Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 310750 times)

lazycow

• Bristles
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #1050 on: June 14, 2021, 06:44:10 PM »
@StarBright not a relaxation suggestion, but when I went alcohol-free for a year I needed to initially trick my brain for the first month or so by serving myself water/sparkling water in a wine glass. I found it was the ritual of pouring a liquid and  holding the glass by the stem and sipping something (anything!) that wasn't alcoholic was what I really enjoyed. I went from having a drink most days, to nothing for a year (the first 2 months were *hard*), and now can take it or leave it. All the best.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1051 on: June 14, 2021, 07:09:14 PM »
@StarBright I like a cup of tea in those situations or just 10 min standing outside watching my dog pounce on lizards.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1052 on: June 14, 2021, 07:49:09 PM »
Hi All - looking for quick relaxation suggestions.

I'm doing well on my no/low drinking (nothing through mid april and a planned drink every couple of weeks since then) but had a moment yesterday where I thought "I have 20 minutes, maybe, to myself. How can I relax?", and my first thought was a drink.

Yoga is not an option for me, I have issues with hypermobile joints. In general, too much physical activity causes pain so let's stay away from the "take a quick run!" side of suggestions - thanks!

I do literally 5 minutes of vigorous exercise, it releases the exact same neurochemicals as giving in to an alcohol craving. Remember, the alcohol doesn't actually calm you, it's your own brain's response to giving in to a craving that does.

Otherwise I drink really nice tea, have a bit of dark chocolate, do some mindfulness meditation, or all of the above.

Once the cravings die out, so does the capacity for pouring a drink to relax you. So redirecting that response really helps.

Boo! Malcat - exactly what I didn't want to read :) But I actually just bought a rebounder so 5 minutes of bouncing could be okay.

and thanks @mspym , @lazycow, and @Peony ! I probably have to recalibrate to find those things relaxing but they are all excellent ideas.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 07:51:01 PM by StarBright »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1053 on: June 14, 2021, 08:16:50 PM »
Hi All - looking for quick relaxation suggestions.

I'm doing well on my no/low drinking (nothing through mid april and a planned drink every couple of weeks since then) but had a moment yesterday where I thought "I have 20 minutes, maybe, to myself. How can I relax?", and my first thought was a drink.

Yoga is not an option for me, I have issues with hypermobile joints. In general, too much physical activity causes pain so let's stay away from the "take a quick run!" side of suggestions - thanks!

I do literally 5 minutes of vigorous exercise, it releases the exact same neurochemicals as giving in to an alcohol craving. Remember, the alcohol doesn't actually calm you, it's your own brain's response to giving in to a craving that does.

Otherwise I drink really nice tea, have a bit of dark chocolate, do some mindfulness meditation, or all of the above.

Once the cravings die out, so does the capacity for pouring a drink to relax you. So redirecting that response really helps.

Boo! Malcat - exactly what I didn't want to read :) But I actually just bought a rebounder so 5 minutes of bouncing could be okay.

and thanks @mspym , @lazycow, and @Peony ! I probably have to recalibrate to find those things relaxing but they are all excellent ideas.

Why would you not want to read that?

The simple fact is that alcohol in and of itself actually has virtually no positive effects. It's hard for drinkers to believe, but it's true. The great feeling that having a drink gives you is from your own brain.

Your brain wants the addictive substances, so it rewards you with feel good chemicals to try and create a repeating pattern of giving it the addictive chemical it wants.

The actual buzz of alcohol is a downer and feels awful. The high comes from your own brain.

It's like this: french kissing doesn't feel great. Anyone who has french kissed someone who they have no interest in knows that the action is inherently slimy and gross. However, if you are attracted to someone and desperately want more physical intimacy with them, then kissing them sets off neural responses because your brain is excited about getting physically more intimate with this person that it wants you to be even more intimate with.

Kissing someone you are attracted to feels amazing because your brain wants you to do more of it, and then more of more stuff. If your brain has no reason for you to kiss someone, it doesn't drop those chemicals and it feels awful.

It's the exact same with alcohol. It's awful, but your brain will dramatically overpower the awful feeling for the first few drinks to get you to keep drinking. But that's why most people who get heavily drunk start getting mean, aggressive, or morose. Once you're too drunk, your brain stops giving you the happy chemicals, and then quickly you just start feeling the awful, depressing effect of the booze alone.

