Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 310309 times)

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #850 on: March 30, 2021, 04:08:48 PM »
Just posting to say "hey" -- somehow, I've never seen this thread before.  I've been booze free for over 14 years -- it'll be 15 in a couple of weeks if I don't do anything crazy.  It's great to see the support on this thread!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #851 on: March 30, 2021, 05:43:20 PM »
I did my taxes today and had to pay a not entirely unexpected huge bill plus a fine for an error that I made last year. It was an unpleasant reminder of how bad my cognitive impairment gets when I'm stressed. This is the first day since quitting drinking 3 months ago that it feels odd not to be washing the stress away with a bottle of wine. I don't miss the wine so much as the mental off-switch. I'm even on a low-carb diet to help address a mold allergy, so I can't even fall back on carbs. I'll make it, but today's a tough day.

On the plus side, the mold remediation guy came by today and said that I had already fixed the problem, so that's nice.

Whenever I think I miss the mental "off switch", I remind myself that it never actually switched anything off, it just made feeling awful feel more acceptable.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #852 on: March 30, 2021, 07:16:26 PM »
I don’t miss feeling tired and zoned out.

Billy B. Good

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #853 on: March 30, 2021, 11:38:23 PM »
This thread is making me think my case of beer every couple days is a lot.

Stubblestache

• Stubble
« Reply #854 on: March 31, 2021, 02:01:45 AM »
Stubblestache, that’s really great!!  I didn’t start drinking until I was 50 and it was a big mistake. Before I drank people frequently thought I was 15 years younger than I am. Drinking definitely didn’t do me any favors in any regard. It’s been 8 months for me.

Thank you. In lots of ways, I'm very glad I found drink so early when people (and my body) were much more forgiving of my screw ups. If I started drinking as a proper adult now, and got the taste for it I did when I was young, I have no doubt at all that I would completely destroy my life and be pretty unstoppable in doing so. So, bloody well done to you for recognising it and getting on top of it!

Stubblestache

• Stubble
« Reply #855 on: March 31, 2021, 02:24:05 AM »

For me, it's about the reasons behind drinking rather than any absolute amount. I've known people who drank every week night at work functions for years, and then had absolutely no problem stopping for a long period or even for good in some cases.

I've always drunk to escape myself, even when i was drinking during good times and celebrations, so even if I was just to drink only one beer a week, it would be with the intent of getting out of my own brain. The number of times I've chugged that first beer in a few gulps just to get the effect as quickly as possible so I can then actually 'enjoy' the remaining beers are countless.

Because of that, I've long needed to cut it out. So, I guess ask yourself whether that case of beer is used to help you hide from problems in your life, a current situation or dealing with past traumas. If you are using it in that way, then yeah, it probably is a lot.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #856 on: March 31, 2021, 05:41:38 AM »
Just putting this out there in case it's helpful to anyone.

When I first got sober (age 29), I found the support and structure of a 12 step program extremely helpful.  Much like this forum, having a group of people who I could be honest with who had a lot of the same experiences (at least in terms of how they felt about things, if not in the details) was very helpful.  I went in as an athiest, and while I wouldn't use that word the same way today, I still don't really believe in god in any conventional sense.  I say that because the fact that I didn't believe in god kept me out of AA for two years, because I was so sure it wouldn't work for me.  Turns out, as long as I was willing to be open to the idea that I didn't know everything, and take suggestions from someone who had drank like I drank and was now living not only sober but happily (for the most part), it worked.

After 6 or 7 years, though, I started to get a little antsy.  While neither were crippling, I was struggling with anxiety and depression, despite everything on the outside being good (house, job, married, etc.).  Around that time, my wife and I joined a Buddhist community. I was still pretty anti-religion and was skeptical, but as a non-12-stepper, she wanted a shared spiritual vocabulary for our family as we were starting to think about having a kid.  Meditation has really helped.  For the past 8 years or so, I've gotten increasingly into it.  I've done a number of courses and retreats and have found a lot of benefit from it.  As is said -- alcohol is but a symptom.  I drank because I didn't like the way I felt.  And when I stopped drinking, I used other things (healthier things, but still) to make bad feelings go away.  Meditation showed me another way -- a way of acceptance and understanding, of looking into the real nature of things (including thoughts and feelings) in a way that provides real serenity.  It has also made it much easier for me to see when I start going down some thought rabbit hole that is going to lead me some place lousy.

So if you've never tried it, give it a shot.  I find it easier to do with a group.  Specifically around recovery, there's a group called Meditation in Recovery that I sometimes join. 

Here's one: https://www.floridamindfulness.org/page-1861285
And here's another: https://www.sfzc.org/practice-centers/city-center/zen-meditation-practice-city-center/practice-groups-city-center/meditation-in-recovery

There's also Recovery Dharma and there are 11th step meetings (aka meditation meetings) in many places.

Oh, and just to be clear, I don't mean to imply that I "graduated" from 12 step recovery.  I recently moved to Canada, and I joined a homegroup up here.  It continues to be a great way to make sure my head remains mostly straight, and also provides an opportunity to try to help other folks.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 06:08:49 AM by FLBiker »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #857 on: March 31, 2021, 07:16:49 AM »

For me, it's about the reasons behind drinking rather than any absolute amount. I've known people who drank every week night at work functions for years, and then had absolutely no problem stopping for a long period or even for good in some cases.

I've always drunk to escape myself, even when i was drinking during good times and celebrations, so even if I was just to drink only one week, it would be with the intent of getting out of my own brain. The number of times I've chugged that first beer in a few gulps just to get the effect as quickly as possible so I can then actually 'enjoy' the remaining beers are countless.

Because of that, I've long needed to cut it out. So, I guess ask yourself whether that case of beer is used to help you hide from problems in your life, a current situation or dealing with past traumas. If you are using it in that way, then yeah, it probably is a lot.

