Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851513 times)

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5600 on: January 02, 2018, 02:19:31 PM »

In her defence, she did have two young kids on school holidays and a terminally ill mother in and out of hospital every week, so the time off just didn't go as she had planned.

But I think maybe she has realised there is no perfect time or perfect way to declutter - she just has to do what she can, when she can.

I think she could benefit from some directed, small tasks that work towards decluttering.  No need for a notebook, pen, any organizing.  Here's my first step that seems to always work.

1) Approach an area to declutter with a paper shopping bag.
2) Find any "throw away" paper.  Put it in the bag.
3) Put the bag into paper recycling when full.

The end.

You might think that paper is small and won't put a dent into anything.  I can tell you, going through my grandmother's house when she moved and then her next house when she passed that paper makes up a tremendous percentage of clutter.  If you start simply throwing out unwanted paper, it absolutely will make a difference.  And it's something that can be interrupted any time and restarted any time.  No organizing is needed.  In my own house, I do this and since it's winter, my wood furnace is always burning away.  The bags get tossed in there to get rid of them.  I've tossed in at least 25 bags in the last 3 years......just from clutter....not regular recycling.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #5601 on: January 02, 2018, 09:08:21 PM »
-Organized the cutlery drawer. It was such a mess and now when I grab a fork, I feel so relived.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5602 on: January 02, 2018, 09:59:32 PM »
Sold a brand new, in box Le Creuset kettle on kijiji - I’d won it at a baby shower (strange, I know) and was not able to return it for store credit. Like MMM says, if you wouldn’t buy it, you should sell it. Lovely though it was, I prefer an electric kettle, and someone who wanted it got a great deal.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5603 on: January 03, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »
After two major efforts of Rosy's time limited decluttering challenges, we finally have some of the house in a shape where I feel like we can begin decluttering it. I've been avoiding this thread because it was too much! We moved several years ago and immediately dumped everything where it fell and got to work. But I spent 2 hours today looking for some paint pens and discovered tons of stuff that my family has been stuffing in drawers. Ugh! I did manage to get all our loose paper in one room sorted...filed what we need to keep and recycled the rest.

Today I sorted through a small drawer and threw out some dried erasers and pens. We have so many pens and pencils that we may never need to buy another writing utensil again....

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #5604 on: January 04, 2018, 10:24:40 PM »
Took 2 boxes to the donation centre today, and told them to keep the rubbermaid bin I bought less than a year ago since we don't need it to store anything and I have always hated the handles.  Later I bumped into our landlord who lives upstairs and mentioned that we could probably empty our locked storage room before lease renewal time and if they are interested in changing terms to give us a discount that room could be theirs again.  She said, 'That would be great! Our storage is all overflowing.'  I didn't say, yeah I've definitely noticed that in all the shared spaces.  So now I have a deadline to deal with the last few boxes and hopefully will save $ for each month of the new lease.  It's funny - in our shared laundry room we each have a side for storage.  Theirs has slowly become stacked to the ceiling, then spread out in 3 directions and sprouted up another stack close to the furnace.  Our side holds an apartment freezer, a pile of empty boxes that I keep filling with donate items to take, and a few boxes of recycling and papers to burn.  If I could dispose of those papers today then all of the items in the locked room would easily fit in that space in a neatly stacked arrangement. I'm just pretty sure we don't need to keep all that crap so I'm going to keep sorting and donating till the lease comes up. I also want them to realize how valuable that space is to them as their stacks keep building, to hopefully get the biggest discount (I'm hoping for $15-$25 per month since it's a little room, but locks).

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5605 on: January 05, 2018, 03:55:53 AM »
Congratulations, Astatine!  Sorting the filing cabinets is on my tentative list for this weekend.

Didn't see this earlier. Thanks! I go through my papers every so often, but this felt like a big advance on reducing the total volume of very old papers.

We've been doing more culling. DH is gradually going through his very extensive CD collection and culling to donate to a particular charity that does big fundraisers selling books, CDs etc.