The high of drinking is your brain bribing you for booze. You don't actually want the alcohol, you want the brain chemicals. Your brain wants the booze because it will want anything addictive, even if for you it's total shit. But you are the one who controls the behaviour, so your brain needs to bribe you to keep enable it's shit-consuming habit.

The fun comes from your brain, so find a way to trigger that fun with something better for your brain than booze.
Go french kiss someone you want to sleep with or better yet sleep with them, do some exercise/stretching, invest in a massage chair/seat, take a bath or shower, roll around on the ground with a puppy, take up painting, whatever, there are TONS of behavioural shortcuts to the exact same brain chemicals that your brain will drop for booze.

It's a bit of a seduction process, you need to figure out what tickles your brain, what it's willing to give you happy chemicals for. Spend some quality time getting to know your own brain's buttons and which ones work best for you.

This is not bad news, this is a powerful lever for you to use.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1054 on: June 15, 2021, 05:32:28 AM »
I just hate exercising :)

rockeTree

• Bristles
« Reply #1055 on: June 15, 2021, 06:10:53 AM »
Maybe some light weeding? Dust the leaves of your houseplants? If you're a plant person it's a low stress distraction and a way to care for a living thing and bring more food or beauty or whatever you're growing into your life. If this is a 20 minute problem it doesn't take much to get yourself out of that headspace for a bit before you are on to the next thing. YMMV; I have a pal who would quickly organize and declutter a drawer to pull herself out of any kind of weird spiral she felt stuck in and wanted out of. Just pull your attention somewhere else that's satisfying.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1056 on: June 15, 2021, 06:47:42 AM »

Lol

You might start liking it if your brain gives you a buzz afterwards though.

I used to see exercise as a chore, but once I started chasing natural brain highs, I was a lot more motivated to do it.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1057 on: June 15, 2021, 07:44:50 AM »

Lol

You might start liking it if your brain gives you a buzz afterwards though.

I used to see exercise as a chore, but once I started chasing natural brain highs, I was a lot more motivated to do it.

Same.  It can take trial and error to figure out the type of exercise that really triggers the natural high. Swimming is 100% the fastest way for me and regular swimming absolutely helps me with cravings, but of course isn't available at the drop of a hat unless you have your own lake (which I actually did at various points in my own life) or pool.  Hiking (with frequent pauses to look around) in steep lovely terrain, which functions as interval training, is another good one.  It usually has to be aerobic for me.  Yoga, dance, pilates, etc. are also fun but it's harder (though not impossible) to get the high from that unless you do them vigorously and with an emphasis on deep breathing.  However, running (e.g.) was a fucking chore that never gave me a high even in the days when I 1) was conditioned to do it, and 2) had a lovely environment to run in (which I haven't for 20+ years).  So it can take trial and error to find exercise you don't hate and that gives the endorphin payoff.

Which actually backs up the suggestions above about trying some sort of meditative breathing exercise if you really are going to resist exercise.

Maybe try some form of HIIT exercise? A lot of those programs can be done on the spur of the moment at home and they don't take much time.

Apart from exercise, I used to use things like working on a coloring book (b/c my brain is soooo conditioned to be analytical and not free-flowing and creative) or dancing for 10 minutes to a great groove song or immersing myself in a book (with an NA drink) or taking a 20 minute walk. Anything to 'reboot' my brain and attention and signal my brain that it was time to wind down (which I previously used booze to do).

MustachioedPistachio

• Stubble
« Reply #1058 on: July 07, 2021, 02:28:46 PM »
Just wanted to stop in and report. 7 months!

Over the holiday, I had the slightest twinge of wanting to reach for a drink while visiting my parents and family (all drinkers, all drinking, diametrically opposite political/religious views). I staved it off with an ice-cold 7up Cherry Zero. Leaving after a couple of hours also helped!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1059 on: July 07, 2021, 03:12:48 PM »
A year and a half for me.

I'm pretty craving free now, except when out for dinner last night for my birthday at a very nice restaurant, where they had virtually no non alcoholic beverage options.

If I liked sugary beverages, it would be okay, but I hate them. So when I'm out for my birthday, all dressed up, and ordering a ton of very expensive oysters, I want a beverage option other than water. And this is a place with a legendary wine list, so a place where having a drink used to be such a treat.

