Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 309499 times)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #650 on: December 07, 2020, 09:56:58 AM »
I had about two ounces of white wine with dinner last week.  I didn't have any noticeable side effects but I also didn't have great joy in having the alcohol with my meal.  So on the weekend when we were having a stew that I made with some red wine, I didn't bother to have a glass (to finish the bottle).  With me not drinking our alcohol spending is way down because DH will not open a bottle just for himself. 

(on the plus side, I stopped drinking to help with symptoms of PTSD.  The symptoms have not been present since I really cut back to nearly stopped entirely. And the odd glass of wine is not causing them to return.  Or am I returning to previous patterns of consumption)  I think my new "not much of a drinker" behaviour is working for me.  Bring on the holidays!  So much of our Christmas traditions revolve around alcohol.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #651 on: December 07, 2020, 02:41:22 PM »
Frugal, it sounds like what you are doing is working great. I have anxiety and my medication is working much better without alcohol.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #652 on: December 07, 2020, 02:55:20 PM »
Still not drinking here, coming up on a year Jan 1st, with no intention of restarting despite having clearance from my MD to drink again if I want to.

I also still can't stand the smell or taste of alcohol anymore and don't feel the need to re-acquire a liking of it just so that I can drink again.

I think this is because I never originally acquired a taste for hard liquor. I always felt that the godawful taste of vodka really ruined a bloody Ceasar. I acquired a taste for wine and non-strong beer, but that's the extent of it, so it was easy for me to lose my taste for all alcohol.

DH has barely drank at all this year and hasn't had any for the past 3 months and he can still enjoy the taste. To me it's literally like trying to swallow gasoline now.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #653 on: December 07, 2020, 04:22:24 PM »
I can still appreciate the smell of the beer my husband brews but zero desire to drink it. I am coming up 3.5 years now and it remains one of the best decisions I ever made.

I think I mentioned this earlier but for anyone struggling/wanting a super supportive group, reddit's stop drinking subreddit are an amazing bunch of people.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #654 on: December 07, 2020, 05:27:49 PM »
Hello, my name is Steeze. I’m an alcoholic.

I have been a severe binge drinker at times in my life but have had it mostly in control the last few years. The last time I was really out of control ended up with two years of court ordered sobriety, counseling, education and community service followed by a couple years of self imposed sobriety. Slowly though the booze crept in. A beer here, a scotch there, usually only at company outings. I thought I could control it. I’ve definitely made some mistakes in recent years, but it was usually just one or two blowouts a year with being more or less sober in between.

Over the summer I was at a house warming party and got toasted in front of my pregnant wife. I broke my first rule - don’t drink in front of people you love. She was up late, around people smoking and being obnoxious, and had to drive me home, and she doesn’t like to drive.

Looking back I had drank nearly every day for months. Started with a beer at dinner on a Friday, then 2, then 3. Friday turned into a weekend, then a lime-Rita or two, then a scotch at dinner, then a double. Took almost a year for the progression. The lock down exacerbated the situation, I was bored, nothing to do, might as well have a drink right? And what fun is drinking if you don’t catch a little buzz?

Following the house warming incident I was embarrassed and decided to quit again. October was around the corner so I created a sober October group with my friends to make it easier (no one else made it through the month). I am about 12 weeks sober now. Think I will keep it going for the foreseeable future. My son is due in March and deserves a good role model. I hope he never sees me drunk.

Luckily the Christmas party was cancelled as were just about every other event. Should be easy to lay low. Will be a long time before people are even asking to go to a bar or throw a party with the pandemic in full swing.

On the wagon again - but a wise man once told me, you haven’t quit until your on your death bed looking back at all the sober years knowing that you’ll never be able to have a drink again. I, like many addicts, have to quit over and over again. May this time be the last.

Congrats to all the sober people here!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 07:28:11 PM by Steeze »

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #655 on: December 07, 2020, 07:22:15 PM »
I hope you make it Steze, 4 months is great, maybe try a year?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #656 on: December 07, 2020, 10:48:29 PM »
Steeze, you have lots to look forward to with a baby on the way. Glad you are sober.  Sounds like you are ready to commit to a alcohol free lifestyle.

Accrual

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #657 on: December 08, 2020, 04:46:10 AM »
Good luck, Steeze. Don't have a wife or kids but I can relate to the struggle of staying sober from drugs & alcohol.

