Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 307828 times)

onemorebike

• Bristles
Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« on: April 05, 2018, 04:01:02 AM »
I've recently kicked alcohol out of my life completely, want to join me? There aren't many benefits, just saving more cash, effortlessly dropping lbs, more mental clarity, the end of hangovers, and much more time and energy to focus on the things that matter. Honestly, I'm surprised it doesn't come up here a little more often!

Feel free to post whether you'd like to join, what time period, and anything you are doing to help stick to it. (personally, I seriously recommend Annie Grace's Alcohol Experiment - 30 days of emails and videos that educate and support you along the way as you have the same doubts/issues that arise for most people)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 05:56:17 AM »
Hey there, I've just finished month 8 and it's going GREAT so count me in.

Things that helped: Annie Grace, drink substitution (tea, seltzer, juice spritzers) and taking a short walk during the witching hour to break the habit.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 08:24:41 AM »
I'm in. I'll aim for at least six months. I haven't decided about social drinking yet (I'm not very social, so this wouldn't be much drinking) but I definitely don't need to have the stuff in my house. Even one drink disrupts my sleep and turns me into a mindless Netflix binge watcher.

I recently listened to this and thought it was very interesting: https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2018/jan/22/how-i-let-drinking-take-over-my-life-podcast. It's about someone who had a serious problem with alcohol, but it's really good writing about a place I never want to get to, and how he gets out. 
I also checked checked out Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp that I'm interested in reading.

The Annie Grace stuff looks interesting too!

Gyosho

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 08:31:38 AM »
I read "This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol, Find Freedom, Discover Happiness & Change Your Life" by Annie Grace and it killed my desire for alcohol instantly.

Just a personal testimonial (to add to the many positive Amazon reviews).

https://www.amazon.com/This-Naked-Mind-Discover-Happiness/dp/0525537236/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522938664&sr=8-1&keywords=this+naked+mind

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 02:43:59 AM »
Both Knapp's Drinking: A Love Story and Sarah Hepola's Blackout are fascinating, well-written books.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 05:39:13 AM »
I quit drinking for a few months a couple of years ago for health and wealth reasons. I found the most difficult part was reprogramming other people's expectations of you. Some people were confused as to why I wasn't drinking but would shrug it off, while others took it as a personal affront, while some others simply joked, "What, are you pregnant?" It was quite the social experiment. These reactions seemed extreme to me, since I'm an introvert and only drank maybe 2-3 times per week. I can't imagine the social upheaval one might feel if they were a more frequent drinker.

The other part that was difficult was I hadn't identified how many triggers were in my life. Had a bad day at work? That deserves a drink. Had something fantastic happen at work? Celebrate with a drink. Is it a beautiful evening? Grill and have a drink. Is it Thirsty Thursday? Happy hour with coworkers. Is it a Friday/Saturday evening and you get to sleep in tomorrow? May has well have a few. While one might not partake in each situation, once you stop drinking, you realize how often your mind goes there. I wouldn't even label myself anything close to an alcoholic, but the constant triggers, especially in weeks one and two, were quite chilling. You realize that habitual drinking essentially turns you into one of Pavlov's Dogs.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 06:30:00 AM »
I've experienced this. I was a pretty heavy social drinker, and responded to all the triggers below. :) Initially I got a decent amount of shit from my drinking pals but I also noticed that others weren't drinking quite as much as I thought they were - so it went both ways. I did some thinking of quick and easy ways to deflect questions and read up on how others "blended in" during social drinking situations and it was super helpful.

Speaking of helpful:

Reading Annie Grace's book was fantastic and I was immediately reprogrammed. I also listen to her podcast ( a bit repetitive but the messages are important), checked out the Hip Sobriety podcast, read the Easy Way to Control alcohol by Alan Carr, and I've lightly listened to a lot of different podcasts on the topic. I've found books that have more of a "how to" angle instead stories of addiction with some recovery weaved in.

I'm at 68 days without alcohol right now and based on my previous consumption my app tells me I've NOT consumed 200 drinks, an additional 20,000 calories and saved roughly $800 (though, I'm pretty sure this isn't the mustachian standard for drinking) - either way, it is substantial! I'm down about 13 pounds, but I've been lifting too so likely have put some muscle on.