Funny, thanks to all of the reading I've done, I've become very skeptical of anyone who claims to not have an issue with alcohol, but who takes long breaks from it. If the person feels the need to take long breaks from it, then it's probably because they feel like they are developing/have developed a drinking problem. Few brains can be exposed to alcohol nightly and not develop dependence. Ethanol is a highly addictive drug, enough exposure will create addiction.

Self medicating is definitely a sure fire sign of addiction, but it's not the only path to it.

The question though is if the person is managing their low level addiction well. So if someone is drinking socially every day after work, but managing to not let it progress further, either through having strict drinking limits or taking regular long breaks, then that's great that they are managing low level addiction, but they're still addicted and very vulnerable to it getting worse in times of extreme stress.

It's not that I don't think that people can drink responsibly, obviously they can. It's the same way that I know occasional cocaine users who have never used it more than once a month. Respecting the highly addictive nature of the substance is key. Where people get into trouble is deluding ourselves that for some irrational reason that defies science, that we're not getting addicted to an addictive substances through "moderate" levels of use.

@Billy B. Good, a case of beer every few days does sound like a lot of alcohol to be consuming regularly if what you are trying to avoid is addiction and damage to your system. Is it a lot compared to other regular drinkers, I don't know, depends on whether it's a 6 pack or a 24, and what "every few days" means, but it sounds like drinking pretty much daily, and that is enough for addiction, and likely enough to be beyond the "safe" limits for avoiding damage to your body.

Now, does that mean you should freak out and quit? Not at all.
A lot of people live perfectly functional lives being addicted to things. A lot of prescription medications are addictive. However, just like addictive prescriptions, you have to be cautious and realistic about the daily consumption of addictive substances. You have to be vigilant.

So it really comes down to your willingness to be voluntarily addicted to something. If you are okay with whatever level of addiction your consumption produces, and you're able to be vigilant and conscientious about how that might manifest under times of increased stress, and you're okay with the degree of damage it has on your body, then that's fine. It's your body, your mind, and only you can know what you are willing to tolerate.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #858 on: March 31, 2021, 07:38:25 AM »
Saturday will make the one year anniversary of the death of a dear friend.  We had many boozy meals with her over the years.  She was a home economist and her career was in recipe development and testing.  She was really into wine and other beverages. Now, in hindsight, I think she was a functional alcoholic. I am thinking about how we honour the anniversary in a way that is respectful to memory and my new reality as a person who doesn't enjoy alcohol anymore. 

What is astonishing to me is how much there is for me to unpack.  But I am also feeling in such a good place that I have the capacity to contemplate unpacking it. 

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #859 on: March 31, 2021, 07:40:32 AM »
Funny, thanks to all of the reading I've done, I've become very skeptical of anyone who claims to not have an issue with alcohol, but who takes long breaks from it. If the person feels the need to take long breaks from it, then it's probably because they feel like they are developing/have developed a drinking problem.

That jibes with my experience as well -- "normal" folks (meaning non-addicts) don't tend to think about controlling their drinking.  They just do it.  My wife is like that.  A few weekends ago she went to an online baby shower and had a glass of wine (opening a bottle that she'd been given for Christmas by a neighbor).  To me, if I had a glass of wine at 2 PM, it would be an absolute test of willpower (one that I would almost certainly fail) to NOT continue drinking for the rest of the day.  My wife, on the other hand, had a glass and put the rest of the bottle in the fridge without a second thought.  It took her a few weeks to finish that bottle.  Can not relate. :)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #860 on: March 31, 2021, 08:38:17 AM »
Flbiker, both my mom and my last 2 ex husband’s were like your wife. Those are people with zero problems with alcohol.

Billy B. Good

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #861 on: March 31, 2021, 09:19:44 AM »

I've always drunk to escape myself, even when i was drinking during good times and celebrations, so even if I was just to drink only one beer a week, it would be with the intent of getting out of my own brain. The number of times I've chugged that first beer in a few gulps just to get the effect as quickly as possible so I can then actually 'enjoy' the remaining beers are countless.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I think the main word that comes to mind as relates to my drinking is "boredom." I spend a significant amount of time feeling bored out of my skull. Probably need to figure that out.

TrMama

« Reply #862 on: March 31, 2021, 09:45:56 AM »

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I think the main word that comes to mind as relates to my drinking is "boredom." I spend a significant amount of time feeling bored out of my skull. Probably need to figure that out.

I was also someone who could have one drink and then not have another for weeks. Rarely, I'd have 2 drinks in a day and could measure the last time I'd been drunk in decades. I never, ever  considered myself someone who had a problem with alcohol. I quit drinking entirely as an experiment to see if it would help a health problem even though my cardiologist had said my level of consumption was too tiny to be a factor.

I was totally shocked to discover that I had in fact been drinking to numb difficult feelings. When suddenly I didn't have the pressure release valve of booze I had to actually feel my bad feelings and deal with them. Let me tell you that was an unpleasant discovery. However, cutting out booze also significantly helped my arrhythmia so I stuck with it and learned to process my feelings better. Even though my heart has now been surgically fixed I have no desire to ever drink again.

If you're really drinking 24 beers every few days, that's quite a lot. Even just looking at it from a physical health point of view you're putting yourself at significant risk of cancer and heart problems. Try cutting back and see how you feel. Treat it as an experiment and be open to exploring how it changes your life. If you're bored, try to replace drinking with a healthier activity.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #863 on: March 31, 2021, 10:35:10 AM »
Yes I had to find something to do for the hours I spent drinking which started at 5pm. Now I read, knit while watching tv, talk on the phone to a friend, go somewhere, etc.  I also drank out of boredom.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #864 on: March 31, 2021, 10:40:24 AM »

I used to think I drank to relieve boredom, until I was honest with myself that after 20 minutes of starting to drink, I was still as bored as ever. I was just bored and drinking.