Approaching 4 months for me. I am on medication that exacerbates hangover impacts so I have had little desire to drink.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 04:48:28 AM by Accrual »

MustachioedPistachio

• Stubble
« Reply #658 on: December 08, 2020, 12:55:26 PM »
I'm in.

I'm trying out the Alcohol Experiment for 30 days. My expectation is that it'll stick for the duration.

Cheers!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #659 on: December 08, 2020, 02:37:05 PM »
Good luck Steeze.  I hope you can find ways to cope with stress that is not so destructive. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #660 on: December 08, 2020, 02:39:08 PM »
I'm in.

I'm trying out the Alcohol Experiment for 30 days. My expectation is that it'll stick for the duration.

Cheers!

I recommend reading This Naked Mind at the same time, the two work really synergistically together IMO.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #661 on: December 08, 2020, 03:11:48 PM »
I cut back severely on alcohol and it’s really saved me some money while also helping me physically feel better. I realized just how much pressure there is on people in our culture to drink. It’s in every TV show, every movie, commercials, print ads with beautiful people, etc. I was watching “Supergirl” on TV which is a family show and I realized that every episode ended with the characters sitting together with a bottle of wine. I don’t know how we let it get this bad. So much misery comes from excessive drinking. We need to make more people aware of it.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #662 on: December 08, 2020, 03:29:48 PM »
Thanks for the support everyone!

Should be pretty easy - I don't have cravings or any physical / mental / social dependency this time around. Just something that I am too scared to lose if I mess up, which makes the decision easy.

I think the main struggle I have now is accepting my life is and will remain a cross between the movies Pleasantville and Groundhogs Day. How do you get excited about that? Sometimes I just want to do something risky, dangerous, and irresponsible - just let things get wild and out of control to see how far it can go, ya know? Hopefully I can find a healthy outlet for all that (I say this with my arm in a sling from skateboarding a handrail a couple weeks ago). As messed up as my life was, at least it was interesting. People ask me what I am up to now and its, "oh, still doing the same thing, just working a ton, trying to save." I don't even have a good story anymore! Of course there is the getting married, kids, etc. which is great, but predictable and basic life progression items. Maybe once we are FI and can move abroad that will fill the void a bit. Go live in Cambodia or something.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #663 on: December 08, 2020, 03:41:24 PM »
I cut back severely on alcohol and it’s really saved me some money while also helping me physically feel better. I realized just how much pressure there is on people in our culture to drink. It’s in every TV show, every movie, commercials, print ads with beautiful people, etc. I was watching “Supergirl” on TV which is a family show and I realized that every episode ended with the characters sitting together with a bottle of wine. I don’t know how we let it get this bad. So much misery comes from excessive drinking. We need to make more people aware of it.

Oh yeah, tv is brutal for that.

People on tv drink CONSTANTLY. It's as if there cannot possibly be a single scene of anyone socializing or even conversing without alcohol.

There's also never anyone who's like "no thanks, I don't drink" unless they're a recovering alcoholic.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #664 on: December 08, 2020, 06:19:15 PM »
I notice that in TV and movies a lot. Not to mention memes about drinking all over social media, often about moms using wine to cope with their kids. It's kinda sad and it all adds to the impression that everyone is drinking all the time, which just isn't true.
I've been doing pretty good lately, I don't have my usual social activities that include drinking and I don't really feel the urge to drink on my own. I think I've only had something to drink about 4 times in the past 6 weeks and each time has been only a small amount. This time last year I was probably drinking 3-5 nights a week, so it's a huge improvement for me and it feels good.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #665 on: December 12, 2020, 12:11:34 AM »

Should be pretty easy - I don't have cravings or any physical / mental / social dependency this time around. Just something that I am too scared to lose if I mess up, which makes the decision easy.

I think the main struggle I have now is accepting my life is and will remain a cross between the movies Pleasantville and Groundhogs Day. How do you get excited about that? Sometimes I just want to do something risky, dangerous, and irresponsible - just let things get wild and out of control to see how far it can go, ya know? Hopefully I can find a healthy outlet for all that (I say this with my arm in a sling from skateboarding a handrail a couple weeks ago). As messed up as my life was, at least it was interesting. People ask me what I am up to now and its, "oh, still doing the same thing, just working a ton, trying to save." I don't even have a good story anymore! Of course there is the getting married, kids, etc. which is great, but predictable and basic life progression items. Maybe once we are FI and can move abroad that will fill the void a bit. Go live in Cambodia or something.

