Author Topic: Giving Up Shopping  (Read 21088 times)

NewJourney

Giving Up Shopping
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:34:19 PM »
One of my 2015 Resolutions was a year with no clothes shopping. I didn't know about MMM at the time, what inspired this resolution was from being a minamalist. I've found I'm truly happy, and things are so much more simple with less "stuff".  I even made a few hundred dollars cash by selling everything I hadn't work within the last 6 months.

Where I did mess up was buying a pair of shoes (but I really needed them for the cold weather).

So on that note, anyone up to  possibly starting.  a no shopping challenge together?

Sanne

• Stubble
Re: Giving Up Shopping
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 06:17:44 AM »
Sounds really interesting. Define no shopping. Only groceries?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 10:00:01 AM »
OP, good for you! Most people have so many clothes that they really don't need anything. I have a friend who could go 3+ months without wearing the same top twice. It's truly excessive.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 10:06:01 AM »
There was a no shopping thread last year--it did have some exceptions (I made some--a bra, a coat, shoes), but it was really helpful and I think it 'broke' the shopping pattern for me. Frivolous shopping is something that really seems to operate on a habitual basis, and it's easier to cut off than you might think! You can do it hardcore (wearing everything out and making do), or allow certain necessities to be replaced, but yeah, it's a great process, plus opens up the mental space to downsize and make money off of things and/or clear up space.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 11:24:53 AM »
I can probably get by without getting anything for myself this year, save for a) a pair of casual shoes/sneakers as I have none, and b) raincoat. I have a raincoat but the zipper is slightly broken (if zipped up all the way cannot be zipped down) and also  has lost some of its waterproofing.  And the third thing is clothes for oldest daughter. I thought we would be able to make due but she has grown AGAIN. She made a pile of the clothing she has outgrown on her floor and the yoga pants she wears all the time split down the middle seam : (.   

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 12:00:18 PM »
Sounds really interesting. Define no shopping. Only groceries?

Sorry, I thought it was about more than clothes only because you were talking about stuff ;)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 01:58:26 PM »
I'm already planning to do this for 2016 with the exception of replacement shoes if my shoes break (I'd be SOL as I only have 3 pairs and work on my feet all day), any necessary replacement hosiery, and any supplies for sewing clothing (have all the fabric for my projects, but may need buttons or zippers or thread). So I'm in!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 03:28:39 AM »
I'm game as well. I will think about my rules for this.

Maybe the OP can change the post title to match the one from last year and make it easy to find for others? > No Clothing Shopping in 2016.

NewJourney

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 09:05:21 PM »
So here's what I've been thinking...as last year was no clothes shopping, I'd like to take it farther this year. It was hard at first (mostly out of habit) but after a few weeks I starting loving it, and didn't miss it at all. I also felt stronger and powerful for sticking to it when it was hard. I also loved how much extra money I had. It was CRAZY how fast it added up.  Especially when I saw something I "wanted" and instead of buying it, I made a money transfer of the cost of that item to my savings account. 

When I did this, is really made me realize how much useless crap I bought. Now the very sight of a "bed bath and beyond" disgusts me. There is so much garbage in there that claims to make your life easier. Lies. They just take your money $10 at a time until you've lost hundreds. It really took this shopping ban to realize this. It's been one of the best decisions of my life. This is coming from someone who also had an ADDICTION to Victoria's Secret. (This was also included in the ban). I made so many bad decisions in there, wasted so much money, and run up my card. But I paid it off, closed the account and cut the card. And I'm so happy.

So this time around! I'm going  hardcore. Instead of listing things I cannot buy, I'm making a list of the things I can, which are:

Food
Car insurance
Health insurance
Gas
Things related to getting my business started
Spotify (use it for work)
Gifts (only if can't make them myself)
Personal items (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc)
Car payment
Student loan payment

I'm planning on throwing all my extra money to pay off debts, and get rid of them FOREVER.

So what do you guys think?

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 11:26:47 AM »
I'm intrigued by doing a no-shopping at all year, however a year without a home liquor cabinet being stocked would probably drive my SO up the roof, so I may have to make domestic bliss exceptions. I don't tend to have much of a problem with extraneous purchases - an average of $217/month goes to discretionary categories (haircuts, home liquor, food out, coffee, clothing, sewing, entertainment). It would be interesting to see if I could eliminate this category completely, but a whole year... oof.

