Author Topic: Giving Up Caffeine  (Read 16868 times)

amyable

• Bristles
Giving Up Caffeine
« on: December 16, 2012, 07:14:12 PM »
I'm going to quit caffeine tomorrow!  I've been drinking around 3-4 cups of coffee everyday for approximately 10 years, but lately, I've been thinking of quitting.  While I don't think caffeine is necessarily an unhealthy habit, I've come to resent my addiction to it. 

Anyone quit caffeine before, or want to quit now?  I've quit twice before, but I have never been able to make it for more than about a month before giving up. 

I'm going to switch to herbal tea.  I know I'm going to be completely miserable for the next 3-4 days, but I'm ready for it!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
Re: Giving Up Caffeine
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 09:06:56 PM »
I've been caffeine-free for a few years now (I don't even remember when it happened).  I've never been a coffee drinker; it was all from carbonated beverages (soda, pop, whatever you want to call them).  I'd have a can or two of Diet Dr. Pepper or Diet Coke a day.  Well, one time when we ran out, I just didn't have the chance to run to the store to get more.  After suffering the caffeine withdrawal headaches, I decided I might as well just give it up.  Tried going the caffeine-free soda route and decided to just forget about soda altogether.  Now I'm pretty much drinking filtered tap water and not much else (an occasional orange juice).  I'm sure it has saved me a lot of money!

JJ

• Stubble
    • A Philosopher and A Businessman
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 10:43:02 PM »
Oooh yeah.  Cold turkey on caffeine = sensational headaches.  Strap yourself in & good luck!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 11:30:52 PM »
I've been coffee free for a few years also now...but have partly compensated by an increased tea intake. If you go cold turkey and the headaches are too bad, you could consider taking just a small amount of coffee to settle it, then go cold turkey again - rinse, repeat until coffee and headaches are gone.

When I was younger I was well known in my circle  for my coffee addiction, starting from the moment I woke up on an empty stomach "I just can't do anything until I've had that first cup", down to drinking numerous short blacks late at night, with no adverse effects. As I got on, the late night coffee caused unpleasant sleep problems and finally I didn't drink coffee after 2 or 3pm.

I've "given up" several times, and noted I actually felt better and more clearheaded and alert OFF coffee: mainly because I was not "wired up on caffeine". But I always went back, I think because I had this image of myself as a coffee lover/addict, as much as anything.  A few years ago I got serious about my lifelong heartburn and took behaviour modification seriously: doh! maybe strong coffee on an empty stomach first thing in the morning is not good.  Stopped a life long habit and the heartburn is gone.

Now I drink the odd cup of almost free  but very good quality coffee from the coffee club at work (<1/week) and only on special occasions such as lunching out, but I rarely eat out. I really don't miss it, feel 300% better, and manage the odd cup without falling off the wagon.  I do drink several cups of tea a day so I am not totally caffeine free, but my guts and psyche are much better without the coffee.

Good luck and let us know how you are going...

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
I'm going to quit caffeine tomorrow!  I've been drinking around 3-4 cups of coffee everyday for approximately 10 years, but lately, I've been thinking of quitting.  While I don't think caffeine is necessarily an unhealthy habit, I've come to resent my addiction to it. 
Anyone quit caffeine before, or want to quit now?  I've quit twice before, but I have never been able to make it for more than about a month before giving up. 
I'm going to switch to herbal tea.  I know I'm going to be completely miserable for the next 3-4 days, but I'm ready for it!
Not only are you going to be miserable, but I'm already feeling sorry for everyone around you...

I used to drink about 24 ounces of coffee a day, minimum, and more if work/duty was going to give me an 18-hour day.  When I ER'd I quit coffee and substituted green tea.  However I still enjoy the smell/taste of coffee, so I drank decaf for a while.  Then I didn't see the point, and it's easier/cheaper to buy Kona beans than Kona decaf, so I went back to coffee.

