Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851351 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #350 on: February 16, 2014, 06:08:22 PM »
Just sold a weight lifting bench on Craigslist.  Woot!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #351 on: February 16, 2014, 07:19:46 PM »
I spontaneously decluttered my closet today by adopting the "if I haven't worn it in the past year I'm getting rid of it" rule.

The girlfriend had a "you should keep this" veto she used a few times but otherwise I basically cut my wardrobe in half and filled a couple trash bags I'll bring to good will.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #352 on: February 17, 2014, 12:19:08 PM »
Tried on all my pants and shorts, and go rid of anything too big or way too small. Turns out I had more pants that fit than I thought, but they were buried beneath piles of too small pants. So cleared out about half my pants. Took a big garbage bag over to goodwill this morning.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #353 on: February 18, 2014, 12:27:21 AM »
Im moving in a week, so its hardcore decluttering around here right now.

I have 4 kitchen garbage bags and 2 boxes of items to donate waiting to go. Im making trips almost everytime I go out. Every week I bring a box of stuff to my homeschool meetup for the free table.

Im struggling with items that my mother gave me or that I got from her house after she passed away. Some of them I really dont like or use, but its still hard to get rid of them.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #354 on: February 18, 2014, 08:37:56 AM »
Im struggling with items that my mother gave me or that I got from her house after she passed away. Some of them I really dont like or use, but its still hard to get rid of them.
One thing that has helped me in the past is thinking of the items as a group instead of considering each individual item.  Since they are all sentimental because they remind you of a specific person or place, I was able to say 'Okay do I really need 10 (or however many) things to remind me of that one time? Or does that one item I really love serve the same purpose of these other items.' It helped me to let go of some of the pieces that I really didn't care about other than their place of origin.  I definitely struggle with sentimental items, you just have to find the sweet spot.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #355 on: February 18, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »
Right now, I'm struggling with tons of kids' junk (for lack of a better word) all over the house. My two youngest daughters save everything they find/make/get. Crafts, notes, scraps of paper, trinkets, empty boxes, tissue paper, holy freaking cow. I'm debating on whether to make them have an imaginary house fire and just start over. It's that bad.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #356 on: February 19, 2014, 06:30:43 AM »
Awesome goal! Good luck. Knowing you haven't seen it for years must help.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #357 on: February 22, 2014, 07:05:20 AM »
22/2/14   
  • One box emptied & contents moved to it's correct home in a drawer.
  • One box of blankets to be donated next time I'm passing the dogs home. 
  • Four(!) manky bed pillows replaced with the better/newer ones found in boxes.  The old ones are reserved for a project that I'm planning, to upholster a blanket box and turn it into seating/storage in our entry hall.  If I don't need all of them they will go to the dogs home too.  Although they might be too gross even to donate, perhaps I should do it under cover of darkness, in case anyone recognises me!
The remaining (9) boxes are getting harder, since most of them contain my husband's old climbing gear/photographs/university books/general 'stuff'.  All of it is too old for selling or donating, but too precious (to him) to dump.   It's his problem to sort out, really, but I'm the one that wants the boxes gone from the bedroom.  His solution would be to move them to a different room, which: No.

MinimalistMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #358 on: February 22, 2014, 01:45:53 PM »
Well I 've started decluttering again. It must be a New Year thing. Bags of clothes, a few boxes of miscellaneous household items...and finally have started on my study:  oh dear....paper nightmare. But now I'm started its gonna get better.

Happy - Thanks for this! Just the motivation I need to make TODAY the start of eliminating the paper dragon! Many, many years ago, I actually lost most of my material possessions in a house fire. This may have triggered an inclination for living as a minimalist much of my adult life --even prior to it becoming a "movement" :-) A few years ago, I chose to live on my own and found it easier to downsize even more. When I eventually relocated, everything packed nicely in my vehicle!

Still have few possessions. My areas of clutter have been played out through doing more grocery shopping than is required and in the accumulation of way-too-much paper. I have one shelf of books that can be passed on, and approximately four (4) "storage" boxes I want to sort through. Likely much of it can be discarded (receipts from long-ago abandoned investments, bank records, cancelled checks, etc.)

