Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851536 times)

alleykat

• Bristles
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2050 on: July 08, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »
I am beginning to declutter again.  I had to take a break from it as I have done a major declutter within the last year or so. I have taken out some storage containers and am ready to go through them. I just don't know what to do with my collectibles.  They aren't worth much, I checked on ebay and most are not selling at all.  I am not ready to take that hit but I don't want them either.  What a dilemma.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2051 on: July 08, 2015, 12:00:49 PM »
I am beginning to declutter again.  I had to take a break from it as I have done a major declutter within the last year or so. I have taken out some storage containers and am ready to go through them. I just don't know what to do with my collectibles.  They aren't worth much, I checked on ebay and most are not selling at all.  I am not ready to take that hit but I don't want them either.  What a dilemma.

What type of collectibles?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2052 on: July 08, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »
A bag of clothing out today to neighbors - a dress, pants, several shirts, a skirt, a couple handkerchiefs. And a book .

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2053 on: July 08, 2015, 12:50:49 PM »
Also went thru a small stack of papers in my dressers top drawer . always mange to collect ...
Also, go thru my car to order things every week or so ( recycle expired coupons and trash out from door etc. Tidy up items in trunk & donate any items hav gathered there ) .

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #2054 on: July 08, 2015, 01:37:53 PM »
I just don't know what to do with my collectibles.

I don't want them

You do know what to do ;-)

jrubin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2055 on: July 08, 2015, 04:23:31 PM »
I have some collectibles too, like Lladro statues that were gifted to me. Not really moving from what I've seen on eBay, not sure how to sell any other way :(

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2056 on: July 08, 2015, 10:55:43 PM »
Excellent point, Melody! If I left food at work it would get devoured. I'll go through my food with that in mind. Thanks!
Happy to help. I am very good at giving things away but not so much to charity where I am sometimes doubtful if the stuff gets used/appreciated and don't have the personal connection to get a warm fuzzy from it. I have never felt the need to de clutter a suit jacket which is too big for me (and I have two more black suit jackets) but as soon as I saw an unemployed friend needed one I was very enthusiastic about decluttering it. So I usually focus on finding more appreciative homes for things which helps me de clutter. I suppose because I then don't feel "omg I wasted how much on this" but I go "yay... I am making someone happy... Warm fuzzy feelings!!!" I am super good about old towels to the cat haven though... Excuse to visit cute kitties and always appreciated.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2057 on: July 08, 2015, 10:57:03 PM »
Also three bottles of medication last night... One of them was 6 years out of date... Oops!!! And I thought I had done a really good job on the bathroom the other week.

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #2058 on: July 09, 2015, 05:42:11 AM »
I have some collectibles too, like Lladro statues that were gifted to me. Not really moving from what I've seen on eBay, not sure how to sell any other way :(

So you have some rubbishy statues that were "gifted" to you and that you don't want.  Would it really be so wrong just to toss them into the trash and be done with them?  If nothing else you would get that quick rush of being done with them and having them out of your sight. 

Myself, I have a couple of decorative bowls I was planning "re-purpose" with a hammer.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:51:01 AM by Bardo »

Nancy

« Reply #2059 on: July 09, 2015, 06:54:58 AM »

I had a similar issue with an expensive watch that was gifted to me 15 years ago. I decided to give it to a family member, who I know will wear it. Do you know anyone who would appreciate the statues?

I learned something about myself when I decluttered my valuable. I don't like "nice" things. I get tremendous joy from old repurposed items, but fancy/shiny things stress me out. Not sure if it's a fear of breaking them or what, but I prefer used.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2060 on: July 09, 2015, 07:33:33 AM »

Are there any kids in your family who would want them?  Since you don't care if they get broken/chipped. 

If you really need to sell them, perhaps a high-end consignment furniture shop?  They often have such things, and if you try there and it doesn't work, you're not out anything.

jrubin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2061 on: July 09, 2015, 12:06:34 PM »

I had a similar issue with an expensive watch that was gifted to me 15 years ago. I decided to give it to a family member, who I know will wear it. Do you know anyone who would appreciate the statues?

