Author Topic: Half Marathon in 2017  (Read 35172 times)

Izybat

• Stubble
Re: Half Marathon in 2017
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2017, 04:22:33 PM »
Well, I ran several times this week. I did two runs that were 2 miles each (run/walk), and then today I tried to run and couldn't, so I walked 2 miles. Total weekly mileage 4 or 6 depending on how you count.

Ever since I realized that I shuffle when I run, instead of running the 'proper' way, I've been trying to fix my form. Unfortunately, what this means is that new muscles are getting used that weren't before and they're rather sore. My hamstrings and my glutes aren't happy at all, and unfortunately, they're pulling on my lower back. I have a really bad lower back, so this caused enough lower back pain that I couldn't run today (hence walking instead of running.

Trying not to be discouraged again so quickly.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2017, 06:50:58 PM »
Ran my first half of the year yesterday.  Time was 2:41ish, which I'm ok with.  Last year I ran this one in 2:39 with better training.  I took up a run/walk/run strategy after messing up my hip with a lack of training for two halves last fall.  The run/walk/run (along with twice weekly yoga) keeps the hip pain at a bare minimum, and it doesn't really seem to be hurting my time at all.

I'm signed up for a few more halves this year, and have roped a friend in to helping make sure I keep on my training.  He's not a runner, but is trying to keep up on his own exercise.  We've decided that we will do 5 times a week of whatever exercise we agree to (running and yoga for me).  We keep track of when we miss days, and if someone hits 5 missed workouts, they owe the other person a meal.  We used the same method to give up caffeine and to be more punctual.  So it seems to work.

My next scheduled run is August 26th, with a possible addition on the 19th if my schedule works out.  Hoping for a PR.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2017, 03:48:06 PM »
Joining in! My half is Oct 15 - St Louis Rock n Roll.

this will be my second half. I Did Disney Tinkerbell in May 2015. final time was 3:03 (13:20 mile avg), and that included a bathroom stop and the thousands of people who would just start walking directly in front of me causing me to have to go sideways or temporarily slow down til the hoards passed them. everyone says Disney races are slow, not meant for PRs, too many people doing them for fun and not following race friendly etiquette.

my goal for that race was sub 3:00 and I was pretty bummed it didn't officially happen. My phone said I'd done 13.4 mi, and combining that with the bathroom break, I was probably closer to 2:57.

regardless, this time I want a REAL sub 3:00! I've been running 3x a week and I am averaging 3 miles 2x during the week, and my long weekend runs so far have been 4 miles. I need to get back on the Galloway site and print out my prescribed distances so I don't fall behind.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
So, today we ran 4.8 miles with a 1600 ft elevation gain.  Roughly mile 2 to mile 7 on the actual course.  And it SUCKED.  Worst part, it's not even the hardest part of the course.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2017, 09:46:21 AM »
Joining! I'm running the Richmond, VA half in November, starting a community training program in August ($ but it doubles as social time), and am currently working on getting my carcass back into something approaching shape. I've been running three times a week for all of July and this weekend will get up to five miles for my long run. We've had a heat wave so it's been really tough to get out there, but I haven't skipped a planned run yet.

I ran a very unexpected three-minute PR at the same race last year. I don't think lightning is going to strike twice, so my goal is run no slower than my previous PR (1:44).

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »
My running situation is starting to really take a toll. For whatever reason (and it is likely a combination of many reasons) I don't feel like I'm making any progress. I've had several injuries/ouchies that had to be dealt with, but ultimately, I think it's my mind that's holding me back. I feel like I can't do it, so my body is telling me I can't.  My race isn't until October, but at the rate I'm training (or really, not training), I'm not sure if I can still make it or not. Sigh.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2017, 07:47:25 AM »
My running situation is starting to really take a toll. For whatever reason (and it is likely a combination of many reasons) I don't feel like I'm making any progress. I've had several injuries/ouchies that had to be dealt with, but ultimately, I think it's my mind that's holding me back. I feel like I can't do it, so my body is telling me I can't.  My race isn't until October, but at the rate I'm training (or really, not training), I'm not sure if I can still make it or not. Sigh.

