Author Topic: Go as long as possible without using heat/keeping heat below 60 F  (Read 36458 times)

sununderwood

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: currently Tbilisi, Georgia -- indefinitely traveling around the world on < $300 a month
I am trying to go as long as possible without using heat. I probably have it logistically easier than most because I live on the first story of a house with apartments above and below that use heat, so I don't fear any pipe freezing complications. I also think those apts insulate me pretty well.

It's snowed twice already here and it's been in the 20s at night, as low as the 30s during the day. So far so good with Clothes, but we'll see if I can make it in negative temperatures. Last winter the highest I turned the heat was 58. I believe that acclimating to cold is easier than acclimating to hot, and I live in a place where it's much more cold than hot.

My electricity bill in the summer was around $15 a month, gas $10-15 a month. I hope to make it only slightly higher in the winter! Anyone else doing this?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:49:38 AM by smai »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Go as long as possible without using heat/keeping heat below 60 F
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 08:14:46 AM »
I'm in.  I have not yet turned on my heat.  I live in a 650 sq ft house, with a gas "fake" wood stove.  It was 52 degrees F inside this morning.  I bundled up, had hot coffee, hot cereal, and did pushups.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 08:23:10 AM »
We had our thermostat set to "auto" for 2 hours last winter (when guests were over and there was an unexpected snow and they were all wet from playing in it).  The rest of the time it was off.  I don't see this as a problem.

caveat: I live pretty far south and I heat mostly with a wood stove
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:37:38 AM by Spork »

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 08:27:40 AM »
We live in an area that doesn't get too cold over the winter (might dip below freezing a few nights), so I'm hoping we can go heatless all winter.  Last winter I had a roommate who always ran a space heater on her dog, while the boyfriend lived in a super drafty and shaded house.  This year we are in a small study with what so far appear to be fairly solid windows, so hopefully not so much seeping of heat out.

So far we haven't even had to break out the sweaters in the evenings or an extra blanket for the bed, which I am super psyched about!  Without heating, our electric bill is <$15/month, hoping we can keep it that way!

kdms

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 05:45:42 PM »
Our usual goal is to go from Easter to Thanksgiving (Canadian, so this weekend) with the furnace turned off.  As of yet, we haven't managed the Easter part, because winter usually just clings like grim death to the Ottawa Valley (and we're just sick and tired of fishing through the slush for the last hidden bits of the woodpile) but it's been unseasonably warm this fall so far so I'm going to push the optimism to November 1st.  We still haven't had a serious frost, which is very unusual (although good for the garden.)  DH has been killing himself to cut and split wood for the woodstove so we can delay the inevitable as long as possible, but heating 2700 sq ft in winter averages of -10C to -25C isn't easy.  If we can make it to Christmas without turning on the furnace, I'll be really impressed, especially as there'll be a new infant in the house in around a month's time.  I suspect motivation to keep the stove going will be directly related to how much sleep we're not getting.  :D

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 12:34:24 PM »
It was 48 degrees F in my house this morning!!  It has now warmed up to a balmy 51.  I am thinking of roasting some beets and carrots in the oven, just to warm the place up some more!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 10:35:11 AM »
52 degrees F in my house this morning.  My goal was to make it to October 15th without heat, and I did it!  A few minutes ago, I turned on the pilot light for my fake wood (gas-powered) stove.  I am hoping to make it another 5 days or so without actually turning on the stove, but the little bit of heat from the pilot light should help a bit!

Still bundled up in my hat, long sleeved fleece, sweats, smartwool socks, and down vest!  Feeling pretty badass!

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »
Living in Los Angeles. Used the heat once last winter, but did use a space heater so the animals could be comfortable. We plan on going without heat again this winter.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 07:28:04 AM »
I'm in!  Kansas has been unpredictable weather-wise for the past several years.  A couple years ago we had neighbors mowing their lawn a week before Christmas.  Who knows what this year will bring.