Your response above reminds me of a motivational speaker i once saw, who used to do all sorts of risky things. IIRC, he loved BASE jumping. He said that one day he realized he was more afraid of living than dying. From there he was able to use that newfound knowledge to get himself in a spot to cut out the risky behavior. Unfortunately, I don’t recall the all the details and I’m, admittedly, not that knowledgeable on the topic, but I think it’s something to consider. What is it in real life that you’re afraid of, that leads you to engage in risky behavior for fun?

Nice job on cutting out the drinking. Sounds like it was the right decision for you.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #666 on: December 12, 2020, 06:51:36 AM »

Your response above reminds me of a motivational speaker i once saw, who used to do all sorts of risky things. IIRC, he loved BASE jumping. He said that one day he realized he was more afraid of living than dying. From there he was able to use that newfound knowledge to get himself in a spot to cut out the risky behavior. Unfortunately, I don’t recall the all the details and I’m, admittedly, not that knowledgeable on the topic, but I think it’s something to consider. What is it in real life that you’re afraid of, that leads you to engage in risky behavior for fun?

Nice job on cutting out the drinking. Sounds like it was the right decision for you.

It would probably be easier to scratch the “exciting experience” itch if the pandemic wasn’t happening and people could travel again. I’ve been trying to get those hits of dopamine by using a virtual reality headset to visit exotic locations and have interesting experiences. It’s not quite the same as actually being somewhere new doing something exciting, but it helps a lot. With technology being what it is today, you can do VR with your smartphone with a simple cardboard headset you can buy online, so it’s not even all that expensive to do, which keeps it Mustachian.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #667 on: December 12, 2020, 07:21:26 AM »

So there's a void you feel that needs filling.

That's fine, everyone has that at some point, but the mistake is to try and fill it with external things. People always try to do this with jobs, achievements, beauty, possessions, or in your case, risk taking.

You mention not having a "good story", but truly, what does that matter? Nobody gives a shit about the things you've done, so how they perceive your stories doesn't really matter.
Besides, you can spin literally anything, so if your stories are sounding boring it's because you've decided they're boring.

So then it's a matter of actually living these adventures. What do these risky experiences mean to you? What unmet need are they trying to satisfy?

Why is risk taking your definition of adventure? A lot of adventure is low risk. I've had some wild adventures that involved very little risk, a TON of challenge, but no appreciable risk to me other than failing at what I was trying to do.

Why is your definition of "interesting" predicated on recklessness?

Also, why are you choosing to perceive getting married and having kids as boring? There's a reason most people leave behind the type of risk taking you're talking about, and that's because marriage and kids is incredibly challenging. Just because most people do it doesn't mean it's easy.

Oh, and the risk to your personal wellbeing is ENORMOUS. Marriage and kids might not snap your spine in half, but it can sure eviscerate your mental health, sanity, if you're like most people, compromise your physical health through increasing neglect of your own self care. Divorce can also fuck your finances as badly as a cocaine problem.

Now that's personal risk.

To me, there is nothing more risky than having children. I don't have any and the whole thing just looks fucking insane to me. Hardcore, incredibly dangerous to your mental health and marriage, and a HUGE risk of taking on the unknown because you have absolutely no way of predicting if your kid grows up to be a monster.

You want risk? You want to be pushed to your limits? You want to feel like you're always on the end of losing control in your life?
Have a kid.

I don't have kids and never will, I don't have the stomach for that insanity. I also happen to be someone who has lived a far too interesting life, filled with astronomical risks, and yeah, I've got some fucking insane stories, but even then, as I said, no one really gives a shit.

None of this is to say that there's anything wrong with wanting to adventure and to live an unconventional life. Tons of people do it in mentally healthy ways. However, what I'm hearing from you sounds more like psychological discomfort with your life, which is concerning, and I recommend digging into it now before a baby usurps all of your emotional resources.

I also caution heavily against just projecting out your ideal life to some imagined future. Living for the future absolutely poisons your present. Figure out what it is that you aren't satisfied with in your current life. It may be your circumstances, which you can change, it it may be something emotional underneath, which hey, you can also change ;)

Lastly, in terms of alcohol, I really responded well to Allen Carr's book. It completely reframed alcohol for me, and I no longer see it as this fun-adding thing. My main reason for not drinking anymore now is that it's lame, and it's something boring people do to try and fake feeling cool.

If I want my life to be more interesting, I have to *be* more interesting and make it that way. Pouring a drink is just a sad imitation of interesting. It's what people do to prevent themselves from actually doing anything, to keep themselves in their bored holding patterns.

