AM »
Perfectly timed for the equinox, autumnal weather blew in last night. I'm not thrilled by the thought of winter, but snuggling down under the duvet listening to the wind and the rain was so cozy.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #870 on: September 23, 2021, 03:44:45 AM »
Perfectly timed for the equinox, autumnal weather blew in last night. I'm not thrilled by the thought of winter, but snuggling down under the duvet listening to the wind and the rain was so cozy.

Exact same thing happened here!  Storm blew in right on the equinox with wind and cold rain.  It was a super cozy day to be inside.   

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #871 on: September 23, 2021, 04:26:55 PM »
@the_fixer that bike ride sounds amazing!

@MarcherLady and @Trifele I'm a tiny bit jealous that you have soup weather.

Happy that I've done all my PT exercises for two days in a row, and reached out to the therapist when one of them wasn't working. Rather than just giving up on the whole thing.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #872 on: September 23, 2021, 04:32:00 PM »
That looks so beautiful @the_fixer

I went for a gorgeous walk this morning. Work has been really stressful, but I've kept up with my morning workouts, & it's helping with stress management. It's not great still, but it's truly very helpful for my own well being.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #873 on: September 23, 2021, 05:01:24 PM »
That looks so beautiful @the_fixer

I went for a gorgeous walk this morning. Work has been really stressful, but I've kept up with my morning workouts, & it's helping with stress management. It's not great still, but it's truly very helpful for my own well being.
Good job on keeping up with the walks I have found that exercise is the only thing that really alleviates stress for me.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #874 on: September 23, 2021, 05:06:21 PM »
@oneday nice work on the PT exercises.
@MaybeBabyMustache you are rocking it. Remember, anything more than zero is a VICTORY.

Today my stomach has finally recovered from codeine two days ago and I could have a coffee this morning. I did my physio exercises and the library just sent me a message that I have a book to pick up - The Jane Austen Diet - which will take care of my Going For a Walk goal.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #875 on: September 23, 2021, 09:03:30 PM »
Treated my DD21 and DS18 to fish and chips and pineapple fritters on the beach in the nearest tourist town. We are so fortunate we live in regional Vic, as I know all my locked down Melbourne friends would give anything to be able to travel here. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #876 on: September 23, 2021, 09:11:18 PM »
Treated my DD21 and DS18 to fish and chips and pineapple fritters on the beach in the nearest tourist town. We are so fortunate we live in regional Vic, as I know all my locked down Melbourne friends would give anything to be able to travel here.
I am SO JEALOUS! We are *not* within 5km of a beach, which is becoming increasingly unfair as the weather heats up.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #877 on: September 24, 2021, 09:13:44 AM »
I had some peaceful time alone yesterday, while two kids were out at soccer, & my husband was chauffeuring. Time alone is pretty rare these days. I sat in the shade by the pool & read my book. It was total bliss.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
Happiness challenge
« Reply #878 on: September 24, 2021, 06:36:25 PM »
Thankful for another great ride with my favorite person. We were at about 9500 ft in elevation and the leaves were starting to change.

We came across a stream and watched the brook trout for a bit, came across multiple deer including a couple of pairs of does with fawns.

Steep and rough ride but so much beauty

« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 06:39:36 PM by the_fixer »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #879 on: September 25, 2021, 01:10:22 PM »
I need to be part of this challenge!  A couple of months ago I realized that I have been doing nothing for myself, so I made a Duolingo account and have been learning some languages.I just completed a 50 day streak!

I think I would like to spend a little time every day gardening, as well. Being outside is healing.  I'll plant some Joe Pye seeds that a friend gifted me today.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #880 on: September 25, 2021, 04:16:33 PM »
@Poundwise it makes me happy that folks are still joining the ranks here! Love getting a peek into other's happiness.

Yesterday spent the evening with 5 of my closest family members who I don't see nearly enough these days. So nice to catch up.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #881 on: September 25, 2021, 06:28:41 PM »
@oneday nice work on the PT exercises.
@MaybeBabyMustache you are rocking it. Remember, anything more than zero is a VICTORY.

... the library just sent me a message that I have a book to pick up - The Jane Austen Diet - which will take care of my Going For a Walk goal.

This is a fun book! I found it as an audiobook from my library and have been enjoying it. I imagine that the jokes really only resonate with Austen lovers but I'm entertained :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #882 on: September 25, 2021, 06:30:07 PM »
Have bundled my shifts at work so that I have big chunks of time off each week--which means I've been working on some art projects and now closing up the garden. So nice to feel time-affluent :)

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #883 on: September 25, 2021, 09:31:18 PM »
It's my anniversary today. My mom took the kids for the day and my husband and I were able to go out for a nice dinner, plus get a lot done around the house (we're getting ready to move so there's a ton to do).

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #884 on: September 25, 2021, 10:11:14 PM »
Today's happiness was getting to the library to pick up a movie on hold, which I expected, and finding a book I'd been waiting for, which was unexpected! Woo!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #885 on: September 26, 2021, 02:20:01 AM »
The book I placed on hold in July is finally available. I was something like 60th in line for one copy, but then the library bought 15 more copies, and now it’s my turn to read it!

