Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851584 times)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #800 on: November 11, 2014, 08:13:59 AM »
Wife and I have been struggling with stuff lately. Specifically, the kids' mounds upon mounds of stuff they don't pick up. I'm personally sick of it (as is she) but when I suggest just getting rid of stuff until they can manage, she gets very defensive about taking their "stuff" away.

I'm personally of the thought that they're spoiled (mostly by grandparents) and they could use to do without. We have plenty of things for them to play with, it won't hurt my feelings to get rid of 3 GARBAGE BAGS of stuffed animals for my girls and a WHOLE BOOKSHELF of toys my teenage son doesn't play with any more.

Ugh. I could just scream. She's constantly going on about how cluttered the house is and how she never stops cleaning, but she won't do what it takes to fix the problem!

I need an "Easy" button.
Why not pack them away and see if they notice.  If they don't notice, offer to find a consignment shop and trade them in and say any profits, they can buy more toys with? 

Nancy

« Reply #801 on: November 11, 2014, 09:46:34 AM »
From the raptitude post:
There’s this mild but always-present feeling that something is unresolved, because we only leave things lying around under the pretense that they’re only going to be there temporarily. But the resolution never comes, because the homeless objects have no place to go. I don’t want to beat this point to death but it’s unbelievable what a huge mental weight is released when there are no more “fish out of water” like this.

I totally feel like this about my clutter. I keep stuff because I intend to do something with it, which turns into a vague but persistent to do pile. I really don't have a lot of stuff or clutter, but it weighs on me nonetheless. If I get rid of stuff without repurposing it into something useful, I feel really wasteful. Also, when I do repurpose stuff, I get a lot of use out of it. Maybe I need to label everything with a project deadline or donate date. Anyone else have this issue?

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #802 on: November 11, 2014, 12:41:23 PM »
wintersun, for wrapping on any occasion, I've seen people use nothing at all, or only comic strips from the newspaper, or only butchers paper(the ribbon makes it festive) or only furushiki cloth (which is multipurpose).

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #803 on: November 11, 2014, 12:58:10 PM »
Nancy, yes. I'm learning when I'm really into a new hobby (and will be with it regularly for a while) and when I'm just craving a project temporarily. Once I discover it's the latter, I don't beat myself up about it.

It's like pushing back the plate at the table. You're satisfied; you have all you want from it. Even if others would have continued, you've had enough.
It's time to stop and take away the plate.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #804 on: November 11, 2014, 05:45:27 PM »
Wife and I have been struggling with stuff lately. Specifically, the kids' mounds upon mounds of stuff they don't pick up. I'm personally sick of it (as is she) but when I suggest just getting rid of stuff until they can manage, she gets very defensive about taking their "stuff" away.

I'm personally of the thought that they're spoiled (mostly by grandparents) and they could use to do without. We have plenty of things for them to play with, it won't hurt my feelings to get rid of 3 GARBAGE BAGS of stuffed animals for my girls and a WHOLE BOOKSHELF of toys my teenage son doesn't play with any more.

Ugh. I could just scream. She's constantly going on about how cluttered the house is and how she never stops cleaning, but she won't do what it takes to fix the problem!

I need an "Easy" button.
If you don't teach your kids how to get rid of stuff now, they will grow up to not be able to get rid of stuff.  If you have a teenage son, he's more than old enough to go through his things and give you a few boxes that he doesn't want anymore.  Heck, anyone over the age of 6 should be able to manage that with prompting from a parent. 

I think that it is so much better (for most kids) to go through the process themselves and learn how to make decisions on what to keep and what to get rid of.

Nancy

« Reply #805 on: November 11, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »
Thanks, CK! That's a really good way to look at it. I've had my fill. Time to let go.

lumosma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #806 on: November 13, 2014, 09:00:13 PM »
I am really enjoying reading through these posts and being inspired, yet again, to declutter.  Mustachianism prompted my hubby and I to sell our house and move to a much smaller town house last fall when the second child went off to college. Prior to that I had decluttered a lot, and we sold/donated probably 40% of our stuff when we did that.  So freeing! But there's more to get rid of! 

I'm really trying to not buy stuff, its crazy how the clutter basically comes from stores.  Ugh.

