Author Topic: Half Marathon in 2017  (Read 35168 times)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Half Marathon in 2017
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2017, 10:33:13 PM »
My last one was the same race SB Wine Country half.  My goal back then was to beat a 10:00 mile, so 2:10:59.  I finished in 2:11:04.  Dang it (I'm female and 5'2".)
I know we say that a half marathon is 13.1 miles, but more precisely it's about 13.1094 miles.  So for a 10:00 mile pace, you'd need to run a half marathon in about 2:11:05.6.  That means in 2010 you met your goal with a second to spare. :-)
I think I love you.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2017, 10:35:05 PM »
13.1 miles up hill, from the pier to ~4000 ft.

Holy cow! That sounds like a bit of torture. More power to you if you're going to attempt that. I'm having a hard enough time contemplating 13.1 miles that are relatively flat if not slightly downhill.

Good luck with your training and your upcoming race.
Yeah, it's one of those things that would DEFINITELY be more walking than running, if I attempt it.  I run some hills now (and my upcoming half is rolling hills with a big one in the middle, and a medium one at mile 11).  When I run hills I pretty much cut my 4:1 run:walk to 1:1.  It's more of a "hey look I finished this crazy thing".  If I do it.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2017, 06:22:02 AM »
Cross Post from Strength & Fitness thread...

Ran a half marathon on Saturday. Went out way too hard for my fitness (those three weeks off in March were not great), paid for it in second half of the race (major positive split). Also, who knew Kansas had so many hills?! I would say it was a wake up call, but frankly, I knew it would be a suffer fest and it was for the last three miles. Now I just need to focus on building for a push at a fall half marathon where I'd like to attempt to PR.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »
...who knew Kansas had so many hills?!...
haha!  That's funny!  Lot's of rolling terrain out there in Kansas!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2017, 10:28:32 AM »
So this weekend was the "10 mile" weekend.

It was hot (70F, 10 degrees hotter than last weekend).
I had a cold (stuffy head/runny nose).
The course was rolling hills, with no bathrooms (my coach is a camel.)

Luckily, I re-read parts of my book "Half Marathon Guide for Women" (approx) by the Galloways.  And it says RIGHT THERE:
- long run pace should be at least 3 min/mile slower than your expected pace
- slow down 30 sec/mile for every 5 degrees above 60F
- you are building endurance no matter how slow you are.
- Take walk breaks BEFORE you physically need them

Good thing:
- My 9.7 miles was at a pace of 2:05 min/mile SLOWER than the prior week's 9.3 miles
- I ran out of water at mile 7 (the car was at mile 9.2, with more water)
- My hips started crying at mile 7.  My walk breaks were longer and slower after this point
- The cold didn't help

So, I have to remind myself - race in a couple of weeks
- This is for fun
- I am going to finish
- I am going to finish with a smile on my face
- I am not going to injure myself before this

Physical limitations.  They're a bummer.

Romag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2017, 02:46:39 AM »
Ran my 3rd half of 2017 yesterday and cut my time down from 1:48 to 1:45 since March. Feeling good!

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2017, 07:04:31 PM »
Ran my 3rd half of 2017 yesterday and cut my time down from 1:48 to 1:45 since March. Feeling good!

That's awesome! Congrats.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2017, 07:33:40 PM »
*applause*

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2017, 11:19:47 AM »
Ran my half on Saturday!

Cold and windy to start.
As expected, my hips started bothering me just before 7 miles.  (Hills are especially bad for me.  This one is mostly uphill the first half, so aching started earlier.)

Anyway - aching hips from mile 7 to 12.  Knees joined in at 11 mile marker.  Took an ibuprofen - so wasn't sore afterwards on the same day, or the next day, even though I forgot to stretch.  Who knew it was the miracle drug?  Probably everyone but me.

Finished in under 3 hours with a smile on my face.  Stopped to pee when I had to, and also took a pic along the way (it's a REALLY pretty course - Santa Barbara Wine Country half).

All of my other friends are super speedy, but there were vast groups of people doing the run/walk thing like me.  I found my people!!

I think somebody might have died though.  A friend I ran into at the finish mentioned ambulances and 15 minutes of CPR on a young woman.  Nothing in the news though.  Yikes.

So I signed up for my "bucket list" race, Pier to Peak in September.  But that will be it for me for half marathons.  Too long.  I prefer 10Ks.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2017, 04:17:41 PM »
Ran my half on Saturday!

