Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 307866 times)

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #1250 on: December 31, 2021, 03:05:39 PM »
Well this thread is stay sober as long as you please... so if you have a planned drinking session that is fine.

My point is the longer you stay away the more powerful the rewards.

I did the same thing, I quit for 7 months, had a planned party with a bunch of friends who drink every day and then I was going on vacation with them to an all you can eat and drink place! SO I drank for two months and quit again on the way back from vacation. I then gave into temptation a couple months later and drank for six more months before I decided THIS IS  it, I am going to quit for a year or more, that was 2 years and 4 months ago. September 1 2019. ( I had to look it up I thought I was at 2.5 years) Anyway since then I have had a divirce and my life changed quite a bit but have managed to stay off the booze.

I reccomend jouranling before and after you quit to give you some perspective on how you feel before and after, I look at that stuff when I feel triggered to go back or just to try a beer.

Good luck to all

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1251 on: December 31, 2021, 03:18:54 PM »
My point is the longer you stay away the more powerful the rewards.

Oh yes I understood exactly what you meant and your advice really resonates with me. Five weeks will be enough of a challenge for me and I don't want to make things so hard that I fail. Maybe I'll do another challenge after the trip and evolve from there like you did.

I reccomend jouranling before and after you quit to give you some perspective on how you feel before and after, I look at that stuff when I feel triggered to go back or just to try a beer.

Ok, journaling has never stuck, but I'll try. I ordered Annie Grace's "The Alcohol Experiment," which I look forward to reading once it arrives.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1252 on: December 31, 2021, 03:53:18 PM »
@LightStache

I ordered Annie Grace's "The Alcohol Experiment," which I look forward to reading once it arrives.

That book is excellent!!! She made so many people want to take a break and or quit entirely. she has a web site where you sign up and she sends an email every day for 30 days so consider that in January for additional support ( It is free at least at first).

You are gonna do great you have all your ducks in a row.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #1253 on: January 01, 2022, 08:16:19 PM »
Today marks One Year (and one day) Without Alcohol for me. I post here occasionally, but honestly haven't ended up thinking about this all that much as the year goes by. I did The Alcohol Experiment at the beginning of the year, which was helpful for me, and then I kinda just, got back to my life. Except for things like weddings, I didn't really notice alcohol or my lack of it, except for when I realized that I had simplified one more element of my life. I feel like I am back to my style of life before I drank, which is just that alcohol takes up no space in my head and I am free to be a person, however I choose that to be.

The good: no headaches or stomach aches from drinking, which were becoming more prevalent. No more spending my allowance on beer, so I have been invest more into cycling, which is now an incredibly important part of my life. The last benefit that I was not expecting was Simplicity. I didn't have to stop by the beer cooler whenever I went grocery stopping, even if only to look at what the prices were this week. I didn't have to try to plan ahead for the week to make sure I didn't drink my one 6-pack too early if I had something going on later. I don't have empty cans on my coffee table anymore from when I would drink a beer at night and go straight to bed. I also don't know, or care, anymore what the new trendy beer offerings are from the breweries in my area - that is to say I've freed up a bunch of head space for more valuable things.

The bad: Many of my problems are still my problems. Except for any alcohol related problems, I am still faced by all of my inadequacies and shortcomings in life, as well as unfortunate circumstances out of my control. I had an amazing and energetic pink cloud experience for the first few months of the year, and as that faded I realized that I am still fallible and so is everything around me, and I must get back to doing the Work. It has been freeing that beer no longer helps me to avoid my problems. This is a conscious decision I've had to make, to face my problems, rather than to try to find some other substance to help avoid them with. Even though quitting alcohol didn't solve my problems, I think that I am truly better off without it in the way.

Thanks to everyone who contributes here - I love to lurk and read how things are going for you all. As for me, I plan to continue Not Drinking.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1254 on: January 02, 2022, 09:35:47 AM »
Today marks One Year (and one day) Without Alcohol for me. I post here occasionally, but honestly haven't ended up thinking about this all that much as the year goes by. I did The Alcohol Experiment at the beginning of the year, which was helpful for me, and then I kinda just, got back to my life. Except for things like weddings, I didn't really notice alcohol or my lack of it, except for when I realized that I had simplified one more element of my life. I feel like I am back to my style of life before I drank, which is just that alcohol takes up no space in my head and I am free to be a person, however I choose that to be.

