Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 307819 times)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #300 on: May 25, 2019, 10:13:48 AM »
I've been cutting down on the booze.  I used to drink 1-2 glasses of wine around 5 days a week.  Wine is really cheap here in Italy so this was a cheap habit.  Also, people tend to drink wine with meals here.  But after drinking a bit too much 2 Fridays ago and feeling crap the next day, I decided to cut down.  So far I had one glass of wine with dinner last week and one beer last night with pizza.  I've found that other things can de-stress me after work - even a non-alcoholic beverage can mark the transition from work to home when I get home after a long day.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 03:12:52 PM by Hula Hoop »

pudding

• Bristles
« Reply #301 on: May 25, 2019, 10:57:06 AM »
Just over 5 weeks and no booze.

I have to say it feels very nice to not be tired and hungover like I was before.

After the first 3 or 4 nights of restless sleep after stopping my 2 to 4 drinks each and every night for 11 years, after those rough first few nights my sleep patterns returned to normal and now I seem to have a better quality sleep.

Whereas before I would wake up and be yawning and still tired and wanting to sleep in, now I wake when my alarm goes off and getting up and staying awake seems much easier. 

I've also noticed that my body seems to not ache as much, not sure why except that maybe the booze caused inflammation?

I've dropped about 8 pounds in fat and my 'round' face is, well not quite as round and 2 people commented on how my face looks thinner.

The buzz from drinking had become like this weird thing all of it's own, like I had become it's 'bitch' ... So glad to be on the bright side of that one!

Best of luck out there!  Crush it!!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #302 on: May 25, 2019, 03:15:58 PM »
I gave up booze (apart from a quarter glass of wine a few times) during pregnancy and I noticed that I lost weight (apart from my belly) rapidly.  At the time, I wondered if it was to do with cutting out the empty calories from alcohol.  I have a relatively healthy diet and wine/beer are pretty much my only real indulgence.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #303 on: May 30, 2019, 10:37:45 AM »
Barring one (1!) beach trip early on in the month, I'm planning on a booze-free June that will hopefully translate into a little more moderation afterward.  I don't (think?) I drink a wild amount (maybe 1-2 beers/cocktails every other day) but frankly that shit adds up to $$$, it's not doing my waistline any favors, and while I truly enjoy cracking open an ice cold beer after a hard day's work and productivity, I also truly dislike the feeling of yearning for that ice cold beer and want to redirect the 'reward' portion of my brain to something less uh, potentially addicting.

Trying to also decide if I'm gonna make the push to cut out La Croix (flavored seltzer water, HORRIBLY addicting also) in the same go, but that might be a bridge too far because it's my current favorite substitute for beer.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #304 on: May 30, 2019, 11:22:29 AM »
Fish Sweet
There are much cheaper brands of sparkling water than LaCriox, I get the store brand for 25-30 cents a can, you can affort that  compared to a minimum 2$ craft beer.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #305 on: May 30, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »
We don't get la Croix here but a splash of grapefruit juice in soda water is a nice substitute for the bite of an IPA.

The 585

« Reply #306 on: May 30, 2019, 06:19:53 PM »
Count me in! I've been drinking significantly less beer lately and it feels great. The only alcohol I want to routinely consume will be in kombucha form (<1% ABV).

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #307 on: May 30, 2019, 07:31:50 PM »
My first reduction in alcohol consumption came when I found out that sulphites really don't sit well with my digestive tract.  So I had to cut out a bunch of alcohol I previously enjoyed.

Pretty sure I contracted Hep A in Thailand last November and I quit drinking two weeks ago after bruising my liver and noticing how slowly it was healing.  I feel a lot better, less fatigued and my skin looks better.  I do enjoy a beer after work though, despite the risk of habit forming with a routine like that.

El_Viajero

• Stubble
« Reply #308 on: June 09, 2019, 04:34:59 PM »
I'm joining in. I actually quit recently (third time trying). It's been about 20 days now since my last drink. The first time I quit, I made it two whole years, but I'd become what substance abuse professionals call a "dry drunk." You can look it up. Basically, I was sober but very unhappy.

Something that I don't see coming up enough on this thread is that fact that alcohol is a known carcinogen. Don't take my word for it:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/general-info/known-and-probable-human-carcinogens.html

Whenever you read that alcohol "increases the risk of some cancers" or similar, remember that what you're reading is this: "deliberate consumption of a known carcinogen causes cancer in those who consume it." People really REALLY hate hearing this message because they really REALLY like drinking craft beer and all that.

