Author Topic: Half Marathon in 2017  (Read 35163 times)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Half Marathon in 2017
« Reply #150 on: September 04, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »
The race report!

So, we got a heat wave.  It was supposed to hit on Tuesday and break on Thursday.  Well, it hit late (Weds) and didn't break until...afternoon of race day.  Boo!  In fact, the hottest day all week was race day.  No fog.

So remember those goals:
- Plan A (stretch goal) 3:30
- Plan B (totally do-able) 3:45
- Plan C 4:00
- Plan D - just finish!  <---- this was it.  I finished.  I came close to Plan C but just couldn't pull it out in the end.

So, the weather:
- It was 75 and muggy at the start (6:30 am), and by the time I finished, it was 95F at the top. Most of the race was really really hot. It was easily 85 at mile 4. I melt in the heat.  Peak temp in town that afternoon was over 100, then we had a freak wind/rain storm that did a heck of a lot of damage, but cooled everything down 20 degrees.

It was interesting to see how it affected everyone.  My coworkers all did great...but they were probably off their goal paces by 1:00 per mile.

My training team was similar.  Our leaders were off by 1:00 to 1:30 per mile (slower than normal).  One woman hit her goal dead on (sub-3:00).  The woman who usually runs a little faster than me beat her goal finishing time by 30 minutes.  In the heat. That's crazy. (She did a sub-3:00.) 

My finishing time was off by about 2:00 per mile from what I might have been able to do in better weather.  But one of our group was off by 3:00 per mile.  She was having a worse day than me (still finished ahead of me though!)  There were several times that I didn't think I was going to finish.  After mile 9, it was really just "finish".  I drank a ton of water and electrolyte, but it was still miserable. Those last 4 miles took me >80 minutes.  (Of course, the two steepest mile-long sections are in there.)  I wasn't going to be a DNF.  It was so hot I didn't even know how hot it was.  Not until we got into the car to drive back down.  The other issue I struggled with was the tight hamstrings.  I usually do a run/ walk.  I had a strategy on the mountain for the spots when I would run.  But it was too hot to run in most of them.  Too much of either (running or walking) makes my hamstrings unhappy.

Am I going to do it again?  My neighbors up the street (husband has done it 2x) brought pina coladas last evening and asked me that.  Maybe.  If you had asked me last week I would have said "heck yea!"  The training program is great and I feel SO STRONG.  But I cannot help but be disappointed by the result.  My husband is super proud (and I am too), but it's still disappointing to look at that finish time and realize that it doesn't reflect the training I put in.  And honestly, that's because life sucks. Sometimes the weather sucks, or you get sick or injured, or you are just having a bad day.

Maybe my coworkers who always slept in later (and thus, did most of their training later in the morning when it was hotter on the mountain) were the smart ones!

Today, aside from chapped lips and really sore toes (everything swelled up, including my feet - I shouldn't have sore toes from an all uphill half!), I feel great.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2017, 07:41:04 AM »
...aside from chapped lips and really sore toes (everything swelled up, including my feet - I shouldn't have sore toes from an all uphill half!), I feel great.
Good job!  I was able to complete a mile today for the first time in weeks...I rewarded myself with a fresh cup of instant coffee upon returning home.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2017, 07:55:44 AM »
Way to go mm1970! Sometimes finishing is all your body can do...and it sounds like you made the most of a tough race (since you keep using the word "mountain") with really challenging weather conditions. You'll get it next time :)

Any chance you can hop in another race in the next couple of weeks, if you feel like your race result wasn't worth all of the work that you put in?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2017, 09:15:42 AM »
Way to go mm1970! Sometimes finishing is all your body can do...and it sounds like you made the most of a tough race (since you keep using the word "mountain") with really challenging weather conditions. You'll get it next time :)

Any chance you can hop in another race in the next couple of weeks, if you feel like your race result wasn't worth all of the work that you put in?

Yes, it was an uphill half marathon...from sea level to 3997 feet, over 4000 feet of elevation gain!