Drinking doesn't make you less bored, it just kills your motivation to do anything about it. Just as it doesn't lower your stress, it just makes you more comfortable with being stressed.

Alcohol doesn't improve anything about your state of mind, it just makes it much, much easier to stay miserable than to actually improve your life.

Billy B. Good

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #865 on: April 01, 2021, 12:03:04 PM »
I had an experience with cigarettes almost 6 years ago that made me give them up completely, cold turkey, and I have not had the least desire to smoke a cigarette since. I still like the smell of cigarettes wafting through the open air outside, but not even that triggers in me a desire to smoke cigarettes. I'm going to tell the story. It might be tedious to some, but I am going to tell it because I am looking for a similar experience that will eliminate my desire to drink alcohol.

For about 15 years I was a pack a day smoker. I was anti-smoking until I started going with a girl who smoked. Little by little I started taking up her smoking habit. No coincidence, I suppose, that we were drinking pals too. Long story short on that relationship, it didn't last. But I carried the smoking habit forward with me. Eventually I became a pack a day smoker, roughly, and if I went out drinking in the evening I could easily smoke another whole pack in one evening over beers.

Now, cigarettes are expensive in the USA. I don't know what they cost now, but at that time they were about $5 to $7 a pack where I lived. But then I conveniently moved to a place in South America where cigarettes cost less than $1 per pack. So my tightwad instincts, which were always needling me about the financial cost of the cigarette habit, were no longer activated as motivation to quit smoking.

About 6 years ago I was in the USA and visiting a friend for a few days. We were out drinking beer (of course), and when we got back to his house we sat outside on the pool deck to have another beer or two before retiring. As we were drinking and talking I lit up a cigarette just as naturally as you please, just as natural as the 10 or 12 others I had smoked in his presence throughout the evening. As the lighter went out and I blew out the first drag, my friend looked at me and said, "You know, Billy, you look absolutely ridiculous with that cigarette in your mouth. Do you know what a fool you like holding that thing, sticking it in your mouth and breathing the smoke?" I was stunned. I had, and still have, great respect, admiration and affection for this friend. We've been good friends since high school, college roommates, adult bosom buddies. And he had just made me feel as low as a worm.

I had heard all the anti-smoking stuff before and I knew all the downsides. I knew smoking was bad and I had quit for short spells over the years, even months at a time, but I always had an excuse to light up again. But this was the first time I had ever been told that my smoking made me look like a ridiculous fool. Maybe it was the insult to my vanity/appearance, but that remark cut me to the quick. In that same conversation my friend suggested that if I really was that addicted to the nicotine dose, then I should at least try vaping so I wouldn't be getting all the carbon monoxide and other nastiness of the cigarette smoke.

We carried on with our delightful visit. My friend, his lovely wife and their six kids (that house is a three-ring circus) all showed me a great time. And I even smoked a few more cigarettes over those next two days while a guest in their house. But that remark my friend made about me looking like a ridiculous fool with the cigarette in my mouth never left my thoughts. At the end of that visit I drove three hours to stay with my brother.

It just so happens there was a vape shop about three blocks from my brother's house. So I, still thinking about my friend's cutting remark, went to the vape shop to get a vaper and give it a try. I thought I would walk in, pick up a vape thingy (I knew nothing about it), and use that to replace my cigarettes. When I went in, though, it was like I was going in for a medical appointment, filling out forms on a clip board and everything. Then I consulted with the guy and he asked me about 40 questions - what do you smoke? what brand? how much? what time of day? do you burn them down to the filter? and on and on. I've had shorter consults with my proctologist. (Just kidding, I've never been to a proctologist. But you get my point.) At the end, about $25 later, I walked out with equipment and supplies to become a vaper and, hopefully, no longer a smoker of cigarettes.

So I went back to my brother's house and got my vaping gear set up. I thought, "This is great. I no longer have to go outside to get my nicotine dose because this is just odorless water vapor going into the air, not cigarette smoke, so I can do it right here while sitting at the dining room table. Much more convenient."

So I started vaping. And vaping. And vaping. And vaping some more. After about one day of this, and still continually thinking of my friend's cutting remark, I asked myself how ridiculous I must look as a nicotine addict tethered to this stupid little toy designed to inject fast-acting chemicals into my lungs so they can be immediately transmitted to my brain so that I can.....what??  Immediately want more? This is bullshit."

After entertaining that last thought for a long while I stuffed the nicotine injection toy and accoutrements into my travel bag and refused to inject any more nicotine into my system, be it from a vaping toy or cigarettes. Since that moment, on 5 September 2015, I have not had the least desire to smoke a cigarette, or vape.

They say vaping can help people stop smoking cigarettes. It certainly helped me, though not in the way the vape purveyors advertise. When it came time for me to pack up to go back to South America after my visit north, I found the vaping equipment, took it out of my bag, and tossed in the bathroom trash can. Looking back, that may be the best $25 I ever spent.

On September 5 every year I remind my friend that he was the inspiration for me to break a long-standing and highly addictive cigarette habit, and I thank him for caring enough about me to speak to me with such direct, unadorned truth. He takes no credit, of course, and just tells me he is glad I did it. "You'll live longer," he says. I hope so. Because since then I have gotten married and have two young kids of my own.

Now, I am looking for that wake up moment with regard to my consumption of alcohol. My life is great. My wife and kids are great. Career, money, etc., all great. I enjoy many blessings. But I drink too much beer. Lately I find myself wondering a lot about how much better, life could be without beer or any alcohol at all. Or if not better then maybe just different. What will I do with my time and energy if I am not drinking beer?

I am going to give it a 30-day try for the month of April. I'm glad I found this thread. And it makes me happy to see so many of you making strides toward your goals.