I can't notice any particular effect of caffeine in the morning, whether or not I get around to a cup of coffee.  If I'm not going to get an afternoon nap, though, I apparently need another cup to stay awake until bedtime.  I can't tell you whether that's caffeine or a placebo effect, however my family is no longer willing to let me experiment.

Now each morning I drink about 24 ounces of green tea followed by about 24 ounces of (full-caffeine) coffee.  I switch among different roasts, but I almost always buy whole beans.  I don't see any negative effect to caffeine in moderation, and perhaps coffee has a bunch of beneficial chemicals.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »
Well crap.  It's day two, and I'm already going to have to start over.  This morning I drank a Coke (which I don't even like) out of the vending machine at work, because surprisingly, I was not only headachy and sleepy but also incredibly nauseous.  I can handle pain, but there is no way I can deal with puking while teaching 6th grade English language learners proper comma usage.

I get out for Christmas next week, so here is my new plan: 

For the rest of this week:  Go down to 1 cup of regular coffee a day--I think I can handle this, because after I drank the Coke this morning, I felt much better.

Next week (no work): Remove coffee and suffer at home.  Christmas isn't a huge deal in my family--we have one very small informal get together, so I should be O.K. even if I'm still in withdrawals. 

I've "given up" several times, and noted I actually felt better and more clearheaded and alert OFF coffee: mainly because I was not "wired up on caffeine". But I always went back, I think because I had this image of myself as a coffee lover/addict, as much as anything.

This!!!

Now each morning I drink about 24 ounces of green tea followed by about 24 ounces of (full-caffeine) coffee.  I switch among different roasts, but I almost always buy whole beans.  I don't see any negative effect to caffeine in moderation, and perhaps coffee has a bunch of beneficial chemicals.

This seems like a sane approach.  I'll probably go back to drinking some coffee eventually, maybe even a cup a day.  I used to drink around a cup a day in college and didn't see any negative effects, but I've slowly increased the amount that I drink over the years.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
I gave it up cold turkey about 2 years ago. 1-2 sodas / day to nothing. The headaches/nausea went away after about 2-3 days. The bigger problem I had was getting my internal clock to work with me rather than against me in the morning. With caffeine, the morning doesn't start until you have your cup. Without, you need to have your body naturally wake up.

The single biggest bit of advice I have is: Don't use the computer (or non e-ink e-reader) right before bed. Backlit screens messed with my internal clock just as much as caffeine did and I could never actually wake up in the morning. By simply reading a physical book or magazine before bed and getting rid of caffeine, my internal clock settled down. I never need to use an alarm and I am rested and awake every morning without caffeine.

melidesau

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »
Don't use the computer (or non e-ink e-reader) right before bed. Backlit screens messed with my internal clock just as much as caffeine did and I could never actually wake up in the morning.

This is apparently caused by the fact that the light emitted from computer screens resembles sunlight and therefore messes with melatonin production. A few weeks ago I installed something called f.lux on my computer which alters the colour of the screen so that the light it produces at night is much more yellow than during the day, like indoor lighting... I find it helps a bit, though it's still a good idea to have a bit of non-electronic downtime right before bed. You can find it here: http://stereopsis.com/flux/

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 02:07:09 PM »
I have given up caffeine for stretches and definitely feel like I benefited from that.  Currently I might have 2 or even 3 doses (coffee or diet coke) in any given day, but I also make sure I go a couple days without anything pretty frequently as well.  Probably averages out to around 1 dose per day overall.

I agree with the weaning idea, it's not fun to quit cold turkey.  Make sure to drink fluids and take advil for the headaches before they arrive, it's easier to prevent them than treat them.

Finally, don't give up!  Who cares if you lapse for a day here or there, make sure you stick with your control over your caffeine intake, there are many great reasons to maintain that control.

iamsoners

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 02:20:29 PM »
I've been off the take for several years and it's fantastic.  I was finding that caffeine severely agitated my motion sickness/ibs/stomach badness.