I've gotten so used to at least having the option of non alcoholic Heineken, so I was definitely caught off guard when I had no decent option, and definitely felt limited in my experience of indulging in something luxurious.

It doesn't feel luxurious to have water with my oysters. I wasn't craving alcohol, but I was envious of all of the drinkers having drink options, but I didn't.

Honestly, why can't there be more non sugary beverages out there??

MustachioedPistachio

• Stubble
« Reply #1060 on: July 07, 2021, 03:27:21 PM »

I do miss some of the complex or unique flavors of alcoholic beverages. Pastis, for example - I would pay good money for an alcohol-free version!

But yes...where are the non sugary beverage treats? Anyone had any luck with crafting your own?

I've found adding fresh mint to a fresh brewed (decaf) coffee with cream is quite yummy.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1061 on: July 07, 2021, 03:38:18 PM »
If there’s no alcohol free beer I order soda water with lime. I just reached 11 months.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1062 on: July 07, 2021, 03:40:59 PM »
About to hit 4 years and it's still one of the best decisions I ever made. I love this freedom from reflexive self-doubt and shame (did I say something stupid? did I make a fool of myself?) but am getting a bit tired of soda with lime/lemon lime & bitters/ginger ale with lime & mint.

One nice thing is some of the craft brewers here have started making *good* non-alcoholic beer, and some companies are making non-alcoholic "spirits" so you can make make a delicious NA gin-and-tonic. Otherwise I throw myself on the mercy of the bartender and ask for them to make something NA and not sweet.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1063 on: July 07, 2021, 04:11:07 PM »
@MustachioedPistachio  I add nice bitters to club soda and combinations of various san Pellegrino flavors.

So I love limonatta, club soda and Jaimaican bitters or aranciatta w/ chipotle bitters.

I highly recommend Bittercube:
https://bittercube.com/

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1064 on: July 07, 2021, 04:47:05 PM »
If there’s no alcohol free beer I order soda water with lime. I just reached 11 months.

Yeah, that's what I ordered, but soda water is still water. And sometimes I resent that I'm out somewhere spending significant money and all they have to offer me to drink is water or pop.

Thankfully it's rare, most restaurants here have mocktail options, which is why I was so taken aback by such a trendy, expensive place having nothing for me.

At home I've gotten very used to dealcoholized champagne as my go-to fancy beverage. I wish I had options like that when going out.

I like when places have alcohol free kombucha, that's a nice treat.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1065 on: July 07, 2021, 04:51:25 PM »
I ask for a tonic water when I want the bitterness but not the booze.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1066 on: July 07, 2021, 06:42:32 PM »
A year and a half for me.

I'm pretty craving free now, except when out for dinner last night for my birthday at a very nice restaurant, where they had virtually no non alcoholic beverage options.

If I liked sugary beverages, it would be okay, but I hate them. So when I'm out for my birthday, all dressed up, and ordering a ton of very expensive oysters, I want a beverage option other than water. And this is a place with a legendary wine list, so a place where having a drink used to be such a treat.

I've gotten so used to at least having the option of non alcoholic Heineken, so I was definitely caught off guard when I had no decent option, and definitely felt limited in my experience of indulging in something luxurious.

It doesn't feel luxurious to have water with my oysters. I wasn't craving alcohol, but I was envious of all of the drinkers having drink options, but I didn't.

@Malcat, was yesterday your birthday? It was my birthday. 🎉

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1067 on: July 07, 2021, 06:51:01 PM »
Happy birthday to us!

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #1068 on: July 07, 2021, 09:20:48 PM »
I’m closing in on 100 days soon. They haven’t been 100% AF since I had a glass of red once to see how I felt about it (totally lost the taste for it!) and then white. The white is okay but I haven’t had much (roughly about 8 ounces over a few separate occasions since late May).

But, the great thing is that I recently entertained for the first time since COVID was declared a pandemic and I didn’t drink at all, while the couple we invited, had both red and white wine! When I told them why I wasn’t drink much anymore, they didn’t make a big deal out of it and said good for me, it makes total sense, etc.

A few days after that we went out for dinner (again something we haven’t done much in the last 15 months) and I didn’t feel at all tempted to order wine.