I'll toss in a go-to book author to motivate for decluttering:  Don Aslett.  He is a gift!

Cookie

« Reply #807 on: November 14, 2014, 12:33:14 AM »
I decided to challenge myself to get rid of 30 items. Even though within the past 6 months I have gotten rid of half of my clothes and donated 5 suitcases full of stuff, I still feel like I can get rid of more. So far I only have 24 items on my list. So in attempts to find more things to get rid of I am reading minimalism blogs.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #808 on: November 14, 2014, 05:29:17 AM »

I need an "Easy" button.
If you don't teach your kids how to get rid of stuff now, they will grow up to not be able to get rid of stuff.  If you have a teenage son, he's more than old enough to go through his things and give you a few boxes that he doesn't want anymore.  Heck, anyone over the age of 6 should be able to manage that with prompting from a parent. 

I think that it is so much better (for most kids) to go through the process themselves and learn how to make decisions on what to keep and what to get rid of.

Fun side story: in the days before I could drive myself to Goodwill I was always carrying piles of things to my mom to take to Goodwill because the minimalist streak is ingrained.  I found out last year that she just squirreled them away in the attic . . . .   

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #809 on: November 14, 2014, 06:35:20 AM »

I need an "Easy" button.

Fun side story: in the days before I could drive myself to Goodwill I was always carrying piles of things to my mom to take to Goodwill because the minimalist streak is ingrained.  I found out last year that she just squirreled them away in the attic . . . .   
Oh no!  And now when she passes away many years from now you'll have to get rid of that crap *again*!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #810 on: November 14, 2014, 12:10:28 PM »
I'm sitting with my foot elevated from surgery a week ago, but am still reading and feeling motivated to declutter again! Cheering you all on from the side lines! Go Team!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #811 on: November 14, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »

Haha!  I give my stuff to my MIL who takes pics, notes (for documentation) and then donates it for me.  I should check her attic...  But it's actually been great, doing this has prompted her to start going through her stuff, which means less for us eventually.  And maybe she'll find she doesn't need the 5 bedroom house for just her and she can downsize to a condo as we've suggested.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #812 on: November 14, 2014, 05:29:11 PM »

I need an "Easy" button.

Ugh!! My mom did the very same thing when I went through all my stuff after college and before moving out of state in the mid 80s. Turns out she's had it all this time.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #813 on: November 14, 2014, 06:42:16 PM »

I need an "Easy" button.

Ugh!! My mom did the very same thing when I went through all my stuff after college and before moving out of state in the mid 80s. Turns out she's had it all this time.

I have to admit though, it's better than the alternative in some cases though!  My dad came back from his first year at the USCoast Guard academy to find his mom got rid of *everything* he had left at home - including all of his civilian clothes he couldn't wear as a first year, but could in the summer or as he gained seniority!

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #814 on: November 20, 2014, 06:24:37 AM »
November 20th is Use Less Stuff Day.

I discovered this when reading the Ava Gardner Museum Facebook page:

"Today is USE LESS STUFF DAY! Before Ava passed away, she arranged for an auction to take place at Sotheby's- which inevitably happened after her death in 1990. Over time, Ava preferred to have less clutter and more cash for the quality of her lifestyle...."

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #815 on: November 20, 2014, 06:31:46 AM »
We've got a move coming up in about three months, so I've doubled my normal decluttering instincts to prep for the big move. I don't want to pay to move a single thing that isn't of value to me. So far I've sold about $500 worth of stuff on CL and have quite a bit more to either sell, give away or trash.

This thread continues to serve as great motivation.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #816 on: November 20, 2014, 07:32:08 AM »
The Goodwill box that's been sitting in the living room has made it to its destination, along with several bags of clothes that SO got from a friend that didn't fit.  No new incoming!

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #817 on: November 21, 2014, 01:44:48 PM »
Kids did major minimizing today, will post pics tonight if possible!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #818 on: November 21, 2014, 02:12:33 PM »
Would love to see photos, stickman!

My adult daughter took six garbage bags ... SIX ... full of stuff out of my 2 littlest kids room (they share). AMAZING! It looks so much better and they seem very content. Also, must be so nice for them to come into a clean room, have a clean place to play, and be able to clean it up so easily.