Also, DD and I had a lovely time making an olive oil cake using our homemade yogurt. Our apartment smells delicious now.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #886 on: September 26, 2021, 05:29:17 PM »
Today's happiness was ... I've been taking better care of myself physically and mentally and I felt awesome for no particular reason!  I was driving the 1 hour trip to visit my Mom this morning and realized that I just felt terrific.  I tried to really savor that feeling throughout the drive.

Thank you for sharing the stunning photos of your ride @the_fixer !

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #887 on: September 26, 2021, 06:50:14 PM »
The house smells so good right now. My SO is making dinner, it's raining outside and we have friends coming for dinner. Feels cozy!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #888 on: September 26, 2021, 07:00:49 PM »
@the_fixer thanks for sharing your ride, we are in lockdown now so I am living vicariously through others.
@Serendip your evening sounds splendid.
@Beardog that's great stuff and impressive that you noticed it while in the glow
@oneday and @Freedomin5 libraries are the best, ours have finally started issuing books again and the feeling of getting to pick up a book for free? brilliant!
@nessness I hope you had a splendid anniversary.

- I've read three great books in a row and now I get to return them to the library so someone else can enjoy them
- The feeling of introducing someone to one of your favourite authors and they like them as much as you do
- I have two tiny missions which means I get to ride my bike

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #889 on: September 26, 2021, 10:15:23 PM »
Many happinesses today:

-leisurely morning
-a different mix of hobby friends at this week's meet-up (more of my favorites!)
-meet up with two cousins for a relaxing late afternoon/early evening
-a package I've been waiting for arrived
-another order finally shipped!
-barely any Sunday Evening Dread

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #890 on: September 26, 2021, 10:56:49 PM »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #891 on: September 27, 2021, 11:22:07 AM »
Many happinesses today:

-leisurely morning
-a different mix of hobby friends at this week's meet-up (more of my favorites!)
-meet up with two cousins for a relaxing late afternoon/early evening
-a package I've been waiting for arrived
-another order finally shipped!
-barely any Sunday Evening Dread

@oneday Thanks for welcoming me to the thread!! And congratulations on your happy, (almost) dread free Sunday!

It is a beautiful day. I will teach my daughter how to play hopscotch today!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #892 on: September 27, 2021, 12:10:37 PM »
Today's happiness was getting my heat pump fixed, which both heats and cools the upstairs. Just in time for pleasant fall weather that doesn't require heat or AC lol.

But part of the happiness is being in a financial position where an unexpected $700 expense is just "ugh" rather than something devastating where we're scrambling to figure out how to pay it. That is one of the biggest benefits to me of living below our means.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #893 on: September 27, 2021, 07:29:12 PM »
@deborah woo hoo!

@Poundwise thank you!

@nessness meta-happiness :)

The package that shipped yesterday was stalled, but is moving again. I will probably get a lot of happiness from watching it move ever closer. It has to cross the entire country at this point.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #894 on: September 27, 2021, 07:47:33 PM »
New running shoes! 👟🏃‍♀️👌

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #895 on: September 27, 2021, 08:03:54 PM »
@mspym - yes, new running shoes are the best!

Two things:
1) my son is currently outside repairing his bike. It makes me really happy that he is so self sufficient (and, self taught). He plans to work in a bike shop next year when he can drive, so it's good to get extra practice.
2) I finished a really hard meeting today, and it went pretty well. Round two of it is tomorrow, and then I will largely be able to refocus on my "normal" work again. Hurrah.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #896 on: September 28, 2021, 10:20:19 AM »
Another day off with zero plans (except things I'm mostly eager to do).

I woke up in the middle of the night with bad dreams. I had agreed to marry someone from my childhood--it was distressing b/c it was exactly how I DIDN'T want my life to turn out. Very relieving to wake up beside someone who I chose willingly and in a life I am happy to be inhabiting. Appreciation level= high.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #897 on: September 29, 2021, 01:08:33 PM »
Today I had a happiness at work.  I'm working on a sub-project of a larger project that my manager (who I like and respect) is leading.  I thought of something significant that could impact the project that my manager had not thought of, and which really needs to be investigated.  Since I've been a little rusty in my Zoom communication skills in some group meetings, I am pleased that I am able to make a significant contribution to the project by being thoughtful about my work instead of just coasting along.  And I hope to improve in those Zoom meetings with some more practice. 

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #898 on: September 29, 2021, 06:58:51 PM »
Today I'm relieved to finally mail an artwork to Japan for a show after weeks of challenges with local companies. Finally setting up a FedEx acct which feels like a step in the right direction to better mail my artwork (much larger dimensions possible than w/the post)

Very much looking forward to a picnic by Victoria Harbour tonight with friends before seeing a show another friend is running, and tomorrow's day-long junk [boat] trip followed by art opening to see friends' artworks will be an enjoyable distraction from the political overtones of our 'National Day holiday'.

There've been discussions of a large, well-funded art project in Greece and HK for next summer which has given me some hope after this year's extremely challenging DIY one which I barely managed to pull off.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #899 on: September 29, 2021, 10:29:40 PM »
I also had a work happiness. Have some useful things to do. A couple weeks back I was under utilized and had a lot of free time, leading to an almost existential crisis. Happy to be busy (but not too busy).

Also, the package I'm watching is in my city! It's almost here already, woo hoo!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!