I did drag out the electric blanket last night.  My feet were cold and I could not get warm even with wearing socks...but if it gets us through the month without turningthe furnace on, I'll take it.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 07:53:59 AM »
Our usual goal is to go from Easter to Thanksgiving (Canadian, so this weekend) with the furnace turned off.  As of yet, we haven't managed the Easter part, because winter usually just clings like grim death to the Ottawa Valley (and we're just sick and tired of fishing through the slush for the last hidden bits of the woodpile) but it's been unseasonably warm this fall so far so I'm going to push the optimism to November 1st.  We still haven't had a serious frost, which is very unusual (although good for the garden.)  DH has been killing himself to cut and split wood for the woodstove so we can delay the inevitable as long as possible, but heating 2700 sq ft in winter averages of -10C to -25C isn't easy.  If we can make it to Christmas without turning on the furnace, I'll be really impressed, especially as there'll be a new infant in the house in around a month's time.  I suspect motivation to keep the stove going will be directly related to how much sleep we're not getting.  :D

I'm in...but will only compete with people in the same climatic zone!  :-)

So far we haven't turned the furnace on this fall...we were talking about how long we can go over the Thanksgiving weekend.  These sunny days have been excellent for heating the house up during the day.  Our house has full southerly exposure with approximately 1/3 of the wall's surface area in windows!  The coldest the house has been in the morning so far was 17.5C (63.5F).  An inside temperature of below 15C (60F) starts to get a bit iffy...

We will be hugely dependent on what the weather does...it looks like after this upcoming weekend we will see a major cold trend setting in...9C (48F) high and 0C (32) lows...so I suspect the furnace will be coming on then. 

kdms

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 11:20:11 AM »

I'm in...but will only compete with people in the same climatic zone!  :-)

So far we haven't turned the furnace on this fall...we were talking about how long we can go over the Thanksgiving weekend.  These sunny days have been excellent for heating the house up during the day.  Our house has full southerly exposure with approximately 1/3 of the wall's surface area in windows!  The coldest the house has been in the morning so far was 17.5C (63.5F).  An inside temperature of below 15C (60F) starts to get a bit iffy...

We will be hugely dependent on what the weather does...it looks like after this upcoming weekend we will see a major cold trend setting in...9C (48F) high and 0C (32) lows...so I suspect the furnace will be coming on then.

You're on!  Sounds like we've got really similar setups.  South facing house, two-story glass windows on the front (solarium so it actually acts as a bit of a buffer to the actual house).  We're having to start considering the shock factor of the tile floors first thing in the morning when we come down the stairs - barefoot or socks?

Only tv channel we've got on pretty much all the time these days is the weather channel - and we've also been watching that system that's pushing it's way eastward for a couple of days now.  Got the woodpile covered up last night, and we definitely have to pull up the rest of the tomatoes (silly things are still ripening outside) and pick the rest of the cucumbers....can't believe they're still growing.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 08:04:09 AM »
I will do this. I checked the weather and am happy to see moderate temperatures for the next few weeks. If I can make it to November or even into November without heat, I will be really happy.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 08:08:05 AM »
I'm still in.  52 degrees in my house this morning.  Hot coffee, hot cereal, down booties, down jacket, buff, hat, fingerless ragg wool gloves.  Toasty warm!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 08:10:28 AM »
You're on!  Sounds like we've got really similar setups.  South facing house, two-story glass windows on the front (solarium so it actually acts as a bit of a buffer to the actual house).  We're having to start considering the shock factor of the tile floors first thing in the morning when we come down the stairs - barefoot or socks?

Only tv channel we've got on pretty much all the time these days is the weather channel - and we've also been watching that system that's pushing it's way eastward for a couple of days now.  Got the woodpile covered up last night, and we definitely have to pull up the rest of the tomatoes (silly things are still ripening outside) and pick the rest of the cucumbers....can't believe they're still growing.

My wife informed me this morning that we will attempt to reach November 1st! She just says "Put on wool socks and long underwear!" See attached weather outlook until end of October...

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 08:13:48 AM »
You can do it!  Jumping jacks and pushups are useful in the cool mornings!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 07:15:05 PM »
It is going down to 39 F tonight. I am nervous! I've got warm pjs and flannel sheets.

I would like to make it to November 1, too.