Month of April. Dry. Wish me luck! 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #866 on: April 01, 2021, 12:07:12 PM »
I had an experience with cigarettes almost 6 years ago that made me give them up completely, cold turkey, and I have not had the least desire to smoke a cigarette since. I still like the smell of cigarettes wafting through the open air outside, but not even that triggers in me a desire to smoke cigarettes. I'm going to tell the story. It might be tedious to some, but I am going to tell it because I am looking for a similar experience that will eliminate my desire to drink alcohol.

For about 15 years I was a pack a day smoker. I was anti-smoking until I started going with a girl who smoked. Little by little I started taking up her smoking habit. No coincidence, I suppose, that we were drinking pals too. Long story short on that relationship, it didn't last. But I carried the smoking habit forward with me. Eventually I became a pack a day smoker, roughly, and if I went out drinking in the evening I could easily smoke another whole pack in one evening over beers.

Now, cigarettes are expensive in the USA. I don't know what they cost now, but at that time they were about $5 to $7 a pack where I lived. But then I conveniently moved to a place in South America where cigarettes cost less than $1 per pack. So my tightwad instincts, which were always needling me about the financial cost of the cigarette habit, were no longer activated as motivation to quit smoking.

About 6 years ago I was in the USA and visiting a friend for a few days. We were out drinking beer (of course), and when we got back to his house we sat outside on the pool deck to have another beer or two before retiring. As we were drinking and talking I lit up a cigarette just as naturally as you please, just as natural as the 10 or 12 others I had smoked in his presence throughout the evening. As the lighter went out and I blew out the first drag, my friend looked at me and said, "You know, Billy, you look absolutely ridiculous with that cigarette in your mouth. Do you know what a fool you like holding that thing, sticking it in your mouth and breathing the smoke?" I was stunned. I had, and still have, great respect, admiration and affection for this friend. We've been good friends since high school, college roommates, adult bosom buddies. And he had just made me feel as low as a worm.

I had heard all the anti-smoking stuff before and I knew all the downsides. I knew smoking was bad and I had quit for short spells over the years, even months at a time, but I always had an excuse to light up again. But this was the first time I had ever been told that my smoking made me look like a ridiculous fool. Maybe it was the insult to my vanity/appearance, but that remark cut me to the quick. In that same conversation my friend suggested that if I really was that addicted to the nicotine dose, then I should at least try vaping so I wouldn't be getting all the carbon monoxide and other nastiness of the cigarette smoke.

We carried on with our delightful visit. My friend, his lovely wife and their six kids (that house is a three-ring circus) all showed me a great time. And I even smoked a few more cigarettes over those next two days while a guest in their house. But that remark my friend made about me looking like a ridiculous fool with the cigarette in my mouth never left my thoughts. At the end of that visit I drove three hours to stay with my brother.

It just so happens there was a vape shop about three blocks from my brother's house. So I, still thinking about my friend's cutting remark, went to the vape shop to get a vaper and give it a try. I thought I would walk in, pick up a vape thingy (I knew nothing about it), and use that to replace my cigarettes. When I went in, though, it was like I was going in for a medical appointment, filling out forms on a clip board and everything. Then I consulted with the guy and he asked me about 40 questions - what do you smoke? what brand? how much? what time of day? do you burn them down to the filter? and on and on. I've had shorter consults with my proctologist. (Just kidding, I've never been to a proctologist. But you get my point.) At the end, about $25 later, I walked out with equipment and supplies to become a vaper and, hopefully, no longer a smoker of cigarettes.

So I went back to my brother's house and got my vaping gear set up. I thought, "This is great. I no longer have to go outside to get my nicotine dose because this is just odorless water vapor going into the air, not cigarette smoke, so I can do it right here while sitting at the dining room table. Much more convenient."

So I started vaping. And vaping. And vaping. And vaping some more. After about one day of this, and still continually thinking of my friend's cutting remark, I asked myself how ridiculous I must look as a nicotine addict tethered to this stupid little toy designed to inject fast-acting chemicals into my lungs so they can be immediately transmitted to my brain so that I can.....what??  Immediately want more? This is bullshit."

After entertaining that last thought for a long while I stuffed the nicotine injection toy and accoutrements into my travel bag and refused to inject any more nicotine into my system, be it from a vaping toy or cigarettes. Since that moment, on 5 September 2015, I have not had the least desire to smoke a cigarette, or vape.

They say vaping can help people stop smoking cigarettes. It certainly helped me, though not in the way the vape purveyors advertise. When it came time for me to pack up to go back to South America after my visit north, I found the vaping equipment, took it out of my bag, and tossed in the bathroom trash can. Looking back, that may be the best $25 I ever spent.

On September 5 every year I remind my friend that he was the inspiration for me to break a long-standing and highly addictive cigarette habit, and I thank him for caring enough about me to speak to me with such direct, unadorned truth. He takes no credit, of course, and just tells me he is glad I did it. "You'll live longer," he says. I hope so. Because since then I have gotten married and have two young kids of my own.

Now, I am looking for that wake up moment with regard to my consumption of alcohol. My life is great. My wife and kids are great. Career, money, etc., all great. I enjoy many blessings. But I drink too much beer. Lately I find myself wondering a lot about how much better, life could be without beer or any alcohol at all. Or if not better then maybe just different. What will I do with my time and energy if I am not drinking beer?

I am going to give it a 30-day try for the month of April. I'm glad I found this thread. And it makes me happy to see so many of you making strides toward your goals.

So exciting!  Best of luck to you. 

(One thing I kept reminding myself...Wenchsenior, you already know how the drink you look forward to every evening makes you feel.  You've known that same feeling every night for decades. Aren't you curious about how NOT drinking for a month or two would feel?  It helped.)

