Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 310491 times)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #700 on: January 05, 2021, 01:25:01 PM »
I have been having the odd drink over the last three weeks.  And sleeping atrociously.  I think it is time to get back on the track of no alcohol.

Did I not realize how much holiday celebrations were entangled with alcoholic beverages...even in Covid? Yes, I had no idea that my internal idea of how to celebrate and what constitutes a special was so wrapped together with booze. Two neighbours invited us for a driveway beverage. Mulled wine and champagne.  New Years Eve and 59th wedding anniversary. Many gifts of wine and prosecco and champagne left on our front porch.  Quite troubling to discover.  But good for me to understand.

This was a big one for me, slowly reprogramming that celebration and booze don't actually make any sense in terms of being connected.

It's also made me be a lot more creative in how I celebrate things. It now seems to make a lot more sense to tailor each celebration to the thing being celebrated, as opposed to "oh, I have something to celebrate, let me grab a bottle of champagne".

Booze now seems like a lazy and paltry way to celebrate anything.

I celebrated one year sober by hiking a mountain in the snow with my sister.
How do you approach the following situations:
Neighbours celebrating 59th anniversary and are literally standing there with three bottle of open champagne...how do you navigate the "when in Rome..." situations?  New years eve or Christmas eve and mulled wine when invited over for said beverage.  Do I just need to be more courageous when accepting the invitations and say I will be delighted to come but with my own beverage?

This year my DH could only think of one Christmas gift he wanted - a bottle of baileys.  Our 19 year old asked me to help him make the purchase.  Suddenly I have a cart full of different types of drink...the baileys, some dry white to go with the salmon, a white to go with turkey, a red for the beef and some prosecco.  A bottle of port (also for DH).  It wasn't until I got home that I realized what I was doing really.  CRAZY
I grew up in a family that had a cocktail before dinner, wine for each course and then a liqueur with coffee.  There is a lot of conditioning to get past.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #701 on: January 05, 2021, 02:32:22 PM »
I have been having the odd drink over the last three weeks.  And sleeping atrociously.  I think it is time to get back on the track of no alcohol.

Did I not realize how much holiday celebrations were entangled with alcoholic beverages...even in Covid? Yes, I had no idea that my internal idea of how to celebrate and what constitutes a special was so wrapped together with booze. Two neighbours invited us for a driveway beverage. Mulled wine and champagne.  New Years Eve and 59th wedding anniversary. Many gifts of wine and prosecco and champagne left on our front porch.  Quite troubling to discover.  But good for me to understand.

This was a big one for me, slowly reprogramming that celebration and booze don't actually make any sense in terms of being connected.

It's also made me be a lot more creative in how I celebrate things. It now seems to make a lot more sense to tailor each celebration to the thing being celebrated, as opposed to "oh, I have something to celebrate, let me grab a bottle of champagne".

Neighbours celebrating 59th anniversary and are literally standing there with three bottle of open champagne...how do you navigate the "when in Rome..." situations?  New years eve or Christmas eve and mulled wine when invited over for said beverage.  Do I just need to be more courageous when accepting the invitations and say I will be delighted to come but with my own beverage?

This year my DH could only think of one Christmas gift he wanted - a bottle of baileys.  Our 19 year old asked me to help him make the purchase.  Suddenly I have a cart full of different types of drink...the baileys, some dry white to go with the salmon, a white to go with turkey, a red for the beef and some prosecco.  A bottle of port (also for DH).  It wasn't until I got home that I realized what I was doing really.  CRAZY
I grew up in a family that had a cocktail before dinner, wine for each course and then a liqueur with coffee.  There is a lot of conditioning to get past.

I grew up in a family that condoned drinking alcohol with breakfast, so yeah, I get it.

Honestly, those scenarios only feel like a big deal until you actually live through them sober and realize that it's actually not a big deal at all. You either tell people in advance that you aren't drinking or in the moment, whatever is easier. It's typically a social norm to bring stuff to a social occasion, so I bring something for the hosts, and a preferred beverage for myself. I was at a small wedding this summer and my table spot was right in front of where ALL of the open wine bottles were. In fact, I was often tasked with filling everyone's glasses. When alcohol stops being a big deal to you, not drinking it stops feeling like a big deal as well.

I would say that if you find it uncomfortable to think of passing up a drink at a "when in Rome" situation, that should be considered as more reason to try. From my very comfortable alcohol free position now, it wouldn't even cross my mind to worry about it because when you don't care about drinking, you just don't care about drinking, so nothing is awkward, nor should it be.

To put it bluntly, poisoning yourself for other people's social comfort is kind of insane. Drink if you want to, but don't drink for the social ease of others. Those who actually care about you will support you. Those who don't aren't entitled to any input.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #702 on: January 05, 2021, 03:20:50 PM »
@Frugal Lizard I started off by accepting the invitation and bringing something for the host and a non-alcoholic drink for me. Good hosts mostly want to make sure everyone is having a good time and seldom question you if you ask for a seltzer or are holding a glass of kombucha as long as you look comfortable. It's also a nice time of year to say you are taking a break and you never need to say how long a break you are on. Mine has currently lasted 3.5 years, and it's no longer even a thing for my friends.

