Author Topic: Go Whole Food Plant Based (WFPB) in 2019  (Read 18341 times)

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
Re: Go Whole Food Plant Based (WFPB) in 2019
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2019, 04:05:30 PM »
Hopping on to note that the oat milk is a success! Quick too since you just add the oats and the water to the food processor, whirl till milky enough and then strain. We plan on using the ground oatmeal in our pan fry bread and oatmeal. The flavor of the milk is definitely milder than what we had been using.

LG89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2019, 04:25:27 PM »
Love this! PTF.

I'm coming up on my 1 year vegan anniversary in the next few weeks. It's definitely cheaper and healthier to eat WFPB but I'm guilty of vegan snacks/treats/specialty items. Monthly spend is still cheaper than if I ate animal/animal products.

Since there seems to be only one milk replacement that doesn't add gums and occasionally it's hard to find while traveling, we are going to try making our own oat milk. If that works, it will be cheaper and easier than what we are currently buying so that will help (especially since we have a hard time finishing off 16 oz prior to it going bad so we could make smaller batches).

Are you buying Oatly? I was never a big milk drink and I'm still not but a carton of that stuff last absolutely forever in my refrigerator. Granted, I've found things halfway frozen in my fridge so maybe its how cold I've got it set on, but my Oatly milk has never gone bad on me (and I take forever to finish).

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2019, 08:53:33 PM »

Since there seems to be only one milk replacement that doesn't add gums and occasionally it's hard to find while traveling, we are going to try making our own oat milk. If that works, it will be cheaper and easier than what we are currently buying so that will help (especially since we have a hard time finishing off 16 oz prior to it going bad so we could make smaller batches).

Are you buying Oatly? I was never a big milk drink and I'm still not but a carton of that stuff last absolutely forever in my refrigerator. Granted, I've found things halfway frozen in my fridge so maybe its how cold I've got it set on, but my Oatly milk has never gone bad on me (and I take forever to finish).

Nope westsoy unsweetened soy milk. Only ingredients are soybeans and water. But because there are no preservatives you have 7-10 days to finish it once you open it. We don't actually drink milk but do use it for cream or gravy sauces and baking when needed. I have seen Oatly before but that's definitely not one common to most grocery stores and since we travel in a lot of rural areas, available options tend to be limited.

That said, it's surprising how many vegan/vegetarian items have made it to America's rural grocery stores. Tofu can be found everywhere, I have found vegan kimchi at rural grocery stores and they all have non dairy milk even if it's the type of milk I won't drink. I am pretty sure even 10 years back that wouldn't have been as common.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2019, 07:36:01 PM »
@imadandylion  I have similar issues and see a naturopathic doctor. You should definitely check out Dr. Gundry's book. The Plant Paradox. It will explain why the elimination diet works and then why it quits working. I did that elimination over 6 years ago and healed my gut, but things came back. He explains why that is and it's very eye opening.

@Malaysia41 The nightshades have lectin in them. That's the big thing Gundry says we need to remove. Apparently GMO is making that worse, but also some cultures didn't have many of the lectin containing fruits and vegetables until Columbus opened up trading. All of a sudden things that weren't native were being consumed. Our bodies did not have time for our DNA to change to deal with them. Fun fact: Columbus brought tomatoes to Italy and Italians actually refused to eat them for 2 years. They also got smart in consumption by creating the roma strain. It contained way fewer seeds which cause the most problems and they remove the skins which also cause problems.

@Malaysia41  Thank you!! I'm just super glad to have found something that helps me.

@sisto  That's interesting, I never knew that about nightshades. I will definitely check out the Plant Paradox book.

@wenchsenior Yes, several years back I was diagnosed that by a dermatologist and became a patient of their PCOS clinic. The naturopath and others have suggested this as well, but it's hard to say for sure. I never went on spironolactone, and when I did want to try it, a PCP at the time strongly recommended I didn't. With hormone-focused tests, my naturopath determined that both DHEA, testosterone, estradiol, progesterone, and estrogen levels were all really low for some reason. I need to get retested to determine if this situation has now been improved in a month or two, but so far I'm really happy. Skin is looking fantastic, and the hormonal acne I tend to get along the chin and jawline are really minimal.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2019, 08:26:01 AM »
@imadandylion  I have similar issues and see a naturopathic doctor. You should definitely check out Dr. Gundry's book. The Plant Paradox. It will explain why the elimination diet works and then why it quits working. I did that elimination over 6 years ago and healed my gut, but things came back. He explains why that is and it's very eye opening.

@Malaysia41 The nightshades have lectin in them. That's the big thing Gundry says we need to remove. Apparently GMO is making that worse, but also some cultures didn't have many of the lectin containing fruits and vegetables until Columbus opened up trading. All of a sudden things that weren't native were being consumed. Our bodies did not have time for our DNA to change to deal with them. Fun fact: Columbus brought tomatoes to Italy and Italians actually refused to eat them for 2 years. They also got smart in consumption by creating the roma strain. It contained way fewer seeds which cause the most problems and they remove the skins which also cause problems.

@Malaysia41  Thank you!! I'm just super glad to have found something that helps me.

@sisto  That's interesting, I never knew that about nightshades. I will definitely check out the Plant Paradox book.

@wenchsenior Yes, several years back I was diagnosed that by a dermatologist and became a patient of their PCOS clinic. The naturopath and others have suggested this as well, but it's hard to say for sure. I never went on spironolactone, and when I did want to try it, a PCP at the time strongly recommended I didn't. With hormone-focused tests, my naturopath determined that both DHEA, testosterone, estradiol, progesterone, and estrogen levels were all really low for some reason. I need to get retested to determine if this situation has now been improved in a month or two, but so far I'm really happy. Skin is looking fantastic, and the hormonal acne I tend to get along the chin and jawline are really minimal.