Billy B. Good

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #867 on: April 01, 2021, 12:22:45 PM »
Thank you, @wenchsenior. I will be putting your helpful suggestion in the quiver of thought arrows.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #868 on: April 01, 2021, 12:29:04 PM »

I have a sobriety app where I log in every day that I didn't drink, and it always prompts my reasons for not drinking.
I had the advantage of not being able to drink for 6 months for medical reasons, so all of my listed reasons were developed after the a-ha realizations, but I get a kick out of the last one on the list:
"Drinking is what boring people do to imitate being cool"

I spend some time with middle aged suburban parents who get together, drink too much, and complain about being overweight and feeling like shit all the time, and talk endlessly about how cool they were in grad school. This has now become my iconic symbol of what a drinker looks like.

Also, have you spent much sober time around drunk people?
Tacky As Fuck.

There's just nothing cool about it.

ETA: this is all said by someone who used to think drinking wine was the height of cool
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 01:01:35 PM by Malcat »

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #869 on: April 01, 2021, 12:53:02 PM »
@Billybegood
Did you sign up for the free 30 day alcohol experiemnt? google annie grace alcohol experiment you get daily emails that inspire
help me in the first 30 days now I am over 1.5 years.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #870 on: April 01, 2021, 02:05:05 PM »

<snip>

Now, I am looking for that wake up moment with regard to my consumption of alcohol. My life is great. My wife and kids are great. Career, money, etc., all great. I enjoy many blessings. But I drink too much beer. Lately I find myself wondering a lot about how much better, life could be without beer or any alcohol at all.

Well, here's an...awkward...one.

You know how babies get diaper rash really badly when they're teething? It's because they're generating so much saliva and it's going right through their system and when it gets to the other end the enzymes irritate the skin (maybe it would be more accurate to say that they try to digest the skin).

Well, thanks to stopping drinking for a while after a long period of regular consumption, I discovered something similar. Yep, butt itch while drinking, gone when not drinking. Presumably it has something to do with either the alcohol itself being irritating or what it does to the digestive system. Oddly enough, I've never seen this effect mentioned anywhere, so there are a few possibilities:

1. It's just me.
2. Everybody already knows this and it goes without saying.
3. Nobody wanted to "go there."
4. It's real but not enough people noticed.

At any rate, I've found this effect to be highly uncool and an additional motivation to quit.

I hope this doesn't make it awkward at future meet-ups.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #871 on: April 01, 2021, 02:12:01 PM »

<snip>

Now, I am looking for that wake up moment with regard to my consumption of alcohol. My life is great. My wife and kids are great. Career, money, etc., all great. I enjoy many blessings. But I drink too much beer. Lately I find myself wondering a lot about how much better, life could be without beer or any alcohol at all.

Well, here's an...awkward...one.

You know how babies get diaper rash really badly when they're teething? It's because they're generating so much saliva and it's going right through their system and when it gets to the other end the enzymes irritate the skin (maybe it would be more accurate to say that they try to digest the skin).

Well, thanks to stopping drinking for a while after a long period of regular consumption, I discovered something similar. Yep, butt itch while drinking, gone when not drinking. Presumably it has something to do with either the alcohol itself being irritating or what it does to the digestive system. Oddly enough, I've never seen this effect mentioned anywhere, so there are a few possibilities:

1. It's just me.
2. Everybody already knows this and it goes without saying.
3. Nobody wanted to "go there."
4. It's real but not enough people noticed.

At any rate, I've found this effect to be highly uncool and an additional motivation to quit.

I initially just assumed that this was because alcohol causes general skin itchiness, but no, evidently this is a thing, especially with beer and wine because they acidify your poop, which causes a lot of tissue irritation.

Chronic itchy butt-hole is DEFINITELY not cool.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #872 on: April 01, 2021, 02:48:34 PM »
Thank you, @wenchsenior. I will be putting your helpful suggestion in the quiver of thought arrows.

If you want to try the 30 day Experiment, the link on the left ('returning users') will get you signed up.  I found it incredibly helpful (at the old site, and the experiment material seems to be actually updated/better on the new site, up to day 15 which is all I've looked at).

https://learn.thisnakedmind.com/the-alcohol-experiment-registration

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #873 on: April 01, 2021, 03:10:39 PM »
@Billy B. Good I had the paradigm shift for drinking but it wasn't a friend who told me I was being uncool, it was more my own brain flicking me on the forehead and saying "aren't you tired of this? Aren't there other, more interesting, things you could be doing instead?" and I was done. I've written about my experience with Naltrexone upthread - got a script, took it twice, let me realise that booze tastes terrible but also freed me from the itch for the next sip.

TrMama

« Reply #874 on: April 01, 2021, 03:16:41 PM »

So I shouldn't bring it up next time we hang out?  ;-)  Don't worry, I don't want to talk about your butt either.

On a more serious note, modelling healthy behaviours for your kids is an excellent reason to quit.

My kids were about 8 and 10 when I first gave up booze entirely. We don't have many alcoholics in the family and my parents certainly weren't among them. Instead I grew up in a a part of Canada that's has a serious wine industry. So my teen years were a bit more like in a European family. Wine was often served with dinner and from about my mid-teens I was permitted to have half a glass with dinner. It was treated as no big deal and by the time I was 16 I knew which types of wine, from which wineries, I preferred and which ones I didn't care for. Being drunk was strictly frowned on though. By the time I was legally allowed to drink, I frankly had no interest and thought drunkeness was foolish. This put me seriously out of step with my peers who seemed to have a problem with binge drinking.

So when it came to raising my own kids, I figured the way I'd been raised was best and planned to do something similar. Until, oops, heart defect makes any drinking a very bad idea. I was concerned my kids wouldn't learn to drink responsibly now that I couldn't model the behaviour. However, several years on, they also both seem to think drinking is foolish. Apparently this is actually a trend among young people. As a group they drink less than their parents did at their age. So, I've come around to the idea that zero drinking from a young age can be a healthy and normal way to grow up too. Plus, I won't be that uncool parent who needs to have a drink to cope with life.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #875 on: April 01, 2021, 03:57:30 PM »
Guys, this is SO random and weird.