I learned something about myself when I decluttered my valuable. I don't like "nice" things. I get tremendous joy from old repurposed items, but fancy/shiny things stress me out. Not sure if it's a fear of breaking them or what, but I prefer used.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I will start by asking family members if they are interested in these things, then move on to a consignment shop, and as a last step - the thrill of tossing (or hammering) them ;)   I also prefer older, repurposed things that I don't have to stress out about breaking - based solely on what someone else spent on them.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2062 on: July 09, 2015, 12:12:06 PM »
Oftentimes you can get more benefit from donating and using the tax deduction than you can get from selling the item. I do a combination of selling on eBay, donating to thrift store or giving to friends. (Have mostly given up on Criag's List except when trying to sell cars). Last year I cleared out almost all my books and donated them, even some valuable ones. I typed up a list of the titles and took pics for proof of donation (along with thrift store receipt). ~We had a really nice tax deduction last year!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2063 on: July 09, 2015, 01:02:59 PM »

So you have some rubbishy statues that were "gifted" to you and that you don't want.  Would it really be so wrong just to toss them into the trash and be done with them?  If nothing else you would get that quick rush of being done with them and having them out of your sight. 

I at least would give them to a thrift shop or freecycle them. That doesn't take much effort, but produces less waste, as someone might want them, just not for much money.

I think I will have a similar problem with Hummells in just a few years. There are at least 8 family members with significant collections. And they know I'm the one who cares about "family stuff".  Except I don't consider mass produced figurines to be family antiques like the trunks my grandparents brought over from Hungary. Totally different category.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2064 on: July 09, 2015, 03:52:51 PM »
Task for the weekend: get the book from the library and do some focused decluttering. I also want to learn the folding tricks as I wear a lot of t-shirts and tank tops and have yet to figure out a way to keep the draw clean.

YouTube videos are great for that. I couldn't figure out how to fold just based on the description in the book.

Here's a link to Marie Kondo folding undies

https://youtu.be/tglp9eWQEhY

There are countless videos of other people (not Marie Kondo) folding T-shirts, I liked this one

https://youtu.be/EIjGlMD0Nz8
I spent about 20 minutes watching youtube videos before I put my clothes back in the drawers.  I save a lot of time finding things because everything is so easily accessible.  Organizing my socks was life-changing. 

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2065 on: July 09, 2015, 03:57:46 PM »
I read the Life-changing Magic book a couple of months ago but can't remember - why does she suggest folding all your things rather than hanging them in the closet? It seems much easier and faster to just hang everything, especially when you hang shirts to dry on the hangers and can just pop them in the closet when they're dry.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #2066 on: July 09, 2015, 04:18:13 PM »
I read the Life-changing Magic book a couple of months ago but can't remember - why does she suggest folding all your things rather than hanging them in the closet? It seems much easier and faster to just hang everything, especially when you hang shirts to dry on the hangers and can just pop them in the closet when they're dry.
Because when you fold, you check the condition the item is in, as well as folded items taking up much less space than hanging ones.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2067 on: July 09, 2015, 04:49:36 PM »
I have been doing the hangar trick for about a month and wanted to try it for the folding stuff. With the new "folding" and a bit of cardboard I reckon I can move things from one side of the drawer to the other.the idea is that when I move to Melbourne any winter clothes that haven't been used are to stay behind or in the very least to be seriously scrutinized. My problem is I can not wear something for more than a year and then "rediscover" it and wear it to death. Generally the rediscovery relies on a complementary item entering my wardrobe. I had this shirt I really liked by found I wasn't really wearing it as it didn't go with much. Since my grey tights have entered my wardrobe it gets worn a fair bit.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2068 on: July 09, 2015, 05:06:24 PM »
My clearing clutter energy came back and it is so satisfying to be almost through the first round of clearing the house out.  Another load to the dumpster this week has left me seeing the finish line ahead.  I am revelling in the feeling of being able to locate most things, being able to access them easily, being able to walk into each room with ease and best of all feeling a yummy feeling when I walk into a room and it has clear surfaces and a clear floor.

