Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 307811 times)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2018, 02:16:30 PM »
Day three, just had a low-sugar alcohol free mojito. Life is good!

I've never been a heavy drinker or binge drinker, and have no problem limiting myself to 2 beers on a normal weekday, but I did find myself drinking those 2 beers almost every night, in both good (to 'celebrate') and average to bad (to 'unwind') times.
And after reading about a study that showed that even really modest drinkers (<2 glasses / day) can get health benefits (liver, cholesterol) from quitting completely for just one month, I decided to give it a go!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 02:21:42 PM by DagobertDuck »

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2018, 02:28:39 PM »
Honestly, I'm surprised it doesn't come up here a little more often!

I guess I'm in, too, but I never started drinking in the first place. Going on 37 years without a drop, and I'm surprised it doesn't come up more often for FIRE or for health. (I am aware that you can get all the same benefits from grapes without the fermentation process. That being said, I have likely consumed fermented fruits just because I was unwilling to throw them away.)

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2018, 04:01:32 PM »
YEAH NO BOOZE HERE (well I ahven't had a drink for like a decade and it was just once)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2018, 12:38:13 AM »
It took about 3 months for it to become normalised for me, but 10 months in and I don't want to drink again. I am also surprised that it doesn't come up more around these parts.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2018, 02:48:02 PM »
Day 6, still doing fine.

In those 6 days there have been numerous occasions (dinner, dancing night, party) already where I normally would have had a drink, but without alcohol they were still fun.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 02:56:53 PM by DagobertDuck »

austin944

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2018, 06:58:18 PM »

It's been 333 days since I stopped.  I have saved a little over $400, and I no longer need to weigh myself every few days to keep tabs on any weight gain.  I replaced the single after-work Pale Ale with a glass of ice-water and don't miss it.  Once you stop, you realize that alcohol is a crutch, and getting rid of the crutch makes you stronger.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2018, 08:18:31 AM »
I am on day 55 I believe! I am surprised how my life is exactly the same with or without Alcolol. Just as much fun, I feel better and have more energy! I also have been working out more. It was so dificult to moderate for all those yeasrs and just stopping is easier somehow.

and Austin I saved 400 at least in two months. I used to go to a little Brewery nearby and my favorite beer there was 8$ for ten oz pour.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2018, 12:01:57 PM »
I have been a total failure at this since I posted before, but "simply begin again" as the meditators say. I guess I am starting over today. I said six months before, but I think I'll just try to get through June with no drinking at home (a drink when out is okay because I don't go out much).

Hope you all are doing better at this than I am!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2018, 12:47:06 PM »
I'm on day 11 now and still find it pretty easy actually.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2018, 01:05:37 PM »
I'm on day 11 now and still find it pretty easy actually.

You are stronger than most. I still get triggered here and there, especially with Summer rolling around (I love a good patio beer!). Still holding strong though, 4 months, 1 week and 2 days!

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2018, 01:43:43 PM »
You folks are doing Great! I do occasionally long for the summer beer on the patio, now I sub Coffee or a non alcoholic beer. 2 months no beer on Friday ( 60 days).

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2018, 09:41:00 PM »
Duchess how are you doing?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2018, 09:07:36 AM »
So I got through my first IVF cycle booze free for 6 weeks, except for a beer on 2 separate occasions. So that was a good 7 weeks of no drinking. The past couple weeks, we've taken some time off and indulged some. We're headed into IVF#2 though, so after this current bottle of wine, it's back to another 8+ weeks of not drinking. Here we go again!

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2018, 09:48:17 AM »
I am in for the duration.  1 year, 10 months, 2 days, so says my counter on my phone.  Good luck to everyone else on this quest.

If you are wishy-washy, take out a blank sheet of paper.  Do a vertical line down the middle and a horizontal line across the middle, dividing into four quadrants.  In the northwest quadrant, write down all of the costs of drinking.  In the southwest quadrant, write down all of the benefits of drinking.  In the northeast quadrant, write down all the benefits of quitting.  In the southeast quadrant, write down all of the costs of quitting.  Now do a cost-benefit analysis.  Check out which costs & benefits are long term or short term.  Take a look at the severity/intensity of the costs and benefits.  Think about if there are other activities/experiences you could substitute for the benefits you might lose.  Decide for yourself whether the benefits of your choice outweigh the costs.  Only you can make this decision.