Cookie

« Reply #819 on: November 22, 2014, 04:21:42 PM »
I've been reading several minimalist blogs for inspiration and it has helped me clean out a lot of stuff. No more keeping stuff "just in case" I'll need it in the next couple years, because I know I won't. My home still has a lot of stuff, but this is a good first step!

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #820 on: November 22, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »
Can you make the stuff slowly disappear on its own or would it be missed?

I wish I would have asked before cleaning...I probably could have gotten at least a few things out of there. Unfortunately, she is becoming aware of most of the stuff now. I might have to be sneaky about some of it, but the main opportunity has passed. I might just have to wait until we move and 'lose' stuff.

I know making it 'disappear' can cause huge problems in a relationship, but a small step may be to move things to some location you use for things you want to get rid of someday.  Box up certain things and hide them away... if the spouse doesn't ask where it is for a year or two or three, make them disappear then, or bring up getting rid of it. 

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #821 on: November 23, 2014, 04:38:07 PM »
♬ 5 pieces of clothing ♬
♬ 4 stuffed grocery bags of junk and papers ♬
♬ 3 gym bags....♬
♬ 2 Bowling Balls...♬  <(customized w/name(s))
♬ 1....handmade rug♬

Closet is clean once again. I'm actually on a mission to find something, but am thinking its at work. Hope and pray as it contains much needed info.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #822 on: November 23, 2014, 05:36:42 PM »
Yesterday I came home to find my husband cleaning up and decluttering "his" room in the basement during his annual shift from football season to ski season.  I got all inspired and added a couple tubs worth of fabric that I honestly will never get around to doing anything with, to my donate pile.  Also finally decided to release an antique clawfoot wingback chair that I bought at a thrift store and reupholstered when I was in college.  I love it, but it SO doesn't go with anything else in our house and had been relegated to the guest room in the basement where it really was just in the way. Need to plug into some podcasts and get back at it tonight.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #823 on: November 23, 2014, 08:09:57 PM »
donated a grocery bag full of assorted kid clothes and baby towels

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #824 on: November 24, 2014, 09:41:54 PM »
I'm really focusing my efforts on the stuff that takes time to declutter. What I realized is that in a move, it's easy to throw stuff I don't care about or that isn't worth much into a box to donate to Goodwill. But stuff that I would prefer to resell, or sentimental stuff that takes some time or effort to go through, there just isn't time to deal with it during a move so I end up taking it with me to deal with at another date.

That date is now. We are planning to sell the house and move to an apartment in a couple of years so this is the time to tackle the long-ish project of dealing with the stuff that takes time to deal with. I'm selling stuff on eBay and Craigslist bit by bit, digitizing my decades-old photos, and vowing not to buy much in the way of clothes or shoes so that my wardrobe will gradually get a little bit smaller as things wear out but aren't replaced. For the other stuff, we have been taking a few boxes of household miscellany to Goodwill every other week or so.

One thing I find a little funny and a little annoying is that the eBay project has actually led to more clutter because I am saving boxes and bubble envelopes when things come into the house (at this point mostly consumables like toiletries and cat food that's cheaper to buy online) to reuse them for shipping. I've at least managed to organize the boxes into a little shipping center on some wire shelving, but I'm looking forward to being mostly done with the eBay sales and being able to recycle boxes again (and maybe sell the shelving!).

Malaprop Cocktail, our guest room really resembles your remark! I am in the throes of putting up over 100 eBay auctions and shipping items as they sell. The cat doesn't know what to make of it and I think there will be a big sigh of relief all around when this project is over. ;-)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:05:03 PM by Practical Magic »

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #825 on: November 24, 2014, 10:06:08 PM »
Just got done with another wave of purging.  Made a tidy sum (actually just regained a tiny portion of what I paid for this stuff when I first bought it). 

I get rid of stuff, so that I have less stuff, and more time for my family, and more room to play.  But, during the purges, I'm usually pretty busy and after a bit I get tired of being so busy selling stuff.  It's nice to be done and enjoying the space I made in my house.  The goal is to have just the 'right amount' of things that we use all the time, and the flexibility to move to a smaller place without any pain.  Also, staring at the things I paid so much for and am only getting a little bit of money for is depressing, so it's nice to have it all gone and have cash instead. 

