Author Topic: Happiness challenge  (Read 165782 times)

Zhiantara

• Bristles
Re: Happiness challenge
« Reply #600 on: June 05, 2021, 05:54:59 AM »
It's a wet and windy night and I'm snuggled up warm on the couch... Happy and grateful :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #601 on: June 06, 2021, 10:41:12 AM »
Yesterday, had the house to myself for most of the day. It was lovely just to putter and do whatever, without anyone else to consider.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #602 on: June 06, 2021, 02:08:25 PM »
The weather has been really lovely, so we've been enjoying the time sitting by the pool. Not too hot, not too cold. Perfect for lounging in the shade of the warm day.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #603 on: June 06, 2021, 08:43:13 PM »
Sitting in the park, chatting with friends today. Beautiful weather, and a couple folks who haven't been up to Zooming over the last year showed up. So nice to catch up!

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #604 on: June 07, 2021, 09:23:20 AM »
Had cheap sushi across the street from my art studio tonight and they brought out some perilla leaf tempura as a free treat. Lovely stuff!
Just got an invite to a friend's opening on Thurs and am keen to see the work and meet people involved - lots of AI and art and systems/machines, hope to get some intellectual stimulation from new directions.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #605 on: June 07, 2021, 02:48:04 PM »
This morning’s sunrise, just glorious

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #606 on: June 07, 2021, 03:56:19 PM »
-Meetings that unexpectedly get cancelled
-Chatting with my mom yesterday about something she's very excited about
-Carpools for kids. Seriously, it's an under rated source of happiness. Not having to drive an extra 20 minutes each way to pick up a kid? Sharing the time commitment? So glorious.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #607 on: June 07, 2021, 04:53:00 PM »
Walked 10,000 steps, then had an absolutely quiet evening at home. No phone calls. No text messages. Just peace and quiet. I read a book and watched the new episode of “How to Renovate a Chateau (without killing your partner)” on YouTube. They are hilarious, and it’s my new favorite show. The evening was wonderfully serene.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: June 07, 2021, 06:39:46 PM »
-Meetings that unexpectedly get cancelled

That is the best!!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #609 on: June 07, 2021, 07:28:19 PM »
Yesterday I received an email about some classes I’ve wanted to do for ten years. I have missed out every time. Today I received confirmation that I’m in! It also means I might see some forum friends again while I’m in the area!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #610 on: June 07, 2021, 10:39:33 PM »
Yesterday I received an email about some classes I’ve wanted to do for ten years. I have missed out every time. Today I received confirmation that I’m in! It also means I might see some forum friends again while I’m in the area!

A once-in-a-decade opportunity. Woot!

Today it was hard to find some happiness, but I mopped all the hard floors in the house and they look nice.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #611 on: June 09, 2021, 07:20:57 AM »
My daughter had her last day of kindergarten yesterday. I never planned to be a homeschooling mom, and I definitely never planned to be a homeschooling-while-working-full-time mom (does anybody?), but I didn't think virtual learning would work for her, and her district didn't even go to hybrid until the year was mostly over. It wasn't easy, but we made it through, and there were some really joyous moments along the way.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #612 on: June 09, 2021, 09:26:43 AM »
My daughter had her last day of kindergarten yesterday. I never planned to be a homeschooling mom, and I definitely never planned to be a homeschooling-while-working-full-time mom (does anybody?), but I didn't think virtual learning would work for her, and her district didn't even go to hybrid until the year was mostly over. It wasn't easy, but we made it through, and there were some really joyous moments along the way.
Congrats to both of you!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #613 on: June 09, 2021, 11:07:03 AM »
Just spent a week in the woods--canoeing, camping, hiking. A mix of hard physical work and some gloriously lazy afternoons.
Getting home and having a shower seemed so luxurious, and a BED--a real BED!! Was very happy to lie down off of the ground.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #614 on: June 09, 2021, 09:20:24 PM »
Massage!!!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #615 on: June 11, 2021, 12:02:39 PM »
Getting back home after a trip and realizing that home is a great place to be :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #616 on: June 11, 2021, 12:33:18 PM »
-My son, having a fabulous time at soccer camp. He's a teen, and camps are hard to come by these days.
-My other teen son allowed me to take a "graduation" from middle school photo. He's completely uninterested in photos, but I wanted the moment captured for myself, and potentially him down the road. Photo turned out great.
-For video chat apps. My ILs are unable to come to the US, and my husband is unable to go to his country of origin. It's so special for the ILs to get videos of the kids, our garden, etc.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #617 on: June 11, 2021, 03:31:10 PM »