My second round will involve dealing with all the paper that was kept and organised into categories in last year's mammoth paper purge. For some reason I am putting off scanning since I don't know how.  The second round will also include checking each closet and drawer and cupboard for things which I am now ready to release.  That part should be quite quick.

Ongoing projects such as using up all lotions and toothpastes and other toiletries are bringing me weekly joy as I slowly reduce the number of jars and bottles.

Repeatedly lately people have been offering me their culled items: tonight someone brought two bags of clothing to a party for a give away and people kept holding things up for me to try on.  Finally someone asked me why I was not trying things on and I said I simply do not want to add to what I have.

I feel excited that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I have never lived in a state of choice, where everything we own has been recently examined and chosen.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2069 on: July 09, 2015, 05:09:24 PM »
This week two groups of people came to our house and remarked that it looks different and feels different than the last time they were here.  I explained that I had cleared out every drawer, closet, box and bin and they said they could feel a freshness in the house that was not there before. 

Made my day!!!!

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2070 on: July 09, 2015, 06:07:27 PM »
This week two groups of people came to our house and remarked that it looks different and feels different than the last time they were here.  I explained that I had cleared out every drawer, closet, box and bin and they said they could feel a freshness in the house that was not there before. 

Made my day!!!!

Yay, wintersun! That was a fitting affirmation for all your efforts. :-)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2071 on: July 10, 2015, 02:45:46 AM »

Made my day!!!!

My mum also commented on our house. She literally walked in and said, "What have you done?" as if we had redecorated or something. I suppose it's like people say that they get a face lift and everyone knows something is different, but can't put their finger on it, and so think they've changed their hair or something.

I just said, "oh I just tidied up" and she remarked about how great it was looking. It did feel nice... but it also made me slightly regretful for living in such disorder for so long (I always had an excuse, we are about to start a remodel soon, so there was no point in giving things a home etc etc). Anyway, it was nice that she noticed.

Thanks Eirene for posting the link to those videos - very helpful. I was interested to see she doesn't fold bras in half down the middle as I do. I guess she thinks it's bad for the material to be effectively turned inside out (I tuck one cup into the other).

Approaching the 1300 mark in my 2015 in 2015 challenge. I have a fair few things on ebay finishing this weekend, so they'll get checked off as they go out of the door. The money will be useful too, we've been doing an unusual amount of entertaining this month (probably linked to the fact I don't feel the need to clear up for company coming?) so we're short on booze.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2072 on: July 10, 2015, 08:53:22 AM »
Because when you fold, you check the condition the item is in, as well as folded items taking up much less space than hanging ones.

Wouldn't you check the condition when you wear it? I'd certainly notice if something I had on had holes in it or something. As far as space, I think it just makes more sense to get rid of enough clothes that you don't need more space than your closet has. But I guess most people probably have more clothes than me...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2073 on: July 10, 2015, 09:32:20 AM »

I at least would give them to a thrift shop or freecycle them. That doesn't take much effort, but produces less waste, as someone might want them, just not for much money.

I think I will have a similar problem with Hummells in just a few years. There are at least 8 family members with significant collections. And they know I'm the one who cares about "family stuff".  Except I don't consider mass produced figurines to be family antiques like the trunks my grandparents brought over from Hungary. Totally different category.

Are any of the Hummells valuable at all? If not, just donate them when you end up with them.

Actually, my sister and I have figured out how to handle parent's stuff eventually:
1. We take what we want (luckily, not aware of much overlap)
2. Offer to family
3. Offer to friends
4. Donate/sell/trash

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2074 on: July 10, 2015, 09:58:49 AM »
Are any of the Hummells valuable at all? If not, just donate them when you end up with them.

Expensive to buy ($150-$300!!!).  But I can't imagine many (if any) of them have retained their value at all. Way too many people have these things.
Ebay tells me they go for $10-50.  Which on the lower end doesn't seem worth the effort of trying to ship something breakable, which can lose the seller money.

