Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851390 times)

Anje

• Stubble
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1800 on: June 04, 2015, 05:59:06 AM »

Personally, I think the main thing she's selling - to keep only things that give you joy - doesn't make sense. Not everything is made to give you joy. Most tools are just tools. Does this USB cable give me joy? No, but it takes up a small amount of space and I like to have an extra one for certain situations. A bag of screws certainly doesn't give me joy, but that bag has saved me several trips to a hardware store.

I think the quirkyness is part culture, though.

And after hearing the whole book I would perhaps sum up my impression of her aproach thus: she puts weight in the fact that tidying is emotional, not logical. Anyone may sit down, make a list of "things I need" and then toss all else. It's as simple as making a grosery list (though more timeconsuming). Yet we don't do that.

She nods to usefull things that doesn't bring "joy", and then debates if that item, be it a screw, cord or box is of use. Do you keep it "in case" and have for 3 years with no use? Is it easy to get your hands on? Pass it on. To get use out of something is a form of joy to her. My pots and pan doesn't "spark joy" when I hold them. They're old and battered. But they DO help me make many culinary joys. That tray I never use on the other hand, never brings me joy of any sort and so I gave that one away. It's a, to me, new yet very effective way to think.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #1801 on: June 04, 2015, 06:16:54 AM »
The Minimalists say that they have a $20 rule. If you aren't sure if you will use it in the future and it can be repurchased for $20 or less then you should get rid of it. Chances are you'll never do that though!

I follow this rule. I got rid of hundreds of dollars of computer parts... but by the time I did that, the parts were either outdated, or were cheap enough that I could buy another one for $15 if I needed to.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #1802 on: June 04, 2015, 06:48:06 AM »
The Minimalists say that they have a $20 rule. If you aren't sure if you will use it in the future and it can be repurchased for $20 or less then you should get rid of it. Chances are you'll never do that though!
Thanks for sharing this rule, it's something I've been having trouble with - deciding whether to get rid of extras I've got in case I need them later if something breaks. This is a big one in our kitchen - excess casserole dishes, cookie sheets, cutting boards and so on that we might need some day when one wears out.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1803 on: June 04, 2015, 07:49:14 AM »
The rule I've read of is the 20/20 rule, which does not only factor in money but also time: any item that you can get within 20 minutes and for less than $20 you don't need to keep 'just in case'

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1804 on: June 04, 2015, 08:44:49 AM »
The rule I've read of is the 20/20 rule, which does not only factor in money but also time: any item that you can get within 20 minutes and for less than $20 you don't need to keep 'just in case'

Don't ruin it for me! I live in the country!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1805 on: June 04, 2015, 09:09:54 AM »
You can replace the 20 minute part by 'can be found online' / 'borrowed from neighbours' etc.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #1806 on: June 04, 2015, 09:11:26 AM »
Don't ruin it for me! I live in the country!
LOL that was my first thought too, nothing I can get within 20 minutes! I like the rule but will adjust it to anything less than $20 that I can get either online or within an hour drive of home.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1807 on: June 04, 2015, 09:15:47 AM »
You can replace the 20 minute part by 'can be found online' / 'borrowed from neighbours' etc.

That's good. 'Located and ordered within 20 mins' will do me.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1808 on: June 04, 2015, 10:31:26 AM »
http://www.theminimalists.com/21days/

This approach is too minimalist for me at this time , I hav a lot of art/sewing projects I don't work on every week. But I thought someone reading the thread might be into a more "logical" (keeping what you really use) approach. Found it ( and other articles ) on this site interesting.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1809 on: June 04, 2015, 10:48:08 AM »
Just brought a few more items to the consignment store and collected a check for $50+.  There were 3 dresses in the batch that had a lot of meaning for me and it was hard to let them go.  But they are now 2 sizes too small so I will never wear them again.  I said goodbye and thank you to them following the Konmarie method and that made it easier.

jordanread

« Reply #1810 on: June 04, 2015, 11:59:02 AM »
The only thing I've gotten from the book is a way to fold (which is awesome). Other things I do relating to the book are more properly relegated to this thread, as opposed to the book itself. Kondo's leanings don't quite get me all excited, but I think that some of the stuff people have commented recently made me a bit concerned.

