Author Topic: Giving Up Shopping  (Read 21089 times)

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
Re: Giving Up Shopping
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2016, 03:09:51 PM »
Okay, I've been quietly reading this thread for a few weeks, hoping the answer would present itself. But, what do you guys mean when you say "shopping"? Clearly it's not adding TP to your list when you load the last roll on the holder and then getting it when you go to the store for milk and produce later in the week. Is it? I don't think that sort of shopping can be given up, not in practical terms.

But "shopping" still seems to mean something different to different people who post here. So what are we all talking about?

Join in! It's going to be fun to support each other and cheer each other on!

To me "shopping" is, when I buy something that I dont need right now.
Like today: there are plenty of coupons in my wallet that could get me stuff from the drugstore that are on sale even cheaper. Cleaning supplies, showergel, toiletpaper. Now... I have enough toothpaste and shampoo to last all year and no more space to store toiletpaper. So obviously it is not NECESSARY for me to go and get those things.

Of course if I run out of something, I  buy it. Like food or underwear or replacing a pair of shoes or a new basic t shirt.

I think everyone has their own personal limit of what's "done and needs replacement" and what can still be "good for another season".
I want to ask myself this year even more, do I really need this or is it just a want?

I think I am going to be a cheerleader. It's a great idea, and I guess it doesn't matter what kind of shopping a person struggles with. Ours is eating out, which we do nearly once a week, so I guess that's how I'll play along.

However , husband will be eating out on Tuesday - we carpool to work/school, and I have to stay for an administrative "retreat" which will last until 8 or 9 pm. I'll be fed there, but he's a student and not invited to the retreat. :) I can't see asking him to eat a cold supper or to wait until 10:00 when we get home to eat (we'll get there at 8 am, so we do pack lunch and a snack every day). It would cost us more to drive two cars than to feed him, though.

So. I'll shoot for his Tuesday supper being our only eating out for the week.

I think that sounds like a pretty good goal! Everybody has different kinds of shopping that are tough.
And to be honest with Tuesday's program I think eating out is completely ok. I would do the same thing!

NewJourney

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2016, 11:02:35 PM »

I often end up buying kitchen stuff with the thought that I need it if I am going to cook at home more. But in reality I just use the same few things and the stuff accumulates dust :(

Oh hell ya! Same here!
Usually I buy containers, lots of containers so I can bring my food to work. Before I used to get the fancy ones for 8.99 a piece. Now I am scouring the dollar store, have to admit though that they leak if your lunch isnt frozen.... maybe it's worth the investment...

As far as this goes..when I do decide that I absolutely really need something I always buy the best quality I can get. Because when you think about it, it saves so much time, energy, less landfill to just invest in the best one.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2016, 10:07:06 AM »

I often end up buying kitchen stuff with the thought that I need it if I am going to cook at home more. But in reality I just use the same few things and the stuff accumulates dust :(

Oh hell ya! Same here!
Usually I buy containers, lots of containers so I can bring my food to work. Before I used to get the fancy ones for 8.99 a piece. Now I am scouring the dollar store, have to admit though that they leak if your lunch isnt frozen.... maybe it's worth the investment...

As far as this goes..when I do decide that I absolutely really need something I always buy the best quality I can get. Because when you think about it, it saves so much time, energy, less landfill to just invest in the best one.

So true! And the glass containers are much better for microwaving than plastic. It's just not good for my health I believe to heat plastic containers. And they dont discolour, are more hygienic etc. 

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2016, 02:44:09 PM »
I would love to belatedly join this 2016 challenge! I was wondering if I could ask for thoughts on this:

My biggest weakness is cosmetics. A new lipstick, a stunning highlighter - I just love makeup, but they are perishable items that will go bad and take a very long time to use up. So what do you think the solution is? Cold turkey? One item a month? (Which would be a drastic reduction for me, I'm afraid to admit. I am addicted to Sephora and beauty blogs.)

The clothing shopping I think I can cut. As long as I don't go to the mall, I'm fine. If I go, I tend to pick up a few items. And the only reason I've been going the past few months is because I started a new job at the end of August and barely had any business casual items to wear. My previous job, despite being in a high level of leadership, was working mostly solo in my own region, therefore I wore jeans and v-neck tshirts to work basically every day for over seven years. (Or jeans and sweaters in the winter.) I think I more or less have my workware situated. Yes, I would prefer for some things to be a bit higher quality, and I have purchased a few things that I don't really like in a feeling of "oh god it's getting colder and I have no long sleeves" but I think I can get through the winter. I may need an assessment come summer because I started at the very end of August and just scraped a few things together to get me to cooler temps, but I don't need to think about that until April or May.  Anyway, all of this to say, I think I can do controlled spending on the wardrobe (may need some bras, but I have a large cup size that I can't get at like VS or anything, so I just replace nude and black once year or so). I was having a shoe situation with no comfortable shoes that I could wear with socks, but I just got a pair last week. I have learned a lesson there...cheap shoes that aren't comfortable aren't worth the "savings". Spend more, have happy feet, and gladly wear the same few pairs until the fall apart years down the road (thereby actually being a better value than the cheap ones that always get replaced!)

