Author Topic: Half Marathon in 2017  (Read 35166 times)

Izybat

• Stubble
Half Marathon in 2017
« on: February 20, 2017, 06:30:39 PM »
Anyone else up for running a half marathon in 2017?

I've been trying to get myself back into running. I always seem to get into it at the beginning of the year, and then fall off the bandwagon at some point in spring or summer. This year I'm considering signing up for a half marathon in the fall so that I have some motivation to keep running and keep getting stronger.

Anyone else already doing this or willing to try with me?

hudsoncat

• Bristles
Re: Half Marathon in 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 09:45:45 AM »
Well, I've already run one this year, but I'm signed up for a couple more! I'm always in for motivation. You should also check out the Strength & Fitness 2017 thread. The runners aren't as vocal as the lifting folks at times, but we are there and it is a good place to track fitness related goals.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/strength-fitness-2017/

What half are you aiming towards?

EAL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mindful Money
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:06:26 PM »
I am planning on running the Salt Lake City marathon in the end of April.  It's good to have something to work toward.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »
@hudsoncat, I'm currently thinking of the Mohawk Hudson River Half marathon (in Albany, NY) in October. I'm trying to give myself plenty of time to train for it, as I'm just getting back into running after almost a year off.  For whatever reason, I tend to sign up for races and then something happens where I can't complete them. Once it was tendinitis, once it was getting a concussion (my stupid dogs knocked me over), once it was just family stuff that got in the way.  Sing up opens on March 8th, and I'm told it tends to fill quickly, so I have to decide soon if I'm really going to go for it.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »
I'm actually trying to run a half in each state (Not the most mustacian, but we budget for it and make it work). I'm excited to hear about both the half's mentioned above. We haven't done Utah or NY yet! I'm running the Garmin Half in Olathe, KS in April and the Mini Marathon in Indy. I've done the Mini/Indiana before, but it's a really fun race (and fairly cheap for us since we are local).

It sounds like you've had some bad luck there Izybat, but hopefully this time it'll work out for you. I've only missed one so far I had signed up for... about a week before a half once, I tripped over my dog (on a run) and really wrenched my knee. I did not think running a half 5 days later on a still sore knee was a good idea. Missing a race you spent money on is so frustrating.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 07:11:30 AM »
I also have a goal to run my first half this year. Got up to about 9 miles for my long run before cold weather hit, but I'm a little out of shape now. I got 2 5-milers in during our mini-spring last week, had to take walk breaks on hills.  If I train 3x/week starting in April I should be able to do it by August.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 08:08:08 AM »
Yeah, getting back into it after time off can be challenging. I'm just plugging away at it and hope to get there by this fall.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 09:59:31 AM »
I'm running one in about two weeks.  Haven't really trained hard for it due to hamstring injury.  But last night I ran a very slow six miles and legs felt okay.  I figure I'll just plod along really slow the day of the race and be okay.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 05:27:09 PM »
Well, so far I've been maintaining my training schedule as planned. I'm on week 4 of couch to 10K, which is a 14 week program. Not sure if I'll actually run a 10k race or just do it on my own, but at least I'm still plugging away at it. After the 10K I plan to up my running from 3x a week to 4 times a week (at a slightly lower distance), and start ramping up for the half marathon in the fall.

ketojenn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 07:53:57 AM »
Yay! Runners!

My first half this year is in Montana in July, but have already done a 10K in February and will be doing a 50K on the 18th of this month.  Haven't decided what else to do yet.  I know there are several races in October that I'm trying to decide between, but I also HATE spending the money, so I need to look at best bargain with travel too.

Cheap race suggestions in the Midwest welcome!

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 04:37:01 PM »
Yay! Runners!

My first half this year is in Montana in July, but have already done a 10K in February and will be doing a 50K on the 18th of this month.  Haven't decided what else to do yet.  I know there are several races in October that I'm trying to decide between, but I also HATE spending the money, so I need to look at best bargain with travel too.

Wow! A 50K, that's impressive. I used to really want to run a marathon, but at the moment, I'd be really happy to complete a half. Once I get that one under my belt, then we'll see.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 10:51:24 PM »
I just signed up for the Utah Valley Half Marathon on June 10.   (Thank you, work discount!)