For some folks, this may seem like a small volume of stuff to clear out. After all, the clutter only spans one cabinet and one-half of a closet. Yet, it seriously weighs on my energy every time I see or think about it. These books and piles of paper represent a lot of poor choices and years of indecision.

Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences through this thread. I am encouraged!

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #359 on: February 22, 2014, 01:55:59 PM »
You know, I remember a few years ago reading a blog (my efforts at googling it have failed) where the writer basically said the easiest way she could get out of the clutter in her life was to get rid of everything, including the sentimental stuff. And years later, if at some point she thought "What did I ever do with that such-and-such?" she'd just think "Oh yeah, we lost that in the house fire" and move on with life. It was a way to mentally separate those things from herself as a person... they weren't her identity... and she was able to deeply minimize and move on with life with no regrets.

Sometimes (quite often) I think about getting rid of everything I have and just starting over after an "imaginary house fire." I probably won't ever do it, but it makes me realize what a stronghold material possessions can take in your life.

This is interesting. i've had hoarding tendencies my entire live. and i love to shop. but about 5 years ago our basement flooded. not just a few puddles, but a full 30 inches deep water pouring in flood. it was sewer water, black water. it took a professional cleaning company to decontaminate (i was pregnant and had an 18 month old, so no way I was going to touch that). we had just moved in about 6 months prior, so the basement was full of boxes yet to be unpacked, extra furniture, bedding, books, christmas tree and so on. we lost it all. my highschool year books, wedding photos, baby clothes. i was sad, for a little while. but i have to say it was SO freeing. and i didn't feel bad about the missing things, i'd just think "oh yeah, lost that in the flood." it was almost as if i needed an excuse to let the stuff go and i could no take on that responsibility myself. (i know, i'm crazy like that). and don't get me wrong, there was a lot of useful and meaningful stuff in that basement, things i could have sold (ie. all my med school text books, i was an M3) or used (baby clothes!) or enjoyed (wedding pictures and year books) but overall i would still say i'm glad we had the flood. now we live in a bigger house (and our family has doubled in size) and its still a constant chore to declutter and keep organized, but i don't seem to have the emotional draw that i used to. i'm much more willing to give things away (goodwill at least once a month), as i know someoen else can use them vs being destroyed (be it physically or just outdated) hanging out in my basement or garage.

and i say that taking a break from loading the truck for a run to goodwill. i still struggle with the thoughst of "i could SELL that" and have a little cash, but i know the time it would take is never worth the money that comes it. I count it as gaining time back in my day and my life. priceless. :)

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #360 on: February 23, 2014, 05:41:30 AM »
What's in Your Digital Junk Drawer?

My biggest problem is having lots of bookmarks (and sub-bookmarks) to websites that I haven't visited in months or years. I hoard those thinking I won't remember it when I need it. But I haven't needed them.

I rationalize it saying it's not taking up that much physical space. But it's a pain to see all those bookmarks.

I'm getting rid of most of them today and start again.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #361 on: February 23, 2014, 07:42:32 AM »
We're back at it again. Got rid of a big old monitor, a couple board games, the bread machine, half a box of books, and some old written stuff for school. I need to do some ripping of CDs into ISOs and then a bunch of old video game boxes will be gone too. Then I think we're doing another round of clothes (some to get put away for the season, others to go away for good) and seeing if there's any basic kitchen stuff down in the basement that we own in duplicate or triplicate from combining households. Yay owning less stuff!

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #362 on: February 23, 2014, 07:39:28 PM »
Cleaned out some of the garage and now actually have room to park one car in the garage.  We still have too many kids toys and other things (snow blower and power tools/work bench) taking up the other side.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #363 on: February 27, 2014, 10:26:45 PM »
Just want to chime in with an update now that I've moved!