But makeup. God, that's where I need help and accountability and this challenge! As well as not using the excuse of "new job, new clothes".

NewJourney

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2016, 05:20:11 PM »
I would love to belatedly join this 2016 challenge! I was wondering if I could ask for thoughts on this:

My biggest weakness is cosmetics. A new lipstick, a stunning highlighter - I just love makeup, but they are perishable items that will go bad and take a very long time to use up. So what do you think the solution is? Cold turkey? One item a month? (Which would be a drastic reduction for me, I'm afraid to admit. I am addicted to Sephora and beauty blogs.)

The clothing shopping I think I can cut. As long as I don't go to the mall, I'm fine. If I go, I tend to pick up a few items. And the only reason I've been going the past few months is because I started a new job at the end of August and barely had any business casual items to wear. My previous job, despite being in a high level of leadership, was working mostly solo in my own region, therefore I wore jeans and v-neck tshirts to work basically every day for over seven years. (Or jeans and sweaters in the winter.) I think I more or less have my workware situated. Yes, I would prefer for some things to be a bit higher quality, and I have purchased a few things that I don't really like in a feeling of "oh god it's getting colder and I have no long sleeves" but I think I can get through the winter. I may need an assessment come summer because I started at the very end of August and just scraped a few things together to get me to cooler temps, but I don't need to think about that until April or May.  Anyway, all of this to say, I think I can do controlled spending on the wardrobe (may need some bras, but I have a large cup size that I can't get at like VS or anything, so I just replace nude and black once year or so). I was having a shoe situation with no comfortable shoes that I could wear with socks, but I just got a pair last week. I have learned a lesson there...cheap shoes that aren't comfortable aren't worth the "savings". Spend more, have happy feet, and gladly wear the same few pairs until the fall apart years down the road (thereby actually being a better value than the cheap ones that always get replaced!)

But makeup. God, that's where I need help and accountability and this challenge! As well as not using the excuse of "new job, new clothes".

Wow, I had the EXACT same problem with makeup! Then I downloaded the app called "Think Dirty" where you scan the barcodes of toe products and they tell how bad or good it is for you on a scale of 1-10. It then goes further to list every single ingredient and tells you exactly why it's good or bad and what the effects are. This app changed everything. Especially after I found out the chemicals in makeup get absorbed into the blood in like 20 seconds and cause pretty bad things like cancer, Alzheimer's disease, etc.  That was the change I had needed. So what I did was replaced a few items each month and at that point I didn't count it as a beauty cost, I counted it more as a health and wellbeing cost because I knew how much I was doing for my health. All of this kept me out of stores (spend less right there), online shopping only, and it was a goal for me to ONLY purchase clean items with a 4 or less rating on the app.

So thats what I did, and it worked great for me. I was shocked to notice how much better my skin could breathe and how much it glowed, all while slowing up on the makeup purchasing and carefully selecting the best products that's better for my health and wellbeing.

I've done all the research so if you need and tip or sites just let me know :-)

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2016, 05:24:33 PM »
I don't shop much anyway, but this year will be harder for me since I'm gonna need maternity clothes. So hell yeah, bring on the challenge! No clothes purchases at all for me this year, only hand me downs(ups) and free stuff from my community.

My one concession might be a new pair of sneakers since I want to keep my exercise routine going, but even that I'll try and ask for for my birthday instead of buying it myself. We can do it, go team!

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2016, 05:52:18 PM »

Wow, I had the EXACT same problem with makeup! Then I downloaded the app called "Think Dirty" where you scan the barcodes of toe products and they tell how bad or good it is for you on a scale of 1-10. It then goes further to list every single ingredient and tells you exactly why it's good or bad and what the effects are. This app changed everything. Especially after I found out the chemicals in makeup get absorbed into the blood in like 20 seconds and cause pretty bad things like cancer, Alzheimer's disease, etc.  That was the change I had needed. So what I did was replaced a few items each month and at that point I didn't count it as a beauty cost, I counted it more as a health and wellbeing cost because I knew how much I was doing for my health. All of this kept me out of stores (spend less right there), online shopping only, and it was a goal for me to ONLY purchase clean items with a 4 or less rating on the app.