The good: no headaches or stomach aches from drinking, which were becoming more prevalent. No more spending my allowance on beer, so I have been invest more into cycling, which is now an incredibly important part of my life. The last benefit that I was not expecting was Simplicity. I didn't have to stop by the beer cooler whenever I went grocery stopping, even if only to look at what the prices were this week. I didn't have to try to plan ahead for the week to make sure I didn't drink my one 6-pack too early if I had something going on later. I don't have empty cans on my coffee table anymore from when I would drink a beer at night and go straight to bed. I also don't know, or care, anymore what the new trendy beer offerings are from the breweries in my area - that is to say I've freed up a bunch of head space for more valuable things.

The bad: Many of my problems are still my problems. Except for any alcohol related problems, I am still faced by all of my inadequacies and shortcomings in life, as well as unfortunate circumstances out of my control. I had an amazing and energetic pink cloud experience for the first few months of the year, and as that faded I realized that I am still fallible and so is everything around me, and I must get back to doing the Work. It has been freeing that beer no longer helps me to avoid my problems. This is a conscious decision I've had to make, to face my problems, rather than to try to find some other substance to help avoid them with. Even though quitting alcohol didn't solve my problems, I think that I am truly better off without it in the way.

Thanks to everyone who contributes here - I love to lurk and read how things are going for you all. As for me, I plan to continue Not Drinking.

Your description of The Bad is what I found as well, and a few years further on, I now view the The Bad as THE BEST b/c it did lead me to doing work that has immeasurably improved my life.

Congratulations and happy New Year.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1255 on: January 14, 2022, 06:07:42 PM »
A while ago someone (Malcat?) suggested teas.

All I had was Tazo from the grocery store which wasn't particularly thrilling so the tea thing hadn't really resonated with me. But my husband got me a fun tea advent calendar for Christmas.

I ordered several of my favorite flavors from the calendar and now I am really enjoying some teas :)

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #1256 on: January 22, 2022, 07:13:44 PM »
Thought I’d bump up this thread.

On NYEs I had a full glass of wine. Since early April 2021, I had had a full glass maybe twice before. I started to wonder if that meant I might slide back into old habits. But, I didn’t want that to happen, so made a conscious decision not to drink in the immediate days that followed. Then, the desire passed altogether and now 3 weeks have gone by with me not even thinking about it at all. Happy with that, as life is so much better without alcohol.

On a different note, something strange happened with my closest family members and I wonder if anyone else ever experienced this. When I drank (which was never a large amount - I was a one glass of wine type drinker), my mom would harp on me about how she worried about my drinking, that it wasn’t good for me, etc. But, when I quit, she seemed somewhat apathetic and almost intimated that drinking some wine is good for me! It was just so odd. I guess I was hoping she’d be more supportive, perhaps proud that I gave up such a negative vice…anyone else experience this?

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1257 on: January 23, 2022, 06:16:00 AM »
That is a damn if you do damn if you don’t situation! I would say the only supportive people I have encountered are other non drinkers. My mother will occasionally offer me wine or ask me to finish her glass when we go out. I have been a non drinker for 2.5 years and she still offers me wine and she herself barely drinks. Most people recognize that I don’t drink and never ask about it.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #1258 on: January 23, 2022, 07:49:34 AM »
@LeftA , you and I went AF at the same time, Easter 2021.  Glad to hear you doing so well and happy with the change.  Me too!  The Alcohol Experiment program supports everyone making their own choices but warns that managing moderate drinking can be tougher than just quitting.  That rang true for me so I've haven't had any alcohol since. 

This was my first dry holiday season and it was easier than expected.  The covid induced lack of parties helped I am sure but I didn't miss it.  I enjoyed a clear head, time with my family and excellent sleep.

I haven't experienced any wheedling about not drinking like you have.  A simple no thank you has been enough and I am grateful.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1259 on: January 25, 2022, 11:22:50 AM »
Moderation takes a lot of work and thinking about drinking. It was a big failure for me.,

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1260 on: January 25, 2022, 01:27:52 PM »
Heading into my 4th dry Australia Day, this time going to a BBQ with people that I used to drink with. I'll possibly buy some NA beer as camouflage but it might be kombucha or a flavoured soda water. At this point, my life has just improved so much that it's not a temptation for me.

The 585

« Reply #1261 on: January 25, 2022, 02:11:24 PM »
Back at it! Almost through Dry January and will try to keep it going into a dry 2022 for as long as possible!

For those of you who have friends/family who drink, how do you deal with "hey, try a sip of this wine/beer, it's really good!"? How strictly do you draw the line? I've completely abstained from all sips this month, but I guess it depends how nitpicky you wanna be.