People who drink regularly also seem to love the one (or however few) stud(y/ies) that suggest(s) a very small glass of red wine may possibly have some potential to help you avoid heart disease. They tend to hate and totally ignore all of the other studies (and there are tons) linking alcohol to all sorts of terrible maladies.

Anyway, that's a digression. Alcohol is obviously poison. We can all have a perfectly happy life without it. Just know that giving up drinking is one of the most radical personal decisions you can make. The social pressure to do otherwise can be intense. I live in a liberal college town. Around here, being a vegan is more common than not drinking.

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #309 on: June 12, 2019, 07:53:48 AM »
I'm joining in. I actually quit recently (third time trying). It's been about 20 days now since my last drink. The first time I quit, I made it two whole years, but I'd become what substance abuse professionals call a "dry drunk." You can look it up. Basically, I was sober but very unhappy.

Something that I don't see coming up enough on this thread is that fact that alcohol is a known carcinogen. Don't take my word for it:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/general-info/known-and-probable-human-carcinogens.html

Whenever you read that alcohol "increases the risk of some cancers" or similar, remember that what you're reading is this: "deliberate consumption of a known carcinogen causes cancer in those who consume it." People really REALLY hate hearing this message because they really REALLY like drinking craft beer and all that.

People who drink regularly also seem to love the one (or however few) stud(y/ies) that suggest(s) a very small glass of red wine may possibly have some potential to help you avoid heart disease. They tend to hate and totally ignore all of the other studies (and there are tons) linking alcohol to all sorts of terrible maladies.

Anyway, that's a digression. Alcohol is obviously poison. We can all have a perfectly happy life without it. Just know that giving up drinking is one of the most radical personal decisions you can make. The social pressure to do otherwise can be intense. I live in a liberal college town. Around here, being a vegan is more common than not drinking.

i am on day 2 of the annie grace 30 day challenge.  so that means last night was the first night in years that i didn't have a drink.

what i noticed:
1.  i felt incredibly hungry
2. i drank 3 LaCroixs
3. i remembered the plot of the TV show my wife and i watched for the first time in forever
4. i slept "ok" but mostly interrupted due to a toddler coming into the bed
5. i got out of bed much easier in the am
6. it wasn't as hard as i thought

Are any of these findings strange or similar to what you all see?

does it get harder on the weekends?  after 3 or 4 days?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #310 on: June 12, 2019, 08:15:32 AM »

i am on day 2 of the annie grace 30 day challenge.  so that means last night was the first night in years that i didn't have a drink.

what i noticed:
2. i drank 3 LaCroixs
3. i remembered the plot of the TV show my wife and i watched for the first time in forever

Everyone's slightly different.  I suspect that a lot of what people experience depends on their dependency (both psychological and physical), amount and frequency that they were drinking, and their particular triggers.   I had a psychological dependency, but no physical one.  I found the idea of quitting very stressful, but the actual process hard for only about 7-10 days, and still easier than I expected.  I had very strong, but brief, cravings as a result of my primary trigger for the first week, and then they diminished rapidly.  I still am triggered occasionally by some of my secondary, stochastic triggers, but it's been mostly mild. I'm waiting to see if I get really strong ones at some point out of the blue, when I am not expecting them.

1.  my appetite improved slightly after a couple weeks. not sure it's related
2. yes, substitutes were helpful in the first couple weeks.  I also suffered cravings partly due to low blood sugar at cocktail hour, so made sure to pre-plan and eat appropriately.
3. n/a for me.  I don't think drinking has ever caused me to forget anything I've done, watched, said, or heard in general (maybe very specific details of something in a conversation or movie I was watching).  However, I don't split viewing of movies over two nights so much any more...I have more energy to watch the entire thing.
4.  I had a lot of trouble sleeping until about 2 weeks in, but I suffered insomnia long before I became a regular drinker. And sleep is pretty good now.
5. No difference for me in terms of energy, except at bedtime. But my baseline mood improved a lot, starting 2 weeks in, and this was noticeable in the morning.
6.  I agree. I wish I'd realized that earlier in life!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:18:00 AM by wenchsenior »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: June 12, 2019, 04:44:01 PM »
Slackmax checking in.   

I want to know if anyone else has the 'sensory enhancement' I get, from about 2  beers (or more).  After a beer or 2, I hear instruments on the stereo that I didn't even notice, when straight. And I see things on the horizon and in the sunset, etc,  that I ignored when straight.     