Making Cents

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 11:49:38 AM »
Does giving up "discretionary" shopping count?

I sort of did this in 2015 until recently caving to indulge in some professional clothing to wear to work. I did not technically need it-- i wanted it because I worry I look shabby when compared to my colleagues and people who look disheveled seem to be perceived as stressed and incompetent. I did buy most of my clothes secondhand and from a list I had drawn up first and thought about, so feel good about that.

As a woman, this is something I really struggle with because people do judge us so much by appearance and the way we dress (very true for men too but not to the same extreme). Quite honestly, I really couldn't care less what I wear as long as it's functional and comfortable, but there are social consequences for taking that attitude. Since I refuse to spend on make up and wear very little in the way of jewelry or accessories, I sometimes feel like I need to show that I do have a sense of personal style and am aware of other people's expectations.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 01:57:20 PM »
My carefully crafted response disappeared.  Perhaps I'll come back later with my story.

Check out buynothingyear.com  A couple challenged themselves to buy nothing but necessities for a year and (of course) blogged about it.  There are several similar blogs out there.

NewJourney

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 10:07:02 PM »

As a woman, this is something I really struggle with because people do judge us so much by appearance and the way we dress (very true for men too but not to the same extreme). Quite honestly, I really couldn't care less what I wear as long as it's functional and comfortable, but there are social consequences for taking that attitude. Since I refuse to spend on make up and wear very little in the way of jewelry or accessories, I sometimes feel like I need to show that I do have a sense of personal style and am aware of other people's expectations.

I hear you. People judge women a lot by their appearances, so it does make it difficult.  The problem I always face however, is the opposite. I care so little what people ever think about my appearance, that's it's bad (lol?) I only have about 40 clothing items, and they are all very nice, and I am very capable of looking great, organized, put together etc. but I rarely feel like situations and people  are worth the effort. The last time I dressed up was for a job interview.

It's probably easier for me though as all the jobs I've ever had, had a designated uniform. 

NewJourney

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 10:11:34 PM »
I'm intrigued by doing a no-shopping at all year, however a year without a home liquor cabinet being stocked would probably drive my SO up the roof, so I may have to make domestic bliss exceptions. I don't tend to have much of a problem with extraneous purchases - an average of $217/month goes to discretionary categories (haircuts, home liquor, food out, coffee, clothing, sewing, entertainment). It would be interesting to see if I could eliminate this category completely, but a whole year... oof.

I guess it depends on the person and their situation. When I gave up shopping it was only the beginning. When I saw how awesome I felt and how much money I saved, I eliminated all other categories as well.

It was crazy to me how once I eliminated everything, (I was freaking out I'd be needing so much stuff) I was made aware of how much stuff I actually don't need after all, and I didn't miss any of it.

Making Cents

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 11:57:37 AM »

I hear you. People judge women a lot by their appearances, so it does make it difficult.  The problem I always face however, is the opposite. I care so little what people ever think about my appearance, that's it's bad (lol?) I only have about 40 clothing items, and they are all very nice, and I am very capable of looking great, organized, put together etc. but I rarely feel like situations and people  are worth the effort. The last time I dressed up was for a job interview.

It's probably easier for me though as all the jobs I've ever had, had a designated uniform.

Yeah, I'm the same - small closet of nice clothes I wear for years. This means they are generally "classics" and so pretty boring in neutral colors. Like you, I tend not to care enough, but people do notice and there are all these really disturbing studies/surveys that show that women who do not wear makeup or dress stylishly in certain professional settings are perceived as less competent and therefore promoted less often. I don't care a bit about the latest fashion trend and would rather admire it on my female friends than participate in it, but I absolutely care whether I stack the odds against my own promotion!

I totally envy you the uniform. That is my idea of bliss!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 06:52:08 AM »
I definitely have to do a no buy for beauty items. I am only going to purchase needs and if I can replace or use something I have instead, I will do that. 

Clothes, the same. I do need some new tops and shoes but will keep it to a minimum and hopefully I can take care of that before 2016.  We will see.

