Author Topic: Happiness challenge  (Read 165563 times)

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
Re: Happiness challenge
« Reply #800 on: September 01, 2021, 07:41:07 AM »
I have had some really good quality sleep for the last few nights. The frustrating thing is I can't pin-point any behaviours that are different between the good nights and the crappy nights. But I'll take it as a win.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #801 on: September 01, 2021, 07:44:00 AM »
Here’s to good sleep!  So lovely. 

My happiness from this morning is I sold two dozen eggs from our chickens to one of my neighbors who’s a regular customer.  She always gives me back the cartons so I don’t have to buy more. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #802 on: September 01, 2021, 08:55:05 AM »
Walked to work yesterday, listening to familiar music and enjoying a light drizzle of rain. Felt generally contented (and a lightness of being).

The changing of seasons hasn't brought angst and I'm in a good place with my routine, relationships and inner work. There are many stressors affecting folks right now and I feel fortunate to be in a situation that is working for me.

Also grateful for a SO who likes to cook, guests who are beyond generous ( dinners & sourdough donuts), and another friend with a 4x4 truck who drove us up a gnarly forestry road to be able to do a hike (one which was on my hiking bucket list for years!)

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #803 on: September 01, 2021, 10:35:34 AM »
After several smoky days, the air is finally clear(ish). I took an evening walk yesterday which felt great - being trapped inside really affects my mood.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #804 on: September 01, 2021, 11:09:01 PM »
Thank you @SquashingDebt for reviving this thread! I was happy to see it!

Today's happiness was getting started on a scanning project: going to scan a bunch of old documents and photos and reduce my possessions by about 6 boxes worth. It's daunting, but good to get started.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #805 on: September 02, 2021, 08:41:56 PM »
I made my first-ever batch of homemade popsicles. They are tasty!

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #806 on: September 02, 2021, 09:28:40 PM »
It was a sublimely sunny start to Spring so my DS18 and I took the dog for a beach walk and swim. So thankful he still wants to hang out with me sometimes, and is coping with the shitty Yr 12 year in lockdown.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #807 on: September 02, 2021, 09:39:04 PM »
It was a sublimely sunny start to Spring so my DS18 and I took the dog for a beach walk and swim. So thankful he still wants to hang out with me sometimes, and is coping with the shitty Yr 12 year in lockdown.
That's really good!

Today's happiness was riding my bike to the grocery store and on the way home having the thought "I might never have to go to work again" pop into my head.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #808 on: September 03, 2021, 12:39:24 PM »
I got to see owls and an eagle today.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #809 on: September 05, 2021, 02:51:33 AM »
I’m working on a gorgeous painting of an autumn deciduous forest scene. I haven’t seen a Canadian autumn with its riotous colors in real life for over 8 years, so I’m enjoying this little memento of home.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #810 on: September 05, 2021, 06:36:17 AM »
I got engaged last night!!!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #811 on: September 05, 2021, 06:51:40 AM »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #812 on: September 05, 2021, 07:27:29 AM »
I got engaged last night!!!

Huge congrats!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #813 on: September 06, 2021, 04:12:03 PM »
Congrats @SquashingDebt , all the best to you and your fiance!

Walked 4 hours over the last few days and my knee held up. Yay!

Also, the cross-legged owl.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #814 on: September 06, 2021, 06:10:46 PM »
After 5 days, the flash flood remnants of Ida finally left my basement today. It was so nice to empty the backup (yes, I have 2 for a small house) dehumidifier and not smell any lingering musty or moldy odors. Basement is my craft studio so now I can get back to making things.
Also, college kiddo came home for the long weekend and we did a lot of bonding activities!!!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #815 on: September 06, 2021, 06:41:26 PM »
Congrats on engagements, long walks without knee pain, and the end of Ida & flooding!

Mine is way smaller, but cut cilantro from a potted plant for dinner tonight. That amazing smell!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #816 on: September 07, 2021, 03:38:42 AM »
Thanks, all!  I'm super excited!  Today's happiness is getting to tell my coworkers about my engagement :)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #817 on: September 07, 2021, 04:32:54 AM »
Thanks, all!  I'm super excited!  Today's happiness is getting to tell my coworkers about my engagement :)
BRILLIANT!

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #818 on: September 07, 2021, 04:45:06 AM »
Congratulations @SquashingDebt

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: September 10, 2021, 11:13:26 AM »
It's raining! Not enough to end the fire season or make a dent in the drought, but it's a start anyway, and the air feels so fresh and clean.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #820 on: September 10, 2021, 12:18:42 PM »

Adding to all the congratulations!!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #821 on: September 10, 2021, 12:21:29 PM »
Caught a barred owl feeding on a bunny yesterday.
It was wild and majestic, especially as it was in full predator mode and ruffled its feathers up into a wild shape.
It's a trail I've walked many times before but this was a totally different experience to see close-up.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #822 on: September 10, 2021, 02:14:34 PM »
Oh wow, @Serendip that sounds so cool.