Personally, I think the main thing she's selling - to keep only things that give you joy - doesn't make sense. Not everything is made to give you joy. Most tools are just tools. Does this USB cable give me joy? No, but it takes up a small amount of space and I like to have an extra one for certain situations. A bag of screws certainly doesn't give me joy, but that bag has saved me several trips to a hardware store.

I think the quirkyness is part culture, though.

And after hearing the whole book I would perhaps sum up my impression of her aproach thus: she puts weight in the fact that tidying is emotional, not logical. Anyone may sit down, make a list of "things I need" and then toss all else. It's as simple as making a grosery list (though more timeconsuming). Yet we don't do that.

She nods to usefull things that doesn't bring "joy", and then debates if that item, be it a screw, cord or box is of use. Do you keep it "in case" and have for 3 years with no use? Is it easy to get your hands on? Pass it on. To get use out of something is a form of joy to her. My pots and pan doesn't "spark joy" when I hold them. They're old and battered. But they DO help me make many culinary joys. That tray I never use on the other hand, never brings me joy of any sort and so I gave that one away. It's a, to me, new yet very effective way to think.
I totally understand about the "sparking joy" issue. Very few of my items spark joy, but I do use them a lot. 

I've taken away that I need to do an entire subsection in a day.  I made so much progress with my clothing (which is the only thing I've used for the KonMari method to do) in a short period of time.  It was also helpful to have a list, finish the entire process (no breaks), and reap the benefits so quickly.  I'm planning to do books with my husband this weekend. 

Some of Marie Kondo's terminology and tendencies (greeting houses) is bizarre.  However, the bigger picture of reducing possessions and not hoarding them in storage containers speaks to me. 

It is part culture, and part her religion. The idea that stuff does hold our energy is interesting, and translates well to decluttering.

However, I will say that 'sparking joy' is an interesting way of looking at things. If a USB cable that you use all the time doesn't spark joy, why do you use it? Every time I plug it in, I tend to think of all the awesomeness that goes with it. There is somewhere where coal, nuclear, or wind is harnessed (and I do prefer wind) that then sends all that electricity down the wires to me. It then goes into a battery that stores that, whether it be my remote re-charger, my laptop, or my UPS's (which runs my servers). Thinking about all that does spark joy in me. I shifted my thinking and reclaimed the whole sparking joy thing. It wasn't religiously based as Kondo's bit, but still...

Mikhial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1811 on: June 04, 2015, 12:30:51 PM »
I have a question for those of you selling some of your stuff: what's your go-to answer when someone asks "What's the lowest price you'll take?" I absolutely HATE that question and I get it with almost everything I put up for sale. Someone even asked me that about my house! Luckily I could honestly answer that DH and I hadn't actually talked about our bottom dollar yet so we didn't know.

I don't really care about getting the best price for my stuff, I mostly just want it gone, but that question makes me want to scream and not even deal with the person at all

It's quite possibly one of the worst questions to ask. I'm not going to tell you what the lowest I'd take for it. So now how are you going to negotiate me down from this price that's supposed to be the lowest I can go?

I usually am either really firm with these people or don't respond to them at all. The people who try and get the lowest deals are also the people who flake out the most often.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1812 on: June 04, 2015, 12:31:10 PM »
I have a question for those of you selling some of your stuff: what's your go-to answer when someone asks "What's the lowest price you'll take?" I absolutely HATE that question and I get it with almost everything I put up for sale. Someone even asked me that about my house! Luckily I could honestly answer that DH and I hadn't actually talked about our bottom dollar yet so we didn't know.

I don't really care about getting the best price for my stuff, I mostly just want it gone, but that question makes me want to scream and not even deal with the person at all

I would just respond with a number I'm willing to accept but not my absolute lowest.  Say, I have an item listed for $60 but would let it go for $40, I would probably respond with $50.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1813 on: June 04, 2015, 01:08:15 PM »
I usually give a bit above my lowest number and stick to it. Once they ask that question and I give the number, its either take it or leave it. No more bargaining. Also, for stuff I put in craigslist or Facebook, I've usually given the list price as my lowest number. There is a reason I put the price up with my posting.

Nancy

« Reply #1814 on: June 04, 2015, 01:31:32 PM »
Well put, jordanread!

