Author Topic: Happiness challenge  (Read 165562 times)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
Re: Happiness challenge
« Reply #500 on: May 05, 2021, 04:47:58 PM »
Had fun sharing the pastries with coworkers and was relieved that people liked them. Chinese desserts tend to be hit or miss with the expat crowd.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #501 on: May 05, 2021, 04:58:57 PM »
My other recent happy event is learning that DD (age 7) solved her own problem. DD is a bit of a scatterbrain and has had difficulty remembering which days her after school activities (ASAs) are on. On ASA days, she is supposed to go to the gym at school to wait for her ASA teacher. She’s gotten flustered and upset a few times for going into the pick-up line instead of the ASA line, and then gotten upset at me for not reminding her that it was an ASA day.

Last night, I noticed that she had written “asa” beside the Tuesday and Thursday heading in her homework book. When I asked her, she said she came up with that idea by herself to help her remember when she had an ASA. I’m very happy that she’s taking the initiative to solve the problem instead of blaming others.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #502 on: May 06, 2021, 02:36:58 AM »
I am so happy that I had to cut the grass for the first time yesterday. Last fall with putting a new patio in behind the house, new walk way in front of the house and another area of concrete for 2 more cars in doing all that I just decided with the new pitches and stuff to bring in truck loads of topsoil and re-seed entire yard since the grass wasnt the best anyhow. Then this spring I started watering about 5 weeks ago, adding seed and fertilizer and yesterday i had to cut it and other than some patch areas which is still better than original I have a nice lawn cutting in and also did a lot of planting. Having to move sprinklers around everyday because of a dry spring gets old! So happy I can see the light!

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #503 on: May 06, 2021, 02:59:39 AM »
There is a new thread where people are commenting how pessimistic the forum has become over the years. They need to come on over here!

Today's happiness is twofold: 1) organised a meetup with my favourite MMM journaler for July; and 2) went for a beach run and quick dip as it was a gloriously sunny autumnal day. Life is good, even when it is bad.

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #504 on: May 06, 2021, 05:55:41 AM »
We have a pair of hummingbirds that have taken up residence in our yard, and they arrive daily (or hourly!) to drink from our feeders.  We also have a box turtle who I'm pretty sure is a repeat guest from last year.  So happy to have the critters around!

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #505 on: May 06, 2021, 07:22:47 AM »
My other recent happy event is learning that DD (age 7) solved her own problem. DD is a bit of a scatterbrain and has had difficulty remembering which days her after school activities (ASAs) are on. On ASA days, she is supposed to go to the gym at school to wait for her ASA teacher. She’s gotten flustered and upset a few times for going into the pick-up line instead of the ASA line, and then gotten upset at me for not reminding her that it was an ASA day.

Last night, I noticed that she had written “asa” beside the Tuesday and Thursday heading in her homework book. When I asked her, she said she came up with that idea by herself to help her remember when she had an ASA. I’m very happy that she’s taking the initiative to solve the problem instead of blaming others.
Wow, that's impressive!  I love when my daughter (5) figures out her own solutions.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #506 on: May 06, 2021, 07:37:15 AM »
Bought hiking boots yesterday (mine have been needing replacing, they are 14 years old!) and a motto on the box said "no place too far". Somehow this made me very happy.

It was a moment of appreciation for the act of walking and how all sorts of people in all sorts of places in all types of shoes (boots, sandals, gumboots, bare feet, etc) engage daily in moving these precious body-ships around via simple self-propelled locomotion.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #507 on: May 06, 2021, 09:07:30 AM »
There is a new thread where people are commenting how pessimistic the forum has become over the years. They need to come on over here!

Today's happiness is twofold: 1) organised a meetup with my favourite MMM journaler for July; and 2) went for a beach run and quick dip as it was a gloriously sunny autumnal day. Life is good, even when it is bad.

Pessimistic about the markets.

They might come here and talk about the pretty bird they saw, and then go into another thread and say that everyone needs to buckle up and OMY because inflation is going ruin everyone's plans.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #508 on: May 07, 2021, 03:06:55 PM »

Pessimistic about the markets.

They might come here and talk about the pretty bird they saw, and then go into another thread and say that everyone needs to buckle up and OMY because inflation is going ruin everyone's plans.

I thought I saw some golden eagles yesterday but I overheard a man pointing them out to his companion and saying that they were buzzards. My vision is corrected to nearly 20/20 and I had my glasses on, so I doubt that he could see better than me. They were really too far away to tell which one they were.  So maybe I saw pretty birds, maybe I didn't. The ugly birds are necessary too.  I had a nice hike either way.