We're also getting rid of:
- a big fold up chair (not very practical, unsurprisingly was a gift)
- a clock radio (modern but very large)
- some hair gel

I've also started a new bag of clothes to take to the next clothes swap. Hopefully one will happen in the next few months. (I don't want to donate my clothes to charity - my city is drowning in excess secondhand goods)

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5606 on: January 05, 2018, 08:59:08 AM »
I started a box of paperwork that needs to be put in the filing cabinet. It's in an unheated area so will have to wait for Spring. DD commented yesterday that she likes our house much better now that we have more open space. :-)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5607 on: January 05, 2018, 02:22:00 PM »
A small bundle of dresses and skirts that I'll never wear will be going to the charity shop tomorrow, and my visiting daughter has relieved me of some winter clothing including ski gloves bought many years ago for one of her step-siblings and a coat I've been contemplating giving away for years.

Having a houseful of people has highlighted the fact that my husband has been steadily decluttering the cupboard in which we keep spare bath towels into his bike rags basket and I may need to do some recluttering. I don't think DH will ever learn to tell the difference between one piece of towelling and another and they'll all end up as bike rags sooner rather than later, so the replacement towels will be charity shop purchases.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5608 on: January 05, 2018, 02:22:48 PM »
-Got rid of one lipgloss (used it up - buying no more lipgloss/chapstick until current stash is gone)
-Did my filing. Sorted docs appropriately, shredded & recycled the rest
-Found another item to put on eBay

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5609 on: January 05, 2018, 02:29:44 PM »
Piles of junk out of the garage. Rusty hibachi unused for 10+ years, parts for things we no longer own, punctured tubes that cannot be patched (in a carefully labeled bag!), etc., etc., etc.

A sculpture that I didn't display because it reminded me (and DH) of a previous bad relationship, but was also too beautiful to throw away. So it sat in the garage for YEARS. Finally, I dragged it out--it weighed a ton--and SMASHED it with a sledgehammer.
GONE!!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5610 on: January 05, 2018, 02:36:52 PM »
Small things. I threw out the box where a iPad was delivered in. As we don't plan to sell the iPad I don't see the point of storing the box in a cupboard as my DH had done.

Threw away the old calender.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5611 on: January 05, 2018, 02:57:03 PM »
When we got married we didn't really want any gifts and asked people to donate money to charity. We thought we shoud make a list as well as there would always be people that will buy things and we didn't want random stuff. On the list were sets of wine glasses because we thought we should have matching sets... However, two unopened boxes now sit in our pantry. I feel so bad getting rid and I doubt I'll be able to sell them for what they are worth but realistically, I doubt we'll ever be hosting a shindig where 8 people drink champagne and if we do, I'll borrow some.
PS 95% of people ignored the request for donations and bought gifts. The only thing I really regret from the list are the various glasses that we got.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5612 on: January 05, 2018, 03:14:33 PM »
Does anyone remember how I had my first paid decluttering gig? It was this week and I said I'd report back..  Well it was good but a little disappointing - I thought it would be a bit more like extreme hoarders but their place is probably no more cluttered than mine :) I helped clear out about 1cubic metre van of stuff for charity and other giveaways but they'd done the bulk of the sorting before I got there.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5613 on: January 05, 2018, 03:26:42 PM »
A sculpture that I didn't display because it reminded me (and DH) of a previous bad relationship, but was also too beautiful to throw away. So it sat in the garage for YEARS. Finally, I dragged it out--it weighed a ton--and SMASHED it with a sledgehammer.
GONE!!!

haha! That was not how I was expecting that story to end. Well done! I bet that felt cathartic :)

Does anyone remember how I had my first paid decluttering gig? It was this week and I said I'd report back..  Well it was good but a little disappointing - I thought it would be a bit more like extreme hoarders but their place is probably no more cluttered than mine :) I helped clear out about 1cubic metre van of stuff for charity and other giveaways but they'd done the bulk of the sorting before I got there.

Oooh. Cool! Did you just help with lifting stuff in to their van? Or did you help with some of the 'do I keep? do I donate? do I throw this out?' decision making?