A once-in-a-decade opportunity. Woot!

Today it was hard to find some happiness, but I mopped all the hard floors in the house and they look nice.
Yes! Also, I might see you!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #618 on: June 11, 2021, 10:37:51 PM »
Yes! Also, I might see you!

THAT will be a happy day :)

Today's happiness was meeting a coworker in person for the first time. Thought it might be weird, because it's all been Zoom before, but we got along like gangbusters.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #619 on: June 12, 2021, 12:29:12 AM »
Listening to the ABC Classic FM Top 100. Am a Beethoven fangirl,  but loving being exposed to so much beautiful music.

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #620 on: June 12, 2021, 09:55:49 AM »
Great thread! This is my first post here.

Yesterday, what made me happy:
1. I went to the dentist for a check-up and had X-rays done (which I typically decline). My teeth are in pretty good shape and appear to be stable. (Periodontal disease is familial consideration).

2. I was gifted a GC from Starbucks (at Xmas) so treated myself to a Latte and a Cake Pop on the way home. (I've deemed this place too expensive for anything but a rare treat and like to make coffee at home anyway).

Today, I plan to relax and get into a library book that I just started, but am enjoying. It's also a beautiful day so may enjoy said book in my hammock in my beautiful tree-filled backyard.

Zhiantara

• Bristles
« Reply #621 on: June 12, 2021, 04:45:26 PM »
Listening to the ABC Classic FM Top 100. Am a Beethoven fangirl,  but loving being exposed to so much beautiful music.

Same. I used to work weekends so couldn't listen to it in past years; I'm enjoying listening to it live while I scan old family photos. I'm hoping some current Australian composers score high: Elena Katz-Chernin (likely), Joseph Tawadros (possible), Nardi Simpson (unfortunately unlikely), Nat Bartsch (ditto)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 05:18:20 AM by Zhiantara »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #622 on: June 12, 2021, 05:44:25 PM »
Got a used exercise bike. So nice to be able to exercise in an air conditioned room especially since the temperature outside is consistently over 30C now.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #623 on: June 12, 2021, 06:11:05 PM »
-Made dinner to clear out the fridge, ahead of a vacation. Love how clean the fridge looks, & the lack of waste
-I was a little anxious about flying to Hawaii (there's are a few pre-work steps, and we're taking my parents & need to help them as well). We leave tomorrow, and everything is sorted out & ready to go. Woohoo!
-Fresh tomatoes out of the garden. So delicious & sweet, and absolutely nothing like tomatoes from the store

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #624 on: June 12, 2021, 09:47:03 PM »
Got a book I'd been waiting *forever* for from the library and it has not been a disapointment!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #625 on: June 14, 2021, 12:00:55 PM »
After 15 months of my kids being home with me while I work, they started camp/preschool today. Drop off went great - I was a little nervous about how it would go with my 4-year-old, but she walked right into preschool with a huge smile on her face.

My house is so quiet! And I get things done so much more quickly when not being interrupted every few minutes!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #626 on: June 14, 2021, 12:36:00 PM »
Rainy rainy day with moments of calm/sun breaking through.
There's no internal pressure to go outside when it's like this so am enjoying a restful day.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #627 on: June 14, 2021, 12:45:43 PM »
Rainy rainy day with moments of calm/sun breaking through.
There's no internal pressure to go outside when it's like this so am enjoying a restful day.