And what do you guys think about nonalcoholic beers since they're becoming a thing? I know they still have around 0.5% alcohol but are they an acceptable alternative?

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1262 on: January 25, 2022, 02:21:44 PM »
@Geographer - re offered sips, I will either say "no thanks!" in an upbeat way or smell it and comment. I wouldn't drink it because I don't drink alcohol. :)

Some people find NA beers problematic and likely to trigger them to drink again. I didn't drink them for the first couple of years but that was mostly because at that time they were all pretty nasty but now the craft brewers are starting to make them. They can be useful social camouflage and some of them are very tasty. It's about the same level as kombucha.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1263 on: January 25, 2022, 02:28:59 PM »
Back at it! Almost through Dry January and will try to keep it going into a dry 2022 for as long as possible!

For those of you who have friends/family who drink, how do you deal with "hey, try a sip of this wine/beer, it's really good!"? How strictly do you draw the line? I've completely abstained from all sips this month, but I guess it depends how nitpicky you wanna be.

And what do you guys think about nonalcoholic beers since they're becoming a thing? I know they still have around 0.5% alcohol but are they an acceptable alternative?

I tend to just say no thank you if it is something I don't love.

But I am not a 100% abstainer. I still have an occasional drink with my husband on a Sunday afternoon because Sunday margaritas has been our thing since the kids were born. At Christmas my FIL bought a really nice bottle of wine so I had a couple of ounces because he was so proud of the bottle.

I don't do NA beers because I don't love beer, but I have bought the tequila alternative and used it for polomas and margaritas. They were decent and nice when I got sick of water.

I agree with Cassie that moderation is often harder for me just because of the mental space it takes up. When I am stressed or having decision fatigue I know it is easier to just go completely dry.

The 585

« Reply #1264 on: January 25, 2022, 02:33:35 PM »
But I am not a 100% abstainer. I still have an occasional drink with my husband on a Sunday afternoon because Sunday margaritas has been our thing since the kids were born. At Christmas my FIL bought a really nice bottle of wine so I had a couple of ounces because he was so proud of the bottle.

That's how I'd love to be eventually. I love a small glass of wine occasionally, but "moderation" for me is a slippery slope that leads back to having a few too many drinks. So for the time being going completely dry is my excuse to others (and myself!) that I just want to stay away from it alltogether.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1265 on: January 25, 2022, 02:48:06 PM »
I have never really had a drinking issue, but I do find that I'm not good at moderation with anything unless I put clear boundaries around it. So with drinking I only drink on Fridays, Saturdays, or special occasions. And I'm only allowed one drink on Friday/Saturdays. It's not that I've ever been too fond of booze, it's just that I don't like its impact on me so I made a rule for myself that one drink is enough, and only on days when I can sleep in. Also I don't drink after 7pm because it negatively affects my sleep. I love a nice booze treat at around 4 pm on a Friday or Saturday late afternoon. That's about it--conditions are perfect.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1266 on: January 25, 2022, 05:24:09 PM »
Heading into my 4th dry Australia Day, this time going to a BBQ with people that I used to drink with. I'll possibly buy some NA beer as camouflage but it might be kombucha or a flavoured soda water. At this point, my life has just improved so much that it's not a temptation for me.

That's great to hear, I felt the same way by year 4. The benefits were so clear I knew I was done, for good.
I used n/a beer the same way in the early years, going on a group camping trip, or meeting up with friends, etc, because I was worried I might feel the temptation, but I really limited it because I was also worried about it becoming a crutch.

Of course, the poor taste helped in that regard. Now that I've tried the "better" n/a's, I've come to realize that there are other drinks I'd much rather have than even better tasting n/a beer, so I don't  bother, except now and then, like every other summer,  after some hard work on a hot summer day , I stop and get a n/a six pack at the quick e mart. Just like old times!

I drink two and then it sits in the fridge for months.

The 585

« Reply #1267 on: January 29, 2022, 07:34:36 AM »
I found a book at the library called "Sober Curious" by Ruby Warrington. Just started reading it and I'm glad to see more and more resources like this out there! Dry January is almost done and I'm ready to go headstrong into Free-From-Alcohol February! :)

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1268 on: February 10, 2022, 04:00:59 PM »
Ack! Re: Tea - I remember several pages back on here MalCat said something about David's Tea - so I ordered some.  And then I looked and she said it was grossly sweet and was not recommending them. Whoops!

The first couple I tried were actually lovely (Valerian sleep blends) - but then I tried another one today and Gack! STEVIA! Half of the teas I ordered (I added extras to get the free shipping) have stevia.

I may pass them on in my Buy Nothing group.