Finally, I had the WORST day at work today and I didn’t even consider turning to wine...whereas it used to be an unconscious reflex before!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 09:23:18 PM by LeftA »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1069 on: July 07, 2021, 09:44:48 PM »
That's great @LeftA I love it when people are cool.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1070 on: July 08, 2021, 06:48:58 AM »
I too am somewhat resentful when there is no good non alcoholic drink option.
I go to a brewery to play games monthly and they have Kombucha and also run out every night! I wonder why theses places don't get the non alcoholic craft beer, the best I have had is well being or Athletic  and they are amazing.

Almost 2 years for me without alcohol! (Technically 6 weeks away from 2 years), and just 5 weeks ago  I did accidentally get a few sips of a hard cider that I ordered( I ordered a seltzer and pointed to someones seltzer, but they gave me a hard seltzer it was homemade and actually very good.) I had a few sips thinking it was Kombucha they gave me but it tasted whisky like. It did not cause me to crave alcohol after that, which was a tad surprising, but I think I am just cognitively over booze.

Congratulations to everyone here who who had presence of mind to give up or moderate booze!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1071 on: July 08, 2021, 07:19:36 AM »
I too am somewhat resentful when there is no good non alcoholic drink option.
I go to a brewery to play games monthly and they have Kombucha and also run out every night! I wonder why theses places don't get the non alcoholic craft beer, the best I have had is well being or Athletic  and they are amazing.

Almost 2 years for me without alcohol! (Technically 6 weeks away from 2 years), and just 5 weeks ago  I did accidentally get a few sips of a hard cider that I ordered( I ordered a seltzer and pointed to someones seltzer, but they gave me a hard seltzer it was homemade and actually very good.) I had a few sips thinking it was Kombucha they gave me but it tasted whisky like. It did not cause me to crave alcohol after that, which was a tad surprising, but I think I am just cognitively over booze.

Congratulations to everyone here who who had presence of mind to give up or moderate booze!

The concept that a sip of alcohol will trigger your addiction is a very AA concept that isn't evidence based.

Where people get into trouble is that when those sips or that one drink or that one drag off of a cigarette doesn't trigger anything, they think they're "cured" and that they can now drink or smoke occasionally with no problems.

I think it was Annie Grace's neuroscientist guest speaker who gave this analogy, but addiction is like a well worn path in the woods. The more you travel the path, the more entrenched it gets into the ground. If you stop walking the path, nature starts to grow over it. The path doesn't ever disappear, but it can get heavily covered by overgrowth to the point that you can't even see it anymore if you didn't know it was there. 

But if you go back and clear away the overgrowth, the path is still there if it was worn in well enough in the first place.

So you can get to the point that an addiction is totally covered over by new neural patterns, but the old pathways never actually reverse themselves. They're still there, available for travel at any point if you go back and clear them off.

As a former neuroscientist, this analogy makes perfect sense to me.

So with you at about two years and me at a year and a half, our pathways are nice and buried to the point that they can't even be seen. That's why a few sips won't trigger anything, it's not enough to uncover the path.

In fact, you could probably get full on shit faced one night and still not uncover the path. But if you got into the habit of just ordering a single half pint now and then when out with friends, that would quickly uncover it.

Exposure over time would likely have more impact than volume of exposure on one occasion. The brain is very sensitive to repeated patterns.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1072 on: July 08, 2021, 07:41:26 AM »
Thank you, @Malcat,  for that was very insightful analogy!

I quit 3-4  years ago as well and after 7 months I went back  off and on a few times and drank 6 months strait until I finally quit for good. I told someone that night I "may" try a beer after 2 years but really there is no reason to, I have non alcoholic beer to satisfy me and I really love the way I feel without alcohol. And I read, or I saw on you tube, someone who said after two years they felt even better! I can not wait to feel even better, but I feel pretty damn good now!

The 585

« Reply #1073 on: July 09, 2021, 05:39:47 AM »
Starting the alcohol free life today, I'm excited to see how long I can make it!

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1074 on: July 09, 2021, 06:01:05 AM »
@Geographer and others maybe set a date or goal like 30 days? Keeps you honest

katekat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1075 on: July 09, 2021, 06:41:13 AM »
Mr Kat and I have been through 3 six-packs of Athletic non-alcoholic beers in the last couple of months. They are good! It is much easier for me to have just one on an evening, compared to alcoholic beer where I was trying to reach the boozy feeling. And Mr Kat doesn’t really like to drink so he prefers, and is more likely to join me in, an NA beer than a normal beer. I think I plan to order more, after waiting a little while to space out my expenditure in this area :)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1076 on: July 09, 2021, 06:42:40 AM »
Starting the alcohol free life today, I'm excited to see how long I can make it!