I didn't end up finding new homes for the assorted things I listed before. Some I moved with me (craft supplies), and others I just left in my apartment like a jerk for the apartment to deal with (coffee machine without carafe, toaster oven that's seen better days) :S  I did this after my Korean friend recommended it, so I guess it's not as big of a deal to leave things behind and uncleaned here. Interestingly enough, in Korea people moving out don't have to clean their places at all before leaving! I remember scrubbing my place while boxes were being moved out in the States. This is much more relaxing ^___^

Unfortunately, it means sometimes you end up moving INTO a messy apartment. I was pretty lucky in that my school cleaned mine first. Of course, it wasn't cleaned to *my* standards ;-D

Now that I'm in my new place, I have some storage challenges in my kitchen. I need to get a cabinet or shelving unit so that my appliances aren't on the floor and my food items are more organized and not shoved in random cabinets. Fortunately, most of this will vanish into my belly at some point.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #364 on: February 28, 2014, 01:08:22 AM »
Good luck in your new place, nikki! It seems pretty good from what you've said in your journal. :)

I am now also seriously thinking about how much stuff I want to move interstate with me. I can purchase 40kgs of check-in luggage for $54. At first, 40kgs seem like a lot, but things can add up so quickly. I'll be selling, giving away or getting rid of all furniture, closer to the moving date. But that still leaves clothes, kitchenware, small appliances, books, laptop. I have absolutely no idea how much my things will weigh when all added up. And suitcases alone will weigh several kg, I think...

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #365 on: March 02, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »
I am also doing the pre-move clean-out although my move is many months away. This is the first time in my post-college life that I have ever had more than 6 weeks notice of a move so I am determined to minimize the last-minute scramble as much as possible.  One thing I am very happy about is that I decided to start cleaning out closets for Goodwill, and had a difficult time filling up a box. You have to understand that before the last move I had innumerable trips to the food pantry, dumping station, electronics recycling, Goodwill, and several free piles on the sidewalk--that was after 1.5 years longer than I have been here, in a smaller apartment. I have gotten much better being choosy about what comes in and moving unwanted stuff out than I used to be.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #366 on: March 04, 2014, 04:12:56 AM »
2/3/14
  • Fail, 1 box only partially emptied.
  • Success, but I did find a pair of earrings I've been missing for the last 2.5 years!
  • And Hub moved a plastic storage box out of the dining room into the workshop.

I guess taken in whole, that's a moderate success... "could try harder"

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #367 on: March 04, 2014, 08:04:44 AM »
Ah, MarcherLady, mild success is better than none.  You could try checking UFYH every once in a while, and sub in 'pull 5 things out of a box and deal with them' for a challenge.

From December on, since I listed a bunch more books and things on Amazon, I've made anywhere from 20$ to 180$ a month.  Huge encouragement to keep selling my stuff - if I'm not using it, someone else should in exchange for money.  Win-win!

Luck better Skill

• Bristles
« Reply #368 on: March 04, 2014, 02:27:55 PM »
oh dear....paper nightmare

So much of my paper nightmare (mostly stored under my bed) is financial stuff: bank statements and share transaction records etc. too old to need to be kept any longer for tax purposes, but as I still use the same bank account and broker, I feel I should shred this stuff rather than just chuck it in the recycling bin.

I noticed a "hand shredder" (1 page at a time, that would be very tedious, I think) for $99 and an "up to 50 sheets" at a time one for $159 at OfficeWorks this morning when I went in to do photocopying. It was the size as much as the cost that put me off: wherever would I store that monster? It wouldn't fit under the bed and would certainly take up more space than even a very large stack of papers.

Do other people here bother to shred such stuff?

Look for a paper shredding event by a bank or village.  They bring in industrial size shredders.  We had two boxes done last year.  Felt great!

I have a fireplace for paper stuff.  Works better for me than a shredder.  Before current house used a charcoal grill.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #369 on: March 09, 2014, 05:22:30 AM »
Donated more clothing today. Yay! If only selling is as easy...
I've also sorted some of my other clothing into a "rag box" which I will use for household cleaning.

MinimalistMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #370 on: March 09, 2014, 02:40:33 PM »
Do other people here bother to shred such stuff?

Look for a paper shredding event by a bank or village.  They bring in industrial size shredders.  We had two boxes done last year.  Felt great!