So thats what I did, and it worked great for me. I was shocked to notice how much better my skin could breathe and how much it glowed, all while slowing up on the makeup purchasing and carefully selecting the best products that's better for my health and wellbeing.

Great tip on the app! I'll check it out! Any foundation recommendations that aren't horrible?

NewJourney

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2016, 09:31:49 PM »

Great tip on the app! I'll check it out! Any foundation recommendations that aren't horrible?

Yeah anytime!  I'm absolutely IN LOVE 😍 with Elate Cosmetics foundation. I've tried SOOOO many and this one is even better than my favorite chemical filled one that I used to love. It has bamboo in it and it literally feels cool on your face. I also LOVE their powders, and the containers are soooo darn cute! I can't say enough good things. If you go to their site you can get samples to find your shade. OH! and even if you apply it heavy, it always seems to still look natural and never caked on.

---if you can't tell I love the is products lol www.elatebeauty.com

And now that I'm talking about healthy products, check out Primal Pit Paste too..works better than regular deodorant and detoxes the heave metals from your blood.

Ok. I'm done. Haha

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2016, 07:07:14 AM »

I think if you can downgrade to one item a month that would be a great achievement!! Go for it! And be honest with yourself and with our little group. We wont bash you! Just encourage you!
Also: re beauty blogs - can you unsubscribe from the emails that you are getting? I've done that for most of my advertisement emails. If you don't even get the "50% off now" email, you will likely be able to resist longer.

I am also thinking of a dedicated afternoon of making an inventory. (I went through my bathroom cupboards last weekend and am DEFINITELY covered with toothpaste and shampoo for the year)
Collect EVERYTHING in boxes and look at the combined mass of beauty items. Then make it your goal to use up item by item. Once you realize the amounts you have (and cash you've spent) it might be easier to resist new additions.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2016, 09:58:21 AM »

I think if you can downgrade to one item a month that would be a great achievement!! Go for it! And be honest with yourself and with our little group. We wont bash you! Just encourage you!
Also: re beauty blogs - can you unsubscribe from the emails that you are getting? I've done that for most of my advertisement emails. If you don't even get the "50% off now" email, you will likely be able to resist longer.

I am also thinking of a dedicated afternoon of making an inventory. (I went through my bathroom cupboards last weekend and am DEFINITELY covered with toothpaste and shampoo for the year)
Collect EVERYTHING in boxes and look at the combined mass of beauty items. Then make it your goal to use up item by item. Once you realize the amounts you have (and cash you've spent) it might be easier to resist new additions.

I've actually already done the inventory! That's part of what has me realize this needs to stop! And I was ruthless. I even added up the fluid ounces I had just in sample size serums and realized I'm probably good for the year with serums. And I'm working on dedicated items to use up and move out. I have started to unsubscribe to newsletters and emails, but it's hard to do with my favorite ones, like Sephora. I have also found that clearing things out of my online wishlist helps. The wishlist tends to start to feel like a shopping list - like, oh, I'll eventually pick up these items. So taking things off that has helped. I've also stopped following some of my favorite instagrams accounts where they preview new collections and hype up to-be-released products. I think that will help a lot as well.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2016, 10:51:01 AM »
PD--do you have friends who like makeup too? Could you have small 'makeup swaps' where you sterilize what you have and trade it? That way you get the 'new' feeling while also addressing the fact that you have too much.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2016, 12:53:20 PM »

I've actually already done the inventory! That's part of what has me realize this needs to stop! And I was ruthless. I even added up the fluid ounces I had just in sample size serums and realized I'm probably good for the year with serums. And I'm working on dedicated items to use up and move out. I have started to unsubscribe to newsletters and emails, but it's hard to do with my favorite ones, like Sephora. I have also found that clearing things out of my online wishlist helps. The wishlist tends to start to feel like a shopping list - like, oh, I'll eventually pick up these items. So taking things off that has helped. I've also stopped following some of my favorite instagrams accounts where they preview new collections and hype up to-be-released products. I think that will help a lot as well.

Absolutely! That will make a huge difference. In the end look at it this way: with every item you remove off your list and every newsletter you unsubscribe and every instagram account you unfollow you are reducing the influence of all those marketing campaigns.
I PROMISE you that you will not miss something that you don't even know exists. ;)

Oh and there is this:
We can get USED to shopping. But at the same time we can also get USED to NOT shopping.
Both are habits. And both can be formed with time.