As for quitting, or limiting, well, we'll see. lol. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #312 on: June 12, 2019, 05:33:54 PM »

what i noticed:
2. i drank 3 LaCroixs

1- yeah your body is used to a supply of easy sugars from the alcohol
2- substitute drinks help!
4- It took me about 2 months to fall asleep naturally but it was less than a week before I stopped waking up at 2am to have a freakout - best part about not drinking for me
5- out of bed much easier because I am going to bed much earlier now that there is nothing [read booze-sugar] fueling awakeness past my natural bedtime. Suddenly I was sleeping 9.30pm - 5.30 am and it feels great.

Whether it gets harder depends. It sounds like you don't have a dependency so I would expect it tpo be easy at 1 or 2 days. It's only been a minor break at this point. It might get harder when you are in situations where you normally drink. I have found that I don't have a problem with hanging out with people who are drinking but an hour is now my limit for tolerating bars - at that point people are getting a buzz on, the noise-level is rising and it is just not enjoyable for me anymore. This used to be the point where I would have another drink to be able to cope with the people and the noise, and now I just leave.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #313 on: June 12, 2019, 07:23:29 PM »
Slackmax checking in.   

I want to know if anyone else has the 'sensory enhancement' I get, from about 2  beers (or more).  After a beer or 2, I hear instruments on the stereo that I didn't even notice, when straight. And I see things on the horizon and in the sunset, etc,  that I ignored when straight.     

Yes.  My brain tends to be super 'buzzy' and one of the pleasant things about getting a buzz [from alcohol] is that I could focus more easily on one thing without distraction. I'm now trying to take up meditation to help my ability to focus and to hopefully get the same effect, which I do sometimes miss.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:59:05 AM by wenchsenior »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #314 on: June 14, 2019, 05:02:28 AM »
Slackmax checking in.   

Yes.  My brain tends to be super 'buzzy' and one of the pleasant things about getting a buzz is that I could focus more easily on one thing without distraction. I'm now trying to take up meditation to help my ability to focus and to hopefully get the same effect, which I do sometimes miss.

I'm down to 3 beers per day and holding. When I quit altogether I get a physically tired feeling in day 2 of being straight.  I quit for 3 days in a row a few months ago, just because I was away from home and busy doing stuff. That time I didn't get tired, for some reason. Probably all the external stimuli.   

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #315 on: June 14, 2019, 08:06:44 AM »
I was amazed to find that draggy feeling took about 2 weeks of not drinking to start to go away, even on 1-2 drinks per day. Apparently the effects of alcohol take at least 1 week to process out of one's system.  I had no idea it took that long.

El_Viajero

• Stubble
« Reply #316 on: June 14, 2019, 11:56:42 AM »

what i noticed:
2. i drank 3 LaCroixs

You will sleep better and it will be easier to get out of bed in the morning. That's for sure. Not EASY, mind you, but certainly less difficult. I still drink coffee first thing in the morning, so there's that.

Drinking the fizzy water can be a good beer substitute if you're not so addicted as to be physically dependent. It gives you the sensation of cracking something open, feeling the carbonation, and drinking it. You might not actually be thirsty, but you're subconsciously craving that experience. Extra water won't hurt you.

Re: tv show. Yeah, if you're in the habit of forgetting the plot of TV shows, it's a good thing you're putting down the booze. It's not as serious an issue as, say... missing dinner every night b/c you were out drinking and then coming home and breaking shit, but it's a sign that things aren't right. It's nice to remember stuff, yeah?

Weekends might be hard if you're only used to spending your time drinking. Find things to do that don't involve alcohol or that would be impossible to do well if you were drinking: riding bikes, rock climbing, playing any sport, doing projects around the house, taking your toddler to a playground or to a pool, etc. Otherwise, you'll probably drink.

If your standard social activity is sitting around with friends and drinking, it will be hard to be in that environment and not drink. The thing to remember is that nobody else really cares whether you're drinking gin or water. People are mainly focused on themselves, sadly. You'll probably find that you're still fun, witty, capable of enjoying yourself, etc. with or without booze.

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #317 on: June 17, 2019, 09:32:29 AM »

what i noticed:
2. i drank 3 LaCroixs

On day 7.  So far, so good.  This weekend was tough - I am the cook and usually cooking is accompanied by several glasses of strong beer.  My wife's bday was Saturday and Father's Day was Sunday so i spent a good deal of time craving something while i was prepping.  Also, when we sat down both nights, we had some pretty fancy meals (Salmon Wellington and steak) that would have gone great with a glass of wine.

