Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851369 times)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3050 on: January 18, 2016, 10:11:14 AM »
This morning my husband took the bag of stuff to donate to the charity shop near his work. Yay.

Lol, after I posted I actually thought what on earth does that expression mean.

I'm thinking, on a roll like when a snowball or something travels down a hill and momentum bulilds up.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3051 on: January 18, 2016, 02:15:01 PM »
Having a large walk in closet really skews my perspective on what is an acceptable (necessary?) amount of clothes.  I have a tendency to try and fill the void.  I also hold on to things even if I don't wear them, just because I have the room for them.  Any suggestions on how to deal with it and how to change my attitude?  I did sign up for the 2016 "no clothes shopping" challenge.

I actually turned a small closet  into a reading nook.  I still have my shoes stored in there, and a purse holding extra wallets hung as decoration on the wall.  It's really cozy and cute.  IDK if your walk-in might be useful for something similar, but it's a thought.  Or you might be able to bring in a dresser or other piece of furniture and a mirror and make it into a nice dressing space?  Anything to make it seem less like a hole that ought to be stuffed to the brim with clothing.

Thanks, I like the idea of a dressing room! 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3052 on: January 18, 2016, 03:33:02 PM »
Wife and I emptied out the cup/mug/glasses storage cabinet which had overflowed. Packed at least half of it away, and dutifully put it in the van to go to Goodwill.

A month later, she says "I'm just gonna throw them away, tired of them being in the back of the van."
That right there is the story of my life.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3053 on: January 18, 2016, 04:38:59 PM »
Got through the Christmas decorations today and consolidated down from 3 tubs to 1, which is a win.

Went through the random electronic stuff and over half of it was literally garbage, like a box and spare parts from the kit I received back when I had DSL like a decade ago.  A box and paperwork for a camera I lost 8 years ago, tons of CD jewel cases and liner notes I haven't looked at in ages, etc.  That's all been binned.

This afternoon I started in on the greenhouse and pitched all of the little nursery pots that were odd sizes or otherwise unfit to reuse for seed starting.  Also took all of my smaller planters out of there and will get them cleaned out and donated to ReStore.

Found my mom's old 35 mm SLR and am trying to figure out what to do with it.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3054 on: January 19, 2016, 03:33:46 AM »
I cleared out the cupboard under the kitchen sink and cleaned the surfaces down and put everything back neatly. I did use up the last of a kitchen cleaner that was lurking at the back and I threw away some glue that had gone hard. No idea why that was even in there.

I'm thinking, on a roll like when a snowball or something travels down a hill and momentum bulilds up.

Ah yes, maybe.:)

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3055 on: January 22, 2016, 02:22:37 PM »
Donated two years-old pairs of glasses today!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3056 on: January 22, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »
Future Hub is finally willing to give up his giant ancient and yellowed comforter. He almost renigged saying he might need it that night - but I assured him we have two others, plus another two packed away. It's in my car where he can't get at it.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3057 on: January 22, 2016, 04:50:01 PM »
Future Hub is finally willing to give up his giant ancient and yellowed comforter. He almost reneged renigged saying he might need it that night - but I assured him we have two others, plus another two packed away. It's in my car where he can't get at it.
ftfy

YoungRetire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3058 on: January 23, 2016, 12:21:13 AM »
So I think this would be a good thread for me. I don't actually have that much stuff as I live in a small apartment, but I still have more than I need. I am also a bit of a hoarder. I have clothes that are getting seriously worn out which I still wear and can't bring myself to throw away. I also always seem to have snail mail that seems vaguely important so I don't throw it away and eventually it builds up. And forgotten pantry items that I should use up. And a bunch of other things.

If you're anything like me please join me in getting rid of your stuff. Whether this means throwing them out, donating them, giving them to friends/family, eating them, or selling them.

If you have any tips on how to deal with the my-clothes-have-holes-but-are-so-comfy or I-may-need-this-someday syndrome, please share. And also let me know when there are cases where I-may-need-this syndrome actually makes sense, so I can identify what things I should actually keep and what I should throw.