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #826 on: November 24, 2014, 11:16:51 PM »
I finally started decluttering, selling off for the first time some stuff I had laying around that I didn't use anymore (one electric guitar, one logitech videogame racing wheel) . I did get around 50% of my purchasing value, for which I'm very happy for, and such a liberating feeling of emptiness in the 1 m^2 that were occupied by these dust-collecting items.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience and convince me!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #827 on: November 25, 2014, 06:04:31 AM »
Sold 2 twin platform beds, replaced with twin bunk beds.  More storage room underneath, plus now they are in one room.

This enabled us to convert the other room over entirely to an office/library.

Also, we are cash positive, paid $50 for the bunk beds, got $75 for the pair of platform beds.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #828 on: November 25, 2014, 09:46:29 AM »
My two youngest daughters cleared out their massive toy collection. My wife, fighting it to the last, finally agreed to let all of it go after days of "but what if they want to play with it again?"

These two pics are about half of what they actually purged. There was also a huge duffle bag of Barbie stuff, and a few more boxes of trash.

My 9-year-old said "With less toys, I feel better. My room is nice to be in again. I want to keep it this way." This, coming from a child who had a 2-hour meltdown when we threw away her favorite styrofoam packing peanut! No, not making that up.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

jordanread

« Reply #829 on: November 25, 2014, 12:03:07 PM »
Way to go everyone. On my home front, I decided to stop focusing on the "Getting Rid of" part, and focus more on the clutter. Since the GF gets super-defensive any time I bring it up, it just wasn't worth it. It's one of the few actual arguments we've had in our 6+ years together. So in the interest of peace, I sent her over that raptitude post regarding everything in it's place. I made it clear that I didn't want her to get rid of anything, I just want a home for everything. I don't think she was stoked about the entire thing, but throw in a couple of bribes regarding my behavior (I have to stop drinking for a few months), and she might just get on board. In a couple of weeks (probably after her family leaves after xmas) I'll shoot over the Stuff vs. Things article and hope it sticks. Otherwise it'll be plan B...burning down the house and start from scratch (or losing stuff in the move within the next couple of years).

So whoever initially posted those links, much appreciated. I've found a lot of good stuff out of that little rabbit hole. The rest of you are kicking ass, though. Keep up the great work!!

Firefly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #830 on: November 28, 2014, 08:48:31 PM »
We are moving in a month and I am taking this opportunity to do some serious de-cluttering. I have a headache just thinking about packing and unpacking all this stuff :). Feeling really good today - I spent the whole day today going through the basement storage (where we've been keeping most of the just in case things and kids' toys). Happy to report that I threw away 2 huge trash bags of stuff, donated another and sold boxes and boxes of misc. kid's stuff on local yard sale groups. It's amazing what people would buy! Not sure how popular those groups in other areas - in Boston area, there are TONS of local Facebook Yard Sale groups with lots of traffic. Highly recommend it!

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #831 on: November 29, 2014, 03:03:42 PM »
Rid of 2 duffle bags, 1 picture + frame, and a rope light that just looked worn out.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #832 on: December 02, 2014, 11:45:18 AM »
This week or weekend we'll be moving our daughter into the second bedroom.  Which means getting rid of the mattress in there.  The cat's been using it as a scratching post and it's saggy and old, so no selling it unfortunately.  Still, it's something we're getting rid of.
Also, I finished the last little bit of a baby blanket that's been in the closet for years, found a full-size light summer duvet (we don't have any full size beds), and will add those items to a box of baby clothes I couldn't sell and donate them all to the local homeless shelter.
I also gave away an old sports helmet which I haven't used in years, threw away some broken lacrosse sticks that also haven't been used in years (because they're broken....) and figured out how to get rid of some kitchen items.  We're planning to move in May, right around the time the local U gets out.  I'm going to box up some of the kitchen items we won't be bringing (some pots, a pan, a few dishes) and sell them on Craigslist as a "kitchen starter kit".  It'll make some poor college student moving out of the dorms really happy to get all that on the cheap, and we'll have less stuff to move.  Win-win!
Still need to finish up a few more craft projects to donate or give to friends, and we have several boxes we don't even know the contents of which will need to be gone through.  But, progress!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #833 on: December 02, 2014, 11:54:04 AM »
Our third bread machine finally crapped on the weekend, so into the garbage it went! We didn't actually buy any of the three - all gifts, mostly from people who used it once and decided not to use it twice. I have a big chunk of nice counter space free in the kitchen now that looks lovely. And now I have to stop being so lazy and do my bread by hand. Yay!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #834 on: December 03, 2014, 07:55:14 AM »
I think this December is going to be a challenge month where we get rid of one thing every day. Should be fun, and get us started on getting rid of some of our crazy excess amount of stuff.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #835 on: December 03, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »
Yesterday there was a silent auction at work for a social club fundraiser. I put in a few bids at the beginning, trying to support the cause, and also thinking I wouldn't win them, but ended up going home with 6 things for $7.50. My rule is that for everything I bring home I need to get rid of 2 things, plus my usual 1 thing per day. I found 13 things to sell, donate, throw out easily, but was on such a roll I ended up finding 8 more things to get rid of.