I would also say that as a non-drinker, it has made me a better host for those who don't drink. I used to arrange social occasions for my work and given the nature of my industry (IT) while the culture was boozy, an increasing number of developers are from non-drinking cultures. Or might be pregnant. Or might have quit because it doesn't lend itself to high-level thinking on a sustained basis. Or any other reason really or no reason at all. I made a variety of delicious non-alcoholic drinks as available and attractive as alcoholic drinks and it helped bridge the gap between the drinking and non-drinking team members.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #703 on: January 05, 2021, 03:35:11 PM »
I jumped on this bandwagon and am doing a dry January. I might extend it since its been way harder than I think it should be for these first 4 days. 

I had increased the frequency of wine and cocktails with the 2020 lockdown and it just became too frequent. It wasn't a binge scenario but it was a lot of consumption.  My sleep is already less interrupted but I need to take the suggestion above of taking a walk, etc during the "witching hour". For me that was when my remote workday ends and I let the distance learning kids watch tv.  A walk doesn't work since my kids don't want to go but I'll find something to break that time up.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #704 on: January 05, 2021, 05:47:57 PM »
I jumped on this bandwagon and am doing a dry January. I might extend it since its been way harder than I think it should be for these first 4 days. 

I had increased the frequency of wine and cocktails with the 2020 lockdown and it just became too frequent. It wasn't a binge scenario but it was a lot of consumption.  My sleep is already less interrupted but I need to take the suggestion above of taking a walk, etc during the "witching hour". For me that was when my remote workday ends and I let the distance learning kids watch tv.  A walk doesn't work since my kids don't want to go but I'll find something to break that time up.
Welcome. I'm not a binger either. Just that daily one became two, then very often three.  Found myself white knuckling through previous non-drinking stints. Doing much better since I got treatment for anxiety.

I had a craving for wine tonight because I'm happy-sad after quitting my job, so I'm drinking a flavored seltzer right now. Seems to satisfy it a little.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #705 on: January 05, 2021, 06:02:23 PM »

Welcome. I'm not a binger either. Just that daily one became two, then very often three.  Found myself white knuckling through previous non-drinking stints. Doing much better since I got treatment for anxiety.

I had a craving for wine tonight because I'm happy-sad after quitting my job, so I'm drinking a flavored seltzer right now. Seems to satisfy it a little.

Congrats on quitting!! Yes I feel a bit like I am white knuckling it which is new for me and tells me this break is needed.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #706 on: January 06, 2021, 04:38:26 AM »
There are 2 books on Amazon that can help with the white knuckling. Already mentioned in the tread by many is This naked mind by Annie Grace and Porters book called Alcohol explained. Theses 2 books help with the white knuckling because they convince you that alcohol is not worth all the struggle.

Also for free is the web site the alcohol experiment, sign up for 30 days of educational videos and writing exercises, this alcohol experiment has helped so many. Good luck.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #707 on: January 06, 2021, 04:47:37 AM »
Another book recommendation: We Are the Luckiest: The Surprising Magic of a Sober Life

Well done to all who have stuck to their commitment, and good luck to those who are just starting!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #708 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:23 AM »
There are 2 books on Amazon that can help with the white knuckling. Already mentioned in the tread by many is This naked mind by Annie Grace and Porters book called Alcohol explained. Theses 2 books help with the white knuckling because they convince you that alcohol is not worth all the struggle.

Also for free is the web site the alcohol experiment, sign up for 30 days of educational videos and writing exercises, this alcohol experiment has helped so many. Good luck.

Yep!

I read This Naked Mind thanks to this thread and that lead me to Alan Carr's "Easy Way" book. I responded better to Alan Carr, but that's just a personal/personality thing.

I have pretty much less than zero faith in self help books, so I was amazed at how effective these books were at altering my patterns of thinking around alcohol.

I am quite confident that I wouldn't be nearly as chill about it now or nearly as comfortable being sober as I am. Alan Carr was for me with sobriety what MMM was with frugality and investing. Paradigm shifting.

Segare

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #709 on: January 06, 2021, 05:54:42 AM »
Hum, sometimes I think about it.  Not now though, a couple weeks away from our 17th annual camping trip with people. Maybe after that.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #710 on: January 06, 2021, 08:46:39 AM »
Hum, sometimes I think about it.  Not now though, a couple weeks away from our 17th annual camping trip with people. Maybe after that.

Annie's book is actually best read while you are still drinking and only contemplating how much alcohol you want to drink in the future. She specifically recommends you keep drinking as normal.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #711 on: January 06, 2021, 09:29:36 AM »
I read all the books mentioned a few days after quitting. They made it easy. I also bought lots of flavored sparkling water to drink at wine time and knitted during that time. I was bringing my own drinks to people’s homes. Now after 5 months it’s my new normal and no one questions it anymore. My best friend and her husband quit to a week after me.

TrMama

« Reply #712 on: January 06, 2021, 10:43:07 AM »

I was also apprehensive about how others would perceive my not drinking. It turned out to be no big deal. Just say, "I don't drink anymore", or "I'm taking a break to see how I feel about it" or whatever. Unless the person is a major asshole, they're not going to be bothered about it. However, if you've been invited to some kind of gathering where booze might be offered, I'm sure the hosts would appreciate a head's up about your new plan so they don't buy, or open, more booze than necessary. Don't be like by brother and show up for a weekend at our house and casually toss out, "Oh by the way, we're vegan now". This was especially annoying because it was a big change from his previous habits and I was literally pulling the steaks I'd bought out of the fridge for dinner. I didn't care at all about his new love of vegetables, I was just annoyed at having to figure out a different dinner on the fly.