My progress so far:

I recently managed to find some clothes that I donated to a charity bin.

And today I put up an ad on an online board to sell off a kitchen appliance that I don't use. Hopefully I'll get a buyer.

I'm going to try to find more things I can get rid of. I may actually be moving out of my place within a year or so, which provides extra incentive.

Feel free to join me!

I am constantly selling old junk laying around on offerup.com and i throw 100% of it on my 3 year mortgage !

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3059 on: January 23, 2016, 02:10:18 AM »
I seem to always keep a bag in the entry way to fill with random bits to donate. I'm looking forward to the day when I don't have this.

Or does that day never come?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3060 on: January 23, 2016, 07:10:12 AM »
I seem to always keep a bag in the entry way to fill with random bits to donate. I'm looking forward to the day when I don't have this.

I would like to know that.

I figure this current house decrapification effort will be labeled a success if I don't have more than a box or two to donate at the end of the calendar year.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3061 on: January 23, 2016, 09:46:56 AM »
Two more things out today (by accident) my hub's computer monitor broke and so did one of my costume necklaces!

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3062 on: January 23, 2016, 06:08:02 PM »

I am constantly selling old junk laying around on offerup.com and i throw 100% of it on my 3 year mortgage !

I looked up www.offerupnow.com and wasn't able to find fee info. Do you know how much seller fees are...are they comparable to eBay seller fees? And how do you receive payments for items?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3063 on: January 23, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »
Future Hub is finally willing to give up his giant ancient and yellowed comforter. He almost reneged renigged saying he might need it that night - but I assured him we have two others, plus another two packed away. It's in my car where he can't get at it.
ftfy

Ftfy?
Thanks grammar police. What can I say? Autocorrect did me wrong I guess :'(

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3064 on: January 24, 2016, 02:22:39 AM »
fixed that for you

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3065 on: January 25, 2016, 04:11:04 AM »
DD is now gone back to the uni so I have no excuse for not continuing with my effort to get rid of stuff.  I think by now I have gotten rid of most actual clutter in the house, so next stage for me is to move towards minimal :-)

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #3066 on: January 25, 2016, 12:10:26 PM »
I am checking back in after a hiatus. I am finding the changes already made to be soothing and look forward to more of that feeling. Marie Kondo's method really helped me. Yes I am STILL folding our clothes in her recommended way and loving it (really weird that I am so into it).

Most things I uncluttered stayed clear but not all. The garage got full again with projects. Emptying that requires repairing things.  Two closets got a bit messy but were returned to tidiness in a short period of time last week. It is easy to tidy most areas now since I have gotten rid of so much and know where things are. I wanted to hang a pair of curtains last week and actually found the hooks immediately. This is where the thinning out really pays off for me: when I am not wasting time and money buying new things because I cannot find the ones I already own.

Final Frontiers:
That one last cupboard with things that have family sentimentality to my in-laws but no one actually wants. 

The repair and painting of various things which are cluttering the garage.

The darning of several pieces of clothing.

Setting up storage in my craft area so I can do my hobbies.

The sewing of various projects.

Scanning photos and papers (my personal bugbear)

Reassess my computer for excess and organize again. 

First Set of Goals and Deadlines:
Set up craft supplies storage by finding an appropriate piece of furniture-February 29th
Paint and repair and empty the garage first. Goal date with help from others- March 15th
Cupboard emptied- May 1st
All darning - February 6th.

I will let you know how it goes. Somehow these final frontiers seem easier to tackle now. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3067 on: January 25, 2016, 01:44:45 PM »

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3068 on: January 25, 2016, 05:09:22 PM »
Good to see you, wintersun. I also find the results soothing and calming, even if I've decluttered just a little bit. I am so pleased every time I open my sock drawer.

DH is not into the Kondo thing, but I think he's been inspired to at least do some organizing of our overflowing drawers. Coincidentally, he just had three episodes of "I dropped X on the garage floor and now I can't find it!", so I think he might be more open to the idea that if things have a home, they will be easier to find. (And that cleaning up the ankle-deep trash makes life easier, too.)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3069 on: January 26, 2016, 03:21:48 AM »

For me it hasn't arrived yet, just because I'm now SO picky about what I let into the house. So though I don't buy things, and I try not to accept freebies wherever possible, gifts are my personal bugbear.