I am sad to say: I really hope i can go back to drinking casually.  We have a very expensive collection of wines in our home and I have no plans to ask my wife not to drink in front of me.  And, i am sorry, but a nice glass of wine just goes so well with a nice steak.

But, so far, sobriety has been a welcome change.  Going to the grocery store and NOT spending $20+ on craft beer has been a nice change.  Going to bed at 9:30 and reading instead of passing out is nice.  Waking early and getting my training has been wonderful.  And having increased clarity at work and at home, allowing me to be present and in the moment, is hard to compete with.

El_Viajero

• Stubble
« Reply #318 on: June 17, 2019, 11:42:47 AM »
But, so far, sobriety has been a welcome change.  Going to the grocery store and NOT spending $20+ on craft beer has been a nice change.  Going to bed at 9:30 and reading instead of passing out is nice.  Waking early and getting my training has been wonderful.  And having increased clarity at work and at home, allowing me to be present and in the moment, is hard to compete with.

And would you be willing to give those things up?

I used to smoke. A hit of nicotine with a cup of coffee sure felt good, but I eventually quit doing it because I knew what it was doing to my body. Nowadays, alcohol consumption is far more socially acceptable than smoking. However, it's still carcinogenic. Alcohol is classified by the WHO as a Group 1 carcinogen. It gives you cancer.

That glass of wine with your steak is probably delicious for the few minutes you're drinking it. Unfortunately, the negative effects of that glass of wine persist for hours – longer if you're a heavy and/or daily drinker.

Trust me, your dinners will still be yummy without the booze.

Since this is the MMM forum, I suppose we can compare this scenario to the rush a consumer sucka gets when they finance that brand new BMW and drive it off the lot. It feels good for a little while, but they pay for that status symbol for years and years.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #319 on: June 17, 2019, 11:45:33 AM »

I used to smoke. A hit of nicotine with a cup of coffee sure felt good, but I eventually quit doing it because I knew what it was doing to my body. Nowadays, alcohol consumption is far more socially acceptable than smoking. However, it's still carcinogenic. Alcohol is classified by the WHO as a Group 1 carcinogen. It gives you cancer.

That glass of wine with your steak is probably delicious for the few minutes you're drinking it. Unfortunately, the negative effects of that glass of wine persist for hours – longer if you're a heavy and/or daily drinker.

Since this is the MMM forum, I suppose we can compare this scenario to the rush a consumer sucka gets when they finance that brand new BMW and drive it off the lot. It feels good for a little while, but they pay for that status symbol for years and years.

If it's OK to mock the people that drink coffee at starbucks, then it's even more appropriate to mock people that drink booze, especially socially - talk about a money sink!  And if you're a daily drinker its even worse.  I know when I quit drinking, it freed up hundreds of dollars in my budget that I could then save/invest.

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #320 on: June 17, 2019, 12:32:05 PM »

sorry, i don't put a glass of Malbec on par with a Marlboro.  this comes from a former pack a day smoker turned sub-3 hour marathoner...

and no, i don't want to give those things up.  i hope there is a middle ground like there used to be and is for many others.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #321 on: June 17, 2019, 12:48:52 PM »

sorry, i don't put a glass of Malbec on par with a Marlboro.  this comes from a former pack a day smoker turned sub-3 hour marathoner...

and no, i don't want to give those things up.  i hope there is a middle ground like there used to be and is for many others.

It's all about the moderation. Will having a glass of wine a few times a week have the same effect as smoking a pack a day? I really doubt it, but I don't know. Will moderate alcohol use one day be viewed like cigarettes are today? I really doubt it, but I don't know.

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #322 on: June 17, 2019, 01:00:46 PM »

If it's OK to mock the people that drink coffee at starbucks, then it's even more appropriate to mock people that drink booze, especially socially - talk about a money sink!  And if you're a daily drinker its even worse.  I know when I quit drinking, it freed up hundreds of dollars in my budget that I could then save/invest.

not even comparable.  it takes 1 minute to make a cup of coffee at home.  much more difficult to brew your own beer or squeeze your own grapes.

i'm only 7 days without a drink but even if i go 7 years, i have no intention to hold my nose as i walk by the pub "mocking" all those people having a cocktail at social hour.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #323 on: June 17, 2019, 01:08:41 PM »

not even comparable.  it takes 1 minute to make a cup of coffee at home.  much more difficult to brew your own beer or squeeze your own grapes.

i'm only 7 days without a drink but even if i go 7 years, i have no intention to hold my nose as i walk by the pub "mocking" all those people having a cocktail at social hour.