Drinking made me more boring, not sobriety. Sobriety makes boredom more uncomfortable, which makes me far more likely to be more interesting.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #668 on: December 12, 2020, 07:45:46 AM »

In the early days I think it was a bit of depression and an attitude of nothing to lose, disregard for life, and a bit of feeling disadvantaged. Used to say that I’d rather die with adrenaline in my veins and a smile on my face than grow old. At some point I think an actual addiction to adrenaline took over.

In general I was a pretty angry young person, hated my parents for being poor, and hated every person with more money than me for having an easier life. Took me a lot of years to break out of that mindset.

Perhaps now the idea of arriving at the end of life without having lived an authentic life - of never becoming the eccentric, the artist, the explorer, the builder, the athlete. What if I grow old and never accomplish anything out of the ordinary? What if I never become self reliant? Never homestead? So scared of risk that you’re doomed to have an unremarkable life. What if you spend your whole life only doing what your supposed to do?

I have this idea that if you were to graph the experiences of your life over time it would look like a graph of a sine wave. The best of times at positive 1, the worst of times at -1, these are your “peak experiences”. When you look back over your life your memories are these peak experiences and everything else fades into nothing. By forcing your life to be reserved, restrained, safe, and secure you are dampening your sine wave, never reaching the extremes. A life filled with unrememberable days.

ETA: funny thing about drinking - a lot of time was spent drinking to forget the day. Or at parties with people I no longer remember. Some of those times I do remember I wish I did not. Hell, most of the times I wish I could forget were times I was drinking - seems that wildness doesn’t always have the intended effect.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 08:47:37 AM by Steeze »

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #669 on: December 12, 2020, 08:33:29 AM »
@Malcat - your right about having a kid being an enormous risk. It is probably the scariest thing I’ve ever done. So much is out of my control, just sit and wait and hope that life will not be completely derailed by the unexpected. It is terrifying.

I also don’t mean to say that getting married and having kids is boring - it is an adventure in itself. My wife is the best thing that ever happened to me, she is precious. I’m scared of losing her more than anything else in life. I think what I meant by it is that it is predictable and expected, unremarkable in that way. Of course your going to get married and have kids eventually, but what else are you going to accomplish?

Just want to avoid my life being: go to school, go to college, get a job, get married, buy a house, have kids, get promoted, retire, move to Florida, play shuffleboard and bingo until I’m too sick to move, then die in a nursing home. Of course all of those things are adventures, but unremarkable.

But yeah - why the need for a good story? Not sure - maybe it is from my days as a bartender and waiter, always exchanging stories with strangers. Some people are very interesting and have unbelievable life experiences, some are not and you get them their drink and forget them.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #670 on: December 12, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »
@Steeze I think we are kindred spirits. I've found myself drinking a lot more this year than in the past, just to fill the void, or to calm down.  Sometimes when I'm on that third drink it feels like I'm actually having a good time.

Seasonal depression hit me harder than usual this year too. I don't think I'm actually an alcoholic because my "little interest or pleasure in things I normally enjoy" extends to drinking. I've been sober for a little over a week now with no cravings.

I like your sine wave analogy. I recently spoke to a friend from my past, who reminded me of a time when mine was bigger, and I took more risks. Lately I'm feeling trapped by the pandemic and my responsibilities.

On those stories: do you remember the one about the two men in the hospital room? The one next to the window  would tell the other one what he saw outside?

Anyway, a good story teller can make anything sound interesting.

ETA I plan to stay sober for a while till I sort some things out

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #671 on: December 12, 2020, 11:23:53 AM »

So there's a void you feel that needs filling.

That's fine, everyone has that at some point, but the mistake is to try and fill it with external things. People always try to do this with jobs, achievements, beauty, possessions, or in your case, risk taking.

You mention not having a "good story", but truly, what does that matter? Nobody gives a shit about the things you've done, so how they perceive your stories doesn't really matter.
Besides, you can spin literally anything, so if your stories are sounding boring it's because you've decided they're boring.

So then it's a matter of actually living these adventures. What do these risky experiences mean to you? What unmet need are they trying to satisfy?

Why is risk taking your definition of adventure? A lot of adventure is low risk. I've had some wild adventures that involved very little risk, a TON of challenge, but no appreciable risk to me other than failing at what I was trying to do.

Why is your definition of "interesting" predicated on recklessness?