On the other hand, my happiness today is I did a chore. The thing that I wanted to scrub had been sitting mocking me for several days, so glad to have that out of sight (and clean) again. Plus, it was clogging up my energy pipeline with guilt and causing other things to go un-done and bringing on a depression. I'm so glad I can identify these things now, even if it still take me some time to clear the block.

Yesterday was a more positive happiness...I voted!

Rusted Rose

• Stubble
« Reply #823 on: September 10, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »
The best little happiness today is cooking up some bison burgers that I got for $5 a pound. Seasoned them with Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle.

The other one is that I think I finally got rid of all the wasps that have been getting inside over the past week. Been vacuuming about one or two a day. :P  Sorry, wasps. You haven't been very aggressive but I don't want you in my personal space, please and thank you. Well, OK, I did manage to shoo one out peacefully.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 05:05:38 PM by Rusted Rose »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #824 on: September 10, 2021, 08:36:25 PM »
We had a mouse and our dog* caught and killed it. All that lizard pouncing in the front yard paid off.

*Half staffy so she comes by the rodent killing naturally

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #825 on: September 11, 2021, 04:59:59 AM »
Finished a cheery painting that will grace my windowless office at work.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #826 on: September 11, 2021, 07:49:19 AM »
A deep, dreamless sleep. woke up naturally alert at 6:15..
(must continue with my quest to reduce alcohol consumption..this is always the first positive change I notice!)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #827 on: September 11, 2021, 09:58:34 AM »
A deep, dreamless sleep. woke up naturally alert at 6:15..
(must continue with my quest to reduce alcohol consumption..this is always the first positive change I notice!)

Oh I miss dreamless sleep. I'm on a new medication whose main side effect is insane dreams. I've just gotten used to them, but for someone who almost never remembered dreams and virtually always had very mundane work dreams, this new ultra intense, ultra vivid cinematic experience I come out of every morning has been a little extra for my taste.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #828 on: September 12, 2021, 12:24:15 AM »
Malcat, I'm sorry your subconscious is trolling you.

Today's happiness was re-watching Office Space with my boyfriend. Ok, so it doesn't pass the Bechdel test; my standards have changed since 1999. But this movie is *so* quotable, that BF and I expanded out shared vocabulary. 😄

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #829 on: September 12, 2021, 05:05:10 AM »

Today's happiness was re-watching Office Space with my boyfriend. Ok, so it doesn't pass the Bechdel test; my standards have changed since 1999. But this movie is *so* quotable, that BF and I expanded out shared vocabulary. 😄

They not bad dreams, just very, very intensely vivid. I wake up shaking my head thinking "what the fuck even was that?"

I am getting used to it, and DH is enjoying the daily recaps.

It's just intensely strange for someone who normally has such pedestrian dreams. Up until now my dreams almost entirely consisted of trying to do something mundane and not being able to.

Now it's like nightly Alice in Wonderland shit.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #830 on: September 12, 2021, 06:45:10 AM »

They not bad dreams, just very, very intensely vivid. I wake up shaking my head thinking "what the fuck even was that?"

I am getting used to it, and DH is enjoying the daily recaps.

It's just intensely strange for someone who normally has such pedestrian dreams. Up until now my dreams almost entirely consisted of trying to do something mundane and not being able to.

Now it's like nightly Alice in Wonderland shit.

My new-ish medication also gives me vivid dreams.  I find them a little tiring, but they're not terrible.  Last night I dreamed I moved to an oceanfront city and was riding a flying school bus and could see dolphins swimming as we flew over the ocean on the way to the school.  That was one of the better ones.  The night before I dreamed that my father was a cannibal and I was helping him vacuum-pack and freeze meat.  Gross.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #831 on: September 12, 2021, 06:49:52 AM »
I'm beginning to build a social network here in this village (we have just passed the 2nd anniversary of when we moved cross-country). One of the ladies at the first WI meeting I went to this week was someone I visited when I was playing Easter bunny Santa's little helper as part of our COVID support team. When I went to Yoga this week my neighbour was the person opening up the community centre for the teacher. It is nice to go places and see people I know - even just a little bit.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 06:51:48 AM by MarcherLady »

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #832 on: September 12, 2021, 10:24:46 AM »
My husband has to travel for work about once a month. I get major anxiety being home overnight without him, due to an ongoing issue with someone harassing us (vandalizing our home and my car, making threats against us, stealing our mail, banging on our door late at night, etc.). Well, we just made it through what should be his last trip before we move!