My point is that booze is expensive, even more expensive than fancy pants coffee.  And you don’t need booze in order to socialize.  So there’s a financial incentive in addition to the other health benefits.

Of course, people that are addicted, even just moderately addicted, will get angry or defensive at the mere suggestion that maybe giving up booze is beneficial.  I’ve seen plenty of that, first hand.

El_Viajero

• Stubble
« Reply #324 on: June 18, 2019, 08:31:45 AM »

I hear you. My intention isn't to draw a rigid equivalence between cigs and vino. Rather, I'm comparing the two for the sake of pitting instant gratification against undesirable long-term consequences. The fact that both substances are carcinogenic makes the comparison more relevant than, say... comparing a compulsion to drink with a compulsion to veg out in front of the TV.

Also: Through at least the 1980s, there were daily smokers who were also marathon runners. I know that seems insane now given how socially unacceptable smoking has become, but it's worth bearing in mind that one can engage in self-destructive habits and also do "healthy stuff" on the reg... until the former catches up with the latter. Hell, an acquaintance of mine's retired father is currently a hardcore tennis player and a pack-a-day smoker. It's uncommon these days, but not nonexistent.

I also suspect that booze is only slightly less bad for us, on the whole, than smoking. I can't prove it and won't try to, but I'm not convinced that "normal" social drinking is basically benign. How many cigarettes can one comfortably smoke each week and know they probably won't get cancer? 2? 4? How many alcoholic beverages? If there's a comfortable middle ground of moderation for one, there must be for the other, right? Toxicity is all in the dosage, after all.

Look, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I'm posting on this thread because I'm trying to quit drinking, too. It's hard.

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #325 on: June 18, 2019, 08:52:29 AM »

I hear you. My intention isn't to draw a rigid equivalence between cigs and vino. Rather, I'm comparing the two for the sake of pitting instant gratification against undesirable long-term consequences. The fact that both substances are carcinogenic makes the comparison more relevant than, say... comparing a compulsion to drink with a compulsion to veg out in front of the TV.

Also: Through at least the 1980s, there were daily smokers who were also marathon runners. I know that seems insane now given how socially unacceptable smoking has become, but it's worth bearing in mind that one can engage in self-destructive habits and also do "healthy stuff" on the reg... until the former catches up with the latter. Hell, an acquaintance of mine's retired father is currently a hardcore tennis player and a pack-a-day smoker. It's uncommon these days, but not nonexistent.

I also suspect that booze is only slightly less bad for us, on the whole, than smoking. I can't prove it and won't try to, but I'm not convinced that "normal" social drinking is basically benign. How many cigarettes can one comfortably smoke each week and know they probably won't get cancer? 2? 4? How many alcoholic beverages? If there's a comfortable middle ground of moderation for one, there must be for the other, right? Toxicity is all in the dosage, after all.

Look, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I'm posting on this thread because I'm trying to quit drinking, too. It's hard.

no worries.  now i'm worried i have a sparkling water addiction.  i can chug 3-4 of those a night!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #326 on: June 18, 2019, 08:57:49 AM »

In the early days of cycle racing, the cyclists used to drink alcohol WHILE RACING (read about it when reading about the history of doping in cycling). It used to be considered medicinal and performance enhancing!

It's interesting perusing the comments on Annie Grace's website...there is a large percentage of the commenters that are 1) health care professionals (doctors/nurses/etc.); 2) health 'coach' types of some sort (nutritionist/yoga teachers/personal trainers); or 3) people who are hard-core healthy eaters/exercisers in all other areas.  Most are struggling to reconcile the cognitive dissonance of the fact that they have dependency ranging from physical addiction to psychological dependence with what they objectively know about alcohol (drinking is really unhealthy), their ability to somehow compartmentalize this one unhealthy behavior and rationalize it, and the psycho-social training we all receive in a culture that celebrates 'some kinds' (specifics unclear) of drinking as desirable.

I do know that after absorbing decades of "it reduces heart attacks/it helps blood sugar regulation/Mediterranean cultures drink wine with afternoon and evening meals" messages, and being around friends that drank daily or regularly, it was a real shock when my doctor explained that guidelines for safe intake keep being ratcheted down in various western nations as more and more meta analysis is done, and that the data indicate that risks of cancer outweighed all the supposed health benefits.

It's a bummer, much in the way that meta-analysis of diet keeps shifting the needle on nitrate-filled processed meat further and further down the 'not safe' scale.  Which is unfortunate, b/c bacon is delicious.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #327 on: June 20, 2019, 07:26:31 AM »

My point is that booze is expensive, even more expensive than fancy pants coffee.  And you don’t need booze in order to socialize.  So there’s a financial incentive in addition to the other health benefits.