We enjoy entertaining, and unless it's wine, sorry, I'm going to donate it. Christmas, birthdays, people just visiting for drinks and bringing a pot holder, a cute coffee mug etc. Sorry, none of it is coming in.

So unless I start refusing well-intentioned gifts (can't see that happening) I think I'll always have the 'donate' box ready and waiting. The difference is that I'm not 'finding' things to go in it from around the house, they are being given to me, and I won't let them 'into the house' in the first place.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3070 on: January 26, 2016, 03:39:01 AM »

For me it hasn't arrived yet, just because I'm now SO picky about what I let into the house. So though I don't buy things, and I try not to accept freebies wherever possible, gifts are my personal bugbear.

We enjoy entertaining, and unless it's wine, sorry, I'm going to donate it. Christmas, birthdays, people just visiting for drinks and bringing a pot holder, a cute coffee mug etc. Sorry, none of it is coming in.

So unless I start refusing well-intentioned gifts (can't see that happening) I think I'll always have the 'donate' box ready and waiting. The difference is that I'm not 'finding' things to go in it from around the house, they are being given to me, and I won't let them 'into the house' in the first place.

Thanks for the insight! I haven't thought about the random things people give you.

I also tried having the "no gifts" conversation with my mom and I kinda rambled a lot. Who knows how well that went. Maybe I should try sticking to having very specific gift requests instead of absolutely nothing? Thoughts?

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #3071 on: January 26, 2016, 06:35:50 AM »
Going to try tackling my closet this week. It won't be easy, there's stuff in there that's been floating around for decades. Old collector's toys, comic books, game stuff, things like that. Plus it currently houses my (personal) camping gear, all our photo albums, kid's toys, and last but not least, clothes.

I can minimize most if not all of that. The real question is going to be what to do with 30-year-old collector's toys? I'm never going to display them. My son doesn't want them. I guess I could sell them, but that would take work...

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3072 on: January 26, 2016, 07:08:59 AM »
I am going to drop off another small batch of stuff at the consignment store at lunchtime today.  Hopefully, I have some money in the account so that I can pick up a check from them :-)

Tossed some random old unused greeting cards into recycling this morning. 

Plan of attack for this week:
- go through hats and scarves - I have way too many...
- do another sweep through the kitchen cupboards
- go through my knitting supplies, books and yarns and consolidate into two plastic bins
- find room for said bins in the walk in closet
- sort through skiing clothing (there are things there that I'm sure don't fit me any more... and it is another bin that needs to go upstairs)
- organize condo documents - toss anything not needed
- sort through CDs (a good number of them need to go back to my ex) - I'm hoping to reduce the number of CDs I have by half

That should keep me busy enough through the weekend :-)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3073 on: January 26, 2016, 08:18:00 AM »
Going to try tackling my closet this week. It won't be easy, there's stuff in there that's been floating around for decades. Old collector's toys, comic books, game stuff, things like that. Plus it currently houses my (personal) camping gear, all our photo albums, kid's toys, and last but not least, clothes.

I can minimize most if not all of that. The real question is going to be what to do with 30-year-old collector's toys? I'm never going to display them. My son doesn't want them. I guess I could sell them, but that would take work...

Are their organizations locally who hold benefit auctions.  Here there's an advocacy group and an adult day care center who hold annual festivals with fundraiser auctions.  Donate with a tax write off?

Might also find someone to do the selling for you? 

That sounds like a really intense closet. Keep going and moving ahead!  For me, I would have to break the sentimental stuff into categories and handle something a little less emotional in between!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3074 on: January 26, 2016, 08:20:14 AM »

Thanks for the insight! I haven't thought about the random things people give you.

I also tried having the "no gifts" conversation with my mom and I kinda rambled a lot. Who knows how well that went. Maybe I should try sticking to having very specific gift requests instead of absolutely nothing? Thoughts?

