Author Topic: Half Marathon in 2017  (Read 35270 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Half Marathon in 2017
« Reply #200 on: November 13, 2017, 05:51:22 PM »
Not sure if this is a good place to ask. My running shoes will have 314 miles on them at the end of the week. I bought them in May. They still feel comfortable and don't have any places falling apart. My question is when to replace them? I've heard answers from 300 to 600 miles to "when you start getting bad pain after every run" (which I would like to avoid!). I don't do anything but run in them if that matters. Experienced Mustachian running opinions?

Buy a new pair. Run in them. If you don't notice a substantive difference, alternate between new and old until you notice the old ones becoming less supportive.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: November 14, 2017, 07:06:57 AM »
Thanks! I got a new pair and was shocked by how flat the old pair was in comparison.

Sorry your race was rough fluffmuffin.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2017, 08:10:39 AM »
Ran the Race Sunday!

Rock and Roll half in Vegas, Really fun, parts of it sombering with a tribute to the recent shooting.

Just missed my old PR and finished about 2:04 short of my goal to break 2 hours. Missed my last long run due to a bad cold and was still fighting it race day so that was a partial factor. Going to try again for 2018 to break the 2 hours. Not sure which race yet :)

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2017, 10:20:04 AM »
Congrats on your race LWTG! If you’re looking for a fast one in the mid-Atlantic, come check out Richmond :)

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »
The Richmond half was so very cold... although some would say perfect race conditions.  My feet were numb for the first 6 miles.  I hit my goal of sub 2:00 and came it just over 1:57, which I'll take for four months of running.  My next half is in April to keep me running throughout the winter. 

Somewhere along the way I drank the Kool-Aid and plan to run the full marathon next November.  Why not...

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2017, 01:12:40 PM »
The Richmond half was so very cold... although some would say perfect race conditions.  My feet were numb for the first 6 miles.  I hit my goal of sub 2:00 and came it just over 1:57, which I'll take for four months of running.  My next half is in April to keep me running throughout the winter. 

Somewhere along the way I drank the Kool-Aid and plan to run the full marathon next November.  Why not...

Nah, it wasn't perfect race conditions--it was "the best option available if you're going to have extreme weather" conditions :)

Good luck with the full!

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2017, 02:29:35 PM »

Nah, it wasn't perfect race conditions--it was "the best option available if you're going to have extreme weather" conditions :)

Good luck with the full!

I was down right angry with weather.com the entire week! Especially since it seemed to drop just for the race because Friday and Sunday were warmer lol. Your time was awesome but I’m sorry it didn’t feel great. You honey badgers are beasts!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2017, 02:41:02 PM »
Well done guys, nice to see some more halfs being completed (and some quick times too!)

My last one for the year is next week. Fingers crossed the weather is pleasant for it.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2017, 02:50:26 PM »
Congrats on your race LWTG! If you’re looking for a fast one in the mid-Atlantic, come check out Richmond :)

Thanks!

I ran a cold one in Fredericksburg a couple years ago, have to check out Richmond

*shudders* no fulls for me, too much time commitment for proper training.  I'm also in the "Clydesdale" division so that's a lot of knee impact.

Best of luck with yours though if you go for it!

Well done guys, nice to see some more halfs being completed (and some quick times too!)

My last one for the year is next week. Fingers crossed the weather is pleasant for it.

Thanks marty!!

Good luck with yours next week.

Been a fun thread to follow along, we should do another in 2018 :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »
Yep - my next HM in 2018 will be in April, but I'll try and search for one more before then. Planning to join a running club next year too which will be fun.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2017, 03:56:13 PM »
Yep - my next HM in 2018 will be in April, but I'll try and search for one more before then. Planning to join a running club next year too which will be fun.

Wow your on it!!

How many have/will you done in 2017?

The one I just finished was my first since 2013. Fun though I think I'll do at least one or two next year. May even do a slow one with my wife at her pace for support. She has never done one and is toying with it as a goal for 2018.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2017, 01:38:08 PM »
Finished my last half marathon of the year yesterday morning.  Didn't train well for it... Bad fibromyalgia flares with accompanying depression made it really difficult to find the motivation to get out and run.  However, I still call it a success.  I did finish, after all.  Also, unlike last year, the weather was pleasant and so the race itself just made for a nice morning.  I tweaked my hip a tiny bit, but it's already feeling better with some stretching.  And I finished at 2:51, which for me, on a flat course with sub-par training, is decent.

I'm putting together my race schedule for next year (black friday sales!) and am once again feeling motivated.

This was also the race that officially retired my pair of running shoes with 403 miles.  (Luckily, I picked up another pair on clearance after they were discontinued last spring.  I can definitely feel the difference between them.)  Now I get rid of the oldest pair, the next pair becomes the garden shoes, and these ones become the casual sneakers.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: November 26, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »

Wow your on it!!

How many have/will you done in 2017?

The one I just finished was my first since 2013. Fun though I think I'll do at least one or two next year. May even do a slow one with my wife at her pace for support. She has never done one and is toying with it as a goal for 2018.

Just completed my third for the year. It was quite hot and humid which took it's toll early so the time wasn't great for me (2:12), but still happy I went for it.

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #213 on: December 04, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »
I did 3 this year!  Including a half ironman. 

maybe next year I'll go for a full.

Romag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #214 on: December 14, 2017, 09:19:34 AM »
Finished the year with:
1 Marathon (Paris)
3 Halfs (Key West, Paris, Geneva)
2 10Ks (Honolulu, local)
1 8K (local)
1 4M (local)

Hoping to run the NYC or Marine Corps Marathon in 2018.
Congrats to everyone for their efforts in 2017 and good luck next year!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: December 15, 2017, 05:12:22 PM »
Finished the year with:
1 Marathon (Paris)
3 Halfs (Key West, Paris, Geneva)
2 10Ks (Honolulu, local)
1 8K (local)
1 4M (local)

Hoping to run the NYC or Marine Corps Marathon in 2018.
Congrats to everyone for their efforts in 2017 and good luck next year!

Wow! That sounds like an exciting set of runs! I would love to run NYC someday but need to actually feel comfortable at a half before I'll think of tackling a full.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #216 on: December 18, 2017, 01:46:00 PM »
Finished my fourth half of the year last week at the Hoover Dam Half Marathon. It was a personal worst, but I'm still happy with it. I didn't do proper long runs leading up too it (I have been running consistently and with enough frequency, just run a lot in the 3-6 mile distance and not much over that distance wise). Other factors: 30,000+ steps each of the three days prior (it was our 'big' vacation for the year), three hours of sleep the night before (concert! Worth it.), and 2300+ feet of elevation gain (I live and train in a really flat area). All that said, it was a nice race. Scenic, fun to see the Hoover Dam mid-race, enjoyed the tunnels and soft surface running. It fit well into our plans for our 50 state goal, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a destination race. I thought it was a bit unorganized and wish the random one mile out and back past the finish line had been built into the start of the race rather than the finish (HATE passing the finish line with 2 more miles to go).

Hoping to add a couple more states next year. I know we'll get North Dakota (DH is in a wedding and there happens to be a Half that weekend) and hopefully at least one more!

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2017, 10:10:44 PM »
Man, lots of folks with multiple halfs!!! Nice job :)

Also interesting thought popped into my head with people talking of which states they have run halves in....I have never run one in my own home state! Looks like there is one in June literally 5 minutes form my house that I might go for.