For me, the key was to break the drowsiness/caffeine/insomnia cycle where I would be really tired at work in the day--drink a coffee or coke which would then prevent me from sleeping and the cycle would get worse.  Christmas is the perfect time to break the cycle--you'll have plenty of time to catch up on sleep. 

Also, don't underestimate the power of exercise in helping to regulate your sleep cycle.  When done right, it will energize you for the day and wear you out at bed time.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 03:07:55 PM »
Funny that you would mention motion sickness, I also find that caffeine worsens that for me, to the point that I will get slightly nauseous simply driving at night if I've had more than a few doses of caffeine during the day.  Thankfully that is really rare now that I realize the problem and have developed the discipline to stop the caffeine doses.  I'll also heavily second the exercise comment, I find my desire for caffeine really goes up when I'm not exercising.

georgex10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 03:23:02 PM »
There's just about every reason to quit caffeine. I'd do it too, but my badassity's a little low yet. *sips coffee

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 11:56:18 PM »
I had quit. But I fell off the wagon. Now after a few months it is time again. I was at the supermarket yesterday and had only had my morgning coffee and it was late in the afternoon. I HAD to buy a cup of coffee. It tasted so bad I could only drink half of with, had to force myself becase I needed the caffeine. Then it hit me as a sudden realisation, what am I doing?

I had already started reducing my caffeine intake last week.
Wed 6
Thur 5
Fri 5
Sat 4
Sun 3
Plan for today is 3 cups.

My experience is that I have to do i slowly. Maybe reduce by one cup every other day. Someone else who wants to join me in this challange?

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 12:44:08 AM »
I quit coffee when just when my second child was born so I know exactly how long it's been since I last had a cup of coffee.  It was 2/28/13, I was on my way to the hospital with my oldest when I had to have some coffee after picking up breakfast.  I had my son on one hand and the breakfast on the other.  After grabbing my coffee I decided to put the thermos in my pocket.  When I got back to the car, I forgot to close the lid of the thermos and my jacket pocket was soaked so was my phone.  My phone survived but the front camera and ear speaker did not.

I felt pretty pathetic that I was so addicted to something that I just gave it up.  I was miserable the first week and the temptation to break the habit was very hard the first two months.  I did some research on breaking the coffee habit and found the book "The Power of Habit" which helped me through the rough patches.  In summary I had to find my triggers and avoid them or substitute them.  Like my morning coffee for work, I needed it start my day.  But what I really needed was to wake up.  So I would exercise before work.  That's when I sold my motorcycle a bought a bike so I could get a 4 mile ride in the mornings I went into work.  I also used to have coffee with cakes and muffins.  So I cut those out, lost about 5-10lbs the first four months because my carb and sugar intake dropped significantly.

I still have tea from time to time, but only because I have to buy something at cafes and it's the cheapest thing they have!  I try to get caffeine free tea or I just dip the tea bag in for a two to three seconds.  I have soda about once a month when I get bored with water.

Quitting has been one of the best decision of my life.  It is an exercise in willpower and I know it is just a temporary craving when I walk by a coffee shop.  I miss the holiday Starbucks drinks as I has been associated with the holiday season, marketing is powerful, but I literally have saved thousands in the past year and half plus all the time I would have spend going out of my way and waiting in line for that stuff.

I'm working on quitting beer but I haven't found the right reason to quit it just yet.  It is too strongly associated with hanging out with friends and having company.  So if I were to avoid my triggers for beer I would have to be a hermit for about 5 months, which is not worth it for me at the moment.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 01:19:42 AM »
I quit coffee when just when my second child was born so I know exactly how long it's been since I last had a cup of coffee.  It was 2/28/13, I was on my way to the hospital with my oldest when I had to have some coffee after picking up breakfast.  I had my son on one hand and the breakfast on the other.  After grabbing my coffee I decided to put the thermos in my pocket.  When I got back to the car, I forgot to close the lid of the thermos and my jacket pocket was soaked so was my phone.  My phone survived but the front camera and ear speaker did not.

