Author Topic: Giving Up Caffeine  (Read 16893 times)

DrSweden

• Stubble
Re: Giving Up Caffeine
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2015, 12:32:37 PM »
I cut down to one cup a day which I drank later and later in the day. Today is my first day without any tea or coffee. It has been ok. I have been a little tired but have been able du function on an ok level. I am looking foreward to a good night sleep so my brain can adjust some more. I have plenty of triggers. One time today when our son played with our thermos I had such an craving but it passed.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2015, 03:14:28 PM »
This thread inspired me to cut down on caffeine. 

I was drinking 2 cups of coffee in the morning at home and then one espresso at work.  The reasons I wanted to cut down are:  coffee stains my teeth and I can be fairly anxious so my doctor recommended no more than one cup per day.  So now I am down to one cup in the morning.  We'll see how it goes in the long term for the anxious feelings. 

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2015, 10:16:44 PM »

I have yet to find a good decaffeinated black tea. The ones that use a CO2 process are not bad, but they are never as good as the unprocessed stuff. I need to get some loose leaf decaffeinated tea, but from what I remember last time I tried it, even that is not nearly good as regular loose leaf. Any suggestions?

Yes. I have been caffeine-lite for over 20 years (quit in college due to heart palpitations and tremors that caffeine causes in me). But I love the flavor of a cup of black tea in the morning. I've tried dozens of decafs and the hands-down best is Yorkshire decaf by Taylor's of Harrogate. I get mine on Amazon and have a cup every morning. Only let it brew for 4 minutes -after that it gets bitter.

You can get decaf loose-leaf from them as well, and I also like Murchie's (Canadian brand available online in the states) but I have yet to find a decaf jasmine tea. If I could find one my beverage life would be complete.

I also recommend Tazo decaf Chai -best decaf chai I've ever had.

As far as being caffeine free goes - it's awesome to not be an addict. And when I travel in a group, I'm the only one who is functional first thing in the morning. And I am not a morning person! But the best is telling people I don't drink caffeine - and watching their minds explode. I suspect it's the same feeling of freedom people who are FI must have....
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:20:24 PM by Urchina »

NataliaDuma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »
Caffeine does have its benefits but it also has its disadvantages as well, especially when taken at such huge amounts.

I used to drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day, and although I didn't necessarily quit, I've cut that up and did my best to stick to at least a cup per day just to keep me going.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2015, 12:56:34 PM »
Day two without caffeine is about to end. I don't have a headache anymore but I have a gotten a cold so it is hart to determine what is withdrawl and what is symptoms from the cold (tiredness). Well first caffeine free workday tomorrow.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2015, 05:29:23 AM »
Caffeine does have its benefits but it also has its disadvantages as well, especially when taken at such huge amounts.

I used to drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day, and although I didn't necessarily quit, I've cut that up and did my best to stick to at least a cup per day just to keep me going.

What would you consider 'huge' amounts? Surely not 3-4 cups? I would ask people to start linking to actual research to support their claims, as this thread is close to descending into pseudo-science. I am very up for being educated, but not by opinions, but facts.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2015, 01:13:33 PM »
Day 5 without caffeine. I have only drunk water and milk today. No craving at all today. It helps that the coffee machine at work makes bad coffee.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »
I gave up caffeine four years ago. I felt better almost immediately(I used to drink a lot of caffeine). Have not had a relapse. Have not missed it.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »
I gave up caffeine four years ago. I felt better almost immediately(I used to drink a lot of caffeine). Have not had a relapse. Have not missed it.

Great job! What do you consider are the best effects of giving it up for so long?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2015, 05:40:26 PM »
I had an extremely stressful year at work, many years ago, and realized one Saturday that as a result my caffeine intake was way too high.  I quit cold turkey, and oh the headache.  It felt like someone had hit the back of my head with a mallet.  I do drink coffee now, but at noon I switch to decaf (same for tea).  I almost never drink soft drinks, so coffee/tea is my caffeine source.

For the tea drinkers - when I took organic chemistry we extracted caffeine (nice white crystals).  We used tea, not coffee.  There is definitely lots of caffeine in tea  ;-)

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2015, 05:45:57 PM »

Great job! What do you consider are the best effects of giving it up for so long?

Number one would be digestive health. It is much improved. Caffeine and other stimulants can wreak havoc on your digestive system if you drink too much. Also found I am not drinking soda anymore, or at least very little soda. So saving on the calories. And the occasional jittery feeling you get from too much caffeine has disappeared.

redfreddie3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2015, 09:40:17 PM »
Officially 10 days caffeine free.  My problem was mainly that my caffeine came with a crap ton of sugar attached with it. Day two I had the worst headache ever and emptied my stomach once but I am feeling better now and hope to continue this caffeine free momentum.  Any advice to when the slight sluggish feeling goes away?

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2015, 12:25:19 AM »
  Any advice to when the slight sluggish feeling goes away?

It'll go away as soon as you start getting enough sleep. Add some regular exercise and you'll feel like you got shot out of a cannon.