Welcome! Any specific goals or approach you have planned?

Need any resource recommendations?

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1077 on: July 09, 2021, 07:17:26 AM »
I have also found a new craft non alcoholic beer called wellbeing, very good got it a liquor store and local grocery store . It  is from Missouri.  Went to a real bar and sat at the bar, no issues.  Didnt like the drunk people,  was glad i didn't have to participate in that.  I also went to a brewery for game night, fun people.  The brewery served kombucha which was satisfying.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 09:45:12 AM by BikeFanatic »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1078 on: July 09, 2021, 08:04:44 AM »
I have also found a new craft non alcoholic beer called wellbeing, very good gat it a liquor store and local grocery store . It from Missouri.  Went to a real bar and sat at the bar, no issues.  Didnt like the drunk people,  was glad i didn't have to participate in that.  I also went yo a brewery for game night, fun people.  The brewery served kombucha which was satisfying.

Lol, after so long in lockdown, being out and seeing people get visibly drunk seems so scandalous now.

Of course, I never noticed moderately drunk people before because I was always drinking myself out at dinners and events. So I really have no way to gauge what's a normal level of inebriation in public.

It definitely weird and makes me grateful it's not me out in public, glaze-eyed, heavy-lidded, and kind of sloppy. How embarrassing.

The 585

« Reply #1079 on: July 09, 2021, 08:38:58 AM »

Thanks guys!! 30 days is my minimum goal, but if all goes well I'd love to stick with it even longer.

I realized I just don't like drinking that much anymore and it gives me a firm reason to decline when around friends or family.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1080 on: July 09, 2021, 08:40:57 AM »

Thanks guys!! 30 days is my minimum goal, but if all goes well I'd love to stick with it even longer.

I realized I just don't like drinking that much anymore and it gives me a firm reason to decline when around friends or family.

Are you doing the Annie Grace 30 day alcohol experiment?

This thread is what pointed me to it, and I found it very helpful in reformatting my perception of alcohol.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1081 on: July 09, 2021, 09:46:22 AM »
+1 TO everything Malcat said. I did annie grace 30 day made me thinkabout my relationship with alcohol, and this naked mind, her book made me think too.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 04:14:48 PM by BikeFanatic »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1082 on: July 09, 2021, 01:12:09 PM »
Today is my 67th birthday and the first one alcohol free in 16 years. I am having beer from the athletic brewery also. Their AF beers are so good. Yesterday was also 11 months AF.  I used Annie grace’s book and her online support group to quit. I found out about it on this thread.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1083 on: July 09, 2021, 01:43:53 PM »
My wife started to adjust her diet, and stopped using alcohol as part of that. I'm kind of tagging along. Our alcohol consumption was very moderate - a glass of wine with dinner here and there. Stopping it was very anticlimactic. None of us has any cravings, or under any social pressure.

The flip side is that I don't feel any positive changes, either. We mostly drank $4/bottle stuff from Trader Joe's or Aldie, so even the bank account didn't notice anything!

We also threw away a bottle of vodka that sat in the cupboard for... five? seven? years. Where I'm from, people are summarily executed for things like that, so let's keep it between us.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 01:48:34 PM by GodlessCommie »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1084 on: July 09, 2021, 06:22:24 PM »
Today is my 67th birthday and the first one alcohol free in 16 years. I am having beer from the athletic brewery also. Their AF beers are so good. Yesterday was also 11 months AF.  I used Annie grace’s book and her online support group to quit. I found out about it on this thread.

Happy birthday!!

The 585

« Reply #1085 on: July 09, 2021, 07:46:20 PM »

Are you doing the Annie Grace 30 day alcohol experiment?

This thread is what pointed me to it, and I found it very helpful in reformatting my perception of alcohol.

Thanks for mentioning that, I just signed up for the 30 day alcohol experiment program and also found the This Naked Mind podcast to start listening to.

The 585

« Reply #1086 on: July 10, 2021, 08:01:19 AM »
Day two of the "30 day Alcohol experiment", I love it so far. I really like the idea of not focusing on what you're giving up, but what you're gaining.