I think I'm going to throw a couple of 10ks in the next couple of months.  Probably not another half.  I don't really like half marathons too much - I like "short and fast" or "low and slow", but trying to go 13.1 miles "fast" is not my jam.  I tried this one because it's a test of endurance (and uphill is better for my knees).

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2017, 09:55:26 AM »
This week was a dropback week so we only ran 4 miles.  Thanks to the cooler temperatures and Zyrtec-D I ran my fastest time since I started with this group 5 weeks ago.  I have a lot of psychological barriers when it comes to running that I need to work past.  I also need to be patient with myself.  For the upcoming week:

Sunday - speed work at the track
Monday - Circuit Training at Gym with this routine (slight modified)  https://youtu.be/UqFzWx8X5AM
Tuesday - 3 miles plus lower body weight lifting
Wednesday - November Project
Thursday - 3 miles plus lower body weight lifting or foam rolling and 3 miles in the PM with running group
Friday - weight lifting - upper body heavy
Saturday - 7 miles

Question: How does everyone handle rest days?  I count my weight lifting days as rest from running and vice versa.  My internal alarm clock goes off at 0430 no matter what so I can't sleep in and if I'm awake at that time I feel I should be doing something productive.  I don't feel worn out so I guess it is ok. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2017, 05:29:54 PM »

Yes, it was an uphill half marathon...from sea level to 3997 feet, over 4000 feet of elevation gain!

I think I'm going to throw a couple of 10ks in the next couple of months.  Probably not another half.  I don't really like half marathons too much - I like "short and fast" or "low and slow", but trying to go 13.1 miles "fast" is not my jam.  I tried this one because it's a test of endurance (and uphill is better for my knees).

Holy crap... what's that, an average of a 6% gradient uphill for the full race??? Wow... kudos to you, that's astonishing!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »

Holy crap... what's that, an average of a 6% gradient uphill for the full race??? Wow... kudos to you, that's astonishing!
Something like that - it's challenging!  But also brutal.  And horrible. 

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2017, 03:20:35 PM »
Well I ran a lot more in August then I had in June/July but still not a ton. 5-6 runs with the longest being 4 miles.

Race is 9 weeks from yesterday so I really need to get the mileage up.

---------

Nice job marty998 and mm1970!!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »
My training is progressing. Have had a couple of 4-milers recently that seemed short. The 6 mile rest week long run was pretty easy. I have dropped my per mile time for short runs from 14 minutes to around 12 (running at the same perceived exertion).

Long run this week is 11 miles and very intimidating still. Half marathon is 4 weeks away. Gulp...

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2017, 04:06:56 PM »
You can do it, Mongoose! Don't think of it like 11 miles...think of it like "only 1-2 more miles of running than last week." And way to go on dropping your pace! Taking 2 minutes off is a huge accomplishment and you should be so proud!

I'm still chugging along. Work is kicking my ass this week, so I'm giving myself permission to just...not force myself to run. My long run last weekend was great, though! I was visiting my hometown so could run on my favorite trail, and a good friend/running buddy met me for my last 4 miles. She's not in great shape right now so I did a warmup mile, tempoed, and had an easy 4 miles with her to wrap up. It was one of those days where I felt like I was flying and could run forever. Runs like that make all of the slogs worth it.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: September 16, 2017, 10:15:26 AM »
I survived my 11 miles this morning. It took almost exactly 2.5 hours. It was hot and humid and I don't feel very good right now. 3 more long runs before the race (4 weeks from today). I'm not sure I could've made it two more miles today...

My half marathon goal is to finish. Secret stretch goal: 3 hours or under. I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: September 16, 2017, 08:57:18 PM »
Anyone get horrible headaches only after long runs (8+ miles or more in my case)? Not dehydrated. Not skipping caffeine. Ibuprofen, caffeine, hydration, and eating don't help. It starts about 2 hours after the run is over. I may have had partial relief today from benedryl (antihistamine). This is so weird. I pretty much never get headaches.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: September 16, 2017, 10:16:51 PM »
Well fuck. Completed my second one in a fortnight, but this one was a double barrel of pain.