I noticed warm sunshine coming in the kidlet's window today, so I am aiming to be a bit more strategic about letting the sun come in to heat up the house. Hard to get out of the summer habit of trying to keep the sun *out*.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 07:24:06 PM »
I am excited that, for the next week, the lows will be in the high twenties (F).  That means I should be able to make it for at least one more week with no heat.

Last night, I was visiting a friend, and slept on the couch.  I got HOT during the night, because I wasn't used to being in a house with temperatures above 65!

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 08:31:35 PM »
So far we've managed to keep our heat off.  We're in the northeast and it's been pretty mild, so no issues.  This week is going to be the chilliest week yet, so we'll see if I can hold out!

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 09:02:46 PM »
We live in the Chicago area and keep our thermostat programed to 55 except for between 6pm-10pm, where it is 65. The insulation is good enough that this will keep the apartment higher than 60 all day until mid January. Our heating costs  end up being about $30-50 / month from November to April.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 03:46:28 AM »
I had to cave this weekend.  :(  The 5yo was cold enough that his nose was constantly dripping and he insisted on wiping it on his sleeve.  He also resists wearing layers...and well, I have to pick my battles.

On an interesting note, I've found our house likes to be cold more than warm.  Meaning we can go longer without turning on AC in the summer than we can without turning on heat.  Not sure how this works exactly, but am assuming it has to do with shade trees.  We don't get much direct sunlight.  On Saturday morning our indoor temp was 52F and I did some baking and was able to move it up a bit, but not much.  Later in the day we noticed that it was warmer outside than inside.  Due to DHs seasonal allergies, opening windows isn't a good idea.

So, we made it to the 20th and we are currently trying to find the non-nose dripping temp break and will strive for that during our hours at home.

kdms

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 04:46:30 AM »
My sympathies for the nose-dripping...I totally understand that situation.  Happens to me every single year when it goes from either hot to cold or cold to hot, and I have yet to find the temp balance to eliminate it. 

I'm lucky my 3yo inherited his daddy's nose in this particular case.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 05:54:15 AM »
Update:  Furnace remains cold and idle!  We continue to hope for sun during the day to heat up the place inside...

Monday Morning (I have an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer...apparently Canadians are weather obsessed...down to the decimal place)  :-)

outdoors = 2.8C (37F)
indoors = 18.8C (66F)

No problems at all so far...but the forecast for the next 7 days...yikes.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 06:11:42 AM »
I'm in!  Ottawa and KDMS, I am in the Ottawa Valley, closer to Montreal, so a bit colder than in town.  House this morning was 15C, lately it has been 18 but the weather has turned.  Winter PJs and flannel sheets are out, summer stuff put away.  Wool-lined moccasins for slippers do wonders.  I also have some incandescent bulbs stashed away for the bathroom so the room warms up for showers.   My version of zone heating.

My silly dog is finally blowing her summer coat and the winter one is already growing in, which makes grooming her not so fun.  She loves the cold, a howling blizzard is just perfect.  I am doing lots of knitting.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 07:40:24 AM »

On an interesting note, I've found our house likes to be cold more than warm. 

Is your house made of brick?

Emerald

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 07:57:40 AM »
Mine has been off since early September.  I'm shooting for mid-November.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 07:36:49 PM »

No...we have brick facing on the front ground floor...the rest is wood.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 08:06:39 PM »

No...we have brick facing on the front ground floor...the rest is wood.

Ah. Our house is brick, which means cold in summer and winter for the most part. I thought your home might be cold for similar reasons.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »
I got my husband in on this challenge which is awesome.  Last night it was chilly in the house and I was about to cave but he wouldn't let me turn it on!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 06:31:24 PM »
Our passive solar heating is working quite well so far. We're due our first hard freeze Friday night, so that will be the real test, but this place didn't get below the mid-50s at night in the worst of last February without any heat installed at all, so I think we may do okay. I'm a wuss about temps below about 60 when I'm working from home and sitting at a computer, so we'll see. So far no heat other than a space heater for 20 minutes or so while showering n the mornings (I'm a wuss about wet, naked, and cold, too...) Temps have stayed between 63 and 68 in the house so far this fall, with no climate control and outside temps ranging from 40 to 83.