From Kondo's AMA:
"What about keeping objects that don't spark joy but that I don't want to spend money or time replacing right now and which are still helpful - for example a computer, a mattress, a toothbrush...

Those things are helping you every single day. So you should appreciate how they are contributing to your life. Change the relationship with those items, by appreciating their contributions to your life."
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 01:36:26 PM by Nancy »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1815 on: June 04, 2015, 01:50:14 PM »

It's quite possibly one of the worst questions to ask. I'm not going to tell you what the lowest I'd take for it. So now how are you going to negotiate me down from this price that's supposed to be the lowest I can go?

I usually am either really firm with these people or don't respond to them at all. The people who try and get the lowest deals are also the people who flake out the most often.

Never negotiate against yourself.  "Well, I was looking to get $X (price listed).  I'm willing to consider other offers, however, I thought was $X reasonable based on [facts - age, condition of item, interest...]." 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1816 on: June 04, 2015, 01:51:22 PM »
Well put, jordanread!

From Kondo's AMA:
"What about keeping objects that don't spark joy but that I don't want to spend money or time replacing right now and which are still helpful - for example a computer, a mattress, a toothbrush...

Those things are helping you every single day. So you should appreciate how they are contributing to your life. Change the relationship with those items, by appreciating their contributions to your life."
Thanks for letting me know there was an AMA.  https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2u7yet/i_am_marie_kondo_international_tidying_expert_and/

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1817 on: June 04, 2015, 02:09:53 PM »

Never negotiate against yourself.  "Well, I was looking to get $X (price listed).  I'm willing to consider other offers, however, I thought was $X reasonable based on [facts - age, condition of item, interest...]."
Oooh, I like this one, thanks! I never wanted to give out an amount so I usually do something along the lines of "I don't know, what's the most you're willing to offer?"
Once I (as light heartedly as I could through text) said "I really hate that question. Make me an offer and I'll let you know if it's too low" and she replied "I really hate making offers" and didn't make one (luckily I got full price for the item a couple of days later)

Happy to help.  Took a negotiating class a while back and learned a lot, but the best takeaway was simply to just try negotiating and practice everywhere.

If they push you, you can even be honest.  "This is awkward for me because I already put my offer on the table and I don't want to negotiate against myself.  What's the highest amount you would pay?"

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1818 on: June 04, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »

I say to those types " make me an offer. "
If it sounds good to me, sold. If not , the haggling begins.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1819 on: June 04, 2015, 02:14:44 PM »

I say to those types " make me an offer. "
If it sounds good to me, sold. If not , the haggling begins.

& sometimes I want to hold a price firm . but usu will price something slightly higher to make around the desired amount .

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1820 on: June 04, 2015, 07:20:12 PM »
Not the typical decluttering, but I decluttered my phone contact list this week. Just because I need someone's number for that project in uni, does NOT mean I need it forever.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1821 on: June 05, 2015, 04:06:33 AM »
I was momentarily annoyed by my decluttering last night when I went to find something that used to live 'out' on a windowsill and it wasn't there. I glanced in the logical cupboard, and could see it wasn't there. Looked in the next logical cupboard - there it is!

It took all of 20 seconds to locate and proved that stuff does not need to live out in the open for me to know where it is. And my windowsill does look lovely all empty and clean.

Also, I was amazed that there was lots of empty space in the second place I looked - I don't even remember what used to be in there!

(I forgot to get rid of the extra washcloths though, must remember to do that tonight).

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1822 on: June 05, 2015, 06:03:37 AM »
I got rid of two glass candle holders yesterday.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #1823 on: June 05, 2015, 07:27:06 AM »
i love playing "the minimalism game" where you get rid of one thing on day 1, two on day 2, all the way up to 30 on day 30.
'get rid of' could be sell, donate, give away, trash, etc.

it's a really painless way to unload 500+ items!

anything counts - a rubber band, a receipt, a bed. :)

i've played it three times (the two months before i moved last october and once again this march.)
figured i'd share, since a) i'm new, and b) it IS june 2nd, so not too late to start...