I was on track for 1:57(!!!), right up to about 17.5km in. The last 3.5 unfortunately I was hit with debilitating calf, and then quad cramps.

So embarrassed at essentially having to walk the last 3k, I basically lost 12 minutes trying to drag myself to the line (finished in 2:09 net time).

Having said that it was a stunning view around sydney harbour, over the bridge, under it twice, and a finish on the opera house steps. I guess I had a little longer than most to take it all in at the end :)

Ah well, there's always next year...

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2017, 06:12:50 PM »
Signed up for a race on the 21st of October and have been following a 12 week training plan pretty religiously. Cut back on swim and bike training in order to do so. Please at my slight increase in speed for shorter distances. Ran 10 miles this past Sunday, very hilly, and sweltering weather. Not fast but got it done. Also able to drink about 4 oz of water during the run, something I previously couldn't tolerate without stitches and stomach cramps. I needed more water so next time will take two small bottles that hold about four to six ounces each.

I have a sprint triathlon in a couple weeks, the the. Half marathon two weeks later. I feel like I'm in good shape for it. Just need cooler weather to help me along. Hating this summer weather lingering so late in the month.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2017, 08:06:17 PM »
My wife just completed her second Ironman Sunday, 144.6 miles swimming, biking and running.    So incredibly proud of her.  Thinking about doing a half Ironman that is 70.3 miles of the ssme.  Maybe a full someday, just not right now.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2017, 06:02:10 AM »
Good luck Ms Peacock! And well done to your wife Bateaux!

I've signed up for my third HM, race day is 26 November. My training is definitely going to include some longer runs.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2017, 06:22:06 AM »
Good luck Marty.  Train hard.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2017, 07:40:51 PM »
Three weeks to go until race day. I ran 11 fairly blissful miles today. Outside temp dropped about 30 degrees overnight - so this morning was almost *cold*. Started out with shorts, tank, and wind breaker and it was wonderful. Ran  10 miles, picked up doughnuts at the neighborhood bakery, ran home and ate them still feeling virtuous.

I have a sprint triathlon next week and will somehow fit my "long run" in.  I think the taper starts soon.

Trying to figure out my "off season" running plan.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2017, 08:13:36 AM »
Got in my last truly long run before tapering: 12 miles. I tried to run it Friday but it was afternoon before I could get started and 88 degrees. Decided to stop at 6 miles and ran the 12 yesterday morning. Much better temperatures of 62 with some intermittent drizzle. My race is 2 weeks out and my group is tapering so next weekends long run is only 6 miles.

The training group leader helped me figure out my headaches. Long runs kill my appetite (after, I can be hungry during but have zero appetite for several hours after). I've experimented with a cup of coffee and some food within 30 minutes of finishing and haven't had the headaches.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2017, 10:09:34 AM »
Sounds like everyone is making solid progress! I'm so jealous of all the folks starting to taper--I'm not even close. I think I have 13 this weekend and 14 the weekend after that. I'm not worried about the distance, but my chronic hip injury is starting to twinge and I'm losing a toenail. It's so easy to let stuff like that knock back the momentum, so I need to double down on cross training and bite the bullet and buy new shoes (ugh). At least one of my SO's college teammates is a Brooks rep, so I get a solid friends and family discount. I wasn't planning on new shoes this training cycle, though.

I feel like I've been flying through my long runs this year, which has been cool. We did 8 at 8:08 on Saturday, and week before last 11 at 8:22 overall with 7:50 and 7:45 splits for the last two miles. My race pace for my first half was ~8:05! It's really amazing to see what you can do with hard work and a few more years of experience. Unfortunately, I'm 29 so it's statistically likely that I'm at my running peak and that I'll never run faster than I can right now. Whomp whomp...