But the "Mother's Little Helper" is lovely and I have been drinking it while my husband has his manhattan.

El_Viajero

• Stubble
« Reply #1269 on: March 07, 2022, 04:43:33 PM »
I'm almost three years into not drinking any alcohol. It's been great! My desire to drink is totally gone, and I regularly join gatherings without feeling the slightest compulsion to imbibe. I actually kind of feel bad for all the drinkers who don't know what they're missing. Sadly (maybe?), I've lost some friends due to no longer drinking (maybe they were only "friends," though). Turns out, a lot of people can't think of anything interesting to do together aside from drinking, so they don't want to be around you anymore.

I've always been very careful not to talk about my sobriety because it makes people uncomfortable. I only mention it when directly asked, and even then there are people who don't like it. If this happens to you, just realize you're not the problem. Many people simply aren't at peace with their own decisions and immediately feel judged, even when there's no judgement being passed.

drumstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1270 on: April 15, 2022, 12:13:36 PM »
I'm in.  I am doing the 30 day experiment, on Day 5.   No issues so far, made through a weekend of no drinking for the first time in years.

One downside, i miscalculated my days.  I have a Cabin Trip with some friends that starts on my 23rd day of the experiment.  This is a yearly event with my guy friends, which involves a LOT of drinking, poker playing, shenanigans, etc.  Wondering if I should bail on the trip, or make up some sort of minor health ailment, to explain why I'm not drinking...Hmmm not sure.  Guess we'll see how im feeling closer to the date.

I went on that cabin trip, with no concrete plan... and well, fell back into it.

I am on day 32, this time time with a completely different mindset.   It's been much easier this time, after getting through the first weekend.

I have successfully hung out with one of my oldest friends, we'll call him 'Drinking Buddy", went to a dive bar, played a Music Festival (done this one every year for over a decade, and it was usually an all day drinking marathon).  Really interesting observing this from a sober perspective.

This past month, I have got so much stuff done.  I haven't skipped a gym workout from being 'tired' (hungover).

Was worried that I would have to ditch my friends, quit my band (Our singer started the 30 day challenge this week).   Also, about how my friends would react, but I am the same sarcastic, smart-ass SOB I've always been.  Just sharper, well rested, and present.

I like this new me.  I'm going to make it permanent. Instead of mentally thinking of 'Im never drinking again',  I am just thinking of today and the next 30 days.  The never ending 30 day challenge :-D.  Better to manage mentally, I feel.  And I have a permanent go-to response when someone offers me a drink.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1271 on: April 15, 2022, 12:27:59 PM »
I’m 8 years sober now.  I’m not religious so AA isn’t a good fit for me.  Luckily I found LifeRing which is a secular, science based group.  If anyone is struggling with this on their own, give LifeRing a try.  I know it helped me enormously.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1272 on: April 15, 2022, 12:31:03 PM »
I'm in.  I am doing the 30 day experiment, on Day 5.   No issues so far, made through a weekend of no drinking for the first time in years.

One downside, i miscalculated my days.  I have a Cabin Trip with some friends that starts on my 23rd day of the experiment.  This is a yearly event with my guy friends, which involves a LOT of drinking, poker playing, shenanigans, etc.  Wondering if I should bail on the trip, or make up some sort of minor health ailment, to explain why I'm not drinking...Hmmm not sure.  Guess we'll see how im feeling closer to the date.

I went on that cabin trip, with no concrete plan... and well, fell back into it.

I am on day 32, this time time with a completely different mindset.   It's been much easier this time, after getting through the first weekend.

I have successfully hung out with one of my oldest friends, we'll call him 'Drinking Buddy", went to a dive bar, played a Music Festival (done this one every year for over a decade, and it was usually an all day drinking marathon).  Really interesting observing this from a sober perspective.

This past month, I have got so much stuff done.  I haven't skipped a gym workout from being 'tired' (hungover).

Was worried that I would have to ditch my friends, quit my band (Our singer started the 30 day challenge this week).   Also, about how my friends would react, but I am the same sarcastic, smart-ass SOB I've always been.  Just sharper, well rested, and present.

I like this new me.  I'm going to make it permanent. Instead of mentally thinking of 'Im never drinking again',  I am just thinking of today and the next 30 days. The never ending 30 day challenge :-D.  Better to manage mentally, I feel.  And I have a permanent go-to response when someone offers me a drink.

