Author Topic: Giving notice?  (Read 2857 times)

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
Giving notice?
« on: December 16, 2015, 06:32:11 PM »
I am 2-3 yrs away from FiR.  I was thinking of giving notice in 2017. Now I am thinking that next year I will just ask for a package.  If not, I will keep working. My feeling is that they won't want me hanging around and may just give me a package.   
I am productive and am in high regard in the company.

Bad move?.

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
Re: Giving notice?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 07:14:42 PM »
I guess i do not follow what the company will gain by giving you a package. You will be leaving and you will tell them that, right? If you don't do a good job, they'll just let you go because you plan on leaving soon anyway.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 07:51:49 PM »
I will leave if a package.  Otherwise I am happy to work on..

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 08:28:14 PM »
Does the company have a reason to offer a package (by which I assume you mean early retirement) at this time? Are others getting them? Otherwise, why would they offer you one?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 10:19:02 PM »

Basically telling them you'd like to quit, but want them to pay you money/benefits to do so? But if not, you'll keep working and let's just forget you brought up the idea of you wanting to leave? Yeah, that won't go over at all.

They may take your offer as an ultimatum and let you go without a package or anything. Rather, it sounds like they'd consider you disloyal or start looking at whether they can replace you easily since you've indicated that you want to leave, and might do so at a time inconvenient to them, and will therefore be better served to find your replacement and kick you out then. No matter how much you think you are a valued employee, they will drop you like a rock the instant they feel it is better for them to replace you or get rid of you completely.

So you mostly may be shooting yourself in the foot doing this.

Honestly, it sounds pretty presumptuous and there is absolutely no reason they'd give you a package at all unless they are actively laying people off and you volunteer to take their place, and even then there's no guarantees that they'd offer you anything other than the door.

Wait to make this offer until you really are ready to leave. Then you get a package, or not, but in any case you can take your leave without worries.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »
You'd basically tell them you don't want to be there, and then expect them to pay you to leave?

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 11:57:27 AM »
I am productive and am in high regard in the company.

As an alternative, if your company values your services consider asking for an increase in your compensation.  You will avoid committing yourself to any course of action by making this request, assuming you don't threaten to leave if the raise is declined.