As for all the other bottles that jumped in your cart, as long as they haven't been opened, you can return them. Give it a little more time and you'll soon forget your way around the liquor store. My DH also requested a bottle of his fav liqueur for Christmas. I quite drinking in 2016 and apparently now can't find my way around the liquor store. I had to ask a staff member to help me find the bottle I was looking for.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #713 on: January 06, 2021, 11:10:35 AM »
I'm going to do dry January again. I had one drink on Jan 2 before I decided to do it, but I actually didn't drink all that much over the holidays, which is basically due to COVID but I suppose good for my health overall. Every time I take a break from alcohol, I feel great and I want to keep it up, but then I slip back into habits due to social pressure and not being committed to quitting once and for all. Even now I have a stocked liquor cabinet that I barely use, but it feels like a waste to quit and never drink it, although realistically I know I can just save it for guests or give it away and it would be no big deal.
I don't consider myself a problematic drinker, as I'm pretty good about not drinking too often or too much, but it all adds up, both for my health and my wallet, so I think I'll check out some of the books mentioned and see if I can make a more lasting change this time. I'm also planning on getting pregnant in the near future so I may as well get a head start on sobriety.
For those who were not daily or heavy drinkers but still decided to quit, I'm curious whether there's a big difference between not drinking at all vs only drinking once in a while?

MustachioedPistachio

• Stubble
« Reply #714 on: January 06, 2021, 07:22:25 PM »
30 days in. :) Looking forward to the next 30!

TrMama

« Reply #715 on: January 06, 2021, 09:20:25 PM »
For those who were not daily or heavy drinkers but still decided to quit, I'm curious whether there's a big difference between not drinking at all vs only drinking once in a while?

Yes. I was a 1-2 drinks per week person. Often not even that. I quit entirely as an experiment and didn't intend for it to be permanent. I used to have an electrical glitch in my heart that sometimes caused an arrhythmia. My cardiologist wanted to do an ablation to fix it, but to me the procedure sounded scary and risky. He also mentioned that I shouldn't drink heavily, but that my consumption level wasn't an issue at all. However, I was having more and more episodes of arrhythmia. So I quit drinking entirely to see if it would improve the symptoms enough for me to be able to skip the ablation.

Surprisingly, it helped quite a bit for a few years. For a while the episodes stopped. Also surprisingly, it was harder to quit than I thought it would be. Apparently the days I did have a drink in the evenings were also the days where something had been "hard" and I was using booze as a way to dull my feelings. When I suddenly lost that coping mechanism I had to learn to feel my feelings instead. It sucked. For a while I coped by cleaning, which was awesome! However, within a couple months I just got better at processing my feelings. I'm not totally sure how to articulate this feeling, but I don't ever want to go back to avoiding and numbing the tougher days again.  It's like now I have more inner peace or something. I very rarely get overwhelmed by negative feelings and when I do it doesn't last long. I feel like I'm more in control.

Anyway, like others I also like rarely feeling sluggish in the mornings. I had the ablation done last fall so there's no longer a medical reason not to drink anymore, however I have no desire at all to go back. The one time I had a single drink as an experiment I felt awful. Instant headache and felt like shit. Probably because after years of not drinking I no have zero tolerance. Anyway, it only cemented my decision.

Try it. Give it at least a few months. If it turns out it's not for you, then you don't have to stick with it.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #716 on: January 06, 2021, 10:03:23 PM »
Yes. I was a 1-2 drinks per week person. Often not even that. I quit entirely as an experiment and didn't intend for it to be permanent. I used to have an electrical glitch in my heart that sometimes caused an arrhythmia. My cardiologist wanted to do an ablation to fix it, but to me the procedure sounded scary and risky. He also mentioned that I shouldn't drink heavily, but that my consumption level wasn't an issue at all. However, I was having more and more episodes of arrhythmia. So I quit drinking entirely to see if it would improve the symptoms enough for me to be able to skip the ablation.

Surprisingly, it helped quite a bit for a few years. For a while the episodes stopped. Also surprisingly, it was harder to quit than I thought it would be. Apparently the days I did have a drink in the evenings were also the days where something had been "hard" and I was using booze as a way to dull my feelings. When I suddenly lost that coping mechanism I had to learn to feel my feelings instead. It sucked. For a while I coped by cleaning, which was awesome! However, within a couple months I just got better at processing my feelings. I'm not totally sure how to articulate this feeling, but I don't ever want to go back to avoiding and numbing the tougher days again.  It's like now I have more inner peace or something. I very rarely get overwhelmed by negative feelings and when I do it doesn't last long. I feel like I'm more in control.

Anyway, like others I also like rarely feeling sluggish in the mornings. I had the ablation done last fall so there's no longer a medical reason not to drink anymore, however I have no desire at all to go back. The one time I had a single drink as an experiment I felt awful. Instant headache and felt like shit. Probably because after years of not drinking I no have zero tolerance. Anyway, it only cemented my decision.

Try it. Give it at least a few months. If it turns out it's not for you, then you don't have to stick with it.

It's fascinating to me that eliminating a 1-2/week habit was enough to reduce the heart issue that much, even if it only delayed needing the procedure. Also fascinating that it was hard to go from that level to nothing.