I did The Minimalist Game in May 2014 with two friends. 
It was great & we had so much fun sending each other pictures of what we got rid of.
Since then, I literally have gotten rid of 80% of my junk.
Getting rid of that junk has helped pay off all my face punch debt & pay for new replacement windows in cash.
Those two guys & their game transformed my life & led me to MMM.
Very cool you did it too (and are doing now).  I could use another round.
I sold a Home Theater System that had been set up in 2 years (no TV or cable) & a AC last Friday. $150 into EF.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1824 on: June 05, 2015, 09:06:42 AM »
I went through a ton of my sewing supplies last night and got rid of several bags of junk - weird bits of fabric, crappy thread that people have given to me that's unusable in my machine, patterns I'll never make or made and disliked. It's great - now that it's been pared down to a manageable level, it's way easier to focus on some of the projects I want to do since I know exactly what I have and don't have. I cut out a shirt pattern last night and will sew it today. More fabric gone!

Also my old giant blender that was starting to leak, replaced with a small modern one that's easy to clean.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1825 on: June 06, 2015, 12:00:12 AM »
Hung out with my grandma today and we found 4 bags of books and magazines to donate:) . she still has lots, but progress for sure
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:55:59 AM by riverffashion »

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1826 on: June 06, 2015, 09:28:32 AM »
I went through a ton of my sewing supplies last night and got rid of several bags of junk - weird bits of fabric, crappy thread that people have given to me that's unusable in my machine, patterns I'll never make or made and disliked. It's great - now that it's been pared down to a manageable level, it's way easier to focus on some of the projects I want to do since I know exactly what I have and don't have. I cut out a shirt pattern last night and will sew it today. More fabric gone!

Also my old giant blender that was starting to leak, replaced with a small modern one that's easy to clean.

I've also been through my stash again. Realised some of my jersey scraps were the perfect size / weight for underwear (sorry, TMI, but yes, I made my own undies!), so I will cut those out today. Also found a piece of fabric which was left over and is the perfect thing to test a new pattern on. It only fitted on the fabric by reducing the seam allowances, but that makes it even better because I will truly only have little scrappy scraps left (and 5/8th is excessive anyway IMO). I have a lovely piece of viscose challis for the final run but wanted to test the fit first.

And I just hand-rolled a piece of scrap silk into a scarf, so that is one gift for someone sorted! I usually dislike handsewing, but I found it super relaxing.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1827 on: June 06, 2015, 12:52:43 PM »
I had to go to the mall with friends. And fought the urge to not buy anything..... And succeeded! Usually I buy something during sales. But today I just didn't even though I was sorely tempted. I was thinking where I'll use each item that tempted me and couldn't come up with a good answer. I'm surprised and happy about my mindset now. Can't wait to clear more from my home and look for the change in mindset.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1828 on: June 06, 2015, 03:52:19 PM »
I finally got the energy to start tackling the piles of paperwork last night. I found all my pay stubs since 2006, visa bills from cards I no longer own, and utility bills from houses I no longer live in! I threw out a lot, and since I don't have a shredder I started a little fire in my fire pit this morning and burned all the ones that should be shredded. :)

Feels great. I hope I can keep the motivation and use it to tackle paperwork: part 2.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1829 on: June 07, 2015, 05:54:06 AM »
Mom had a broken serger (specialty sewing machine) at her house more than ten years with intention of taking to the shop.  I moved it here 9 months ago.  This weekend I fixed it.  Guilt ridden clutter became a useful tool.

roadtrippers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1830 on: June 07, 2015, 06:50:53 AM »
Hi all--
I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. I cleared out 2 garbage bags of clothes from my closet to bring to Savers today. Still a long way to go, but it's a start!

I haven't read all 38 pages of this thread(!) but I wonder if Moustachians are familiar with itsdeductible. It's an offshoot of Turbotax where you can enter your deductions all year long and then import them into TT if you use it (no product kickback for me in this endorsement). I love it because it gives me a value for clothes WAY beyond what I would have estimated, and sometimes even more than what I paid originally (ie a camisole in very good condition is worth 13.00 donated). Knowing that I will get a tax writeoff for my stuff takes away some of the remorse over buying it in the first place. Hope this helps someone!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1831 on: June 07, 2015, 07:45:09 AM »
Hi all--
I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. I cleared out 2 garbage bags of clothes from my closet to bring to Savers today. Still a long way to go, but it's a start!