Cold and windy to start.
As expected, my hips started bothering me just before 7 miles.  (Hills are especially bad for me.  This one is mostly uphill the first half, so aching started earlier.)

Anyway - aching hips from mile 7 to 12.  Knees joined in at 11 mile marker.  Took an ibuprofen - so wasn't sore afterwards on the same day, or the next day, even though I forgot to stretch.  Who knew it was the miracle drug?  Probably everyone but me.

Finished in under 3 hours with a smile on my face.  Stopped to pee when I had to, and also took a pic along the way (it's a REALLY pretty course - Santa Barbara Wine Country half).

All of my other friends are super speedy, but there were vast groups of people doing the run/walk thing like me.  I found my people!!

I think somebody might have died though.  A friend I ran into at the finish mentioned ambulances and 15 minutes of CPR on a young woman.  Nothing in the news though.  Yikes.

So I signed up for my "bucket list" race, Pier to Peak in September.  But that will be it for me for half marathons.  Too long.  I prefer 10Ks.

Congrats on finishing your race!

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2017, 07:33:31 AM »
Ran my half on Saturday!
Good job!

Krum312

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »
My time for my first HM was about 2:15. This was nearly three years ago. I would like to run another half or more. this year.

What is the most Mustachian way to run marathons? They can get very expensive. I signed up at the last minute for the Rock and Roll half marathon. For a $200 registration fee, I received a $50 shirt and paid $150 to have people run with me for two hours.

Obviously registration costs less when you plan further ahead. You can also get a better deal if you get a package deal for 3 rock and roll marathon events in one year.

I don't know about other marathons, but the rock and roll marathon will let you run for free if you raise enough money for charity; then everyone wins.

I would like to travel to do half marathons because it is a great way to slow and see what foreign cities have to offer. I have run in my hometown of St. Louis, Denver, as well as beautiful Estes Park

Colorado has a slacker half marathon that is all down hill.

Where has been your favorite place to run? favorite, event, crowd, or location?

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »
...the rock and roll marathon will let you run for free if you raise enough money for charity; then everyone wins.
Colorado has a slacker half marathon that is all down hill.
I didn't know that about the Rock & Roll marathon.  I'll pass the info along to my friends.  I don't know about an all-down-hill run.  Would seem to be terrible on the knees and hip joints.  And speaking about leg joints, I'm taking a break from running because my left knee developed pain.  I ran two miles the other day and started favoring the left leg due to the pain.  My right leg did most of the work and was sore for two days.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2017, 07:52:04 AM »
Doing my half in two weeks w/ my kids (both 10yo).  Love virtual races- cheaper and I don't have to wake up at the ass crack of dawn.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2017, 08:16:24 AM »

Where has been your favorite place to run? favorite, event, crowd, or location?

I posted a few of my favorites on the first page of this thread, but those were just midwest based in response to another poster. I'd also add these:

-Oak Barrel Half Marathon: Lynchburg, TN Not a lot of crowd support, but it's so well run with nice touches (good SWAG, good price), very pretty area, and a great post race party.
-Army 10-miler: Washington, D.C. Not a half, but this race is a lot of fun. Starts and finishes at the Pentagon and the rest of the race runs past a lot of D.C. sites (Arlington, National Mall, Kennedy Center, etc)

Krum312

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2017, 11:28:24 AM »
Had to ask google about the concept of a virtual race. So you run anytime, anywhere, and they track your distance with GPS?

As much as I enjoy running, motivating myself to get up early to go for a run is very rare.

Running along side so many other people is very motivating for me.

Has anyone ran a relay race? Your team runs 200 miles over the course of 24-48 hours. Miami to Key West; Chatanooga to Nashville...
runragner.com

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2017, 12:26:33 PM »
Doing my half in two weeks w/ my kids (both 10yo).  Love virtual races- cheaper and I don't have to wake up at the ass crack of dawn.
I love this.

I did a couple of sprint triathlons.  First when I was 40.  I learned to swim!  And in the ocean!  Very proud of myself.

But.  It was $275 for the training group (including lifeguards for ocean swims) and $125 for the entry fee.  Then there was the "gear", which I bought discounted (wet suit and tri shorts, goggles).

I had a baby and stopped.  Haven't gotten back into because: $400 for an hour long event.