That sounds really frustrating! It's so demotivating to feel like you're trying and trying, and not making any progress. Running can be such a freaking slog, especially over the summer--don't know how the weather is where you are, but I keep reminding myself that the more I grind now, the easier it's going to feel in September and October when it's 70 degrees instead of 95. Running also doesn't always lend itself to linear progress. There are a lot of plateaus that seem endless, punctuated with sudden breakthroughs, as long as you can stick with it and trust the process.

I know you said you've been dealing with some injuries. Have you considered stepping up your cross-training game, if you're not already doing that? Strengthening your core can help with a lot of mechanical issues. Plus the stronger you are overall, the easier those runs are going to feel. Can you bike, swim, or try something like aqua-running if the pavement pounding is getting to you?

And of course, you can do this! If you're committed and do the work between now and October, there's no reason you can't finish a half by then, especially if you're open to run/walking.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2017, 01:55:32 PM »
Izzybat....sorry to hear that you're struggling. I second what fluffmuffin suggests. And definitely the encouragement. A run/walk half is still a half; I'm doing that for mine because I need to take it slow restarting running after 13 years off. And the heat is a major problem for feeling progress. We're running inside (track and treadmill) in my group this week and the rest of our summer runs are in survival mode until it cools off. Our coach is encouraging longer walk breaks if we run outside. Hang in there...

I'm having trouble fitting in my runs. As I mentioned, we're inside (heat index of 105+) until the weather gets better. That complicates finding time because it's more difficult to keep the kids occupied (when we can go outside, they bike with me and are therefore busy). Plus, we had a family emergency so I'm trying to squeeze stuff in between trips out of town. If I want to get my training mileage for the week, I need to put in another 3.5 miles tomorrow before heading out again. My long run this week was supposed to be 5 miles but I had to cut it off at 3.5 and go tend to another issue. I don't know how much/if it will throw me off track to not get in a full long run (or maybe even my weekly mileage). After tomorrow, I won't have an opportunity to run until next Monday.

I did a 5 mile run/walk last Saturday. Run-walk on the way out and ran the 2.5 miles back from the turn around. Never run that far before. We have 6 miles scheduled for July 29 and then I have a 5K the 30th.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
Way to go on your longest run ever, Mongoose! It always feels amazing to knock down a mileage number you thought you'd never be able to handle.

I'll be slogging through 5 this weekend. My boyfriend and I are going to do a trail run Sunday with the local running store, so hopefully having people to talk to and a new environment will help it pass quickly. I'm planning on 6 the week after, then cut back to 4 the first weekend of August, which will be my training program's first group run. I don't know what it is--I really struggle with getting up to 6 miles at a time. It's not like it's THAT much harder to run 6 miles than 5 (or so I'm trying to remind myself right now). Once I get to 6 it's smooth sailing unless I act like a moron, so it's definitely mental.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2017, 07:22:30 PM »
It sounds like you're going through what I went through.  For a long time I couldn't get past the 4-mile mark while training.  For some reason I was drained and muscles had stiffened to the point of causing pain.  But I just kept training and training; suddenly one day I hit the 4-mile mark and energy level was high and muscles felt fine.  I increased my training exponentially at that point.  Just keep training and embracing the adversity.  It'll bolster your mental toughness, and you'll learn a lot about yourself.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2017, 08:15:48 AM »
How did everyone's weekend runs go?

To quote my high school cross country coach, mine was "character building" aka absolutely effing awful. But I made it without walking and five miles can't hurt that much again in this training cycle. Right??