I am ready to do this challenge. It is clear to me I need to break the shopping habit and I think I can only do that if I stay away from it.  It has been a hard one for me.

I am going to give myself an overall budget and that will help me keep on track.  Things that are excluded are the basic need items or life circumstance expenses. I am thinking through a fair but strict budget now.

dkaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 08:07:03 AM »
I desperately need to do this as well, I just can't shake the $30 habit of random purchases I swear I "need" (but in reality don't).  I would need to figure out a plan when it comes to costs related to home remodeling.  We moved last year and are in the process of fixing things up so some costs related to this are ok.  But it can quickly turn into a black hole of buying crap if I'm not careful.  Maybe I can buy "hard" things like fixtures but not "soft" things like accessories. 

I'll stay tuned here....:) 

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 11:04:25 AM »
Dkaid, do you keep an outbox for donations? It puts the stuff you already own and how much you 'need' most things in perspective!

dkaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 12:39:43 PM »
Dkaid, do you keep an outbox for donations? It puts the stuff you already own and how much you 'need' most things in perspective!

Yes, sigh, I do.  It's rather sickening.  When we moved, we downsized significantly, and became (almost!) mortgage free.  I got rid of loads of stuff.  And I'm making progress on becoming a minimalist.  But I can't quite shake the shopping habit altogether.  This holiday season has not gone as planned....  even though I know better.  I've wanted to do a no shopping challenge for some time, but struggle with some of it as I have 2 school aged kids and a husband who is not on board.  But I know I can at least apply it to myself and set an example. 

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 08:25:05 PM »
I cant shake the shopping habit either.  I got rid of at least 70% of my stuff, still have too much, but I continue to buy more, telling myself I need it but really dont.  I would really like to just have what I love and use with nothing stored but seasonal items.  I do good for a little while and then fall off the wagon again.  In 2106, I am going to create a budget for myself and stick to it for "wants."  Hopefully, this will help my curtail it a bit. 

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 12:11:41 AM »
I cant shake the shopping habit either.  I got rid of at least 70% of my stuff, still have too much, but I continue to buy more, telling myself I need it but really dont.  I would really like to just have what I love and use with nothing stored but seasonal items.  I do good for a little while and then fall off the wagon again.  In 2106, I am going to create a budget for myself and stick to it for "wants."  Hopefully, this will help my curtail it a bit.

Procrastination! I dare you to do it in 2016 ;)

dkaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 08:09:13 AM »
I'm most likely over thinking this.... but I feel like I need to find the "trick" that will enable me to stop shopping.  I've tried for so long, but it's mostly an ok, let's do this mentality.  Then something comes up and I ditch the whole idea.  For about a month last year I made myself not buy anything new that cost more than $10.  I liked this as it slowed me down (i.e. no amazon!).  But then we decided to sell our house and move so that was all derailed.  Now that we are settled in our smaller home, I really have no excuse.  I think it's more that I love the thrill of the a hunt for a good deal the idea of finding a new great product.  Sigh, i realize that sounds pretty pathetic as I type it.  Anyway, would love to join with others to do this in 2016. 

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 09:55:50 AM »
Dkaid, did you read YMOYL? Thinking about gazingpus pins helped me shift my patterns. Maybe you could shift your hunt to free craigslist...?

dkaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »
Dkaid, did you read YMOYL? Thinking about gazingpus pins helped me shift my patterns. Maybe you could shift your hunt to free craigslist...?

I did read it years ago.  Funny that I've stumbled across references to it seemingly a 100 times in the last few days.... I think I'll check it out again:)  I remember that I loved it.... 

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2015, 05:48:36 PM »
Very excited to not clothes shop in 2016, but recently realized I have no pants that fit. To be fair, I only had one pair of pants before, and they shrunk in the washer awhile back. Wanted to wear pants this weekend (I rarely do), found I had none. Now I'm struggling with if I should obtain some before the new year starts or just go without pants for a year.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 07:02:06 PM »

Lol, okay, only for clothes shopping though.  Procrastination is one thing I do well in all other areas of my life and that is one thing I would like to change this year.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »
OP, good for you! Most people have so many clothes that they really don't need anything. I have a friend who could go 3+ months without wearing the same top twice. It's truly excessive.