My use has crept up over the years and lately I've been working on reducing it dramatically. The immediate reasons are about sleep: I wake up soaked with sweat if I've had any alcohol that evening, and often get the 3am mental hamster wheel. The sweats go away right away although the hamster wheel still happens (I have an additional solution planned for that - FIRE of course!). The longer term concerns are about overall health. I also hate seeing the cost when I tally our expenses.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #717 on: January 07, 2021, 06:54:06 AM »

This was great to read.

I was also able to get off of heart medication when I quit, which is fantastic because if a drug has a side effect, I'm pretty sure to get it.

On the emotional front, it's so true. If someone drinks in response to stress, then the brain will enhance the experience of stress in order to promote consuming alcohol. And the stress is then prolonged because it isn't just properly processed and resolved.

So in an attempt to manage stress, booze amplifies it and extends it. Pretty shitty deal.

TrMama

« Reply #718 on: January 07, 2021, 10:37:50 AM »

It's fascinating to me that eliminating a 1-2/week habit was enough to reduce the heart issue that much, even if it only delayed needing the procedure. Also fascinating that it was hard to go from that level to nothing.

My use has crept up over the years and lately I've been working on reducing it dramatically. The immediate reasons are about sleep: I wake up soaked with sweat if I've had any alcohol that evening, and often get the 3am mental hamster wheel. The sweats go away right away although the hamster wheel still happens (I have an additional solution planned for that - FIRE of course!). The longer term concerns are about overall health. I also hate seeing the cost when I tally our expenses.

One of the other benefits to abstaining completely is the effect it's had on our kids. We have young teens and at first I was unsure of how to approach the issue with them. I don't drink due to reasons that are personal to me. I don't have much of an opinion about other's habits and if my kids grow up and want to have the odd drink I don't have an issue with that. However, they don't actually have a role model for "healthy" drinking, whatever that may be. So at the moment they're both of the opinion that drinking is foolish and they have no interest. This is a pretty big departure from how I grew up, which was a more European mentality that teens should have the odd half glass of wine at family dinners so they learn to imbibe responsibly and don't fall into binge drinking when they're on their own. Anyway, apparently the current trend for teens and young adults is much, much less drinking than when I was young so hopefully it just won't be an issue for my girls and they'll just always have this healthier outlook. They're also both well aware of how carcinogenic alcohol is and the effect cancer has had on some of our extended family.

For others who're worried about social effects of not drinking, my experience has been that it's 100x easier than managing even 1-2 drinks per event. I don't ever even have to think about it. My answer to "What are you having?" is always "What non-alcoholic options do you have?". The list is usually pretty short, so I just ask for a juice and then I can drink it as quickly, or not as I want. I can have more and I don't have to worry about having food with it. I never worry about being pulled over afterwards. It's just so much simpler.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #719 on: January 07, 2021, 12:10:20 PM »
I really appreciate hearing how occasional drinker to non-drinker is still a significant shift. I have definitely decreased my consumption over the past few months, but the pressure is still there in certain social situations. I have some easy scripts - not drinking tonight, doing a dry period, etc. and it works on most people. I'm pretty comfortable having sparkling water instead. But there is one person in my life (not optional) who has a really hard time accepting no and I have to tell them again and again that I don't want something. I'm fine with it and I just repeat myself, but it gets annoying. I don't understand why some people are so dedicated to drinking that they cannot accept when someone else doesn't.
If I'm being completely honest, the other part of my issue is not alcohol, but weed. I drink for taste and fun, but I smoke for fun and when I'm stressed. So I don't think I can fix one without the other. I know this thread is more about alcohol, but for me the two are linked. Til now my dry January hasn't included weed, but starting today it will. I want to be accountable to myself so I am writing it here. Many of the same arguments apply - bad for the health, not a good mental crutch, not good for sleep. So I'm going to see how I feel without either for a little while, maybe longer.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #720 on: January 07, 2021, 12:23:56 PM »
I really appreciate hearing how occasional drinker to non-drinker is still a significant shift. I have definitely decreased my consumption over the past few months, but the pressure is still there in certain social situations. I have some easy scripts - not drinking tonight, doing a dry period, etc. and it works on most people. I'm pretty comfortable having sparkling water instead. But there is one person in my life (not optional) who has a really hard time accepting no and I have to tell them again and again that I don't want something. I'm fine with it and I just repeat myself, but it gets annoying. I don't understand why some people are so dedicated to drinking that they cannot accept when someone else doesn't.
If I'm being completely honest, the other part of my issue is not alcohol, but weed. I drink for taste and fun, but I smoke for fun and when I'm stressed. So I don't think I can fix one without the other. I know this thread is more about alcohol, but for me the two are linked. Til now my dry January hasn't included weed, but starting today it will. I want to be accountable to myself so I am writing it here. Many of the same arguments apply - bad for the health, not a good mental crutch, not good for sleep. So I'm going to see how I feel without either for a little while, maybe longer.

It's not just weed (which stimulates the same part of the brain as booze). There are other things people do for stress relief that also stimulate that part of the brain and one can form destructive habits/dependency on: Food, esp sugar, gambling, internet browsing/gaming/social media, porn/sex, gambling, shopping, other drugs.   Our brains just didn't evolve to have such ready and quick access to these neuro-stimulators, and thus, they easily become problematic.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #721 on: January 07, 2021, 01:51:21 PM »
Once I quit drinking I was able to get off one of my high blood pressure medications.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #722 on: January 07, 2021, 04:55:14 PM »
4 months sober today !

Which means 4 months + 1 day ago I was an asshole! (probably still am, just a sober one).