The Pill tends to mask the symptoms of PCOS, so it's not surprising that it resurged when you went off it.  I wasn't on the Pill for big chunks of time, so it was more obvious that things weren't right (though apparently not obvious enough that I wasn't diagnosed by any ob/gyn I saw for ~15 years :sigh:)  By that time I was severely symptomatic with everything except weight gain.  I ended up just adopting a diabetic style/low-glycemic-index diet (no meds) and the symptoms nearly all resolved.  Ovaries went back to normal, regular ovulation and periods (after a decade of 3 or 4 periods/year), fewer cosmetic symptoms.  If you have any symptoms of insulin-resistance (I was severely reactively hypoglycemic), you might try that and see how your body does. Honestly, I love sugar, but it just wreaks havoc on the body, esp if you have these types of endocrine disorders.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2019, 01:06:29 PM »
How is everyone doing? I am happy to report that the gundry diet has been going great. I have dropped 8 lbs already. Feel full all the time with no cravings, can't believe that I don't miss the sugar. I have cut way back on meat consumption and have been very happy about that and really haven't missed it at all. We had a vegan curry the other night, just a simple curry with onion and made noodles out of sweet potatoes and then served over cauliflower rice. It was so good and filling. Last night was a mushroom soup with all sorts of mushrooms. Just had some left over for lunch, delicious. The only noticeable side effect has been facial flushing and it seems that it could be caused by the lack of sugar in my diet right now as well as the fact that I have been eating lots of avocados which are full of niacin. Anyone else notice that with ketosis? Note I'm not on a keto diet, but this diet does put you into ketosis.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2019, 04:15:28 PM »
Can I join in?  I'm trying to reduce my reliance on animal products greatly, although I'm not sure I'll manage a complete removal anytime soon.  I recently read the book "One Part Plant" where the author encourages you to have at least one WFPB meal a day and see where it goes from there.  I thought "I can do that!"

This morning I had a green smoothie (banana, spinach, almond milk, peanut butter) and a vegan "breakfast cookie" made from this recipe: https://www.shelikesfood.com/healthy-make-ahead-breakfast-cookies-6-ways-2/  I know the "breakfast cookie" has refined grains (whole wheat flour) and some sugar, but I figure it's a start.

Lunch was vegetarian but dairy heavy.  We have a vegetarian lunch delivery service at my work building and I use it on days I don't pack a lunch (MMM shame, although it's $6 for a nice balanced meal).  Today was a paneer dish with a vegetable side dish.

Dinner is TBD - DW is cooking and I suspect we'll end up having fish and I'll accompany it with a salad. I also resisted the ridiculously decadent donuts in the office today.

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2019, 07:44:37 PM »
I have been obsessed with simple recipes lately, and I adapted one tonight:

Can coconut milk, 2 T each curry paste and peanut butter, mix as sauce. Sautéed onion and added chickpeas. Ate over rice. Bam!

I did steam half a sweet potato in the rice cooker while the rice cooked and ate that with.

So good!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2019, 04:37:19 PM »
I have been obsessed with simple recipes lately, and I adapted one tonight:

Can coconut milk, 2 T each curry paste and peanut butter, mix as sauce. Sautéed onion and added chickpeas. Ate over rice. Bam!

I did steam half a sweet potato in the rice cooker while the rice cooked and ate that with.

So good!

yum. Salt . Sweet. Exotic flavor. It's got it all.

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2019, 07:55:44 PM »
Another simple recipe:

Sauce: 3/4 c veg broth, 1 T ea soy sauce and maple syrup, 1/2 t ea paprika and liquid smoke.

Place sliced tempeh (whole pack sliced) in heated nonstick pan, pour sauce over, boil, turning, until sauce has concentrated and coated and been absorbed into tempeh slices.
Let get brown and fry in the pan.

Served a portion over a carrot salad - giant carrot grated, sprinkled with rice vinegar and sesame seeds.

Really good

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2019, 08:03:40 AM »
Well to be honest I'm okey with eating only vegetables, but where do you take all needed vitamins that plants don't have?

It sounds like you have a couple misconceptions:

1. It’s not about eating only vegetables. It’s about eating plant-based foods. So, for example, bread is fine (assuming it’s whole grain).
2. Aside from Vitamin B12, you can get all the nutrition you need on this diet. B12 is actually a byproduct of bacteria that’s often found in lakes and streams. But in our antibacterial sterile world, it’s a bit harder to come by. So definitely supplement it if you’re going all in.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2019, 08:21:41 AM »
I'm in - in a reduced capacity as well.

My dad went WFPB two years ago, so I'm well familiar with the books and the websites and the research. (He got a little new vegan preachy for a year, but has since mellowed.)

I grew up primarily vegetarian and don't like meat, but the challenge for me is eggs and dairy (yogurt & cheese). My husband is also an AMAZING chef and does 99% of our cooking at home, and although he still doesn't cook a look of meat (maybe 1-3 times a week) he also doesn't like any of the 'fake' stuff - fake eggs, fake cheese, etc. I have much better luck with a truly vegetable based meal from an Indian or Asian cookbook than anything Minimalist Baker.

So, my goal for this challenge...

WFPB when I'm not with him. I'm vegetarian at work, so it shouldn't be too hard, but I will need to amend my orders to exclude cheese.
Cook one WFPB dinner a week, so I get more confident in the kitchen, and he starts to believe WFPB doesn't mean a lack of flavour! (My Dad also quit all oil and salt at the same time, so things were bleak for a while.)

I'll scour our cookbooks, as he also doesn't (fairly rightfully) doesn't trust recipes from the internet. Says they lack the vetting process of a cookbook recipe, and bloggers have to keep up the steady flow of content so they put up B and C recipes instead of just A. ;)

My new big challenge will be to give up my homemade yogurt addiction. I make it in the InstantPot with organic 3.5% milk and it is SO GOOD and SO TART. I'm also pregnant and it's all I want. It might take a while to break that.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2019, 01:26:12 PM »
I'm in - in a reduced capacity as well.

My dad went WFPB two years ago, so I'm well familiar with the books and the websites and the research. (He got a little new vegan preachy for a year, but has since mellowed.)

I grew up primarily vegetarian and don't like meat, but the challenge for me is eggs and dairy (yogurt & cheese). My husband is also an AMAZING chef and does 99% of our cooking at home, and although he still doesn't cook a look of meat (maybe 1-3 times a week) he also doesn't like any of the 'fake' stuff - fake eggs, fake cheese, etc. I have much better luck with a truly vegetable based meal from an Indian or Asian cookbook than anything Minimalist Baker.

So, my goal for this challenge...