So yeah, we will probably donate them.  Although, with my parents I suspect we will have to have some sort of estate sale. Are stamp sets from every year since 1950 worth anything? What about coin proof sets? (At the very least I can open those up and have $1.41!) My Dad collects so much crap.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2075 on: July 10, 2015, 10:08:11 AM »

Wouldn't you check the condition when you wear it? I'd certainly notice if something I had on had holes in it or something. As far as space, I think it just makes more sense to get rid of enough clothes that you don't need more space than your closet has. But I guess most people probably have more clothes than me...
Her reasoning is that it's hard on clothes. They don't like being hung up (back to the slightly batty "objects have feelings" mentality)

To me, it's definitely batty. But then again, so is my roommate. She's not willing to part with anything, even though she has more clothes than she needs. She won't even get rid of clothes that are now too big for her! "I can get them altered" um, not worth it on a large scale. Either learn to sew and do it yourself, or get rid of them and just get new clothes.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2076 on: July 10, 2015, 10:10:33 AM »

Expensive to buy ($150-$300!!!).  But I can't imagine many (if any) of them have retained their value at all. Way too many people have these things.
Ebay tells me they go for $10-50.  Which on the lower end doesn't seem worth the effort of trying to ship something breakable, which can lose the seller money.

So yeah, we will probably donate them.  Although, with my parents I suspect we will have to have some sort of estate sale. Are stamp sets from every year since 1950 worth anything? What about coin proof sets? (At the very least I can open those up and have $1.41!) My Dad collects so much crap.

For the stamps and coins, it's worth checking with a dealer. Some of them might be valuable, and unless you want to take the time to figure it out, there are stamp/coin dealers. Though I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't find some sort of exchange online and check prices.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2077 on: July 10, 2015, 10:41:20 AM »
The Hummel collection conversation is interesting.  My mom collects them.  Due to the expense, dad buys them for her, we don't.  I'm now wondering if eBay will be my new best friend for presents for my mom...

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #2078 on: July 10, 2015, 11:08:11 AM »
We hang up all of our shirts and pants except for a small stack of old clothes that are worn for tasks like painting where is doesn't matter if you stain them. Hanging keeps them at eye level and unwrinkled. There is also room for air circulation around clothes that are hung up if your closest isn't stuffed full. We can see the condition of the clothes just fine on a hanger. We also have a house rule that you can't throw out anything clean so inspection better be done before the clothes hit the laundry basket!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2079 on: July 10, 2015, 01:17:33 PM »
The Hummel collection conversation is interesting.  My mom collects them.  Due to the expense, dad buys them for her, we don't.  I'm now wondering if eBay will be my new best friend for presents for my mom...

I found a few that I know my Mom has for as low as $7.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2080 on: July 10, 2015, 08:31:51 PM »
Hummels: could sell as a lot.vs individually. Less listing work and higher return.

Hanging everything:  some things stretch when hung.  Especially knits of course,
Other things can be distorted by hangers too. Some things wrinkle when folded... 

simmias

• Stubble
« Reply #2081 on: July 10, 2015, 09:37:58 PM »
If I remember the story Kondo told to illustrate folding vs. hanging, it was that she had a client with two walk-in closets and a standalone filled with clothes even though it was just her and she said she didn't own that much clothing.  Turned out she hung up every piece of clothing she owned, including t-shirts and underwear, and had special hangers for each type of clothing.  Kondo just had her fold the stuff that should be folded and it solved her problem.

I love Kondo's folding methods, especially for socks, underwear and t-shirts.  I love opening my dresser now, while in the past it was just a place where things would get piled up, buried and forgotten.

But hey, if you have the closet space, hang it all.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2082 on: July 11, 2015, 05:18:13 AM »
Re stamps - we took my Dad's collection, and all the associated equipment, to a dealer with online auctions.  The dealer was pleasantly surprised by what it brought, two people got into a bidding war for what was a very ordinary collection.  They took their 20%, which was totally fair because they did all the work and sold to an interested market, and all I had to do was get the collection to them and wait.  I am sure even at the expected sale price that I would have netted more than if I had tried to sell it myself, and I definitely made more because of the bidding war.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2083 on: July 11, 2015, 08:58:33 AM »
Re stamps - we took my Dad's collection, and all the associated equipment, to a dealer with online auctions.  The dealer was pleasantly surprised by what it brought, two people got into a bidding war for what was a very ordinary collection.  They took their 20%, which was totally fair because they did all the work and sold to an interested market, and all I had to do was get the collection to them and wait.  I am sure even at the expected sale price that I would have netted more than if I had tried to sell it myself, and I definitely made more because of the bidding war.