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2017, 01:35:18 PM »
I'm going to miss the "Half Marathon in 2017" target, but yesterday I signed up for the Gary Bjorklund half marathon in June, 2018. Excited! I get to go home, and run along the north shore of Lake Superior for a day :-)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #171 on: October 03, 2017, 06:05:16 PM »
Got in my last truly long run before tapering: 12 miles. I tried to run it Friday but it was afternoon before I could get started and 88 degrees. Decided to stop at 6 miles and ran the 12 yesterday morning. Much better temperatures of 62 with some intermittent drizzle. My race is 2 weeks out and my group is tapering so next weekends long run is only 6 miles.

The training group leader helped me figure out my headaches. Long runs kill my appetite (after, I can be hungry during but have zero appetite for several hours after). I've experimented with a cup of coffee and some food within 30 minutes of finishing and haven't had the headaches.
I was going to say that I often get headaches after long runs.  And I'm generally not hungry after long runs either, not until the next day.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #172 on: October 03, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »
Three weeks to go until race day. I ran 11 fairly blissful miles today. Outside temp dropped about 30 degrees overnight - so this morning was almost *cold*. Started out with shorts, tank, and wind breaker and it was wonderful. Ran  10 miles, picked up doughnuts at the neighborhood bakery, ran home and ate them still feeling virtuous.

I have a sprint triathlon next week and will somehow fit my "long run" in.  I think the taper starts soon.

Trying to figure out my "off season" running plan.
Good luck! i'm still trying to figure out my off season running plan too.  My race was a month ago, and I decided that I wanted to cut back from 3x to 2x a week:

Weds: 3 miles
Saturday: 6-8 miles

Yeah, that didn't happen.  In the first 4 weeks, I ran exactly 4 times. All on the weekend: a 10k race (disappointing finish), 2.6 mile run to the farmer's market, 4.6 mile run to cheer on friends running a 5k, and 3.2 mile run with a group.

I realized that after such a long hard bout of training, I got burned out.  So the only way I'll keep momentum is to pay for it (I have a hard time with that).  I joined a paid road/ trail running group on Sundays, that will be around 3-5 miles.  (Generally plans for 4 miles or 40 minutes.  But I don't do 4 miles in 40 minutes.  Plus my best buddy joined the group and she's just getting into running.  This group is going to be for fun.)

Then, the coach for the uphill half decided to have a regular "maintenance" track group until her next big training group.  Since my Weds morning runs have not happened once, I signed up for that.

So, new plan:
Tues 6 am paid track workout.  Today was ~2.75 miles (100 repeats)
Saturday "long" (free) run.  I may join a free group for this.  I'm going to cut myself some slack and not try for 8 miles.  I think 5 miles is fine, and I might throw in an occasional 10k race.
Sunday "fun mom's group" paid run.  3-5 miles, depends on if my friend is there and the terrain.  I'll be going at her pace if she's there and my own if she's not.  There are plenty of people about our pace (11:00 to 15:00 run or run/walk combo).

We'll see about next year.  I may just do the same half marathons next year that I did this year.  Remember I hate half marathons?  But if I want to do the all uphill one in September (to get a better time, assuming it's not 95F again), then I might as well do the one in May as a warmup.

One of the women in my first "mom's running" group this weekend made a good comment.  I've been trying to challenge myself.  What she said was "my strengths are short and fast.  I've decided to play to my strengths and enjoy it."  So, yeah.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #173 on: October 08, 2017, 02:18:10 PM »
Well, today is a sad day. This morning was the half-marathon that I signed up for in the spring. I didn't run it. For various reasons, mostly due to injuries and lack of training progress, I didn't manage to complete my training plan (I barely got started to be honest), and therefore didn't go to my race.

I guess there's always next year.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: October 08, 2017, 07:58:46 PM »
Great job mm1970! I could never even attempt a 4000 ft elevation gain race.