I had a Starbucks habit every morning. Now I have a weekend-Starbucks habit that is much better for me. And it's not even hard anymore.
I had a yarn habit (would spend hundreds of dollars on fancy hand dyed artisanal yarns) - not anymore. It's become a habit NOT to look at the new updates of the designers.

And I am just as happy (if not happier) than before.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2016, 01:22:29 PM »
Oh and there is this:
We can get USED to shopping. But at the same time we can also get USED to NOT shopping.

I had a Starbucks habit every morning. Now I have a weekend-Starbucks habit that is much better for me. And it's not even hard anymore.
I had a yarn habit (would spend hundreds of dollars on fancy hand dyed artisanal yarns) - not anymore. It's become a habit NOT to look at the new updates of the designers.

This is good stuff! I actually knew all these lessons a long time ago. About 10 years ago I cut spending and swelled my savings and managed to buy a house and pay off a car really fast. Then I just got loose with the spending. Probably about four years ago. And I could just kick myself for letting it happen. I know I can do it again, because I did it once already. I just need the reminders and accountability and inspiration!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2016, 02:43:29 PM »

I can only commit from month to month or I'll go crazy. I started buying jewelry a couple of years back and it is now a habit raging out of control - so yup, I'm struggling, but so far so good and only 11 more days in January - we can do that!:)

I'll join this challenge, not because I need to quit shopping altogether, I am fine with my spending plan/budget. My trouble is this newly acquired addiction to buying jewelry. Whatever needy place inside me that came from - it better leave - I am over it.

It killed me to not buy anything during gemweek at all three shopping channels or on line - so maybe I am out of the woods for the month of January. I am counting the days, so I can say I made it:)

Admittedly, there was one mini slide of purchasing a jewelry box, but I did need that for organization and we are talking about $21 so I think I can forgive myself for that and move on.

... and since today I sent $500 to my savings instead - I am officially barred from any purchases, since I cannot afford anything now. Maybe that is the trouble - this thought of "I cannot afford it" makes me instantly rebellious.

I am changing my mantra to say: I am re-directing my money to reach my new goals. So there - wish me luck:)

Just checking in - January is almost over - no jewelry so far and in February I plan to re-direct my money to my new goals once again - wish me luck!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:45:06 PM by Rosy »

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2016, 04:07:38 PM »
Good luck, Rosy!

Holy wake up call. I just looked over a spreadsheet I had made about 9 years ago listing all of my monthly expenses vs my take home pay and updated it for today's numbers. If I didn't have credit card debt, I would already have my living expenses at only 50% of my take home pay. Even including a student loan payment!

Talk about renewed commitment! Laser focus to get these stupid things paid off. The student loans, even with minimum payments, should be done in three years. If I can have all of my non mortgage debt paid off in three years, I'll be able to easily invest and save 50% of my take home! (Luckily I do have some retirement savings already started.) I still think it will be hard, I think my childcare expenses this summer will slow my roll quite a bit (new job, must work from office every day, I used to work from home 2.5 days a week at my old job) so it will take some dedication and planning, but I want to sit down with some spreadsheets and really map out the next three years and see if it's doable! (Sorry, this is unrelated to the shopping thread, yet totally related at the same time!)

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2016, 03:38:49 AM »
Oh and there is this:

Great point! This is SO true. I'm trying to form this new habit.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2016, 11:06:17 AM »
Oh and there is this:

This is good stuff! I actually knew all these lessons a long time ago. About 10 years ago I cut spending and swelled my savings and managed to buy a house and pay off a car really fast. Then I just got loose with the spending. Probably about four years ago. And I could just kick myself for letting it happen. I know I can do it again, because I did it once already. I just need the reminders and accountability and inspiration!

We'll make a great team! I too need the reminders and accountability and inspiration. While I haven't been good w money in the past at all, you have already had really GREAT success with saving and buying a house and car. Well done girl!! Look back and tell yourself you did an awesome job then - you can do it again!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2016, 11:08:32 AM »
Oh and there is this:

Great point! This is SO true. I'm trying to form this new habit.

I 100% agree.  The hardest part is breaking the habit.  It has been one of the hardest things for me.  I did pretty good in January, some small purchases, but it was a success and going strong into February.  I do have to remind myself and catch myself when I get into the shopping mode, but so far so good.