WFPB when I'm not with him. I'm vegetarian at work, so it shouldn't be too hard, but I will need to amend my orders to exclude cheese.
Cook one WFPB dinner a week, so I get more confident in the kitchen, and he starts to believe WFPB doesn't mean a lack of flavour! (My Dad also quit all oil and salt at the same time, so things were bleak for a while.)

I'll scour our cookbooks, as he also doesn't (fairly rightfully) doesn't trust recipes from the internet. Says they lack the vetting process of a cookbook recipe, and bloggers have to keep up the steady flow of content so they put up B and C recipes instead of just A. ;)

My new big challenge will be to give up my homemade yogurt addiction. I make it in the InstantPot with organic 3.5% milk and it is SO GOOD and SO TART. I'm also pregnant and it's all I want. It might take a while to break that.

Hey Off the Wheel,

what plant based yogurts have you tried? We found one here in Italy called Sojasun and it's better than any cow milk yogurt I've ever tried. I've also tried some awful variations from Valsoia. My sister says she's practically addicted to a coconut based yogurt.  The main thing that I've found is that you have to try a lot of different products before you find one you like. And then that becomes the new normal.   I've asked my sister what the name of her coconut yogurt is. I'll post it here when she responds.

As for cheese - yeah  - I like a few kind of, but then I think, eh, nah. I'll just go without. They can be so oily. Follow your Heart pepper jack on a beyond burger is pretty damned good though. My favorite plant based cheeses now are all homemade cashew + nutritional yeast based. 

You are the first person I've come across who doesn't care for the recipes from minimalist baker. Huh.

Anyway good luck!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2019, 01:29:14 PM »
Well to be honest I'm okey with eating only vegetables, but where do you take all needed vitamins that plants don't have?

What helped me for the first week of going fully plant-based was tracking what I ate in an app called cronometer. I could tell really quickly how much of each nutrient I was getting, and developed a sense of what kind of foods to eat.

Then I moved on to the Dr. Greger app 'The Daily Dozen'.

If you are thinking about giving the WFPB thing a go - I would at least follow the daily dozen. And eat more than you think you need to.  You get to eat quite a lot when you are eating whole food plant based.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2019, 02:07:40 PM »

What helped me for the first week of going fully plant-based was tracking what I ate in an app called cronometer. I could tell really quickly how much of each nutrient I was getting, and developed a sense of what kind of foods to eat.

Then I moved on to the Dr. Greger app 'The Daily Dozen'.

If you are thinking about giving the WFPB thing a go - I would at least follow the daily dozen. And eat more than you think you need to.  You get to eat quite a lot when you are eating whole food plant based.

This is one of the issues I already have with a whole-foods, 3/4ers plant diet.  I literally can't eat enough calories to keep weight on. It's very challenging, particularly now that I have health issue that have forced me to cut back on the nut/plant fats I was using before. Ugh, it's so frustrating.  I find myself slipping into relying on simple sugary carbs sometimes to make up the difference, which is also really not good for me.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2019, 11:58:20 PM »
@Off the Wheel:

Daiya.  That's the coconut yogurt my sister loves. I'm surprised as I've not loved much daiya stuff. However, I'm sure they're improving. It's a pretty lucrative and growing market.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2019, 08:45:05 AM »
My issue on the yogurt is that I've recently started making my own in the InstantPot and it is SO GOOD. The only ingredient is milk and a bit of the previous batch. I am trying to avoid processed foods, so comparing my delicious, homemade, two-ingredient yogurt with all the storebought stuff is offputting (no matter if it's dairy or mylk-based), and I never find it tastes as good.

BUT, there is a recipe for homemade coconut yogurt, so maybe I will try that.

And my point re: Minimalist Baker isn't so much about the recipes, as I do like a few of hers, but the volume of hers that require on fakeries/substitutions (at least in her cookbooks). We try to eat plant based, but fake cheeses and eggs will not fly. :)

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2019, 10:29:02 AM »
Checking in. Our non fish meat this month was when a stranger fed us a chicken drumstick while we waited for our food at a restaurant. Apparently we looked hungry. It was a sweet gesture and we feel no need to seek out any additional non seafood meat this month. I think that at this point, being fed by others will be the only exposure we will get. We aren't looking for meat options on our own and don't miss it at all.

I used cronometer to help figure out our nutrition gaps and at this point we are doing pretty good. We will probably just spend a couple months at this level and see if we are wanting to make more changes or if this is the level we will remain at. I don't think we will ever be able to wear a label because there is nothing 100% cut from our diet but our current level works for us. There is no one food item we are overly reliant on and we have very little ultra processed foods in our diet.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2019, 03:25:05 PM »
I bought some store-bought coconut yogurt and it's okay, but I'm going to try homemade in the Instant Pot using this recipe:

https://detoxinista.com/how-to-make-vegan-coconut-milk-yogurt/

I calculated that if I can source coconut milk for $1.29 a can, I can make it for $.80 a serving, as opposed to $1.99 for store-bought coconut yogurt.  I can get the coconut milk for that much, it just requires a special trip to the Asian market.  I think I'll have time for that next weekend, which is fine since I have some store-bought in the fridge.

I just made this for lunches this week: https://www.saltandlavender.com/fresh-and-easy-green-lentil-salad-recipe/  Lots of veggies plus lentils.

I also made this, which is one of my all time favorite recipes: http://amysnutritariankitchen.blogspot.com/2014/01/spicy-buffalo-wing-hummus-for-superbowl.html

Thanks for posting about The Daily Dozen app @Malaysia41, I think that will be something to work towards.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2019, 07:28:25 PM »
Made this tonight: https://www.budgetbytes.com/sun-dried-tomato-kale-and-white-bean-skillet/. It was good and the family enjoyed it.

I’m still easing into plant based eating with more produce and less dairy and meat.  I’m not sure what my family would think of full time plant based for meals at home.  Right now we eat 2-3 meat dinners a week, 2-3 vegetarian dinners, and the rest are “flex” meals like buddha bowls or make your own pizza.  So we’re not crazy carnivores, but I think it’d be hard to give up those few meat based dinners.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2019, 10:08:07 PM »
Made this tonight: https://www.budgetbytes.com/sun-dried-tomato-kale-and-white-bean-skillet/. It was good and the family enjoyed it.