Also, why are you choosing to perceive getting married and having kids as boring? There's a reason most people leave behind the type of risk taking you're talking about, and that's because marriage and kids is incredibly challenging. Just because most people do it doesn't mean it's easy.

Oh, and the risk to your personal wellbeing is ENORMOUS. Marriage and kids might not snap your spine in half, but it can sure eviscerate your mental health, sanity, if you're like most people, compromise your physical health through increasing neglect of your own self care. Divorce can also fuck your finances as badly as a cocaine problem.

Now that's personal risk.

To me, there is nothing more risky than having children. I don't have any and the whole thing just looks fucking insane to me. Hardcore, incredibly dangerous to your mental health and marriage, and a HUGE risk of taking on the unknown because you have absolutely no way of predicting if your kid grows up to be a monster.

You want risk? You want to be pushed to your limits? You want to feel like you're always on the end of losing control in your life?
Have a kid.

I don't have kids and never will, I don't have the stomach for that insanity. I also happen to be someone who has lived a far too interesting life, filled with astronomical risks, and yeah, I've got some fucking insane stories, but even then, as I said, no one really gives a shit.

None of this is to say that there's anything wrong with wanting to adventure and to live an unconventional life. Tons of people do it in mentally healthy ways. However, what I'm hearing from you sounds more like psychological discomfort with your life, which is concerning, and I recommend digging into it now before a baby usurps all of your emotional resources.

I also caution heavily against just projecting out your ideal life to some imagined future. Living for the future absolutely poisons your present. Figure out what it is that you aren't satisfied with in your current life. It may be your circumstances, which you can change, it it may be something emotional underneath, which hey, you can also change ;)

Lastly, in terms of alcohol, I really responded well to Allen Carr's book. It completely reframed alcohol for me, and I no longer see it as this fun-adding thing. My main reason for not drinking anymore now is that it's lame, and it's something boring people do to try and fake feeling cool.

If I want my life to be more interesting, I have to *be* more interesting and make it that way. Pouring a drink is just a sad imitation of interesting. It's what people do to prevent themselves from actually doing anything, to keep themselves in their bored holding patterns.

Drinking made me more boring, not sobriety. Sobriety makes boredom more uncomfortable, which makes me far more likely to be more interesting.

Sometimes I just want to bask in Malcat's responses to various threads...

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #672 on: December 12, 2020, 12:05:55 PM »
@Malcat - your right about having a kid being an enormous risk. It is probably the scariest thing I’ve ever done. So much is out of my control, just sit and wait and hope that life will not be completely derailed by the unexpected. It is terrifying.

I also don’t mean to say that getting married and having kids is boring - it is an adventure in itself. My wife is the best thing that ever happened to me, she is precious. I’m scared of losing her more than anything else in life. I think what I meant by it is that it is predictable and expected, unremarkable in that way. Of course your going to get married and have kids eventually, but what else are you going to accomplish?

Just want to avoid my life being: go to school, go to college, get a job, get married, buy a house, have kids, get promoted, retire, move to Florida, play shuffleboard and bingo until I’m too sick to move, then die in a nursing home. Of course all of those things are adventures, but unremarkable.

But yeah - why the need for a good story? Not sure - maybe it is from my days as a bartender and waiter, always exchanging stories with strangers. Some people are very interesting and have unbelievable life experiences, some are not and you get them their drink and forget them.

I've known a lot of those great bar story guys. Some are super cool, some are total fucking losers who think having adventure anecdotes is a personality trait.

I've got a lot of stories I don't tell because they tend to stress people out, and the vast majority of my life is no one's god damn business.

My life now is wonderfully dull. Still, I manage to have a lot of really fascinating and engaging conversations despite my life being intensely and blissfully boring from a risk taking perspective. Far more boring than the life of any parent, and I bask in the mundane magnificence of my virtually risk free existence on a daily basis.

No matter how boring my life gets though, no one has ever accused me of being boring, and no one walks away from a conversation with me without feeling at least a little knocked off kilter because that's how I roll.

I don't need to risk the integrity of my limbs to be interesting. I don't need to risk anything of any importance, nor do I have to harken back to my old days of chaos in order to still feel interesting, like the guy who has to reach back to his highschool days to find the last time he felt his life was exciting. As I said, I rarely actually share my most exceptional history with anyone because I don't connect with it as who I am anymore.