We did have to run the AC more than we'd hoped this summer, so it will be nice if the winter is better. The AC thing was humidity and mold rather than temperature, so we're still hoping it will stabilize once the concrete cures more.

kdms

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »
So far so good....DH has asked two evenings in a row now if he should build up a fire (does that count for this challenge?) but nobody's mentioned turning on the furnace except the cats, who are pointedly parking their furry butts over the vents waiting for hot air that isn't coming through.....

Definitely getting harder to say no to an evening fire.  0C outside when I left the house this morning; 18C inside.  We installed 30 new windows last fall, and they've made a huge difference, clearly.  So far, only two changes made - flip flops instead of bare feet (tile) and the bedroom ceiling fan direction has been reversed, so that cool air is no longer blowing down on us at night (we all breathe better with the moving air).

I'm just glad it's not snowed yet...still have potatoes to dig, garlic to plant and pumpkins to bring in this weekend.  :)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »
So far so good....DH has asked two evenings in a row now if he should build up a fire (does that count for this challenge?)

I think fires are perfectly legal (especially if the wood is free).  Be aware that, depending on your setup, fires may make your house warmer or colder.   Most fireplaces are made to look pretty, not to heat.   If there isn't a heat exchanger and/or if the air supply for the fire comes from inside the house: your fire may make your house colder by sucking the warm inside air up the chimney.

kdms

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 04:10:57 PM »
Oh, the wood's free (we collect off Kijiji :) ) and we've got woodstoves that do a marvelous job of heating the house, provided we use fans to circulate the heat.

We've had the sucking holes you're referring to in past homes and that's (usually) the first thing we've 'fixed' when we've bought the place....replace it with a wood or pellet stove.  If we're going to make fire, it's going to be useful, darn it!  lol

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »
i'm up for the challenge! we live in mid - mid - west. we havn't turned the furnace on yet, but do use the fireplace. tell me more about the fireplace making things colder. we have a big brick hearth and fireplace with a wood burning insert. the insert has a fan to blow out the hot air. but it really heats up our house. i can build the fire from about 5pm to midnight, temp will go from 65 to 80 and then by the next am its back down to 68 or so. we do have good souther exposure with tons of windows and that warms the house in the daytime.

hmm....so since the fan on the fireplace insert is drawing on my electric bill, i'm not sure if that really "counts" or not. our furnace is on propane and my goal is to make it another month with just the fireplace. the wood is free, was cut/stacked when we bought our house/property last year. we also have a few (huge and small) dead trees, so should have wood "free" (minus dh's labor) for this winter and next.

but back to the fireplace making the house colder...tell me more? what are the holes you speak of? our house is pretty drafty, a far cry from "sealed up tight." (we are working on it, but likely no big improvements until next year).

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 05:22:43 PM »
I need to do this. We live in San Diego, but have an old house with no insulation nor the ability to add it and it gets chilly in there fast!

I need to toughen up and not be bothered by 50-degree indoor weather. We are going to see how long we can last this year with no heat. Good challenge :)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 05:43:57 PM »
Also in the Ottawa Valley, but west of Ottawa.

We have our heat on! We got it serviced almost three weeks back... but the guy took a piece to get a replacement and.. well, the replacement only came in yesterday. So this afternoon the owner came and put the new bit in, and oh so warm and cozy.

It was cold the last couple of days. We have a couple of electric heaters we've used sporadically. Honestly, it would've been fine but we were away overnight on Sunday - so no body heat, no cooking, nothing - and the house was COLD on Monday when we got home.

Anyway, the furnace itself is on now, so I'll leave the thermostat at about 15 (degrees C, which is what, 59F?) and supplement with small amounts of electric heat where I am.. maybe. We also have a baby due in (gulp) a month so I suspect our heating bill for this winter will be higher than last!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 10:53:45 PM »
i'm up for the challenge! we live in mid - mid - west. we havn't turned the furnace on yet, but do use the fireplace. tell me more about the fireplace making things colder. we have a big brick hearth and fireplace with a wood burning insert. the insert has a fan to blow out the hot air. but it really heats up our house. i can build the fire from about 5pm to midnight, temp will go from 65 to 80 and then by the next am its back down to 68 or so. we do have good souther exposure with tons of windows and that warms the house in the daytime.