I am also breaking the habit with eating too.  It is more of a habit than anything else. I will eat when I am hungry and not just because it is time. LOL

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2016, 11:38:03 AM »
Oh and there is this:

We'll make a great team! I too need the reminders and accountability and inspiration. While I haven't been good w money in the past at all, you have already had really GREAT success with saving and buying a house and car. Well done girl!! Look back and tell yourself you did an awesome job then - you can do it again!

Oh thank you! Yes! To accountability, support, and positive thinking! I have felt so ashamed for slipping. I think that's what it was. I didn't want to admit that I had slipped up (badly). And now just making this decision, to really move forward, I'm feeling good. I'm feeling like I'm in control and I can do it again! And I think I'm going cold turkey on the shopping. At least one month at a time I am. I will re-evaluate at the end of every month if there is something I need (versus want) or if there is something I want badly, will it make me happy in the long run versus just at the moment of acquisition. That is a new way of thinking for me. If something, say a new cosmetic item, made me excited, then why not buy it? But those feelings don't last. They are very fleeting. I will do well to remember that and think about it before making any purchases. As well as just staying away from the stores!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »
Okay, I've been quietly reading this thread for a few weeks, hoping the answer would present itself. But, what do you guys mean when you say "shopping"? Clearly it's not adding TP to your list when you load the last roll on the holder and then getting it when you go to the store for milk and produce later in the week. Is it? I don't think that sort of shopping can be given up, not in practical terms.

But "shopping" still seems to mean something different to different people who post here. So what are we all talking about?

Like today: there are plenty of coupons in my wallet that could get me stuff from the drugstore that are on sale even cheaper. Cleaning supplies, showergel, toiletpaper. Now... I have enough toothpaste and shampoo to last all year and no more space to store toiletpaper. So obviously it is not NECESSARY for me to go and get those things.

Of course if I run out of something, I  buy it. Like food or underwear or replacing a pair of shoes or a new basic t shirt.

I think everyone has their own personal limit of what's "done and needs replacement" and what can still be "good for another season".
I want to ask myself this year even more, do I really need this or is it just a want?

I think I am going to be a cheerleader. It's a great idea, and I guess it doesn't matter what kind of shopping a person struggles with. Ours is eating out, which we do nearly once a week, so I guess that's how I'll play along.

However , husband will be eating out on Tuesday - we carpool to work/school, and I have to stay for an administrative "retreat" which will last until 8 or 9 pm. I'll be fed there, but he's a student and not invited to the retreat. :) I can't see asking him to eat a cold supper or to wait until 10:00 when we get home to eat (we'll get there at 8 am, so we do pack lunch and a snack every day). It would cost us more to drive two cars than to feed him, though.

OK, checking in to report failure. I had forgotten how badly sleep deprivation affects me, and I don't remember most of Wednesday. If you recall from previous updates ,Tuesday night I had to stay for a retreat at work and it lasted until 8:30. It takes us roughly an hour to drive home, then I have to get up before 5 AM to get him awake and get back in by 8 AM.  All of this means that 8 PM is my absolute bedtime, and it was nearly 1030 by the time we got done, got home, dealt with the dogs, and unwound just a little bit. Plus then I woke just after 3 am following a nightmare in which most of the college administration had followed me home and were harassing our dogs (guess I really didn't want to work that late, did I?)

So anyway, like I said, got nothing done Wednesday ,and frankly I don't remember most of it. I don't think I said anything absolutely unforgivable to anyone; if I did, they are taking pity and not reminding me of it. But I was in no shape to safely operate a stove or any other machinery Wednesday night, and husband had a bunch of homework to do. So we got a pizza at Little Caesars and took it home for supper. On the bright side,  one five dollar pizza feeds us both.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2016, 11:46:21 AM »

OK, checking in to report failure. I had forgotten how badly sleep deprivation affects me, and I don't remember most of Wednesday. If you recall from previous updates ,Tuesday night I had to stay for a retreat at work and it lasted until 8:30. It takes us roughly an hour to drive home, then I have to get up before 5 AM to get him awake and get back in by 8 AM.  All of this means that 8 PM is my absolute bedtime, and it was nearly 1030 by the time we got done, got home, dealt with the dogs, and unwound just a little bit. Plus then I woke just after 3 am following a nightmare in which most of the college administration had followed me home and were harassing our dogs (guess I really didn't want to work that late, did I?)

So anyway, like I said, got nothing done Wednesday ,and frankly I don't remember most of it. I don't think I said anything absolutely unforgivable to anyone; if I did, they are taking pity and not reminding me of it. But I was in no shape to safely operate a stove or any other machinery Wednesday night, and husband had a bunch of homework to do. So we got a pizza at Little Caesars and took it home for supper. On the bright side,  one five dollar pizza feeds us both.