And maybe the biggest help to them was the deadline of you showing up. (maybe a bit like how some people who have a regular cleaner tidy up before the cleaner arrives?)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5614 on: January 05, 2018, 07:51:03 PM »

I can understand that.

A lot of us clear the easy clutter first.

It’s only after stripping back several layers that many of us get to the hard stuff, the clutter with emotional connections, and I think that would be easier with an objective second opinion.

Client: But ... they hung in my childhood bedroom for years!
You: They’re moth-eaten orange curtains. Time to go!

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5615 on: January 05, 2018, 11:13:12 PM »
The only thing I really regret from the list are the various glasses that we got.

Tell me about it! I got married really young and registered for things because that’s what you did and OF COURSE I thought I “needed” a dozen of each red wine, white wine, and fancy water glasses plus four champagne flutes as well. I think these were $20-$30 per glass at the time. Good grief, what a waste. I don’t even care for wine! And guess which wine glasses I use when we have guests (still pretty rarely)? A cheap set (that were a gift). The rest just sit there in the cabinet behind the glass doors, unused. So dumb. Here’s hoping smaller wine glasses come back into favour - maybe someone will want them. Glassware regrets...

This weekend begins the basement storage purge/reorganize, so I should have some positive progress to report by Sunday:)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #5616 on: January 06, 2018, 12:33:34 AM »
Small things. I threw out the box where a iPad was delivered in. As we don't plan to sell the iPad I don't see the point of storing the box in a cupboard as my DH had done.

Threw away the old calender.

@Linda_Norway - I go through this with my husband all the time. He wants to keep the boxes forEVER. I used to argue about it, but decided life was too short. I let him keep them for a while and then put them in the recycling once or twice a year.

He has difficulty letting go of things he sees as having use or utility. I have difficulty keeping things I see as clutter.  :-)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5617 on: January 06, 2018, 12:56:32 AM »

Oooh. Cool! Did you just help with lifting stuff in to their van? Or did you help with some of the 'do I keep? do I donate? do I throw this out?' decision making?

And maybe the biggest help to them was the deadline of you showing up. (maybe a bit like how some people who have a regular cleaner tidy up before the cleaner arrives?)

It was totally the deadline thing. Where I helped was saying "that can be recycled, that can go to Vinnie's, that's not good enough for Vinnie's but trust me people will have it if I list it for free on Facebook, I can shred those personal papers for you." It was all stuff that was sorted and was going but there was just a bit of hesitation about the where and how. I have a van so took it away, listed some stuff. She listed some clothes for sale at the end of Day 1, I just did the free stuff, in case it didn't go and needed to go to the tip. There are small amounts of sentimental stuff that's being kept but not at clutter levels. The husband is a bit more hoardy but no worse than mine. I think that he can be swayed (like mine) once you suggest that this t-shirt can be recycled into a rag, and this can be repurposed this way etc.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5618 on: January 06, 2018, 03:55:39 AM »
I have a question for all of you, aka asking for permission to get rid of the thing:

A year ago DH's aunt by marriage made a big song and dance about giving me a pearl necklace. She had given one to all of the women in that part of DH's family a similar necklace. I have no idea of the quality of the pearls, or even if they are pearls (I am clueless about jewelry). They came in a nice draw string bag, possibly made of silk. DH's aunt made it sound like this was a special expensive necklace (but she was a bit drunk at the time so who the hell knows) She'd been holding on to this necklace for several years that she'd bought specially for me (she had already long ago given the other necklaces to my SILs etc)

However, the lunch where I was given these pearls showed me that this aunt and her husband (DH's uncle, his dad's brother) have very different personal values to me. As in, I'm not sure I want to ever see either of them again (think transphobia vs me who is not cis-gendered).

I don't wear necklaces, ever. I wear my wedding ring and occasionally wear a bracelet made by a friend who loves me. A different friend suggested I could wear this pearl necklace doubled over as a bracelet. But it's been a year and I've never worn it.

Please tell me I can get rid of this necklace?