I quit drinking for a few months a couple of years ago for health and wealth reasons. I found the most difficult part was reprogramming other people's expectations of you. Some people were confused as to why I wasn't drinking but would shrug it off, while others took it as a personal affront, while some others simply joked, "What, are you pregnant?" It was quite the social experiment. These reactions seemed extreme to me, since I'm an introvert and only drank maybe 2-3 times per week. I can't imagine the social upheaval one might feel if they were a more frequent drinker.

The other part that was difficult was I hadn't identified how many triggers were in my life. Had a bad day at work? That deserves a drink. Had something fantastic happen at work? Celebrate with a drink. Is it a beautiful evening? Grill and have a drink. Is it Thirsty Thursday? Happy hour with coworkers. Is it a Friday/Saturday evening and you get to sleep in tomorrow? May has well have a few. While one might not partake in each situation, once you stop drinking, you realize how often your mind goes there. I wouldn't even label myself anything close to an alcoholic, but the constant triggers, especially in weeks one and two, were quite chilling. You realize that habitual drinking essentially turns you into one of Pavlov's Dogs.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 06:46:49 AM »
Speaking of triggers:

I've been really depressed about my job lately (but even a little alcohol depresses me, so I hope this gets better), and last night I found myself feeling shitty about it and stuffing cereal into my pie hole when I wasn't even really hungry. I'm hoping to be mindful of how I might be replacing alcohol with other stuff that's bad in its own way. Anybody else dealing with this?

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 07:17:52 AM »
Yes! The trigger never changes, just the response to the trigger. I've swapped in an unhealthy dose of sugar at times (but not always), the key, in this moment where you are feeling depressed is to swap in a different response. I've heard people going for a quick, brisk walk, bike ride, or even 10 minutes of jumping jacks is enough to shake it.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 07:39:34 AM »
This reminds me of a book I recently read (or mostly read) called the Power of Habit in which the author says that the way to get around bad habits is to recognize the cue and the reward feeling it leads to, but change the middle part, how you get to the reward. So you feel stressed about work, have a drink, feel relaxed. Of course, the drink part comes with stuff we don't like (headache, depression, expense) so we need to replace the middle part of this cycle (the drink) with something else--jumping jacks (sorry, no thanks!) or meditation or a hike with the dog or whatever. Stupid simple, yet profound, I think, because it's a way of letting yourself off the hook for feeling the cue feeling in the first place. It's okay to feel unhappy or stressed, but the key is to stop and think about what you do to get to the reward/relief stage.

I am not there just yet!

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 07:49:55 AM »
I read the book too. :) The framework has supported a lot of big changes I've made over the past year. Hope you can get there!

This reminds me of a book I recently read (or mostly read) called the Power of Habit in which the author says that the way to get around bad habits is to recognize the cue and the reward feeling it leads to, but change the middle part, how you get to the reward. So you feel stressed about work, have a drink, feel relaxed. Of course, the drink part comes with stuff we don't like (headache, depression, expense) so we need to replace the middle part of this cycle (the drink) with something else--jumping jacks (sorry, no thanks!) or meditation or a hike with the dog or whatever. Stupid simple, yet profound, I think, because it's a way of letting yourself off the hook for feeling the cue feeling in the first place. It's okay to feel unhappy or stressed, but the key is to stop and think about what you do to get to the reward/relief stage.

I am not there just yet!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 03:28:30 PM »

I've been thinking about this [and other "treats"] a lot recently and realised that we tend to do what Dan Ariely describes in Dollars & Sense as opening a new budget for each. So the Wednesday drinks/fancy cheese/takeaway/bit of chocolate in the afternoon are held as separate and apart from the Friday pub lunch/muffins that someone brought in/pizza for dinner AND the Saturday BBQ Beer with friends/packet of chips/let's go get gelato because its sunny.