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2017, 09:39:46 AM »
Ran 2 5ks this week and 2 miles of hills on a trail. Feeling great! Then we rearranged some furniture and I stubbed/broke the little toe on my right foot. Evil coffee table! It feels ok in my shoe but I cut my long run off at 4 miles (instead of 6) because it was throbbing. DS also brought home a cold. Kind of a disappointing end to the week but most of it was good. Total mileage = 12. We're scheduled for a "rest week" so I won't have much mileage this coming week. I do have a 5k I signed up to run tomorrow....hopefully I'll feel up to it.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2017, 02:58:43 PM »
Did 7 miles today. Felt good at the time, but it's my longest run in about 2 yrs and I know it's going to hurt later! I've missed a midweek run 1 day for the last 2 weeks and was feeling pretty distressed about needing to keep my mileage up. Still averaging 10 miles a week.

I can't believe yiure running w a broken toe, mongoose! Sounds awful.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2017, 03:33:09 PM »
I'm going to try to get get trained up for one in October. Been doing sprint triathlons. Less time to bike now, so I can spend a bit more energy on running.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2017, 01:54:26 PM »
Ran a 5k race today. Was feeling good at the end except for my one toe being sore. I could've easily doubled it. My friend and I ran the whole way. She found out this week that her fitbit was logging at 1 mile for every 2/3 that she ran so we took it very easy. She had only been running 2 miles max in training. We also don't have a correct time because we stopped mid-race to help an elderly lady retrieve her run away wheeled walker and load it into her car etc. I'm guessing it was around 39-40 minutes of running. (Classic for me: something weird had to happen. Would have been nice to get a time but oh well.)

Feeling good. Rest week so I only have 6 more scheduled miles to complete.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2017, 02:52:19 PM »
At this point, it doesn't really look like the half marathon I signed up for is going to work out for me. I've been struggling at lot this spring with my running, not the least of which was figuring out (about a month ago) that part of the reason why I'm so slow is that instead of running in proper form, I shuffle when I run.

My husband signed up for a 5K in October (the week after my Half Marathon is supposed to be). He wants me to run it with him, and given all the trouble I've been having, I decided to start over from scratch with my training. Today we did the first day of C25K together. It felt much harder than it  should have for someone who has been (nominally) running several times a week for 7 months, but hopefully this time I'll train properly, with correct form.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2017, 03:46:12 PM »
I've been pretty slack in posting an update here well because...I haven't really been able to do a lot of training with work going super crazy the past 3 months.

Last week I completed my annual local fun run of 11.1km. Last year's time was 59:55, this year 60:38. Having only lost 43 seconds and doing so much less lead up running actually meant that I was really happy with it.

This Saturday there's a 10k really close to home which I'm going to enter into. They have a half marathon option but I'm not going to stretch myself just yet with that... bit worried about injuries with the soccer season just ended and I've picked up a niggle or two.

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2017, 06:57:33 AM »
Joining! I'm running the Richmond, VA half in November, starting a community training program in August ($ but it doubles as social time), and am currently working on getting my carcass back into something approaching shape. I've been running three times a week for all of July and this weekend will get up to five miles for my long run. We've had a heat wave so it's been really tough to get out there, but I haven't skipped a planned run yet.

I ran a very unexpected three-minute PR at the same race last year. I don't think lightning is going to strike twice, so my goal is run no slower than my previous PR (1:44).

I'm joining and I"m running the same race as you and I also joined the training team.  My goal is 1:59:59 so I'll be way behind you but I'm excited.  This will be my second marathon, but that was 5 years ago. 

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2017, 07:42:14 AM »

I'm joining and I"m running the same race as you and I also joined the training team.  My goal is 1:59:59 so I'll be way behind you but I'm excited.  This will be my second marathon, but that was 5 years ago. 

Awesome TX2RVA, see you out there on Saturday amidst the 800 other people :) I hope you enjoy the training team--last year was my first year with them, and I ended up with a really great group. Everyone is so supportive and positive.

This week was kind of a struggle for me. I had a sick dog and some crazy scheduling stuff, so I only managed to run three times for a total of 13 miles. It's okay though, I was due a cutback week. And it finally--FINALLY--seems like the heat wave has broken. I've been feeling really discouraged with my pace, but with runs in 60-70 degrees with minimal humidity over the weekend (instead of 85-95 with like, 95% humidity...) I was running 20-30 seconds/mile faster and feeling so much better. I really suck at running in the heat, which is unfortunate in my geographic location.