I've also hung around with people who have done the most interesting things on earth, and you know what? They're just normal people like everyone else. Billionaires? Normal people. Stunt people who travel the world setting themselves on fire and jumping from helicopters?  Normal people. Gang members? Normal people aside from being dangerous. Spies? Normal people. Combat pilots? Normal people. Professional athletes? Normal people.

People are just people. Some people get deeply affected by their various experiences and some don't. Some become far more interesting, some don't. Some get royally psychologically fucked up, some become infinitely wiser and cooler. It depends.

In the end though, experiences are not who people are.
Who they are is who they are, and every once in awhile you get to meet people who are incredible to spend time with, and the thing all of those people have in common?
They're 100% cool with who they are and don't feel the need to be anything else.

The most exceptional, unusual, fascinating, and subversive thing a person can be in our society is satisfied with themselves.

So if you genuinely don't want your life to be the way you are *choosing* for it to be, then go ahead and do something different. No one is stopping you. However, if it's just nagging you that the life you actually want doesn't fit with some preconceived notion of coolness, then reflect deeply on what actually matters to you, and set your own definition of cool. You absolutely have the power to do so.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 12:47:52 PM by Malcat »

MustachioedPistachio

• Stubble
« Reply #673 on: December 18, 2020, 09:09:27 AM »
This is my 11th day free of booze and 8th free of caffeine.

Wow.

I've truly not experienced this chemical-free state since I was a young child. It's incredible. Freeing. Joyful. And it gets better each day.

I read The Naked Mind in conjunction with the 30-day experiment, but, frankly, the book does a great job laying bare what I was afraid to be true and quickly accelerated my decision to not drink anymore. The supplemental videos with the experiment dovetail nicely and are great reinforcement.

Thanks for the thread, guys!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #674 on: December 18, 2020, 09:17:33 AM »
This is my 11th day free of booze and 8th free of caffeine.

Wow.

I've truly not experienced this chemical-free state since I was a young child. It's incredible. Freeing. Joyful. And it gets better each day.

I read The Naked Mind in conjunction with the 30-day experiment, but, frankly, the book does a great job laying bare what I was afraid to be true and quickly accelerated my decision to not drink anymore. The supplemental videos with the experiment dovetail nicely and are great reinforcement.

Thanks for the thread, guys!

The real benefit of the 30 day experiment isn't the videos, it's the exercises. They seem kind of hokey, but there's excellent cognitive research demonstrating how producing content to support an idea is far more solidifying than just receiving a message that resonates with you. That's why teachers engage students with exercises, not just lectures.

That's the rationale behind things like writing down intentions, engaging helps rewire your thinking as an active participant of the information, not just a passive receiver of information.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #675 on: December 19, 2020, 08:11:52 AM »
I really liked the daily videos from Annie Grace I felt like I was quitting with someone. You can join the alcohol experiment online,(for free) and or buy her book this naked mind. Good luck.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #676 on: December 29, 2020, 10:01:21 PM »
An unexpected positive side effect of quitting drinking - much fewer mosquito bites. I used to be eaten alive and now they don't seem to bite me nearly as much.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #677 on: December 30, 2020, 09:31:22 AM »
An unexpected positive side effect of quitting drinking - much fewer mosquito bites. I used to be eaten alive and now they don't seem to bite me nearly as much.

Bad when even the mosquitoes in your area are boozers

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #678 on: December 30, 2020, 11:47:13 AM »

Bad when even the mosquitoes in your area are boozers

Must be Wisconsin?   :)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #679 on: January 01, 2021, 05:02:26 AM »
Hey folks, just checked in to say that I gave up the hooch a year ago.

Wowza.

It really was such a good year to not drink, I've gotta say.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #680 on: January 01, 2021, 05:13:37 AM »

Wowza.

Congratulations @Malcat

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #681 on: January 01, 2021, 05:17:39 AM »
I cut back on the booze significantly this past month after getting actual treatment for my anxiety disorder. I had a 2-3 glass/day wine habit and have reduced it to 2-3 per week. I rarely even crave it now, and I feel so good when I wake up in the morning.  I lost a couple pounds too. 

I did have a couple glasses last night, but after that bottle is empty I'm dry for the rest of January.  After that, I'm thinking Saturdays and special occasions only. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #682 on: January 01, 2021, 06:15:52 AM »
I wonder if we'll get any new Jan 1st joiners/returners??

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #683 on: January 01, 2021, 06:40:02 AM »
I wonder if we'll get any new Jan 1st joiners/returners??