Last year I ran a half for the first time, and then three more.  Kind of.  The last two happened after a lot of work drama and I no longer had time to train.  I certainly didn't "run" them, but I did finish.  Unfortunately, I messed up my hip in the process.

Drama has disappeared, and I've been ordered to find a hobby.  Hip seems to be doing better, so I'm running again (along with swimming laps, yoga, and a foam roller).  Will try for six halves this year, plus whatever other shorter races I can get free or discounted through work.  And, hopefully, one sprint distance triathlon.  Because it sounds like fun.

I know I'll be doing the Provo City 5k (discounted), the Run of Remembrance 10k (free), and the Freedom Run 10k (free), along with an employee 5k that I'll have to pay a whopping $5 for. :)

I have runkeeper, and signed up for the 2:20 Run/Walk/Run training plan.

Simplefunlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 04:59:25 AM »
I'm doing the Myrtle Beach half marathon tomorrow.  I encourage everyone to sign up for something whether its a 5K all the way up to a 50k.  Once you sign up you are committed, and at least for me, really gives me the motivation to put in some training runs.  Good luck to anyone doing a long run this weekend!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 05:09:53 AM »
As you can maybe guess from my name I will be running the largest half in the US in May the BRooklyn Half. To OP one thing I always tell myself is well even if something happens like an injury in almost every case I can still finish the half because I can always walk. I know that's not there goal but somehow it makes me feel better knowing I always have a way tout finish and takes the pressure off.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 02:39:31 PM »
Yay! Runners!

Are you doing Missoula in July? I LOVED that race! Really I just loved Missoula, but the race was great too!

Midwest halfs I have enjoyed are all spring races, not necessarily October but for your future radar:
  • Mini Marathon: Indianapolis, IN May. Only cheap if you sign up way early, but it's a fun race if you like big races. (like sign up in June 2017 for the May 2018 race)
  • Lincoln Presidential Half Marathon: Springfield, IL, early April. This was one of my favorite races. Nice, smallish. Fun scenery if you like history as you run past all the Lincoln sites.
  • Bayshore Half Marathon: Traverse City, MI, late May. Super pretty. Great finish line food. Solidly organized. Fills up super fast (usually within a couple hours). This group also puts on an October race, I don't know a lot about it, but you might check that out. I think it was something like Devil's Dive... Look up Traverse City Track Club, it's their race.
  • Dam2Dam: Des Moines, IA, early June. This one can be a little hot and is fairly low frills, but it's pretty cheap ($40 if you sign up early), has great organization/volunteers, and nice race SWAG usually (Brooks shirt without a lot of lettering and Brooks socks the year I did it).

Those are all bigger races (2000 to 30,000) people, so most are going to be a little more expensive than something super small and super local. But I know a few of those too you are excited to visit north central Indiana. haha!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 09:29:52 PM »
Going into 2017 I had the idea of doing a half marathon every month of the calendar year. Well, I missed one in Janurary and ruined that plan. But I did one in February...not a spectacular time, but I didn't want to press too hard early in the season. I have one coming up in the first half of March and will try to kick up the pace bit.

By the Fall, barring injuries, I'd love to be posting a time in the 1:30's. A flat course would be nice...but in B.C. this is not something easily found.

We will see. :)

Good luck to everyone in their running exploits!

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 11:05:01 PM »
...one thing I always tell myself is well even if something happens like an injury in almost every case I can still finish the half because I can always walk...
I haven't trained too much for my event.  I told my friends that I will resort to walking if I have to.  But I know that during the day of the event pride will kick in, and I will try to gut it out and run (very slowly) all the way to the end.  The longest I've ran is 10 miles.  That took me 90 minutes, and I stopped to take a bathroom break.  That was a 9-minute pace, but for this half marathon, in less than a week, I will probably run a 11 or 12-minute pace.  It's the DC Rock & Roll half so maybe it will be best to run slow and enjoy the sights.

Romag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 01:36:14 AM »
Ran Key West Half in January and doing Paris tomorrow! Also scheduled for Geneva in May. I'm doing the Paris and Mont-Saint-Michel Marathons as well.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 08:15:12 AM »
Ran Key West Half in January and doing Paris tomorrow! Also scheduled for Geneva in May. I'm doing the Paris and Mont-Saint-Michel Marathons as well.

That's awesome. You're doing a ton of travel for your races. Maybe some day I'll manage a cool travel race, but for now, I'm aiming for local.