My gym (the Y), had a thing 2 years ago in May where they did an Ironman.  You pay $20.  Then you do an Ironman triathlon during the month of May.  There are prizes for the first to finish.  Well, I decided that was cool.  But I also knew there was no way I'd win.  So instead of paying the $20 I just did it and tracked it on my own.  I was already in the habit of swimming 2x a week, so I finished that in 3 swim days.  The very last day of the month though, I was on the spin bike for 21 miles.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2017, 07:14:20 PM »
So I'm gearing up to start my extended training plan for my half marathon, which isn't until the fall. I printed out a training schedule that is designed for 18 weeks, and figure that's close enough to when my race is scheduled. After I run my 5k this Saturday, I'll switch modes and start that plan.

I've been in a bit of a down swing motivation-wise (with running and other things), so I'm hoping that having signed up for this race will push me to keep going and don't let myself go backwards training-wise.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2017, 07:28:50 PM »
I signed for a half-marathon in November.  It will be my first since 2014, having 2 babies back-to-back, and adopting a Whole30 lifestyle.  I started running about 6 weeks ago and it has been slow going. 

Does anyone here do Ragnar Races?  I was thinking about the Reach the Beach relay in September.  I'm not sure how Mustachian these races are but they are a lot of fun!

Reach the Beach
https://www.runragnar.com/event-detail/relay/reachthebeach

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2017, 06:54:52 AM »
My official 20 week training group starts Tuesday. First week mileage is 7...gulp...dropping in...

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2017, 07:11:51 AM »
Had to ask google about the concept of a virtual race. So you run anytime, anywhere, and they track your distance with GPS?

As much as I enjoy running, motivating myself to get up early to go for a run is very rare.

Running along side so many other people is very motivating for me.

Has anyone ran a relay race? Your team runs 200 miles over the course of 24-48 hours. Miami to Key West; Chatanooga to Nashville...
runragner.com

I just saw I posted the same thing after you. I have done 4 of these races - 2 from PA to DC, 1 in Las Vegas and 1 Miami to Key West (my fave).  They are a lot of fun, but can be expensive; race fee, travel fee, food, hotel (unless camping), van sharing, gas, etc.  I have made some great friends through these.  I would like to do the one in NH this September.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2017, 09:27:35 AM »
First week of training is done. Mileage total: 5. I got all of my runs in despite the logistical challenges. 5 was hard (and not all at once). 13 seems impossible...

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2017, 02:28:54 PM »
This is a cross post from another thread, but here it goes.

I just completed my week one of my half marathon training schedule. Total mileage for the week, 12.4 miles. They were pretty slow miles, and more walking than I would have liked, but I have plenty of time to work on it. Race is approximately 20 weeks away.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2017, 06:55:07 AM »
First week of training is done. Mileage total: 5. I got all of my runs in despite the logistical challenges. 5 was hard (and not all at once). 13 seems impossible...

I thought that when I first started running. I kind of still thought that as I waited for the start of my first half marathon. But as long as you train consistently, you might be surprised at how quickly you adapt. I'm not saying it's not still hard (and some days it's really hard), but someday you might find that 5 miles goes from a weekly totally to Monday and you'll be surprised at how easy it goes!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2017, 11:23:50 AM »

I thought that when I first started running. I kind of still thought that as I waited for the start of my first half marathon. But as long as you train consistently, you might be surprised at how quickly you adapt. I'm not saying it's not still hard (and some days it's really hard), but someday you might find that 5 miles goes from a weekly totally to Monday and you'll be surprised at how easy it goes!
Oh yeah, it's definitely hard, but you get there!  Little by little.

As long as you don't increase mileage too quickly!

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2017, 07:18:30 AM »
VEGAS BABY!!!!

Oh, right MMM Forum....ummm I've chosen the Vegas Half Marathon because I can get free rooms and travel hacked flights there easily...Also I signed up for the 2007 Vegas Half but then got micro stress fractures in both my feet from poor form and ramping mileage too quickly so didn't get to run it. So back for Vengeance!

It's not until mid November so I'll be ramping up very sloooooowly this time :)

I did later in 2012 train for a race more properly and complete a half in 2 hours 3 minutes and 37 seconds. So my goal this year is to break 2 hours.