General consensus on here seems to be that people who like giving gifts like giving gifts, and will continue to do so, whatever the recipient says. (I find it ironic. I mean, the idea of a gift is to give something nice to the other person. If they have specifically said they don't want gifts, aren't you doing JUST the opposite by giving them something? Just making yourself feel better, not them? I digress).

I know many people have luck asking for 'experiences' eg tickets to events, days out, massage vouchers etc. My mum is a 'things' person and enjoys wrapping things up and watching us open them, so I asked for consumable things on account of our house being small. Mostly, she obliges, and actually, I love getting fancy cookies I wouldn't otherwise buy. Toiletries I usually donate brand new. If she comes just for a visit I always get a deluge of 'hostess gifts', though olive oil etc is becoming more common, and I definitely gush about consumables such as that, to try to encourage her.

Since getting really strict on what I 'let in' though I have noted that neither she, nor anyone else, has ever noticed that the things they give me aren't in the house. I'm guessing they just want to check the box of, "Gave hostess something" and don't recall from visit to visit what it was, or expect to see it.

I was worried about her noticing I just gave it all away, but nope, been doing it a few years and she hasn't caught on at all.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3075 on: January 26, 2016, 11:08:31 AM »
I am going to drop off another small batch of stuff at the consignment store at lunchtime today.  Hopefully, I have some money in the account so that I can pick up a check from them :-) Done - got a check for $80

- do another sweep through the kitchen cupboards
- go through my knitting supplies, books and yarns and consolidate into two plastic bins
- sort through skiing clothing (there are things there that I'm sure don't fit me any more... and it is another bin that needs to go upstairs)
- organize condo documents - toss anything not needed
- sort through CDs (a good number of them need to go back to my ex) - I'm hoping to reduce the number of CDs I have by half

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3076 on: January 26, 2016, 11:10:56 AM »

Is there a consignment store that will take them?  There was a local one near me that would sell toys. I barely got anything, but I also didn't have to do anything but drop them off.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3077 on: January 26, 2016, 12:49:43 PM »
this weekend we're getting rid of the bookshelves (putting them in the storage unit to be precise).

Getting rid of furniture feels good! It only cost $10 on CL in the first place and has served us well.

It would be more in the spirit of this thread to put the bookshelves on CL this weekend rather than in storage.  You can always buy off CL again if you ever need more bookshelves again - in the meantime, let CL be your storage unit.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3078 on: January 27, 2016, 03:00:24 AM »
I threw away an old mascara today. There was some left but it made my eyelashes stick together!

I am considering going upstairs to reorganise my husband's stuff as I realised that I could rearrange some things and get rid of an old storage box. It has been scratched by the cats and would not be able to be donated.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3079 on: January 27, 2016, 03:23:37 AM »
I'm going to a clothes swap in the near future. I think I'll take along a skirt (I like it but rarely wear because usually it's too small), a dressing gown (wasn't thinking clearly when I bought it, wore it precisely once) and some scarves. I will only bring something home if I love it and can't wait to wear it.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3080 on: January 27, 2016, 07:04:33 AM »
I am going to drop off another small batch of stuff at the consignment store at lunchtime today.  Hopefully, I have some money in the account so that I can pick up a check from them :-) Done - got a check for $80

- do another sweep through the kitchen cupboards Made a half-hearted attempt at this - tossed one plastic container into recycling...  Need to do more.
- organize condo documents - toss anything not needed Done.  Also went through two drawers that hold office things, stationery, etc. and tossed a bunch of stuff.  Made room for the [now organized] condo documents.

What do I do with the following??
- photo printing paper
- old but still working iPod player/speakers (does not support an iPhone)
- old but still working small humidifier (needs a new wick - not even sure if they are still made)

Also, can old batteries be tossed into regular garbage or are they considered hazardous waste?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3081 on: January 27, 2016, 09:55:51 AM »
What do I do with the following??
- photo printing paper
- old but still working iPod player/speakers (does not support an iPhone)
- old but still working small humidifier (needs a new wick - not even sure if they are still made)

Also, can old batteries be tossed into regular garbage or are they considered hazardous waste?