This is a great idea , very inspiring & something I hadn't thought of .
I hav a  mink coat that was my great grandmothers .any thoughts of how I couldgo about selling to get the most money for it?

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2084 on: July 11, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »
My dad has thoughtfully started liquidating his coin collection, knowing my sister and I have no interest.  I really appreciate that.  If there's much less, we will likely bring the collection to a dealer and see what they will give us, or maybe consider going through an auctioneer. 

The have little of much value (other than the accounts), but sister and I will take what we want (which likely won't be all that much), and the rest will either be donated, or we might bring in someone to hold a large estate sale and let them take their cut, if they think it will be worth it.  My parents don't live near friends or family, so we can't really offer to let people forage, which is just as well, I think.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2085 on: July 11, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »

This is a great idea , very inspiring & something I hadn't thought of .
I hav a  mink coat that was my great grandmothers .any thoughts of how I couldgo about selling to get the most money for it?

I sold my grandma's fur wrap on eBay and shipped it to a woman in Italy. To attract international buyers, I made sure to offer international postage "at actual cost" after inputting the weight and dimensions of the package. If you instead select the default option of sending it to a shipping center and having ebay forward it, they mark the price up so much that it scares away most int'l buyers. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 03:55:12 PM by Practical Magic »

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2086 on: July 11, 2015, 03:53:33 PM »
I'm just wondering if your dad's stamp collection was neatly organized in binders or something? I have a bag of loose stamps (and some may even be postmarked) from the 60s-80s. Not sure if a dealer would want to look at my mess of a collection.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 03:56:21 PM by Practical Magic »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2087 on: July 11, 2015, 04:13:53 PM »
Both.  There were stamp books with the appropriate stamps, there were loose stamps (in envelopes, sorted), there were the forceps and stuff to process the stamps.

I chatted with them while they looked at my stamps and made my list.  They get all sorts of stuff, in all sorts of levels of organisation - they are used to handling estate stamps. They will know whether to put it up in one lot or separate things out.  Or whether there is any value at all.

I'm just wondering if your dad's stamp collection was neatly organized in binders or something? I have a bag of loose stamps (and some may even be postmarked) from the 60s-80s. Not sure if a dealer would want to look at my mess of a collection.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2088 on: July 11, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
Today (because all it does is rain here in NoVA) we attacked the finished attic room that we use for TV and storage. Since we moved in almost 7 years ago, we have piled things up, left unsorted boxes laying around, the usual crap. Everytime I went upstairs I felt tired and dusty and overwhelmed. First round today we made a large give away pile: old gym bags with broken zippers, never played old time games like Pictionary, soccer cleats, etc. Then filled 2 trash bags of useless, broken, whatever stuff. Moved everything out from the low edges of the room, vacuumed, dusted, and put boxes back in some order. Still lots of boxes to go through and sort (DH has all his uniforms from the Navy, even though he retired 5 years ago), tons of "memory" papers (do I need that musuem guide from Tokyo?).

Didn't move us towards FIRE, but there's lots more clean floor, and it felt like progress.

ETA: of course in one dusty pile I found a forgotten "decluttering" book. Guess I'll read that tonight...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:49:18 PM by Basenji »

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #2089 on: July 11, 2015, 05:49:37 PM »
I've got 3 big bags of stuff in the back of the car, all going to Goodwill tomorrow. It's mostly clothes, some books and misc stuff.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2090 on: July 11, 2015, 09:07:07 PM »
I did another cull of my drawings and paintings. Funny how some things were soooo precious to me even a few years ago either made me sad to look at (I was extremely productive at drawing when I was going through a really bad patch in my life) or I'd lost my emotional attachment to it. So now I'm down to about 20 loose drawings and paintings, 2 sketchbooks and my drawings and paintings hung up in the lounge room.