This is similar to how I approach it as well. I do drink very occasionally still, and I realize that triggers backsliding in many people, but so far it never has for me. For example, I had a few drinks in early March during a short vacation with friends, which were the first drinks I'd had in well over a year. And they were fine... I don't regret it. But I was also happy to get back to 'the next 30 days' mindset as soon as I got home.  As long as this approach works for me (that is, I don't look for occasions where I 'get to' drink, but nor do I forbid it or beat myself up over it on the rare occasions that I do it), I'm keeping at it. And it's been working for over 3 years at this point.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1273 on: April 15, 2022, 12:47:05 PM »
I have been sober for 20 months. I go at least once a week to happy hour with my dining group and have a non-alcoholic beer.  I have only been tempted a few times. I think for me personally it would start the cycle of drinking regularly again and I feel so much better without it.

drumstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1274 on: April 15, 2022, 03:13:42 PM »
I have been sober for 20 months. I go at least once a week to happy hour with my dining group and have a non-alcoholic beer.  I have only been tempted a few times. I think for me personally it would start the cycle of drinking regularly again and I feel so much better without it.

For me, it seems easier to just not drink than to try to do some sort of moderate drinking.  Simpler and less to think about.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1275 on: April 15, 2022, 04:33:40 PM »
Thought I’d bump up this thread.

On NYEs I had a full glass of wine. Since early April 2021, I had had a full glass maybe twice before. I started to wonder if that meant I might slide back into old habits. But, I didn’t want that to happen, so made a conscious decision not to drink in the immediate days that followed. Then, the desire passed altogether and now 3 weeks have gone by with me not even thinking about it at all. Happy with that, as life is so much better without alcohol.

On a different note, something strange happened with my closest family members and I wonder if anyone else ever experienced this. When I drank (which was never a large amount - I was a one glass of wine type drinker), my mom would harp on me about how she worried about my drinking, that it wasn’t good for me, etc. But, when I quit, she seemed somewhat apathetic and almost intimated that drinking some wine is good for me! It was just so odd. I guess I was hoping she’d be more supportive, perhaps proud that I gave up such a negative vice…anyone else experience this?

LeftA, I got in a fight with another boy after school one day, came home late with scrapes and bruises, and was fearing a lecture. My Mom was beaming with pride. Go figure!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1276 on: April 15, 2022, 06:53:26 PM »
I tend to drink very frequently but not heavily throughout my adult life. Well the pandemic was an excuse to imbibe more, and then the pandemic subsided but I noticed that I was cracking beers or having a bourbon at times I normally wouldn't have in the past. It bothered me, but not enough to do something about it.

This past week I was on a work trip where heavy drinking was encouraged, and I obliged, for 3 days......after feeling like shit and realizing that continuing this pattern would surely decrease my quality and quantity of life, it's time to cut back drastically.

I plan to limit drinking to only special occasions like a wedding or holiday/party. No more boozing at home out of boredom or to blow off steam. No more weekday happy hours because *nothing better to do*.......at least for a nice long while.

Posting for accountability y'all.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1277 on: April 15, 2022, 07:11:29 PM »
Here's an unexpected one. I've been not drinking for nearly 5 years now and it's great. A side effect of this is my husband has significantly reduced his alcohol consumption. At the end of last year, Ofpym had his first gout attack and it seems that beer is one of his triggers. He's opted to stop drinking instead of going on lifelong medication. (Now he has the MPP of getting rid of most of a batch of homemade beer and his homebrewing equipment.)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1278 on: April 15, 2022, 10:27:36 PM »
2 birds, alcohol can really be a slippery slope. The pandemic really made me look at my bad habits and weight and I decided to change. I spent most of my life not drinking and starting was a bad idea. It’s been so much easier to maintain my weight loss without the empty calories. Plus drinking makes me hungry. It’s great that you recognized you were overdoing it.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1279 on: April 16, 2022, 06:01:54 AM »
MSPYM
 Homebrew is the devils elixir!
I think my homebrewing beer is what lead me down the trail of excessive drinking, beer around all the time, always need to try this batch, or make one similar/better. Once I got rid of the homebrew equiptment space opened up, Literally in the house and in my head as well.  I was eventually able to see my excessive drinking for what it was and addiction. I actually still have to get rid of my brew pot, it is worth money so I probably will sell it.