Same, just had oral surgery, so if I have to rest for a day, I'm glad it's a rainy day.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #628 on: June 14, 2021, 06:39:26 PM »

Same. I used to work weekends so couldn't listen to it in past years; I'm enjoying listening to it live while I scan old family photos. I'm hoping some current Australian composers score high: Elena Katz-Chernin (likely), Joseph Tawadros (possible), Nardi Simpson (unfortunately likely), Nat Bartsch (ditto)
Wasn't it all brilliant? Happy sigh. Am re-listening it repeatedly via the app.

@Malcat hope you recover quickly.
@oneday which book did you get? Curious minds want to know!!

I am ordering the fixtures for the bathroom renovation as I have found the style I love (old-fashioned English tapware in a sleek chrome). We have lived with a dingy, dark ensuite bathroom (with a crappy shower curtain as the door fell off, and a toilet that is not water efficient) for 9 years and I am so happy to be able start afresh and pay for it all in cash. For many years before that we had 1 bathroom for 4 people and managed very well. Hedonic adaptation is a bitch!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #629 on: June 15, 2021, 10:06:59 AM »
My kids both loved their first day at camp/preschool yesterday, and were excited to go back this morning. It's such a relief.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #630 on: June 15, 2021, 06:21:57 PM »
A lovely cool breeze as I was picking asparagus this evening!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #631 on: June 15, 2021, 06:39:25 PM »
@lazycow the book was Scott Pilgrim #2. BF has #1 and #3-6 in his collection, and neither of us want to spend the money to fill the gap :)

Today's happiness was having a full (but not too full) work load at work, with more promised tomorrow. And Boss is not pushing me to go faster or get things done sooner. Yay!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #632 on: June 15, 2021, 08:12:57 PM »
A very tasty bibimbap dinner--my SO called it the 'winning-est dinner of the summer so far'. Simple, tasty food makes me very happy especially when it helps me use garden greens (pak choi) and clean out some leftovers from the fridge (rice and pickled onions/radishes which were pink and made the dish look lovely too!) :)

https://www.loveandlemons.com/bibimbap-recipe/

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #633 on: June 16, 2021, 03:13:01 AM »
@lazycow the book was Scott Pilgrim #2. BF has #1 and #3-6 in his collection, and neither of us want to spend the money to fill the gap :)
I wish I had known - I recently put vol 1-4 in a street library, I could have sent the missing vol to you!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #634 on: June 16, 2021, 03:33:10 AM »
Found out today that DD has made it into advanced Chinese (Chinese for native speakers) next year. It’s an accomplishment for her because we are not a native Chinese-speaking family, we speak English at home, and we do not have a Chinese-speaking ayi taking care of her. She apparently just squeaked through, and the teacher wanted to talk to me because she wasn’t sure where to put her.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #635 on: June 16, 2021, 07:14:08 PM »
I wish I had known - I recently put vol 1-4 in a street library, I could have sent the missing vol to you!

Aww, that's very sweet!

Today I learned how to use the cooling system/heat pump in my new digs. Not only that, but it's actually doing a decent job of cooling the place! Woot!

Possible future happiness: if the system wins over my BF, he will get rid of the hulking portable A/C unit taking up a load of space in our limited storage closet. 🤞

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #636 on: June 17, 2021, 06:55:32 AM »
Found out today that DD has made it into advanced Chinese (Chinese for native speakers) next year. It’s an accomplishment for her because we are not a native Chinese-speaking family, we speak English at home, and we do not have a Chinese-speaking ayi taking care of her. She apparently just squeaked through, and the teacher wanted to talk to me because she wasn’t sure where to put her.

Congrats, Freedomin5 family!