We're under contract on an awesome new house, and yesterday a neighbor held a potluck to welcome families who are moving in or recently moved. It was really nice - everyone was friendly and welcoming, and my kids are more excited about the move after befriending a neighbor's dog lol.

tungu2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #833 on: September 12, 2021, 12:59:03 PM »
Found some expired yogurt in the fridge. Used it as an excuse to treat myself with homemade pancakes. They turned out alright and cooking was fun.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #834 on: September 12, 2021, 02:04:47 PM »
I was mentioning to my SO that we need to increase the 'fun factor' in certain aspects of our life (he's a slight workaholic)-- within an hour he came home with a gigantic cinnamon bun for me. This simple thing made me quite happy.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #835 on: September 12, 2021, 07:49:02 PM »
Went to a cheese festival today!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #836 on: September 12, 2021, 11:09:33 PM »
@nessness I'm glad your getting away from the harassment!

Today's meeting with my hobby friends was so much fun. Everyone was loose and joyful and we made outrageous claims and laughed a lot.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #837 on: September 12, 2021, 11:20:57 PM »
I am loving everyone's updates
: D

Mine is both boys have appointments for their COVID vax and should be fully vaccinated by the time in-person schooling opens up again. PHEW!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #838 on: September 13, 2021, 02:19:56 AM »
Oohh...cinnamon buns! I need to make cinnamon buns tomorrow morning. We are currently on a stay-at-home order since typhoon is scheduled to land sometime tonight/tomorrow morning. It’s overcast, the wind is whipping around outside, and it’s rainy. Perfect weather for cinnamon buns! Thanks for the inspiration!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #839 on: September 13, 2021, 10:05:17 AM »
Found some expired yogurt in the fridge. Used it as an excuse to treat myself with homemade pancakes. They turned out alright and cooking was fun.

From what I've seen, yogurt is generally good for as long as it's not moldy.  It's already spoiled, right?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #840 on: September 13, 2021, 10:35:30 AM »
Oohh...cinnamon buns! I need to make cinnamon buns tomorrow morning. We are currently on a stay-at-home order since typhoon is scheduled to land sometime tonight/tomorrow morning. It’s overcast, the wind is whipping around outside, and it’s rainy. Perfect weather for cinnamon buns! Thanks for the inspiration!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed mine, stay safe :)

@nessness --glad you are soon heading into a more peaceful place with your family!

Today's happiness is a day off with no plans but perhaps some music, coffee, art-ing & potentially jumping into a lake even though it's cloudy

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #841 on: September 14, 2021, 02:19:16 AM »
Cinnamon buns turned out beautifully. Didn’t have brown sugar so I used honey instead. They were sticky and delicious!

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #842 on: September 14, 2021, 02:41:39 AM »
Cinnamon buns turned out beautifully. Didn’t have brown sugar so I used honey instead. They were sticky and delicious!

Yum, that sounds delicious!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #843 on: September 14, 2021, 07:49:18 PM »
Added kidney beans to my chili this time (just haven't happened to have them on hand recently), and it just tastes so much more *right* than black beans. A very pleasant lunch :)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #844 on: September 14, 2021, 08:27:41 PM »
Was feeling a little overwhelmed by my sewing project and thought "what is the very smallest thing I could do that would feel like progress?" Once I finished ironing the side seams, it was easy to move on to stitching down facing and start on the pockets. No more zero!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #845 on: September 15, 2021, 09:23:12 AM »
Even though vaccine passports are controversial, the benefits are real-- my SO finally felt comfortable going into a movie theatre. It was cheap night so we enjoyed popcorn & watched a ridiculous film (Free Guy) on the big screen for the first time in eons. There weren't that many people in the theatre either.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #846 on: September 15, 2021, 07:36:08 PM »
Morning dip in the ocean with a dear friend, sunny day to hang washing put on the line, and a koala visiting in the backyard trees.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #847 on: September 16, 2021, 07:23:27 AM »
Opening the kitchen cupboard with low expectations but quickly establishing there was one of my favourite chocolate bars left after all. Mmmm delicious!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #848 on: September 16, 2021, 10:33:51 PM »
@Serendip that was a fun movie! I happen to live near a drive-in theater and so saw it there. A safe-feeling alternative.

Today's happiness was completing 3' of scarf...I've been working on it for a week or so. But this milestone means I allowed myself to buy more yarn, so I've got a fun surprise coming in the mail in another week or so! Motivation to finish this scarf, too.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #849 on: September 16, 2021, 10:35:23 PM »
Morning dip in the ocean with a dear friend, sunny day to hang washing put on the line, and a koala visiting in the backyard trees.
This post is making me want to move to Australia! Sounds lovely!