Author Topic: Going to ask employer for a raise  (Read 1923 times)

mrshudson

• Stubble
Going to ask employer for a raise
« on: May 13, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »
My annual reviews came out positive. I recently found out from salary surveys conducted by professional associations in my field that my current salary is low for our area by about 20% (from the median with similar level of experience). I am going to request HR to consider giving me a raise to bring it up to the median salary level, and provide the salary data as evidence that I'm underpaid. Given how big of a raise I'm asking, I'm a bit skeptical as to whether it will be approved and I'm clearly uncomfortable with doing it all in one big shot rather than in stages (which was my initial strategy), but I guess if you don't ask, you don't get. Wish me luck.

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
Re: Going to ask employer for a raise
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 07:21:23 PM »
Good luck! Sounds like you have done your research.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 08:15:05 PM »
My annual reviews came out positive. I recently found out from salary surveys conducted by professional associations in my field that my current salary is low for our area by about 20% (from the median with similar level of experience). I am going to request HR to consider giving me a raise to bring it up to the median salary level, and provide the salary data as evidence that I'm underpaid. Given how big of a raise I'm asking, I'm a bit skeptical as to whether it will be approved and I'm clearly uncomfortable with doing it all in one big shot rather than in stages (which was my initial strategy), but I guess if you don't ask, you don't get. Wish me luck.

Beyond luck, the consideration to anticipate is your employer's counter-offer (if any).  What is your response if they respond with "Well, would you consider a 10% raise?"  It's best to have some idea of what you want, or are willing to accept, before you initiate this negotiation.

Alternatively, is there something you can gain in lieu of a 20% bump?  A paid sabbatical?  Work from home?

It's important to have an array of options you've considered when you begin this discussion with HR.

Wishing you luck!

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 11:20:17 AM »
I've been in this position before. It's tough. I fought tooth and nail with my firm to see that I was worth more than they were paying me (by industry standards for the job title I had AND because of my duties above and beyond that role), but they just kept telling me they only do raises once per year and couldn't commit to a number. So I shopped around for a better offer. It only took me a month to land an offer at 20% more than my previous firm. I've been here a little over a year now and they just promoted me and gave me an almost 8% raise. Needless to say, even though it was difficult to leave the previous firm because I liked the work and the people, it was a much better decision to find another job.

Best of luck!

mrshudson

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 04:05:23 PM »
I actually do have other items I could negotiate, like work from home and flex time possibilities, lots of paid time off, so if employer were to offer 10% instead of 20%, I might be willing to consider it, and ask that the 20% target be achieved eventually over time (phased in six months instead of at once).  My thoughts at this point are that it is my responsibility to ask, but I'm open about being offered little less than what I ask for.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!