InvincibleChutzpah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 60% leanFI
« Reply #637 on: June 17, 2021, 06:58:15 AM »
I got a free day off work yesterday. I have to work Saturday in exchange, but my partner works Saturdays and has Wednesday, Thursday, Friday off. We got an extra day together. It was really nice to relax and hang out mid week.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #638 on: June 17, 2021, 03:20:09 PM »
We get an unexpected day off work tomorrow for the new Juneteenth holiday. We're all scrambling a bit due to the last minute announcement, but I'm looking forward to taking the day to relax (plus I think it's a good and worthwhile holiday to have).

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #639 on: June 17, 2021, 08:04:01 PM »
Had a last minute opportunity to create a spontaneous art project out in nature this afternoon...and started the morning off by paddling a lake with a friend so it felt like a great day overall.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #640 on: June 18, 2021, 09:25:42 PM »
Dinner was mostly roasted veggies...I can cook a dish or two! Yummy, and I felt accomplished.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #641 on: June 18, 2021, 10:31:43 PM »
My husband and I both had the day off while our kids' childcare remained open, which basically never happens. So we took advantage of it and went to the beach together, which was really nice. The beach was uncrowded, the weather was great, and we were able to have some good conversations about what we want out of our future.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #642 on: June 19, 2021, 02:03:33 AM »
Hello, happy people! I'm not sure why I've not read this thread before, but it is a great read. Thanks to Deborah for creating it.

I can hear the birds singing outside my window. No other sounds. The day is mine to spend as I want, we are healthy and happy, and live in a beautiful place. I am grateful for all of these things.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #643 on: June 19, 2021, 02:31:51 AM »
Was very happy yesterday to hear my HS son got a call from the Soccer Coach at Caltech and they want to see about getting him out there and then yesterday evening my College DD who also is a Soccer player, starting GK in the BIG10 snuck home last night to surprise me for the weekend for Fathers day. Finally, For the first time ordered something from Wayfair being a couch because we couldn't find one we liked, I had to assemble it but it couldn't of been more perfect and was fairly easy to put together.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #644 on: June 19, 2021, 04:05:31 PM »
It rained all day yesterday, but we had friends over. Enjoyed a simple lunch together, then went for a walk when the rain stopped.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #645 on: June 19, 2021, 09:00:57 PM »
Winter Solstice (a day early) swim with friends. It was a divine, balmy morning, and there was something magical about being immersed in very cold water. This is the 2nd year we have celebrated, and are planning on having weekly dips, hurrah!!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #646 on: June 19, 2021, 09:02:42 PM »
Winter Solstice (a day early) swim with friends. It was a divine, balmy morning, and there was something magical about being immersed in very cold water. This is the 2nd year we have celebrated, and are planning on having weekly dips, hurrah!!

Very nice @lazycow --I've cold-dipped for the past 3 winters. It's so wonderful!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #647 on: June 19, 2021, 09:04:11 PM »
Spring rolls. Library book overload. Injuries healing nicely. Parks & Rec (the series). An online basket-weaving course. Second vaccine. :)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #648 on: June 19, 2021, 09:25:01 PM »
Every June I start going crazy wanting lobster, it creeps up on me and I'm like "why am I obsessing about lobster?, and then I'm reminded that June is Lobsterfest month and apparently I reflexively anticipate it every year.

Restaurants *just* re-opened for outdoor dining here, so we went out tonight and had a bunch of seafood, including lobster.

Of course, now I want more lobster.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #649 on: June 19, 2021, 09:33:09 PM »
We took my parents to Hawaii for my dad's 70th birthday/my parents 50th anniversary. It also happened to be my husband's birthday, and we had an early Father's Day celebration. I can honestly say that it was a 10 out of 10 vacation. It was the most fantastic trip we've ever had with kids - SO MUCH fun. I'm so happy & relieved. I planned for a year, and it all turned out perfectly. So much family fun, so many laughs, so many memories.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!