I worked with a lady for a bit over two years and I never saw her in the same pair of shoes. She had a whole room dedicated to shoes and would often buy two or three new pairs on lunch breaks

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 05:44:32 AM »

Lol, okay, only for clothes shopping though.  Procrastination is one thing I do well in all other areas of my life and that is one thing I would like to change this year.

I was aiming at your typo (2106 instead of 2016) but I hear ya. Your story sounds like my story. I also got rid of about 70% and am getting much better but am definitely not there yet.. And I'm also a master procrastinator. Hence me being here on the forum right now..

I've joined the reduce clothing shopping challenge because if I try to stick to a budget I go shopping which leads to more shopping..

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 05:58:04 AM »
I have an entire new wardrobe of clothes purchased with the optimism of losing some weight. If I could only When I lose some weight now, I wouldn't have to buy new clothes for 10 years, apart from shoes, socks and underwear. I also broke my stupid 'watch buying habit' when my youngest gifted me a beautiful watch previous Christmas. Luckily, most of my watch purchases were cheapos anyway so no big deal.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 07:24:13 AM »

I was aiming at your typo (2106 instead of 2016) but I hear ya. Your story sounds like my story. I also got rid of about 70% and am getting much better but am definitely not there yet.. And I'm also a master procrastinator. Hence me being here on the forum right now..

I've joined the reduce clothing shopping challenge because if I try to stick to a budget I go shopping which leads to more shopping..

oh!!! LOL, missed it.   Maybe I should push all of my troubles to 2106, then I can continue doing what I am doing blissfully. :)

dkaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 12:16:19 PM »
So far I am committed to this in January.  It of course is not going that well.  Spent about $6 on "stuff".  Not horrible but I know how the rabbit hole works......!  I did at least sell $70 worth of stuff and make some returns. 
I think my lack of patience and my need to "do" something to "fix" a problem (problem being not saving enough) is at the heart of why it's so hard for me.  The act of not spending feels like doing nothing.  Anyway, I"m going to work to stay on course month by month. 
Has anyone else committed to do so??? 

NewJourney

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2016, 09:50:32 PM »
So far I am committed to this in January.  It of course is not going that well.  Spent about $6 on "stuff".  Not horrible but I know how the rabbit hole works......!  I did at least sell $70 worth of stuff and make some returns. 
I think my lack of patience and my need to "do" something to "fix" a problem (problem being not saving enough) is at the heart of why it's so hard for me.  The act of not spending feels like doing nothing.  Anyway, I"m going to work to stay on course month by month. 

It takes a while to break the habit..but as I started breaking the need to shop, I started finding other ways to be fulfilled, and it started feeling good to not be a slave to the need to buy things. It's very empowering :-)

John74

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2016, 10:01:09 PM »
I started a no discretionary shopping year on January 1st. I want to save money to renovate my house next year.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »

@dkaid Absolutely - I can only commit from month to month or I'll go crazy. I started buying jewelry a couple of years back and it is now a habit raging out of control - so yup, I'm struggling, but so far so good and only 11 more days in January - we can do that!:)

I'll join this challenge, not because I need to quit shopping altogether, I am fine with my spending plan/budget. My trouble is this newly acquired addiction to buying jewelry. Whatever needy place inside me that came from - it better leave - I am over it.

It killed me to not buy anything during gemweek at all three shopping channels or on line - so maybe I am out of the woods for the month of January. I am counting the days, so I can say I made it:)

Admittedly, there was one mini slide of purchasing a jewelry box, but I did need that for organization and we are talking about $21 so I think I can forgive myself for that and move on.

... and since today I sent $500 to my savings instead - I am officially barred from any purchases, since I cannot afford anything now. Maybe that is the trouble - this thought of "I cannot afford it" makes me instantly rebellious.

I am changing my mantra to say: I am re-directing my money to reach my new goals. So there - wish me luck:)

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2016, 08:24:55 AM »
Ok, have to get onto this thread. This month has had a lot of apartment decor spending (fine) but I've also bought clothes after abstaining last year, and I know I don't actually *need* new clothes. Need to figure out how to adjust!