I was at a doctor's appointment, and my poor doctor was SO frustrated at not being able to treat my autoimmune flare (which is unfortunately par for the course with a lot of autoimmune diseases), which has been going great guns since last autumn.  I told her it was fine, mostly cosmetic, and she shouldn't get upset. But she WAS upset (doctor ego, maybe).  She asked if she could do experimental treatment if the drug was very benign and easy to tolerate. I said, sure, I guess we could try something like that.

So she put me on low-dose naltrexone, but not for any drinking- or opioid-related thing. . .basically as a specialized anti-inflammatory agent. 

Billy B. Good

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #876 on: April 01, 2021, 05:07:24 PM »
Thanks for all the responses, including the information on Uncool Itchy Butt-Hole Syndrome.
I have opened the Annie Grace site and will be investigating that as a means of support.
I got back in the squat rack today after a five week layoff. Felt great. I used to tell myself that I worked out and exercised a lot so I could "afford" to drink beer as a reward. For a while there, the reward beers started coming before the workouts and the workouts didn't happen.
I'm going to make April a good month.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #877 on: April 01, 2021, 05:20:38 PM »
@Billy B. Good I'll join you in the squat rack - I've been recovering from a series of injuries this last year but it's time to get back on the weights.

Billy B. Good

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #878 on: April 01, 2021, 05:38:28 PM »
@Billy B. Good I'll join you in the squat rack - I've been recovering from a series of injuries this last year but it's time to get back on the weights.

I didn't push it too hard today, first day back after a layoff. I need to be able to walk tomorrow! But the endorphins were better than a beer buzz.

Take it slow on the way back. See you in there.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #879 on: April 01, 2021, 08:09:27 PM »
Today is the last day of Dry January for many. When I first decided to take a break from alcohol I wasn't exactly sure if I would do just the month of Jan or an entire year. Now that the end of the month is upon us I am all in for a whole year, and excited to see it through. I have more or less been working through The Alcohol Experiment, which I have found to be.... interesting? Not the most compelling thing I have ever experienced but feel like it has done a good job of helping me examine assumptions like "Alcohol is fun to drink" and "Alcohol is not detrimental to your health". I will probably read Alan Carr's book this year since others have mentioned enjoying it perhaps more than the Annie Grace stuff.

I haven't really felt any benefits this month from abstaining, other than Not Feeling Icky and Bloated When I Drink. That seems to be more enough. I just feel, like, normal? It reminds me of when I was a teen/early college before I started drinking.  My mind has an equilibrium, and every day is relatively consistently enjoyable. No weight loss, no improved sleep (though I have stopped getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom which is nice), no clearer skin, or anything else like that. But I feel Normal, which is something gained that I did not always feel before. Here's to the rest of the year.

Hey y'all, just wanted to check in. I just wrapped up my third month of (at least) twelve with no alcohol. I continue to feel Normal, and the consistency in an even keel is really growing on me. Every once in a while I get a mental glimpse of some kind, almost a sensation of feeling like I am in high school again. It's like I've got the same mix of excitement about my life and mental sharpness that I didn't realize I had been missing. It's only there for an instant and infrequently, but I think its elusiveness is making me want it even more. I'm kind of giving the No Alcohol the credit for it - so if I want more of this brain high I guess I will continue to abstain.

My cycling has really been taking off, even though it is still in the early season here. I have been doing about equal amounts of exercise as previous years, but I am starting to feel like I have made some considerable fitness gains - I feel quite a bit more nimble for short, hard efforts. I use an app to track all of my riding and I've hit several PRs recently, and even made the top 2 position on the leaderboard for a segment near my house - my goal for the summer was to land in the top 10 and it's only April 1 so I guess I need to shoot higher. Having never felt like I was particularly athletic, and as an adult always feeling miserably out of shape during exercise to the point of abandoning it, this is probably the best feeling in the world. I've never been athletic before, but I feel like with some more work and time of putting in the effort I might be able to realize this goal. Anyway, I know this is kind of a hype post but I am in a particularly good mood right now about not drinking. I think there are definitely slower long term benefits that come around with continued perseverance and introspection. Keep up the good work, y'all. Continue to fight the good fight.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 08:11:05 PM by jps »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #880 on: April 01, 2021, 08:19:48 PM »
I never got the butt itch thankfully:)). However, my face was red much of the time. That’s cleared up. I am no longer overweight. My blood work was starting to be funky and that’s excellent now.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #881 on: April 01, 2021, 09:59:09 PM »
@jps and @Cassie bringing the hype posts this thread needs woot woot!

sjlp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #882 on: April 02, 2021, 12:19:15 AM »
It's like I've got the same mix of excitement about my life and mental sharpness that I didn't realize I had been missing.
This! I feel the same way... I guess that high school was the last time I wasn't regularly poisoning my body with alcohol. Embarrassing. It feels like I've been living my adult life with a foggy head, like when you get a head cold, and now it's lifted. Thanks for the update jps, and congrats to you. I am positive you will continue to see improvements in your athleticism -- and you have a competitive advantage over others who are essentially handicapping themselves by drinking.

Billy B Good, glad you are motivated to give it a try. It was great to read your story about smoking. Well, since you asked for some prodding, you look silly with that beer in your hand too. =) You said you have a great life, I bet you will enjoy experiencing it with your full senses about you. Why would you want to escape it by checking out mentally? And you will enjoy the benefit of not spending any more mental energy to ensure the fridge is stocked, and the ability to exercise in the evenings if you want to.

Cassie, that is amazing about the weight and blood work. Our bodies are machines, and they react to what we put into them. I know someone who indicated she could get off her blood pressure medicine if she stopped drinking. Yet she is still drinking, and literally taking medication in order to maintain a habit of poisoning her body. I am really hoping that someday she will ask me about how great I am feeling so I can share this story with her.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #883 on: April 02, 2021, 05:46:56 AM »
Really awesome to read about the positive strides y'all are making!