Me! H and I are giving it up for Jan. Not necessarily planning to stop drinking beyond that and we specifically excluded hypothetical in person work happy hours (which there is a zero percent chance of happening this month).

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #684 on: January 01, 2021, 09:21:43 AM »
I guess I will join as well.
Have never been a big drinker but I aim to not drink at all this year.
Curious to see if I can make it.

Exception is probably going to be my birthday when I will get toasted. My family most likely won't stand for non-alcoholic drinks, but I will give it a go but not be insisting, as I don't want to spoil my b/day with any sort of argument.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #685 on: January 01, 2021, 09:46:31 AM »
It's ten years for me this spring! Life is good free from alcohol. Wishing everyone well who is trying this.
I was an every day drinker in the years before I quit, but it took an emotionally trying experience (divorce) to get me to quit.
So glad i did.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #686 on: January 01, 2021, 12:48:22 PM »

Wowza.

Absolutely.  I shudder to think about my mental state right now if I had still been drinking when the pandemic hit...

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #687 on: January 02, 2021, 12:57:42 PM »
It’s been 5 months and I have lost 28 pounds. Welcome to the people just starting!

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #688 on: January 02, 2021, 02:39:48 PM »
I'm going to give it a shot again. I've stopped drinking on and off to try and achieve better sleep and it honestly hasn't worked for me thus far, and I even gained weight the last couple tries.

I'm going to shoot for a minimum of 10 weeks to see if I can get the better sleep going (which I suspect will also help w/ weight loss).

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #689 on: January 02, 2021, 02:44:33 PM »
I'm going to give it a shot again. I've stopped drinking on and off to try and achieve better sleep and it honestly hasn't worked for me thus far, and I even gained weight the last couple tries.

I'm going to shoot for a minimum of 10 weeks to see if I can get the better sleep going (which I suspect will also help w/ weight loss).

It can take quite awhile for sleep to adjust and for cravings to reduce.

I don't think I felt the real benefits until around 12 weeks.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #690 on: January 03, 2021, 07:05:46 AM »
I felt a bump in energy at 3 months as well and again at six months. I did sleep better after a couple of weeks but a friend says it took a while for her to get to a better place sleep wise. If you do have an insomia problem you could ask your MD or a specialist to prescribe something temporarily. I started Melatonin when I quit drinking as I used Beer to help me sleep. It worked and still mostly works for me.
Good luck on the not drinking, it really takes some time to recover from alcohol , even if you do not drink that much, and it is totally worth it!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #691 on: January 03, 2021, 07:11:33 AM »
I felt a bump in energy at 3 months as well and again at six months. I did sleep better after a couple of weeks but a friend says it took a while for her to get to a better place sleep wise. If you do have an insomia problem you could ask your MD or a specialist to prescribe something temporarily. I started Melatonin when I quit drinking as I used Beer to help me sleep. It worked and still mostly works for me.
Good luck on the not drinking, it really takes some time to recover from alcohol , even if you do not drink that much, and it is totally worth it!

Yeah, according to Annie Grace's content, it takes a full 10 days for alcohol to stop directly impacting the system. Only after that can the system start really re-equilibrating itself.

A lot of systemic bodily changes take a few months, that's totally normal.

I never got an energy bump because I have an illness that keeps me exhausted, but around 3 months I started waking up much happier. Mornings always sucked, and then suddenly they didn't. I was pretty much instantly in a decent to good mood the moment I woke up.

I have no idea if that was the alcohol or the absence of craving coffee, but it was probably both.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #692 on: January 03, 2021, 07:19:57 AM »

Anxiety was causing both my insomnia and my alcohol cravings. I take trazodone and an SSRI and I sleep so much better now.  When I wasn't on the meds I was white-knucling through my alcohol free stints, and I really didn't get any better sleep.

I can now have the occasional drink without craving it every day. I'm still going to go alcohol-free until social gatherings resume!! I feel so much better when I wake up in the morning if I don't drink.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #693 on: January 03, 2021, 10:26:18 AM »
Luckily after a week I felt great and my sleep returned. It took my friend 3 months for this to happen. It’s really individual. Then without drinking I am sure my anxiety medication could finally work.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #694 on: January 04, 2021, 09:16:11 AM »
Thanks all for the posts on how long it took everyone's bodies to reset. I remember being very discouraged the last time I posted on this thread because so many people were like "I feel so much after 10 days!" and I was on week 5 w/ no noticeable improvements.