Agreed, pre training for the half I ran the most I had run was a 10K (6.2 miles) so the first Sunday my long run called for 7 I was like woah, but before you know it I was doing 8, 9, 10 - 10 was highest I got and then the race day atmosphere/excitement carried me the other 3. The first 4-6 weeks is tough but then seems like you kind of get in a  groove (at least for me)

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2017, 04:21:14 PM »
You'll get there with enough training and rest.  I remember my body would hit a plateau and stay there for quite awhile.  There was a period of time that I could not get past 4 miles during my training for one race.  I don't remember exactly how long the time frame was, but I do remember hitting the wall at 4 miles and limping home.  This went for about 2 weeks IIRC.  It was frustrating.  Then suddenly I cruised past 4 miles like it was never a problem.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2017, 06:35:42 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'm doing a group program with the local parks and rec department. The schedule ramps up slowly and has 4 runs (2 group) and 2 cross training sessions (1 group) per week. The mileage totals vary up and down with 3 rest/low mileage weeks built in to the schedule. I'm sore but just muscles. And my legs feel like lead towards the end of each run. Part of the challenge is fitting it into the schedule but I've got the kids biking with me and DH joining for the shorter runs as well. The whole family may get fit (which amuses me greatly). The kids are wanting to try a 1 mile fun run in August and perhaps a family 5k next spring. Whatever Mom does must be awesome right? Week 2 is behind me...only 18 more to go. Weekly mileage total: 5.75.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2017, 11:14:53 AM »
Week 2 of my training plan is done, total mileage of 10.2, which is slightly less than last week because I missed one of my runs this week.

I've been getting very discouraged lately, because I don't feel like I'm improving at all. I've been running 3 times a week on average since January, but it doesn't feel like it's getting any easier. Despite all the runs I've been doing, when I go for a run I can't even make 3 miles without having to walk a bunch. This is extremely frustrating to me, since I feel like when I first picked up running several years ago, I was better than I am now, and I had just started out.

I'm fighting the urge to give up, even knowing I'll be mad if I do, because my constant frustration is getting to me.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2017, 06:14:49 PM »
I've heard a lot of advice about switching either to walk-run intervals or dramatically slowing your pace to build mileage. Our group leader is harping on slow miles while endurance is being built.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »
Izybat- how fast are you running? So many running challenges can be fixed by just slowing down. Like at the start of the run, slowing down when you are suffering is usually too late to save the run (but necessary, again, we've all been there). It's also very hard to progress if you are doing the same runs day after day. My running progressed significantly when I starting switching things up a bit. I had consistently been running 3 miles at the same pace basically 4 times a week. I was super good at running 3 miles at that pace. Faster? Not so good. Longer? Not so good. More runs? Meh.

So I made one mid-week run a little longer and a weekend run a 'long' run (meaning my longest run of the week, but not always a super long, 10+ mile run or anything!). I started taking one of the shorter runs and made it into a tempo run or I'd run intervals (on the road, no easily accessible tracks nearby!) or I'd run to the one legit hill and do hill repeats. Basically my weeks went from: Monday- 3 miles, Wednesday- 3 miles, Thursday- 3 miles, Saturday- 3-4 miles, to something more like: Tuesday- tempo/interval/hills day, Wednesday- 3 miles/recovery (Super slow, whatever pace my legs have in them depending on how hard I went the day before), Thursday- 5 miles/easy, Sat or Sunday- long slow run. I not infrequently would throw another short/easy run in there somewhere. It's not easy to get there though. I'm still struggling to get back after a spring of injuries/sickness/inconsistent training.

The one other thing I'd say is there is no shame in walking. It can be frustrating I know, but you do what you got to do to get the mileage in. If walking is what it takes, then walk a bit. Keep your walking pace up and don't walk too long. Quick break to get your breath under control and go again. For me, sometimes it's mental too. I think I need to walk so I do a systems check: Breathing? Not too bad actually. Shoulders? High and tight, lets relax those. Feet? Okay. Legs? Not terrible. etc. By the time I get to the end of my checklist I realize I just wanted to walk because, well, I wanted a break. But nothing hurts and my breathing isn't ragged, so I give myself a pep talk and make myself continue.

Also, if you are in a part of the world where summer is coming in, humidity is a killer! It always takes me a while to adjust and I always walk more during the summer.

TL, DR: Slow down, run different speeds/distances, walking is okay, do a systems check to see if you really NEED to walk (or just mentally want too), humidity sucks.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2017, 04:47:31 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

The main challenge I have with the advice is that I'm already running at a very slow pace and running any slower is basically walking (I run a 12 minute mile when I'm being 'fast' and my normal pace is like a 13:30.) I haven't tried any sprints or tempo runs, as I'm a bit intimidated by them (being a died in the wool Turtle).

The training plan I'm attempting to follow is this: http://www.halfmarathons.net/18-week-half-marathon-training-schedule/. It's a four day a week training plan, and does have the long slow weekend run, along with one shorter run of 2-3 miles. The other two runs are the more 'average' length ones that start around 3 miles and go up to 5-6 miles as the training progresses.