It is coming up on 2 years and 8 months, No alcohol. I am hoping to make it to 3 years no booze. I feel so much better in the morning!
No more excuses to be lazy on a Saturday morning. No more hanging out with drinkers, who can be fun , but the same old patterns over and over. I do wonder if I have reset myself and can go back to drinking once in a while, but so far I realy logically can not find a "good" reason to go back. The craft beer flavor I miss, but the non alcoholic beer options are amazing these days ( like Athletic brewing company and Wellbeing brewing).
I started with 30 days, then 90 days then six months no alcohol, and I continue that philosophy of focusing on a goal of a certain period of time worked for me. I also suggest as others here have, Annie Grace, this Naked Mind talks about alcohol in a unique way that made me want to quit.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1280 on: April 16, 2022, 12:50:08 PM »
I love Run Wild from the athletic brewery. When going out I order a non-alcoholic beer and most often they only carry one but they usually are good.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1281 on: April 19, 2022, 09:15:49 AM »
Here's an unexpected one. I've been not drinking for nearly 5 years now and it's great. A side effect of this is my husband has significantly reduced his alcohol consumption. At the end of last year, Ofpym had his first gout attack and it seems that beer is one of his triggers. He's opted to stop drinking instead of going on lifelong medication. (Now he has the MPP of getting rid of most of a batch of homemade beer and his homebrewing equipment.)

MPP = microsoft project plan? So he is not going to risk consuming the home brew himself?  I suppose friends will gladly drink it.  Good idea to change diet instead of going on meds, I think.   

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1282 on: April 19, 2022, 09:45:54 AM »
MMP mustacian people problem of selling homebrew equipment!

regenaeb

• Stubble
« Reply #1283 on: April 21, 2022, 09:50:37 AM »
Ok, so I am probably just a weirdo. My drinking was quite heavy from 2016 through 2021. 2020-2021 the worse it has ever been, thank you Covid. I gave it up at the end of 2020 for almost 6 months and then picking it up again for an occasional drink at a restaurant (we rarely eat out) or a get together with friends. Last fall, I was drinking on Saturdays only watching college football while facetiming with my friends (we are Penn Staters). I never added drinking in other than Saturdays, but I would have about 4-5 drinks on that Saturday starting sometimes at noon and going through dinner. At Christmas while in FL visiting family and these friends I had some drinks and at one party actually was pretty drunk (I haven't done that is almost a year at that point). It felt really crappy and I stopped as soon as I got home the day before New Years Eve. Since then I have not had a drink again.

Here is the weird part. When we were in FL my hubby bought a case of the hard cider I like that is made with key limes and we brought it home with us. He put a couple of cans in the fridge when we got home from that trip. Everyday I would open the fridge door all day (I work from home) to get anything I needed and would see those cans. But I was not tempted to drink one because I didn't want to. About a month ago, hubby decided to have one and gave the other two to friends that were over to try. The next day when I opened the fridge and didn't see the cans anymore then suddenly I was craving a drink. For the next three days I was craving a drink every night. Finally the next day, I grabbed a can from the garage and put it in the fridge to cool. But that night when I was done with work and I opened the fridge I didn't want to drink it. I just grabbed my flavored seltzer instead to drink. So now I have been looking at that can again for weeks and have no desire to drink it. But when hubby said something about drinking it I told him he could, but he needed to replace it right away or I would want to drink. He looked at me like, you are just so weird sometimes. Does anyone else do something like this? I mentioned it to my sister in law and she said it is a control thing. When I have access to booze, I can control my thoughts and crave that control not the booze itself. When the booze is gone/out of the house my mind starts running thoughts about how I can get booze to fill that hole in the fridge.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1284 on: April 21, 2022, 05:12:34 PM »
Ok, so I am probably just a weirdo. My drinking was quite heavy from 2016 through 2021. 2020-2021 the worse it has ever been, thank you Covid. I gave it up at the end of 2020 for almost 6 months and then picking it up again for an occasional drink at a restaurant (we rarely eat out) or a get together with friends. Last fall, I was drinking on Saturdays only watching college football while facetiming with my friends (we are Penn Staters). I never added drinking in other than Saturdays, but I would have about 4-5 drinks on that Saturday starting sometimes at noon and going through dinner. At Christmas while in FL visiting family and these friends I had some drinks and at one party actually was pretty drunk (I haven't done that is almost a year at that point). It felt really crappy and I stopped as soon as I got home the day before New Years Eve. Since then I have not had a drink again.