I quit drinking before my daughter was born, but she has absolutely made me feel grateful for the decision (helping deepen my paradigm shift).  One of the moments that gets me is when we're about to do something in the living room (maybe play guitar or a board game) and I say "hang on a sec, let me get a drink" and I go to the kitchen for seltzer or water.  For some reason, that sentence sometimes transports me to a parallel dimension, where I'm going to get a beer (which would be followed by many others) while spending time with my daughter and it makes me profoundly grateful that this is not our story.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #884 on: April 02, 2021, 06:07:46 AM »
@wenchsenior That is called microdosing and I have considered it also. They give you a very low dose so it should not be at the dose threshold to help with cravings but Let us know if it helps with your flare.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #885 on: April 02, 2021, 08:08:24 AM »
It's like I've got the same mix of excitement about my life and mental sharpness that I didn't realize I had been missing.
This! I feel the same way... I guess that high school was the last time I wasn't regularly poisoning my body with alcohol. Embarrassing. It feels like I've been living my adult life with a foggy head, like when you get a head cold, and now it's lifted.

I got this experience as well; 2 years in and I still can't get over it!  Feeling mentally closer to how I felt in college decades ago (when I rarely drank).

@BikeFanatic I will keep you guys informed of results and side effects (I'm assuming there won't be any at this dose level).

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #886 on: April 02, 2021, 09:06:56 AM »

So I shouldn't bring it up next time we hang out?  ;-)  Don't worry, I don't want to talk about your butt either.

Bringing it would mean it wasn't awkward!

On a more serious note, modelling healthy behaviours for your kids is an excellent reason to quit.

I found something similar to your story when I did a semester university in France. The French students drank, but not to excess, it was the North American exchange students who drank too much. I've always though that the US even more than Canada set that up with high drinking ages. It doesn't stop the drinking, but since you're already breaking a rule why not go further and drink to excess? It's odd, because it really would be better if everyone drank less and started later, but in a classic case of unintended consequences the efforts to do that make the situation worse not better.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #887 on: April 02, 2021, 12:11:19 PM »

Bringing it would mean it wasn't awkward!

I found something similar to your story when I did a semester university in France. The French students drank, but not to excess, it was the North American exchange students who drank too much. I've always though that the US even more than Canada set that up with high drinking ages. It doesn't stop the drinking, but since you're already breaking a rule why not go further and drink to excess? It's odd, because it really would be better if everyone drank less and started later, but in a classic case of unintended consequences the efforts to do that make the situation worse not better.

The stats say that the French are among the heaviest drinkers in the world.

I don't know that north american kids binge drink because it's not legal, perhaps, perhaps not. For whatever reason, it is part of the culture though, and that's problematic.

I grew up in Quebec where the legal drinking age is 18, and we definitely don't have the same attitude that young people shouldn't drink. And yet, rampant, legal binge drinking happens all throughout university.

Getting so drunk you can barely walk and then puking all night once you get home just isn't something to be embarrassed about. That's a problem.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #888 on: April 02, 2021, 12:30:56 PM »
Spjulep, I totally forgot to mention that I was able to get off one of my two high blood pressure medications.  It runs in my family so I am happy to get off of one. Luckily I didn’t drink when raising my kids so was fully present for them.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #889 on: April 02, 2021, 12:47:08 PM »
Spjulep, I totally forgot to mention that I was able to get off one of my two high blood pressure medications.  It runs in my family so I am happy to get off of one. Luckily I didn’t drink when raising my kids so was fully present for them.

I too was able to get off of heart medication, but not for blood pressure.
I have a high resting heart rate, which is an independent risk even in the absence of any heart disease, and apparently even moderate alcohol can raise your heart rate. It's not an issue for people with low-nornal heart rates, but is a HUGE issue for people like me.

I hated the drug I was on for heart rate though, because it also lowered my blood pressure, which is already low, and made me sooooo sluggish. I'm thrilled to be off of it. All heart meds come with side effects, so it's lovely to not need them.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #890 on: April 02, 2021, 03:15:13 PM »
Malcat, I also have that heart issue and a beta blocker lowers my BP and my heart rate. That does make me tired.  I developed that at 50 . I would love to not be taking that. I am glad you were able to get off it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #891 on: April 02, 2021, 03:47:31 PM »
Malcat, I also have that heart issue and a beta blocker lowers my BP and my heart rate. That does make me tired.  I developed that at 50 . I would love to not be taking that. I am glad you were able to get off it.

I also quit caffeine, which really helped

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #892 on: April 03, 2021, 07:03:06 AM »
I have now lost 14 lbs since beginning this experiment a few months ago. I think a lot of the weight loss comes from being more active since I'm not sitting around feeling buzzed and watching TV. That means more steps, more activities, more stuff that gets me out-and-about that burns calories. I'm also not munching things while drinking, so my daily calorie count is much lower.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #893 on: April 03, 2021, 07:36:44 AM »
I have now lost 14 lbs since beginning this experiment a few months ago. I think a lot of the weight loss comes from being more active since I'm not sitting around feeling buzzed and watching TV. That means more steps, more activities, more stuff that gets me out-and-about that burns calories. I'm also not munching things while drinking, so my daily calorie count is much lower.

Booze alone also packs a lot of calories, plus it alters the way your body metabolizes what you eat.

Alcohol calories can't be stored, so your liver has to prioritize processing them, which means a different pathway gets activated, and excess food calories get immediately shunted away into being turned into fat. When there's no alcohol in the system, excess calories can be processed in a different way where the body can circulate them while they get cleared through little body changes like increasing temperature or fidgeting, or whatever. Basically, they have a bit of a timeline where they can be burned off before the body resorts to storing them as fat.