The pup is also turning one tomorrow, so she can start running with me! (And maybe my boyfriend, since she's a live wire and could probably use two runs a day...but he's super-fast so she'll start with me until she gets in shape.) We've done some casual run/walks with her and she's seemed okay, but she's a complete moron so this will be an adventure...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2017, 02:37:03 PM »
Ooh boy, this was a week.  I was on vacation, and missed 4 training runs with the group.  So I did my own thing:

1. Hiked 2.5 miles from 10,000 to 11,000+ ft. (and back) - 5 miles total.
2.  Ran 30 minutes of hill repeats on vacation, elevation 6500 ft (I live at sea level)
3.  Ran an easy 35 minutes along the river (6500 ft)
4.  Ran the course that the team did on Sat, but I did it on Sunday (got back Sat night).
- 6.8 miles with a 2862 ft elevation gain. 
- First 4 miles were great, I could feel the help from being back at sea level
- last 1.5 miles sucked so bad.  I wasn't sure I was going to make it to the top.  It was very hot, and I was getting light headed.

Total mileage: 11.6 + 5 miles of hiking.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2017, 09:22:30 AM »
I've really slacked on my running this summer and pretty much everything else fitness wise. I've consistently run 3-4 times for 10-12 total miles each week and rode my bike/swam at least 1-2 times a week, but completely dropped all strength training since early June. Zero speed or hill work (I mean, one time I ran while at my sister-in-law's house and about died on the hills, but outside that...) Time to get back at it!

I have some 5k & 10K's this fall with my running club and a Half Marathon in Dec. My job might have some free entries into a local half in November, but I can't decide if I want to put in for it or not. If I did it, I'd want to do a PR attempt (lovely flat course for it, usually great weather!). I'm not sure I have the fitness base from this summer to jump into a fall PR training plan. Last PR was set at a different race that same weekend, but my summer mileage had been consistently 20-25 miles plus biking/swimming/strength training. I know I have a enough base to safely run a half and even post a solid time, but to PR? Maybe... Maybe not... I was also about 7 pounds lighter in weight.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2017, 02:45:56 PM »
I've slacked on the running quite a bit lately.  Might go for a walk tonight and listen to podcasts.

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2017, 02:26:04 PM »
Half-marathon training started this past Saturday.  The first group run wasn't bad, but this Saturday should be much better since the starting times will be staggered.  I'm going to try to follow the program as written except I have to move some days around because I have the November Project every Wednesday.  So for the upcoming week:

Sunday: 3 mi.
Monday: Cross-train a.m. | Barre p.m.
Tuesday 3mi + gym a.m. | yoga p.m.
Wednesday: November Project a.m.
Thursday: gym a.m. | 3mi. p.m.
Friday: cross-train a.m.
Saturday: 3mi a.m.

I'll take rest days as needed on Mondays or Fridays. 

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2017, 07:47:34 AM »
TX2RVA, glad you had a good first run! It definitely gets better after the first week with the staggered start times. Personally, it was really nice to be running with people again--I always go so much faster.

My big running development is how well the idiot dog is doing! She's been fantastic. We need to work on turning, but she's figured out "run" and "whoah" commands, doesn't swerve in front of me like she does on walks, and basically trots in a perfect straight line two feet out from my left. She's run with me five times at this point for a max of two miles. We'll stick with two miles for the next week then get up to three. Hopefully by the end of the month she can handle all of my non-long-run mileage, weather permitting.

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »

Midweek update: Yoga was cancelled yesterday due to the soggy ground.  This morning's November Project workout was great.  I signed up for the half/training team just so I could get better at the NP workouts :p  I'm sure it is way too early to notice any changes but I felt much better and was able to stay towards the lead pack during the workouts.  They have a pop-up workout on Friday that is nothing but stairs/hills -- I'm worried it is going to make my Saturday run with my group just awful, but oh well.