I have a fireplace for paper stuff.  Works better for me than a shredder.  Before current house used a charcoal grill.

Thank you, LuckBetterStill !!!!! Yesterday, I was knee-deep in the midst of a huge paper clearing at home (and it continues). Everything else in my environment is clutter-free and minimally furnished -- with the exception of these paper demons which usually live -- unsorted -- within paper bags in the closet.

After culling through a lot of "why-am-I-keeping-these" documents, I realized I wasn't comfortable with just placing them in recycling/garbage. . . even with my personal information removed. Also, there is another bag filled with discards that will soon be shred-worthy.

I really appreciate this idea and will give it a go - Thanks!

MOD EDIT: fixed quote tags
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:32:30 PM by Russ »

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #371 on: March 09, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »
I've been gone for quite a few months and am trying to catch up, which is a bigger challenge than I thought that it would be, but we're still purging!

It feels great. I'm starting to get really cut throat about which clothes get to continue living here and which have to go. We've been on a slow purge mission for the past two years or so, and it has been so great to lighten our loads.

My husband's recording studio recently flooded from a burst pipe (amazingly, all equipment was spared, but the building is pretty much a total loss inside). He had to move out in a hurry, and then had a big sale to get rid of a ton of excess gear that he really does not need. He's been clinging to that stuff for a long time, and I was worried that it would be hard for him emotionally. But it was not, and soon after the sale a really perfect opportunity opened up for him, so he's now in a much nicer, safer studio with all of his equipment fully insured.

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
« Reply #372 on: March 09, 2014, 03:19:27 PM »
For the past two months I have been selling off many of my unessential possessions that take up room and
could be freed up for money better spent on wealth generating assets.
I have found to it feel very liberating and helps to mentally declutter as well just by knowing that I have less "stuff"

I just posted a similar topic to this buy my main question surrounds- have you had any major regrets in items you sold while in
a selling/ declutter frenzy. Thread here-https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/am-i-taking-this-too-far-(-selling-my-old-'favorites')/

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #373 on: March 09, 2014, 07:14:51 PM »
DW is pretty much all set for the consignment sale drop off this Tuesday.   I wish we were getting rid of more, but at least it is something.  I actually kind of hate these sales.  They are only twice a year (she takes things occasionally to a consignment shop other times), but will store things.  I'd much rather donate  stuff and get it out of the house quicker.  She has done well at the sales, so there is that.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #374 on: March 09, 2014, 08:43:23 PM »
I have never wanted, regretted, etc anything I have gotten rid of. This even includes jewelry that I sold for about 1/3 of what it was worth.  I don't get rid of family heirlooms usually but you need to limit how many you take-spread among family members that want it is my motto.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #375 on: March 10, 2014, 08:36:05 AM »
There have been a few items I've wanted afterwards (a few years later), but I can't recall any specifically at the moment, so I'm going to say that means that no, it didn't really make an impact.

My mom just brought a slew of boxes for me from her house this weekend.  Sigh.  We just bought a house and moved, and I haven't even finished unpacking the boxes I moved and now I've got this wall of boxes piling up.  Anyways, went through one box and saved out about 15% of it (my high school diploma and a few awards).  The AP course notes, tape deck holder, some weird diarama etc though are going out the door.  (On a slightly disturbing note, in 4th grade, my G&T teacher had us color diagrams of the body to learn bones.  In 11th grade AP Bio, my teacher had us color diagrams of the body to help us learn body parts, cells parts etc.  You would think that somewhere in there, you'd move on from coloring...)

I tried burning some papers but it created a lot of ash I thought (as compared to the logs), so I may go back to recycling instead.

MrCash

• Stubble
    • OurCashHouse
« Reply #376 on: March 10, 2014, 08:38:13 AM »
You know, I remember a few years ago reading a blog (my efforts at googling it have failed) where the writer basically said the easiest way she could get out of the clutter in her life was to get rid of everything, including the sentimental stuff. And years later, if at some point she thought "What did I ever do with that such-and-such?" she'd just think "Oh yeah, we lost that in the house fire" and move on with life. It was a way to mentally separate those things from herself as a person... they weren't her identity... and she was able to deeply minimize and move on with life with no regrets.