My race is next Sunday! Haven't done nearly enough regular mileage, but I did get in a 11er last weekend and did 3 miles this weekend. Did a 10 miler 2 weeks beforehand... I'll do 3ish miles on Tuesday then that will be it. I know I'll be able to finish, but the result is going to vary pretty wildly. Hoping for 3-3:15

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #175 on: October 09, 2017, 09:54:09 PM »
My race is in two weeks.

Meanwhile this weekend I competed in a sprint triathlon and placed first in my age group on Saturday. On Sunday I ran the Army 10miler. Overcome by heat and inadequate feuling post triathlon. It was a strugglefest but I got done right about the 2 hour mark.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2017, 08:56:45 AM »
My race is in two weeks.

Meanwhile this weekend I competed in a sprint triathlon and placed first in my age group on Saturday. On Sunday I ran the Army 10miler. Overcome by heat and inadequate feuling post triathlon. It was a strugglefest but I got done right about the 2 hour mark.

If it makes you feel better, Facebook made it look like everyone was having a rough time at the Army 10 miler! Even super-badass fitness instructor active duty multi-marathoner-types, who didn't do triathlons the day before. The humidity was just impossible.

I did 13 on Sunday, which will be my second-longest run of the training cycle. It wasn't too bad (despite the deathweather), since I was running with a friend whose pace is usually about a minute slower than mine. If I hadn't been running at such a relaxed pace, I would have died.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: October 10, 2017, 07:30:41 PM »
My race is in two weeks.

If it makes you feel better, Facebook made it look like everyone was having a rough time at the Army 10 miler! Even super-badass fitness instructor active duty multi-marathoner-types, who didn't do triathlons the day before. The humidity was just impossible.

I did 13 on Sunday, which will be my second-longest run of the training cycle. It wasn't too bad (despite the deathweather), since I was running with a friend whose pace is usually about a minute slower than mine. If I hadn't been running at such a relaxed pace, I would have died.

The weather was horrible. I don't think they had enough water stations for the weather - not their fault because in "normal" weather what they had would have been fine.

I was useless most of the day Sunday aside from eating and eating and eating. Rested Monday and Tuesday - back to training tomorrow morning with 6-8 miles inside on the boring treadmill. 10 days ish until race day.

WIll probably do the 1/2 marathon back to back w/ the 10K marine corps run the next day - because I obviously don't learn from past mistakes. Someone offered me a free bib for it and I want the finisher medal!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2017, 01:56:10 PM »
My race is in two weeks.

Yay for first place!

Oh, I remember the Army 10 miler.  Assuming it's the same one (I used to live in DC).  I never ran it, but like the MC Marathon, I would go and cheer on friends (I was in the Navy back then).

I'm sorry about the struggle-fest - heat is my kryptonite, as you all know from my results posted above.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2017, 02:15:30 PM »
I did my long run this week on Wednesday and yeah it was really humid. Was aiming for 12-13k but ended up stopping at 9.

The section from Km 8-9 is all uphill and I suffered badly through it. Walked the rest of the way home which was a good warm-down actually.

6 weeks away from my next race. Plenty of time to ramp up the training distances. Will try again for 13k this next week.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: October 14, 2017, 07:51:37 PM »
Half marathon completed. I survived...but wasn't sure there for awhile. It was 87 degrees with high humidity...lots of the course was in the sun. Had an unexpected asthma attack around mile 6. Haven't had one for a long time, including throughout my training. Maybe too much heat and humidity? I've been running when it's cooler than it was during the race. Managed to cross the finish line (at a walk by that point) in around 3 hours and 20ish minutes. I was hoping to break 3 hours and was on pace to do that for the first half. Oh well. Technically I finished, which was my primary goal. I'm trying not to be disappointed. I'm going to get a script for a rescue inhaler...don't want to have that experience again. DH wants to run with me next year. Maybe I'll try again. Hopefully we won't have a freak October heat wave again.