--

@Fluffmuffin -- that is awesome you've trained your pup to run with you.  I had a Lab years ago and she nearly killed me on a run! 

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2017, 09:41:33 AM »
This has not been my best week of running. I left to go visit family right after Saturday's rainy group run, and had carefully packed all of my running clothes...and left my shoes sitting right inside the front door. So no Sunday run.

Then Monday I felt really sick all day, so no run.

Tuesday was cross-training. No run.

Today is run or die. And I might die because the humidity is brutal.

My boyfriend took the moron dog for a run over the weekend. She PRed in the mile by about two minutes...Dad is a lot faster than Mom.

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2017, 08:00:48 AM »

Completed all my scheduled workouts last week and I'm on track to do the same this week.  I feel very slow and I think running 3 miles is much harder than running 6 but I'm sticking to the training plan as it is written. 

These mornings have been so HUMID!  I nearly died at the November Project yesterday.  I'm running with my group tonight so hopefully that won't kill me. 

@fluffmuffin - I enjoy running in the rain, it disguises the sweat! 

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2017, 11:26:34 AM »
Finally hitting most of my training runs regularly due to the deal I've got worked out with a friend. 

I edited the deal a bit yesterday so as to hit all of them...  If I don't keep to my schedule, I lose half a point for the workout.  i.e. if I schedule a run at 8:00am, and I don't go until 8:30am, or I do yoga instead, or some such thing, I don't get full credit for the workout.  However, I still need to finish the thing, or I lose a full point. 

Thus far, neither my friend nor I have lost any points, although I expect under the new terms, I might start.  We'll see.

I'm now around halfway through the sub 2:30 half program on runkeeper.  Yesterday I managed to run one of my fast miles at 10:17... 50 seconds less than my last fast mile for this round of training!  I'm quite pleased.

My next scheduled half is a week from Saturday.  And I'm trying to decide if I'm willing to drive a ways to one in September. 

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2017, 12:36:16 PM »
Missed 10 days of training due to a family emergency....only squeezed 2 2-mile runs in that time. Rejoined my group for 8 miles yesterday.... I managed but it felt terrible, especially the last mile. Plus I'm super sore today. I hope this isn't going to be like starting over.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2017, 05:48:31 AM »
I feel like the biggest struggle with training can be re-starting after life circumstances disrupt your routine, so way to go Mongoose and 10dollars for getting back out there :) And Mongoose, it won't be like starting over. It's really hard to go from 2 miles to 8--I'm sure you would have felt fine for a shorter 3-5 miler.

Did 6 with the training team on Sunday. My running buddy and I started super conservatively since the humidity was awful and we both felt like shit, so we were pretty much by ourselves for the first three miles since everyone else on the team went blasting out. But then magically around mile three we started rolling people back up, and ended up finishing mid-pack. I've never understood the appeal of starting fast and then dying, since I hear they give out awards based on where you finish at the end, not at mile 2. And these people are all experienced runners! I just don't get it.

#teamnegativesplit

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »
Did our last big long run Saturday before the race in 2 weeks.  Time to taper!

10.8 miles, 3797 ft of elevation gain, finished the training run at 2 seconds under 3 hours. 

My hamstrings started off tight and basically hated me the whole run.  That sucked.

I'm getting better at calorie management. I basically need Gu every 40-45 minutes.  Probably will need 5 on the race, used 4 this week.

young_money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »
Hello MMMers.  First post and thought it'd be fitting to start off here, seeing as this is a goal I've recently set myself. 

Signed up out of the blue a month ago for my first ever half-marathon, which is towards the end of September.  Furthest distance I'd run before signing up was 10km, but that was a year ago while I was relatively fit.  My main goal is only not to walk at any point, but secretly I'd like to hit a sub-1:50 time!  Not sure how realistic this is. 