Romag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 11:27:13 AM »
Lucky to be living in Paris for a few months! Ran 1:48 this morning!!

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 12:25:52 PM »
Well, registration for the race I'm looking at opens Wednesday. The FAQ does say something about it tending to fill up, so I have to make my final decision if I'm going to go for it. Maybe I'll just register and then brace for whatever strange karma is going to kick my butt.

Simplefunlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 07:28:29 AM »
Lucky to be living in Paris for a few months! Ran 1:48 this morning!!
Very impressed!  Also amazed at the great places you get to run.  Keep it up!

I'm doing the Myrtle Beach half marathon tomorrow.  I encourage everyone to sign up for something whether its a 5K all the way up to a 50k.  Once you sign up you are committed, and at least for me, really gives me the motivation to put in some training runs.  Good luck to anyone doing a long run this weekend!

Ran a 1:50 on Saturday for a new PR! 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 08:09:30 AM »
Posting to follow.  I ran Robie Creek ("the northwest's toughest half" they say) for the third time last April, and my running has been kind of in decline since then.  In August my horse bucked me off and my ankle is just now recovering to the point that I can get back into running.  I've done up to about 3 miles a few times this winter, so I'm not committing to a half yet, but have been wanting to do the Salmon Marathon (half option) which is September 9th this year, or possibly hit Zeitgeist for the fourth time in November.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 06:27:51 PM »
What do you all suggest to eat the night prior and the morning of the half marathon?

Simplefunlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 06:33:39 AM »
What do you all suggest to eat the night prior and the morning of the half marathon?

Most likely whatever you eat before your long runs.  Best not to try anything new.  For me its a balance of carbs, protein and some fat.  For the race last weekend I had grilled chicken and roasted sweet potatoes (olive oil, salt, pepper) and a small sourdough roll for dinner.  In the morning I had oatmeal with nuts and craisins.  Other breakfasts before long runs include two scrambled eggs and roasted sweet potatoes or bagel with peanut butter and jelly.  The only things I avoid are spicy foods, green leafy vegetables (harder for your body to breakdown) and dairy.  Dairy is just because it doesn't sit well with me before a run but might be just fine for you.  Good luck!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 08:03:29 AM »
I'm in...gulp. I've been working on a couch to 5k program but will be joining a couch to half program in May. The half is scheduled for October (comes with the program). I've never gone more than 5k in my life. I'm planning to keep up with the couch to 5k so I won't be starting at zero in May.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 09:04:52 AM »
Most likely whatever you eat before your long runs.  Best not to try anything new.  For me its a balance of carbs, protein and some fat.  For the race last weekend I had grilled chicken and roasted sweet potatoes (olive oil, salt, pepper) and a small sourdough roll for dinner.  In the morning I had oatmeal with nuts and craisins.  Other breakfasts before long runs include two scrambled eggs and roasted sweet potatoes or bagel with peanut butter and jelly.  The only things I avoid are spicy foods, green leafy vegetables (harder for your body to breakdown) and dairy.  Dairy is just because it doesn't sit well with me before a run but might be just fine for you.  Good luck!
Thanks!

Romag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 01:32:24 PM »
Before long races, I usually eat pasta with red sauce (nothing spicy) for dinner and drink ~32 oz of water and sports drink. In the morning I drink a little more at breakfast, eat a bagel, two bananas and have a cup of coffee.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 07:41:00 AM »
I'm also a big fan of grilled chicken + some carbs the night before a half. I've done the pasta thing, it usually just leaves me feeling heavy the next morning. My husband always loves pasta the night before though, so YMMV. Try some things the night before your long runs. That'll give you an indication of how your body reacts to different foods on a long run. The morning of I usually eat a couple pieces of toast with peanut butter. I'll also take a banana with me to the race and eat it much closer to the start time. My husband (who is a much bigger person) usually has toast/peanut butter, a power/energy bar of some kind, and a banana. Sometimes two. He'll sometimes substitute oatmeal out for the toast depending on his mood. He has a great capacity to eat a lot before a run and never have an issue. If I eat a lot, I usually get stomach cramps, again it's really a YMMV type of thing.

Currently on the sidelines with a back/hip issue. Haven't run in a week, doctor wants me to take off at least one more. Sigh. 