I’m still easing into plant based eating with more produce and less dairy and meat.  I’m not sure what my family would think of full time plant based for meals at home.  Right now we eat 2-3 meat dinners a week, 2-3 vegetarian dinners, and the rest are “flex” meals like buddha bowls or make your own pizza.  So we’re not crazy carnivores, but I think it’d be hard to give up those few meat based dinners.

Yesterday I realized I haven't made chili in a while - so a large batch shall emerge from the kitchen today.

I'm excited about your attempts to make plant-based yogurts. Getting off dairy is voting against an incredibly destructive industry. Ain't nothing wholesome about the methane emissions, nor water pollution from dairy cattle.

If you want to see what 100% plant-based would be like, I've heard good things about PCRM's 21 day kickstart. https://kickstart.pcrm.org/en - there's also challenge22.com which is well, a 22 day challenge.

If you try the PCRM program - will you check back and tell us about it? I'm only familiar with challenge22 as I was a mentor there for a few months. I stopped because I started lobbying Congress,  and started making videos about how perverse our subsidies are, and researching the outsized methane emissions from cows. But when it came down to it - challenge 22 wasn't for me - too encouraging and cheerleadery. I prefer to wallow in DOOM!  /s (kind of /s).

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2019, 02:51:39 PM »
Hey guys, I lobbied Congress last month to help animal farmers transition to plant farming. Vice News captured some of the story.

https://youtu.be/MfZB3BrjI74

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2019, 08:45:01 PM »
@Malaysia41, how cool!  I like the lobbying strategy, although I’m sure incrementalism feels frustrating at times.

I made a vegan pizza today and learned a little vegan mozzarella goes a long way.  But overall I’d call it a success since we do pizza every other week and I want to participate.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2019, 09:34:24 AM »
Thought this group might be interested in a report on 50 plant-based foods with high nutrition and sustainability. The co-branding with Knorr is kind of troubling, but the food recommendations seem solidly researched.
https://www.wwf.org.uk/sites/default/files/2019-02/Knorr_Future_50_Report_FINAL_Online.pdf

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2019, 09:57:18 AM »
@Malaysia41, how cool!  I like the lobbying strategy, although I’m sure incrementalism feels frustrating at times.

I made a vegan pizza today and learned a little vegan mozzarella goes a long way.  But overall I’d call it a success since we do pizza every other week and I want to participate.
We make a vegetarian pizza with portabella mushrooms as the crust. Then top with pesto, spinach, onion and bufalo mozzarella. I'm sure you could make it vegan with the vegan cheese. It's really good. Usually just saute the mushrooms in some coconut oil first then dry them and build pizza then put it in the oven. Super simple if you get the pre-made pesto from Costco or make your own and freeze, then just pull out to thaw before use.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2019, 11:54:41 AM »
Thought this group might be interested in a report on 50 plant-based foods with high nutrition and sustainability. The co-branding with Knorr is kind of troubling, but the food recommendations seem solidly researched.
https://www.wwf.org.uk/sites/default/files/2019-02/Knorr_Future_50_Report_FINAL_Online.pdf

Cactus? That was surprising. Looking through that made me hungry.

What's problematic with Knorr? I'm OOL on that one.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2019, 12:05:11 PM »

Cactus? That was surprising. Looking through that made me hungry.

What's problematic with Knorr? I'm OOL on that one.
I see cactus... leaves(?) in the Latino markets here and I've had prickly pear jelly before. It's a pretty bland food, so heavy seasoning is needed.

My reservations about Knorr is that they're a giant food conglomerate. Those types of companies don't usually have the best records when dealing with indigenous people and food sources. From what I understand, the popularization of quinoa has been fraught with difficulties for traditional farmers and their communities, so I do worry about how some of the less common food sources might be brought to scale.

lollylegs

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2019, 12:40:15 PM »
I'm in.  I have a lot of autoimmune illnesses and have been trying to eat mostly WFPB for a while. I can't eat any grains at all. I'm not someone who enjoys cooking so I try and cook extra and freeze single serves. Some good recipes here, I think I'll make that carrot ginger soup later today.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2019, 11:28:52 AM »
Finally made my sausage gravy with mushrooms instead of pork. Just as I thought, the seasoning made it take just like the real thing (though the mushrooms still added a mushroom flavor, not a problem for us however). It just takes one large can of mushrooms to replace one pound of ground pork. I did canned instead of fresh so that the seasoning would stick to the mushrooms and I diced the mushrooms finely to mimic the texture.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2019, 12:43:35 PM »
I've recently starting eating sorghum. Last night we made it into a mushroom and asparagus risotto, it was pretty delicious. I have seen several recipes for breakfast with it, exploring those next.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2019, 12:21:08 PM »
I try to be vegan but I enjoy drinking milk.

Following the kinda recent nutty trend, I started drinking oat milk. Have you tried it yet? It's surprisingly milk-like. And if you're into milk for coffee reasons, it's great there too—it blends well, froths up, and all that good stuff. I've really been diggin' it!

I cooked up a bunch of these plantain enchiladas last weekend, and they were amazing. https://minimalistbaker.com/black-bean-plantain-enchilada-bake/ It was my first time trying out this cashew/nutritional yeast "cheese"—I regret my skepticism about it. It's crazy good.

I totally thought this was a desert!

With cooked bananas, chocolate chips, and a creme-bruleeish thing....

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2019, 02:56:05 PM »
@the_gastropod That looks so good!! I'm going to try it.

cari8285

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2019, 08:38:12 AM »
I've been vegan for the past year and eat mostly whole foods at that. People are shocked at how little I spend on groceries (a whopping $81 for the entire month of August. We'll see what happens for September). My breakfast is usually oats, and lunch and dinner usually consist of: sushi, rice and beans (and other things like pico, guac, etc.), mashed potatoes with veggies as a side or sometimes nuggets if I'm feeling adventurous, tamales, pasta with marinara sauce or homemade sauces (pesto, cashew alfredo, etc.).