It's not until you put them all into the same group that you realise exactly how much you are 'spending' in the aggregate.
The urge for a reward is not a *bad* thing, but sometimes you need to reexamine what reward would work and what you could change so you don't feel the urge or a reward so often.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 06:21:08 PM »
I've been struggling.  I find myself getting into a bad habit of stopping for drinks after work ... to deal with work stress, life stress, etc.
Maybe I'm a functional alcoholic???

I recognize the cost and the bad parts but, after work I often get into that "I don't give a shit" frame of mind since ....  I just spent 8+ hours of my life
working for MegaCorp doing absolutely BS tasks.  The stuff I do is an insult to intelligence.
Yet, it pays well so I go on. 

Thus, the lure of alcohol at the end of the day to anesthesize my apparently inflated sense of self-worth.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 06:44:19 PM »
It was ritual here. Now we drink sleepy time tea after the kids are in bed, instead of a few glasses of wine. I sleep better & wake more refreshed.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 06:54:13 PM »
I'm joining. I'm about to begin my first IVF cycle, after exhausting less invasive options to deal with my infertility. I gave up drinking several times throughout this process, but always came back to it, generally after a particularly crushing negative cycle or major diagnosis. That makes it sound like it was for the emotional crutch, and surely that's part of it, but more than anything is I think it's been an indicator of normalcy for me. My husband and I enjoy drinking, the flavor, the ritual of it all, and it's that feeling of "a nice evening at home" I wanted back more than anything.

Still, alcohol interferes with the liver's role in excreting estrogen, and that's pretty important to keep at healthy levels for me right now. Plus, once I'm on the actual stims protocol, you can't drink at that time. We'll likely be doing several egg retrievals in a row, so it's not like pregnancy is the consideration, just overall health and lessening medication side effects.

Not sure how long we'll be sans alcohol. So far I'm on day... 5 I think. Last drink was a cider on Sunday. At this point, the cost panic of IVF is helping with non drinking compliance, since it made up a major budget item for us ($100-200/month).

Will be glad to have a community going through the non-drinking as well!

Alternatives:
We tend to opt for sparkling mineral water and bitters and/or juices mixed in. We have a soda stream (indefinitely on loan from my MIL), and we add trace minerals drops to get that nice mineral water flavor. Our current juice is tart cherry, although we also like grapefruit and the "super 7 juice" from trader joe's.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 07:53:04 PM »
For me it's the cycle of negative energy from work each day.  I have counseling sessions booked and that may help.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 02:29:24 AM »
Highly recommend.  If you need any help, just send me all yer booze

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 09:48:44 AM »
We cut completely for the month of February, and most of March. By third week of March, we shared a box o' wine with FIL after a family wedding. It was meh. I only had two glasses, two nights. Last weekend we had a bit of beer with our barbecue.
So now I'm trying to figure out if I will drink at all, or if it is a moderation/only on weekends, but not every weekend.

I was relieved upon quitting in February that it was easy to quit. While habit - a martini while prepping dinner, then wine to celebrate kids in bed- daily- when we resolved to take a month off, I felt no physical discomfort and really, no mental anguish either. Subbing the hot tea is nice because it takes care of the ritual portion. While I kiss the kids goodnight, DH brews the tea. We settle in to watch TRMS, sip tea, and discuss current events.

I estimate we saved $200-$230 per month of not drinking,  although our tea and honey expenditures have increased.

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 07:08:14 PM »
I gave up alcohol for February (except for one day, when I got married), and about half of March. I loved it: I saved so much money, lost weight, and seemed to sleep better. Now that I've reintroduced alcohol in my life I find I can only really have a drink or two before I stop enjoying the sensation. I have a goal to never have a hangover again, and so far I've stuck to that. I find pressure from family is actually worse than my friends. When I was visiting the in-laws over Easter they would open beers for me even after I said several times I didn't want one.

I think this thread will inspire me to cut down even further!

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 07:26:07 AM »
Update from me, I'm at 76 days without a drink and rocking. My energy levels are higher than they have been for a decade. I'm down 15 pounds. Now using the extra time/money I would have spent on booze, bars, and subsequent restaurants to workout more, finish long unfinished projects, read, relax, and spend more quality time with my family.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 07:39:16 AM »
Today I'm at 14 days no drinking. I did have a sip of wine my brother offered for me to try when we were out for a celebratory family dinner. I still count that as a victory, since I didn't get a drink at all while there. (And frankly, the wine was very thin and watery, so I didn't bother with much of a sip!)