Has anyone else concurrently given up caffeine along with alcohol? I feel like they both contribute to higher levels of anxiety and we use them to balance each other out. So I'm curious to stop drinking coffee as well!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1087 on: July 10, 2021, 08:29:25 AM »
Day two of the "30 day Alcohol experiment", I love it so far. I really like the idea of not focusing on what you're giving up, but what you're gaining.

Has anyone else concurrently given up caffeine along with alcohol? I feel like they both contribute to higher levels of anxiety and we use them to balance each other out. So I'm curious to stop drinking coffee as well!

I quit caffeine a few months after alcohol.

I personally wouldn't do them together. Caffeine withdrawal can be much worse than alcohol withdrawal, but the cravings are not as bad. So your brain could end up connecting the severity of caffeine withdrawal with the strength of alcohol cravings and make the whole thing a lot harder.

Best to get to a new sober normal before throwing a wrench into the works.

For me, the first 10 days of quitting coffee were miserable, but I have never missed it and never ever crave it. I thought I couldn't live without coffee, but honestly, my old coffee habit seems downright silly now.

Simpli-Fi

• Bristles
« Reply #1088 on: July 10, 2021, 09:46:26 AM »

I quit caffeine a few months after alcohol.

I quit both not intentionally about a month a part.  Alcohol, I just have to say no…caffeine/ice coffee concentrate was the worst withdrawal ever…but only lasted two days.

Started as a challenge to myself and that was over 2.5 years ago.  I do like some decaf coffee on weekends

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1089 on: July 10, 2021, 10:53:21 AM »
Thanks Malcat!! I had a great day with my kids.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1090 on: July 11, 2021, 12:30:31 PM »
I gave up both but not at the same time, that is crazy. Start with alcohol, then you may
Find that  you dont need the coffee! (Caffeine). Also I weaned 50 percent caffeine then 25 percent, mixed with decaf.
Less anxious  now still drink decaf, but not Lot.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 03:37:36 PM by BikeFanatic »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1091 on: July 11, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »
I'm waiting to see if I need to give up alcohol due to some liver complications (unrelated to alcohol, but to a chronic health condition). I'll admittedly be sad. I enjoy dinners out & sharing a bottle of wine, or cocktails by the pool with my husband. I know we will totally adjust & it won't be the end of the world, but it's a pretty ingrained part of our weekends to have a drink at happy hour time. I might need to find some fun mocktail recipes, while I'm in the transitioning phase.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1092 on: July 11, 2021, 10:34:24 PM »
BabyM wishing you all the best for good test results.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1093 on: July 12, 2021, 06:49:45 AM »
I'm waiting to see if I need to give up alcohol due to some liver complications (unrelated to alcohol, but to a chronic health condition). I'll admittedly be sad. I enjoy dinners out & sharing a bottle of wine, or cocktails by the pool with my husband. I know we will totally adjust & it won't be the end of the world, but it's a pretty ingrained part of our weekends to have a drink at happy hour time. I might need to find some fun mocktail recipes, while I'm in the transitioning phase.

I would recommend giving it up regardless of the test results.

If you have chronic health issues, alcohol isn't helping you in managing them.

I'll never forget going through med school classes and pretty much every slide, for every illness, underneath was written "contributing factors: cigarettes, alcohol, [other disease specific factors]."

Point being, alcohol is pretty hard on your system. I too have chronic health issues, and they definitely became easier to manage without the constant inflammation from alcohol.

MustachioedPistachio

• Stubble
« Reply #1094 on: July 12, 2021, 10:36:47 AM »

I decided to go "chemical-free" at the same time. Granted, I had been tapering my caffeine consumption for some time, so it was not a massive shock to the system.

Welcome!

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1095 on: July 13, 2021, 08:16:34 AM »
Just checking in to offer congrats to all who are still on the sober path and encouragement to all who wish to try.
I passed the 11 year mark recently and can't imagine returning to alcohol.
Once you have quit for awhile you will really notice the heavy societal pressure of our western culture to drink. It is embedded in most all of our celebrations, achievements, and relaxation.
To step away can seem disorienting at first.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1096 on: July 13, 2021, 08:32:34 AM »
Just checking in to offer congrats to all who are still on the sober path and encouragement to all who wish to try.
Once you have quit for awhile you will really notice the heavy societal pressure of our western culture to drink. It is embedded in most all of our celebrations, achievements, and relaxation.