I felt pretty pathetic that I was so addicted to something that I just gave it up.  I was miserable the first week and the temptation to break the habit was very hard the first two months.  I did some research on breaking the coffee habit and found the book "The Power of Habit" which helped me through the rough patches.  In summary I had to find my triggers and avoid them or substitute them.  Like my morning coffee for work, I needed it start my day.  But what I really needed was to wake up.  So I would exercise before work.  That's when I sold my motorcycle a bought a bike so I could get a 4 mile ride in the mornings I went into work.  I also used to have coffee with cakes and muffins.  So I cut those out, lost about 5-10lbs the first four months because my carb and sugar intake dropped significantly.

I still have tea from time to time, but only because I have to buy something at cafes and it's the cheapest thing they have!  I try to get caffeine free tea or I just dip the tea bag in for a two to three seconds.  I have soda about once a month when I get bored with water.

Quitting has been one of the best decision of my life.  It is an exercise in willpower and I know it is just a temporary craving when I walk by a coffee shop.  I miss the holiday Starbucks drinks as I has been associated with the holiday season, marketing is powerful, but I literally have saved thousands in the past year and half plus all the time I would have spend going out of my way and waiting in line for that stuff.

I'm working on quitting beer but I haven't found the right reason to quit it just yet.  It is too strongly associated with hanging out with friends and having company.  So if I were to avoid my triggers for beer I would have to be a hermit for about 5 months, which is not worth it for me at the moment.

That is impressive. My triggers for coffee is waking up as a morning ritual. As well when I need to get som Writing done. I have read the Power of habit, might be time for a re-read.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 07:12:36 AM »
I had quit. But I fell off the wagon. Now after a few months it is time again. I was at the supermarket yesterday and had only had my morgning coffee and it was late in the afternoon. I HAD to buy a cup of coffee. It tasted so bad I could only drink half of with, had to force myself becase I needed the caffeine. Then it hit me as a sudden realisation, what am I doing?

I had already started reducing my caffeine intake last week.
Wed 6
Thur 5
Fri 5
Sat 4
Sun 3
Plan for today is 3 cups.

My experience is that I have to do i slowly. Maybe reduce by one cup every other day. Someone else who wants to join me in this challange?

I gave it up a few years ago (have since decided that I really enjoy coffee, and I was being unnecessarily strict with myself as it causes me no harm, and gives me enjoyment, but it sounds like you're in a different place). Anyway, I did it gradually, and didn't suffer headaches. I first replaced my afternoon coffee with decaf, and then each morning one getting earlier and earlier. At one point I was having half a cup of real mixed with half a cup of decaf.

I really enjoy the flavour of coffee, so herbal tea would be no good for me. Decaf was perfectly doable, but taking it slowly (I mean over the course of a month or two) was key.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 12:24:35 PM »
Thankyou for the advide. Slowly is the key. I work as a resident at the hospital and is surrounded with coffee (Swedish coffe that is strong).

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 08:51:27 PM »
I love my coffee and I will never give it up. Studies show conflicting reports every few years - yes it's good - no it isn't.
Yesterday I read a book about your brain and ADD which confirmed that yes, caffeine is good for those of us who have that tendency.
Not that I know what I'm talking about since I grew up before there was such a thing as ADD - but hell, yess I do like my coffee.

Admittedly, I did try once to give it up, because a diet regimen called for herbal tea only. The headaches, the misery - ain't worth it. What it did do though is, I stopped drinking sugar in my coffee and never went back to sugar in my coffee ever.

...and btw - I do like and drink a fair amount of all sorts of herbal tea - some from my garden even. But I need my coffee in the morning. As I get older I need less - used to drink coffee all day long. Now I'm good with coffee in the morning and the occasional cup of coffee in the afternoon.

Really, I see no reason to deprive myself - there are people who do not need coffee - fine. I am not one of them and I'm perfectly good with that.

...and FWIW regular tea has the equivalent of caffeine - because I thought I was clever and would just switch to strong black tea - ha, same thing, different name.