I don't read those threads because I'm at a point where I don't really care what the markets do.  I don't see how OMY-ing now would be more beneficial than just waiting to see if something happens and going back to work if needed at the time.   

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #509 on: May 07, 2021, 03:49:16 PM »
I got my second Covid vaccine yesterday, and feel totally fine except for a sore arm. I'm super grateful to have it out of the way.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #510 on: May 07, 2021, 04:57:09 PM »
I had a lovely time of snuggling and playing with my five year old on the couch.  And I actually felt happy!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #511 on: May 07, 2021, 08:07:03 PM »
Tried it a new recipe and while the fish doesn't have quite the right texture or flavor, I'm not hungry. The recipe is a keeper overall, too. Easy, healthy, enough for a bit of leftovers but not too much. And I feel like a grown up, cooking fish. Yay!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #512 on: May 07, 2021, 08:24:06 PM »
Tried it a new recipe and while the fish doesn't have quite the right texture or flavor, I'm not hungry. The recipe is a keeper overall, too. Easy, healthy, enough for a bit of leftovers but not too much. And I feel like a grown up, cooking fish. Yay!

Fish is difficult. The only luck I have is breading and pan frying the fillets. I tend to overcook if I bake them.

I had a nice visit with my friend and her horses and cats yesterday evening. We sat on the deck in the sunshine and had a glass of wine (just a little one), and one of the cats sat in my lap and purred. So relaxing!!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #513 on: May 07, 2021, 08:55:08 PM »
Lovely clients at work today. It makes such a difference when people are pleasant to deal with :)

Plus, we had a big rainstorm last night, then the sun came out then the rain fell again (hard!), a bit of hail,  now the sun in shining & setting into a beautiful evening..

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #514 on: May 08, 2021, 02:34:29 AM »
I had a truly splendid day with friends, art, delicious food, sitting in the sunshine and people watching and it was just so bloody nice to be out of the house and in the world.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #515 on: May 08, 2021, 03:01:36 AM »
Some friends have invited us over to have a picnic in their yard this afternoon.  I'm really happy just looking forward to it. 

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #516 on: May 08, 2021, 03:08:53 AM »
Another glorious autumn day. Went for a 90 minute walk near paddocks filled with beautiful jersey cows. The sun was shining, the grass was vivid green and I didn't see another soul. My idea of heaven.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #517 on: May 08, 2021, 04:00:25 AM »
There’s a paved running/bike trail near the river canal. We found out today that it’s been extended. Can’t wait to explore it and see where it leads.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #518 on: May 08, 2021, 11:39:20 PM »

Fish is difficult. The only luck I have is breading and pan frying the fillets. I tend to overcook if I bake them.

I had a nice visit with my friend and her horses and cats yesterday evening. We sat on the deck in the sunshine and had a glass of wine (just a little one), and one of the cats sat in my lap and purred. So relaxing!!

Next time I am going to try fresh instead of frozen fish. That might solve the texture issue.

Today's happiness was partly the hike with one of my favorite people, but the coup de grâce was a cousin texted with the news they'd been vaccinated. I've been sending them links to pop up clinics and other opportunities for weeks. Yay! All the adults in my local family have been done! I smell meet-up potential!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #519 on: May 09, 2021, 03:16:58 AM »
Got together for a cookout last night with some fully vaccinated friends -- first time since the pandemic started.  Wow was that fun. 

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #520 on: May 09, 2021, 06:53:45 AM »
I'm currently sitting at my parents' kitchen table with my partner, watching the birds, squirrels, and chipmunks while sipping tea.  This is my first visit with my parents since Christmas 2019 (yay vaccinations!) and the first time they're meeting my partner (which is going well!).  So much happiness this weekend :)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #521 on: May 09, 2021, 07:17:46 AM »

Next time I am going to try fresh instead of frozen fish. That might solve the texture issue.

Today's happiness was partly the hike with one of my favorite people, but the coup de grâce was a cousin texted with the news they'd been vaccinated. I've been sending them links to pop up clinics and other opportunities for weeks. Yay! All the adults in my local family have been done! I smell meet-up potential!

You're not cooking them from frozen, are you?

I used to cook thawed from frozen fish all the time and never had any issues compared to fresh. I particularly like to broil fish, it makes a crispy top, but doesn't over cooked in the middle. Takes about 8-12 minutes depending on the filet. Much faster than baking and less chance of awful over-baked fish texture.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #522 on: May 09, 2021, 07:43:08 AM »
I got my chores done early in the week, and treated myself to an indulgent day yesterday. I sat by the pool & read for the majority of it. The kids had no games/activities, and I mostly just chilled. I did a bit of gardening, & my husband made margaritas. It was glorious.