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #723 on: January 07, 2021, 05:05:37 PM »
4 months sober today !

Which means 4 months + 1 day ago I was an asshole! (probably still am, just a sober one).

Congrats on 4 months of sober assholery

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #724 on: January 08, 2021, 05:48:37 AM »
Sober win: I completely refreshed my wardrobe on less than three months worth of last year's alcohol spend!!!  I actually needed the clothes for a job, I wasn't just treating myself.

Our average was $127/month last year on booze for two adults, plus the occasional visitors or host gift. I drink mainly boxed wine and the occasional beer, but husband likes whiskey which gets expensive. He has stopped drinking for now too and has lost 20 lbs since mid-December.

I plan to extend my dry January until gatherings resume, and drink at social occasions only this year. We can use the wine/liquor we have in the house to bring when we finally get to go visiting.  It's possible that we could have zero alcohol spend this year (will make an exception if I get invited out somewhere with friends).

Looking for ideas on how to celebrate inauguration night sober!

katekat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #725 on: January 08, 2021, 06:17:49 AM »
I'm giving up alcohol for a bit.

I'm trying to get pregnant. I'm not under the illusion that drinking has HUGE fertility effects, but at the same time it began to seem really perverse to me, given how desperate I am for a baby, that I was regularly indulging in an unhealthy and entirely optional activity that might impact fertility. If I'm at the stage where I'm trying to move the needle by resorting to prayer & old wives' tales (and I AM at that point) I should also be willing to make actual healthy changes in my life.

MrKat hardly drinks, and because of covid I barely see anyone else, so this should be an easy time to do it. My last drink was August 14th. If I'm not pregnant by the Christmas season, I will likely let myself drink then. So let's say initially that I am setting myself the challenge of no drinking until December 1st. Hopefully I get pregnant and end up going a lot longer than that.

Thanks for this thread. At the weekend, I read all the way through from the beginning :)

I thought I would provide an update to this since I feel like right now I look like a silent dropout from this thread :)

I both am, and am not a drop out. I still have had no alcohol since August 14th (so soon will be coming up on 5 months). Less than a month after writing this post, I found out I was pregnant. Being sober while pregnant is a different experience, psychologically, than being sober other times. It's expected, there's no justification to others or self-justification. So I find that I have very little to contribute here!

Still, it's a very different change of scene to me that in 2020 I spend 7+ months sober in total (nearly 3 for my first pregnancy and miscarriage, over 4 after a deliberate decision and for this continuing pregnancy). Hopefully that will put me in a good mindset for after pregnancy (a) not feeling the need to drink as soon as I 'can', and (b) having a healthier relationship with booze in future, whether that's sober or otherwise.

I will probably check in again after pregnancy to talk about whether/how long I decide to stay sober! Right now I just wanted to say -- I didn't stop contributing because I started drinking.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #726 on: January 08, 2021, 06:20:20 AM »
CONGRATS!!!

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #727 on: January 08, 2021, 06:21:43 AM »
I'm giving up alcohol for a bit.

I'm trying to get pregnant. I'm not under the illusion that drinking has HUGE fertility effects, but at the same time it began to seem really perverse to me, given how desperate I am for a baby, that I was regularly indulging in an unhealthy and entirely optional activity that might impact fertility. If I'm at the stage where I'm trying to move the needle by resorting to prayer & old wives' tales (and I AM at that point) I should also be willing to make actual healthy changes in my life.

MrKat hardly drinks, and because of covid I barely see anyone else, so this should be an easy time to do it. My last drink was August 14th. If I'm not pregnant by the Christmas season, I will likely let myself drink then. So let's say initially that I am setting myself the challenge of no drinking until December 1st. Hopefully I get pregnant and end up going a lot longer than that.

Thanks for this thread. At the weekend, I read all the way through from the beginning :)

I thought I would provide an update to this since I feel like right now I look like a silent dropout from this thread :)

I both am, and am not a drop out. I still have had no alcohol since August 14th (so soon will be coming up on 5 months). Less than a month after writing this post, I found out I was pregnant. Being sober while pregnant is a different experience, psychologically, than being sober other times. It's expected, there's no justification to others or self-justification. So I find that I have very little to contribute here!

Still, it's a very different change of scene to me that in 2020 I spend 7+ months sober in total (nearly 3 for my first pregnancy and miscarriage, over 4 after a deliberate decision and for this continuing pregnancy). Hopefully that will put me in a good mindset for after pregnancy (a) not feeling the need to drink as soon as I 'can', and (b) having a healthier relationship with booze in future, whether that's sober or otherwise.

I will probably check in again after pregnancy to talk about whether/how long I decide to stay sober! Right now I just wanted to say -- I didn't stop contributing because I started drinking.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #728 on: January 08, 2021, 06:31:35 AM »
Congrats, @katekat ! That's wonderful news. I'm very happy for you.

Segare

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #729 on: January 08, 2021, 06:58:00 AM »

Annie's book is actually best read while you are still drinking and only contemplating how much alcohol you want to drink in the future. She specifically recommends you keep drinking as normal.

I did get the audio version and started listening yesterday. I see where she says in the intro about not changing anything at first.

On chapter four and I am thinking of making changes already tonight, but we will see.