I am usually really good at getting rid of stuff. I am stuck on this one though. TIA

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5619 on: January 06, 2018, 05:14:02 AM »
Yep, get rid. I mean if you liked her and you didn't like the bracelet you might still wear it when you see her to make her happy but it sounds like you're not her fan so having it around would be a pain. If it is valuable or a family heirloom you could return it and say maybe another niece could get more wear out of it because you don't really wear jewellery.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #5620 on: January 06, 2018, 08:39:26 AM »
Today we decluttered a mouse.  I sure wish our garage door was mouse proof, but the last time we tried they chewed through the barrier I put up.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5621 on: January 06, 2018, 03:51:24 PM »
Today we decluttered a mouse.  I sure wish our garage door was mouse proof, but the last time we tried they chewed through the barrier I put up.

My cats would LOVE a mouse (a real one that is, I have plenty of toy ones). Too darn cold to go out, even if they were ok with cold. Arwen is getting antsy and picking on Sibley, which results in a fight, which makes me yell at them.

Adding a small pillow to the go away pile. It was given to me as a gift today, by someone who has hoarder tendencies and can't understand that I don't want crap. Especially since it's a needlepoint pillow. I can make my own needlepoint pillows, and they'll be much better quality than this thing!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5622 on: January 06, 2018, 05:31:15 PM »
Went through all of my workout clothes & drawers. Rolled all of my tank tops, sports bras & tshirts, so I can now easily see what I have. Found one shirt to donate, and two items to list on eBay. Organized my workout pants by: lounging around the house (super old), in the house workouts, and good for "in public" workouts. ;-)

I've listed two additional jackets on eBay as well. I went through a big Lululemon phase. Now I buy my workout gear from Costco, when I need it. The Lulu stuff sells well on eBay, so I'm getting rid of the remainder.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5623 on: January 06, 2018, 06:41:48 PM »
When we got married we didn't really want any gifts and asked people to donate money to charity. We thought we shoud make a list as well as there would always be people that will buy things and we didn't want random stuff. On the list were sets of wine glasses because we thought we should have matching sets... However, two unopened boxes now sit in our pantry. I feel so bad getting rid and I doubt I'll be able to sell them for what they are worth but realistically, I doubt we'll ever be hosting a shindig where 8 people drink champagne and if we do, I'll borrow some.
PS 95% of people ignored the request for donations and bought gifts. The only thing I really regret from the list are the various glasses that we got.

Update: I found THREE unopened boxes of glasses and one box with two unused glasses inside. Horrors! The unopened ones are now for sale. In the dishwasher are six mismatched wine glasses that I hope I can give away but I expect no-one will want eg branded tasting glasses from a wine festival.

An extra benefit of getting rid of this stuff - the time planning the wedding and just after was unfortunately really stressful due to work and family. Everything was rushed and I regret not being able to put the thought into things because of my stupid job (ex-job). It was a great party but I regret things like the wedding list (had to do it all quickly online) so I'm glad to get rid of things that remind me of that.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #5624 on: January 06, 2018, 09:33:59 PM »
Also squeaking in under the wire by taking a donation to charity yesterday (1box). Wouldn't you know it, today I ran across a pair of slippers that I don't like. Wish I had got those out of the house yesterday, grr. Time to start a new box, I guess.

Found a good size box to be the next donation box & put the slippers in right away!  Felt good.  Added a shirt & a cup.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5625 on: January 07, 2018, 12:51:48 AM »
Getting the wine boxes out of the pantry caused me to rearrange a few things and give away some cooler bags (free gifts) that were cluttering it up.

Then I was on a roll so I continued on to the linen cupboard. Folded everything neatly, downgraded a towel and two pillowcases to rags and threw out a bunch more gross pillowcases and a pilled duvet cover and a couple of ragged cushion covers. There is one duvet cover and pillowcase set that is surplus and good enough to give away but DH said no. It looks a lot neater in the cupboard.

THEN, I moved onto my wardrobe. I've listed a few things as freebies and if no-one wants them I'll send them to charity. I have a few things I need to wash as they are musty including two dresses that I will try and sell as they are quite nice. I'm having real trouble relegating a couple of old tees to the rag pile. They've served me well, one of them I love for the shape and style :( There are a few winter things I want to go but I'll have to wait a bit as today was Sydney's hottest day since 1939, a scorcher!!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5626 on: January 07, 2018, 12:47:02 PM »
Got rid of a blanket that was leaving red fuzz on everything, even after multiple washes.