JustJayMusic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2018, 12:23:06 PM »
Cut back dramatically from a 2-3 an evening beer habit. Found paying 20-25 dollars  for a 12 pack of micro brew,  sometimes twice a week is dipping into my pocket and not making my pants fit as well. Also started to worry I was starting down a bad road of leaning on booze. Was dealing with a lot of stress care taking for aging parents. Still going to drink socially but not at home so much anymore. Power to all of you cutting back or ending their drinking. It's not easy to do!

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2018, 12:27:53 PM »
I enjoy drinking quite a bit, but I don't normally drink all that much and I can go weeks without having a drink and not even realize it. This week I started re-watching MadMen which means I've also started drinking whisky on random week nights again. It is so hard to watch them drinking all the time and not want to join in on the revelry.

JustJayMusic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2018, 12:48:28 PM »
LOL, I'm not kidding, I actually stated smoking after watching Mad Men after having quit for like 15 years, I've since stopped again. Tells you how weak we can be!

I enjoy drinking quite a bit, but I don't normally drink all that much and I can go weeks without having a drink and not even realize it. This week I started re-watching MadMen which means I've also started drinking whisky on random week nights again. It is so hard to watch them drinking all the time and not want to join in on the revelry.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2018, 05:57:37 PM »
I'm within striking distance of a year. At this point, the benefits of not drinking far outweigh the benefits of drinking for me so it looks like I am in for the duration. It amuses me that I used to think fancy juices and teas Cost Too Much but $7 for 20 delicious beverages > $7 for one delicious beverage that messes up my sleep something chronic.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2018, 05:45:43 AM »
This! I've got a friend in town and was giving him the bicycle tour of breweries and bars last night. Initially I scoffed at the $6 price tag of kombucha at one place and a $4 price tag on root beer at another but then I remembered I used to spend that in my first half hour of a normal bar visit (i think I can count being in two since I stopped drinking). My app that tracks my days away from drinking also tells me I've saved over a grand and haven't consumed over 25,000 calories!
I'm within striking distance of a year. At this point, the benefits of not drinking far outweigh the benefits of drinking for me so it looks like I am in for the duration. It amuses me that I used to think fancy juices and teas Cost Too Much but $7 for 20 delicious beverages &gt; $7 for one delicious beverage that messes up my sleep something chronic.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2018, 12:39:45 PM »
14 days into my one-month challenge. Still at zero drinks! Time for a mid-term write-up:

Thirst:
I haven't craved for a drink even once. Since college, I apparently had simply conditioned myself into drinking 1-2 drinks on most weekdays and 4-5 or more at parties. I never thought quitting was this easy. Over the last two weeks, all the occasions where I would normally have had a couple of drinks were just as much fun being sober. An epic 150 mile hilly bicycle ride is still epic without the reward beer, a party is still a party etc etc. Just say no and drink something alcohol-free, that's all.

Physical & mental health effects:
To be honest, I haven't noticed any differences in sleep quality or quantity, or mental sharpness.
I do find myself recovering exceptionally well from strenuous exercise though, but that might also be due to the high level of general fitness I already had.
I haven't noticed any differences in body composition or skin quality, but I haven't been scrutinizing these parameters very carefully.
I did some literature research and I'm fully convinced of the health benefits of not drinking for my liver, body composition, testosterone levels and recovery from exercise.

I have been feeling a bit stressed and anxious sometimes lately (the 'whirl in the stomach' feeling), but that's more likely due to some weird events in my private life (return from biiiig trip 1.5 mo ago, subsequent relationship breakup, uncertainty about housing situation and doubts about future career / life path). On the upside: previously I'd definitely have soothed this anxiety with 2 beers, but apparently I can manage without booze as well.