I'll commit to trying this out again for 3 months and then re-evaluating. I really want better sleep and I want my body to just feel better. I certainly don't drink too much compared to the wide world, but maybe I drink too much for my body? But I feel so crappy all of the time that I'm willing to give it a shot again.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #695 on: January 04, 2021, 09:50:03 AM »
Thanks all for the posts on how long it took everyone's bodies to reset. I remember being very discouraged the last time I posted on this thread because so many people were like "I feel so much after 10 days!" and I was on week 5 w/ no noticeable improvements.

I'll commit to trying this out again for 3 months and then re-evaluating. I really want better sleep and I want my body to just feel better. I certainly don't drink too much compared to the wide world, but maybe I drink too much for my body? But I feel so crappy all of the time that I'm willing to give it a shot again.

Yeah, I think that's a good plan.  Like Malcat, I have chronic health issues not related to booze, and giving up booze didn't change my appearance or chronic pain or energy level or anything like that.  But at around 3.5 weeks, I got a huge emotional improvement; I also had struggled with apathy or mild depression every morning for years, and suddenly I was waking up feeling fine, not super excited or bouncing with energy, but just pleasantly anticipating my day.  I didn't realize how shitty I felt every morning until suddenly I wasn't feeling that way any more.

Unrelated to drinking, I assume you've been checked for thyroid problems, low B-12, etc., if you a feeling consistently draggy and down?

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #696 on: January 04, 2021, 11:37:48 AM »
I have been having the odd drink over the last three weeks.  And sleeping atrociously.  I think it is time to get back on the track of no alcohol.

Did I not realize how much holiday celebrations were entangled with alcoholic beverages...even in Covid? Yes, I had no idea that my internal idea of how to celebrate and what constitutes a special was so wrapped together with booze. Two neighbours invited us for a driveway beverage. Mulled wine and champagne.  New Years Eve and 59th wedding anniversary. Many gifts of wine and prosecco and champagne left on our front porch.  Quite troubling to discover.  But good for me to understand.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #697 on: January 04, 2021, 04:38:31 PM »

Wowza.

Absolutely.  Congrats!  I took some time off at the beginning of the pandemic, but then started drinking wine occasionally again.  Then in October, I went on Effexor, which says in the insert "don't use alcohol while on this".  So... I need to cancel those wine club memberships.  In the meantime, my neighbors got some good wine for Christmas.

You know, I don't actually miss it at all.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #698 on: January 04, 2021, 04:58:17 PM »
I have been having the odd drink over the last three weeks.  And sleeping atrociously.  I think it is time to get back on the track of no alcohol.

Did I not realize how much holiday celebrations were entangled with alcoholic beverages...even in Covid? Yes, I had no idea that my internal idea of how to celebrate and what constitutes a special was so wrapped together with booze. Two neighbours invited us for a driveway beverage. Mulled wine and champagne.  New Years Eve and 59th wedding anniversary. Many gifts of wine and prosecco and champagne left on our front porch.  Quite troubling to discover.  But good for me to understand.

This was a big one for me, slowly reprogramming that celebration and booze don't actually make any sense in terms of being connected.

It's also made me be a lot more creative in how I celebrate things. It now seems to make a lot more sense to tailor each celebration to the thing being celebrated, as opposed to "oh, I have something to celebrate, let me grab a bottle of champagne".

Booze now seems like a lazy and paltry way to celebrate anything.

I celebrated one year sober by hiking a mountain in the snow with my sister.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #699 on: January 04, 2021, 07:49:15 PM »

Yeah, I think that's a good plan.  Like Malcat, I have chronic health issues not related to booze, and giving up booze didn't change my appearance or chronic pain or energy level or anything like that.  But at around 3.5 weeks, I got a huge emotional improvement; I also had struggled with apathy or mild depression every morning for years, and suddenly I was waking up feeling fine, not super excited or bouncing with energy, but just pleasantly anticipating my day.  I didn't realize how shitty I felt every morning until suddenly I wasn't feeling that way any more.
I am another one that never got the Pink Cloud halo effect of quitting, otoh I never got the letdown once that bubble burst either. Around month 4, my weight started drifting downwards, and I am now down 10kg from my heaviest, and around month 6 or 7 I realised that my overall anxiety had stabilised and that it had been weeks since I had woken up at 3am to hate on myself for no good reason.
I didn't realize how shitty I felt every morning until suddenly I wasn't feeling that way any more.
<<- SO MUCH THIS PART HERE.