It's crazy really.

I was at my own family birthday party and everyone was heavily drinking. Like, it's *my* birthday, everyone knows I don't drink anymore, but it would be weird and even rude to expect others not to drink...at a party for me...

I really didn't mind, but I did find it a little odd that even people who normally don't drink were drinking because it was a party. Again, a party for me, who doesn't drink. Lol.

Last year for my birthday was different but similar. I used to always provide more than enough booze at parties I hosted, non of this BYOB stuff. Anyhoo, for my birthday last year we told people it was BYOB because I was 6 months sober and not about to buy booze for others.

Still, no one brought enough for themselves. We were at a public beach that has a bar, but you can't take drinks away from the bar. So for a good chunk of the get together, people kept leaving the group for long periods of time to go drink at the bar.

Again...at a party for me.

Now, I will specify that neither of these parties were populated with people who are primarily my friends. Anyone who is primarily my friend is better trained than that. The family birthday party was mostly my parents friends and the beach party was mostly DH's friends. I have tons of close friends, but none of them mix, so parties for me tend to not primarily be *my* closest friends, which explains a lot.

I still find it funny though.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 08:39:10 AM by Malcat »

The 585

« Reply #1097 on: July 13, 2021, 09:32:46 AM »

Aside from improving mental and physical health, the societal pressure is probably the biggest reason why I decided to stop drinking. I'm on day 5, and my last day of drinking was my birthday while on vacation with extended family (all heavy drinkers). They started doing shots, and I told them I wanted to sit it out. The response? "It's your birthday, you HAVE to do shots!" ...in an angry manner. So I filled a shot glass with water when no one was looking (they were all drunk anyways) just to pretend I was "part of the festivities".

Over time I started realizing I don't really like drinking. And I'm definitely not addicted to it. But it's being surrounded by friends and family who DO which pulls me in. Sure, maybe it won't go over well in the long run, but sticking to my decision gives me a rush of endorphins knowing that I'm refusing to partake in a destructive western cultural norm.

Simpli-Fi

• Bristles
« Reply #1098 on: July 13, 2021, 09:36:27 AM »

It's crazy really.

agreed...I'm treated like the weird one for not drinking poisoning myself slowly

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1099 on: July 13, 2021, 09:36:51 AM »

It's crazy really.

I was at my own family birthday party and everyone was heavily drinking. Like, it's *my* birthday, everyone knows I don't drink anymore, but it would be weird and even rude to expect others not to drink...at a party for me...

I really didn't mind, but I did find it a little odd that even people who normally don't drink were drinking because it was a party. Again, a party for me, who doesn't drink. Lol.

Last year for my birthday was different but similar. I used to always provide more than enough booze at parties I hosted, non of this BYOB stuff. Anyhoo, for my birthday last year we told people it was BYOB because I was 6 months sober and not about to buy booze for others.

Still, no one brought enough for themselves. We were at a public beach that has a bar, but you can't take drinks away from the bar. So for a good chunk of the get together, people kept leaving the group for long periods of time to go drink at the bar.

Again...at a party for me.

Now, I will specify that neither of these parties were populated with people who are primarily my friends. Anyone who is primarily my friend is better trained than that. The family birthday party was mostly my parents friends and the beach party was mostly DH's friends. I have tons of close friends, but none of them mix, so parties for me tend to not primarily be *my* closest friends, which explains a lot.

I still find it funny though.

That is funny!
For the first three or so years every time I visited my mom and we sat on the deck at wine thirty she would act surprised "Oh, are you still not drinking? Are you really never going to drink again?!"
I would just joke with her as we have a very loving relationship that she was really pushing the booze! She would laugh.
I ended up cutting a lot of the heavy drinkers out of my life, in some cases they cut me out. Some folks feel personally judged when you quit drinking and they don't, regardless of anything you actually do or say.
With time it becomes the new normal. For years if my partner visited and left alcohol in the fridge (they're a very light drinker, total lightweight!) I would pour it out.
Now, I don't even care what's in the fridge. I know I will not go down that road of thinking that "maybe I can drink now", I don't have any desire to do so.
And I have enough self knowledge to know that I would immediately be right back to my former ways.
So, a teetotaler I shall be ;-)