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #181 on: October 16, 2017, 12:09:55 PM »
Four weeks left until race day.  The morning temps drop drastically starting tomorrow, I'm quite curious to see if my runs improve because last week's humidity was brutal.  My times are getting faster which is motivating.  I've gone from 9:30 to 8:45 minute miles since I started running in August, all I need is to run 9:09 mm to reach my goal for the half. 

I'm curious to see if I will continue running though winter or retreat back to the comforts of the weight room.  It is so tempting to just focus on what comes easy to me. 

I hope everyone that is battling injuries feels better soon!!! 

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #182 on: October 16, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »
Sounds like everyone is making solid progress! I'm so jealous of all the folks starting to taper--I'm not even close. I think I have 13 this weekend and 14 the weekend after that. I'm not worried about the distance, but my chronic hip injury is starting to twinge and I'm losing a toenail. It's so easy to let stuff like that knock back the momentum, so I need to double down on cross training and bite the bullet and buy new shoes (ugh). At least one of my SO's college teammates is a Brooks rep, so I get a solid friends and family discount. I wasn't planning on new shoes this training cycle, though.

I feel like I've been flying through my long runs this year, which has been cool. We did 8 at 8:08 on Saturday, and week before last 11 at 8:22 overall with 7:50 and 7:45 splits for the last two miles. My race pace for my first half was ~8:05! It's really amazing to see what you can do with hard work and a few more years of experience. Unfortunately, I'm 29 so it's statistically likely that I'm at my running peak and that I'll never run faster than I can right now. Whomp whomp...

This is not motivating for 38 year old me (double whomp, whomp).

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #183 on: October 16, 2017, 12:42:53 PM »
Half marathon completed. I survived...but wasn't sure there for awhile. It was 87 degrees with high humidity...lots of the course was in the sun. Had an unexpected asthma attack around mile 6. Haven't had one for a long time, including throughout my training. Maybe too much heat and humidity? I've been running when it's cooler than it was during the race. Managed to cross the finish line (at a walk by that point) in around 3 hours and 20ish minutes. I was hoping to break 3 hours and was on pace to do that for the first half. Oh well. Technically I finished, which was my primary goal. I'm trying not to be disappointed. I'm going to get a script for a rescue inhaler...don't want to have that experience again. DH wants to run with me next year. Maybe I'll try again. Hopefully we won't have a freak October heat wave again.

Nice job Mongoose!! I forget if you have run one before?

did you follow any specific program for your pace or do a run/walk type training? My wife is considering signing up for one next April with my sister and her goal would be finishing in their 3 hour 30 minute time limit so just curious what worked for you.

Humidity/heat sounds brutal, been a crazy fall everywhere it sounds like :/

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #184 on: October 16, 2017, 02:30:26 PM »

Well, I'm also a lot more experienced with running so I know a more about what is and is not achievable for me with a certain baseline level of work :) I could run faster if I wanted to eat/breathe/sleep running, but I just...don't. I love to run, but I also have a lot of other things that I want to put my time and energy into. Anomalies like last year's race aside, I have a good sense of what my output will be with a given level of input. Whereas you're just starting to begin your journey--it's so exciting to see those chunks of time coming off each mile!

I really fucked up some personal scheduling and completely missed the 14 miler. I had a small medical procedure on Friday and have barely been able to use my arm since then. I could barely wash my hair Saturday and Sunday; anything more physically rigorous than walking around the block was totally out. I haven't decided if I'm going to try to make it up this weekend or not. I increasingly DGAF about this race but I've already put in so much effort, it seems idiotic to half-ass it now.

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #185 on: October 16, 2017, 03:06:06 PM »

Well, I'm also a lot more experienced with running so I know a more about what is and is not achievable for me with a certain baseline level of work :) I could run faster if I wanted to eat/breathe/sleep running, but I just...don't. I love to run, but I also have a lot of other things that I want to put my time and energy into. Anomalies like last year's race aside, I have a good sense of what my output will be with a given level of input. Whereas you're just starting to begin your journey--it's so exciting to see those chunks of time coming off each mile!