I've kept my coloured pencils and set of 12 graphite pencils but have offloaded the rest of my stuff over the past few years. There was a lot of guilty shoulds "I should really do some drawings or paintings" but even if I made myself sit down with paints or pencils, the spark wasn't there and it felt like a chore. And because it felt like a chore, the painting or drawing was pretty shitty and soulless.

Moral of my story: something can be a huge and important part of your life for years, but I've changed and I'd rather get rid of stuff that I feel ambivalent or worse about.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2091 on: July 12, 2015, 05:37:42 AM »
I threw away some random things I found in a drawer. I also went through my collection of pens and threw away the ones that had run out.

ETA: of course in one dusty pile I found a forgotten "decluttering" book. Guess I'll read that tonight...

:P

Nancy

« Reply #2092 on: July 12, 2015, 05:59:46 AM »

She doesn't say to fold all of your clothes since she suggests hanging items in terms of length going up to the right or some such thing. Anyway, I wouldn't get too hung up (a wink) on her suggestions of how and what to fold. Do what feels right/works for you.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2093 on: July 12, 2015, 06:42:50 AM »
I haven't read the book but just the idea of thanking an item for its service has really helped me say goodbye to a pot of stuff. This is probably the biggest single de clutter I have done in my adult life that wasn't motivated by moving house. And yet when I look in my closet I think "I probably could have culled further". So I may do another cut later. I also kept "this should go to someone who will appreciate it more than me". A friend dropped in tonight and I was able to give her two t-shirts and three pairs of tights. She was so stoked she pulled one of the shirts on immediately to wear out to the pub :-)  so thanking a worn out item for its service or thinking of a new appreciative owner for an item in good condition that didn't suit my life has really helped :-)

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2094 on: July 12, 2015, 07:47:45 AM »
I bought a copy of the Magic Art of Tidying Up yesterday afternoon with a gift card + it was on sale.  I've read a little bit and so far so good. 

I've moved a few times over the last 2 years so we downsized quite a bit but I am going to attack my clothes one night next week.  I will work on 'my' stuff first and then branch over to 'our' stuff.  I think the author suggests the discarding is done in a particular order and I will do it her way. 

Because of all the moves, I let go of a few sentimental items that sat in a cupboard.  I am going to keep track of the number of boxes and bags I send to the thriftstore just out of curiosity.  When I first found this website, I sold some designer purses that I'd received as gifts but never used.  That was about it for anything of any real money value.  I think I will work it down to one sentimental item per person if I can.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2095 on: July 12, 2015, 12:46:12 PM »
The wardrobe categories I've cut are down to about one third.  Today, I culled 35 boots and shoes.   Still need to do cardigans, dresses, and coats.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2096 on: July 12, 2015, 02:07:16 PM »
Several pieces of clothing out : shirts, shorts, dresses, socks, bathing suit, shoes, fabric, handkerchiefs.. And 5 books out as well. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2097 on: July 12, 2015, 02:34:56 PM »
And on the way to the car, a pair of sunglasses out . ( there's donations for other condo dwellers where I live ) . I only just purchased them a couple months ago ( grrr ) but never really could get behind the unusual frame shape.. I sooo wanted to like them, ah well . only out $2 ( secondhand ) thankfully.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2098 on: July 12, 2015, 03:01:30 PM »
The bad news: Many books in, from a library sale and my mom.  (Both cases were free, as the library was closing up shop, although I did give a donation for a bag).

The good news: I'll read once and donate some of those.  (Already read two.)  I went through a pile of books near my book case and eliminated a stack of books ranging from girls scout books from my childhood to "welcome to Boston" to books from school I no longer want.

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
« Reply #2099 on: July 12, 2015, 04:15:08 PM »
This has been a constant challenge living in a small house. I read an article on the book, the Life-changing Magic, but there is still a long waiting list to borrow it from the library. But I did start rolling my socks like sushi. I've been folding my shirts her way for several years now, after reading about it on life hacker and loved the idea. It saved a lot of room in my dresser.

For awhile I was making weekly drop offs to a local charity that gives items away to the poor. I've let the progress slip, so maybe this post will get me back on board!

NDQ

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!