At least that's how I'm remembering a med school lecture I barely paid attention to over a decade ago.

But basically, if you are drinking alcohol, it's easier for food calories to be stored as fat, and less likely for them and existing fat to be burned off because your metabolic system is so urgently preoccupied with de-poisoning you.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #894 on: April 05, 2021, 11:16:31 AM »
I have lost a total of 50lbs. The first 12 were from giving up booze. Then I got motivated and counted calories.

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #895 on: April 05, 2021, 08:20:58 PM »
@Cassie , 50 pounds?! Wow, congratulations. That is a lot.

I think I’m going to join you in this thread. Not sure what my exact goal is but I want to drink less and have appreciated the discussion taking place here.

Didn’t really drink till I had kids in my 30s. Oldest is a teen now. And, I’ve found the pandemic and lots of life stress has had me drinking too much. My drink of choice is wine; Red and white.

I had my last glass on Saturday evening. 1 glass of red with dinner. So, a whole 2 days without...so far, but I plan to keep going.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #896 on: April 05, 2021, 09:26:29 PM »
Well, I feel like a got past a landmark this Easter. A few years back, I decided to not-drink as a new year's resolution and I lasted until Easter, at which point I justified an "exception". That exception lasted into the next week (as I had vacation from work) and then for the rest of the year, I basically reverted to weekend drinking (which is what I'd been doing the year before).

This year, I made the same resolution (i.e. no alcohol for the year, up to the last 2 weeks of the year, at which point I will have a holiday from abstinence). So far, so good. I haven't been doing much self-reflection or using any of the resources posted here. Instead, I've just adopted the attitude that I've pre-decided to not drink, so I never have to give it any thought. Do I have to ask myself whether I should make an exception and have wine on Easter? No, I've pre-decided to not have any alcohol all year. Should I have a drink to celebrate getting the covid vaccine when the time comes? No, I've pre-decided to not have any alcohol all year. Should I have a drink at a wedding I'm supposed to attend in October, to toast the happy couple? No, I've pre-decided to not have any alcohol all year. In other words, whatever comes up, I don't have to give any thought about whether it merits an exception. Because I've pre-decided. I'm not having any alcohol this year. (Until the last 2 weeks of the year. For which I've pre-decided I'm free to drink as little or as much as I want at that time.)

(This technique of pre-deciding to abstain from something was inspired by Gretchen Rubin and her book on habits, Better Than Before.)

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #897 on: April 05, 2021, 09:41:10 PM »
@Cassie , 50 pounds?! Wow, congratulations. That is a lot.

I think I’m going to join you in this thread. Not sure what my exact goal is but I want to drink less and have appreciated the discussion taking place here.

Didn’t really drink till I had kids in my 30s. Oldest is a teen now. And, I’ve found the pandemic and lots of life stress has had me drinking too much. My drink of choice is wine; Red and white.

I had my last glass on Saturday evening. 1 glass of red with dinner. So, a whole 2 days without...so far, but I plan to keep going.

Welcome to the challenge, @LeftA! How's it going so far?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #898 on: April 06, 2021, 04:54:24 AM »
Well, I feel like a got past a landmark this Easter. A few years back, I decided to not-drink as a new year's resolution and I lasted until Easter, at which point I justified an "exception". That exception lasted into the next week (as I had vacation from work) and then for the rest of the year, I basically reverted to weekend drinking (which is what I'd been doing the year before).

This year, I made the same resolution (i.e. no alcohol for the year, up to the last 2 weeks of the year, at which point I will have a holiday from abstinence). So far, so good. I haven't been doing much self-reflection or using any of the resources posted here. Instead, I've just adopted the attitude that I've pre-decided to not drink, so I never have to give it any thought. Do I have to ask myself whether I should make an exception and have wine on Easter? No, I've pre-decided to not have any alcohol all year. Should I have a drink to celebrate getting the covid vaccine when the time comes? No, I've pre-decided to not have any alcohol all year. Should I have a drink at a wedding I'm supposed to attend in October, to toast the happy couple? No, I've pre-decided to not have any alcohol all year. In other words, whatever comes up, I don't have to give any thought about whether it merits an exception. Because I've pre-decided. I'm not having any alcohol this year. (Until the last 2 weeks of the year. For which I've pre-decided I'm free to drink as little or as much as I want at that time.)

(This technique of pre-deciding to abstain from something was inspired by Gretchen Rubin and her book on habits, Better Than Before.)

That "pre-deciding" concept is a big part of Anni Grace's approach. It's so much easier to not having to decide every damn day if you are going to drink it not. The choice is already made.

After the "pre-decision" is made, then whether you drink or not depends on maintaining the integrity of your own word to yourself.

That's one of the most insidious parts of being a regular drinker. There are so many times you say you won't drink today, this week, this month, whatever, and then you break that promise to yourself because some kind of "exception" comes up. Over time, you train yourself to have no faith in your own word.

Since I quit drinking, I now basically never question if I'll actually do something I say I'm going to do, and I can no longer imagine it any other way.

Billy B. Good

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #899 on: April 06, 2021, 10:02:38 AM »

This is smart. Going in at only 98% instead of 100% results in decision fatigue, where you are constantly trying to decide if this or that special occasion is one that merits an exception to your commitment. Fatigue breeds failure. Removing the decision process beforehand leaves you with all your energy to honor the commitment. Congrats on honoring your commitment.

I had a similar experience on the second day of my April challenge. On day 2 I went to my niece's birthday party. The brothers-in-law started passing out cans of beer as per usual. I would normally accept. But this time I said, "No thanks. I'm not drinking right now." I left no room for doubt and no room for them to try to cajole me into joining them. They looked surprised, then they shrugged and it was over and never mentioned again. Easier than I expected.

Benjamin Hardy speaks to this 100% being much easier than 98%: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rfLejtqwjc