Not sure about printing paper.  Probably depends on the kind.  If there was enough, I'd ask my local library.

ipod player/speakers - I'd freecycle or Craig's list or Goodwill (well not Goodwill, but equivalent)
Ditto humidifier

Old batteries are hazardous waste.  Your local electronics store might have a program.

Quinn

« Reply #3082 on: January 27, 2016, 12:54:41 PM »

Batteries can be recycled. I think Home Depot and Best Buy have battery recycling boxes.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3083 on: January 27, 2016, 01:07:17 PM »
I was just looking up battery disposal! Actually, normal lithium batteries are standard household trash and do not get recycled; they no longer contain mercury. Rechargeable batteries must be dropped of at special sites.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3084 on: January 27, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »

Old batteries are hazardous waste.  Your local electronics store might have a program.

Depends on the type. Our city regularly runs commercials that say that standard batteries go in the trash, but specialized batteries must be taken to hazardous waste.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3085 on: January 27, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »
I have regular alkaline batteries - sounds like these can go into garbage. 

And I have an old rechargeable toothbrush with (I assume) a lithium battery that should be disposed off as hazardous waste?

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #3086 on: January 27, 2016, 02:13:14 PM »

If you figure out what to do with those toys, let me know. I have a collection of dolls from when I was a kid that more or less my mother and grandmother bought and "collected" for me. They were "good" dolls so I never could play with them and they just sat on display in a case. Some may be worth money, many probably aren't, but I don't know. When I bought a house seven years ago, my mother showed up a with a van load of my stuff and that included these dolls. They sit on shelves in the basement because I don't care about them and can't really be bothered to go through much effort to look into selling them. But she would kill me if I just threw them all in a donation bin because what if one of them was worth something??

jordanread

« Reply #3087 on: January 27, 2016, 03:41:21 PM »

If you figure out what to do with those toys, let me know. I have a collection of dolls from when I was a kid that more or less my mother and grandmother bought and "collected" for me. They were "good" dolls so I never could play with them and they just sat on display in a case. Some may be worth money, many probably aren't, but I don't know. When I bought a house seven years ago, my mother showed up a with a van load of my stuff and that included these dolls. They sit on shelves in the basement because I don't care about them and can't really be bothered to go through much effort to look into selling them. But she would kill me if I just threw them all in a donation bin because what if one of them was worth something??

I would suggest martial arts or knife fighting. That way, when she tries to kill you, you can hold your own.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #3088 on: January 27, 2016, 04:01:26 PM »

I would suggest martial arts or knife fighting. That way, when she tries to kill you, you can hold your own.

Noted. But she attacks with words. It's a skillful maneuver I can use on others in extreme circumstances but against her, I am no match.

jordanread

« Reply #3089 on: January 27, 2016, 04:03:07 PM »

Noted. But she attacks with words. It's a skillful maneuver I can use on others in extreme circumstances but against her, I am no match.

Laxative then. It's hard to talk shit when...oh yeah. And how would she kill you with words?

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #3090 on: January 27, 2016, 04:41:06 PM »

Laxative then. It's hard to talk shit when...oh yeah. And how would she kill you with words?

Never mind. :) I was just saying, she would't kill me physically, just slay me with words telling me i'm a disappointment and careless if I were to do something like donate all the dolls and then find out the collection was worth well over $1,000 or something.

jordanread

« Reply #3091 on: January 27, 2016, 06:19:21 PM »

Never mind. :) I was just saying, she would't kill me physically, just slay me with words telling me i'm a disappointment and careless if I were to do something like donate all the dolls and then find out the collection was worth well over $1,000 or something.
I knew what you meant. I was just feeling snarky. Plus the idea of attacking with laxative made me giggle. I'm done now.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #3092 on: January 27, 2016, 06:30:29 PM »

I knew what you meant. I was just feeling snarky. Plus the idea of attacking with laxative made me giggle. I'm done now.
I appreciate the snark. Now give me some damn ideas on how to unload this stuff! :) But really, I tried eBay a few years ago with some "collector" Holiday Barbies and they went for like 20 to 35 bucks each. Probably about what was paid for them back in the 90s, but then there are eBay fees and PayPal fees and the hassle of shipping. Just doesn't seem worth the effort, but maybe that's why I'm a mustachian in training and not FI yet!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3093 on: January 27, 2016, 06:53:52 PM »
The nice trash collectors came around today and took two bins full of the non-burnable wood scraps and other assorted detritus from the shop cleanout.