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
Well, it's official. I signed up for a half marathon on Oct 8. Now I just have to get there in once piece.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 06:05:28 AM »
Sure! I'm a walker and walked 2 halfs last year but fell off the fitness wagon this winter because UGH!  COLD!  Cold weather kills my motivation.  So, I'm going to get back out there and a half marathon is the perfect goal.  I'll probably do a virtual half through yes.fit or Harry Potter running club.  Can't wait to see what you all are doing.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 11:43:17 AM »
Well, it's official. I signed up for a half marathon on Oct 8. Now I just have to get there in once piece.
Congrats!  No backing out now.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 08:13:17 PM »
I'm set for a week later...October 14.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2017, 11:49:36 PM »
Last week backpacking I did a 15 mile, 15 mile, 14 mile and 18 mile day.  Full winter backpack in the Georgia mountains.   I have little desire to run a marathon.   My wife is an Ironman athlete.   That's her gig.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2017, 09:44:18 AM »
The half marathon is done!  My friend and I arrived to a very cold Washington DC.  On race day it was sunny and clear and temps were in the mid-20s when we started making our way to the starting line.  I don't think the temps got above mid-30s the entire race, and there was a slight breeze coming from the west.  My hands and feet were numb when I started running, and it took about two miles to get warm.  But after getting warm the run was rather comfortable.  We started around close to the White House, made our way around the Kennedy Center and the Watergate Complex.  We could see Arlington National Cemetery across the Potomac River.  Some of the notable neighborhoods we ran through was Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, Howard University, Capitol Hill, and finishing at RFK Stadium.  I enjoyed running through the neighborhoods.  The denizens came out to cheer us on.  I thoroughly enjoyed drinking the small amounts of champagne and Miller Lite that some of the younger folks were handing out in small paper cups!  That beer was refreshing!

Our pace was slow.  We averaged 12 minutes 30 seconds per mile (that's a jogging pace comfortable to hold a conversation).  My friend hit the wall at mile 11, her usual faltering point, but with a little encouragement we ran all the way to the end.  Our total time was 2 hours and 47 minutes.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2017, 10:49:56 AM »
@Cornbread OMalley, that's awesome! That weather is far too cold for me, I hate running outside in winter (treadmills are a lifesaver). That pace is probably close to what I'll be doing in my race this fall, so it's good to hear from others in the same group!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 09:22:06 AM »
Great job Cornbread OMalley! I love D.C. I ran the Army 10-miler a few years ago, it was a great experience to run around the national mall.

I'm excited to be back to running this week. I'm sure it'll suck a bit after three weeks off, but hopefully worth it in the end. My hip/back feel much better now, we'll see what running brings.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »
Sadly, I'm having to take some time off at the moment. I came down with some sort of crud and I'm coughing up a storm. Hopefully, it won't last long and I'll be able to get back to training soon.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
Great job Cornbread OMalley! I love D.C. I ran the Army 10-miler a few years ago, it was a great experience to run around the national mall.
I was hoping the half marathon route would go past more DC monuments.  I still had a good time nonetheless.

Simplefunlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2017, 04:53:47 AM »
The half marathon is done!  My friend and I arrived to a very cold Washington DC.  On race day it was sunny and clear and temps were in the mid-20s when we started making our way to the starting line.  I don't think the temps got above mid-30s the entire race, and there was a slight breeze coming from the west.  My hands and feet were numb when I started running, and it took about two miles to get warm.  But after getting warm the run was rather comfortable.  We started around close to the White House, made our way around the Kennedy Center and the Watergate Complex.  We could see Arlington National Cemetery across the Potomac River.  Some of the notable neighborhoods we ran through was Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, Howard University, Capitol Hill, and finishing at RFK Stadium.  I enjoyed running through the neighborhoods.  The denizens came out to cheer us on.  I thoroughly enjoyed drinking the small amounts of champagne and Miller Lite that some of the younger folks were handing out in small paper cups!  That beer was refreshing!

Our pace was slow.  We averaged 12 minutes 30 seconds per mile (that's a jogging pace comfortable to hold a conversation).  My friend hit the wall at mile 11, her usual faltering point, but with a little encouragement we ran all the way to the end.  Our total time was 2 hours and 47 minutes.