This week I'm working through curried noodles with tofu, and I also have all the ingredients to make tamales with refried beans and guacamole so I'll probably be prepping that tonight for later this week.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2019, 12:05:14 PM »
@cari8285 $81/month is fantastic!! Sometimes my husband and I spend a bit more because we like to have kombucha and wine. Guess we could make our own kombucha, but I'm so nervous to try that.

Just wanted to share some meal ideas I have been liking recently:

- Quinoa flakes for breakfast. The texture of quinoa flakes are similar to what instant oats are to steel cut oats, so it comes out more porridge-like. I like it simmered with a fortified plant milk, like Oatly. Add a pinch of salt, while cooking, then top liberally with slivered almonds, dried cranberries, hemp hearts, and a bit of maple syrup. This works out to about 20 grams of protein, more or less depending on the portions of any of those things. Hemp hearts are great for getting in omega-3's and iron. I usually do the same thing with steel cut oats, but it's nice that quinoa is a complete protein. Also really love red quinoa with a bit of plant milk so it's like a cereal (but not too much liquid), then add some coconut flakes, maple syrup, slivered almonds, cinnamon, and fresh fruit.

- Crispy, baked cauliflower florets in sauce. Sometimes if we go to restaurants and they offer this, we always get it. Tried this a year or two back using the Hot for Food recipe and they came out mushy. Decided to try it again, this time with a recipe by Rachel Ama and actually comes out crispy and the sauce is good. I used panko instead of bread crumbs. I've also tried something similar with chickpea crumbs, which is fantastic and kind of preferable to panko because they're much crunchier and more nutritious.
Recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiZ9FK0HSNs
*I'd recommend doubling the sauce if you have a big head of cauliflower, though, because it just wasn't enough... I thought my cauliflower was maybe average-to-big and the sauce only covered half. We chose to add tempeh and jasmine rice. In the future, I'd also want more sauce to cover the tempeh, too.

- Pasta/spaghetti 'bolognese' with lentils. We have a lot of beluga lentils that I originally purchased because I wanted to sprout them, but never did. So we've been taking advantage of lentils more because oddly enough it's something we haven't eaten much of. Add mirepoix or other combo of vegetables, herbs, and mushrooms. Recommend soaking dried porcini mushrooms to create a broth, add the broth to the sauce, and chop up the porcinis and add to the dish. Wine is extra. And vegan parmesan, too. We've tried a hard vegan parmesan that you have to grate, and it's freakishly similar tasting and smelling (eh) to the real deal. However, I prefer the good ol' nutritional yeast flakes. Also like to sprinkle hemp hearts on top of my pasta. Also like just wilting some spinach into the sauce, too.

- I'm still loving my plain quinoa and cubed, baked sweet potato meal. So easy, cheap, and nutritious.

- Miso soup with cubed tofu. Pretty basic, but sometimes I forget about this. I find that chickpea miso paste can be just as rich as normal miso. Add wakame or even mushrooms, like enoki or oyster mushrooms. Yum.

Other meals are not really noteworthy, but I'm trying to be less boring. So if anyone else has something they've been enjoying, please do share. :)

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2019, 10:25:51 PM »
@FIRE_at_45 You're awesome! Frank's is a good idea, I'll have to pick that up next time!

I don't think I've had a meatloaf before, but this sounds like a good recipe for Christmas to bring to the MIl since she usually likes meatloaf!

albijaji

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2019, 03:08:10 PM »
Did Korean vegetable pancakes recently and they were delicious. We got our recipe from Maangchi's website. Her pancake just used flour and water and we had no problem with them holding together. Not sure why so many other recipes try to add egg. It's completely unnecessary for holding it together.

We seem to have decided that for us non fish meat can easily be limited to once per month and fish we don't limit because we tend to only get that once per month on average anyways. We are about 2 1/2 months into this jourmey. Whether we will cut back even more will depend on who we are eating with since both sets of parents seem to think that meat should be at least twice a day. On the other hand, most of my extended family on one side is mostly vegan or vegetarian in their dietary habits so that will be much easier.

I figure for us it will be a journey over time to see just how little animal products we can get away with consuming, especially since I won't do vegan frankenfoods anymore than I will do regular frankenfoods (food chemicals and I do not get along) so some items will simply have to go out of our diet completely once given up (ie butter sigh). We even decided that one of the restaurants we used to visit as a treat will probably be a never again since they are so meat centric that there are maybe 2 items on their massive menu that we could eat and there are other restaurants that do better with having non meat options.

thank you so much for that website
i just made the korean pancake

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/yachaejeon

it was amazing!! i am not really big on veggies
but i am trying to eat more...
i did not have sweet potatoe so i just used a butternut squash..
next i am trying the meatless stew someone on here posted
thank you guys
if you have more awesome recipes or
know of some really good websites like that
i would really appreciate any tips..

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2019, 02:49:30 PM »
So we're almost to the end of the year, how did everybody do?

2019 was 100% plant-based for our family. It's cheap and my health has never been better. Mostly I feel good about not taking part in the raising and killing of gentle animals, and not taking part in the environmental devastation animal ag inflicts upon the planet. 

We're living in Verona at the moment and I started an Anonymous for the Voiceless chapter here about 18 months ago. Here's a short video of our latest cube of truth (reddit link) if you are interested in seeing our town and a bit of vegan activism on the streets.

I just want to express my gratitude for everyone who is going plant-based and/or mostly plant-based. The environmental impact of animal agriculture is so incredibly dire, we really need to wean ourselves off of animal products, and stop developing nations from developing 1st world carnist diets. So Thank You all for being part of the solution.

I'll leave you with this white paper from Dr. Sailish Rao: https://www.climatehealers.org/animal-agriculture-white-paper

Cheers!

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2019, 04:40:39 PM »
Well, by my math we consumed 6 lbs of meat per person over the course of the year. For a comparison, in 2018 the average for an American was around 222 lbs ( which doesn't even seem possible to me but I was never a big meat eater).

After this year, there are certain items I will never bother with again so there is a potential to go lower. I personally was cutting both meat and deep fried foods (which for me were often the same thing or at least eaten together). We make oat milk as needed and while our egg consumption isn't as low as it's lowest point, it's still much lower than last year.

