Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 307829 times)

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »
Early on in my sobriety we did a bunch of fruit juices and selzers.  Coconut water with pineapple juice was especially tasty.  Now it's just the selzers because we are watching the carbs.  The only combo I have continued is the "cranberry fizz."   

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »
Grapefruit juice w seltzer gives the same bitter citrus as an IPA. It's a staple in our house

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2018, 07:44:37 AM »
That sounds really, really good.  I may have to try it.

EarlyInJourney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
I've cut back in recent weeks, to support my wife re: reproductive reasons.  I've found that LeCroix sparkling water works for me, as a substitute.  I went out with a friend a few days ago, had a shot, and felt really gross - like I had just poured a little glassful of toxins into my body...

Not sure yet how serious I want to get about this, but the benefits of quitting, or at least significantly reducing, alcohol consumption, are pretty clear to me... Sympathy sobriety is definitely a good thing!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »
I still have not fully committed to be a teetotaler, but I've managed to pass by my regular watering hole a couple of times this week and talk to my friends there and resisted the beer offerings.  Small victory. :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2018, 05:15:58 AM »
I was alcohol free for about 4 months earlier this year. Recently tried adding it back in and I think I’m gonna stay dry for life. My inflammation levels go up, mild sugar cravings return despite otherwise sticking to my very low carb diet, and my enjoyment of it isn’t worth the other negative physical and emotional feelings (I have chronic depression).

Gonna go back and read the thread now.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2018, 07:08:56 AM »
Downloaded a sobriety tracker app after reading through the thread, I think that will be a good thing to have :)

@CrustyBadger you mention your weight issues. Have you tried LCHF or other ketogenic type diets? They don’t necessarily work for everyone, but I’ve been completely changed by it and know a lot of folks who’ve benefited too. In my experience, it works similar to dropping alcohol for a set period and then having a drink again. After a month or two, eating carbs again makes you feel so fucking gross that it’s self-reinforcing.

Similar to alcohol, I personally really struggle to moderate with carbs. Cold turkey was the only way for me to succeed.

I’ve lost 55+ lb in 19 months and am 20lbs lighter than I’ve ever been as an adult (have been obese my entire life) with maybe 10-15 more pounds to lose before I’m at a quite health body fat %.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: August 17, 2018, 07:12:51 AM »
@furrychickens:  I did the same.  Shortly after I gave up drinking (about 2 years ago now) I went pretty hard-core keto.  I lost about 40 lbs and have kept it off.  Intermittent fasting really kicks it into overdrive.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2018, 07:20:22 AM »
@furrychickens, I would LOVE to try a LCHF or even a Whole30 type meal plan again.  I did very well on an Atkins induction diet years ago; felt the healthiest I ever did by cutting out most grains and starches.  I ate a ton of leafy green veggies, sensible protein, nuts and so on.   

I have a lot of very serious family responsibilities right now with different medical issues related to food.   My husband is no longer able to chew and I have to prepare everything so it can be pureed or easily swallowed, for example, and he needs more calories because he is losing weight. Both my children have different food related issues as well (and they both need help gaining weight).  Trying to keep some semblance of normality with family mealtimes is important, and I'm afraid everyone else's needs are coming in front of mine.  I tried throwing money at the problem (that's how I ran into so much debt!) and am now trying to throw time at the problem (but with working full time and dealing with the caretaking my husband needs, and the needs to two teens... it's hard... which is why I drink...)

Anyhow, I am hoping cutting out alcohol will give me more energy to deal with other issues.   And maybe I'll find a practical solution for my personal meal needs that doesn't require spending too much money.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2018, 07:34:35 AM »
@CrustyBadger oof, that’s a load!

I could see a lot of ways you could make it easy on yourself, like eating lunch meat and cheese, pre-cooked sausages, etc but totally understand the overwhelmed feeling.

Depending on what’s going on with your kids, I’ve also known folks using keto or similar auto-immune protocol diets to gain weight. Good luck!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2018, 11:10:17 AM »
Wow you have a lot on your plate. A friend of mine lost all his saliva from radiation and had to feed himself through a tube in his stomach.  Such a drag as food is such a big pleasure.   Take care

austin944

• Stubble
« Reply #161 on: August 24, 2018, 12:56:16 PM »

More motivation to quit:

-------

There's "no safe level of alcohol," major new study concludes

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alcohol-and-health-no-safe-level-of-drinking-major-new-study-concludes/

"Previous studies have found a protective effect of alcohol on some conditions, but we found that the combined health risks associated with alcohol increase with any amount of alcohol," lead author Dr. Max Griswold, of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington, said in a statement. "In particular, the strong association between alcohol consumption and the risk of cancer, injuries, and infectious diseases offset the protective effects for ischemic heart disease in women in our study."

peregrine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2018, 09:47:53 PM »
I reached day 50 today.  I'm finding that the greatest temptations occur after a stressful day at work. The long hours and tiredness contribute to the temptation of a drink, but once I get home the pattern is broken and I don't even think about it.