Update from me, I'm at 76 days without a drink and rocking. My energy levels are higher than they have been for a decade. I'm down 15 pounds. Now using the extra time/money I would have spent on booze, bars, and subsequent restaurants to workout more, finish long unfinished projects, read, relax, and spend more quality time with my family.

Great update!

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 07:51:45 AM »

That is fantastic!
Congratulations.  Keep it up.

Greyweld

• Pencil Stache
  • Get healthy, save money, kick ass
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 08:19:43 AM »
I stopped drinking yesterday. I plan to do at least a month. So May 16 is my first possible end date benchmark.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2018, 04:30:18 AM »
I stopped drinking yesterday. I plan to do at least a month. So May 16 is my first possible end date benchmark.
Greyweld,  how's it coming?

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 05:55:31 AM »
I gave up booze April 19 2004. My life looks nothing like it did 14 years ago. Back then I had what one would consider a successful career, lots of toys, and shiny things. Inside I was dying. So I made a decision. I dug my way out of debt, fired last year and in 2 weeks am selling my house in HCOL buying my smaller dream place in LCOL area. It's a new freedom. My overall well being has a 100% of it's cylinders firing so I can navigate challenges because in life that happens. Now I have a better chance of making healthy decisions and live in the solution.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 06:43:23 AM »
I am in! I did the 30 day alcohol experiment on the Annie Grace website, thanks for that link.
I read the book also, just the first 30 pages were enough to wake me up. I really like the support of the daily videos. I am on day 12 and I really do not think I will go back to drinking after the 30 days, I want to enjoy my retirement, not drink my way through.
I thought I was doing OK at 30 beers a month, that was my moderation amount, but I wold slip frequently. I have tried to take a break from drinking in the past and only made it to 3 weeks, then caved and I also  did  crave alcohol  the entire time.  This Annie Grace method, I felt different from day one. Now that I look at alcohol like a poison or an addicting substance ( like crack) then I have more power to say no to alcohol.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:10:37 PM by BikeFanatic »

Greyweld

• Pencil Stache
  • Get healthy, save money, kick ass
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 10:38:50 AM »
Greyweld,  how's it coming?

So far so good! Haven't had anything since the 16th, so in a couple days I'll be a week in. It actually helps that I have a cold. I have no desire to drink when I'm sick.

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »
Zero alcohol for eleven years...and not much before that.
Eleven years ago I ended up hospitalized for severe acute pancreatitis.  Idiopathic in nature...not alcohol induced.  Hospital for 16 days, no food by mouth for two months.  Death was a strong possibility...there is nothing a doctor can do to help you through this.  Very scary.
All my doctors said I should never touch alcohol.  Ever.  So I didn’t.  I have had no recurrence.
I feel totally blessed to have lived through that and I will never take it for granted.  Alcohol is not needed and I quite like not drinking.  Always hated losing control too...

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 11:15:08 AM »
Dropped in to this thread curious about the stories.  @Bendigirl, saddened that you underwent such a frightening experience, but glad that you got something good from it.  Keep on keepin' on!

Giving up the hooch was one of the life decisions I am glad I made.  Didn't make me Mr. Magic Superachiever, but then again, I haven't come close to killing several people at once with my car since stopped either.  20 years and counting. 

Much respect to every person on this thread.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 12:00:47 PM »
I am at 3 weeks tomorrow! Inspired by the others, I know i have saved alot of money already. I just came back from Lunch out and resisted the impulse to drink, was fine with my Virgin Mary! It is nice to realize I can enjoy my friends comapny at a bar with or without a drink.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2018, 12:12:36 PM »
As a mom of two toddlers, my sleep routine has been completely ruined over the past four years. In an effort to be sensible and do all I can to improve the sleep situation, I'm playing with the idea of giving up all drinking at home. There's one date my husband and I love going on about every other month that involves a happy hour. Can't give that up. But the rest of the wine habit--the glass after dinner while the kids are in bed most notably--I'm going to ditch this month (May). We went to Target yesterday and didn't buy a box of wine, even though it was on sale.