I try to use the running philosophy of "run until you can't, then walk until you feel guilty", which I read somewhere once and it felt about right with what I was doing. My major frustration is that in previous years my running has progressed faster. (I seem to start over from scratch every year because about halfway through the year I get bored and stop, then have to start all over again.) It's never taken me this long to get up to a full 3 mile run, so I'm just grumpy.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »
Well, my run today made me feel somewhat better. I ran inside on the treadmill (I'll take 70 deg AC over 90 degree weather any day!).  There is a distinct difference in my ability to run on the treadmill over running outside. On Sunday, I made it less than a mile and a half before walking. Today, I made it 3.1 miles before I gave myself a break. I completed a total of 4 miles, with only a tiny fraction walking.

Now I just need to figure out what the difference is, as it could be many things. Maybe I go out too fast? Maybe my form changes drastically when I run outside? Maybe it's just the effort of having to push myself forward with or without the hills. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can pinpoint what my issues are.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »
Glad you had a good run today. Mine was two miles of sheer torture...approximately 8 billion degrees in the shade, no shade, no breeze. I had to walk extra to finish. I'd love to be able to run 3 miles on a treadmill even. It probably didn't help that this morning I worked outside for 4 hours hauling and shoveling dirt, putting up fencing. I was so tired before my run. The stuff had to be done today and I will get 2 rest days before my next "long" run...which is something like 3 miles.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2017, 04:56:55 PM »
Glad you had a good run today. Mine was two miles of sheer torture...approximately 8 billion degrees in the shade, no shade, no breeze. I had to walk extra to finish. I'd love to be able to run 3 miles on a treadmill even. It probably didn't help that this morning I worked outside for 4 hours hauling and shoveling dirt, putting up fencing. I was so tired before my run. The stuff had to be done today and I will get 2 rest days before my next "long" run...which is something like 3 miles.

Holy cow! That alone would have been enough to make me think about skipping my run. Good on you for sticking with it!

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2017, 08:21:44 PM »

Holy cow! That alone would have been enough to make me think about skipping my run. Good on you for sticking with it!

The hard physical work has been making it hard for me to get runs in. When I trained for my last Half I was mostly a SAHD working very part time, now I'm mostly a carpenter/Construction worker occasionally watching the kids...

This week has been in the 90's with high humidity and I've been building a deck....after work runs just are not happening. I leave at 6:15 in the morning so that would be tough to pull off too though theoretically possible hmmm

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2017, 06:19:02 PM »
Yeah....I really want to keep the commitment to actually do this. But extreme yard work beforehand is hideous. I was so sore I have taken 3 days off. Back to running tomorrow to finish out week 3. Of course, then there is the other flower beds I need to help with so we can finish this weekend.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2017, 04:26:37 PM »
Week 3 finished. Mileage total = 7.5. Today's long run was 3 miles. It took me 42 minutes to complete (running 3 minutes and then walking 1). It was supposed to be at a slow, comfortable to talk pace. I think it's maybe getting a bit easier? I jogged the last quarter mile and ran the last few hundred yards. Not much I know but longer than I've run for years.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2017, 10:10:32 AM »
Week 5 finished. Mileage total = 9. I'm apparently running a lot better...the group leader suggested I consider switching from the run-walk group to the run group. Long run today was 4 miles. I'm starting to not feel like a junked bus all the time.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2017, 10:23:21 AM »
Week 5 finished. Mileage total = 9. I'm apparently running a lot better...the group leader suggested I consider switching from the run-walk group to the run group. Long run today was 4 miles. I'm starting to not feel like a junked bus all the time.

Nice! When is your race?

I've been sporadically running like once a week at best. But now that I'm basically 4 months out I need to get serious! Going to start trying to get in twice a week minimum for July.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2017, 02:33:28 PM »
October 14. 15 weeks left. I'm nervous about transitioning to the run group. But 5 weeks ago I couldn't run 1/8 mile and this morning I did 4 miles (run 4 min/walk 1) and had enough left over to run the whole last half mile at a faster pace and not be exhausted when I finished. So maybe the run group will be okay. I can still walk if needed and the mileage increases pretty slowly.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2017, 04:29:47 PM »
I haven't run in two weeks due to ankle pain. I think I'm going to try tomorrow to see if it feels any better. Not sure what to do if it doesn't, since that will seriously depress me. This exact same thing happened the last time I tried to train for a half marathon, I got tendinitis in my ankles and had to stop running for two months. Trying to stay positive. 14 weeks left.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2017, 04:11:34 PM »
Success, if only minor. I tried running today, which I haven't done in two weeks. My ankle didn't hurt like it has been, so I actually ran on it. I didn't want to push it though, so I only did one mile, which gives me a total weekly mileage of... 1 mile. Tomorrow starts a new week. We'll see if it holds up enough that I can slowly ramp back up.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2017, 04:55:53 PM »
Success, if only minor. I tried running today, which I haven't done in two weeks. My ankle didn't hurt like it has been, so I actually ran on it. I didn't want to push it though, so I only did one mile, which gives me a total weekly mileage of... 1 mile. Tomorrow starts a new week. We'll see if it holds up enough that I can slowly ramp back up.