So far, I've knocked off 3 minutes on my 5km since starting (from 25:00 to 22:00) and am feeling great.  Looking forward to logging my journey with everyone else in this thread.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2017, 06:54:17 PM »
Welcome young_money! If you can do 10k you can do a half...just don't slack on your training. Love the ambitious goal time!

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »
TX2RVA, glad you had a good first run! It definitely gets better after the first week with the staggered start times. Personally, it was really nice to be running with people again--I always go so much faster.

My big running development is how well the idiot dog is doing! She's been fantastic. We need to work on turning, but she's figured out "run" and "whoah" commands, doesn't swerve in front of me like she does on walks, and basically trots in a perfect straight line two feet out from my left. She's run with me five times at this point for a max of two miles. We'll stick with two miles for the next week then get up to three. Hopefully by the end of the month she can handle all of my non-long-run mileage, weather permitting.

It is funny the things you don't notice until you become a runner.  I never realized just how darn humid Richmond is in the summer or how hilly Northside can be :-|

I did hill repeats this morning after my 3 mile run.  My form had been off because I always lean forward so today I stayed upright and took smaller steps.  It was much easier.

My legs have been so heavy the last week or so.  Yesterday I actually took a rest day and stretched for over an hour. What a difference!!!  Stretching... whodathunkit!

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2017, 07:35:42 AM »
Two days ago, I ran for the first time in over a month!  I could only handle a mile, and my legs were sore for two days!  Today they feel a lot better.

young_money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2017, 10:00:31 AM »
Posted a personal-best (distance-wise) of 14km two days ago.  Was feeling utterly rubbish early (first 5km) but eventually settled into my stride and felt really good for most of the remainder.  To those in this thread discouraged at all - it gets easier!  I remember huffing and puffing trying to finish 5km not too long ago.  Now I have some genuine belief that I can take down this half marathon!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2017, 06:35:01 PM »
Weekly mileage: 17. Tuesday was hill repeats followed by a trail run. 9 mile long run today. My legs felt like lead the last two. (Full disclosure: I'm doing run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute). I'd been struggling all week with an evilly tight muscle but it's (temporarily?) let loose. Because I appear to love torture, I then went and played a softball game with the kids. :-)

For the upcoming week, we're going up to a 10 mile long run. It still seems like a horrific distance to cover but I've definitely improved since May.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2017, 06:39:59 PM »
Ran my second half of the year this morning and PR'd!  Came it at about 2 hours and 27 minutes, a full 10 minutes better than my last PR!  I'll grant you, this was a massively downhill half... It lost more than 3000' in elevation.  So if my next half in two months comes in around this time, I'll be thrilled. :)

Romag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2017, 08:01:17 AM »
Ran my second half of the year this morning and PR'd!  Came it at about 2 hours and 27 minutes, a full 10 minutes better than my last PR!  I'll grant you, this was a massively downhill half... It lost more than 3000' in elevation.  So if my next half in two months comes in around this time, I'll be thrilled. :)

Good job!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2017, 10:54:04 AM »
Weekly mileage: 17. Tuesday was hill repeats followed by a trail run. 9 mile long run today. My legs felt like lead the last two. (Full disclosure: I'm doing run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute). I'd been struggling all week with an evilly tight muscle but it's (temporarily?) let loose. Because I appear to love torture, I then went and played a softball game with the kids. :-)

For the upcoming week, we're going up to a 10 mile long run. It still seems like a horrific distance to cover but I've definitely improved since May.

I also use the run 4 min / walk 1 min.  On flat ground, or slight hills. With this almost-all-uphill-half coming up, all bets are off.  I generally end up running only 1/3 to 1/2 because some areas are just REALLY steep.

Big race is on Sunday.  We are tapering!  The really really bad thing is that we are expected to get a heat wave.  Low of 67/ high of 86 in the city.  Which means it could be in the 90s on the mountain.