This is going to get very addicting and I'm super excited. :D

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #836 on: December 03, 2014, 11:00:03 AM »
Someone gave me the idea last year (we downsized and moved from a 2,500 sf house to a 1,200 sf condo) when we moved about this same time) to hang all my clothes on the rods with the hanger backwards (hooked to the front).  As you wear the clothes, you rehang them the regular way.  At the end of the year, anything still on a backwards hanger has to go because you haven't used it in a year!  I checked the other day and only have a few things left hanging backwards... less than a month to go and they're gone if I haven't worn them!  I thought this was a great way to easily know what to get rid of.  :)

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #837 on: December 03, 2014, 03:59:09 PM »
I'm going to box up some of the kitchen items we won't be bringing (some pots, a pan, a few dishes) and sell them on Craigslist as a "kitchen starter kit".  It'll make some poor college student moving out of the dorms really happy to get all that on the cheap, and we'll have less stuff to move.  Win-win!

This is a great idea to put together a "kitchen starter kit"! I did the same not long ago for a friend getting his first place away from the parents. We had so many duplicates that had somehow accumulated that we were able to get him started plus donate even more extras. I do not buy new kitchen stuff - but many of my family and friends are constant upgraders and the still great cast-offs end up coming our way to the point that we also have excess and just keep the best.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #838 on: December 04, 2014, 05:20:55 AM »
3 bags of clothes out of the house today: donated.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #839 on: December 04, 2014, 11:40:49 AM »
I'm going to box up some of the kitchen items we won't be bringing (some pots, a pan, a few dishes) and sell them on Craigslist as a "kitchen starter kit".  It'll make some poor college student moving out of the dorms really happy to get all that on the cheap, and we'll have less stuff to move.  Win-win!

This is a great idea to put together a "kitchen starter kit"! I did the same not long ago for a friend getting his first place away from the parents. We had so many duplicates that had somehow accumulated that we were able to get him started plus donate even more extras. I do not buy new kitchen stuff - but many of my family and friends are constant upgraders and the still great cast-offs end up coming our way to the point that we also have excess and just keep the best.

That's awesome!  Pretty much all of the stuff we're getting rid of were our own cheap starter pots and pans, things like that.  We've since gotten nicer ones, either as gifts for our wedding or as Christmas gifts.
I'm starting to get really excited for our move, if only because we're being forced to de-clutter and get rid of stuff we no longer use!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #840 on: December 04, 2014, 12:00:17 PM »
There does seem to be some sort of virus involved in decluttering.  Like many of you, once I started to declutter my DH suddenly joined in.  Recently he is talking about getting rid of his dad's books that he never looks at…wow! Before this his office was full of stuff and the floor was only visible in the middle.  Now he even wants to empty the top of his bedside table which is making me do twirls of joy, I like a minimalist bedroom.

Somehow having less STUFF is making it easier for us to do home repairs and to maintain things more regularly, who would have thunk it?
I think it is related to feeling clearer and less weighed down.

I have a close friend who was really depressed in September and could not bear to be at home, particularly in her bedroom.  I suggested decluttering, especially under her bed.  She went home and got that done immediately and now has hired a declutter expert who is helping her do one room at a time.  She is feeling great and in part it is due to feeling less weighed down.