Funny, how our triggers work.  I've heard that after 3 months your brain has made new habits that require virtually no thinking or willpower anymore. I'm halfway there.

In any case, I'm doing better in all areas of life and plan to keep it that way!

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2018, 04:54:15 AM »
Amen, peregrine!

I am finding my only cravings to come when I feel I am being pulled in all directions by my family members' needs.   Once I realize that is what is happening, the impulse to have a drink dwindles away.  I've realized that having a drink of alcohol will do nothing to help me meet anyone's needs!

I've started enjoying working out (with my teenaged son) in the late evenings as well.  By the time we get home and I have my shower, it's basically bed time and there's not even a time to sit around and crave a glass of alcohol.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #164 on: August 29, 2018, 05:20:29 AM »
Day 13 for me. Having a bit more cravings than I remember from the last time I went sober but it’s all good.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2018, 10:14:50 AM »
When my son quit drinking he replaced it with sparkling water with lemon added.  He is coming today for a few weeks so I stocked up.  I quit drinking at 31 when I was raising my kids and after awhile I never had the urge anymore. Took it up again about 10 years ago but recently decided that I am only drinking once a week when we go out for dinner. It’s too easy to let it become a unhealthy nightly habit.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2018, 04:06:31 AM »
To be a Devil's Advocate here, what is needed is a compound which gives the same relaxed, merry feel of alcohol, but without the side effects.
Depends on the side effects you are talking about, but there is a compound which gives similar effects without the liver/cancer risks.  Unfortunately it’s highly illegal because it’s used for date rape

Hehehehe lol.

But actually: though it doesn't give the same 'buzz' alcohol does: exercise makes me a much happier and more relaxed person!

bluewater

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2018, 12:06:46 PM »
I just want to give a sincere thank you to the thread as a whole and those specifically that pointed out Annie Grace's book, This Naked Mind.  I've come to view alcohol in a whole different light (coming from a daily drinker 20+ years).  For anyone that's had the feeling they need to cut back a bit, limit their alcohol to certain amounts or days I'd highly recommend checking out the book.  Don't worry, you can be drinking while you read it and you won't have to commit to cutting back or quitting.  I went through a Whole 30 and felt great afterwards and I'm coming to realize I think a major reason for how I felt was just being sober for that long.  However the restriction that said I couldn't drink that month was miserable and in fact I couldn't wait to have wine as soon as it was allowed.  Personally I haven't said to myself I'm never drinking again but I'm just feeling right now that I just don't want to drink.  Crazy. 

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: September 17, 2018, 05:16:19 PM »
I also am greatful for the book ( this Naked Mind) and this thread, I havent had a drink in 5 months and I do feel really good.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2018, 05:25:26 PM »
I love this thread and how positive everyone is on it. My tea collection is exploding but it is amazing what a good substitute a nice cup of tea is in terms of marking transition from work to not-work time.

GilbertB

• Stubble
    • Sci-fi Meandering
« Reply #170 on: September 18, 2018, 03:09:35 PM »
Well done to all of you.

I drink maybe two glasses of champagne a year. This has always been the case.
And I feel totally normal.

Some families or groups have low alcohol tolerance, I think that is my case, as that flute of champagne make me dizzy.
Not forgetting the aunt, three uncles and Grandfather all dead of drink related diseases might also be pointers that I should never ever be tempted!

Proud of all of you!

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: September 18, 2018, 04:36:01 PM »
I love this thread and how positive everyone is on it. My tea collection is exploding but it is amazing what a good substitute a nice cup of tea is in terms of marking transition from work to not-work time.

Yes!   Or even just a "nice cold glass of ice water"!

I was able to reframe my desire for a "cold beer" or "a glass of white wine" when coming home from a long day of stress at work in this way.  "I can't wait to get home, put my feet up, and have a nice cold glass of ice water."   If you say it often enough, it starts to sound like a treat.  (-:

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: September 19, 2018, 04:58:09 AM »
I'm currently working with the rule that I am only allowed to have an alcoholic beverage when I'm outside of my own house.  As others have said I mainly don't like that a glass of wine had become a habit, and that maybe the amount in that glass had grown little by little.