Unfortunately I have gained weight but I expected that because I do eat fewer calories when consuming meat (and I did a compound break in my big toe so lower exercise). However my dh's blood pressure is now almost normal and mine dropped from normal back down to the low level it's been most of my life. I can't say it's cheaper for us because it's not but our goal was dh's heart health so in that regard it's been a success. Though a huge victory for me was that because we planned on doing this, I started supplementing my B12 which had apparently been too low for awhile because supplementation cured symptoms I didn't realize were B12 related.

We will stick with our minimal meat consumption and probably continue to work on reducing egg, cheese and butter consumption.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2019, 09:34:00 AM »
I was really ready to go all in on plant based eating, but I've come across some challenges in the last year.

-I found that being 100% plant based is not good for my mental health. While I have never struggled with disordered eating, I have a somewhat obsessive personality and I could feel myself going down a bad rabbit hole reading every label in too much detail and stressing out when I went to restaurants socially. Cooking from scratch helped that, and I do make most of my meals that way. But for my own sanity I needed to cut myself some slack when eating out or crunched for time and having a frozen meal. It's just been too restrictive for me.

-I have really struggled to get enough protein for my personal needs, even eating a lot of beans, lentils, nuts, etc. I have started eating meat again once or twice a week, and it has made a big difference in my energy levels and immune system. I basically haven't gotten sick since I made the change, and I got a cold/sinusitis/bronchitis almost every other month when I was fully vegetarian/vegan.

-My cholesterol has actually gone up over the last two years. When I was eating more meat, it tended to be leaner cuts. But when I am eating vegetarian/vegan, I tend to add in things like nut butter, avocados, olive oil, and coconut oil to stay full long enough, and it's having a negative effect. Has this happened to anyone else? Any tricks? I already make sure most of the carbs I eat are complex carbs high in fiber (e.g. oats, brown rice, whole wheat everything, etc.)

I'm kind of frustrated, because I really wanted to go fully plant based. But I gave it a serious try over the last two years and it just hasn't worked out despite a lot of effort and mental bandwidth. I'm glad I tried it, though. I definitely consume less meat and less animal product that I did a few years ago, and I plan to keep that up. If I can't cut it out entirely, I can still make an impact by reducing it and eating as much plant based food as I can. Plus, all the vegan food I have made is delicious.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:35:54 AM by zygote »

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2019, 11:15:12 AM »
Just want to share - Here's a recipe I haven't tried yet but I think I will get started on marinating today:
https://wellvegan.com/dinner/al-pastor-tempeh-cilantro-lime-cauliflower-rice

Also want to try this:
https://www.getrecipebox.com/recipe/2aeffc30/cauliflower-adobo-recipe-nyt-cooking

Also DID try this beefless stew last night featuring oyster mushrooms and it was good. However, I created my own mushroom broth with dried porcinis, then chopped the porcinis and added them in as well, and didn't use wine or parsley, and I added a bit of farro and brown rice during the simmer phase:
https://www.rachelama.com/recipe-blog/2018/9/16/beef-less-vegan-stew

@Malaysia41 We were solidly vegan for 2 years but then when we went to Japan for two weeks for our honeymoon in October/November, we suspended that it since it's hard to find restaurants that serve vegan food. Plus it's always been my dream to try authentic Japanese food so kind of had a field day with that. When we came back home, we also relaxed it around Thanksgiving time and had a couple restaurant dishes that included meat (like pho), but we still don't buy meat, eggs, or dairy at the grocery store and stick to our plant-based shopping ways.

Part of that is a mixture of cost and the unhealthy factor of eating meat. For example, eating meat resulted me in eating less fiber, so I kept getting constipated (TMI?). Also, I got the WORST breakouts of my life from not strictly following a plant-based diet. The acne has thankfully cleared up without needing to attack my face with acne medication, from 2 weeks of eating solidly plant-based, whole foods, little to no added refined sugar, and absolutely no processed foods (well, I did eat a tiny bit of regular pasta, but not enough to keep my body in a constant state of inflammatory mess, I think). I always hated that seemingly everyone else in the world can eat crap and still have the clearest baby skin; meanwhile, I guess I can be considered "lucky" that my skin always manifests what's going on inside. It's easy for me to be plant-based when I'm at home and not anywhere near the temptations of amazing Japanese food. I'd also say it's easy for me to deny restaurant or even family foods back home now because the food just isn't ever up to expectation, so why bother. I think these days I'm more about "plant-based" eating as much as possible instead of vegan-minded.

@zygote My husband and I have tested for really low levels of 'bad' cholesterol; we didn't compensate with nut butters or oils/fats, just used them in normal cooking processes if needed. We've found we stay fuller eating plant-based vs the other way around. I actually hardly eat avocados because I don't really like them as much as most people seem to. Can you describe what would go into a day's worth of plant-based meals for you? Also, maybe your body just metabolizes differently. For instance, even though I'm much smaller, I eat more food and also more frequently than my husband and get hungry faster even if we just ate the same meal, plant-based or not. I usually aim to get around ~20 grams of protein per meal, which is usually from a combination of different sources. I don't personally try to add more fat to meals to stay more full - I just eat more. I am not sure how many calories that adds up to in a day.

Not everyone can be 100% plant-based all the time - but this is coming from someone who clearly cut themselves some slack in the last couple months. :P I understand it can be frustrating especially when going out. I think to solve the staying full problem your meals may need to be more varied, but hard to say since I don't know what you eat. I think it sounds like you've put in a fair amount of effort into trying plant-based though, I think people's bodies can just react differently but I'm also curious what a typical day of plant based eating looks like for you.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2019, 11:45:40 AM »
@zygote My husband and I have tested for really low levels of 'bad' cholesterol; we didn't compensate with nut butters or oils/fats, just used them in normal cooking processes if needed. We've found we stay fuller eating plant-based vs the other way around. I actually hardly eat avocados because I don't really like them as much as most people seem to. Can you describe what would go into a day's worth of plant-based meals for you? Also, maybe your body just metabolizes differently. For instance, even though I'm much smaller, I eat more food and also more frequently than my husband and get hungry faster even if we just ate the same meal, plant-based or not. I usually aim to get around ~20 grams of protein per meal, which is usually from a combination of different sources. I don't personally try to add more fat to meals to stay more full - I just eat more. I am not sure how many calories that adds up to in a day.