Sometimes (quite often) I think about getting rid of everything I have and just starting over after an "imaginary house fire." I probably won't ever do it, but it makes me realize what a stronghold material possessions can take in your life.

The sentimental stuff is definitely the hardest part for me.  Even arts and crafts that I made in Kindergarten.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #377 on: March 11, 2014, 08:00:34 AM »
Try Kijiji at kijiji.ca

I need to get on this, too! My situation isn't too bad, more annoying than anything else. If anyone has recommendations for places other than Amazon and Ebay to sell things in Canada, I would love to here them! Mostly books, CDs and DVDs, I got rid of electronics, etc. before moving.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #378 on: March 16, 2014, 01:28:13 PM »
On first reading the unclutter posts I thought I did not fall into the clutter category.  I do not have stacks of stuff in the bedroom or excess things in the kitchen. My kitchen cupboards are orderly and neat with nothing unnecessary.   I read with interest the posts from others about garbage bags of clothes and crammed kitchen cupboards.  Perhaps even with a little fascination.

And then the penny dropped…I keep my bedroom and kitchen clean and do not have loads of certain types of clutter ...but I have tons of paper clutter, hidden in a closet, stacked in the dining room, stacked on shelves:  I have tons of craft supplies that almost fill a room:  my garage and cellar were a mess and unnavigable…I have mountains of unprepared broken stuff weighing me down.

Denial is powerful.  How could I have thought I did not have clutter? How did I not notice the heaviness of so much mess?

So, thanks to you all I have completely decluttered one room of craft supplies by buying new shelving, sending several carloads to the dump and marking several types of materials to be used up and not replaced. One bag went to the Goodwill.  I feel so pleased I could skyrocket heavenwards and do loop-de-loops.  I want to proudly show the room off.  My DH is shocked at the change.  I even have a clean table on which to work!  I found so many duplicate supplies which I had bought because I could not find the existing ones.

Thank-you all so much! Thanks for sharing your inspiring stories and continued focus.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #379 on: March 16, 2014, 01:38:34 PM »
Thank you for sharing your story, wintersun! That's really great work.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #380 on: March 16, 2014, 02:07:40 PM »
Thank-you Limeandpepper,  I have followed your example of making rags out of old fabric and now have the rags in a plastic box to discourage bugs. Somehow, standing at the kitchen counter cutting rags seems like a nice break from dealing with facing a room of mess.

Further to my post above, I have also, with lots of help, emptied the guest room of clutter, you can actually walk into the space and sit on the empty bed. 

The exercise equipment is accessible now and the excess furniture and boxes and junk are gone.  It felt so good to donate the love seat and get it OUT. The floor has been cleaned for the first time in many many months and the rug is vacuumed.  It feels so light and spacious!  The curtains which were in a pile are now airing ready to be ironed.

One issue I have is dealing with the excess that I take out but needs to be sorted.  I now have two sparkling spaces but a third room is the repository for some of the stuff.  Getting down to sorting, tossing and scanning paper is a bit daunting still.  I have a closet full of paper where some of the craft supplies will live and the next step is emptying it so that the craft supplies can go in there. Meanwhile some of them are in the hall in a long line.

So, next for me…
...empty the closet and put the craft supplies in there in decent boxes
…label all the craft boxes
…deal with the paper
…repair some furniture
…get a storage piece of furniture for my home office

And, maintain the spaces that were so crammed with mess. I think that my major issue is being too overwhelmed at times to tidy as I go.  I am putting aside time each month on my calendar to check these now clean areas and looking to shift my habits.

Decluttering has involved some spending on storage boxes and shelving, mainly because I never organised any of this stuff initially.  Having it be accessible, sorted by type and soon labelled is going to be fantastic.  Until now I would have needed to lift and search several large unlabelled garbage bags and boxes trying to find something and it just was too much.

Having written that last paragraph I feel some lethargy so I will end by saying how delightful the guest room is, all sparkly and clear and clean!  I am so motivated by this whole MMM community, thank-you!