Most of our drinking is at home. For me that means 6 or 7 beers 7 days a week. You think it got to be too many? Just cutting that out would be huge.  That would leave about 7 times a year instead of 360. I can see already though from her audio that it might be better to stop all together, time will tell.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #730 on: January 08, 2021, 07:40:27 AM »

I did get the audio version and started listening yesterday. I see where she says in the intro about not changing anything at first.

On chapter four and I am thinking of making changes already tonight, but we will see.

Most of our drinking is at home. For me that means 6 or 7 beers 7 days a week. You think it got to be too many? Just cutting that out would be huge.  That would leave about 7 times a year instead of 360. I can see already though from her audio that it might be better to stop all together, time will tell.

Annie's book and her 30 day experiment, which I also highly recommend, did not convince me to quit altogether.

What they did convince me of was that I did not like the "stress relief" relationship I had with red wine, which was the only alcohol I drank regularly, and that I wanted to see what a year without red wine would feel like.

After that, I listened to Alan Carr's book and decided "yep, I'm over it", and suddenly just did not want to drink at all. Not because I shouldn't, or it was ruining my life, or anything shame or guilt based like that. I just was over it. It was like a break up with a sometimes fun but kind of shitty ex who I have no interest in getting back together with.

Take this time to get to know your relationship with alcohol better. Decide for yourself what role you want alcohol to play in your life.

Maybe it will become an ex you stay in touch with as friends now and then, or maybe it will become someone whose friend request you delete on Facebook and whose calls you send to voicemail.

You will figure out what relationship works best for you. Books like This Naked Mind, and her 30 day experiment are really all about figuring that relationship out, not dictating what it should or shouldn't be.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #731 on: January 08, 2021, 08:18:21 AM »
I like the approach of those books where they aren’t advocating for quitting but finding your own path. Congrats Kat!  Steeze, that’s a great length of sober time. I never drank all the years I was raising my kids. I needed to be present for them. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #732 on: January 08, 2021, 08:44:40 AM »
I like the approach of those books where they aren’t advocating for quitting but finding your own path. Congrats Kat!  Steeze, that’s a great length of sober time. I never drank all the years I was raising my kids. I needed to be present for them.

I think it depends.

Because Alan Carr's book is very firmly in the "don't drink, it's fucking stupid" camp, and that's the one I responded to the most.

After Annie's book, I wasn't really sure about anything, but a lot of what she said had made me think, so I then went to the source of where she got a lot of her inspiration, which was Alan, and his style resonated with me in my bones. I was like "fuck yeah!" listening along to his book. I actually listened to it a second time right after finishing it.

I think Annie's book is the best starting point though. Her 30 day alcohol experiment is a great process for people to figure out their own relationship with alcohol.

She makes a great point that you really need to have alcohol out of your system for a bit before you are even capable of making decisions about it, and the exercises get your mind into a space where it's comfortable with self reflection and critical thinking.

Her book is best read while still drinking, because it allows you to reflect in real time on what she's presenting about drinking. Her experiment then creates the mental and neurological space to make personalized decisions.

For me, she just wasn't resonant enough, where Alan was, but I think I was ready for Alan's far more prescriptive stance because of her content.

Whether content is helpful for someone really depends on where they are along the continuum of readiness for change.

Books that don't insist on total sobriety will always be better for those who aren't open to total sobriety. Whereas for someone who is, a non firm message might be too wishy washy.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #733 on: January 08, 2021, 11:43:53 AM »

I think it depends.

Because Alan Carr's book is very firmly in the "don't drink, it's fucking stupid" camp, and that's the one I responded to the most.

After Annie's book, I wasn't really sure about anything, but a lot of what she said had made me think, so I then went to the source of where she got a lot of her inspiration, which was Alan, and his style resonated with me in my bones. I was like "fuck yeah!" listening along to his book. I actually listened to it a second time right after finishing it.

I think Annie's book is the best starting point though. Her 30 day alcohol experiment is a great process for people to figure out their own relationship with alcohol.

She makes a great point that you really need to have alcohol out of your system for a bit before you are even capable of making decisions about it, and the exercises get your mind into a space where it's comfortable with self reflection and critical thinking.

Her book is best read while still drinking, because it allows you to reflect in real time on what she's presenting about drinking. Her experiment then creates the mental and neurological space to make personalized decisions.

For me, she just wasn't resonant enough, where Alan was, but I think I was ready for Alan's far more prescriptive stance because of her content.

Whether content is helpful for someone really depends on where they are along the continuum of readiness for change.

Books that don't insist on total sobriety will always be better for those who aren't open to total sobriety. Whereas for someone who is, a non firm message might be too wishy washy.

This is my feeling as well.  I never went in intending to 'never drink again!' and still don't put those kinds of rules on it (it's just that now my opinions about my drinking experience are so radically different that I keep wanting not to drink).  But if someone had first approached me with 'DRINKING IS TERRIBLE NEVER DRINK IT'S STUPID', I would have dismissed it and probably kept drinking.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #734 on: January 08, 2021, 01:39:01 PM »
@katekat  Woah and congratulations!
@Morning Glory My recommendation for a drink replacement would be to GO FANCY. What you choose depends on your tastebuds but have it in a nice glass, use a cute garnish, make it feel like a treat. I like a splash of good juice with seltzer and a sprig or two of fresh mint. It looks like a refreshing party in a glass.