I would say the fact that you only spent $5 is great. That's practically the same as if you made it with ingredients yourself. Not that it's an excuse to ignore the spending, but you could have gone with a $15 pizza.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »

I would say the fact that you only spent $5 is great. That's practically the same as if you made it with ingredients yourself. Not that it's an excuse to ignore the spending, but you could have gone with a $15 pizza.

Thank, but actually Little Caesars is the only game in the nearest town, so I don't think I could have. :)

Anyway, some of my home cooked meals cost that much, though they do tend to produce leftovers.  Regardless, if that's the worst thing I ever do, I'm doing OK.

Going to try for no nights eating out this next week, and I'm going to leave work by 5 PM every damn day.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2016, 12:19:07 PM »
No shopping for this month for me! I've been spending a lot of time plotting my sewing schedule out with library sewing books (gonna work through that stash instead of buying any clothing!) This weekend is a clothing swap with a very smartly dressed group of ladies that I'm going to go crazy at and get a bunch of "new to me" things (and get rid of a few pieces that don't fit/just aren't to my liking anymore.)

Spent $56 on eating out/bars, which isn't bad for me (ranges between $15-75), but I'll likely do a no-spend month soon. Not February, though, as I'm traveling for 1/4 of the month for work and will definitely be spending some $$ at the airport/on drinks with colleagues.

Biggest non-necessary (groceries, rent, utilities, CSA share) expense this month was $378 on plane tickets, but that's getting reimbursed. Next most expensive was $39 on fitness membership.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 12:20:41 PM by monstermonster »

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2016, 01:32:28 PM »

I have to agree with prodigaldaughter that 5$ for a diner for 2 is actually not a fail. It's a decision you made and it was in everyone's interest. :)
so don't beat yourself up about it! If you can make it through this week without: awesome! If you end up getting pizza once - that's pretty good too.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2016, 01:46:58 PM »
actually: I also slipped up today!
A colleague shared a pretty good deal from amazon - a salad spinner for 10$ which is usually $40.
My excuse is: I need to eat more vegetables and salads... weak, right?!

Well... at least I scored it for nothing more than 10 bucks. Shipping is free since the said colleague ordered it with his Amazon prime account.

Otherwise January has been o.k.:
- I spent a lot of money on food ($450) but that has been also a lot of stocking up.
- Same with body care and cleaning ($185), but I have shampoo, toothpaste, lady shavers and tampons for the rest of the year. Soap will last 2 years I guess. LOL

On the upside:
+ I didn't do any shoe or clothing shopping.
+ I cut my Starbucks habit waaaaay down (from 80$ a month to about $30)
+ $45 in cashback, $60 in reward points, $90 swagbucks in giftcards

February will be a lot better since I wont be home for 11 days. :)
Vacation in Mexico means less food needed, less grocery shopping and an extra vacation budget that doesn't cut into my at home budget.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2016, 12:21:52 PM »
Ok, new month, so I am DONE WITH CLOTHES AND HOME FURNISHING BUYING FOR THE YEAR! Writing it here for accountability. I am allowing myself to buy one or two $8 throw blankets if I find ones I like so that I can return the throw I bought at anthropologie, and I may also buy an airplant later in the year. But that's all that's needed. Should be fully good on clothes and have some allocated for re-sale, thred up, swaps, etc. Need to start wearing my new outfits with an eye to pruning anything that isn't working.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2016, 10:25:45 AM »
Alright, Norabird, we'll keep you accountable. :)

I slipped a bit when a limited edition item from a makeup brand I love came back into permanent rotation. I had never owned this item but had always kind of wanted it. I was going to use a Nordstrom note to get $20 off but it sold out right away. Then I found it on Bloomingdales site and for some reason it was priced lower on their site so I immediately caved. That old feeling of finding a good deal, I guess. On the positive side, I almost ordered two shades because of the (only slightly) lower price, but then I did a reality check and just went for the single, more unique to me, item.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2016, 09:54:33 AM »
Welp I have a confession, already, three days later. Spent $3.75 yesterday to buy a pair of fancy ked-like sneakers with a nice black tribal-ish pattern. Because reasons? Because lack of willpower? I don't know! It will be good to review my summer shoe inventory in a few months and really excavate the buried shoe rack in my closet. Not sure it's all being used. I do sometimes feel the need for these type of comfortable but not ugly daily wear shoes, so I guess I am forgiving myself, but if I keep coming back here with these buys I will need to really reconsider!