Of course, people that are addicted, even just moderately addicted, will get angry or defensive at the mere suggestion that maybe giving up booze is beneficial.  I’ve seen plenty of that, first hand.

I agree that retail booze at bars is way overpriced. $7 for a pint of Budweiser at some places. Ridiculous. I have been a beer lover for decades, but soon learned when out and about having fun on a hot day and coming across the $7 Bud on tap, to 'just say no'. My frugality is stronger than my craving for beer. Hmmm. Well, if they had a realllly good beer on tap, for $7 a pint, I might get just one.
I see folks at a local outdoor music place buying the $7 pints of Bud all day long. And I assume it's their own money they're spending. Unbelievable.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #328 on: June 20, 2019, 07:34:53 AM »
Fell off the wagon. Instead of my self-imposed 3 per day limit, I had 4 beers last night. I had been sticking to the 3 per day rule for four days in a row. Even went down to just 2 beers one day.  Needing to use the will power is no fun.           

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #329 on: June 20, 2019, 07:35:59 AM »
My husband and I stopped buying alcohol about a year ago and I think it has saved us easily $200 a month.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #330 on: June 20, 2019, 08:09:18 AM »
Fell off the wagon. Instead of my self-imposed 3 per day limit, I had 4 beers last night. I had been sticking to the 3 per day rule for four days in a row. Even went down to just 2 beers one day.  Needing to use the will power is no fun.         

Much to my own shock, I found it was far easier to just not drink at all (after the first two weeks, that is) then to constantly argue with myself about pouring another half glass every night. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #331 on: June 20, 2019, 08:41:01 AM »
I am going back and forth about cutting back on drinking. I "feel" like I get more enjoyment than downsides (I've never drank so much I've ever thrown up, and rarely get a hangover). I'm more aware than the average person of the negative effects of alcohol as I have 3 family members who are/were alcoholics, and a couple (my judgment) who abuse alcohol. Because of my older brother our entire family went to "rehab" (aanon meetings).

However I've gotten in habit when I get home from work and make dinner, and most of the time I have wine with my dinner, so I a) watch tv with the wine and nibble on more food like cheese and crackers or chocolate and b) my day is done. While I can still do house work, I am not mentally up for working on my hobbies (writing and art). Part of me justifies that it's Ok for me to have downtime. At the same time my time is limited, and what is being sacrificed is output.. So while I love the wine and downtime, at some point I will need to cut back (limit to 1 or 2 days a week) or entirely refrain for a period of time to get another zine out. 

eta my favorite non-alcoholic drink right now is celestial seasonings Bengal spice tea, esp with a little agave syrup and almond milk. YUM

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:57:51 AM by partgypsy »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #332 on: June 20, 2019, 08:50:42 AM »

Much to my own shock, I found it was far easier to just not drink at all (after the first two weeks, that is) then to constantly argue with myself about pouring another half glass every night.

I totally understand. I did a number of years of no (added) sugar and it was much simpler then trying to reduce sugar by an arbitrary amount. Same thing for me eating meat during lent, or alcohol during pregnancy. Oddly I think it requires less willpower because decision making is already done. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #333 on: June 20, 2019, 05:28:19 PM »
I am going back and forth about cutting back on drinking. I "feel" like I get more enjoyment than downsides (I've never drank so much I've ever thrown up, and rarely get a hangover). I'm more aware than the average person of the negative effects of alcohol as I have 3 family members who are/were alcoholics, and a couple (my judgment) who abuse alcohol. Because of my older brother our entire family went to "rehab" (aanon meetings).

However I've gotten in habit when I get home from work and make dinner, and most of the time I have wine with my dinner, so I a) watch tv with the wine and nibble on more food like cheese and crackers or chocolate and b) my day is done. While I can still do house work, I am not mentally up for working on my hobbies (writing and art). Part of me justifies that it's Ok for me to have downtime. At the same time my time is limited, and what is being sacrificed is output.. So while I love the wine and downtime, at some point I will need to cut back (limit to 1 or 2 days a week) or entirely refrain for a period of time to get another zine out. 

eta my favorite non-alcoholic drink right now is celestial seasonings Bengal spice tea, esp with a little agave syrup and almond milk. YUM

Hmmm. That' an idea. Maybe I'll start drinking some sort of decaf tea. Sounds like no way it could replace a beer, but the mind is an amazing thing. Might act as a substitute. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #334 on: June 20, 2019, 06:38:04 PM »
Slackmax, I drink rooibos chai in the afternoon. Feels like a treat but no caffeine.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #335 on: June 21, 2019, 02:49:00 PM »
Slackmax, I drink rooibos chai in the afternoon. Feels like a treat but no caffeine.