For those who are unsure if they will be able to quit, I went to my GP and got a prescription for Naltrexone. It blocks the receptors in your brain that make you feel drunk and you are supposed to take it while you are drinking. It was one of the odder experiences of my life and I only took it a few times but it was enough to break the imbibe>reward cycle. Without the reward receptors being activated, it was like I was *tasting* an entirely different drink, one that wasn't particularly pleasant. I would have zero urge to have another sip or finish a glass of wine. I did this in combination with r/stopdrinking and reading Annie Grace's book. There is a pretty good article on it in the Atlantic - https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/the-irrationality-of-alcoholics-anonymous/386255/

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #735 on: January 08, 2021, 01:57:11 PM »
@katekat  Woah and congratulations!
@Morning Glory My recommendation for a drink replacement would be to GO FANCY. What you choose depends on your tastebuds but have it in a nice glass, use a cute garnish, make it feel like a treat. I like a splash of good juice with seltzer and a sprig or two of fresh mint. It looks like a refreshing party in a glass.

For those who are unsure if they will be able to quit, I went to my GP and got a prescription for Naltrexone. It blocks the receptors in your brain that make you feel drunk and you are supposed to take it while you are drinking. It was one of the odder experiences of my life and I only took it a few times but it was enough to break the imbibe>reward cycle. Without the reward receptors being activated, it was like I was *tasting* an entirely different drink, one that wasn't particularly pleasant. I would have zero urge to have another sip or finish a glass of wine. I did this in combination with r/stopdrinking and reading Annie Grace's book. There is a pretty good article on it in the Atlantic - https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/the-irrationality-of-alcoholics-anonymous/386255/

I rec that article to everyone who has negative experiences with AA.  No doubt AA helps some portion of alcohol abusers, but jeez it promotes some weird ideas with no scientific support.  No one who doesn't jive with it should just give up trying to get help, that's for sure.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #736 on: January 08, 2021, 02:58:00 PM »
I've made some posts on this thread before in times past, so I'm no stranger to stints of booze freedom.

Like many others here, I haven't had a drink so far in 2021. I think I'd like to go an entire year without booze. I did a cycling challenge last summer with a friend and significantly cut back on my alcohol intake to help with recovery/fitness. Once the challenge was over, I started consistently drinking again, often heavy/carb-y hazy IPAs. Usually I would have one or two, but my consistency, the number of nights that I was having a beer, had increased significantly since before the challenge. Then during December, DW and I got some special ingredients for fancy cocktails in the week or two leading up to Christmas. They were fun, but after a cocktail I often noticed that I had a headache, and would feel pretty bloated. I usually only had one because I felt too tired and "gross" to have another, while DW would usually have a couple cocktails each night.

I slowly entertained the idea that drinking alcohol wasn't really all that fun to me at this point, and seemed at least partially responsible for me feeling physically out-of-it and bloated, even without binge-level doses. I also remembered that cutting down on alcohol seemed to anecdotally help with my athletic performance last summer. So, I am going to experiment going a whole year without booze - and coupling it with hopefully my most intense cycling training year ever. 8 days into the year, I feel less bloated, but really no other benefits yet. I had one or two days of cravings but those have dropped off as I work my way through Annie Grace's The Alcohol Experiment. My hope is that I will continue to feel good by not drinking, and I will be able to not hinder athletic/performance gains for cycling by drinking poison.

Cheers (or not) to everyone else on their own unique journey.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #737 on: January 09, 2021, 06:38:41 AM »
Sober win: I completely refreshed my wardrobe on less than three months worth of last year's alcohol spend!!!  I actually needed the clothes for a job, I wasn't just treating myself.

Our average was $127/month last year on booze for two adults, plus the occasional visitors or host gift. I drink mainly boxed wine and the occasional beer, but husband likes whiskey which gets expensive. He has stopped drinking for now too and has lost 20 lbs since mid-December.

I plan to extend my dry January until gatherings resume, and drink at social occasions only this year. We can use the wine/liquor we have in the house to bring when we finally get to go visiting.  It's possible that we could have zero alcohol spend this year (will make an exception if I get invited out somewhere with friends).

Looking for ideas on how to celebrate inauguration night sober!

Pop some San Pellegrino or sparkling cider!

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #738 on: January 09, 2021, 02:15:18 PM »
Congrats to Katekat and JPS I wish you luck, I just finished a calendar year no alcohol, like you I was sober curious, I am at 16 months now. I would love to hear how you feel and if the alcohol free time helps with your endurance training.

or those who are unsure if they will be able to quit, I went to my GP and got a prescription for Naltrexone. It blocks the receptors in your brain that make you feel drunk and you are supposed to take it while you are drinking. It was one of the odder experiences of my life and I only took it a few times but it was enough to break the imbibe>reward cycle. Without the reward receptors being activated, it was like I was *tasting* an entirely different drink, one that wasn't particularly pleasant.

I too tried Naltrexone, the Sinclair method AKA TSM, is where you take the pill only when you drink and it blocks the high you feel from alcohol. I think it could really be helpful to many who feel they just cant get off the hampster wheel and get any  kind of time between drinking episodes. One night I took Naltrexone, had my favorite beer, and  one hour later my spouse picked up the almost full can and said "are you finished ?"  I said ya, do we have any ice cream? Because e even my favorite beer became undesirable!
Naltrexone teaches you brain not to like alcohol. There is a documentary about it on netflics called one little pill. There are also some you tube videos people talking about there experience with it.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #739 on: January 09, 2021, 03:13:38 PM »
H and I shared a bottle of bubbly on NYE and haven't had any since.  Typically we have a few drinks on the weekend and not during the week unless there is a specific social event. 