It's pretty common this time of year, and I knew that when I registered.  But...it's been unseasonably cool during ALL of the training runs, so I'm not used to the heat.  This might get ugly.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2017, 11:49:06 AM »
Good luck on Sunday, mm1970! That's a huge bummer about the weather conditions. Don't forget to adjust your pace and time goals--it will only get ugly if you try to be a hero in conditions you aren't acclimated to.

I'm chugging along. We're out of town this weekend for a wedding so I'm going to have to do 9 by myself...haven't decided if I'm going to try to wake up early and do it Friday before we leave, or if I'm going to go for a change of location on Saturday. I'm worried about leaving it until Saturday because we're probably going to be up late Friday night with the rehearsal dinner etc.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2017, 03:32:45 PM »
Yes good luck mm1970, I've got one on Sunday too!

I am not really sure how a hack like me tapers (always had a chuckle whenever an Australian swimmer blamed their tapering after a poor showing), but I've been sorta putting my feet up over the last couple of weeks.

Should be fresh for the weekend :)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »
Good luck on Sunday, mm1970! That's a huge bummer about the weather conditions. Don't forget to adjust your pace and time goals--it will only get ugly if you try to be a hero in conditions you aren't acclimated to.

I'm chugging along. We're out of town this weekend for a wedding so I'm going to have to do 9 by myself...haven't decided if I'm going to try to wake up early and do it Friday before we leave, or if I'm going to go for a change of location on Saturday. I'm worried about leaving it until Saturday because we're probably going to be up late Friday night with the rehearsal dinner etc.
Yeah, the training runs have taught me that:

3:30 is a stretch goal.  If everything goes well and I feel good, I can do 3:30.
3:45 is a reasonable goal.  If I'm having an average day, I can probably hit this.

If it's hot?  All bets are off.  My goal is to finish and not die.  I've mostly dialed in the calorie management (Gu every 40 minutes) and water (generally hitting about 12-16 ounces of water an hour, every other refill I toss in an electrolyte tablet).  But I still melt in the heat.  If it's hot my "walk/run" will turn into a straight up walk, and I'm okay with that.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2017, 10:53:22 PM »
Suddenly getting very excited...race is less than 17 hours away!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2017, 02:27:11 AM »

Good luck.

RANDOM SHOUTS OF ENCOURAGEMENT!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2017, 03:15:07 AM »

Good luck.

RAMDOM SHOUTS OF THANKYOU.

(I should go sleep)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2017, 04:17:02 AM »

Good luck.

RAMDOM SHOUTS OF THANKYOU.

(I should go sleep)

Dream big.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2017, 08:37:37 PM »
Wow... what a race.

Running gets quite lonely on a long track when there's only a couple of hundred people doing it... unless someone is within 1 second of your pace, you won't be running with anyone else out there. I was fine for the first 7.1k - split was about 39:30. The legs started getting a bit wobbly at 14.1k (80:15).

But with just 800m to go I started getting severe cramps in the calves. Slowed me to a walk in patches and the last km took an agonising 7 & a half minutes. Finished the race in just under 123 minutes, short of my stretch goal by 3mins, but still thrilled nonetheless.

Anyway, got another one to run in 2 weeks, and will be shooting for 2 hours for sure :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2017, 11:51:55 PM »
Wow... what a race.

Running gets quite lonely on a long track when there's only a couple of hundred people doing it... unless someone is within 1 second of your pace, you won't be running with anyone else out there. I was fine for the first 7.1k - split was about 39:30. The legs started getting a bit wobbly at 14.1k (80:15).

But with just 800m to go I started getting severe cramps in the calves. Slowed me to a walk in patches and the last km took an agonising 7 & a half minutes. Finished the race in just under 123 minutes, short of my stretch goal by 3mins, but still thrilled nonetheless.

Anyway, got another one to run in 2 weeks, and will be shooting for 2 hours for sure :)

Fantastic effort!

Take it easy tonight. Maybe go find a cute physio on Tinder. ;)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2017, 10:44:46 AM »
Wow... what a race.

I get you on the loneliness!