I would guess the built in fan is your heat exchanger... and you're probably not losing heat with that setup.  A "normal" fireplace makes a hotspot where it lies... but it also creates a draft that goes quickly up the chimney and draws the air from the room with it.  (An alternate source of air for the fire can solve this issue, too).  The chimney draft causes air to be pulled in from outside: through leaky spots in your walls or your HVAC air inlets or where ever the path of least resistance lies.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 08:10:29 AM »
Update!

Trending colder indoors and out!

This morning saw minus 1C (30F) outside and 16C (61F) inside...there has been no talk of caving in yet!  However, without sunny days....to recover some lost heat inside (cloudy and windy today), it will only be a couple more days until the inside is only marginally warmer than the outside...which will be 6-7C (43F).  I don't think we will be able to continue if that is reached...not sure at what indoor temp we'll pull the pin...will keep posted!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »
Updates - I caved - it was 14C in the house this morning.  It is not the house's fault, it can be -20 and sunny and no wind and the furnace doesn't come on - but it is cold (frost last night, 5C right now at noon) and overcast and windy and the house has been losing more heat each night than it has gained during the day.

I did reset the programmable thermostat - this is my first winter at home, I used to turn the heat way down.  Knitting and music practice do work to keep fingers warm, but don't do a good job of warming them up in the first place.

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 12:28:26 PM »
Montreal girl, checking in! I'm fully expecting to make it into November, it's just a question of how far into November. I live alone in a small basement apartment with north and east facing windows, so there aren't a lot of natural heat sources for me. So far the place has been staying close to 20C on it's own, and I have no sweet clue how. My unit is on one side of a duplex, and while I'm sure there's an apartment on the other side of the duplex as well, my ears are telling me that I'm next to a stairwell on the south side, and there's a garage behind my unit on the west side, so I wouldn't expect much heat to be coming in from there. Due to the laws of physics, I shouldn't be getting much of anything from the unit above me, either. The windows are shit, and the foundation doesn't look great, but I'll take the mysterious warmth!

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »
Okay, so I am a superwimp. I was trying to go until November before turning on my heat. I live in a very old and poorly insulated house, and this morning the temps inside were in the 50s. Right now it is at 61 and it's really hard not to reach over and flip that switch (just for a second..). How long does it take to acclimate? Will 60 start to feel comfortable if I just keep at it?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2013, 06:47:21 PM »
Okay, so I am a superwimp. I was trying to go until November before turning on my heat. I live in a very old and poorly insulated house, and this morning the temps inside were in the 50s. Right now it is at 61 and it's really hard not to reach over and flip that switch (just for a second..). How long does it take to acclimate? Will 60 start to feel comfortable if I just keep at it?

IMHO it just depends on what you're doing. Doing 'computer stuff' for any length of time I find really hard, simply because my hands get so cold. But if you're cooking, watching TV it's fine. Blankets are GOOD - whenever you sit down, pull one over you!

Also thermal underwear. Makes a huge difference to your core - but again, doesn't help if you're typing/mousing sitting at a desk...

Ours is now on and comes on when the temp gets below 16 deg. C or so. But that is where the thermostat is - which is in the center of the house, probably the warmest spot! By the windows in the kitchen is chilly.. today I worked on stuffing stuff into the cracks to stop air flow...

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2013, 08:49:05 PM »

IMHO it just depends on what you're doing. Doing 'computer stuff' for any length of time I find really hard, simply because my hands get so cold. But if you're cooking, watching TV it's fine. Blankets are GOOD - whenever you sit down, pull one over you!

Also thermal underwear. Makes a huge difference to your core - but again, doesn't help if you're typing/mousing sitting at a desk...

Ours is now on and comes on when the temp gets below 16 deg. C or so. But that is where the thermostat is - which is in the center of the house, probably the warmest spot! By the windows in the kitchen is chilly.. today I worked on stuffing stuff into the cracks to stop air flow...