InvincibleChutzpah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 60% leanFI
« Reply #523 on: May 09, 2021, 07:49:19 AM »
Yesterday was beautiful. We opened all the windows to let the sun and breeze in. My partner and I made a nice but simple breakfast of egg, bacon, avocado, strawberries, and blackberries. I took the dog on a leisurely walk. Then I went and bought some potting soil for my container garden.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #524 on: May 09, 2021, 01:10:17 PM »

You're not cooking them from frozen, are you?

I used to cook thawed from frozen fish all the time and never had any issues compared to fresh. I particularly like to broil fish, it makes a crispy top, but doesn't over cooked in the middle. Takes about 8-12 minutes depending on the filet. Much faster than baking and less chance of awful over-baked fish texture.

No, I did thaw the fillets before cooking. That in itself was a whole saga. It was enough cooking adventures for me this week and I'll just try again later. Will look for a broiler recipe, too. Thanks.

@MaybeBabyMustache and @InvincibleChutzpah both those situations sound blissful. Happy for you!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 01:14:36 PM by oneday »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #525 on: May 09, 2021, 08:25:17 PM »
My baby tomatillo and basil seedlings were not so growing so well due to the lack of consistent sunlight so a friend with gro-lights took them home to give them a boost of light. So kind.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #526 on: May 10, 2021, 05:46:18 PM »
I went for a walk to pick up something from my in-laws...completely alone!  It was wonderful.  It helps that it was next to a lake and through a woods/swamp and the lilacs are blooming, but I get so little alone time that this was super refreshing. 

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #527 on: May 10, 2021, 06:48:51 PM »
Happiness is my daily morning run in the month of May, the best running month in the entire year.  The mornings are fresh and feel deliciously air conditioned and smell like lilacs.  I run by the water and see the birds flying overhead carrying fish underneath them flashing silver.  And I count the rabbits.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #528 on: May 11, 2021, 06:08:04 AM »
Had a soft serve durian ice cream after a massage (from a package deal purchased years ago) and it was divine. Doubly so when putting a mask on afterwards. Durian's not for everyone, but for those of us who like it.....mmm!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #529 on: May 11, 2021, 07:34:05 PM »
Happiness is my daily morning run in the month of May, the best running month in the entire year.  The mornings are fresh and feel deliciously air conditioned and smell like lilacs.  I run by the water and see the birds flying overhead carrying fish underneath them flashing silver.  And I count the rabbits.

Mine was my run today too, although it was on a gorgeous sunny afternoon.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #530 on: May 11, 2021, 11:58:59 PM »
Happy to have cooked up all the veggies in my fridge so they won't go bad. But also happy that BF cooked latkes for me! They tasted great and were no work on my part :)

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #531 on: May 12, 2021, 09:04:25 AM »
Today's happiness was a sweet blast of aircon into the hallway, somewhere around the 6th floor of my 9/F walkup. Made the final few floors a lot easier to climb. Also, a fat mango awaiting at the top.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: May 13, 2021, 08:52:30 AM »
I am glad that after years of resistance I have become okay with watching hockey.

My SO is a fan, I've always actively avoided it. While I still don't LOVE the game, it's become a pleasant experience to join on occasion--he gets so excited and loves to break down the plays. I watch (and maybe read a book) and am glad I overcame my snobbishness towards it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #533 on: May 13, 2021, 09:17:45 AM »
I am glad that after years of resistance I have become okay with watching hockey.

My SO is a fan, I've always actively avoided it. While I still don't LOVE the game, it's become a pleasant experience to join on occasion--he gets so excited and loves to break down the plays. I watch (and maybe read a book) and am glad I overcame my snobbishness towards it.

I still twitch when made to watch hockey games. For me it's not snobbishness, I live in the land of hockey worship, and I catch a lot of flack for disliking hockey, but I simply cannot enjoy it.

I can enjoy football live or on TV, I can enjoy basketball live, but I cannot enjoy hockey under any circumstances. I just hate it so much.

I'm so happy to have an SO who also dislikes hockey. I thought he liked it, so I kept accepting VIP rink-side tickets back when I was working, but after a half dozen games, he finally said "do you mind taking someone else? I don't really like hockey". I laughed my ass off. I was suffering for him because I thought he would enjoy the work perk, and he was suffering for me because he thought I couldn't politely turn down the tickets.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 09:20:37 AM by Malcat »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #534 on: May 13, 2021, 10:08:47 AM »

I still twitch when made to watch hockey games. For me it's not snobbishness, I live in the land of hockey worship, and I catch a lot of flack for disliking hockey, but I simply cannot enjoy it.

fair enough @Malcat --I would be content NOT having hockey in my life but since it is there, I am just happy that it doesn't cause me to twitch (as much) anymore! 