Worked through the rest of our horseradish to help clear out the extra random condiments in our fridge. It won't be replaced. Need to figure out what to do with the hot sauces we don't like next. Seems a shame to waste them, but they're just sitting there.

Got rid of a stick blender that died a terrible death several months back. No idea why it was still in the drawer. We also kept a wooden tray from a gift given to us and are using it as a drawer organizer in that space now- hopefully isolating the "little stuff" in that drawer will mean fewer weird "kept the blender" instances like that one!

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #5627 on: January 07, 2018, 12:48:37 PM »
- Sold an unwanted Christmas gift on Craigslist -- made $30

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5628 on: January 07, 2018, 07:32:08 PM »
-Gave an unwanted Christmas gift to a friend who was thrilled to receive it
-Found another item to sell on eBay

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5629 on: January 07, 2018, 10:23:56 PM »

Update: I found THREE unopened boxes of glasses and one box with two unused glasses inside. Horrors! The unopened ones are now for sale. In the dishwasher are six mismatched wine glasses that I hope I can give away but I expect no-one will want eg branded tasting glasses from a wine festival.

An extra benefit of getting rid of this stuff - the time planning the wedding and just after was unfortunately really stressful due to work and family. Everything was rushed and I regret not being able to put the thought into things because of my stupid job (ex-job). It was a great party but I regret things like the wedding list (had to do it all quickly online) so I'm glad to get rid of things that remind me of that.
We got wine glasses (red, white, champagne, shot glasses and a few more sets of 6/8 each) for our wedding and I don't even drink! DH drinks out of his favorite glass (not in this pile). After three moves, I realized it was not worth all the effort and finally sold them all for $50. Someone got a great deal and I got them out the door.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5630 on: January 08, 2018, 07:23:09 AM »
-Found 3 more items to list on eBay

I received a promotional offer from eBay for 50 free listings in January. My goal is to use at least 20 of them. I have 8 things live so far, so more work to do.

SEAK

• Stubble
« Reply #5631 on: January 08, 2018, 11:17:38 AM »
Had a busy and satisfying weekend getting rid of clutter.

Sold unwanted Xmas presents: Longaberger basket and Essential Oil Diffuser.

Gave away for free: excess tree ornaments and stockings, craft rubber stamps, kids movies, and outgrown kids shoes. Today I'm mailing away my uncle's fleece that he left at our house two summers ago and returning some hockey gear.

Now what to do with the Amazon Echo we were gifted??

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5632 on: January 08, 2018, 11:40:38 AM »

Gave away for free: excess tree ornaments and stockings, craft rubber stamps, kids movies, and outgrown kids shoes. Today I'm mailing away my uncle's fleece that he left at our house two summers ago and returning some hockey gear.

Can you return the echo to a store that sells it for store credit?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5633 on: January 08, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »

Or, sell it on eBay/Craigslist?

SEAK

• Stubble
« Reply #5634 on: January 08, 2018, 11:53:40 AM »

Or, sell it on eBay/Craigslist?

Figure I can sell the Echo pretty quick on the local Facebook buy-sell-trade group. But wondering what to say when my brother in law asks how we like our Echo he gave us for Christmas?

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5635 on: January 08, 2018, 11:55:00 AM »

Please tell me I can get rid of this necklace?

I am usually really good at getting rid of stuff. I am stuck on this one though. TIA

If you don't want the people in your life, you don't need their gifts in your life, either. You have permission to get rid of it.
I like the idea of giving it to a niece or another relative who might like it. But you can just donate it, or throw it out the window if you prefer.
No obligation to keep any gifts, but especially gifts that remind you of people you don't have good feelings about!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5636 on: January 08, 2018, 11:57:38 AM »
I'm back from the holiday travels and more than ever motivated to get rid of stuff.  I stayed with my brother and SIL for two weeks - they are both packrats, especially my SIL.  I found their house suffocating and had to fight the urge to organize and declutter their stuff the whole time I was there :-)  My parents' apartment is even worse!  It was so refreshing to come home to my own blissfully uncluttered space. 