This is great!! Its smart to dress for how you'll feel most of the race after getting a mile or two into it.  I think its great you got your friend through the mile 11 wall.  Maybe later in the year you'll try another on your own to see how you would do at your own pace?

I did my second half marathon of the year.  This was a trail half marathon and my time was 2:26.  I'm absolutely thrilled because last year at the same course my time was 2:50!!  Its great to see what it looks like to go from barely able to run 13 miles to really try and race 13 miles. 

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »
I'm so glad there are so many people interested in running! My training is going well. I just hit two miles, and should hit 3 by next week (thanks C25k!). I'm still hoping to run a 10k by the last weekend in May, but my training is slower than I would have liked because of a few illnesses. Hopefully I can still pull it off.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2017, 11:04:07 PM »
This is great!! Its smart to dress for how you'll feel most of the race after getting a mile or two into it.  I think its great you got your friend through the mile 11 wall.  Maybe later in the year you'll try another on your own to see how you would do at your own pace?

I did my second half marathon of the year.  This was a trail half marathon and my time was 2:26.  I'm absolutely thrilled because last year at the same course my time was 2:50!!  Its great to see what it looks like to go from barely able to run 13 miles to really try and race 13 miles.
I may run another and really train up for it this time.  I didn't really train very hard because of injuries so the slow pace was probably good for me.  I didn't run further than seven miles during my last training efforts.  I haven't ran at all since the half marathon but plan to start running again in the morning.  My legs have been feeling strange lately but maybe that's because the muscles have atrophied some with the lack of running.  The all-you-can-eat crab legs with butter I had a few days after the race probably didn't help either!  That's really impressive with your trail half marathon time.  I imagine running along a trail is pretty scenic and have more challenges with the terrain.

I'm so glad there are so many people interested in running! My training is going well. I just hit two miles, and should hit 3 by next week (thanks C25k!). I'm still hoping to run a 10k by the last weekend in May, but my training is slower than I would have liked because of a few illnesses. Hopefully I can still pull it off.
You can do it.  If you can get to 5 miles in your training then you probably can gut it out and finish the 10K.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2017, 04:33:26 PM »
You can do it.  If you can get to 5 miles in your training then you probably can gut it out and finish the 10K.

I've run one 10k previously, but it was about 3.5 years ago. I did pretty much what you said, trained up to about 5 miles, then just dug in and did the full 10k during the race. It'll probably be similar this time around. I'm only sad because I'm using a training app and because I've been sick it's putting me off the schedule of the app, which was just about perfect for the race. Oh well, I'll figure it out either way.

BWholehearted

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2017, 12:57:45 AM »
I'm doing my first trail half marathon June 4.  I've done two road half's and really love the distance; it's long enough that I have to train in order to make it (something that has not been the case signing up for a 10k) but not SO much training and time commitment as a full marathon (I've done one of those). I'm nervous and excited to try the trail one, I've run on trails periodically over the years but never raced on trails. I could never figure out how people could actually RUN up some of the trails I am puffing to hike up (and I'm not a complete couch potato).  Then a friend told me the secret to trail running: You are allowed to WALK!  Who knew?  Well, maybe I can be a trail runner.  The next thing I learned was that you should not, in any way, shape, or form, compare your road pace with your trail running pace.  It is so different...worse.  And if you do, you might cry, or kill yourself trying to keep the same pace.  When I'm just getting back into running regularly, I can comfortably run 4-6 miles at about a 9:30 to 10:00min/mile pace.  On the steep trails my race will be on, I was going at a 13:00-14:00 min/mi pace on the way up and about 9:30 on the way down.  So SLOW feeling, but the "effort" was about the same.

A friend in my new town in Montana said she was going to do this one, so I figured, "why not?" However I lost track of time and just started training for it last week (that meant in order to train up to a 13 mi long run, and increasing by 1 mile per week, I needed to do a 6 mi long run the first week---having not run for MONTHS. Well after a couple 3-4 mile runs, I went out with the plan to do 4-5 miles. Just before the 5 mile mark I was feeling good, so I figured I'd go for 6.  I did and it was fine.  Just quite tight the next day.  Then when it came time for "long run" day I decided I better do it on the trails I'll be racing on (lots of elevation gain and loss). So I set out to do 6 at as slow a pace as necessary, missed a turn, ended up going to the top of the ridge, and had to run 7.75 miles to get back instead.  Oops. Stupidity can make you stronger!?  But at least I'm a week or two ahead on my 9-week get-your-s**t-together-quick plan. :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2017, 01:50:56 AM »
I've signed up for one in September. Having never run further than 12k before this should be quite the challenge...