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #381 on: March 16, 2014, 02:42:32 PM »
Wintersun- sounds like you are making great, great progress!  Sometimes it feels like it gets worse before it really gets better while everything is still strewn about waiting to be sorted, etc. You will get there. And for now you can enjoy your guest room and craft room.  :)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #382 on: March 17, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »
Of the ~7 boxes mentioned above that my mom dropped off, we went through and took the contents of about 3 to the dump.  I also integrated the 2 boxes of books for now, but will go through them later to reread and figure which to donate.  Keeping one box of childhood memories.  Still have a box of papers to go...

I posted a box of binders on freecycle and had two people so far flake out on picking up, so I may have to take those to the dump as well.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #383 on: March 17, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »
DW is pretty much all set for the consignment sale drop off this Tuesday.   I wish we were getting rid of more, but at least it is something.  I actually kind of hate these sales.  They are only twice a year (she takes things occasionally to a consignment shop other times), but will store things.  I'd much rather donate  stuff and get it out of the house quicker.  She has done well at the sales, so there is that.

She came back with something like 25 out of 75 pieces of clothing, a baby tub, and an unopened game.  So, a large quantity was sold.  DW has a meeting with a consignment store Thursday for what was remaining (the tub will probably just get trashed).

I really need to get back to scanning in documents and shredding things again.  We also should go through our books again.

MrCash

• Stubble
    • OurCashHouse
« Reply #384 on: March 17, 2014, 11:29:49 AM »
Anyone know a good place to sell slightly used computer equipment?  (motherboard/cpu, ram, power supply, etc.)

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #385 on: March 17, 2014, 11:36:55 AM »
Anyone know a good place to sell slightly used computer equipment?  (motherboard/cpu, ram, power supply, etc.)

What kind of motherboard/cpu are you looking to sell? I need to replace one in a tower case.

LanceBurkhart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #386 on: March 17, 2014, 11:39:47 AM »
We turned a large, ugly file cabinet into a single folder and some cloud-stored PDFs with a Doxie (http://www.getdoxie.com/ ). The $100 we spent on the Doxie helped us fit into an apartment that is $525/mo less than our old one.

MrCash

• Stubble
    • OurCashHouse
« Reply #387 on: March 17, 2014, 12:07:58 PM »

What kind of motherboard/cpu are you looking to sell? I need to replace one in a tower case.

Here's the ad I put on craigslist:

Computer Equipment - MB, HD, Power supply, etc - $120
I'm selling several pieces of very gently used computer equipment including:
an 80GB Western Digital HD ($17)
a 600W CORSAIR Power Supply ($70)
a 770 ATX AMD Motherboard ($75)
a 2GB DDR3 stick of RAM ($18)
an AMD Sempron 140 Single-Core Processor ($38)
Subtotal = $218

All of the items are in excellent condition and I have the original packaging. If you buy all of them, I will sell them for $120 and I will throw in a free ANTEC 3-speed fan.

*Please note: The processor and the motherboard must be bought together.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #388 on: March 17, 2014, 12:39:51 PM »

Here's the ad I put on craigslist:

Computer Equipment - MB, HD, Power supply, etc - $120
I'm selling several pieces of very gently used computer equipment including:
an 80GB Western Digital HD ($17)
a 600W CORSAIR Power Supply ($70)
a 770 ATX AMD Motherboard ($75)
a 2GB DDR3 stick of RAM ($18)
an AMD Sempron 140 Single-Core Processor ($38)
Subtotal = $218

All of the items are in excellent condition and I have the original packaging. If you buy all of them, I will sell them for $120 and I will throw in a free ANTEC 3-speed fan.

*Please note: The processor and the motherboard must be bought together.