Not everyone can be 100% plant-based all the time - but this is coming from someone who clearly cut themselves some slack in the last couple months. :P I understand it can be frustrating especially when going out. I think to solve the staying full problem your meals may need to be more varied, but hard to say since I don't know what you eat. I think it sounds like you've put in a fair amount of effort into trying plant-based though, I think people's bodies can just react differently but I'm also curious what a typical day of plant based eating looks like for you.

I definitely metabolize quickly. I'm pretty active and burn 2200-2500 calories a day according to my fitbit. I think I have a small stomach, though, so I find it hard to eat a lot of food in one sitting. If I eat until I'm comfortably full, I'm usually hungry 2-3 hours later unless I've had something particularly calorie dense.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup overnight oats with almond milk and 1/2 tbsp almond butter or tahini (summer); bagel with a thin layer of earth balance (winter); banana pancakes with oats, almond milk, fruit, and maple syrup (weekends)

Lunch: PB&J on whole wheat bread, mixed greens and veggies with olive oil and lemon, dates with almond butter, and sometimes dark chocolate

Snack: Apple and some kind of vegan baked good, e.g. spelt flour muffin with flax or chia egg and coconut or olive oil as the fat

Dinner: Stir fry with a bunch of veggies and tofu or beans, coconut milk curry with chick peas, or lentil stew with potatoes over 1/3-1/2 cup brown rice, sometimes pasta with veggies and/or lentils, stuff like that. Usually one pot meals I can prep ahead of time and eat over a few days.

On days when I work out I also add in a protein shake with vegan protein powder.

When I first got the high cholesterol reading, I tracked a few days of eating in the Cronometer app to see what was going on because I was surprised. The most recent sample day worked out to 2200 calories, with 87 g protein (15%), 259 g carbs (58%), and 69 g fat (27%), with 16 g of that fat being saturated fat.

High cholesterol does run in my family, but my LDL has always been comfortably low until this past year, which is the first year I've eaten mostly vegan. I can't say for sure whether it's the diet or my age (I'm only 30 though) until I get tested again at my next checkup this spring.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2019, 12:57:26 PM »
@zygote Thank you for sharing!

I have some suggestions - feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

Breakfast:
- I think the oats breakfast sounds good but maybe you can experiment with adding more variety to it? I typically do something similar using steel cut oats, but instead of nut butter I like to add in a a handful of different kinds of toppings such as: Dried fruits (such as cranberries) or fresh fruits (bananas and/or berries), slivered or crumbled nuts (usually slivered almonds for me), unsweetened coconut flakes, chopped dates, and at least a tablespoon of hemp hearts. These all add up to generally more nutrition and fiber as well as fat. You can also add a dollop of plant-based yogurt. By the way, I've only tried two plant-based yogurts so far. I think one of them was almond-based, and the second one is oat-based. Both are unsweetened/plain. I vastly prefer the oat-based one (Nancy's brand), it tastes the most like greek yogurt to me. Other breakfast ideas: Chickpea or tofu/bean/tempeh scramble sauteed with spinach/leafy greens and mushrooms and even potatoes, with cherry tomatoes and toast (with avocado or nut butter) or wrap the stuff in a tortilla or naan. Rice porridge with soft tofu, soy sauce/liquid aminos, and spring onions.

- You may consider reducing the amount of Earth Balance/other plant-based butters. I feel like stuff like that can be a crutch. It's definitely a quick and easy breakfast, but I still consider Earth Balance to be a junk food of some sorts. Maybe consume more in moderation and less as part of a standard breakfast. I haven't personally had plant-based butter much at all.

- Maybe cut back on the baked goods as a snack and consume them as more of an indulgence item since they're more processed and usually higher in sugar. I don't think they help contribute much to being satiated as part of the whole day. Maybe swap sometimes with nuts or trail mix, or do a plant-based yogurt with fruit and nuts on top. Chia seed pudding can also have similar toppings. You can also do a soup of some kind with beans/lentils/veggies, like minestrone. Or miso with some tofu, mushroom, and wakame or spring onions. Or roasted chickpeas, sweet potatoes, or other vegetables. Or a salad with nuts, pumpkin seeds, dried fruit, oil & vinegar or whatever dressing you like. Also try also adding in another snack before lunch to keep up with eating every 2-3 hours. Or salad wraps with chickpeas/beans/lentils/whatever. Or hummus/baba ganoush with vegetables.

Lunch
- I think half of this is good, the salads could contain more substance. And [hopefully] you probably don't eat PB&J every time, but I think for lunch, try emulating more of the meals you listed for dinner. Or do stuff like 'burrito bowls' which is basically like your salad but with the addition of rice, beans, and salsa.

Dinner
- Those all sound great. Can't really nitpick. You may consider having more side dishes to your meals, like how a lot of south east asian cultures do. Instead of having 1 main dish, the meal will also be accompanied by a soup, side of vegetables, some fermented vegetables, etc.

TLDR: Try to add in ways to 'layer' in more nutritional components and reduce the bread-y/processed breakfasts and lunch items.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2019, 01:57:17 PM »
Thanks to @FIRE_at_45 for the encouragement and @imadandylion for the suggestions! You're right that I don't eat PB&J for lunch every day; it's my fallback if I haven't had time to prep something more like what I make for dinner. In general it's easy for me to fall into a rut like that, so I really appreciate the suggestions for alternative ways to round out my nutrition and boost up my calories in a healthy way. I'll give some of this a shot!

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2019, 02:22:48 PM »
@imadandylion, here is a fail proof method to make cauliflower hot wings.  I have copied it over from my journal where I shared it.  Sorry if the format isn't great.  The recipe assumes some general knowledge and experimentation with how much spice for example you add to the batter. 

@FIRE_at_45 I tried doing this with Frank's but it came out really vinegar-y tasting. is it just me? :/ I might try it again diluting the Frank's sauce with something so it's not as strong.

lollylegs

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2019, 01:28:40 PM »
I've cut down our meat meals a lot this year- (once or twice a week for me now)  and really upped our veggie intake. DH actually said he wants to eat more plant based a few weeks ago so the message is getting through.