I do now have a sparkling water habit.  But for some reason I don't feel bad about drinking a 1/2 liter bottle of Costco's fancy stuff.

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #173 on: September 19, 2018, 05:20:54 AM »
I love the title of this post btw :)

I’ve been lurking since I saw it. I don’t have a problem with my drinking level but I’m 47 and over the last year I feel like my body/liver is telling me NO! I would have hangovers from just a couple glasses of wine, so odd.

I had my blood test last fall a year ago now and Dr said my liver enzymes are fine and people develop sensitivity. Anyway, a few months ago I just...stopped drinking.

It’s funny how in social situations it can be odd. I’m in Sales, so I’m getting small glasses of seltzer with lime, etc. but I’ve managed just fine. With friends if anyone asks I just say I’m up for a 10-15 mile bike ride Sunday morning (which is true), and That tends to work, versus “I think my liver might be aging” lmao

Thanks all, for sharing.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:02:31 AM by Bean05 »

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: September 19, 2018, 05:57:33 AM »
Liver enzymes are not always elevated when someone has liver damage. A liver ultrasound may be a better evaluation. I am not a Doctor .

I am more sensitive to alcohol last few years, especially wine gives me a headache the next day. My symptoms mostly were low energy the next day after drinking 3 beers. I thought I was getting old and lazy but when I quit drinking I had tons of energy

I also feel like I am in a small society of non drinkers and I rarely meet non drinkers. who needs non drinking friends when you have youtube I guess. Lots of support there.

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #175 on: September 24, 2018, 07:26:42 AM »
Good Morning!

I am day two of no booze, and it's much better than day one--although, the hangover on day one was strong impetus for deciding to investigate a teetotaler's life. DH and I looked at each other yesterday while feeling like crap and chagrined over stupid fighting and decided we have crept into the realm of "problem drinking."

Hearing how good all of you are feeling is very motivating.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #176 on: September 24, 2018, 08:20:40 AM »
Good Morning!

I am day two of no booze, and it's much better than day one--although, the hangover on day one was strong impetus for deciding to investigate a teetotaler's life. DH and I looked at each other yesterday while feeling like crap and chagrined over stupid fighting and decided we have crept into the realm of "problem drinking."

Hearing how good all of you are feeling is very motivating.
Keep the memory of how you felt on day 1 as motivation for the day you're in. There was a time I couldn't imagine not drinking. My life took a whole new direction when I gave it up. Best decision I ever made. It's just for today. Lots of today's make months make years. Health, Spirit, Relationships, Finances grow along with it if you want it to. Wishing you the best.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #177 on: September 24, 2018, 10:42:00 AM »
DH and I looked at each other yesterday while feeling like crap and chagrined over stupid fighting and decided we have crept into the realm of "problem drinking."

Someone I listen to recently on a Podcast said 90 percent of all arguments were fueled by Caffiene or alcohol...

I did learn, as a side effect of my spouse and I giving up beer,  is that we do indeed get along better and I was not expecting that. I am a lot less moody especially in the morning and am more aware of my moods.

Good luck on day 3

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2018, 05:42:26 PM »
@snogirl & @BikeFanatic thanks for the support.  Intriguing data and personal experiences on the fighting; looking back over the past couple of years we've realized our really bad fights were at least partially fueled by booze. I wouldn't have thought that, but it's another motivator for sure.

Day three went pretty well except that I've somehow got a head cold :p  I'm figuring that by the time the cold goes away I'll be feeling pretty fine!  (Did notice intense sugar cravings around happy hour yesterday and today, and I've not been eating sweets for about a month; assume that was detox related).

Definitely a great thread for me right now--thanks to all the participants for the read!

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2018, 06:48:16 PM »
We definitely fought more with booze in the equation. I just wasn't as attentive to my family's needs, or as attuned to the nuances of personal interactions. Also, as was already mentioned, paying attention to your moods is hella easier when you are sober and those swings just aren't as common when you aren't fighting even the slightest hangover.

Keep it up!

sanderh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2018, 08:05:56 PM »
I've recently kicked alcohol out of my life completely, want to join me?
Congratulations, good for you! I stopped alcohol drinking a long time ago and don't plan to resume. No regrets.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2018, 05:12:59 AM »
I had a dream last night that I was asking a few friends out for beer and everyone was starting at me wondering why I was getting ready to drink. As I reflected on it more I figured it might be related to feeling a little more socially isolated after giving up what I think is a pretty common social endeavor (hey, lets grab a beer or want to cruise to the bar tonight? Or after work or..) I know you can just have a soda water but even with that I get fewer invites because folks know I don't drink and I organize fewer get togethers because I was big on gatherings when I drank more but don't love them as much now.