Let me think about it. I'll PM you if I'm interested. Thanks!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #389 on: March 17, 2014, 01:05:51 PM »
You may need to come down some on the PC hardware to move it. That stuff is ancient, and it looks like I could buy a new 770 motherboard for less than $60.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #390 on: March 20, 2014, 06:48:36 AM »
Thanks, Basenji. 
I've totally fallen off the wagon of de-cluttering in the last couple of weeks.  So - I'm holding myself accountable to do another box - tonight

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #391 on: March 20, 2014, 08:29:12 AM »
I'm looking about my house now for all the invisible stuff that makes me feel stressed and disorganized. For me, it's paper...OH! and my pantry full of food that should be eaten! Agh!

Yep!  Those are my big culprits too.  I know this, having just unpacked oodles of stuff in the move.  Sure i have a box of candles...but I have more than a box of those other stuff too!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #392 on: March 20, 2014, 08:43:37 AM »
I've been steadily decluttering for the past few years, it's bizarre how much stuff you can store "just in case" you need it for something.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #393 on: March 20, 2014, 01:58:42 PM »
Hey, I did it! I totally got off my bum and emptied another box. I whined about how much I didn't want to do it all the way through, and I picked one I knew would be easy, but I did it. And it's all thanks to you Mustachians in the computer judging me ;-)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #394 on: March 23, 2014, 08:37:34 PM »
Another fuckton of stuff to goodwill, and a bag of textbooks ready for HPB and ebay! Owning less stuff is rad.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #395 on: March 24, 2014, 09:03:07 AM »
AH!  I was doing so well in January and February, but I fell off the wagon.  I still have a lot of purging to do.  I'm going to start back...today. 

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #396 on: March 24, 2014, 01:16:32 PM »
I sold my first two things on eBay -- a stash of Chuck E. Cheese tokens that we've had sitting around forever, since the last birthday party my son attended there.  Who would have thought that people would pay good $$$ for those!?

Calculating shipping for eBay items is something I am still trying to figure out.  I took a loss on one item and got it just right on the other.  As soon as I get more comfortable with the shipping aspect I'll be listing a lot more often.

Lots of clutter to clear out!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #397 on: March 24, 2014, 01:25:09 PM »
    Weekend progress:
    • Sold a door on craiglist for $25.  Ignored my mother-in-law's comments about how the buyer was getting "such a great deal" because it was "custom-made" (narrow space) and focused happy thoughts on how I was $25 richer and a bit more clutter free immediately (rather than in a few months if I needed to keep reposting to sell higher).
    • Dropped a box of binders off at the dump.  I tried to give away via freecycle, but gave up after two flake outs.  (It really is true you get better commitment if people have to pay for something than if they get it for free.)
    • Dropped off a bag of childhood memorabilia odds and ends at the dump, recently returned to me.
    • Recyled another two bags of paper.

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #398 on: March 24, 2014, 09:52:31 PM »
So far this week I've sold $145 of stuff (3 items) after fees and shipping costs. I'm selling an old chair for $30 tomorrow, and I have about another $130 of stuff (a backpack and an old radio) that I plan to sell soon. After that maybe I'll get rid of those shelves and see how much other stuff I can give away. I can't think of much else to sell, though.

I've been steadily decluttering for the past few years, it's bizarre how much stuff you can store "just in case" you need it for something.
I keep a lot of "just in case" stuff for two reasons. First, a lot of that stuff would be relatively difficult/expensive to obtain if I did need it, versus keeping it in case I need it. The second reason is that I hate to throw away anything, so I always try to find someone who can use something. I make so little trash that I use produce bags as trash bags. I've had people tell me there's no way they could live with a trash can that small, but I honestly can't comprehend what they need to throw away that's bigger than that.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #399 on: March 25, 2014, 05:07:27 AM »

I keep a lot of "just in case" stuff for two reasons. First, a lot of that stuff would be relatively difficult/expensive to obtain if I did need it, versus keeping it in case I need it. The second reason is that I hate to throw away anything, so I always try to find someone who can use something. I make so little trash that I use produce bags as trash bags. I've had people tell me there's no way they could live with a trash can that small, but I honestly can't comprehend what they need to throw away that's bigger than that.

It probably is a good idea to have a backup for some stuff and we do have an extra vacuum cleaner in case one breaks. We have a very small house though so we can't keep a lot of stuff stored and I'm not going pay for storage either. :)