My main problem has been sugar and I have to cut it out as its not making me feel good so my goal for next year is to cut the meat down further, cut out the sugar and find some nice vegan cheeses so I can cut out the dairy. next year I'll try and post more on this thread, appreciate the links  and recipes people have shared.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2019, 09:27:20 PM »
I'd be interested in the liquid cheese recipe, @FIRE_at_45 ! Most of the ones I've seen have been based on butternut squash and/or cashew, and occasionally cauliflower, so I'm intrigued by potatoes and carrots.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2019, 11:06:28 AM »
@FIRE_at_45  We had some leftover battered cauliflower that were doused in Frank's because it was just too cutting to bite through, so I reheated them until they got crispy again and it was sooo much better!  I still felt like there's something missing in the taste but it wasn't as vinegary anymore, so maybe the secret is in rebaking it after putting sauce on. It's funny because I used to really like the stuff on chicken wings.

@lollylegs Great job! We made some homemade pizza the other day and really liked Violife's shredded mozzarella which was pretty tasty and melted. I couldn't be bothered to make my own cheese.

Now would probably not be a good time to share sugar-y recipes then. :P I have a lot of ideas I'd like to share.

Recently I tried Oh She Glows' vegan cinnamon rolls with vegan cream cheese frosting and it was so, so decadent! Will plan on making these for Christmas for the family. However, if you use the cream cheese frosting recipe, cut back the recipe to maybe 1/4 or even 1/5 of the total batch because it's a big batch, and I'm still trying to work through using it. :/ It's really good, though. We used Miyoko's cream cheese for the cream cheese part. I would like to experiment with adding tiny bits of sauteed tart apples to the cinnamon sugar filling, and doing a simple orange zest glaze instead of cream cheese frosting. Recipe here:
https://ohsheglows.com/2017/05/09/vegan-cinnamon-rolls-with-make-ahead-option/

I also had sweet potatoes lying around and wanted to make some version of pound cake. A quick google search revealed that this is totally a thing! I used this recipe yesterday, and while it is good, I wouldn't say it's as bread-y as most people imagine pound cake to be. It's more like a very moist but slightly crumbly cake. Not sure if it's because the author didn't use grams for the measurements, which is a major pet peeve. I put it in a big casserole dish instead of a loaf pan, also, and distributed my leftover cream cheese frosting over it. Either way, it turned out delicious, but I will differently be experimenting with other recipes or just modifying non-vegan versions to achieve a vegan version of a more classic pound cake texture.
http://theemotionalbaker.com/2015/11/16/sweet-potato-pound-cake-vegan/

If anyone is interested, here are some other recipes i was looking at:
https://thegreencreator.com/vegan-sweet-potato-chocolate-bundt-cake/

These are not vegan but can be modified:
https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/sweet-potato-pound-cake
https://marcussamuelsson.com/recipe/sweet-potato-pound-cake

Also looking forward to doing a version with carrots and chai spices and any other 'secretly [kind of] healthy' baked goods. I know people do things like zucchini bread, too, which I've never had, so that's on the list as well.

I made a green lentil curry last night inspired by this, but the original recipe looks pretty good, too:
https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/green-lentil-curry

I'm quickly realizing how sweet potatoes can be so versatile, and I had some leftover from creating the sweet potato pound cake, so my version included baked mashed sweet potatoes, which I mashed into a couple tablespoons of tomato paste and oat milk to create a thick sauce. Since I didn't have most of the spices on hand as separate spices I just used a tablespoon of garam masala, 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper, and 1/2 tsp of cumin. Oh, and salt of course. I sliced an acorn squash into crescents and baked, then added on top. And I did quinoa instead of rice since it was faster. But it turned out really well! I think next time I'll follow more of the recipe, although I did add in the kale and carrots, too. :P And I'd also do delicata squash next time because the skins are thinner and can be comfortably eaten, whereas the acorn squash skin was a bit thicker. Next time, I'd also do red lentils instead of green, which is just what I had on hand. But red lentils are nicer because they'll cook in a few minutes less time and they get a soft texture.

I also discovered a food blog that has a good range of options. It's not meant to be a plant-based blog but I'd say it mostly is. A lot of her recipes focus on reducing the amount of refined sugars per serving, which is really helpful. The recipes have
 a unique mediterranean focus, which I appreciate from the slew of typical vegan fare that you see on every blog/youtube/instagram/whatever.

https://www.tastymediterraneo.com/tag/vegan/

Lastly, not sure if anyone likes jam, but in trying to come up with ways to consume chia seeds other than as a pudding, I found that chia seeds are an excellent shortcut to making jam! And it doesn't have to involve refined sugar. Genius!!! I will plan on using this for thumb print cookies in place of regular jam.

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/10-minute-chia-seed-jam/
 Thumbprint cookie dough if anyone is interested in doing some holiday baking: https://veganhuggs.com/jam-vegan-thumbprint-cookies/
^Typically I like to add a couple tablespoons of aquafaba since I am dislike cracks on cookies that aren't supposed to be cracked looking even if it doesn't ruin the taste.

lollylegs

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2019, 01:39:16 PM »
appreciate any links @FIRE_at_45  - thanks for the cheese info

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2019, 02:10:50 PM »
I'd be interested in the liquid cheese recipe, @FIRE_at_45 ! Most of the ones I've seen have been based on butternut squash and/or cashew, and occasionally cauliflower, so I'm intrigued by potatoes and carrots.

@zygote you asked I answered ;)

https://simpleveganblog.com/vegan-cheese/#tasty-recipes-18752

The nice thing about this cheese sauce is that it's very cost effective compared to the cashew ones.  Basically potatoes and carrots are the bulk of it and they are super cheap.  I know we are supposed to cut out some salt for the maximal health benefits but when you make cheese you realize just how much salt goes into it.  I usually add more than the recipes say just to get the taste closer.  You have to be careful though because you can't take it out.

Make this up and boil up some pasta with broccoli at the same time (I even use the same pot).  Drain the water off and pour on the loads of cheese.  If you want some more flavour then add some sundried tomatoes.  My kids love this in their lunch hot or cold.

This looks really good. Thank you!! I will have to try it soon.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2019, 10:18:06 PM »
Will there be a 2020 thread? I will have a flick through this one anyway, but we are doing Veganuary and are a little underprepared.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!