Here is the weird part. When we were in FL my hubby bought a case of the hard cider I like that is made with key limes and we brought it home with us. He put a couple of cans in the fridge when we got home from that trip. Everyday I would open the fridge door all day (I work from home) to get anything I needed and would see those cans. But I was not tempted to drink one because I didn't want to. About a month ago, hubby decided to have one and gave the other two to friends that were over to try. The next day when I opened the fridge and didn't see the cans anymore then suddenly I was craving a drink. For the next three days I was craving a drink every night. Finally the next day, I grabbed a can from the garage and put it in the fridge to cool. But that night when I was done with work and I opened the fridge I didn't want to drink it. I just grabbed my flavored seltzer instead to drink. So now I have been looking at that can again for weeks and have no desire to drink it. But when hubby said something about drinking it I told him he could, but he needed to replace it right away or I would want to drink. He looked at me like, you are just so weird sometimes. Does anyone else do something like this? I mentioned it to my sister in law and she said it is a control thing. When I have access to booze, I can control my thoughts and crave that control not the booze itself. When the booze is gone/out of the house my mind starts running thoughts about how I can get booze to fill that hole in the fridge.

I mean, I don't know if that's weird? Funny story though!
I say, whatever works to trick your mind until the "want" goes away,  do that :)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1285 on: April 21, 2022, 06:14:37 PM »
@regenaeb sounds like a scarcity/options emotion in play. I'm with sonofsven - if having the can there lets you continue not drinking, keep it up :)

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1286 on: April 22, 2022, 03:18:46 AM »
I had the opposite issue, if there was beer in the refrigerator I had to drink it. But whatever works, I mean trial and error,  leaving beer in the frig or cider. I have successfully substituted non alcoholic beer and it fools my brain. Sometimes I drink none other times under stress 2 or 3. But it is enough to calm my brain from cravings. 2 years 8 months no alcohol so far.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1287 on: April 26, 2022, 07:51:15 AM »
Regenaeb, I am that way too, sort of.

What really gets me to not drink is being out on the town and seeing the high prices for any sort of alcohol. If I can't find a special going on somewhere, it is easy for me to not drink.   

But if there is a Stella Artois drafts half off happy hour somewhere, I'm all in.

Another way for me to not want to drink is having overdone it the day before. 

Zeno's was my favorite bar back at PSU.  A dollar a pitcher on Thirsty Thursdays, and they were real 64 ounce pitchers, lol. 

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1288 on: April 26, 2022, 08:12:36 AM »
My guy used to drink every day, not a lot but enough for him to be occasionally obnoxious.  He finally gave it up several years ago and hasn't had a drop since.  In fact we have opened bottles of whiskey / cognac in the cupboard that haven't been even sipped for like 3 years. (I occasionally use them for cooking.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 08:14:48 AM by JenniferW »

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1289 on: April 29, 2022, 07:55:15 AM »
I had the opposite issue, if there was beer in the refrigerator I had to drink it. But whatever works, I mean trial and error,  leaving beer in the frig or cider. I have successfully substituted non alcoholic beer and it fools my brain. Sometimes I drink none other times under stress 2 or 3. But it is enough to calm my brain from cravings. 2 years 8 months no alcohol so far.
Same here. Sometimes I would drink everything in the house. Now I fool myself with non alcoholic beer when I feel the need.

The new Guinness zero is quite good. Or it's been so long I can't tell.

2 years 6 months.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1290 on: April 29, 2022, 09:19:22 AM »
Guinness zero have to try that. I like athletic brewing and wellbeing

drumstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1291 on: April 29, 2022, 11:32:51 AM »
So far I've tried Heineken Zero, Athletic Upside Dawn, Athletic Lite, & Ceria Grainwave.

Have some Run Wild in the fridge haven't tried yet.  Really liking the Ceria the best so far, think it might be good with an orange slice.

Definitely saving a lot of $$ going alcohol free.  Have 2 or 3 N.A. beers when I have the desire, and then I'm good.

47 days here.

regenaeb

• Stubble
« Reply #1292 on: May 13, 2022, 02:11:58 PM »
Anyone try the non-alcoholic wines out there on the market? I keep getting advertisements for them on my Facebook feed and it has peaked my interest. I am curious what they taste like? But at this point I have no reason to drive to the part of town that has the closest Total Wine to pick up a few to try so I was hoping for some others opinions on them. With gas prices as high as they are I am not driving anywhere that I don't absolutely have to these days.

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1293 on: May 19, 2022, 07:04:36 AM »
I tried one. Sorry, don't remember the brand. It was bad. Tasted like watered down grape juice.

At dinners where we would have wine, we now do Welchs sparkling grape juice in wine glasses.

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #1294 on: May 23, 2022, 12:05:54 PM »
So, I’m closing in on 16 months being, for the most part, alcohol free. I had a few sips of wine early this year (Jan-March), with one time having a half glass…For the last couple of months, I haven’t had any and truthfully haven’t even thought to either. I like not drinking.