We'll see what happens. I'm hoping to notice an uptick in sleep quality, a downtick in grocery spending, and a downtick in weight gain.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2018, 04:17:12 PM »
I quit drinking when my kids were small because it wasn’t adding anything to my life and I wanted to be fully present for them. When they grew up I started to drink occasionally but it is easy to let it become a habit. Just read the book and it was excellent and a different way of thinking about the issue.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 08:49:58 PM »
I can commit to not drinking at home except when I am hosting friends. I track my drinking daily and aim to keep at 5 glasses of wine or less a week. I’ve done months off before but I’m off to Europe and then it’s rose season. I wil probably take September off.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2018, 07:03:50 PM »
105 days without a sip as of today, what's it looking like for those of you that came to play?

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2018, 08:52:06 PM »
36 days for me! I'm having an easy time of it, my spouse is on board and I have non alcohol beer to get me through the difficult times. I feel great and have a lot more energy.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2018, 12:22:30 AM »
I am joining in.  I did no alcohol for the last week of April and first week of May, but just spent the last week at the in-laws and ruined it all!

My goal is to have none right up until my sister's wedding when I will share in a toast to them (or perhaps by then I won't want to?)  That gives me approximately 6 weeks.

The hardest part is going to be that the weather just got great, and drinks, patios and bbq's seem to go hand in hand. I will take it one week at a time, starting tomorrow (as I had 2 beers today.)

Please help keep me accountable (either here or in my Journal.)  Thanks

highlandterrier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2018, 03:05:38 AM »
Like @Bendigirl I too gave up alcohol after acute pancreatitis, although again cause was not alcohol related.

Much easier than I expected, although I have a heck of an incentive! As some have said the strangest thing is other people's reactions. Good friends can treat you differently until you tell them to get over themselves. Not trying to get you to drink, just acting odd.

There are also a lot of very good alcohol free beers on the market if you like that kind of thing. Also makes it more socially acceptable if you are feeling peer pressure (I don't, going through serious illness has many positives including getting your priorities straight!). 

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2018, 03:47:38 AM »
I highly recommend Annie Grace book and Web site called this naked mind. Very helpful,  I had an attitude adjustment after the first 30 pages. I had tried to moderate in the past and failed, she says that you just have to think about alcohol as a drug. She has free podcasts online also.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2018, 03:48:39 AM »
Oh and I will be here rooting for you!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2018, 04:48:43 AM »
Congratulations to everyone that is sticking to this challenge.

I only drank for a brief period when I was 21-22 years old. It’s been close to 15 years since I’ve consumed any alcohol. I never really found any drinks I like and always felt terrible for a few days after drinking enough to get drunk. I found not drinking to be pretty easy since my urge to avoid unnecessary discomfort trumped my urge to fit in at social gatherings.

The longer you go without drinking, the more normal it will feel for you and the people around you who do still drink. You don’t have to feel bad or justify your decision for not drinking when other people are.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2018, 07:48:27 AM »
Thinking about joining - I only drink on Friday/Saturday nights and only 1-2 drinks on those nights.  But I've been feeling controlled by it even at those amounts.  I don't like feeling controlled by anything.

Also, have a daughter with anxiety and I need to show her healthy ways to manage.  I'm also starting a new career in the fall that could be stressful and I need some healthy habits established before then.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2018, 08:04:36 AM »
I highly recommend Annie Grace book and Web site called this naked mind. Very helpful,  I had an attitude adjustment after the first 30 pages. I had tried to moderate in the past and failed, she says that you just have to think about alcohol as a drug. She has free podcasts online also.
She also as a 30 day challenge that is super useful, you register and it comes with motivation, regular emails and tons of education. Includes a Facebook group that is great for accountability and a peer group.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2018, 08:19:02 AM »
So, I'm only a few days out from my surgery. In the lead up time, I have had one mixed drink, and 3 small beers. (So, I think 4 drinks in like 45 days?)  Considering I'm normally a 1-2 drinks (usually wine) 4-5 days a week type lady, this is a big change. It's likely I'll roll straight from this surgery into another cycle+surgery. I think I'm going to give myself one week off, to eat whatever I want, have some drinks, and take a break from all my non-essential meds, and then I'll get back to it.