And now?
I will definitely complete the remaining 2.5 weeks of this challenge. If I don't, please punch me in the face. There are still lots of parties, dinners and special events to come, but I know I can manage.
On the end date of this challenge (a bar / microbrewery tour with colleagues) I will limit my consumption to 2 or 3 beers and definitly not go on a binge. If I fail, please punch me in the face.

After that, I will continue to abstain from the weekday beers, and on the bar nights/parties/special occasions where I would previously drink 4-5+, I will limit myself to 2.
If I fail, please punch me in the face ;-)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:40:06 PM by DagobertDuck »

austin944

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2018, 01:35:02 PM »
Setting a series of progressively smaller limits on the number of drinks per day should be an easier goal than quitting cold turkey.   Not that I want to discourage anyone from doing the latter, but let's be honest, it's hard to totally quit that kind of habit.  It's sort of like going on a diet; how long do those typically last? :-)   

I went to zero after having been on a limit of 1 each weekday for a very long time.  It's too bad that the 6oz bottle size is not more common, to help make this transition easier.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:39:52 PM by austin944 »

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2018, 02:37:29 PM »
I'm in for 30 days! I'd like to spend less money on alcohol and see if my workout recovery time improves/changes with zero booze. I like trying different lifestyle shifts (whole 30, vegan, raw, etc.) so this should be fun.

Greyweld

• Pencil Stache
  • Get healthy, save money, kick ass
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »
I need to do another go of this for my mental and physical health. Gonna try for another month. Let's round up and call it until the end of July.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2018, 11:35:28 AM »
Remember that FI is not the goal. It's to figure out the things you actually, really, truly, greatly enjoy spending time doing, and doing those things. FI and RE are just tools to remove a 40 hour/week commitment that blocks you from choosing what things you get to do when you could be doing them, like all those glorious daylight hours between 9AM and 5PM! If you're torturing yourself to save money, you're just a slave to something else that you don't enjoy.

Thanks for that great quote, Lets see you back here alcohol free after 14 days. I want a report!

I am day 77

Greyweld

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2018, 11:39:14 AM »
Remember that FI is not the goal. It's to figure out the things you actually, really, truly, greatly enjoy spending time doing, and doing those things. FI and RE are just tools to remove a 40 hour/week commitment that blocks you from choosing what things you get to do when you could be doing them, like all those glorious daylight hours between 9AM and 5PM! If you're torturing yourself to save money, you're just a slave to something else that you don't enjoy.

Thanks for that great quote, Lets see you back here alcohol free after 14 days. I want a report!

I am day 77

Thank @neo von retorch . He's the genius behind the quote!

I'll be back in two weeks! :D

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2018, 01:08:32 PM »
I keep falling off the wagon. Sorry to say his name, but as long as Trump is president, I'm not sure I can get off the hooch :(

That's totally lame, of course. So I'm going to start over again soon. I quit for nearly two years several years ago, and it was surprisingly easy once I got a few weeks into it, so I know I can do it. I think I have to decide whether I am quitting 100% or whether I am going to try to just be a social drinker (that is, not drink at home alone to unwind after work; only drink when with other people). Last time, I quit 100%, and I committed to it for at least a year. I went to a gathering at a bar and I drank a water while others chugged their beer. It was not a big deal. When I went into the grocery store, I just didn't go to the huge alcohol section. It was easy, because I just knew I wasn't going to buy any beer/wine because I was 100% NOT drinking. I think saying that I'm going to be a social drinker makes it too easy to decide, fuck it, did you see what he tweeted today? I need a beer, whether it's a social one or not. Do y'all know what I'm saying?

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2018, 01:16:13 PM »
Yes, I hear you. I commit myself one month at a time. I say I am doing 30 days NO EXCUSES. But what I want is 60 days, then come 30 days I say another 30 days in a row NO EXCUSES NO EXCEPTIONS. and I do that. Now I am approaching 90 days, and at that point I am going to say I am going six months. I know when I slip up once I will keep making excuses to drink again.