Since I have relocated the cat in anticipation of FIRE (she's staying with my brother temporarily until I relocate myself in a couple of months), I got rid of the cat's old litter box, the bucket I used for litter refills at Petco and an old blanket that the cat often slept on that became very ratty. 

I'm planning to go through the house this weekend to see what else I can get rid of.

jordanread

« Reply #5637 on: January 08, 2018, 12:07:55 PM »
wondering what to say when my brother in law asks how we like our Echo he gave us for Christmas?

"I installed it somewhere unobtrusive, and now can't find it. I can tell you that the voice commands don't work. Try! Maybe you'll figure out where it is."

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #5638 on: January 08, 2018, 02:07:42 PM »
I decided to make decluttering one of my goals for January. I'm starting with my bedroom, and I already reduced the number of storage boxes I need in there by three, and cleared half a bookshelf that had a bunch of magazines on it. I now have somebody coming to pick up a knee-high pile of New Scientist back issues in a couple of days time, and a whole bag of stuff to ebay.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5639 on: January 08, 2018, 10:53:11 PM »
Delivered 15 clothing/footwear/accessory items this morning to the local consignment seller that I mentioned earlier in the thread. First item sold this afternoon, for the full asking price, so it’s off to a great start. Have had a few serious inquiries from kijiji listings, so will hopefully shift a couple more items this week.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5640 on: January 08, 2018, 11:11:12 PM »
Re. Astatine's pearl necklace, I second Fresh Bread.  The motion passes and you can now let it go. :) Beside, by the time you go ahead and post on a public forum that you are thinking of getting rid of it, especially after such an extended time period, I think you know what you should do.  If you want to read more about getting rid of unwanted gifts, read Karen Kingston's Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui.  Even if you ignore the feng shui parts, Kingston does a good job of talking about the psychology of our stuff.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5641 on: January 09, 2018, 01:40:47 AM »
Thanks for all the replies about the pearl necklace.

:/ Turns out that if I'm actually at the point of asking about it on a forum, It's Complicated.

I have gotten rid of a shit ton of stuff over the years, including photos, diaries, millions of books, half my clothes etc so I should have know something was up if I had to ask about something I'm never going to wear.

It's a bit too upsetting to write about (and I'm at the point where I'm worried I'm gonna have bad nightmares tonight - like I said, It's Complicated). It's back in my little jewelry box for now and I'll have to deal with it later when the time is right.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5642 on: January 09, 2018, 01:59:15 PM »

:/ Turns out that if I'm actually at the point of asking about it on a forum, It's Complicated.

I have gotten rid of a shit ton of stuff over the years, including photos, diaries, millions of books, half my clothes etc so I should have know something was up if I had to ask about something I'm never going to wear.

It's a bit too upsetting to write about (and I'm at the point where I'm worried I'm gonna have bad nightmares tonight - like I said, It's Complicated). It's back in my little jewelry box for now and I'll have to deal with it later when the time is right.

Family stuff is often complicated.  :-(

Since it is DH's side of the family, would discussing it with DH be useful?

I have to admit, if I were in your shoes I would be taking the necklace to an appraiser to see if it is actually as special as aunt-in-law implied.  A cheap imitation would make everything so easy, eh?  Gone.  Worth lots of money?  Sell it and donate the proceeds to a charity that would drive Aunt-in-law bankers. 

Yes, the snark is strong today. 

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #5643 on: January 09, 2018, 02:18:10 PM »
My aunt gave me a Louis Vuitton bag that she had been gifted. At the time (only a mere 5 years ago, but feels like a lifetime in mustician years), I was thrilled. But after only using it a few times, it never "fit" my lifestyle.  I felt weird shopping at the discount grocery store with a legit LV purse, the rest of my frugal clothes didn't match the purse. It sat in my closet for years, and finally this fall I needed to get rid of it. I contemplated selling it, but instead gave it back to her with the simple comment of "I never use it, I'm sure you can find someone else who would love it".  She was not offended, and plans to give it to her daughter.