I haven't read all 38 pages of this thread(!) but I wonder if Moustachians are familiar with itsdeductible. It's an offshoot of Turbotax where you can enter your deductions all year long and then import them into TT if you use it (no product kickback for me in this endorsement). I love it because it gives me a value for clothes WAY beyond what I would have estimated, and sometimes even more than what I paid originally (ie a camisole in very good condition is worth 13.00 donated). Knowing that I will get a tax writeoff for my stuff takes away some of the remorse over buying it in the first place. Hope this helps someone!

Thank u so much for the recommendation! I will check it out now. Sounds much more convenient than added up all my receipts at the end of the year- o my

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1832 on: June 07, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »
Inline skates and old bike helmet went to Goodwill today.  Tried the skates on ebay a few times but no bites.  It's one of those things that the tax deduction it almost worth as much as what I'd make selling them.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1833 on: June 07, 2015, 06:55:59 PM »
Cleaned out our book collection using the KonMari Method.  We still have way too many books, but we donated over 50 books today.  We also cleared out an entire bookshelf!  The bookshelf has already been disassembled. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1834 on: June 07, 2015, 09:57:24 PM »
Cleaned out our book collection using the KonMari Method.  We still have way too many books, but we donated over 50 books today.  We also cleared out an entire bookshelf!  The bookshelf has already been disassembled.

Excellent progress!

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #1835 on: June 08, 2015, 12:58:42 AM »
I found two packages of diapers that are too small for our baby now and put them on craigslist for half the price. We are still thinking abou having a second one but im not keeping the diapers around for that long. We also moved the baby bed downstairs as she moved into her own room last weekend. So much more space now!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1836 on: June 08, 2015, 01:12:42 AM »
I threw out some old information documents (about a health condition that I have). I have 3 nail polishes that I will give away at work tomorrow. We also gave some cat toys to a kitten rescue group because our cats had never played with those particular toys.

I really need to do some filing (and associated culling of paper) but have been running a fever and didn't feel up to it.

Cookie

« Reply #1837 on: June 08, 2015, 03:21:55 AM »
Today I got rid of random toiletries we can't use because of sensitive skin, a cutting board, a sweater, and a whiteboard. Tomorrow I will go through my crafting box. I plan to donate most of it.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1838 on: June 08, 2015, 03:33:34 AM »
Got rid of a small shopping bag of "stuff" over the weekend. Even though the quantity was small it feels like a win because it was in my sentimental box that I rarely open so anything I can do to reduce the size is good. When I moved house I chucked a lot of "useful" but not sentimental stuff in there. Needless to say very little of it has seen the light of day since I moved a year ago so it was good to send some of it away. I have also given away a bread maker (rarely used as the bread doesn't freeze well and I live at alone) to my mum to replace hers that broke. So I saved her money and reclaimed about an eigth of my tiny kitchen cupboard space back. I also sorted the bathroom cupboards to identify what I already have and tossed some out of date medication :-)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1839 on: June 08, 2015, 03:53:17 AM »
Attended a nice cycling event on saturday, and got the inevitable goody bag.
Some nice items in it, but some I know I will never use.

Put those items on a local giveaway facebook group immediately, they will be picked up tonight. Good riddance!

To do next time: refuse the goody bag.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1840 on: June 08, 2015, 05:13:19 AM »
Attended a nice cycling event on saturday, and got the inevitable goody bag.
Some nice items in it, but some I know I will never use.

Put those items on a local giveaway facebook group immediately, they will be picked up tonight. Good riddance!

To do next time: refuse the goody bag.

I find it hard to refuse free stuff... but then I feel guilty for getting rid of it when it's useless.  I did decline a carrier bag for something I bought earlier that would easily fit in my handbag. Baby steps!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1841 on: June 08, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »
Acquired several free books- to be donated of course immediately after reading. Heavy reader here

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1842 on: June 08, 2015, 01:23:27 PM »
Acquired several free books- to be donated of course immediately after reading. Heavy reader here

My parents had (and still have) a vast home library; I wanted one when I grew up.  Plus, growing up in the countryside, miles from the nearest library and images like this

and this

really ingrained in me that I need to be surrounded by books everywhere, as a means of self-sufficiency.  I'm still struggling with what should be my rules for the books.