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2016, 01:01:45 PM »
Norabird - Those sound really cute and right up my alley...and a good price! Sometimes I find it easier to clear out my summer shoes in winter because I'm not wearing them and I'm not as tempted to say "well maybe I'll get one more use out of them before fall".

So this is your one cute new inexpensive pair for this summer and you just don't need to look for anymore. You're ready for summer, and maybe you can stay out of the stores!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2016, 01:10:22 PM »
Eating out fail: McDonald's Thursday night as I got a call my mother was on the way to the Er with chest pains and leaving for home on time would have meant being out of cell phone range (she's fine, it was gastrointestinal rather than cardiac).

Then hamburgers Saturday night on the three-hour drive to visit her to confirm the above okayness for myself.

Not sorry, as these fall into the "what money is for" category.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2016, 08:51:09 AM »
Good god I bought something else. It was a 43% rabbit hair fuzzy cozy awesome cardigan for $15! But it sheds. So, I may try to re-sell it at a vintage store because I have some other stuff I want to see if they will bite on.

I just shouldn't let myself go in stores! Last year I hardly browsed but I*could* browse and walk away. Oofda.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2016, 02:24:02 PM »
Norabird - come up with a plan to keep yourself occupied and out of stores for the next three weeks. Get back on track.

My plan? Unlink all of my CCs with all of my favorite online stores so that I can't just click and buy, I'd have to go dig up my credit card for the number.

Also - freeze my CCs in a bowl of ice. :-)

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2016, 10:43:20 AM »
Just found myself lusting over a makeup product. Need a facepunch. Didn't purchase it. In fact, I cleaned everything out of my wishlists on three shopping sites. Those often functioned as shopping lists and I would buy from them as I wanted or as I got a "deal". If it's not on my list, then I'll probably forget about it.

Victory for the day.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »
Way to go PD!

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
Talked myself out of a purchase today. Or rather, the launch of an anticipated product and the resulting web traffic talked me out of a purchase today. It was sold out in like 5 minutes but I'm feeling rather zen about it. $38 saved.

Also - challenge to myself this weekend. Put down the tech, pick up a book, and possibly take up knitting again.

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2016, 11:29:52 PM »
Well boo, I lasted only until now. Found a $25 rainproof jacket repping my hometown and let the husband convince me I needed it for our Ireland trip next month. On the plus side, have not bought any maternity wear yet. Instead, I've been using hairties to keep my jeans together, haha :)

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2016, 10:42:40 AM »
Better late than never...
 I have been steadily reducing my spending for the past three months.  But I have bought a few things.  So starting now I am going to swear off shopping for all but necessities and a few gifts (the MIL will not understand if we don't send her something for xmas, Mother's Day, etc.), but we will keep gifts to a minimum.

I can't swear off eating out because the DH isn't on board with that.  But I can make significant improvements by curbing my other brainless spending. 

Exclusions from non shopping rule: might need to buy some proper hiking boots as I have none and we want to start being more active, Food, basic hygiene stuff (skipping the fancy pants extra creams and makeup that I don't need and already have a ton of in my medicine cabinet - bet I could go a year before using up my stash), replacement tools if something breaks.

Any savings will go straight to debt payoff! I get more satisfaction from that than any brainless shopping.

LateToTheParty

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »
Hoping I can join in too. I discovered MMM in Jan, and I have been obsessively lurking for the past couple of months.   It has been inspirational and pivotal for me. I, too, plan to eliminate discretionary shopping in 2016. I planned to purchase no clothes, and minimal toiletries/makeup. Will use up existing.
This is a swift departure from average clothes spending of $500/mo last year. Good grief. Wish I had discovered this mustacianism lifestyle a decade ago.
My husband, on the other hand, is not quite onbored. I'm working on that little by little.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2016, 03:56:21 PM »
No jewelry for 90 days - Jan - zero, Feb - zero, Mar - $119. - FAIL
Don't feel too bad about it though, since I took it out of my "allowance" so it effected only my personal budget which thankfully had just enough leeway, but not my savings, which would been far, far  worse and totally uncool.
It was on sale, free shipping and it was on my list of "planned purchases" - just not this March. Hasn't arrived yet, but if I don't like it, I could still return it and pretend this never happened:)
So now I have $71 dollars left to spend for the remainder of the month - woop-dee-doo.

Result: no extra money for my savings at EOM.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2016, 08:24:31 AM »
Just checking in. I've been having a great March. At least in terms of shopping. :) Actually, it's been a decent month all around. Last week was a crazy week at work, long hours, lots of events. I did way more dining out than I should have. I have come to realize that time is my scarcest resource and that when I am pressed for time, that's when money starts trying to make up for it - buying dinner, grabbing coffee from a coffee shop instead of making it at home. It didn't help that DST hit that same week. I am horrible at waking up in the morning unless there is sunshine. Winter is hard on me, but just as things are getting better, we're plunged back into darkness in the morning! Argh! So anyway, it was a spendy week but I'm back on track now.

Onward and upward is my motto!

Ellabean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2016, 08:24:53 AM »
Can I join this super-late? I cut myself off from cosmetics in Jan and am only replacing the ones I actually use up. I also quit buying clothes. What helped was going to clothing swaps and getting a coworker's clothes (she lost weight and she has fabulous taste). I also unsubscribed from all the "flash sale" emails and stopped following makeup/beauty/clothing blogs.

I'm still about 15 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight, which means that I have a whole new wardrobe waiting for me as I lose weight (a different challenge).

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2016, 09:42:56 AM »
Can I join this super-late? I cut myself off from cosmetics in Jan and am only replacing the ones I actually use up. I also quit buying clothes. What helped was going to clothing swaps and getting a coworker's clothes (she lost weight and she has fabulous taste). I also unsubscribed from all the "flash sale" emails and stopped following makeup/beauty/clothing blogs.

I'm still about 15 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight, which means that I have a whole new wardrobe waiting for me as I lose weight (a different challenge).

Of course you can join! Welcome!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2016, 11:03:27 AM »
Well, I will say that so far, I am having the best year ever.  I wasn't necessarily giving up shopping but put myself on a very limited budget for makeup and skincare.  No purchases as of yet, although, I am having a little bit of a battle with myself right now.  I am winning out so far

I have had some purchases in other categories but nothing outrageous. But, I do feel I need to pull it back some because it doesn't take long before I fall head first into my old habits.  I will need some new clothes and shoes soon but I will try and keep that limited as well. 

So, I will say so far, so good. It is getting a bit tough though, spring must be in the air, lol, but I am going to try and keep it a very low buy year.   By not shopping as much, I can really see where my triggers are, the trick is, just catching them in time before pressing submit.

Keep up the good work.

Ellabean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2016, 11:26:20 AM »
Thanks! I'm excited to be a part of the challenge!

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2016, 06:44:10 AM »
Went to shops yesterday to buy socks, this was OK as I do need socks and they were having a 40% off sale and I paid for most of it with a gift card.

Was tempted by the beauty section but resisted, I don't actually need anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellabean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2016, 07:23:27 AM »
I bought mascara last night-- but I was about to run out. I added some lavender oil to the old tube last night, and this morning it was usable again! Hopefully, it won't end up under my eyes.

I have unsubscribed from almost all the beauty/clothing lists I'm on-- still need to kick out the last baby one.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2016, 07:33:36 AM »
Well, I was doing so good but fell off the wagon.  Sales and deals got me and the urge to splurge. So, climbing back on board.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2016, 02:58:53 PM »
Still going well with no shopping. Just 9 more months to go. Things I'm worrying about in the next 9 months:
  • Wanting to get a new body for my camera in July - looks like my body might be on the way out- it's acting odd and shutting down. I need to reassess what to do here as I'd rather not spend any $$ but I have some creative goals the require the DSLR. Maybe I can sell my old lenses enough it will come out net-zero.
  • My planned costume for an event in June will necessitate some fabric purchases. This is in the budget and I consider it in the spirit of not shopping as long as I sew the costume and I don't get things I don't need.
  • I may need new shoes or at least will need to buy shoe repair. I now have no work shoes without a broken/worn down heel. I hate buying shoes. I also hate taking them to the shoe repair guy and having him give me judgmental looks about how much I beat the crap out of my shoes.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »
I'd like to join the no-shopping club as well, although I know I'm a bit late to the party. My bad habits are handbags and cookware. I need neither. I did need underwear due to some recent weight loss, but I bought plenty of that over the past couple of weeks, so that should hold me for the rest of the year. (I went a little overboard replacing all of my jeans, but damn, I look good in the new ones!)

I'm going to allow myself a couple of exceptions: new dishcloths and towels for my newly-remodeled kitchen when it's finished in about a month. That should be pretty much all I need this year other than groceries.

Thanks for starting the thread.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2016, 08:06:37 PM »
Went to a concert this weekend and I really wanted that concert tshirt. Even went down to look at them at the souvenir stand for a while.  But just reminded myself how much that overpriced shirt would cost in life energy.  Ultimately, I walked away without anything.  Felt good. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!