This week I am actually feeling like I have a porsche behind me revving its engine.  My husband is so into the cleaning out that he has gotten a teenager to help him and wants to tackle the garage spaces.  Now I am the one who is saying Wait!  I feel like he will throw out things that I would like to keep.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #841 on: December 05, 2014, 07:00:14 AM »

That's awesome! Pretty much all of the stuff we're getting rid of were our own cheap starter pots and pans, things like that. We've since gotten nicer ones, either as gifts for our wedding or as Christmas gifts.
I'm starting to get really excited for our move, if only because we're being forced to de-clutter and get rid of stuff we no longer use!
When I was starting out, I would have been grateful for that.

jordanread

« Reply #842 on: December 05, 2014, 10:04:30 AM »
There does seem to be some sort of virus involved in decluttering.  Like many of you, once I started to declutter my DH suddenly joined in.  Recently he is talking about getting rid of his dad's books that he never looks at…wow! Before this his office was full of stuff and the floor was only visible in the middle.  Now he even wants to empty the top of his bedside table which is making me do twirls of joy, I like a minimalist bedroom.

Somehow having less STUFF is making it easier for us to do home repairs and to maintain things more regularly, who would have thunk it?
I think it is related to feeling clearer and less weighed down.

Yeah, I was a bit impressed by how it turned out on my end. My GF still gets super defensive, and absolutely refuses to de-clutter or have a conversation about it. Turns into an argument every time. That being said, every time I get more of my stuff ready to throw away, cleared out, or ready to go to goodwill, some other stuff magically appears, and some of the rooms are getting a bit cleaner outside of what I do, and things start to have a permanent place where they are put away. Maybe it is like a virus. :-)

It's too bad my GF hates de-cluttering. ;-)

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #843 on: December 05, 2014, 12:47:33 PM »
Yeah, I was a bit impressed by how it turned out on my end. My GF still gets super defensive, and absolutely refuses to de-clutter or have a conversation about it. Turns into an argument every time. That being said, every time I get more of my stuff ready to throw away, cleared out, or ready to go to goodwill, some other stuff magically appears, and some of the rooms are getting a bit cleaner outside of what I do, and things start to have a permanent place where they are put away. Maybe it is like a virus. :-)

Sounds like she doesn't hate it; she just hates agreeing to it with you. So she comes around when she's not feeling pressured. Win-win. :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #844 on: December 05, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »
Went through a garbage bag of teddy bears that my adult daughter had collected out of her little siblings bedrooms. Only kept out 3 for sentimental value. I should really start a box for each child with a few special things from their childhood. Does anyone else do this?

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #845 on: December 05, 2014, 03:30:51 PM »
I am minimalist with my de-cluttering, having gotten rid of about 3 things so far :)

Today got rid of a bike saddle. Finally admitted it's a good seat but not quite right. I have another saddle, so no replacement buying needed. It's pretty banged up, so I didn't bother selling or giving it but I set it on top of the street trash can, sometimes stuff finds a taker that way.

jordanread

« Reply #846 on: December 05, 2014, 05:10:54 PM »

Sounds like she doesn't hate it; she just hates agreeing to it with you. So she comes around when she's not feeling pressured. Win-win. :)

Yeah. I'm realizing that's kind of the deal. Seems useless to me. I either need to figure out how to fake argue so she gets the point and I don't get worked up, or find a new GF.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #847 on: December 05, 2014, 05:16:41 PM »

That's awesome! Pretty much all of the stuff we're getting rid of were our own cheap starter pots and pans, things like that. We've since gotten nicer ones, either as gifts for our wedding or as Christmas gifts.
When I was starting out, I would have been grateful for that.

Me too, which is part of what made me think of it.  :)
One of the great things about my area, too, is the thrifty nature of many of the people.  There's stuff we could never sell, but we can put it in the "free" section of the transfer station and someone will snap it up!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #848 on: December 05, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »
Sold my juicer today!  One less thing in the house, and the $140 will go towards 3.1% of the remainder of my car loan.

Need to get the espresso machine listed next.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #849 on: December 06, 2014, 03:55:43 AM »
A small car load of various items to the family store today. Trying to book a council cleanup, but the online booking system is playing up.