What are your go to social outings as you limit your alcohol intake?

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2018, 09:01:56 AM »
Came to check in yesterday to announce I'd made it a full week. For some reason, starting that post made me really, really, really want a beer so I ended up walking away and trying to distract myself. Was effective at that and it's too early to drink now so here I am on day 8, feeling pretty good.

The social challenges raised by @onemorebike are ones that I've been dreading the most.  It's not like I'm a big bar hopper, but 1-2 times a month have drinks out with friends or at home-based dinner.  I'm not completely sure how to deal with this future event--have even been considering modifying "no hooch" to "only social hooch" for this reason.  I'm attracted to the clear hard line of purity, but I'm also not convinced I never want to drink again.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2018, 10:21:02 AM »
FWIW, I went back and read Annie Grace's "liminal" chapter on the belief that you drink to be more social and that helped me answer my own question. A week is awesome. I can't do the only social hooch, I'm too social. :)

Came to check in yesterday to announce I'd made it a full week. For some reason, starting that post made me really, really, really want a beer so I ended up walking away and trying to distract myself. Was effective at that and it's too early to drink now so here I am on day 8, feeling pretty good.

The social challenges raised by @onemorebike are ones that I've been dreading the most.  It's not like I'm a big bar hopper, but 1-2 times a month have drinks out with friends or at home-based dinner.  I'm not completely sure how to deal with this future event--have even been considering modifying "no hooch" to "only social hooch" for this reason.  I'm attracted to the clear hard line of purity, but I'm also not convinced I never want to drink again.

daveed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Instagram
« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2018, 08:57:50 AM »
53 days and counting! Alcoholism runs in my family, and found myself not liking who I was under the influence as much as myself sober.

So far so good. I've only had 2 people notice, both of who are close to me. Other than that I basically don't tell anyone and sip on my LeCroix or nonalcoholic cocktail / ginger drink.

Lost weight, and saving probably $40-80 a month.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2018, 09:34:39 AM »
53 days! That is great news, you must be feeling amazing. Best advice I heard was that you are pretty much never in the clear, keep it up.

53 days and counting! Alcoholism runs in my family, and found myself not liking who I was under the influence as much as myself sober.

So far so good. I've only had 2 people notice, both of who are close to me. Other than that I basically don't tell anyone and sip on my LeCroix or nonalcoholic cocktail / ginger drink.

Lost weight, and saving probably $40-80 a month.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2018, 10:55:08 AM »
booze free for 92 days. Breaking the streak in a couple weeks when we head out on vacation, then back to no booze. 38 pounds of weight loss since dropping the booze.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2018, 11:26:50 AM »
38 pounds? That's bananas.
booze free for 92 days. Breaking the streak in a couple weeks when we head out on vacation, then back to no booze. 38 pounds of weight loss since dropping the booze.

austin944

• Stubble
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2018, 09:28:49 PM »

Group sports or group exercise.  It's hard to drink alcohol when you are working up a sweat.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2018, 05:16:58 AM »

Group sports or group exercise.  It's hard to drink alcohol when you are working up a sweat.

When I did the Annie Grace "alcohol experiment" course she showed us a graph that said how many adults in the US drink and how much/how often they drink.  I was really surprised to see than (roughly) 33% of the adults do not drink alcohol at all, and another 33% drink only about once or twice a month or so.  Only the "top" third of the population drinks once a week, and of that group about 1/3 just once or twice a week, 1/3 drinks about once a day, and only the "top" one tenth drinks as I drank, more than once glass each day, or more than 14 drinks each week.

So looking at that, it seems it should be easy to find social events where people aren't drinking.  Most people in the US don't drink that much.  But that hasn't been the case in my social circle in the past -- many social gatherings (including watching sports) involve drinking alcohol.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2018, 11:47:37 AM »

When I did the Annie Grace "alcohol experiment" course she showed us a graph that said how many adults in the US drink and how much/how often they drink.  I was really surprised to see than (roughly) 33% of the adults do not drink alcohol at all, and another 33% drink only about once or twice a month or so.  Only the "top" third of the population drinks once a week, and of that group about 1/3 just once or twice a week, 1/3 drinks about once a day, and only the "top" one tenth drinks as I drank, more than once glass each day, or more than 14 drinks each week.