So, if for whatever reason you are determined to drop the coffee habit - I feel for you, because I know you will have withdrawals.

puglogic

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 09:05:40 PM »
I still drink 3 cups of coffee a day, but it's about 1/4 caff to 3/4 decaf.  I get the hot beverage when I wake up, without the jolt. 

I love it, but I don't "need" it any more.  I hate "needing" anything, or having any habits that would cause horrific withdrawal or behavior if I couldn't get it.  So if I can't have caffeine/alcohol/whatever, I don't turn into a raving maniac and I can still have a great day.  Hate that slavery stuff.

Andrew928

• Stubble
  • Life Is Good
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 09:54:55 PM »
I have pretty much one energy drink a day for the last 3 years, they are expensive but they are my guilty pleasure and I am would not be able to make it through this challenge. Good luck to you all

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 10:39:08 PM »
I love it, but I don't "need" it any more.  I hate "needing" anything, or having any habits that would cause horrific withdrawal or behavior if I couldn't get it.  So if I can't have caffeine/alcohol/whatever, I don't turn into a raving maniac and I can still have a great day.  Hate that slavery stuff.

That pretty much sums it up to me.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2015, 01:39:45 AM »
I was drinking 4-5 cups of coffee per day, about 10 years ago.  I quit cold turkey.  It was like having the flu for a week.  I was miserable, headache-y, and felt like puking most of the time.

After that week, I felt better, but for about 6 months afterwards I had a really difficult time getting "in the zone." I was a computer programmer, and caffeine was my method for turning my brain on.  My brain felt fuzzy, I couldn't figure out basic thought problems without a pen & paper, etc.  After that 6 months, I felt normal and was able to concentrate.

I stayed off caffeine for a good solid 7 years or so, and then started drinking green tea.  So far, I've been able to control it (limited to a few cups in the morning, and if I skip a day I don't get any headaches).  If I were to quit coffee again, I wouldn't do it cold turkey; I would switch to something more mild, like tea, and wean myself off of it.

jlance999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 04:30:50 AM »
Alright friends, I'm in, well really I'm 2 days in (the headache is real). Going to college in the spring and I want to kick the addiction before then so I can have more stable energy in class.

tanzee

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 09:33:58 AM »
I've had some luck staving off headaches with time release niacin.  It's likely to cause a brief period of hives (moderately uncomfortable) at some point during the day.  But beyond that it really kills those headaches.

tanzee

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 09:36:32 AM »
I also found that after I quit, I became incredibly sensitive to caffeine.  I quarter cup of decaf would send me into some sort of headachey anxiety spiral.  I hated it. 

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 12:09:11 PM »
I used to have a very bad addiction to caffeine to the point where I would get caffeine headaches as soon as I wake up. Here is what I used to drink:
8am- Quadruple Espresso, used with Starbucks espresso beans or Lavazza espresso
10am- 10 oz. dark roast coffee, black
12:30pm- 10 oz. dark roast coffee, black

Here is what I did to wean off. So worth it. No more headaches and I save money.

Week 1:
 8am- Double Espresso, used with Starbucks espresso beans or Lavazza espresso
 11am- 10 oz. dark roast coffee, black

Week 2-3:
 8 am- 12 oz dark roast coffee, black
 11am- 10 oz. dark roast coffee, black

Week 4-6:
 8 am- 12 oz dark roast coffee, black
 11am- 8 oz. Earl Grey or Darjeeling tea

Week 7-8:
 9 am- 12 oz dark roast coffee, black

Week 9-10:
 9 am- 8 oz dark roast coffee, black

Week 11-12:
 11 am- 10 oz black iced tea

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2015, 03:36:26 AM »
This is hard. I Think I will keep my morgning espresso for now, but replace the other coffee during the day with black tea. It will be hard at first but I will get used to it.

ArcadeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 05:15:33 AM »
I quit caffeine about 8-9 months ago to deal with adrenal fatigue and the effects of that. I was never a fiend but even a serving or two a day would mess up my sleep, give me muscle aches and make me more anxious. Other than an occasional Coke, I stick to decaf and herbal teas. I feel significantly better and sleep much sounder, and therefore don't need the artificial boost of caffeine. Trust me, breaking the cycle is worth it.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 05:44:14 AM »
I belive you! I have been caffeine free for up to 6 months one time Before. My energy levels was much more stable. It was a great feeling to Wake up and not needing anything. It can take several months Before your brain is healed again. I am Writing up my thesis in the spring so if I am to stop the time is now!

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2015, 11:59:56 AM »
Time to log my progress. Today I have had two cups for breakfast. One cup of black tea för "Fika" and now one cup och green tea in the evening. I have been a little tired but overall ok. Tomorrow just an espresso för breakfast. Then I'll go for only green tea next week at work.

pac_NW

• Stubble
  • Have the stamina to work on it until it's right
    • Take Next Steps
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2015, 03:30:01 PM »
3 years ago, I switched to coffee from black tea. Daily headaches ensued and after doing research, I learned some folks can get headaches from caffeine especially at higher mg levels. Over a week ago, I switched back to tea which has lower mg of caffeine per cup than coffee, and I have been headache free, yet still enjoy a comforting, awakening beverage each morning.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2015, 03:57:57 PM »
I gave up coffee before we left for our seven week trip abroad in June.  Not to avoid caffeine but to avoid having to pee within an hour of drinking coffee when we might be out and about touring around nowhere near a bathroom. 

I weaned myself down from 1 large ~14 oz cup in the morning to a half cup, then down to a few ounces all over the course of a week.  Quit after that.  Had a minor headache one day so I took some tylenol. After that, no problem.  Since getting back home to the US, I've had maybe half a cup of coffee per week.  And maybe a cup or two of cola soda during the week. 

But now I don't have to drink coffee to avoid a headache.  I miss the habit of drinking coffee in the morning, and might go back some day.  For now at least I know I can kick the habit if/when I want to.  I can't really tell a huge difference in energy level other than the lack of a coffee buzz right around the time of coffee consumption. 

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2015, 04:44:20 PM »
I always feel a lot better and more rested when I quit caffeine. But then I forget that two months later :)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2015, 12:25:15 PM »
I've quit caffeine before.  I'll usually quit when I realize that caffeine no longer has any effect on me.  So I'll cut it out and after a few months, I'll gradually start applying it strategically again. 

But right now?  It's time to quit.  After a really rough month with a terrible client in July/August, I realized that I was drinking, on average, one energy drink, two cans of dr pepper, and two cans of v8 energy nearly every day!  Cost aside, that's the worst my caffeine habit has ever been, and I was still exhausted most of the time.

I'm weaning myself down at the moment, as a coworker and I have decided on a no caffeine September.  We'll keep track of how many slips, and the loser has to buy the winner lunch.

Thankfully, I don't usually get caffeine headaches.  I do get the congestion, and the exhaustion.  I slept for 11 hours last night... I'm combating by upping my running schedule again.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2015, 02:08:58 PM »
This is all very interesting.

I wasn't a coffee drinker until my first sea tour when I was 25. I remained the most junior qualified deck officer for 12 months, so I stayed on midwatch for 12 months (we don't dog the watches like the Navy, you lucky devils). I actually enjoy the 00-04 watch, but it was so goddamn fucking cold on the bridge all the time. The AC pumped to keep all the electronics cool and dry. I started drinking coffee to stay warm.

Like any addiction, I slowly started using more and more. I've quit a few times, but in the end I go back because I like the taste and the ritual. I've found that a single 8oz serving keeps me below addiction levels, with no headaches if I skip my dose.