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 02:16:07 PM »
I'm not doing "no shopping", but instead "buy nothing new" aka The Compact. Other than groceries/toiletries, the only stuff I've bought this year was underwear for our toddler (yay potty training!). I ordered a used skirt from Yerdle for me, again it's nothing new. I like this a lot better b/c it forces me to carefully select clothing instead of just picking what's in the front of the rack at Target that month. It's 99% for environmental reasons, 1% for financial.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 01:14:13 AM »
Re-directing money to reach goals sounds like a good plan. If the goals can be reached by not spending money and buying stuff this would be even better of course.

Trial and error: I will try to only buy stuff when it's solving a problem. No pants to wear = problem, so I can buy new pants. If I still have enough it’s not a problem so I can’t buy more. If my bike lock isn’t working like it should, I can buy a new one if that means I can’t use my bike. I will try to not buy when it isn’t solving a problem (and will not make a problem up..) Also, some problems don’t need solving (immediately) or can be solved through other things. Like I said, will try this..

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2016, 05:15:38 AM »
My shopping so far has been minimal and I even need shoes, I just haven't gotten out there yet. Well, I have gone shopping but who in the world wears those heels. I can no longer wear them. And I think I am just giving it a minute to try and break the "need" to shop so I don't fall down a rabbit hole. So far, so good. 

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2016, 10:56:10 AM »
Was just reading about 'the compact' to not buy anything new for a year. Last year I came really close to this without much effort, due to my no clothes ban (with a few minor exceptions). Also didn't really buy any house stuff new. Gifts can be an issue but I made some and thrifted some last year; I'd like to try it out, though it feels a bit terrifying, I feel like I need to firm u my commitment to get off the spending/shopping horse.

YoungRetire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2016, 04:38:22 PM »
One of my 2015 Resolutions was a year with no clothes shopping. I didn't know about MMM at the time, what inspired this resolution was from being a minamalist. I've found I'm truly happy, and things are so much more simple with less "stuff".  I even made a few hundred dollars cash by selling everything I hadn't work within the last 6 months.

Where I did mess up was buying a pair of shoes (but I really needed them for the cold weather).

So on that note, anyone up to  possibly starting.  a no shopping challenge together?

I am one of the lucky ones that gave up shopping over 20 years ago. 👍

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2016, 05:30:28 PM »
I am in!

My goal is to stick to a $20 budget for clothing per month. It may not be a challenge for a trained mustachian, but for me who just started out and probably spent 2k on clothing last year... it's a big step.

I also dont want to buy kitchen stuff or "stuff" in general.

Looking forward to supporting each other in this thread!

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2016, 06:30:31 PM »
I am in!

My goal is to stick to a $20 budget for clothing per month. It may not be a challenge for a trained mustachian, but for me who just started out and probably spent 2k on clothing last year... it's a big step.

I often end up buying kitchen stuff with the thought that I need it if I am going to cook at home more. But in reality I just use the same few things and the stuff accumulates dust :(

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2016, 07:10:57 PM »
I am in!

I often end up buying kitchen stuff with the thought that I need it if I am going to cook at home more. But in reality I just use the same few things and the stuff accumulates dust :(

Me too. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2016, 04:09:57 AM »
Okay, I've been quietly reading this thread for a few weeks, hoping the answer would present itself. But, what do you guys mean when you say "shopping"? Clearly it's not adding TP to your list when you load the last roll on the holder and then getting it when you go to the store for milk and produce later in the week. Is it? I don't think that sort of shopping can be given up, not in practical terms.

But "shopping" still seems to mean something different to different people who post here. So what are we all talking about?

NewJourney

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2016, 08:32:53 AM »
Okay, I've been quietly reading this thread for a few weeks, hoping the answer would present itself. But, what do you guys mean when you say "shopping"? Clearly it's not adding TP to your list when you load the last roll on the holder and then getting it when you go to the store for milk and produce later in the week. Is it? I don't think that sort of shopping can be given up, not in practical terms.

But "shopping" still seems to mean something different to different people who post here. So what are we all talking about?

So when I started the thread, what O had in mind was cutting out ANY additional costs than necessities. For example..I allowed myself to spend money sparingly in these categories...(other than bills of course).

Personal care items (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc.)
Food
Gifts
Gas

Items/categories I completely cut out...