So looking at that, it seems it should be easy to find social events where people aren't drinking.  Most people in the US don't drink that much.  But that hasn't been the case in my social circle in the past -- many social gatherings (including watching sports) involve drinking alcohol.
Here's a link to a 2014 chart:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/09/25/think-you-drink-a-lot-this-chart-will-tell-you/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.20f9c38cef97

It is surprising to me too.   I'm in the 7th to 8th Decile. 

Top decile...10 drinks per day every day!   Yikes!

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2018, 06:07:51 PM »
That was it -- yeah, I was in the 9th decile.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2018, 07:45:58 AM »
Rejoining this thread...sorta.  Will I be completely booze free?  Not sure yet.  But it was a Saturday yesterday and I didn't drink.  I had 2 drinks on Thursday and 3 on Friday.  Too much.  My pattern has been to be dry Sun-Wed then have drink (or two, or three) on Thurs/Fri/Sat.  I'm trying to break the pattern.  My previous pattern was drinking daily so I was doing better with the new pattern but I found it too easy to binge (I'm female, I should have 1 drink a day, max) and then I felt stupid the next day.  I don't want my kids to see me tipsy and definitely not drunk.  According to the chart, I was in the 8th decile and my husband is in the 9th. I'm shooting for something more in the 6th decile - two drinks per month total. 

The plan - I love ginger beer (alcohol free) and the heat of the ginger replicates the feeling of alcohol on my throat.  Husband has agreed to buy me fancy ginger beer as my Fri/Sat treat.  This also coincides with me stopping sodas for caffeine in the mornings, so the ginger beer will taste even better. 

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2018, 08:24:17 AM »
I just realized I have been alcohol free for over 2 months!

Not having any difficulties with it.  Very occasionally I will crave a beer, and since I'm not doing the Annie Grace emails every day anymore will forget that I'm not drinking and why... but then I remember and don't have the beer (they are still in the fridge because my husband does still drink them.)

To free up more space in the fridge I've asked him if we can just store the beer somewhere else, and only make a beer cold beer by beer.  It's more of a pain for him, but he also wants to be cutting back.  And you can chill a beer pretty quickly in the freezer.   
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:01:58 PM by CrustyBadger »

mntnmn117

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2018, 11:00:42 AM »
Giving sober October a try.  Those charts are pretty interesting.  I'm a ninth percentile drinking and man those triggers people list on page 1 hit home.

After just one week the triggers are so constant - post bike ride, back porch grilling, rough day at work, lazy weekend afternoon. But I'm down at least a pound and probably saved $20-30 bucks already.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2018, 07:33:50 PM »
This thread gracefully "found me" tonight and love the amazing results folks are getting...    so I'm in for a "test walk" now till my birthday Oct 20... then see how long I can "run" after that...   Major work stress / org change drama, a change in exercise habits (really cut back on tennis after an injury) and the alcohol habit especially during college football season are not being good to me physically with weight/sleep/energy loss, the whole negative enchilada.   No kidding, I may need some nudges to keep me going y'all.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2018, 04:56:45 AM »
The best advice I can give is commit to a month. Like when figuring out possible food intolerances or allergies too mild to show up on a prick test, a month seems like the minimum effective period to abstain from something and have your body recover from delayed negative reactions. Then, if desired, add it back in and see how you feel. The difference is sometimes subtle, sometimes surprisingly stark.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #197 on: October 10, 2018, 12:00:04 AM »
Just wanted to encourage everyone here for going alcohol free, keep it up!  Your weight and finances are all the better for it. 

I know how hard it is to decline alcohol especially when your social circle wants to hang out at a bars.  Just the other day I was at a gathering and meet a bunch of new people that I wanted to get to know better.  One offered me a beer and normally I wouldn't hesitate to just say that I'm OK, however this time for a split second I actually considered taking him up on his offer because I wanted to be social make a good impression.  I still declined politely and we had a good time getting to know each other.  Turns out it was all in my head and most people don't really care if you drink or not.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: October 12, 2018, 05:10:10 PM »
It's Friday and I'm not drinking.  I just don't want it to have power over me anymore, and my aunt is dying from esophageal cancer.  Alcohol can contribute to that sort of cancer and I don't want to put my kids what my cousins are going through right now.  Not saying my aunt caused her cancer, I have no idea.  But I quit smoking for the health benefits and I don't see much of a difference now between smoking and drinking. 

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: October 12, 2018, 06:52:39 PM »
Well done Neustache!   Same here...  went for a bike ride for my happy hour Fri night instead of boozing...  And already down a few easy pounds so far.  Feels awesome!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!