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2017, 07:58:59 AM »
I've signed up for one in September. Having never run further than 12k before this should be quite the challenge...

You can do it. I've never run further than 5k before and I'm going to try. I'm joining a training group for newbies and my goal is just to finish (walk, run fine) before they close the course. ;-)

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2017, 03:18:52 PM »

You can do it. I've never run further than 5k before and I'm going to try. I'm joining a training group for newbies and my goal is just to finish (walk, run fine) before they close the course. ;-)

I'd like to say I'm with you on that, because ultimately it's 13.1 miles however you traverse the distance, but in my heart I know I want to run the whole thing. I'm going to have to allow myself to walk without feeling guilty or discouraged about it, because that's going to be my problem. Hopefully I can get my mind right before my half in October.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2017, 05:31:19 PM »
Just found this thread.

I'm running a half marathon (SB Wine Country Half) in 3 weeks, May 13.

I have only done 2 before, in 2009 and 2010.  My last one was the same race SB Wine Country half.  My goal back then was to beat a 10:00 mile, so 2:10:59.  I finished in 2:11:04.  Dang it (I'm female and 5'2".)  Injury sidelined me.  I suffered from piriformis syndrome, which caused sciatica pain.  It came on about 3 weeks before the race.  I tried physical therapy.  In the end, I had to quit running.  I took a year off.  Trained for a triathlon, short distance, and started running in vibrams.  Cue the achilles tendonitis.

Anyway, then I had a baby at 42, and I figured my running days were over.  A year ago, I started up again on a whim, but using my own made-up run/walk combo to avoid injury.  It worked.  I increased my run splits.  Then I increased my pace a bit.

So I am now doing Galloway, currently at about 4 min run/ 1 min walk.  Coming in around 11:45 to 12:30 per mile.  Longest run has been 9+.

I'm on the ramp up, so my schedule will be:
This weekend: 10 miles
Next weekend: 11
Following weekend: 8-9 miles
Race weekend!

The hard part for me now (and it was the same before 7 years ago), is boredom. I am running with a training group - but half of the people are running the 1/2 marathon but run at a 9:00 mile.  The other half run more my pace, but aren't training - so they are doing more like 4-5 miles.  It's very lonely running 2 hours by yourself.  I can manage 1 to 1.5 hours just losing myself in my thoughts.  Then it gets tough, even running with an ocean view.  Only a few more weeks though.  I'm now at the point where I need to think about water and gu.  Of course I got rid of my fanny packs with water bottles years ago...figuring I'd never need them.

So.  The next thing that my coworker is doing, and that I've been thinking about for a couple of decades, is the Pier to Peak 1/2 marathon.  It's Labor Day weekend, so a really hot time of year.  13.1 miles up hill, from the pier to ~4000 ft.  In this case, I'll probably do way more walking than running.  If I manage this 1/2 marathon without injury and without being miserable I may do it.

But again, it will be lonely.  There's a different training group in town a friend has done.  It's all summer, $225, 3x a week.  I can afford that - but again, my age (almost 47) and physical limitations (short, stocky, prone to injury) make me wonder if I'll be running alone again.  It's not worth $225 for a training plan and group fitness if I'm by myself.  Max times for that one seem to be 4.5 hours, but I hear from a friend they let "walkers" start early. 

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2017, 06:15:49 PM »
13.1 miles up hill, from the pier to ~4000 ft.

Holy cow! That sounds like a bit of torture. More power to you if you're going to attempt that. I'm having a hard enough time contemplating 13.1 miles that are relatively flat if not slightly downhill.

Good luck with your training and your upcoming race.

bop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2017, 06:42:37 PM »
My last one was the same race SB Wine Country half.  My goal back then was to beat a 10:00 mile, so 2:10:59.  I finished in 2:11:04.  Dang it (I'm female and 5'2".)
I know we say that a half marathon is 13.1 miles, but more precisely it's about 13.1094 miles.  So for a 10:00 mile pace, you'd need to run a half marathon in about 2:11:05.6.  That means in 2010 you met your goal with a second to spare. :-) 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!