I associated hockey with my hometown and would pointedly leave the room to read or use my brain with other pursuits.. :) (I still prefer many things over sports-talk but maybe the point is that I'm loosening my judgement against my SO for this particular passion..I was initially disappointed that he was a fan now I get a good amount of joy watching him be fully engaged in watching a sport even if I often don't join in myself)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 08:15:11 AM by Serendip »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #535 on: May 13, 2021, 08:14:19 PM »
Today I think I figured out what is up with my wonky sleep schedule. And I think I can fix it rather easily. Win!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #536 on: May 13, 2021, 08:47:02 PM »
Today I think I figured out what is up with my wonky sleep schedule. And I think I can fix it rather easily. Win!
Yay!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #537 on: May 14, 2021, 04:16:07 AM »
My company provides housing, and today, I'm glad I live in my (less popular) complex rather than the other, bigger, more expensive, complex. After a long week at work, I really don't want to bump into any of my coworkers. I'm also very glad that I live in our current apartment -- so much more comfortable than our old place.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #538 on: May 14, 2021, 07:37:01 AM »
I'm watching a pair of barn swallows rehab an old nest on my porch. I wonder if they are descendants of the original nest builders?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #539 on: May 14, 2021, 08:16:12 AM »
Having some early season garden success.
We are trying a new system to help protect the seedlings from cold/frost and it is looking so good!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #540 on: May 16, 2021, 03:51:23 AM »
Got my 10,000 steps today!

Zhiantara

• Bristles
« Reply #541 on: May 16, 2021, 07:43:24 AM »
I found proper cotton tights! Not 'cotton rich', but actual cotton. With a heel, and a generous gusset so that I can take normal sized steps, and go right up to my waist without pulling. Almost as comfy as my old school tights. And they're warm and fuzzy :)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #542 on: May 16, 2021, 04:13:20 PM »
I found proper cotton tights! Not 'cotton rich', but actual cotton. With a heel, and a generous gusset so that I can take normal sized steps, and go right up to my waist without pulling. Almost as comfy as my old school tights. And they're warm and fuzzy :)
Details??

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #543 on: May 16, 2021, 04:46:09 PM »
We have a big clematis vine with two active birds nets. The cardinals are the upstairs neighbors and the robins are the downstairs ones. Swallows are on the other side of the house.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #544 on: May 16, 2021, 10:49:50 PM »
@Morning Glory thanks! And then that night I had the worst insomnia I've ever experienced. 🙄

Today I met with my hobby group *in person*! At a park, and the weather was pretty darn good. There was much talk about doing it again next week, so I think it was a happiness for everyone.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #545 on: May 16, 2021, 11:01:34 PM »
@Morning Glory thanks! And then that night I had the worst insomnia I've ever experienced. 🙄

Today I met with my hobby group *in person*! At a park, and the weather was pretty darn good. There was much talk about doing it again next week, so I think it was a happiness for everyone.

I have trazodone for mine. It's funny that I used to do crazy shifts and have permanent jetlag but never got real insomnia until I was on normal hours. Must be a coincidence.

Today I'm happy because it's beautiful here now and I'm sitting outside.

Zhiantara

• Bristles
« Reply #546 on: May 17, 2021, 03:45:35 AM »
Details??

Clio ecostyle sustainable cotton tights
These ones look right - https://www.bigw.com.au/product/clio-women-s-sustainable-bci-cotton-tights-black/p/1216513-black/

I found them at Coles for $10.50 on sale. I'm short (157cm; size 12ish) but got the Tall/X-Tall and they fit really well.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #547 on: May 17, 2021, 10:27:54 AM »
Fun dreams..
Most recent-- I could see and breathe easily underwater and was swimming/gathering trash from the lake floor, which turned into discovering a stash of jewellery.

I woke up in a happy/creative mood :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #548 on: May 17, 2021, 05:49:43 PM »
Saw a ladybug larva today. Double happiness because a) I've never seen one before and b) it was on the rose bush that has aphid and ladybugs eat aphids. I hope this is a harbinger of better days ahead for the rose bush.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #549 on: May 17, 2021, 09:43:19 PM »
My tomato plants are doing fantastic. I planted three different varieties of cherry tomatoes, and I'm super excited to be eating cherry tomatoes all summer.

I had a long and challenging day today, but I'm happy now to be finishing it out with a glass of delicious port.