Great! Take it slow and easy (walk intervals?)...glad you can get back into it.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2017, 07:28:48 PM »
I ran again today, and the ankle seems to be holding up so far. I did run walk intervals (as suggested) and it was probably wise. Last week I actually had my husband take a video of me running to see if we could figure out what was going on with my form. It turns out (not a big surprise) that I am a shuffle runner, which likely explains why I'm so slow. I tried to focus on my form while running today, knees and feet, plus keeping my arms low (they tend to creep up). I'm also going to start adding short sprints to the end of some of my runs, because I think that will also help with form.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2017, 10:06:30 AM »
I've heard a lot of advice about switching either to walk-run intervals or dramatically slowing your pace to build mileage. Our group leader is harping on slow miles while endurance is being built.
Yes.  I use the Galloway method and finally bought a book "Half Marathon Training for Women" or something like that.

The long run days are supposed to be SLOW.  Very SLOW.  You are still building endurance, no matter how slow you go.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2017, 10:09:09 AM »
Well, my run today made me feel somewhat better. I ran inside on the treadmill (I'll take 70 deg AC over 90 degree weather any day!).  There is a distinct difference in my ability to run on the treadmill over running outside. On Sunday, I made it less than a mile and a half before walking. Today, I made it 3.1 miles before I gave myself a break. I completed a total of 4 miles, with only a tiny fraction walking.

Now I just need to figure out what the difference is, as it could be many things. Maybe I go out too fast? Maybe my form changes drastically when I run outside? Maybe it's just the effort of having to push myself forward with or without the hills. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can pinpoint what my issues are.

I like the treadmill.  I found my pace made the most progress when I used a 3-day a week training plan, and one of the days was intervals.  I loaned that book to someone, but one week it would be 200's, the next 400's.  Also 800's and 1600's.  The shorter the interval, the faster the pace.  The book helped you calculate it.  I'm sure you can find a similar calculator on line.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2017, 10:11:31 AM »
I decided to join a local running training group ($) for the Pier to Peak.  The half is Labor Day weekend, and it's allll up hill.  There are 5 of us at work (current and former coworkers) doing it, and I will for sure come in dead last.  (The only female and a good 10-17 years older than 3 of the guys).

It's a 3x a week group, and first day was great.  Hill repeats, with sprints at the top of the hill.  I'm looking forward to it.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2017, 12:36:58 PM »
October 14. 15 weeks left....5 weeks ago I couldn't run 1/8 mile and this morning I did 4 miles (run 4 min/walk 1) and had enough left over to run the whole last half mile at a faster pace and not be exhausted when I finished.

Another week down: mileage total = 10.5. Our long run was 4.5 miles. I did 4 min run/1 min walk on the way out and....ran...the...whole...way....back. 2.25 miles with zero walk breaks. It took 31 minutes so I wasn't running fast. And I was pretty tired but I finished. :-)

I signed up for a 5k with a friend on July 30. She wants to run the whole thing but I'm somewhat hopeful since its only 0.75 miles further. I've done 5ks in the distant past but always walked part of it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
My first training group week mileage was a little under 10 miles. So my normal week would be about the same, but I usually did one 2.5 mile run and one 7 mile run.

This week was
Tues: hill repeats
Thurs: 40 minutes of "comfortably hard, hardly comfortable".  About 80% pace, where you can speak in 3-5 word sentences.  This was hard yo.  My hips were not happy with the turnover.
Sat: 3 miles uphill.  The route mimics the hardest part of the actual race course (which is all uphill, I did mention that).  They timed us, and we will repeat the course near the end of the training.  I didn't come in last!

Sadly, only about 5 hours after we finished, a massive forest fire broke out over the mountains and the whole area we were running has been evacuated.