Rooibs chai. Hmmm. I'll check that out, Thanks.   

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #336 on: June 22, 2019, 03:14:45 AM »
I've been really exhausted lately and not sleeping that well.  I'm in my late 40s so maybe this is just how life is now but maybe cutting down on or cutting out the booze might give me more energy? 

It's hot now and nothing like a frosty beer after a hard day's work though.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #337 on: June 22, 2019, 04:54:22 AM »
I've been really exhausted lately and not sleeping that well.  I'm in my late 40s so maybe this is just how life is now but maybe cutting down on or cutting out the booze might give me more energy? 

Nothing like an ice cold glass of water with a twist of lemon after a hard day's work!!  (Reframe those thoughts!) . ((If you want))

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: June 22, 2019, 06:29:40 AM »

Nothing like an ice cold glass of water with a twist of lemon after a hard day's work!!  (Reframe those thoughts!) . ((If you want))

You're quite right.  I need to get some enticing non-alcoholic options to put in the fridge.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #339 on: June 22, 2019, 08:29:23 AM »
Went to my first bar-based social event since I did the 30-day program (currently I'm somewhere past the 100-day mark, which gives an indication of just how rarely I socialize in a group at a restaurant or bar).  I drank water, and still found I was able to talk with everyone (all dozen or so of the others had multiple beers) with no problem or major anxiety.  There was still minor 'background' anxiety b/c I don't like being in groups bigger than about 6 people (occasional sport, musical, or theatrical events excepted), no matter alchohol's involvement...I am most definitely NOT a herd animal.  But I'm not sure why I have been convinced for 2 decades that I needed a slight buzz to socialize.  And it was nice that when I really wanted to leave, I didn't need to wait for my husband to sit around for another 45 minutes after his last beer so he could drive...I could just drive and we could leave right then.

One slight negative I noticed, though.  My natural introversion definitely asserts itself more without drinking. Without alcohol, after about 1.5-2 hours, I was definitely ready to leave and be very quiet (possibly for the next week lol); whereas, my typical buzz would have damped down my anxiety and irritation at being in a big, boistrous group and I would have been fine coasting along for another hour or two and I wouldn't have hit such a clear point of 'ok, fun's over and I'm done'.  So I can see how it can somewhat affect one's socializing, if one is introverted.  Extroverts probably not so much.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #340 on: June 22, 2019, 03:03:06 PM »
@wenchsenior that is very much my bar experience now. I was definitely using alcohol to mute my normal discomfort and let me continue to socialise long after I hit my natural limit. Now I make sure I turn up for the earlier part of events when it's quieter/less of a buzz on and then leave when it starts hitting a certain volume.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #341 on: June 22, 2019, 05:04:12 PM »
You guys, I haven't been to a bar in forever. I can't stand the high prices, plus tip! Oh well, I did go a few months ago since a woman I was interested in invited me to meet her there. And I bought myself a beer and left a tip. The things ya have to do, right?? lol... Offered to pay for hers, but she refused.

ANyway... I had  two beers today around noon, then went out to do stuff, came back around 5 PM and did NOT have more beers. yay!  My standard new  low 'goal' is three beers per day, so only having two is pretty good.

I did make myself an 'alternate beverage', which was Lipton's decaf tea made with hot water and a teabag.  It's working, I guess. I  haven't had  a craving for a beer all evening. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 05:07:36 PM by slackmax »

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #342 on: June 23, 2019, 07:26:53 AM »
I broke down and had a nice cold glass of white wine with dinner last night.  Glad to see that those of us cutting down on booze rather than cutting it out completely are welcome on this thread.

The new me is going to drink one glass of wine or small glass of beer 3-4 days a week.  TBH I never really enjoy the wine after that first glass anyway.

pudding

• Bristles
« Reply #343 on: June 23, 2019, 03:13:01 PM »
2 months so far.  Lost a lot of beer pudding/belly.  I was spending about $10 a day on beer/wine. 

So would have spent about $600 on booze in last 2 months.

I've noticed that I sleep a lot better, it took about a week for my sleep pattern to normalize. But I sleep and wake more rested.

I don't seem to ache and be as stiff as I was, I can definitely bend down to tie my shoes easier.