Shopping for (clothes, VS, purses,
Shoes (gets its own category)
Unnecessary Cosmetics
Home/kitchen items

Some people mentioned that they still need to purchase things like a certain clothing item they don't have, or a kitchen appliance they need. I haven't found myself "needing" anything like that all of last year I did this, or this year. However it differs for everyone depending on the person/situation.  That's why you are able to kind of "tailor" it depending on your lifestyle.

I've been so serious about it that I've also been purging all of my stuff and have probably eliminated my stuff by about 60%, and I still haven't found a need to purchase anything.

Once I learned to say no to a feeling that I "need" something, it turned out I never did.

littleqt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2016, 09:45:33 AM »
Hey NewJourney,

I'm in with you on this resolution as well. Also, I love Spotify, it's my favorite app. Even though it's only $10/month, I don't actually NEED it, so I'm exercising other alternatives. I've been trying out free trials of the other streaming music services. Also, there is a jailbreak tweak called "SaveCloud" that lets you download songs from Sound Cloud. I haven't tried this as my phone is old and not jailbroken, but my SO loves it. I do listen to Sound Cloud at work though. You can still build up a playlist of songs that you liked.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2016, 09:50:46 AM »
Spotify does still have a version you pay for by listening to consumerist propaganda with no out of pocket expense.

Hey NewJourney,

I'm in with you on this resolution as well. Also, I love Spotify, it's my favorite app. Even though it's only $10/month, I don't actually NEED it, so I'm exercising other alternatives. I've been trying out free trials of the other streaming music services. Also, there is a jailbreak tweak called "SaveCloud" that lets you download songs from Sound Cloud. I haven't tried this as my phone is old and not jailbroken, but my SO loves it. I do listen to Sound Cloud at work though. You can still build up a playlist of songs that you liked.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2016, 11:37:02 AM »

Oh hell ya! Same here!
Usually I buy containers, lots of containers so I can bring my food to work. Before I used to get the fancy ones for 8.99 a piece. Now I am scouring the dollar store, have to admit though that they leak if your lunch isnt frozen.... maybe it's worth the investment...

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2016, 11:44:27 AM »

Join in! It's going to be fun to support each other and cheer each other on!

To me "shopping" is, when I buy something that I dont need right now.
Like today: there are plenty of coupons in my wallet that could get me stuff from the drugstore that are on sale even cheaper. Cleaning supplies, showergel, toiletpaper. Now... I have enough toothpaste and shampoo to last all year and no more space to store toiletpaper. So obviously it is not NECESSARY for me to go and get those things.

Of course if I run out of something, I  buy it. Like food or underwear or replacing a pair of shoes or a new basic t shirt.

I think everyone has their own personal limit of what's "done and needs replacement" and what can still be "good for another season".
I want to ask myself this year even more, do I really need this or is it just a want?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2016, 02:18:16 PM »

Join in! It's going to be fun to support each other and cheer each other on!

To me "shopping" is, when I buy something that I dont need right now.
Like today: there are plenty of coupons in my wallet that could get me stuff from the drugstore that are on sale even cheaper. Cleaning supplies, showergel, toiletpaper. Now... I have enough toothpaste and shampoo to last all year and no more space to store toiletpaper. So obviously it is not NECESSARY for me to go and get those things.

Of course if I run out of something, I  buy it. Like food or underwear or replacing a pair of shoes or a new basic t shirt.

I think everyone has their own personal limit of what's "done and needs replacement" and what can still be "good for another season".
I want to ask myself this year even more, do I really need this or is it just a want?

I think I am going to be a cheerleader. It's a great idea, and I guess it doesn't matter what kind of shopping a person struggles with. Ours is eating out, which we do nearly once a week, so I guess that's how I'll play along.

However , husband will be eating out on Tuesday - we carpool to work/school, and I have to stay for an administrative "retreat" which will last until 8 or 9 pm. I'll be fed there, but he's a student and not invited to the retreat. :) I can't see asking him to eat a cold supper or to wait until 10:00 when we get home to eat (we'll get there at 8 am, so we do pack lunch and a snack every day). It would cost us more to drive two cars than to feed him, though.

So. I'll shoot for his Tuesday supper being our only eating out for the week.