I really fucked up some personal scheduling and completely missed the 14 miler. I had a small medical procedure on Friday and have barely been able to use my arm since then. I could barely wash my hair Saturday and Sunday; anything more physically rigorous than walking around the block was totally out. I haven't decided if I'm going to try to make it up this weekend or not. I increasingly DGAF about this race but I've already put in so much effort, it seems idiotic to half-ass it now.

I was just teasing.  Every running book I read talks about the "older runner" and then I realize they are talking about people my age.  hahaha. 

I don't think you should make it up just continue as planned.  I went through a slump about two weeks back and had some teammates go through the same this past week.  I hope you feel better soon! 

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2017, 07:41:03 PM »

did you follow any specific program for your pace or do a run/walk type training? My wife is considering signing up for one next April with my sister and her goal would be finishing in their 3 hour 30 minute time limit so just curious what worked for you.

No, I'd never run one before. I did a few 5ks years ago when I was a kid. Other than this, I hadn't run for years...and that really means zero running. It was a couch to half program at the local parks and rec department. I started with 1.5 miles of run 2 minutes/walk 2 minutes and we worked up from there. We had a solid 20 weeks to build up mileages (every 4-5 weeks was a low mileage "rest week"). This race had a 5 hour time limit but all the race walkers were across the line by 4 hours.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #187 on: October 17, 2017, 03:06:10 PM »

I know.  I was fastest at 39.  Cannot imagine being that speed again.  I'm 47!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #188 on: October 17, 2017, 03:07:22 PM »

Heat blows.  There's really no way to prepare for it if you aren't training in it.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #189 on: October 17, 2017, 05:34:14 PM »

No, I'd never run one before. I did a few 5ks years ago when I was a kid. Other than this, I hadn't run for years...and that really means zero running. It was a couch to half program at the local parks and rec department. I started with 1.5 miles of run 2 minutes/walk 2 minutes and we worked up from there. We had a solid 20 weeks to build up mileages (every 4-5 weeks was a low mileage "rest week"). This race had a 5 hour time limit but all the race walkers were across the line by 4 hours.

Well if it was your first then double congrats :)

Thanks for the info, I've heard of couch to 5k. 20 weeks sounds like a good steady build up. I've only allowed myself 12 but could run a 5K pretty comfortably at the start. The one shes looking at is about 6 months away so certainly 20+ weeks available, of course a bunch of them are in the dead of winter though.

Thanks for the response. I think she would like it and has been wanting to get in shape and lose weight so I'll see if she mentions it again soon and maybe try and help/encourage her. Always a fine line with spouses!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2017, 09:43:04 AM »
Always a fine line with spouses!
Definitely. :-)  I tried to get DH to join me back in May but he didn't have the time and not a ton of interest I think. Started making noises towards the end and ran some shorter distances with me a few times. He's planning on running with me over the winter to build up to 5K levels and do the training group next year. I'll do it with him and get a redo. Hopefully it won't be almost 90 degrees next October when it is race day!

I'm going to run a couple of 7K trail races over the winter to keep my motivation up until Spring. Plus my daughter has a 5k (her first) in November that I'm going to run with her. I definitely want to keep going...don't want to have to repeat the first weeks of starting running. Those were brutal.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:44:50 AM by Mongoose »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2017, 05:56:38 PM »
Half marathon done last weekend at the Baltimore running festival. I was hoping for 2 hoursish and ended up at 2:23 which was good because it was so hot and a pretty hilly course. Haven’t run much this week because my hips and knees are a bit angry this week.

Qualified for age group nationals for Olympic distance triathlons, so have some training goals for next year.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2017, 10:42:08 AM »
Ran my 3rd half of the year yesterday.  Time was ok... not my fastest, but not the slowest.  I stopped training regularly after the half I ran in August because reasons (none of them good).  I've got one more this year on Thanksgiving.  I'll hopefully get off my but and train better for this one, but I am planning on doing it as a run/walk.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #193 on: October 30, 2017, 06:42:41 AM »
Way to go on the AG qualification, MsPeacock! And good luck with your next race, 10dollars--this is a great time of year to be running, so I hope that your training goes well for your Thanksgiving race.