One thing I am noticing this weekend, which I think is a Covid + winter thing: since we typically drink on Fri and Sat nights, it is a fun/special think to denote the weekend.  Now we are just home in our house, nothing to do, seeing no one, and it is depressing.  Of course it is still depressing with a bottle of wine in some ways!  But I have a feeling as long as we under these Covid restrictions it will be more tempting to drink on weekends. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #740 on: January 09, 2021, 03:59:19 PM »
H and I shared a bottle of bubbly on NYE and haven't had any since.  Typically we have a few drinks on the weekend and not during the week unless there is a specific social event. 

One thing I am noticing this weekend, which I think is a Covid + winter thing: since we typically drink on Fri and Sat nights, it is a fun/special think to denote the weekend.  Now we are just home in our house, nothing to do, seeing no one, and it is depressing.  Of course it is still depressing with a bottle of wine in some ways!  But I have a feeling as long as we under these Covid restrictions it will be more tempting to drink on weekends.

We do dealcoholized sparkling wine for celebrations now. I don't miss the alcohol part of it.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #741 on: January 09, 2021, 06:54:52 PM »
I just started reading "The Naked Mind" and it's been thought-provoking so far. It was interesting when the author posed the question of whether drinking alcohol was really a habit and asked the reader to imagine that someone offered them $500,000 to never drink alcohol again. If there was any hesitation at all, that reveals that it's not a habit, because a person would be fine giving up a habit for that much money. Very interesting to think about.

TrMama

« Reply #742 on: January 11, 2021, 11:17:19 AM »
Big congrats to everyone who's recently joined or is sticking with their plan to reduce alcohol consumption. I noticed an ad for a Dry February challenge being put on by the Canadian Cancer Society. If anyone finds external motivation helpful you could participate. I bet there's a similar US option out there somewhere too. This challenge involves fundraising and posting you commitment to Dry Feb on Facebook. Doing it this way may help some of us who were worried about going public to our friends and family.

https://www.dryfeb.ca/

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #743 on: January 16, 2021, 04:10:47 PM »
Haven't had anything since New Years. Sad (but not surprised) that I'm not feeling any benefits. Happy to report that even though I'm still regularly fixing DH drinks, I don't really crave one.

I do miss having something with a yummy flavor at the end of the day. Had too much ice cream the first week and tried Kombucha last week and it didn't do much for me.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #744 on: January 16, 2021, 04:49:56 PM »
Haven't had anything since New Years. Sad (but not surprised) that I'm not feeling any benefits. Happy to report that even though I'm still regularly fixing DH drinks, I don't really crave one.

I do miss having something with a yummy flavor at the end of the day. Had too much ice cream the first week and tried Kombucha last week and it didn't do much for me.

I got really into high end herbal teas

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #745 on: January 18, 2021, 11:12:47 AM »

I started making myself the odd fancy soda with the soda stream, slices of ginger, mint simple syrup or fruit juices from thawing frozen berries or cherries.  I think I like bubbles and the ritual of opening/mixing and limited quantity - unlike the jug of tap water that is never ending. And having a fancy glass has also made it special.

Stubblestache

• Stubble
« Reply #746 on: January 18, 2021, 02:35:33 PM »
Haven't drunk since NYE. Already started sleeping better and losing some weight. I'm listening to some great podcasts - Love Sober and Annie Grace, been hitting some online AA meetings too.
Very much on pink cloud right now and feeling great.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #747 on: January 18, 2021, 02:37:12 PM »
Haven't drunk since NYE. Already started sleeping better and losing some weight. I'm listening to some great podcasts - Love Sober and Annie Grace, been hitting some online AA meetings too.

Nice! How are the AA meetings?

Stubblestache

• Stubble
« Reply #748 on: January 20, 2021, 04:24:58 AM »

Nice! How are the AA meetings?

I'm in two minds on AA. There are some excellent, excellent elements. The comraderie of being around a bunch of people who totally get it (albeit virtually due to covid) is really nice.

It's also a great way of being constantly reminded of the reasons I quit, otherwise my brain too easily convinces itself that my drinking wasn't all that bad and I am capable of drinking like a normal person (I'm not and haven't been for at least a decade).

These two things alone make it worth me showing up to meetings frequently.

On the negative, it is very religion heavy, which as an atheist is not for me. There is also a lot of reverence put into what is known as the Big Book of Alcoholics Anon, which is understandable I guess but people treat it like a bible, when it's just the writings of two white men in the 50s, with all the exclusionary language and thought processes that era brings.

I don't really like the big book, and don't read it. I follow the steps because they are pragmatic helpful things that don't seem to require this reverence and faith that the big book brings up for a lot of people. With all due respect to the people that started the programme for me, it's about the people there now helping each other through, not what two men wrote decades ago.

But I'd say the same thing to anyone, male or female, religious or not - give it a go, you might just find something that really works.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #749 on: January 24, 2021, 10:07:49 AM »

Any recs? I've got a cabinet full of traditional medicinal and  tazo brand - but I tend to drink those daily.  I'm not sure what counts as "fancy" herbal tea.

Also- do y'all know if a dash or two of bitters works like regular alcohol in your body? I have lots of wonderful bitters and I was thinking I could add them to club soda. But I know they are technically alcoholic so didn't know if that would undo any good I was doing.