I did the 30 day alcohol experiment with Annie Grace, sign up and she sends an email every day to encourage you. Committing is the key, I used to day oh well I will do 30/35 days alcohol free and so on I made 30 days after reading Annie graces book, there is also a booklet called alcohol explained by a guy named porter, that one was 3$ on amazon and worth a read also.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2018, 01:19:32 PM »
Hi, @Duchess of Stratosphear!

Keep at it, I admire your persistence. Over time, the reflex that a drink is the right consolation will shrink. Eventually your "clean" repetitions in that situation will predominate. You're making an investment in habit change. It will pay off.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2018, 02:54:35 PM »
It's about to be Dry July for anyine who wants a social excuse to quit it for a month.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2018, 03:11:01 PM »
14 days into my one-month challenge. Still at zero drinks! Time for a mid-term write-up:

[blah blah]

Day 29. Situation unchanged. Still sober, still going strong.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2018, 05:07:14 AM »

[blah blah]

Day 29. Situation unchanged. Still sober, still going strong.

Woohoo! That's GREAT stuff

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2018, 05:19:59 AM »
Have you read Annie Grace's book? I found a lot of it really useful for understand what I thought alcohol was helping me cope with better versus what it was actually doing. Her differentiation between conscious and unconscious thoughts (liminal thinking) was ground breaking for me and was the reason I was able to quit. Now Id say as long as we have this president I could never drink. :)
I keep falling off the wagon. Sorry to say his name, but as long as Trump is president, I'm not sure I can get off the hooch :(

That's totally lame, of course. So I'm going to start over again soon. I quit for nearly two years several years ago, and it was surprisingly easy once I got a few weeks into it, so I know I can do it. I think I have to decide whether I am quitting 100% or whether I am going to try to just be a social drinker (that is, not drink at home alone to unwind after work; only drink when with other people). Last time, I quit 100%, and I committed to it for at least a year. I went to a gathering at a bar and I drank a water while others chugged their beer. It was not a big deal. When I went into the grocery store, I just didn't go to the huge alcohol section. It was easy, because I just knew I wasn't going to buy any beer/wine because I was 100% NOT drinking. I think saying that I'm going to be a social drinker makes it too easy to decide, fuck it, did you see what he tweeted today? I need a beer, whether it's a social one or not. Do y'all know what I'm saying?

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2018, 07:13:55 AM »
 I've tried but not done well.  I do ok until I get stressed out, usually from dealing with my aging parents.  My Mom is very high maintenance and sometimes calls me 6 times a day, even at work.
I need to stop the drinking at home.  Worse yet is, sometimes stopping for drinks on the way home from work.

I am seeing a counselor which helps but I still need some inspirational reads, blogs, etc.

Any good suggestions?

austin944

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2018, 12:40:45 PM »
I've tried but not done well.  I do ok until I get stressed out, usually from dealing with my aging parents.  My Mom is very high maintenance and sometimes calls me 6 times a day, even at work.
I need to stop the drinking at home.  Worse yet is, sometimes stopping for drinks on the way home from work.

I am seeing a counselor which helps but I still need some inspirational reads, blogs, etc.

Any good suggestions?

I would tell your mother exactly what you said here.  You don't necessarily have to propose a solution at first, just state how you feel.  That's the first step.

Are you fearing the consequences of doing that?  It seems like procrastination will only make things worse, from what I can see.  Maybe you go down a spiral with your drinking; I've seen it happen to myself and others around me, when they did not take positive steps to resolve their problems.  Recognize that you are not alone here; it happens to a lot of people.

I saw this blog article today which might help you:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/in-practice/201805/30-types-self-sabotage-and-what-do-about-it

PT frequently has these blog articles that are really helpful to me.

edit: actually your first step was recognizing the problem and seeing a counselor. 

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:54:35 PM by austin944 »

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2018, 02:03:29 PM »

Any good suggestions?

Not sure if these are good, but:

Twelve step groups offer support from multiple people. Yes, they have lots of baggage too; definitely your choice either way. At least they're cheaper than drinking.  :)

Gratitude. Daily practice of gratitude might relieve stress and give you an emotional reward instead of drinking. List things you're grateful for, see them in your mind, say them out loud. Thank people for things you appreciate. If you believe in a higher power, express gratitude there. Write daily in a gratitude journal. Many people say these things are surprisingly helpful, but you only find out after you try it, apparently. Perhaps a picnic break or cup of coffee on the way home, where you journal for 10 minutes or so.