I did my last "real" long run of the training cycle this weekend. We have 8 on Saturday, then it's race day! Crazy how fast it's all gone by.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2017, 12:20:53 PM »
My half was 2 weeks ago and I didn't make my goal of 3:00 but finished in 3:04. Bought 2 new pairs of shoes at the expo and I haven't been for a single run since. Have had a few things going on but I feel super unmotivated now with my race over. Need to find that get up and go again!

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2017, 02:10:15 PM »
My half was 2 weeks ago and I didn't make my goal of 3:00 but finished in 3:04. Bought 2 new pairs of shoes at the expo and I haven't been for a single run since. Have had a few things going on but I feel super unmotivated now with my race over. Need to find that get up and go again!

Sounds like it's time for you to sign up for your next race :)

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: November 09, 2017, 07:59:22 AM »
Not sure if this is a good place to ask. My running shoes will have 314 miles on them at the end of the week. I bought them in May. They still feel comfortable and don't have any places falling apart. My question is when to replace them? I've heard answers from 300 to 600 miles to "when you start getting bad pain after every run" (which I would like to avoid!). I don't do anything but run in them if that matters. Experienced Mustachian running opinions?

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #197 on: November 09, 2017, 10:49:07 AM »
Happy to help, Mongoose! 300 miles is a good rule of thumb, but honestly, if they still feel good; the tread isn't ridiculously worn down (there will be a layer of one color sole over another color sole; you shouldn't be able to see too much of the base color layer); and you don't have any achiness or joint pain after your runs, I'd keep wearing them. My personal triggers are 1) blisters popping up after long runs if all other factors have remained constant, or 2) achy joints and feet after long runs. I would definitely not wait for bad pain, but for me I'm fine to let it go until I start to get vaguely unpleasant aches after long runs (that can't be explained by "I did a long run"). As a new runner, I would err on the side of caution since you're still learning your body's signals, but I'd let them go for now and re-evaluate how you're feeling next month.

Only using them for running will also help extend their lifespan, so good job there!

Race is in two days! I've been sick all week. First time this has ever happened to me right before a big race. Pretty bummed since I haven't run since Sunday, but I'm telling myself it's just an extreme taper. I'll try to go a couple miles tonight and see how I feel.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: November 13, 2017, 06:56:48 AM »
Race report: As predicted in my post on 11/9, it was pretty horrible. Hands-down the most painful half I've ever done. The first 7.5 miles went smoothly, but it's like my body just didn't have the next gear to push hard through the last few miles. I was telling myself to go and my body just...wouldn't. It's like nothing I've ever experienced, outside of dehydration or hot weather: I started getting dizzy and wobbly, my arms went numb, and I couldn't breathe. My training went fine and I should have been fine to cruise in around 1:44/43, so the only explanation that I can come up with is that I had some lingering effects from having just been so sick.

I still ended up around 1:45:30, which isn't objectively terrible (it's not even my slowest-ever half), but it's hard to avoid feeling as though I wasted a training cycle. I might hop in a 10k Turkey Trot. Depending on who shows up I might be AG competitive. We'll see.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: November 13, 2017, 05:50:41 PM »
Not sure if this is a good place to ask. My running shoes will have 314 miles on them at the end of the week. I bought them in May. They still feel comfortable and don't have any places falling apart. My question is when to replace them? I've heard answers from 300 to 600 miles to "when you start getting bad pain after every run" (which I would like to avoid!). I don't do anything but run in them if that matters. Experienced Mustachian running opinions?

Buy a new pair. Run in them. If you don't notice a substantive difference, alternative between new and old until you notice the old ones becoming less supportive.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!