One of my jobs has been pushing boots at a certain Northeast Officer Candidate School. All access to caffeine is cut off without warning on day 3 of Indoctrination, among other emotionally traumatic events. Prior enlisted usually knew what was up and could brace. The noobs had no idea. The fallout was astounding to witness.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »
I quite coffee a couple of months ago because it just affects my sleep to much.  Even a single cup in the morning.  I still like my warm beverage in the morning though, so my Japanese friend turned me on to Silver Needle white tea.  Quite low caffeine levels, and a ton of anti-oxidants.  It's expensive if you pay retail, but I found a supplier on Amazon that's literally 1/3rd the price of everyone else.  Even cheaper than enjoyingtea.com, which was the best price I found before that. 

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2015, 06:06:15 PM »
One of my jobs has been pushing boots at a certain Northeast Officer Candidate School. All access to caffeine is cut off without warning on day 3 of Indoctrination, among other emotionally traumatic events. Prior enlisted usually knew what was up and could brace. The noobs had no idea. The fallout was astounding to witness.

Why was caffeine cut out like that? 

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2015, 08:49:35 PM »
Why was caffeine cut out like that? 

To remove outside stimulants, deny comfort objects, and obliterate previous routines. The surprise factor is used for the same reason. Every moment of the Officer Candidate's first days are designed to surprise and astound. Caffeine is just one part.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2015, 11:41:58 PM »
Today is the first day without caffeine. It is only 0740 in the morgning but still a Little headache. I am also feeling rather dull. This the lack of dopamine. Give me some dopamine!! As i remember this feeling usually only lasts a day for me.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2015, 02:20:41 PM »
To remove outside stimulants, deny comfort objects, and obliterate previous routines. The surprise factor is used for the same reason. Every moment of the Officer Candidate's first days are designed to surprise and astound. Caffeine is just one part.

Thanks for the response.  I didn't know OCS was like boot camp for officers.  I googled around and saw it was pretty hard core.  Guess the coffee removal makes sense. 

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2015, 06:49:29 AM »
I was never a coffee drinker but in college starting drinking properly Irish amounts of tea (as opposed to my token one cup a year when I was a kid) and I used to love coke. During my first four or so years of working (call centres) I got into the habit of drinking multiple, probably 6 or 7, cans of diet coke every day during work. As well as tea in the moring and evening at home. And then I had my first migraine. Turns out my migraines were mostly stress-related but can also be caused by caffeine. Although not from the caffeine in chocolate, which I will be forever grateful for! So, no real quantities of caffeine for me for the last 14 years or so. Don't miss coke but really miss tea. I do have decaf tea bags for when I just want a big cup of tea but try to keep that to a minimum and mostly stick to herbal teas (which I always loved anyway). The hardest thing to get used to was actually getting enough sleep. It wasn't until I wasn't able to anymore that I realised how much I had been relying on an afternoon coke or cup of tea to keep me going/awake. Overall, I definitely feel like I'm better off with it, though.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2015, 07:40:04 AM »
Coffee is just one thing I have a hard time giving up. Every time I cut down, I swear it is the last time because I don't want to go through the headaches ever again and soon enough I find myself drinking the same amount of cups.  I do love my warm beverages in the morning and tea doesn't quite do it for me.  Although, I am going to get it down to 2 cups a day.  I had this going for awhile and it felt good, it just didn't last long.  I don't know if I have a need to cut out caffeine completely, but do want to get it down to a reasonable level.  It is tough for sure.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2015, 08:30:02 AM »
I do have decaf tea bags for when I just want a big cup of tea but try to keep that to a minimum and mostly stick to herbal teas (which I always loved anyway).
Can I ask why? Does tea disagree with you or something? It seems silly to deprive yourself of something you enjoy for the sake of it (I mean, it's not costly, or bad for your health). I started 'allowing' myself to enjoy coffee again when I read this: https://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2015/03/are-you-unnecessarily-severe-with-yourself-and-your-habits/

I particularly like the opening quotation: “All severity that does not tend to increase good, or prevent evil, is idle.“
— Samuel Johnson, as quoted in James Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2015, 09:18:28 AM »
I do have decaf tea bags for when I just want a big cup of tea but try to keep that to a minimum and mostly stick to herbal teas (which I always loved anyway).
Can I ask why? Does tea disagree with you or something? It seems silly to deprive yourself of something you enjoy for the sake of it (I mean, it's not costly, or bad for your health). I started 'allowing' myself to enjoy coffee again when I read this: https://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2015/03/are-you-unnecessarily-severe-with-yourself-and-your-habits/