Shipped off a book that finally sold on Amazon after several months.

Started my horses on a new feed program so I can simply drop the bag of feed and vitamins off out at the barn ever two weeks instead of measuring and dispensing things at home and then bringing them out.  Less waste, one less thing for me to worry about, and no more clutter from the bags and bottles I was measuring the feed rations into.

Got rid of some padded envelopes I was saving to re-use since I am getting low on salable things that would fit in them.

Not getting rid of things, but I figured out a nifty way of hanging my muddy riding boots in the garage so they're off the floor so they can dry out instead of creating mucky garage clutter.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3094 on: January 27, 2016, 09:18:18 PM »

Batteries can be recycled. I think Home Depot and Best Buy have battery recycling boxes.

You can also recycle batteries, light bulbs and plastic bags at Lowe's. There are bins in the Returns area. 

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3095 on: January 27, 2016, 09:31:25 PM »

I tried eBay a few years ago with some "collector" Holiday Barbies and they went for like 20 to 35 bucks each. Probably about what was paid for them back in the 90s, but then there are eBay fees and PayPal fees and the hassle of shipping. Just doesn't seem worth the effort, but maybe that's why I'm a mustachian in training and not FI yet!

In the past year I sold many old dolls and toys on eBay, and did well with *some* of the items. The highest price items were 2 old German dolls from the early 1900s, and some 1960s-70s Barbie dolls & clothes. Your instincts are correct about Barbies from the 80s and 90s not selling for much. I ended up donating most of those (except for the very unusual, one of a kind Barbies from that era). We were able to use the tax deduction this year, so it made more sense (and cents) to donate them. :-)

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #3096 on: January 28, 2016, 06:27:17 AM »
Mostly christmas gifts went ok this time around. Got a nice, new lightweight mini-backpack, so now I can take that and not my old college-pack on woodland tours. Also got towels and food and even a set of frying pans I really needed.

But I also got a shoe tree-ornament. What? Why does soeone give a shoe-ornament to anyone, especially someone who does not put up a tree for the holidays? And so now I have to get rid of it while not tossing it in the trash. I wanted a bottle of wine. Happily cheap wine: at least I can cook with that and recycle the bottle.

In my out-stack I currently have old medications (need to get them safely disposed of at the farmacy), a few old cookbooks, a binder and a faux leather jacket that I love to look at but hate to wear.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3097 on: January 28, 2016, 08:18:51 AM »

I appreciate the snark. Now give me some damn ideas on how to unload this stuff! :) But really, I tried eBay a few years ago with some "collector" Holiday Barbies and they went for like 20 to 35 bucks each. Probably about what was paid for them back in the 90s, but then there are eBay fees and PayPal fees and the hassle of shipping. Just doesn't seem worth the effort, but maybe that's why I'm a mustachian in training and not FI yet!

Wow, you did well on those. Last I looked they weren't even worth what I paid in the 90s (still had tags on them).  I just gave them to my cousins as Christmas gifts. They love Barbies.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #3098 on: January 28, 2016, 08:33:46 AM »

I feel your pain. I have roughly $1500 worth of Transformers from the 80's (based on ratings from ToyFare Magazine). All original, with all the pieces and everything. Some of them were mail-order-only and are pretty rare. But holy cow, I don't want to pack up, list, and ship a couple hundred pieces! It would take weeks to get all that photographed, packed, and listed, not to mention selling the stuff and dealing with the hassle of buyers who are picky, etc.

I may find someone who's a collector and unload the whole lot for a decent price, but even that would take some work.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3099 on: January 28, 2016, 08:51:55 AM »
If you just want to get rid of them, you might be able to sell the lot for $300-500 if it's really worth $1500.
Just quick and gone.