I think you are right. I was doing computer stuff, and my hands were freezing. I took a nice hot bath and I've been toasty warm ever since. I still think I am a superwimp, but I think I can make it another week! And then maybe another!

kdms

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2013, 04:53:42 AM »

We have our heat on! We got it serviced almost three weeks back... but the guy took a piece to get a replacement and.. well, the replacement only came in yesterday. So this afternoon the owner came and put the new bit in, and oh so warm and cozy.

It was cold the last couple of days. We have a couple of electric heaters we've used sporadically. Honestly, it would've been fine but we were away overnight on Sunday - so no body heat, no cooking, nothing - and the house was COLD on Monday when we got home.

Anyway, the furnace itself is on now, so I'll leave the thermostat at about 15 (degrees C, which is what, 59F?) and supplement with small amounts of electric heat where I am.. maybe. We also have a baby due in (gulp) a month so I suspect our heating bill for this winter will be higher than last!

We're also the west side of the valley, and it's interesting that you should mention a new baby - our second is also due in a month at the end of November.  However, we're actually anticipating the heating bill to go down, because I'll be home to keep the woodstove going during the day.  I suspect our ability to hold out on turning the furnace on right now is because I'm the wimp about being cold, and having the natural built-in heater is definitely a bonus right now....we'll see what happens when I can actually see my toes again.  :D

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2013, 06:41:18 AM »
If it's going down to freezing tonight, would it be dumb for me to continue this challenge? I am wondering if the water pipes will burst or not.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2013, 06:43:33 AM »

We're also the west side of the valley, and it's interesting that you should mention a new baby - our second is also due in a month at the end of November.  However, we're actually anticipating the heating bill to go down, because I'll be home to keep the woodstove going during the day.  I suspect our ability to hold out on turning the furnace on right now is because I'm the wimp about being cold, and having the natural built-in heater is definitely a bonus right now....we'll see what happens when I can actually see my toes again.  :D

I found a baby to keep me quite warm. They are little furnaces.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2013, 06:49:07 AM »
If it's going down to freezing tonight, would it be dumb for me to continue this challenge? I am wondering if the water pipes will burst or not.

Depends on what your inside temperature is...and perhaps where your water pipes are in relation to the house exterior.   Perhaps move a thermometer around to various parts in your house to see where you are at.  I don't think you need to go below zero inside your house...although that would be extremely badass.

Update:
This morning it was 15.5C (60F) inside and -1 (30F) outside.  I am quite surprised that the interior temperature is staying this high.  I must disclose, however, that we are in a townhouse with neighbors on each side (east/west).  So, we will definitely be getting benefit from them.  Currently it is sunny outside, which will be boosting the indoor temperature.  I'm still in!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2013, 09:19:20 AM »
Yup having neighbours with their furnace set to 'tropical' certainly helps!

Pipes are unlikely to burst at 0, -1, -2 - the heat you're generating just by living, cooking etc will stop the freezing; as will using water, it brings the cold stuff through and slightly warmer stuff from down below. Thermal mass and all that. But if your basement is getting down to 2, 1 then yeah... turn it on!

Ours is coming on for a couple of minutes at a time, that's all. I've got a t-shirt, shirt and thick hoodie on now so I'm pretty comfy.. had to get up and put thermals on in bed last night though (our bedroom is the coldest room in the house... I need to get some HVAC pipe mastic and seal some stuff up... but there is a vent on the outflow of our furnace?! Like... two feet away from the burners! I don't get it..)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2013, 09:21:49 AM »
Thank you for the advice. I won't stress about it then. Of course, the hot water for showers, etc would help. Do not know why I forgot about that.

brand new stash

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2013, 09:40:43 AM »
Our house was 57 degrees this morning.  Its supposed to be in the 30's overnight the next few days, and not get up above 60 during the day.  So I think it will just get colder over the next few days.  I had been hoping to get through October without using heat, but I'm beginning to worry we won't make it.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »
Don't know if you saw it upthread, but about a week ago, it was 48 F in my house.  I survived without turning on the heat.  Since then, it has been in the low 50's in the mornings.  Still haven't used heat.  I'm kind of getting used to it--sometimes I actually feel too warm...so I unzip my down jacket slightly.  I have also been wearing a hat, a balaclava, a Buff, and down booties.  Toasty.  I hope to make it to at least Nov. 1 without heat.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!