So far this has been a good rule for me: If I'm treating the books as if they are museum treasures, and not reading them, they have to go.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1843 on: June 08, 2015, 01:27:47 PM »
So far this has been a good rule for me: If I'm treating the books as if they are museum treasures, and not reading them, they have to go.

Love the visuals :)

I agree that's a good rule, except w/r/t one book - an 1800s copy of a Grimm's fairytales I own from my grandfather.  Not worthy of selling (as I did actually read it ~age 16-20 when I got it from my grandfather and despite my extreme care, the pages fell apart), but sufficient sentiment that I will keep it!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1844 on: June 08, 2015, 02:30:09 PM »
Threw out a bagful of various "stuff" found in my bathroom cabinets that I was holding on to for some reason.  Eyelash curler that hasn't been used in at least 7 years, anyone?  How about 10 year old skin toner?  Or that temporary hair color my DD bought several years ago that I thought I would try (haven't colored my hair in almost 5 years...)???  And this was the second pass through these cabinets and drawers after a purge a couple of months ago.  It's almost as if some stuff becomes invisible after sitting there for such a long time - I gloss over it when I open the cabinet.  I really need to KonMari these drawers and the cabinet.  Take everything out and pick up each item and decide if I still need it.  Maybe tonight.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1845 on: June 08, 2015, 02:31:46 PM »
Threw out a bagful of various "stuff" found in my bathroom cabinets that I was holding on to for some reason.  Eyelash curler that hasn't been used in at least 7 years, anyone?  How about 10 year old skin toner?  Or that temporary hair color my DD bought several years ago that I thought I would try (haven't colored my hair in almost 5 years...)???  And this was the second pass through these cabinets and drawers after a purge a couple of months ago.  It's almost as if some stuff becomes invisible after sitting there for such a long time - I gloss over it when I open the cabinet.  I really need to KonMari these drawers and the cabinet.  Take everything out and pick up each item and decide if I still need it.  Maybe tonight.
Good luck with the drawers and cabinet!

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #1846 on: June 08, 2015, 04:12:02 PM »
For the last 6 years my job (social worker) has had a very casual dress code, but I've held on to some office clothes from my corporate days.

For the last 5 weeks I've been on a secondment where more formal clothing is required, and I've learnt that a) I have enough clothes in my regular wardrobe to put together a nice office look short term, b) I have no desire to move back into an office role c) most of the clothes I had put aside either no longer fit well or aren't my style.

So, out they go! Including my only suit.

We also participated in the all-town garage sale last weekend and made some cash to put towards our fruit trees. Still need to take the leftovers to the thrift store though :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nancy

« Reply #1847 on: June 09, 2015, 04:36:38 AM »
Zizi, I definitely think items don invisibility cloaks during clean ups. It's always the strangest items too.

Nice work, goodlife! I like to think that when I RE I'll burn my office clothes in a FIRE pit. Pretty sure I'll wash, fold, and deliver them to Goodwill, but it's a nice thought. 

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #1848 on: June 09, 2015, 06:37:38 AM »
I have two packages of diapers that are too small for my daughter. Listed them for half the retail price on the local craigslist and people ask if they can pick them up but then dont respond anymore. Im frustrated right now as one woman emailed me five times now asking for different times when I was clear that Im working during the day.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1849 on: June 09, 2015, 07:15:09 AM »
Did another sweep through the bathroom cabinets last night.  Threw out a few more items and gathered things that can be used up  like half empty bottles of shampoo or body wash.  These I put in places where I will use them.  I am feeling much better even though I still kept some questionable things that probably should be thrown out eventually.

Also started purging papers this morning while I was transferring some files to a new computer.

Question: how long do I need to hold on to these types of papers:
- confirmation of final student loan payoff from over 10 years ago
- purchase and sale paperwork for a house (bought in 2003 sold in 2012)
- information relating to a 401k that I rolled over to an IRA 5 years ago
- car accident paperwork that ended up in a lawsuit (settled by the insurance co) more than 10 years ago

I've been keeping them in case questions arise relating to them but it seems that at some point they should be thrown out?