I particularly like the opening quotation: “All severity that does not tend to increase good, or prevent evil, is idle.“
Decaffeinated is not caffeine-free (nearly, but not quite) so it's best not to risk it. I don't like migraines. :)
Also, not wild about what I know (admittedly only a small amount) about the various processes used to decaffeinate things. It depends on the company as well - if I'm in Ireland, it's definitely more of a "loss" to not drink ordinary tea. If I'm here in Germany, not so much.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2015, 01:43:14 PM »
And then I had my first migraine. Turns out my migraines were mostly stress-related but can also be caused by caffeine. Although not from the caffeine in chocolate, which I will be forever grateful for! So, no real quantities of caffeine for me for the last 14 years or so.
Migraines are so weird. I am not a caffeine consumer on any kind of regular basis and hadn't been for 10+ years when I started getting migraines. My doctor suggested using caffeine to make them go away. And it works sometimes. So I have an emergency medicinal Coke sometimes. (I find that the quick burst of sugar helps, too, or I would do tea or coffee or a pill.)

So, caffeine causes your migraines and cure mine? What's up with that, science?? ;-)

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2015, 10:10:55 PM »
I can't remember the last time I've had a caffeinated drink. It's probably been months.

I'm not strictly caffeine free. I eat chocolate and drink hot chocolate sometimes. Swiss Miss hot chocolate notes on the package that it's "99.9% caffeine free" but for a 20 gram pack that's still 20mg of caffeine. And I have caffeinated tea sometimes, but very rarely.

I have yet to find a good decaffeinated black tea. The ones that use a CO2 process are not bad, but they are never as good as the unprocessed stuff. I need to get some loose leaf decaffeinated tea, but from what I remember last time I tried it, even that is not nearly good as regular loose leaf. Any suggestions? I drink herbal tea sometimes, but not much lately. Peppermint is my favorite, and that reminds me I should make tea with the peppermint plant that's thriving in my garden!

If you're ever near Boulder, CO, be sure to stop by the Celestial Seasonings factory for unlimited free samples of all their teas. I think the most I had in one visit was around 15 flavors.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2015, 01:52:34 AM »

Decaffeinated is not caffeine-free (nearly, but not quite) so it's best not to risk it. I don't like migraines. :)
Also, not wild about what I know (admittedly only a small amount) about the various processes used to decaffeinate things. It depends on the company as well - if I'm in Ireland, it's definitely more of a "loss" to not drink ordinary tea. If I'm here in Germany, not so much.

Ah, makes TOTAL sense if it makes you feel ill. I will look into the decaffeination process more, you've intrigued me.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2015, 02:45:45 AM »
I have yet to find a good decaffeinated black tea. The ones that use a CO2 process are not bad, but they are never as good as the unprocessed stuff. I need to get some loose leaf decaffeinated tea, but from what I remember last time I tried it, even that is not nearly good as regular loose leaf. Any suggestions?
I can't help with that - I stick to good old Barrys most of the time. Stock up on a box every year or so when I'm back in Ireland. Black tea in Germany tends to be mostly pretty terrible unless you want to go for the delicate single variety types (Earl Grey etc.) - I prefer the more robust Irish blends. :)

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Years Until FIRE Calculator
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2015, 03:09:47 AM »
Wow, congrats to everyone who can quit caffeine! I couldn't do it, I just love drinking coffee :)

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2015, 06:33:14 AM »
Yesterday two cups for well, no praticular reason. Today one cup in the morgning and green tea for the rest. Since I am still cutting down on caffeine I will have one cup tomorrow. If I do it to fast I can't really Think and that is bad with my work. I am on call on saturday working 24 hours and might need some then as well. But after that I will be able to eliminate all caffeine

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!