A similar approach with the necklace may be appropriate!

This weekend we packed up our entire house..does that count as clearing out the clutter?? We did a good job at paring down our stuff for the move, but I'm sure unpacking we will still find things we don't need/use.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5644 on: January 09, 2018, 02:33:09 PM »
This weekend we packed up our entire house..does that count as clearing out the clutter?? We did a good job at paring down our stuff for the move, but I'm sure unpacking we will still find things we don't need/use.

At some point, you just need to get everything packed, so getting rid of stuff just stops. Keep a box handy for everything you find as you unpack though!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5645 on: January 10, 2018, 01:12:58 AM »

Family stuff is often complicated.  :-(

Since it is DH's side of the family, would discussing it with DH be useful?

I have to admit, if I were in your shoes I would be taking the necklace to an appraiser to see if it is actually as special as aunt-in-law implied.  A cheap imitation would make everything so easy, eh?  Gone.  Worth lots of money?  Sell it and donate the proceeds to a charity that would drive Aunt-in-law bankers. 

Yes, the snark is strong today. 

Thanks for replying :) I had talked it through with DH. He's very much, whatever makes you happy. Which is fine, unless I have Complicated Feelings.

I'm happy having it sit in my jewelry box for now. I'm ignoring transphobia (for now) in favour of 'being included in an extended family thing because I am estranged by my choice from every single relative of my own and part of me wants to feel like belonging to a family thing even though the gifter is very flawed'.

and yeah, it could quite possibly be imitation pearl. My best guess is cheap farmed pearls. But, given this particular person, it could potentially be worth $. I have no idea. Will just park it in my jewelry box for now.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5646 on: January 10, 2018, 03:10:00 AM »
I have three big boxes of old photographs that have been sitting under my desk for two years now.  I tell myself that I will get around to scanning these so I can toss them.  Still haven't gotten to it.  i'm going to offer up some $ to the kids if they will do it.  I like a spare, uncluttered house, and those three boxes are like a weight around my neck. 

Worst case scenario -- I am FIREing next summer, so I could do it as a FIRE project.  :(

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5647 on: January 10, 2018, 07:28:09 AM »
I have three big boxes of old photographs that have been sitting under my desk for two years now.  I tell myself that I will get around to scanning these so I can toss them.  Still haven't gotten to it.  i'm going to offer up some $ to the kids if they will do it.  I like a spare, uncluttered house, and those three boxes are like a weight around my neck. 

Worst case scenario -- I am FIREing next summer, so I could do it as a FIRE project.  :(

Ahhhh. . . photos. I hadn't even mentally crossed into that place, but yes, I too have a bunch of physical photos that need to be scanned. I also have am trying to reduce my Facebook usage. The only reason I really use it now is to store photos, and share with others. A much better option would be to upload & manage my photos, and arrange by photo books (if I want one physical version). Photos need some more thinking on my part - clearly!

On my side, found one more item to sell on eBay. I plan to get another 10-15 items listed on Friday.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5648 on: January 10, 2018, 08:27:14 AM »
Sold a pair of boots through the online consignment place yesterday, and shipping another pair this morning that I sold on Kijiji. :)

Oh, why did you guys have to mention photos?! Ack... one thing at a time. I will deal with the photos in due course. I need to finish the spare bedroom/office swap first and I’ll have a better workspace to organize photos...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5649 on: January 10, 2018, 10:30:16 AM »
3 boxes of photos? You're so lucky. My mom does genealogy. She has 5-6 large boxes of just big photo albums. Another 8-9 boxes of loose photos and small albums. That's not counting the 3 boxes of albums, photos, and slides that she's got in her house from my dad's side of the family. I think 3 boxes of books and papers. These are not shoe boxes either. They're at least the "small" moving boxes, some are larger.

Oh, and none of this "can" be discarded. Even if you scan it first. I have no idea who else in the family(ies) may want this stuff. And mom will basically murder anyone who gets rid of genealogy. Suggestions? Cause I'm at a loss.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!