I definitely DO NOT MISS HANGOVERS!  What a dumb azz thing that was to do for so long.

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #344 on: June 23, 2019, 05:03:41 PM »
Just popping in to cheer everyone on!  I've really appreciated lurking on this thread and seeing the thoughtful efforts so many people are making.

DH and I reset our alcohol habit a few years ago, first by abstaining for several years, and now by very intentional drinking.  For us that means no more than one drink per day (always measured), no more than 3-4 drinks per week and not on consecutive days, no drinking alone.   We are thinking about the amount as we feel we may be slipping back to treating alcohol as a habit rather than a treat.  Alcohol as a treat is great and we'd like to preserve that.  Alcohol as a habit is very insidious and it's quite easy to ramp up before you know it. 

Best of luck to everyone in drinking or not drinking - both with intention.

El_Viajero

• Stubble
« Reply #345 on: June 24, 2019, 10:03:44 AM »
Just anyone needs some extra encouragement, I found this article to be worthwhile:  https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/06/23/732876026/breaking-the-booze-habit-even-briefly-has-its-benefits

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #346 on: June 24, 2019, 05:04:02 PM »

On day 7.  So far, so good.  This weekend was tough - I am the cook and usually cooking is accompanied by several glasses of strong beer.  My wife's bday was Saturday and Father's Day was Sunday so i spent a good deal of time craving something while i was prepping.  Also, when we sat down both nights, we had some pretty fancy meals (Salmon Wellington and steak) that would have gone great with a glass of wine.

I am sad to say: I really hope i can go back to drinking casually.  We have a very expensive collection of wines in our home and I have no plans to ask my wife not to drink in front of me.  And, i am sorry, but a nice glass of wine just goes so well with a nice steak.

Day 14, still going strong.  this weekend was difficult - was down in the FL keys with friends.  it was 90+ degrees, we were hanging by the pool and everyone had a drink in their hands.  luckily, no peer pressure from them but damn would have been nice to have a cold one.

one thing that has surprised me - i haven't lost any weight.  i wasn't big to begin with (160 lbs for a 6'2" male) but i thought i would lose a few lbs.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #347 on: June 24, 2019, 08:04:03 PM »
Day 14, still going strong.  this weekend was difficult - was down in the FL keys with friends.  it was 90+ degrees, we were hanging by the pool and everyone had a drink in their hands.  luckily, no peer pressure from them but damn would have been nice to have a cold one.

one thing that has surprised me - i haven't lost any weight.  i wasn't big to begin with (160 lbs for a 6'2" male) but i thought i would lose a few lbs.
I opted for a sharp bitter substitute in those situations - grapefruit juice in seltzer being a fav or a splash of pomegranate with fresh lime. Gave the bite and the refreshment I was looking for. I also did not lose weight initially but 2 years later and I am down 10kg. It's different for everyone. You are doing great.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #348 on: June 26, 2019, 06:50:56 AM »
Got home last night after a fun day of doing interesting things and was NOT craving a beer. Although I was definitely thinking about it.  So I had one 12 ouncer at 7.5% ABV.  Enjoyed it.

Decided NOT to have another, because I wanted to notch a 'one beer only' day into my belt.

I was in a good mood yesterday due to coming to a decision finally about something I had been worrying about, and also having had some fun social activity.   

Being in a good mood, as opposed to being worried or bored, makes it much easier to say no to the brewskis. 

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #349 on: June 26, 2019, 09:04:07 AM »
I think i need to get knocked down a peg or two.

I drank consistently for the last ~7 years, almost always one or two beers a night.

Since 2018 and into 2019, it escalated to having 3-5 strong beers every night, followed by wine at dinner.  i knew it was an issue (wasn't recalling the arguments with my wife at night, failed to recall the plot of whatever TV show we watched or book i read before passing out).

i admitted i had a problem and went alcohol free 17 days ago.

The reason for the "knock me down" request: it has been surprisingly easy.  i am on my first out of town work trip since ditching the booze, in a town i know well with many pubs i also know well.  last night i marched right into the same bar i always visit.  i had no doubt i could skip the booze, and skip it i did.

no one would recommend walking into a bar by yourself to someone that drank like i did for as long as i did, if that someone was just recently sober.

but i did it, and knew i could.  ordered the same meal i usually did and got weird looks from the bartender when i ordered club soda.

i don't want to get overconfident, but is it common to be able to do these kinds of things with such confidence?

does it in any way indicate that maybe i am the type of person that can drink once a week, or occasionally, without getting out of control? i honestly don't know because up until now, i never tried to exercise self control.