From my own life - you can miss a parent when they're gone even if they're a pain when alive. Fruitful topic for experimenting with gratitude, especially if these may be the parent's last years.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »

Any good suggestions?

https://www.smartrecovery.org/smart-recovery-toolbox/

The approach is rational emotive behavioral therapy, which was a forerunner of cognitive behavioral therapy.

thunderball

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2018, 04:51:56 PM »
Someone earlier mentioned Annie Grace.  I tried a couple of her podcasts and they were fantastic.  More awareness than judgment, and that made me stop and think.  I've cut way back and will return to nothing-during-the-week and then sensible weekends.  We'll see!

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2018, 05:05:33 PM »
I do 30 day challenges like this every once in a while. It's good to reset your body. I plan to start another one right after the 4th of July. I have to agree with others about how work/life stress breaks me down and I give in. Doing the 30 days at a time is good to break the habit for a while and reset.

dutty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2018, 08:26:15 AM »
What is your go-to non alcoholic drink at a bar or other social setting?

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2018, 08:29:28 AM »
Kombucha feels like a treat, but a soda water with a lime acts as a good disguise if you are in a situation where people may hassle you for not joining in the festivities.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2018, 08:30:03 AM »
High quality H2O

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2018, 09:07:47 AM »
Definitely coke zero with a lime wedge! Virgin cuba libre anyone?

Also, it slipped by without me noticing, but July 1st marked one year without alcohol. Initially I quit because of some meds I was on at the time, but then I realized just how normal drinking had become. It was scary to realize.

And on a sad note, I've noticed that my bond with a good friend has deteriorated. I started meeting her outside of bars and more at home for homecooked meals - and I never had any alcohol available - or Sunday brunches. The visits got shorter and shorter and after a few months, we only saw each other at birthday parties. She's the work-hard-play-hard Wall Street type (Dutchies, can you say Zuidas?). It saddens me to realize that alcohol was apparently such a crutch in our relationship and that we aren't as close as we once were. Or maybe I'm just very boring without alcohol? Hasn't cost me any other friends, so I don't really think so... yeah, it's a bit of a mindfuck to be honest.

But it's also a little sad to see that she needs that crutch. I wish she were more at peace with herself. Gods, that sounds presumptuous of me... I hope you guys know what I mean.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »
Water with fresh lemon

thunderball

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »

try club soda with bitters.  I've discovered there are all types, and makes the soda feel more "complex" and not necessarily sweet.  But simulates the real thing.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2018, 01:34:53 PM »
1. water (free!)
2. orange juice
3. cranberry juice

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2018, 09:27:05 AM »
I officially start my 30 days today! We had some friend from out of town over the weekend so decided to wait until today to start. My wife has been enjoying drinking Perrier with a lime or lemon wedge and we've both been drinking kombucha too. We always drink a ton of plain water every day already so nothing much changing there just cutting out the booze. I also picked up the little tiny cans of pepsi and 7Up. We don't usually ever drink soda, but I thought it would be good to turn to that if we needed something different.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2018, 10:06:23 AM »
Everyone please forgive my ignorance but isn't there alcohol in kombucha like  around 2%?  Much less than beer I know, but still.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »
Everyone please forgive my ignorance but isn't there alcohol in kombucha like  around 2%?  Much less than beer I know, but still.

Less than 0.5% ABV unless sold to 21+, at least in Oregon.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2018, 03:41:32 PM »

try club soda with bitters.  I've discovered there are all types, and makes the soda feel more "complex" and not necessarily sweet.  But simulates the real thing.

I wonder if this is something you can order in a bar, a bitters and soda?
There is a grapefruit bitters by Fee Brothers that is wonderful.

Greyweld

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2018, 03:48:42 PM »
2 weeks in! The first several days were the worst, but cravings are almost entirely subsided now.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!