Glad to hear everyone who is trying to give up drinking is doing well with it.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2018, 09:59:39 AM »
I've been booze free since the day I posted here, with the exception of last night, when DH and I went on our once/month date and visited our favorite bar. That's the one occasion I'm not willing to give up. Other than that, no hooch for me. Sleep is mildly improved, I think. Grocery budget noticeably dipping. Waistline maybe dipping, a little? At least not gaining?

drumstache

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2018, 03:07:14 PM »
I'm in.  I am doing the 30 day experiment, on Day 5.   No issues so far, made through a weekend of no drinking for the first time in years.

One downside, i miscalculated my days.  I have a Cabin Trip with some friends that starts on my 23rd day of the experiment.  This is a yearly event with my guy friends, which involves a LOT of drinking, poker playing, shenanigans, etc.  Wondering if I should bail on the trip, or make up some sort of minor health ailment, to explain why I'm not drinking...Hmmm not sure.  Guess we'll see how im feeling closer to the date.

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2018, 03:23:33 PM »
Following. I'm pretty naturally temperate and have gotten some flak about it from heavy drinkers in my family and friend circle. I like hearing the good reasons not to drink.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2018, 03:32:25 PM »
Drumstache wrote
Wondering if I should bail on the trip, or make up some sort of minor health ailment, to explain why I'm not drinking...Hmmm not sure.  Guess we'll see how im feeling closer to the date.

I am on day 42, six weeks. I do feel great. I found Annie Grace book very helpful. I have had several episodes lately where I want to drink again, less motivated now. I really want to see what life is like without drinking for at least six months. The temptations have been being at a bar and draft beer available. Also on vacation and draft beer everywhere. I could not resist if I went to a cabin in the woods with a bunch of  drinking buddies, that I would avoid. You may be stronger than I; I do tell people I quit Alcohol, for a while anyway,  and that does help me to resist as I do not want to go against what I just boldly proclaimed. I also have a spouse that Quit with me, this does help the motivation ( and a co worker also who is "quitting" temporally with me). My big motivators are my health, I definitely  feel more energized and have been biking more.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2018, 03:54:09 PM »
Drumstache wrote
Wondering if I should bail on the trip, or make up some sort of minor health ailment, to explain why I'm not drinking...Hmmm not sure.  Guess we'll see how im feeling closer to the date.

I am on day 42, six weeks. I do feel great. I found Annie Grace book very helpful. I have had several episodes lately where I want to drink again, less motivated now. I really want to see what life is like without drinking for at least six months. The temptations have been being at a bar and draft beer available. Also on vacation and draft beer everywhere. I could not resist if I went to a cabin in the woods with a bunch of  drinking buddies, that I would avoid. You may be stronger than I; I do tell people I quit Alcohol, for a while anyway,  and that does help me to resist as I do not want to go against what I just boldly proclaimed. I also have a spouse that Quit with me, this does help the motivation ( and a co worker also who is "quitting" temporally with me). My big motivators are my health, I definitely  feel more energized and have been biking more.
I would definitely avoid a weekend of poker and booze! I don't think the first thirty days would hold up to that test for me.

My spouse also joined in initially but she is back to drinking occasionally, which has been fine for me thus far. Quitting has already been the impetus for so many great changes in my life, it would be silly to think it would be worth a night of being buzzed to lose that and whatever is next to come!

Love hearing everyone's updates, keep them coming!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2018, 02:56:12 AM »
I'm on a one-month no-alcohol challenge!

Started on May 28th and want to keep it up until at least June 28th.

Doing fine so far. I'll keep you posted!

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2018, 06:27:55 AM »
I'm on a one-month no-alcohol challenge!

Started on May 28th and want to keep it up until at least June 28th.

Doing fine so far. I'll keep you posted!
The first couple days were tough for me, power through!