The one thing I miss is the fun of trying a new wine. I like drinking (I.e., as in beverages in general) but since many drinks are high in sugar, I pretty much only drink water (including carbonated), coffee and the occasional tea or glass of milk. So, I miss trying new flavours in the form of liquid. I wonder if I should try making the occasional mock tail at home? Anyone here get into that?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1295 on: May 23, 2022, 01:04:32 PM »
So, I’m closing in on 16 months being, for the most part, alcohol free. I had a few sips of wine early this year (Jan-March), with one time having a half glass…For the last couple of months, I haven’t had any and truthfully haven’t even thought to either. I like not drinking.

The one thing I miss is the fun of trying a new wine. I like drinking (I.e., as in beverages in general) but since many drinks are high in sugar, I pretty much only drink water (including carbonated), coffee and the occasional tea or glass of milk. So, I miss trying new flavours in the form of liquid. I wonder if I should try making the occasional mock tail at home? Anyone here get into that?

I make mock g&ts semi regularly using N/A gin...it's a pretty close facsimile.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1296 on: May 23, 2022, 01:53:28 PM »

I make mock g&ts semi regularly using N/A gin...it's a pretty close facsimile.

I like the Zero Proof brand for alcohol alternatives. Specifically, I like the mock tequila for drinks that are paloma and margarita adjacent.  I have not enjoyed the Seed Lip brand of alcohol alternatives and thought they tasted like melted cocktail ice.

I run into the same problem of being bored with water, coffee, and tea.

I have taken to ordering interesting flavored teas when they strike my fancy. I found a few really nice flavorful blends from a UK company called Bird and Blend. They have one called mistletoe and wine that smells like a Christmas punch, and another called Peach Bellini that is Peach and Elderflower. 

regenaeb

• Stubble
« Reply #1297 on: May 25, 2022, 10:14:57 AM »
I tried the alcohol removed wine by Fre this past weekend. I got the red blend to try. I was in Florida visiting with family and attending a high school graduation. When back at the house having an after-graduation party, I opened this bottle and it hit the spot. It is not the best red blend I have tasted, but definitely not the worst I have had either. I would rate it like a "house" red you order at a restaurant. Not the red I would buy for my own house, but it fills the bill when you are eating out. It filled that void for me when others are all opening wines and drinking. I was able to enjoy myself talking to family I have not seen in a while, but not get highly intoxicated like I have in the past at these kinds of events. It felt great to know I would not feel terrible in the morning. And there was no need to get an Uber to get back to the hotel, I could drive myself and my kids. I will probably try their Rose as well the next time I am near the Total Wine for the summer to see what I think. The only downside is they are higher in sugar content then regular red wine. When they remove the alcohol, they add back in some grape juice for flavoring and that adds sugar. But it is far less sugar than the Moscato I used to drink or even a can of coke which I could have had instead. I kind of figured if I had actually brought a bottle of Moscato I would have finished it and consumed about 45g of sugar. Having 2 glasses of this red blend and I consumed 22g of sugar. So, for me that is a good trade off. I have lost 10 pounds since Christmas by not drinking and watching what I eat. I am hoping to continue with the weight loss into the summer. But last year during the summer I started indulging in booze on vacation and when hanging out with friends. Not getting wasted like previously, but enough booze on the weekends that it derailed my weight loss.

Lastly, I did have 2 drinks while I was out with my best friends for a ladies night out having dinner. It was only 2 and then I had soda after that the rest of the night so I could drive everyone home a couple of house later. It didn't really effect me when we were out, but I slept terrible that night and felt bad in the morning. Not majorly hung over or anything, but not well. My body really does not like me consuming alcohol. This weekend was reinforcement drinking even 2 drinks causes me to sleep terrible and feel bad the next day, which makes my mornings blah.

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1298 on: June 21, 2022, 07:48:15 AM »
@litestache
You plan on five weeks or you have done five weeks?
Any amount of time is great and will lead you to understand you and your body and minds connection to alcohol.

I personally feel that 30 days was not enough for me to get my energy back that it really took almost 2 months for me to feel a dramatic step up in energy YMMV.

Come back for support anytime.

OK @BikeFanatic on your advice I'm back for a longer stint. 88 days starting yesterday! Hoping to also lose some lbs this go around.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1299 on: June 21, 2022, 07:52:30 AM »
yes!!! Lightstache,  You can do it! I challenge you to look it like a self care adventure. Get in shape without being hard on yourself. Cut yourself some slack if you fall and just get right back on.
I hope to hear from you on this journey.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 02:45:02 PM by BikeFanatic »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!